Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

how about drinking?

Comments

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,907
    edited January 2022

Good Morning, Loungettes!Happy Monday Monkey Day! Saturday's storm was entertaining to watch and listen too, lots of light fluffy snow, lots of wind, some white out conditions, lots of trees dancing. It would have been a lot more fun to watch with Sadie curled up on my feet keeping them warm. Got about 20 inches here, hard to tell for sure with all the drifting. Looks like more snow coming in for Friday. Looks like we're going to get winter all at once this year. Surprisingly, I didn't lose either internet or power this weekend. Mom got through the storm just fine, except for discovering that she can't shovel snow anymore. She says the shovel is too heavy to pick up by itself, it must be made of some heavier plastic than they used to be made from. I know she hasn't got the upper body strength she used to have, she struggles with taking baking pans out of the oven and carrying things of any weight at all, but she blames it on the things being made heavier than they used to. She totally ignores having had 3 shoulder surgeries, including one replacement and age having any effect at all.

Karen--seems staff for schools is hard to come by everywhere. Our new social worker starts this week or next, it sounds like an offer is out for the psychologist position. Here's praying these work out!

Chi/Jazzy--the financial apps are really amazing!

Karen--it's funny to hear about mask mandates expiring when more and more businesses and towns here in Maine are instituting them. I get nervous when I'm out and about and have seriously limited my time out again, too.

Goldie--Glad you have a working washer. The automatic water level thing could be helpful, but there should also be a manual override. Some things just clean better with more water to move around in. The storm was pretty wild, but no big problems.

Jazzy--I am more than ready for vacay at this point, especially when looking at the snowbanks on the side of the roads and my driveway. I should get Dad's old snowshoes out and see if I can still get around on them in my yard. It's been a long time since I've tried them out.

Minus--{{{hugs}}}

Chevy--I remember my grandmother using a wringer washer. I still have the stick she used to use to poke and move the clothes around in the big tub when she rinsed, it's still got the blue coloring from the bluing she would use on the whites to keep them bright. She didn't have a yard, so she had clotheslines strung up in her basement to hang them on until she got a dryer. I'm with you about not wanting to catch COVID at all. This omicron variant is supposed to be milder, but it's making some of our kids really sick for while, and some can't even handle a full day at school when they first come back, and need half days for a week or so. So far the vaccinated kiddoes aren't coming down with it, or at least aren't showing symptoms if they do catch it so we never know.

Minus--I remember ironing handkerchiefs and pillow cases. I remember the "flower," a metal sprinkler attached to a cork that fit into a bottle that could be filled with water to sprinkle on creased or hard to smooth clothes. The first time I ever say a mangle was when I started working as a chambermaid for a nearby motel, those things were scary!

Karen--soups and stews are great meals for this time of year! I love making them in the crockpot and smelling them as they cook all day.

Make this Slow Cooker Spiced Rum Cocktail for a stay at home cold weather cocktail!

Slow Cooker Spiced Rum Cocktail

Ingredients

• 4 cups apple cider
    • 1 1/2 cups cranberry juice
    • 2 cups Spiced Rum
    • 2 cinnamon sticks
    • 18 oz. bag fresh cranberries
    • 2 apples, sliced into thin rounds
    • 3 star anise, plus more for garnish

Instructions

1. Add all ingredients to a slow cooker and turn on low for 3-4 hours.
    2. Pour into mugs and garnish with fruits from the slow cooker.
    3. Keep warm as needed in the slow cooker.

From <https://www.mantitlement.com/slow-cooker-spiced-rum-cocktail/>

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,606
    edited January 2022

Kim, when do you leave? If I remember correctly it’s in a few days. In the meantime drive safe and stay warm.

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited January 2022

How FUN reading what you gals wrote! Yes! I was still using a wringer washer in about 1961 when Janie was born... Had it hooked up in the kitchen by the sink somehow. And one time I plugged it in down on the floor, and it must have been wet, because that thing threw me across the kitchen into the wall! I was pretty DAZED... I mean even more than I am now.... Hah!

