Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

how about drinking?

Comments

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited January 2021

image alt="Hello GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY"> My last nite one got screwed up.

• camillegal
    edited January 2021

image alt="Hello GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY">

• camillegal
    edited January 2021

Mornin ladies, I can't get my pics to print???

w've gotten lots of snow too and cold, I' consider this the real winter now.

Lori that pic looks like a train wreck rather than a backup, I've learned more about AZ weather from u and my brother live there 5 yrs and I went there a couple of times. I was afraid of flying then too and I still remember my other brother literally pulling my fingers of the sides of the entrance and pushing me on the plane ALONE and my mom crying cuz she wouldn't fly but she sent me. such a loving family. What kind of cookies LOL

I'm not saying a thing about ur age chevy, since I've lost so much memory, I can't count that high.

I can't keep my eyes open so I'll be back latah.

LUBS U ALL

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited January 2021

Aw geez Cammi! I thought WTH is she doing? Hah! You mean to copy & paste? 1/2 the time I can't do anything either! You mean pics of your little cats? Janie has been sending me cute little video's of her two kittens playing together... One crawls up her back whenever she bends over, and sits on her shoulders, and plays with her hair... So cute! The same one jumped on my head when I was on her couch, and thought she was in a nest! Hah!

Man, we have given up flying also... such a hassle... They can come see us.

Still waiting to hear when we can get a vaccine... Without driving to another city, or after dark! What a CF!!! Always in the news here... and they WON'T vaccinate if they find out you are from a different county!

I don't think I have lost some memory.... at least I can't remember if I did or not.Singing But my poor Husband is having an awful time....It's sad, to see him so depressed & confused... but that's what I'm here for... Going on 64 years married, almost. He was 18 when I met him... I had just graduated high-school... I met him at the Scotchman Drive In! I pulled in driving my Dad's big old '51 Buick & parked nest to him in his big blue '51 Old's. He looked over and said "Big car ya got there.".... And I most politely said "I'm a big girl!".... And that was the start of our lives together!

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408
    edited January 2021

Here on the far north side/Evanston we got 6.1" as of 10pm last night. Another inch or two of "lake effect" overnight. More (perhaps much more, plus freezing rain/ice) coming this weekend. 28F now, but going down into the single-digits tonight. (Back to letting the faucets trickle).

Had the Mumm Napa last night. Not sure about tonight...hot toddy with Stevia???

• beaverntx
    beaverntx Member Posts: 2,962
    edited January 2021

Sandy, hot toddy sounds very tempting for tonight!!!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,311
    edited January 2021

Just discovered Tate's Bake Shop cookies from Southampton, NY. I bought the Butter Crunch and managed to eat an entire 'sleeve' last night. Of course that was only 7 cookies, but still.... I skipped the Baileys.

• chisandy
    edited January 2021

Whenever I see Tate's cookies at Whole Foods, I back away slowly... If I didn't have High Key mini-biscotti (more like micro-biscotti), Fat Snax chocolate chip cookies and Catalina Crunch fake Oreos in the house, no telling how much Tate's I'd buy and then binge. The keto versions aren't addictive (probably because they're not very bingeworthy--they taste just close enough to the real thing to satisfy my curiosity without going overboard). I know where we keep Bob's favorite Girl Scout Thin Mints and Smores and the dark chocolate Little Schoolboy cookies...and I don't dare open that cabinet.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,909
    edited January 2021

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Thirsty Thursday! Another dusting of snow coming down this ayem, another inch or 2 due overnight. Supposed to be the fluffy, blow around type. I like that kind of snow, easy to take care of and move around. Sadie has a tendency to root around in the fluffy snow and end up with a pile on her snout. Someday I'll be quick enough to get a picture of that!

I did some research on the double masking thing yesterday:

1: the CDC, WHO, and other authorities are not currently recommending or requiring double masking at this time.

2: most of the benefit reported is coming from improving the fit of the face covering in general. To be protective the mask must touch the face all the way around, no gaps or openings where air can flow without being filtered through something. Paper masks, which come in various sizes and dimensions often leave gaps on the sides. Putting a second mask on frequently closes or minimizes that gap.

