Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

how about drinking?

Comments

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    edited January 2023

I'm up late tonight, almost 9 pm. Don't laff, that's late for me, I think I was up that late last night. Anywho, I posted this on FB, so those of you that saw it, can just scroll right on by!

BabyGirl, you're not old enough! YET!

Not all of it is true to me, but most is! I did not write this!

May be an image of outdoors

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived.

January 10, 2023

THIS IS RIGHT ON THE NOSE. …….READ IT SLOWLY… I DON'T KNOW WHO WROTE IT, BUT I AM GUESSING IT WAS A SENIOR!!! ( There are quite a few people who said they wrote it. I wish I knew the real source to give credit) I FIRST STARTED READING THIS AND WAS READING FAST UNTIL I REACHED THE THIRD SENTENCE. I STOPPED AND STARTED OVER READING SLOWER AND THINKING ABOUT EVERY WORD. THIS IS VERY THOUGHT-PROVOKING. MAKES YOU STOP AND THINK.

AND THEN IT IS WINTER You know. . . time has a way of moving quickly and catching you unaware of the passing years.

It seems just yesterday that I was young, just married and embarking on my new life with my mate. Yet in a way, it seems like eons ago, and I wonder where all the years went. I know that I lived them all. I have glimpses of how it was back then and of all my hopes and dreams. But, here it is… the winter of my life and it catches me by surprise…How did I get here so fast? Where did the years go and where did my youth go?

I remember well seeing older people through the years and thinking that those older people were years away from me and that winter was so far off that I could not fathom it or imagine fully what it would be like. But, here it is…my friends are retired and getting grey…they move slower and I see an older person now. Some are in better and some worse shape than me…but, I see the great change….Not like the ones that I remember who were young and vibrant…but, like me, their age is beginning to show and we are now those older folks that we used to see and never thought we'd be.

Each day now, I find that just getting a shower is a real target for the day! And taking a nap is not a treat anymore… it's mandatory! Cause if I don't on my own free will… I just fall asleep where I sit!

And so…now I enter into this new season of my life unprepared for all the aches and pains and the loss of strength and ability to go and do things that I wish I had done but never did!

But, at least I know, that though the winter has come, and I'm not sure how long it will last…this I know, that when it's over on this earth…it's NOT over. A new adventure will begin!

Yes, I have regrets. There are things I wish I hadn't done…things I should have done, but indeed, there are many things I'm happy to have done. It's all in a lifetime.

So, if you're not in your winter yet…let me remind you, that it will be here faster than you think. So, whatever you would like to accomplish in your life please do it quickly! Don't put things off too long!

Life goes by quickly. So, do what you can today, as you can never be sure whether this is your winter or not! You have no promise that you will see all the seasons of your life…so, live for today and say all the things that you want your loved ones to remember…and hope that they appreciate and love you for all the things that you have done for them in all the years past!

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after. Make it a fantastic one.

LIVE IT WELL! ENJOY TODAY! DO SOMETHING FUN! BE HAPPY! HAVE A GREAT DAY!

REMEMBER:….

"It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver.

"LIVE HAPPY IN THIS YEAR AND EVERY YEAR!

LASTLY, CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING:

TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN, YET THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE SO – ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.

~Your kids are becoming you…….

~Going out is good.. Coming home is better!

~You forget names…. But it's OK because other people forgot they even knew you!!!

~You realize you're never going to be really good at anything

~The things you used to care to do, you no longer care to do, but you really do care that you don't care to do them anymore.

~You sleep better on a lounge chair with the TV blaring than in bed. It's called "pre-sleep".

~You miss the days when everything worked with just an "ON" and "OFF" switch..

~You tend to use more 4 letter words … "what?"…"when?"… "what?" . ???

~Now that you can afford expensive jewelry, it's not safe to wear it anywhere.

~You notice everything they sell in stores is "sleeveless"?!!!

~What used to be freckles are now liver spots.

~Everybody whispers.

~You have 3 sizes of clothes in your closet…. 2 of which you will never wear.

~But Old is good in some things: Old Songs, Old movies, and best of all, OLD FRIENDS!!

Stay well, "OLD FRIEND!" Send this on to other "Old Friends!" and let them laugh in AGREEMENT!!!

It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,925
    edited January 2023

Sorry to confuse you Goldie. That middle of the night door opening is one of the big reasons why he is in memory care. You're correct about where everyone is now.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,906
    edited January 2023

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Hump Day! Waking up to a nippy ayem today, temps in the single digits, not expected to get much warmer. The puppers outside after breakfast romp was very short today, and I do not blame them one bit!

Just listening to the news talking about the COVID vaccine government contract running out, and the cost expected to be around $130 per dose. It's going to be very interesting to see what happens to many of the vaccination mandates when employers have to start paying for them.

Goldie--I don't know if Mom would ever really consider a move, and I'm not sure it would be a good idea to move her away from the people and places she knows. Right now she won't move because she won't leave me here "alone" and she'd have a litter of kittens if I started talking about moving to NC and leaving her "alone." Mom and SIL are speaking again, I think, They really do care about each other and the spats generally don't last very long. They're just very dramatic when they happen.