And falling over that heavy basket of clothes, when I was pregnant, carrying it outdoors to hang them... I remember asking the old Landlord "Why don't you just let those chicken eggs hatch? And then you will have more chickens!" But he mumbled, "Go ask Bea!".... His wife.... so she said "Because you have to have a rooster"... And brainless me said "But you already HAVE the eggs, just leave them long enough!

So THEN she explained you have to have a ROOSTER to fertilize the HEN while the damn eggs are in her! So that's how I learned that chickens do it too! I mean, how was I supposed to know? They didn't have roosters.

And YES! I used to take-in ironing, to make extra money... and do hair for my friends! I would set up the ironing board out on the back patio, take out the little portable tape player, crank it up and singing along with Bette Midler "Cry Cry Baby" ... ANYthing to make it fun, right?

I'm TRYing to learn how to adjust to things being different around here, with my dear Husband... But sometimes it's just frustrating and I think I should go outdoors and bang my head on the house, or something, just to calm down. I know I can't change some things, right? I have to learn to accept and adjust and ignore these new changes in our lives.

But I google all the time... And learn that Alzheimer's and Dementia are just hard on everybody. And I am not alone in this... Sometimes when I read the symptoms, I just cry.... because I live with this. So come hell or highwater, I am going to handle it.... I will not ever let him be alone, or have someone else take care of him... He is mine, and no matter what comes along, I can do this. I mean what ELSE can happen this year, right?

I thank God every day for what we have, and that we are not sick or broke, and have each other....

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,708
    edited January 2022

Chevyboy, I’m sorry about DH. My grandpa had a blood clot form in his brain (wood chopping accident) but the symptoms were very similar, once my mom and I visited, he didn’t know who we were and tried to auction off the kitchen pots and pans. Diseases that affect the brain and personality are especially cruel. I can’t imagine living with it every day, I wish you all the best.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408
    edited February 2022

Chevy, so sorry for what you're going through with your DH.

Bob went back to work today. Meanwhile, I was feeling ever worse all week despite repeatedly rapid-testing negative every other day. Began feeling a scratchy throat with morning postnasal drip around Tuesday. Test: negative. Wed. & Thurs. began feeling "off," with that weird tired feeling in the throat like you're about to come down with a cold. Thurs. tested negative. Fri. morning woke up feeling fever-ish. Oral temp 98.9, ear temp 100.1. Tested again: negative again. But I was feeling quite suspicious, so decided Sat. morning I'd go to Immediate Care for a flu test. Sat. morning woke up feeling definitely "flu-y." Temp 100.4, so had to take Tylenol. Went to Immediate Care, got seen right away, All vitals good, even temp (98.9). Then came the dreaded "brain stab." 20 minutes later came the answer: Negative for flu....but PCR test was positive for COVID.

Guess I could dodge that bullet only so long. The NP told me I could count Thurs. as Day 1 for isolation purposes, but on the bright side Bob & I didn't need to isolate from each other. Later Sat. I picked up my Paxlovid from Glenbrook Hospital's pharmacy (I had to pull up, call them, and they actually dropped it through my open car window). Sat. night was my last Tylenol--no fever since then. So if I test negative tomorrow, that's Day 6 and I can end house arrest. Paxlovid seems to be working--almost no side effects except it gives me the munchies, my left thigh ache has returned, and my saliva tastes bitter (especially after eating something sweet). So now I know what Malørt or Jägermeister must taste like, so I needn't try it and report back on it as a DOTD.

Well, good thing, because I have to go back to Immediate Care in the morning. Early this evening, Happy was snuggling me in my recliner and suddenly got overstimulated and bit my face--third time in four years. Spent interminable time (and two phone calls) trying to reach the on-call doctor to find out whether to start taking amoxicillin, of which I have a large fresh supply (for upcoming dental appointments). But when she finally called back, she said to be seen tomorrow; and that amox. isn't strong enough--I'll need Augmentin. And by now, almost all the pharmacies were closed. Bob, fortunately, was home from work and on the treadmill, so he wrote me a prescription and filled it.