3: those recommending double masking are usually talking about putting a cloth mask over a paper mask or wearing 2 paper masks.

4: those saying that hospital workers have been double masking are misunderstanding what is really happening. HCWs wear N95 masks, and are often given one N95 for a week or more. The N95 becomes less protective when it gets wet or dirty, so many HCW wear a paper mask over the N95 to protect the N95 so it will be effective longer and to make limited supplies last longer.

5: adding a third mask will not increase the level of protection by more than a percentage half point or so, but will start to make breathing and being heard when speaking harder. Wearing 3 masks is discouraged because it will be more uncomfortable and cause people to touch/adjust the mask more often, or stop wearing them entirely. Remember to sanitize your hands after touching your mask-EVERY TIME.

Just for helping people understand, medical grade paper masks and N95 masks are designed to be worn once, for about 20 minutes, and then thrown away. The only reason these masks are being worn longer than 20 minutes or more than once is because of the supply shortage. Before COVID-19 a HCW coming out of a patient room and not removing and throwing away the mask would be disciplined for violating infectious disease precautions.

Karen--Happy Cancerversary! 15 years is GREAT!

Goldie--I'm praying the virus stays out of my school, too, but with 2 students in quarantine as close contacts and with how interrelated the students are across the schools, I'm afraid it's inevitable. But, we are still working hard to keep it out to see if we can that off. Right now there are 2 outbreaks affecting the school district, one at a day care and one at a fast food place where several students work part time. That's a pretty impressive pic of the pile up. You know it's pretty bad when the big rigs are piling up like that. I can't imagine getting stranded on a road way in a storm, that has got to be one frightening experience. Has that ever happened to you?

Chevy--I've seen pictures of those frames before. Are they comfortable to wear? I often breathe through my mouth while wearing a mask, mostly to keep my chin down so the mask doesn't ride up into my eyes. I'm afraid when mask wearing days are over I'm going to be walking around with my mouth wide open still!

Cammy Cat--I'm sorry your pic won't print. I love seeing your pics! I can imagine it did help the fear of flying to get pushed onto a plane all by yourself like that!

Chevy--what a sweet how-we-met story!

Chi--that lake effect snow sounds pretty intense sometimes! How does the taste of Stevia compare to granulated sugar?

Morning, Beaver!

Minus--I can relate to eating an entire sleeve of cookies. Aren't all foods packaged in individual serving sizes?

Straight on shot of a Sugar Cookie Cocktail topped with whipped cream in a sprinkle rimmed cocktail glass on 2 blue tiled coasters with miniature sugar cookies, a straw, an additional cocktail and a jar of sprinkles surrounding the glass.

Sugar Cookie Cocktail

Ingredients

• 7 ounces Bom Bom Nilli Vanilli
    • 2 ounces Vanilla Vodka
    • 2 ounces Amaretto
    • ¼ tsp Natural Butter or Almond Extract
    • 2 tsp Agave plus more for rim

Optional for Garnish: sprinkles, whipped cream, miniature sugar cookies

Instructions

• Coat the rim of 2 glasses with agave and dip in either sprinkles or cinnamon-sugar. Set aside.
    • In a cocktail shaker, or mason jar, mix together the Bom Bom Nilii Vanilli, vodka, amaretto, extract and agave. Shake until chilled to the touch, about 15 seconds.
    • Fill rimmed glasses with ice. Strain cocktail into glasses and enjoy!

From <https://www.nospoonnecessary.com/sugar-cookie-cocktail/>

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,606
    edited January 2021

Thanks KIm, but its not till next week - The 3rd is when I heard the words, but records say the 2nd as that is day of biopsy. No celebrating early for this girl, even though this time 15 years ago, I was going through all the extra mammos, ultrasoounds etc.

Waiting a bit text DD#1 to find out how SIL is doing. He's been in the hospital since Sunday morning - not Covid. She says care is awful because the hospital is over run with Covid patients so response time for him is slow. Also she is only allowed to visit twice/week and by appointment. Her FIL just tested positive for Covid. Needless to say I'm beyond stressed and worried. With border closures and quarantine, I can't really go be with her. Maybe, I need to bake some cookies to mail.