Morning, Wren!

Illi--WOW! What a nice hang out spot!

Morning, Minus!

Goldie--oh my, what a piece of writing!

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Hump Day! Waking up to a nippy ayem today, temps in the single digits, not expected to get much warmer. The puppers outside after breakfast romp was very short today, and I do not blame them one bit!

Just listening to the news talking about the COVID vaccine government contract running out, and the cost expected to be around $130 per dose. It's going to be very interesting to see what happens to many of the vaccination mandates when employers have to start paying for them.

Goldie--I don't know if Mom would ever really consider a move, and I'm not sure it would be a good idea to move her away from the people and places she knows. Right now she won't move because she won't leave me here "alone" and she'd have a litter of kittens if I started talking about moving to NC and leaving her "alone." Mom and SIL are speaking again, I think, They really do care about each other and the spats generally don't last very long. They're just very dramatic when they happen.

Morning, Wren!

Illi--WOW! What a nice hang out spot!

Morning, Minus!

Goldie--oh my, what a piece of writing!

ice-storm

There has been a lot of talk about the big Ice Storm of '98, it being the 25th anniversary of the event. I remember it well. I lost power for a week. It was a crazy time.

Ice Storm

2 oz Forty Creek Barrel Select Whisky

1/3 oz Lemon Juice

2/3 oz Orange Juice

Dash of Fees Cocktail Bitters

1/4 oz Sugar Syrup (1:1 ratio)

Ice

Lemon Peel

Chill a small cocktail glass until it is very cold.

Place the five ingredients into a metal shaker with cracked ice.

Shake until the outside of the metal shaker begins to frost.

Strain into the chilled cocktail glass.

Garnish with a twist of lemon peel

From <https://therumhowlerblog.com/cocktails/ice-storm/>

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,304
    edited January 2023

Goldie - great post - lots of things to consider. Particularly like "today is the oldest you've ever been, yet the youngest you'll ever be...."

Wren - keeping you in my thoughts.

NM - my Dad at 94 would NEVER consider moving. Except after Mom died & we had to sell the big house to pay off the equity loans he took to pay for Mom's care. And except then he wanted to move to Hawaii - WTH?

• goldie0827
    edited January 2023

Woke up to use the bathroom, returning to my bed, I look I at the clock, it's 1 am. The exact time my DH passed away. 2:30 rolls around and I'm still awake! So, I just got up! I see an early nap in my future this morning! It's currently 3:30. I imagine the steroids I got on Monday are not helping!

NM, I don't remember how old your mom is, but besides the bit of confusion, she seems to be pretty healthy?

Minus, that saying "today is the oldest you've ever been, yet the youngest you'll ever be...." reminds me of something I say on my birthday..."I'm only a day older than I was yesterday!" Hawaii???? I too would be WTH!

DOTD: Insomnia Cocktail

No description available.

No recipe, as it was some sort of "kit" you could buy.

• Your espresso martinis will come in handy pre-mixed pouches, meaning all you'll have to do is chill, shake and pour.
    • Choose from the following enticing flavours: coconut, maple, marshmallow, mint, orange-mocha or the famous vanilla-sherry.
  • nativemainer
    edited January 2023

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Thirsty Thursday! The Wednesday, Women and Wine get together was last night, at a local Margarita's restaurant. The company was great, the service was so slow, and I waited at the entrance for 10 minutes before anyone even spoke to me, despite people walking back and forth not 3 feet away from me. "Not my job" syndrome in full swing. I drank coffee because I'm the Administrator on Call this week and there was the potential for 5 deaths last night, meaning that the On Call nurse, the back -up nurse, and myself could have been called out. Fortunately, I didn't get any calls. I haven't looked at the log yet to see what went on last night, I'm almost afraid to!

Minus--I swear the older our parents get, the more like children their minds become. My mother's logic about things is getting more and more like toddler logic as time goes by. Which would explain your Dad wanting to move to Hawaii!

Goldie--Mom is 86, and is relatively healthy. She takes a blood thinner for A-fib, has a new mitral valve murmur, arthritis all over but particularly in her spine and for which she has had both knees and one shoulder joint replaced. So pretty healthy, yes. Now if only her mind was as healthy! Funny your being up at the time your DH died. The steroids could very well be the culprit, I know I didn't sleep at all when I've taken them for asthma in the past. Drink kits and canned drinks seem to be getting more and more popular. The flavors sound interesting.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,130
    edited January 2023

Minus, did your dad move to Hawaii?