I need a drink, but not with Augmentin. Too close to bedtime--it'll give me heartburn.

• nativemainer
    edited February 2022

Good Morning, Loungettes!Happy Twofer Tuesday! Fun times at school yesterday, Somewhere, somehow, it got decided that our pool testing day was changed to Mondays, I found out after school started. So I had to scramble to get that going and get everyone swabbed and all the paperwork and scanning done in time to get the samples to the currier pick up, which is earlier on Mondays than on Tuesdays. I got it done, but I did grumble a bit. Now we wait for results. The Maine CDC put the sister school in outbreak status yesterday. My school now has 2 staff out COVID related, so we will stay in outbreak status for a while, as that alone meets the 15% absenteeism threshold for staff. I am so ready for this to be done with!

Karen-- I leave in 16 days, not that I have the count on the calendar or anything! Working on staying warm, it's 8 below this ayem. Got what sounds like a real mess coming in Thursday and Friday. I suspect there are some remote learning days in the near future.

Chevy--Ah, the moments in life when we learn the important lessons about how things work! They do make for funny memories later. I used to iron a lot of my clothes, used to set up the ironing board in the living room where I could watch TV while I was doing it. Dementia is a terribly cruel disease. Your DH is so very lucky to have you taking care ofhim, and you do such a good job with the whole situation.

Illi--that must have been so hard to go through with your grandpa.

Chi--oh my, after all you've gone through to avoid COVID it went and caught you anyway! And then to have that happen with Happy! I'm glad you are not feeling too terrible, and I pray it stays mild for you.

Frosé cocktail

frosé

• Ingredients
    • 1 cup caster sugar
    • 250g strawberries, hulled, chopped
    • 750ml bottle rosé wine
    • 1/3 cup strawberry liqueur
    • 1 cup chilled soda water
    • Extra halved strawberries, to serve

Directions

Step 1

Combine sugar and 1 cup water in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to high. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, without stirring, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Set aside to cool completely.

• Step 2
      Place strawberries in a blender. Blend until smooth, adding 1 tablespoon water to blender if needed. Strain mixture over a large jug. Stir in sugar syrup and wine. Pour mixture into a 2-litre (8-cup-capacity) metal container. Freeze overnight (see notes).
    • Step 3
      Remove container from freezer. Using a fork, flake mixture to form large ice crystals.
    • Step 4
      Combine liqueu rand soda water in a jug. Divide mixture evenly among serving glasses. Top with frosé and extra strawberries. Serve immediately.

From <https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/frose-cocktail/5LVs1boh#tabIngredients>

• karen1956
    edited February 2022

Kim, we’ll be counting the days with you.

Chevy, hugs, vent all you want. My late mother had a neurological disease and it was beyond awful to watch her decline. She was bedridden at the end. We both suffered. Glad your daughter is near by to help.

60F yesterday, low 30s today and snow comes in this afternoon. Saying 3-6. Tomorrow 16 and low 4 below. Cold Thursday too. Hoping for a late start if not snow day tomorrow.

Mask mandate for Denver expires Friday but positivity rate is still just below 20%. Yes not 30%. But still way higher than 5%. Thankfully masks still at school. Businesses can decide if they require masks or vaccination. Legislation try to pass ant discrimination bill against those not vax Ed, saying people want to work but are being prevented if not vaxxed. Can I bang my head on the wall!

Stay warm and stay safe

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,972
    edited February 2022

Chi- it's really hard to avoid the rona when someone in the house has it. One of my co-workers daughters came down with it, and three of the four tested positive. I hope you feel better soon and this move through without complication.

Thank God for vaccines, boosters and the like.....

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2022

Teka, that is too funny!