Using my Cubii for my hour morning exercise. Still too dark and cold to walk early, plus yesterday afternoon I fell twice.

Stay warm and stay safe.

• JCSLibrarian
    JCSLibrarian Member Posts: 548
    edited January 2021

Good morning! Weather here is our typicalnice winter day; cool, but sunny and just a bit breezy. Will be taking a walk in a short while. Yesterday I went for my annual physical with my PCP. I am annoyingly healthy! Vitamin D is great. He is testing my B12 to see if that could be the cause of my neuropathy. We chuckled about how grey his hair is. Guess I have been going to him for a while.

When I say my DH cannot get off the floor it is because he is afraid he might feel pain. He is supposed to lay flat on the floor, stretch his arms over his head and touch the floor with his elbows. This will stretch his chest. Somehow DH cannot do that correctly. Then when he gets up, he cannot bend his knees (again afraid of pain) and pulls himself up using the coffee table. I tried to demonstrate to him how he ‘should’ be able to get up using his own body weight. He does not understand how one moves, stretches, bends or uses muscles. Oh well! One of those things I should have noticed 46 years ago!

My new toaster oven will be delivered this afternoon. Hopefully it will do what I want it to and I can get the regular toaster off the counter. I am not fond of all the clutter from small appliances sitting around not being used. I also went to a local vacuum store and purchased a new vacuum cleaner. I love the way the bags can be changed. It also has several other improvements. I hope to use it and see some improvement in the layer of cat hair! DH will need some training as he does some of the vacuuming. He is the one that has broken the previous two. LOL!

Still waiting to hear back from the Covid drive thru site about my volunteering. I will keep checking as my shift is next week. Also will be taking a drive/hike tomorrow. It is time to get out and see some other things! Stay safe and happy!

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    edited January 2021

Got ready to leave yesterday, first chore was to load 8 bags of pellets (40 lbs ea.) into the back of the pick up. DH helped with that as they were the low ones, and I can't do those by myself. Went to town, dropped him off at dr.s and I went to Wal Mart, pick him up, go get gas, I pump. Get home, I bring all the groceries inside and ask him if he could put them away. Then I bring the 8 bags of pellets into the house. I bought one of those Grill Rescue brush cleaners and went out and cleaned my grill. Then I went and shoveled snow in front of the warehouse for our UPS drivers. This morning, DH gets up and then comes back to bed. A few minutes later I ask him if our coffee is ready, he says "no, we both forgot to make it". WHATTTTTTT?

Oh dear Cami, being forced to fly and your mom crying but yet she wouldn't? How old were you?

Chevy, it's been on the news here too about elderly's trying to get the vax, and even doing all the computer stuff that they tell you to, but still no luck, just like you. Sweet story of you and DH, but I'm sorry for the decline in his memory. You've been with him for 64 years, no sense leaving now!

Sandy, stay safe.

Minus, I like anything choc. chip and only if I do the baking, which isn't very often. I like a peanut butter, oatmeal choc. chip with nuts, I think is my favorite. I've mentioned before, I'm not much of a sweet eater.

NM, interesting about the masks. I haven't doubled up at all, but we don't have to go many places, groceries and drs, that's it, we go no where else. If we eat out, which I hardly do as it's mostly fast food and I'm not a fan of that either, we do drive up. DH LOVES Arby's and Taco Bell, I can't stomach either one of them. I think you are right about the virus inevitably getting into your school. LOL at you walking around with your mouth open when we no longer need masks!

We never got stuck in a storm, at least not on the freeway/overnight. We had one like that many years ago, we were in Laughlin and weren't aware of it. I don't remember how long it took us to get home and we were stuck on that same freeway for an hour or so as a truck jack knifed, but it was cleared out and we were back on our way. We got 3' of snow that year and could not get through our dirt roads. Shortly befor our last turn off, a pick up got stuck in front of us and no one could get by. They had a new born in the truck with no heat so we took the baby in the car with us. Even the police, that were coming in from the back side were getting stuck. Eventually everyone got out, a local farmer, that I knew, came by with his sons and shovels. We ended going to their house and spending the night. The next night we went into town and got a hotel, still couldn't get in. Our neighbor was up and attempted to get out, you couldn't even tell where the roads were, he got stuck and had to walk about 4 miles back to his place and got frost bite. So, he went to our house and got our quad, took me back, and then back to get DH and our luggage, all on the quad. He took our truck home and then in a few days, when we could, we went and got his truck. Eventually meeting up in Phoenix to get our own trucks back.

Karen, sorry to hear about your SIL, glad it's not Covid, but his dad is positive for it. Praying your DD stays safe. Cookies can't hurt, right? I know how you would like to be there for her.

JCS, I love it "annoyingly healthy". Stay that way! There are several factors as to why mine can't get up, RA, neuropathy in his feet and he can't move his toes and the drop foot, weight and the muscle atrophy in his hand.

DH saw the vascular PA yesterday and was told he needs to see a cardio. So he has appt. with PC to get that prior auth next week, along with another dr appt and PT. So out 3 times next week!

• Chevyboy
    edited January 2021

Image may contain: one or more people, people dancing, people on stage, shoes and indoor

Cams, this is for you... I mean me... Hah! Couldn't resist! I fell off of our 2 step stool while working on the top shelf in the closet. Actually I didn't fall...well, yes I did.... I stepped down, only I forgot the other step, and fell across our wooden side of the day-bed... Now THAT hurt. But good thing it broke my fall, because it kept me from landing on that broken hip, Hah! Anyway my cracked ribs are better! Even us old folks heal fast!

I've been cleaning & organizing stuff... Found my Mom's old Bible... So sweet to look through it, and see all her notes & clippings she stuck in there... She belonged to Al-Anon, and her book-marks & thoughts really mean a lot to me.

And yes Native! Those mask frames really feel comfortable on me! I ordered them twice, and have given a couple away.

Still trying to get the covid-vaccine.... What a joke! I have registered for every store around here, at least once! We will get one sooner or later... I was wondering, I wonder if us getting the Senior Flu shot in November protects us more? I mean against this virus? We HAVE been really careful though.... No partying.... Winking

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,972
    edited January 2021

vax # 2 done, now we wait....

• Chevyboy
    edited January 2021

Congratulations Jazzy! Still can't get an appointment here in Denver. Signed up all over the place.

• goldie0827
    edited January 2021

OMG ED, I'm cracking up! Did you make that of Bernie, or find it online? Doesn't matter, so apprope'! I love it. I hate that you broke ribs, but hurting already a broken hip is worse. How sweet to find those things in your moms bible.

Jazzy, good to see you and congrats on finishing up on that vax. See you soon.

• karen1956
    edited January 2021

Jazz - I get #2 tomorrow. I'm planning on a side effect and will be pleasantly surprised and pleased if I don't

• chisandy
    edited January 2021

Jazzy, congrats on shot #2! Be nice to yourself the next couple of days...order out for chicken soup. But don't take anything for the aches & fever until at least a couple of hours after they kick in. If you do take something, acetminophen is preferable to an NSAID.

I learned from the aggregator AppleNews (I think it may have been either WaPo or HuffPo) that Bob's & my mask behavior when dining out (whether in open air or a tent) has been all wrong. He puts his on the table, I hang mine from my ear--nope! Both expose the inside of the mask to aerosols or droplets. Lanyards are similarly hazardous. And taking off the mask only between bites & sips is bad because of having to handle it too often. The proper thing to do with your mask is to first sanitize your hands (preferably from your own supply or a bottle on the table), keep it on till the drinks &/or food arrives- then fold it in on itself so the inside is not exposed, and then do one of three things: 1) put it in your pocket or purse (preferably in a fresh baggie or envelope; 2) put it in a fresh brown paper bag; or 3) roll it up with only the outside showing, then use the ear loops to dangle it off your wrist or forearm like a bracelet. Then keep it off & don't put it back on or even touch it till you're done eating & drinking, and have sanitized your hands again. If the restaurant (or local regulations) require you to be masked whenever interacting with a server or other staffer, bring a second mask (disposable) and put it on only then (put it away between interactions).