Thanks for the laundry stories, ladies! I learned to iron handkerchiefs 1st too. I still hang my clothes out in the summer.

• nativemainer
    edited February 2022

Good Morning, Loungettes!Happy Hump Day! The outbreak status saga continues at school, got one pool testing positive, one negative, and one still cooking. The formal announcement went out to parents yesterday afternoon, at least 2 kiddoes have been pulled from school by parents who are upset that we let the virus get into the school. Same parents who object every time the school goes remote or their kiddos need to test because of symptoms. I just keep wanting to say "You want the school kept open at all costs, and you resist working with us on mitigation measures, well, here's the cost, maybe you shouldhave looked at the price tag before committing to buy?" Of course, I can't say anything like that. I've got to figure out a nice, neutral, polite, respectful to angry parents thing to say to the raft of parents that will call today to rant and rave and yell at me. Some parts of my job are NOT FUN. Then there are moments like yesterday afternoon when I had two kiddos with nosebleeds in my office at the same time, so I'm sitting there pinching two noses while a teacher gloves up to help out. It was just plain funny!

Karen--thanks for helping me count! Tomorrow looks interesting weather-wise, rain is supposed to start at some point, on top of the nearly 2 feet of snow in most places is going to be a real mess, then changing into snow as a cold front moves through. Friday is snow all day, and has already been pretty much written off as a remote day. I'm more worried about driving through all the changing, slushy, icy yuck than Friday's snow, but time will tell. I hear you about the vax thing.It's getting so crazy, and so illogical.

Jazzy--It sure is hard to avoid the virus while living with it! The nurse at the sister school has had it, caught it from her husband (or from school, who really knows), then one of her children caught it just as she came out of isolation, now the other child has caught it just as the sib is coming out of isolation.

Morning, Teka! Love the Punxsutawney Phil's wife's comments!

Morning, KID!

The COVID-19 Day Drinker

• 1 ½ ounces gin (Oola is local/good)
    • 1 ½ ounces rhubarb shrub (see below)
    • 3 ounces club soda or sparkling water
    • Lemon peel twist (no pith, please! Pith equals bitter)
    • 1 jumbo ice cube (extra credit if you make your ice cubes in a silicone muffin mold with some blueberries or raspberries in each one)
    • Mint or basil sprig, if you're feeling fancy

Mix, drink.

From <https://www.seattletimes.com/life/food-drink/covid-cocktails-seattle-chefs-and-bartenders-share-recipes-for-what-theyre-drinking-now/>

• karen1956
    edited February 2022

Kim, I learned many years ago to let the parents yell/vent or whatever and don’t even listen. Usually the ones who are the loudest would yell at whoever is closest at many times it was me. I can tell lots of stories. Now my feelings go get hurt if it is something I did.

Snow day today!❄️ The district called it by 7:30 last night as was one of the last to call. By my house there is about 12” but DIA is the official weather reporter and they barely got 3” so that is what is being recorded. It’s very light fluffy snow(not the snowball/snowman building snow) so not as hard to shovel. My driveway is long so it takes some time. I shoveled for about 30 minutes and DH about 20 and it’s not done. Will finish later. Once I clean off my car, that area will need to be shoveled. Here are some photos. image

• karen1956
    edited February 2022

imagethe driveway partly shoveled to see how deep. The other photos are front of house and garden fountain in backyard. Everyone stay safe and warm.

• jazzygirl
    edited February 2022

Hi friends- we have a bit of snow going on here in New Mexico too. It stopped for the moment but may get very heavily this afternoon. Well we hope so as we have been very dry this winter and desperately need some moisture. It's snowing more in the mountains.

Be safe in this storm, its like 500 miles long and stretches from the SW up through New England.

NM- have a great time on your get away!