In the interim, I have either been wearing a cloth mask over a surgical one to hold the former tighter to my face, or using a KN95, of which I now have a large enough supply to discard it after each use of >1-2 hrs. I have an N95, but am holding it in reserve and will cover it with a surgical mask to preserve it. My ocular oncologist's clinic at UIC Health requires using a surgical mask you receive at the door--either over or instead of your own mask. I discard their mask in my car's litter bag after my appt. (I also discard the one my hair salon issues me as soon as I reach my car).

I did have to wear my KN95 in the house today--because the plumbers came over. I awoke to find water on my basement stairs--the source was the escutcheon and other "joints" of my kitchen's pull-out faucet. It's only 2 yrs. old, but it's a Moen and therefore guaranteed for life (but not the installation labor--that's only 1 yr.). My first-floor bathroom faucet was also dribbling from the handle, but harmlessly into the sink and not beneath it. I wanted a better kitchen faucet (a Delta or Grohe, for which I'd have been willing to shell out several hundred bucks), but they'd have had to go out and buy it and I'd have had no usable kitchen sink for at least a day. They had the same model Moen on the truck, so they installed it and gave me the necessary documentation to send to Moen, who would send me a new one to keep as a backup for the next time (heaven forbid). Moen doesn't refund, only replace. It would have cost me more in parts & labor to replace the faucet's innards than the cost to buy and install the new one. (What I really wanted was one of those professional-model pull-down pot-filler faucets with no plastic whatsoever, but I don't have enough clearance beneath my cabinet).

As for the bathroom faucet, we discovered that the supply pipes are so old that they're corroded. Apparently, the contractor who rehabbed that bathroom in 1994 kept the original pipes--which date back to at least the 1950s. That bathroom's tub & shower are unusable because those pipes are also trashed--but even if they were to break open the wall and replace them, the supply line coming from the city has inadequate pressure. So we have only one working shower--the one in the master bath. There's a handheld in the attic's ancient tub, but that's only for overnight guests who don't want to use the second-floor guest room (which used to be Gordy's) & share the master bath.

On to drinking--which was essential tonight. More of that Mumm Napa Blanc de Noirs 2014. (Nothing from the Drinkworks machine--my weight mgmt. NP told me absolutely no alcohol other than dry wine or straight booze).

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 945
    edited January 2021

Minus, you mentioned Baileys and cookies....per my previous post I'm a fan. Goldie, we received a literal 15 pounds of chocolates and cookies for Christmas from family who is overseas currently. I have been trying to slowly (ha) eat my way through. I'm a real chocolate fan and there were lots of good shortbread and chocolate covered this and thats. I did gain a few pounds from this nonsense so I'm getting back on track soon (I promise myself 🙄).

NM that drink picture is awesome! Might have to break routine!

Happy Friday all! Keep well. ☕🍷🌨

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,909
    edited January 2021

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy TGIF day! Half day with the kiddos, then meetings and moving around some food supplies for the food program. Right in the middle of COVID ramping up in the school community/county the powers-that-be come out with a whole new set of testing/monitoring/quarantine guidelines, creating massive confusion as the school nurses got the info before the doctor's offices. Sometimes this whole COVID thing is so frustrating some times. But, we are managing to sort things out and get our doc's updated and keep on keeping on.

Hard to believe the Challenger disaster was so long ago, 35 years. There were 2 Maine teacher in the news about it, one was a student of Christa McAuliffe's, and one was a teacher who was one of the 100 finalists.

Sadie says Hi to everyone!

Karen---after 15 years I say you are entitled to start celebrating a week early if you want! Diagnosis date is one of the dates that sticks in the mind, isn't it? Sorry to hear about SIL. It must be so hard to not be able to go and help. How did you manage to fall twice? Did you get hurt at all?

Librarian--you might want to warn DH that if he doesn't bend his knees and do all those things, the muscles and tendons will tighten up and they will REALLY hurt and truly limit his mobility. I have arthritis in my right knee that flared up, I couldn't get up stairs using the right leg first for several days, and now that the pain has diminished I am having to build up that muscle strength again. Yesterday I could go up two steps using that leg first, 2 weeks ago I was going up stairs normally. That's how quick you can lose ability. Enjoy the new appliances! I've read that small appliances should not be on the counter unless you use them at least twice a week, other wise they should be stored in cabinets or on shelves.

Goldie--Good heavens, DH needs to have God drop a brick wall on his head or something. Wow, that was quite the adventure, getting stuck like that. So nice to hear about people pulling together and helping each other out. Sounds like DH is going to be busy with the medical appointments for a while.

Chevy--Hmm, maybe I'll try one of those mask frames. The thing I really do not like about the masks is the way they suck in against my mouth and nose when I inhale. The flu vaccine won't help against COVID, the two viruses are quite different. It is interesting that there have been ZERO hospitalizations for flu so far this winter in Maine!

WTG, Jazzy!And Karen!

Chi--hoo, boy, never a dull moment in a home owner's life! Glad you were able to get it fixed quickly.

Reader--hope you enjoy if you do break routine!

OK, running a bit late this ayem, so DOTD is add whatever you want to a cup of coffee and enjoy!

• Chevyboy
    edited January 2021

Image may contain: outdoor and nature

• karen1956
    edited January 2021

Kim - can't celebrate early as this was when I was going through all the crap leading up to biopsy - but it sticks out in my mind. 10 days or so from annual mammo to biopsy - got call back on a Thursday - Monday second mammo and ultrasound and Thursday bioipsy, Friday told the horrid news. After ultrasound they wouldn't let me leave till they called and scheduled ultrasound. Biopsy was 02/02/06 and that is the day of diagnosis in my records but I didn't hear the news till the 3rd. Of course during biopsy, I said to doctor, I don't know how I"ll tell my daughter who just started second semester in University out of state and she said "you'll have to tell her". Also during ultrasound after technician spent forever radiologist came in and said I was ? (don't remember the word) as a good technician found it. Both those comments still resonate all these years later. Same with my wig - it still sits on the foam head 14 3/4 years later because I'm scared to give it away that something bad might happen. I quit wearing it during chemo as I. hated it. i think I wore it maybe 10 times. I fell on black ice. Thankfully I wasn't hurt. Thanks for asking.

Have a great Friday/

• goldie0827
    edited January 2021

Sandy, glad your water issues were not huge ones. One of the reasons I don't go out to eat, is having to remove my mask. I have carried mine folded and around my wrist. The only other time mine comes down is when I have to wipe my drippy nose. I remove one ear strap, wipe and put it right back on. And I do this where I am the only one around or more than 6' from a person. We have cloth masks and they are only worn once and I wash them. It also amazes me at how many people, doctors included, grab the outside of the mask to bring it back up over their nose. The only place I touch my mask is on the inside, or the ear straps.

Reader, that's a lot of cookies and chocolate!

NM, sorry about massive confusion at school. Praying for your safety, Karen's as well and anyone else working with the public. Wow, you really did lose mobility quick.

Karen, so glad you didn't get hurt. I gave my wigs away.

Jazzy, are you getting any of this moisture? I know you need it as bad as we do.

Nothing to report over here. Supposed to be windy with possible rain.

Another DOTD-Mass Confusion

See the source image

1/4 oz DeKuyper® raspberry schnapps

1/4 oz DeKuyper® Blue Curacao liqueur

1/4 oz Absolut® Mandrin vodka

1/4 oz triple sec

1 splash 7-Up® soda

1 splash sweet and sour mix

Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker with a few ice cubes. Shake and strain into a shot glass or old-fashioned glass. Serve

• JCSLibrarian
    edited January 2021

Went for a hike today. It was sunny, but cool and not as wet as I thought it would be. Nice drive and great to get out of the house.

Think DH needs to get his sunglasses adjusted?????

• JCSLibrarian
    edited January 2021

Trying to post some pictures of our hike today. It is not working for me. I guess on will have to be enough. When I try to post the selfie, it shows us upside down! Oh well, it is Friday...

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,716
    edited January 2021

JCS, looks like you had a good time and a beautiful view.

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,972
    edited January 2021

Hi there - doing okay. Sore heavy arm. A bit achy today but nothing bad. Worked from home & now relaxing

I heard #2 is much worse but thankful it's not too bad.