• chisandy
    edited February 2022

We got 8" here in my neighborhood (city's n. lakefront) and though this first wave has let up, there is more on the way. Most of the measurable/predictable stuff will be south--but as the storm itself moves south, the winds will come in across the now-thawed lake from the northeast, bringing the dreaded and infuriatingly unpredictable "lake effect plume." We could get as little as another 6" or as much as another 15" by Friday morning. My housekeeper hasn't been able to dig out, so I won't see her till at least the weekend. (Last time we saw her was Jan. 21). Just getting the trash & cat poop out to the alley will be nearly impossible. We have enough food and clean clothes, but the laundry hampers are really getting filled. Our landscaper & his snowblower can't keep up. Bob went to work yesterday, but is snowbound along with me today. He will have to

As for me, I am officially out of quarantine--but the weather gods said "here--hold my beer!" Not just thst, but in the middle of the night the Augmentin I was taking for the cat bite started doing whatever it is for which certain antibiotics are notorious. I will spare you the "organ recital" (lest it be mealtime for you), but you get my drift. My PCP said as long as the bite looks fine (which the Immediate Care NP said it does) I can stop the Augmentin. Could also have been a side effect of the Td booster they gave me yesterday morning. The one thing I won't stop is the Paxlovid--and I have only two doses remaining.

So I am done with COVID (literally), but quarantine seems to go on forever in winter. DOTD is a cup of weak Formosa Oolong. No sugar. No booze. Gotta calm down the gut.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2022

We are supposed to get a foot or so Thursday into Friday. Big surprise the groung hog says 6 more weeks of winter. It always is. Those of you that need water....well I wish you snow.

• jazzygirl
    edited February 2022

• nativemainer
    edited February 2022

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Thirsty Thursday! COVID Chaos reigns at my school. One pool came back positive, tested everyone in the pool, all negative. Another pool came back Indeterminate, so had to test everyone in that pool, all negative. So today is retest day. And it's going to be rainy all day, with temps dropping this evening and changing over to sleet, freezing rain, mixed precip, and then snow, with accumulation predictions ranging from 6 to 8 to more than 12 inches. I'm pretty sure tomorrow will be a remote day. Parents and staff are pretty worked up about being in Outbreak Status, and wanting to know what to do to get out of it. I keep wanting to tell some of them that they should have been masking appropriately last month, and not coming to school feeling sick after being exposed, and this probably wouldn't have happened, and it's too late now to fix it,keepingyour childhome out of fear is only going to prolong the Outbreak status because that is based on percentage of attendance, so you are part of the problem you are complaining about. But I'm saying all the right things, like no matter how careful you are the virus can sneak by the mitigation measures, and even thought it looks like being vaccinated isn't making a difference it really is keeping people out of the hospital and off ventilators,It bothers me that everyone is up in arms about the school being in outbreak status, but don't seem to care about hospitals being on the verge of having positive testing staff keep working. And, yes, I know that it's hard on parents who need to work and can ill afford to take time off from work to take care of their sick children, but needing to take care of sick children is not a new thing, there have been children out sick with flu, GI issues, colds, etc since schooling was invented. Can any parenthonestly expect that their child will never get sick and need to stay home from school? Or is that expecting too much of parents these days?I am really missing Silly Sadie cuddles this week.

Karen--I do keep reminding myself that parental rantings are not my problem, but theirs. I do notallow myself to say "I'm sorry this is sohard for you" and say "I regret that rules are difficult for you." or the like. 'Sorry' implies responsibility. 'Regret' acknowledges the situation and the feeling without accepting responsibility. But I still struggle with feeling responsible and not being able to fix the problem.Amazing pics!!

Jazzy--14 days to vacay!Time to start packing!

Chi--oh my, I hope the antibiotic effect eases up quickly! That's a lot of work your immune system is being put to!

KID--I had forgotten about groundhog day. It does seem to always be 6 more weeks of winter, doesn't it?

Jazzy--WOW!

Blackberry and vanilla vodka cocktail

Blackberry and vanilla vodka cocktail

Muddle and mix this fruity welcome drink in just 25 minutes.

Ingredients

• 215g (1 cup) caster sugar
    • 225g (1 1/2 cups) frozen blackberries
    • 1.25L (5 cups) berry-flavoured sparkling mineral water, chilled
    • 375ml (1 1/2 cups) vanilla vodka, chilled
    • 125ml (1/2 cup) fresh lime juice

From <https://www.google.com/search?q=cocktail+recipe&client=firefox-b-1-d&channel=tus5&sxsrf=APq-WBspyNMDITSOdo1eO4CeowYFUItMKA:1643887868055&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwit3LPDt-P1AhVbJUQIHUFuCnIQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw#imgrc=QqSpbNp_Jc0VeM>

• karen1956
    edited February 2022

Sweet 16! 02/03/06 I heard those dreaded words and my life changed forever. My husband found BCO soon after for me. It was my lifeline during chemo and radiation. Thankfully I'm still here living life, something I wasn't sure about back then.

Kim, I like your statement “I regret the rules are so difficult for you". Very powerful and I'll have to remember them.

Sub zero temperatures this morning. Snow is done. Need to a quick one over on the driveway and side walk this morning so it doesn't turn to ice. A broom make take care of it. I was surprised how many sidewalks were shoveled during our walk last night.

Working from home today. 3 zoom meetings in the morning and a zoom interview for a candidate for next year, I think a potential intern. If I'm going to zoom all day no reason to drive anywhere.

Stay safe and stay warm

• chisandy
    edited February 2022

Good news--my HK was able to dig out this afternoon! (Bob actually took 3 trains to work because the alley was still impassable when he had to leave the house, before the snow guy dug us out). So my DOTD was not champagne, but something I hadn't had in over six months: the perfect chocolate egg cream! (One or two per year is just enough).

• nativemainer
    edited February 2022

Good Morning, Loungettes!Happy TGIF day! A good foot of snow on the ground already, and still coming down heavy and steady. School was changed to remote yesterday afternoon before dismissal, so I was able to turn off the early alarm for this morning. Still going to be a working day for me, though, with meetings and reports to file to the CDC. Absenteeism has improved greatly with the first batch of positive testing students moving into days 6 to 10 of isolation coming back to school. Yesterday's rain didn't make things as slushy as I was expecting, the roads got cleared off really well before the rain started and that helped a lot. Just about everything is closed today, or at least opening later than usual. That should help with the traffic this morning. I know the road crews have been out all night and expect to be out all day today. Sometimes that is one tough job.

Karen--There are times when working from home is nice, isn't it?

Teka--YEAH!

Chi--Hooray for the HK getting dug out and the perfect chocolate egg cream!

Cream Egg Cocktail

1 1/2 oz Absolut Vanilla Vodka

1/2oz Licor 43 Original Liqueur

1/2oz Dutch Cacao white crème de cacao

1/2oz Warninks Advocaat liqueur

1/2ozcream or half-n-half

Shake with ice and strain into a chilled glass.

• chisandy
    edited February 2022

For those who have never encountered a proper chocolate egg cream (nobody in NYC--neither Junior's nor the myriad Greek coffee shops--seems to know how to make them any more)*, here's the recipe:

1/2 c. whole or 2% milk

1 oz. chocolate syrup (preferably Hershey's, as the traditional Fox's U-Bet changed its recipe and is now too sweet and inadequately chocolate-y).

Fresh seltzer to top up (alas, the pressurized glass syphon bottles of vaudeville-comedy fame are a thing of the past); a freshly opened can or bottle is best--and if DIY, from a Sodastream instead of those foo-foo gourmet-store home CO2-capsule bottles. Do NOT use club soda or heaven forbid, Perrier or Pellegrino--the minerals will taste awful. (I once saw someone in a Chicago Haagen-Dazs shop use Perrier, heavy cream & hot fudge; "abomination" is too kind a word).