Back this weekend. Stay tuned

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited January 2021

Popping in for a quick visit here. DH finally got an appointment for vaccine #1, which is coming up on Weds., 2/3. He will likely self medicate with a nip of cognac or some whisky laced tea. Good for everyone able to get 1st & 2nd vaccines and hope your after-effects are diminishing.

jhl - Yes, will have to file 2020 taxes to get my $ - Looked at this when first found out I would not get the correct $. We usually owe, so it will offset that.

illimae & anyone else - If you did not get the $ you were entitled to, will need to file your 2020 taxes to get it. What a pain!

NM - Had to laugh at your saying DH has dementia! He is sharp as a tack, just has a complete disdain for medicines, medical procedures, etc. and a very high pain tolerance.

Someone asked about DH's contracture in his left hand. It was more bothersome than painful as he is left handed.

Cammy - Congrats are the upcoming move! Sounds like it will be a good change, once you are settled.

Goldie - You got some big snow! Here in N. Kentucky, we had about 2 inches and it caused major issues!

Chevy - Love the Bernie pic!

JCS - Nice hiking view!

Sandy - Belated Happy Birthday to you! We moved our daughter to Chicago (E. Rogers Park, N. Sheridan Rd) in the midst of a nasty Jan snowstorm! She only made it through one winter there.

Karen - Coming up on your 15 years - That is wonderful!

Had my mammo & breast surgeon visit today & all clear! (4 yrs NED). Went to the newly completed state-of-the-art cancer center for the 1st time - it is about a 5 min. drive away, has both valet parking & a parking garage. We are lucky to have access to excellent healthcare & dental care within 5-10 mins. from our front door.

After the appointment, picked up a scrip refill, picked up orders from Aldi, Meijer and Whole Foods, plus popped into Trader Joe's & Fresh Thyme. We are well stocked for whatever happens, as weather is supposed to be ugly this weekend. After all that, had my (what I considered to be well-deserved) coffee laced with Baileys (actually, it is Costco's Kirkland Brand of Irish Cream Liqueur).

Cheers to all!

• chisandy
    edited January 2021

Celia, your daughter lived about a half mile NE of me!

Karen, my abnormal-mammo report (arrived in my portal the morning after) led to a "spot-compression" mammo & ultrasound a week later--the earliest I could get. Had a nonrefundable trip planned for the next day, so by the time I'd have had to stop certain meds before the biopsy I'd have been in New Orleans in the midst of an entertainment-law course. After that, a gig in Scranton and a folk festival Labor Day weekend. So the biopsy was 2 weeks after the imaging--and I got the bad news the next evening. 5-1/2 yrs. ago, seems like only yesterday (but while those years were happening, it felt like time was dragging on).

I've seen plastic frames to wear under a surgical mask to make it fit better and keep it from collapsing when you breathe. Meanwhile, Chicago is set to move to Phase 4 of reopening, but unlike other regions, keeping the 25-person/25% capacity indoor dining limit, rather than allowing the 40/40 limit we had last summer during Phase 4--the city wants to keep up the progress we've been making due to obeying mitigations. But restaurants & bars would be able to seat parties of 6 (it's 4 now), seating at the bar (stools 6' apart) would be allowed, alcohol could be served till 11pm and restaurants & non-essential businesses could stay open till midnight. Indoor gatherings would increase to a max. of 40 people from the current 10. Still not gonna take any chances till at least a week after my second shot.

Bob came home for dinner, so with the Alaskan salmon I made, I Coravined a 2015 Williams-Selyem Russian River Valley Pinot Noir, and he opened a 2018 Kendall Jackson Chardonnay. Earlier, after seeing too many of the "you do joyful" Starbucks commercials ending with a pic of a Honey Almondmilk Flat White, I decided to try making one--only with sugar-free imitation honey and unsweetened vanilla almond milk with a dollop of heavy cream for texture. Surprisingly decent.

• beaverntx
    beaverntx Member Posts: 2,962
    edited January 2021

Dinner last two evenings has been homemade pizza; go with beverage was a Ken Volk nonvintage Old Vine Red, a blend of Movedre, Cabernet Pfieffer, and Zinfandel.

Jazzy, hope the soreness is gone soon.

Still waiting to get a vaccine appointment, on three waiting lists and checking at least two other sites regularly.