Pour the milk into a 10-16-oz. glass. Slowly and carefully add the syrup so that it does not mix with the milk (squeeze the bottle into the center of the milk or down the side of the glass). Take a spoon (a long-handled ice tea spoon is best), hold it horizontally over the glass and invert the bowl so that it's convex-side up. Slowly pour the seltzer over the spoon so that it begins to form a "head" atop the still-white milk. When the head reaches about an inch from the rim, stir vigorously--the head should now be thick and white, like an iced cappuccino. If it overflows, skim the excess off over the sink; but ideally, it'll form a collar above the rim. Gently top up the seltzer and stop when the foam is about 1/2" atop the rim. Enjoy! (A straw may make it last longer, but it's best enjoyed straight from the glass so you get the full effect of tastes & textures).

*I've found that either the seltzer is too flat, they use too little syrup, or too much or too little milk, and they have no idea of the necessary technique. Sigh--seems "you can't go home again." Much of my Brooklyn childhood was spent at soda-fountain counters watching the counterperson at work--those soda jerks of the 1950s-60s were artisans!

• chisandy
    edited February 2022

BTW, note that an "egg cream" has neither eggs nor cream. In the late 19th century it did; until an enterprising and economy-minded soda-fountain owner found that by reversing the flow of the soda-fountain soda-water "gun" the resulting high-velocity stream produced that white foam that made both cream and egg whites unnecessary (and made the drink not only more palatable but much cheaper).

• jazzygirl
    edited February 2022

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    edited February 2022

Good morning my friends. My family has all gone back home, and my heart is heavy, yet again. Around the end of January my brother brother started sneezing and by the 2nd, ended up testing positive for Covid. My DD tested on the 2nd for travel and tested negative. So far I'm feeling ok. Keeping my fingers crossed. I've got lots to do in regards to taking care of things. Call SS, gather up tax stuff, look for bills I need to pay, get ahold of insurance companies and see what I need to do for those policies, DH had 2.

I have been reading, just not writing. Still not myself, I feel so lost. ED, I just wanted to say to you that I felt the same way about taking care of Darrell. What am I going to do when I can't, no one else will take care of him like I do. The difference with mine and yours, your DH might not remember a day ago, or even an hour ago, mine would remember all of it. So I guess maybe it's a blessing that my DH passed when and how he did, as things were just going to get worse and more debilitatiing for him.

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited February 2022

I know little honey.... I think of you a lot. Taking care of my Husband is so beautiful sometimes... or heart-breaking.

And I thank God that I can. I think of you when I become frustrated, thinking that I'm not doing this right! I have to be always here for him... And yes.... I do all the stuff he used to do.... But that's okay...

I was afraid to have the Plumber out yesterday... He sort of panics thinking about it, but he came, checked things out, and DH gave him a Coke & some cookies! Hah!

Then to get him out, we made a quick run to Walmart... I LOVE to see him talk to the employee's etc! And it's fun to see what junk-food we can buy!

I wake up at night, and my heart just hurts.... thinking about all this.....

Okay.... Thank you God.... I WILL have more patience...! We are in this together.

• jazzygirl
    edited February 2022

Good morning friends- we made it to the weekend. As you saw, we finally got some good moisture out here this week. The storm that came through brought 3-4 inches to my part of the city, up north (including the mountains) got up to three feet of snow! We really need the snow pack for our water suppy, and the skiiers will be happy too. I have some snow shoes I want to get out on this season, but probably not this weekend.

Went to the oral surgeon yesterday to check on the healing from my dental implant that was done in Nov. They capped it, and next up we return to the regular dentist to get my impression done end of the month. Then I should have the crown in a few weeks later. Ready to be done with this, the whole process started a year ago with my first visit to the oral surgeon, and many trips since. As I like to say, dental work is both painful and expensive, and just a little sore from some of the work yesterday around the gums.

Goldie- I am sorry to hear your family ended up with Covid, it just seems to be everywhere now. I hope you stay well and don't come down with anything. It must be very quiet for you now and know there is much to do, so you chip away at that a little at a time. You took good care of your DH during his illness. Be sure to take good care of yourself during this time with rest, healthy food, etc. Sending much love sister.

Teka- yes, those are Chinese New Year/Year of the Tiger flowers. I stopped at the nearby grocery store on my way home yesterday and they often have some reduced bouquets. They were out of the discount flowers, but saw the bouquet with the chinese new year (never seen those before) and then a smaller bouquet of the pretty red carnations. They really brighten up the house! I like to buy myself flowers in the throes of winter to have some blooms around.

NM- you are counting the days to your vacation now, so excited for you!

Well, I will have to stop here as if I scroll back to the previous page, I will loose this post. Wishing everyone a good day today. I am back on the hunt for a new dishwasher.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,708
    edited February 2022

Happy to see you post Goldie, I wondered about you but felt confident that you were dealing with everything ok. I really hope you don’t get sick, you’ve got more than enough to deal with.

I’m still working on packing up in Houston and completing interior construction at the cabin but everything is painfully slow. DH isn’t a planner but has it all in his head, which changes week to week. I began packing in the summer of 2019, 2019! It’s a good thing we’re close to done because patience is hanging on by a thread.

• mistyeyes
    mistyeyes Member Posts: 581
    edited February 2022

I love seeing all of your snow pictures. Jazzy I agree that flowers during winter brighten the house and your mood.

Goldie- I am so glad that your family was able to come and be with you. All the paperwork kept me pretty busy for awhile after my husband died. I found everyone at business offices were very kind and really helped me deal with all of it. I am often thinking of you and hoping all is well, take good care of you.

Illimae- you must be either a master packer by now, or the worst packer. lol I think I am a little like your husband, I get grand ideas in my head - just a new one every few weeks.

NM - Our Florida weather was really nice the last couple of days, but gloomy today and I think for the weekend. I hope when you get here it will be nice weather. It is getting so close.

I am recovering from my ankle surgery. They had to put some pins/screw (?) in it because the ligaments were too far gone. It was done on Jan 25th and I am already tired of this. I go back on the 16th, I am suppose to get the cast off and get a boot. I hope I will be able to walk with the boot. You get a home when your in your 30's or whatever, without thinking about what you will need it to be when your older and having limited movement. On the bright side I am really good on the knee scooter and think I might take up knee scooter racing. lol

• karen1956
    edited February 2022

Jazzy- pretty flowers

Misty- wishing you speedy recovery

Chevy- I so enjoy your posts.

Lori - sending you hugs

My DH started yesterday with a sore throat and then headache and then overall feeling lousy. He’s eating in the kitchen, me in dining room, he’s in DD#2 room, using the hall bathroom and hanging out in his office/man cave. He will test at home tomorrow. If the antigen is negative, he will get PCR Monday morning. If he tests positive, I’ll get PCR Monday morning. So far I’m feeling okay. The place he went this week was to the store on Monday. I was in school building Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday was snow day and Thursday I worked from home. How the heck did he get Covid (most likely) and me not (so far) unless I’m asymptomatic. I sure hope our son doesn’t get sick

Everyone stay safe and he

• chisandy
    edited February 2022

This virus is everywhere. At this point, even a tiny gap at the side of a surgical mask or a too-loose crimp at the nose wire of a KN95 or even N95 can open the door to infection. I PCR-tested positive and began 5 days of Paxlovid a week ago today; Wed. night I rapid-tested negative and emerged from isolation on Thurs. I'm still getting achy thighs and sweet cravings from the Paxlovid: I was told I can expect that to last another 2-3 days or so, and to hold off resuming Crestor till at least then. Not much besides Tylenol I can do for the thigh aches but I'm disgusted at my inability to resist the cravings and instead give in to comfort food. I have just about 2 months to lose that "quarantwenty," and unless I can start to push myself to use the treadmill and go pure keto I'm headed for a very unpleasant lecture.