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,304
    edited January 2023

No move to HI. I was raised in Northern California, and my parents were still in the same house they bought in 1949 when my Mom died at 90. My Dad loved Hawaii & my baby brother lived there for several years before he died. But my Mom was literally allergic to the sun, so.... After she died he wanted to move to the islands. But at 95 - I said no way. He was already 4 hours by air from me and HI would have been 8 hours (not to mention airports & transportation &...). Anyway I told him we didn't know any doctors, dentists, car repair people, banks, grocery stores, care givers, etc. But if he would "be good" and move into a small rental house so we could sell the big house to pay off the equity loans, I would take him there on vacation. He got tricked into moving (too long a story for here) - but we did go on a 7 day Norwegian cruise around the islands & got a cabin in the stern with a wrap around balcony. He refused a wheel chair at the airport until he saw that they always went to the front of the line. Hmmm. Then decided he HAD to have one RIGHT NOW. It was really useful on the huge ship. At 5pm every night the band played my folks favorite old songs from the 30s & 40s (Stardust, Smoke Gets In Your Eyes,). He sat by the pool most days & loved the buffet - nibbling all day long. When we got back to Oahu, we spent 2 nights at the Royal Hawaiian since that was his long time dream. And sat on the beach in the sun. This was definitely the most wonderful bonding time I ever had with my Dad - but being a 24/7 caregiver is exhausting.

Speaking of... has anyone heard from Chevy?

• nativemainer
    edited January 2023

Good Morning, Loungettes! Waking up to some serious rain going on. Not sure what it's going to do as the day goes on, hopefully not changing over to snow, the icing that would cause would be a real mess.

Morning, Carol!

Minus--many people do not realize how exhausting caregiving, especially 24 hour caregiving, truly is. That was a wonderful trip you and your Dad took!

End of the Line Bucky Barnes Cocktail Recipe

End of the Line

Ingredients

Tiger Beer

1 oz Navy Strength Gin

¾ oz Orange Curaçao

¾ oz Lemon Juice

¼ oz Maraschino Liqueur

2 dashes Crude Bitter Rizzo Rosemary, Grapefruit, & Peppercorn Bitters

1 Orange Slice

Method

1 Add gin, orange curaçao, lemon juice, maraschino liqueur, bitters and ice to a shaker.

2 Shake for 10-15 seconds.

3 Strain into a beer glass filled with cracked ice.

4 Top with beer.

5 Garnish with orange slice.

From <https://sipsfromscripts.com/end-of-the-line-cocktail-recipe/>

• goldie0827
    edited January 2023

Great story Minus. Now how did you end up in TX? I see Chevy posting on FB. I think she's not around much because of how screwed up the site is.

NM, glad to know your mom is relatively healthy, but sorry to see her mind slipping.

Sleep still not happening for this girl. Again, I'll blame the steroids. I have a video visit with my MO this morning, so I looked at my TM's. One down 275, the other down 337. Not a big drop like the last ones, but I'll take it! Going to town today after that as we are expected to get some weather here. I only need a few things, but I might not be able to get out for a while.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,130
    edited January 2023

Good morning all. My laptop says it's 44 degrees outside this morning. It got up to almost 80 degrees yesterday and will be back there by Wednesday.

Minus, I love your story about the trip with your dad.

I miss Chevy. She used to be a regular on the Oldies forum and sparred with Cammie. The two of them entertained us. I hope Chevy is still gardening.

Goldie, not sleeping is a bummer. In my younger years I had some insomnia but now I sleep well. DH was still sleeping at 8 am this morning. I eased into the bedroom to make sure he was breathing.

• nativemainer
    edited January 2023

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Sunday Funday. The weekend is going well with the Admin On Call stuff. A couple more staff out with COVID, the usual calls from family members who are unhappy because the triage nurse takes more than 5 minutes to return a call and the

On Call nurse lives 45 minutes away and can't get to them in 10 minutes or less to get someone into the wheelchair from the bed or vice versa. Where families get the idea that Hospice staff will practically move in and take over all the care baffles me, but it's a common assumption. Add freezing drizzle and icy driving to the mix and staff get upset because they can't get around as fast as they feel they need to. I've gotten several calls from staff needing reassurance that it's ok to not drive faster than is safe, and that it's ok for visits to be made later than originally planned given the weather and driving conditions. I know it's hard to be taking care of a terminally ill loved one, but some families just seem to expect way more than is remotely reasonable, and then get angry with the staff who are doing their best to meet impossible expectations.

Goldie--those TM drops may not be a big as before but they are going in the right direction, and significant in themselves. I'd call that good news! Sorry about the not sleeping. Steroids are a mixed blessing, aren't they?

Carole--44 degrees sounds nice, it's hovering around freezing around here these days. Of course, that's actually more like normal than 40's. We just haven't had the cold we used to get during the winters.

Three Marshmallow Shooters on table with marshmallows on top

Marshmallow Shooter

Ingredients

• Vanilla Liqueur
    • Carolans Irish Cream
    • Heavy or double cream
    • Optional: mini marshmallows

Instructions

1. Pour equal parts of each ingredient into a shooter.
    2. Stir gently.
    3. Optional: top with a few mini marshmallows.

From <https://mixthatdrink.com/marshmallow-shooter/?>

• goldie0827
    edited January 2023

Carol, Chevy and Cami were def. a hoot! I loved their banter! I actually had the pleasure of meeting Cami and her family twice. She's just as funny in person as she was here. I sure miss her, and many others that have either passed or just moved on.

NM absolutely the nurses need to travel safely! Too bad people can't be more understanding. Yes, those markers are moving in the right direction. I mainly go by how I feel...period! Which is great.

Weather moving in here today for the next 3-4 days. Not sure what the snow accumulation will be for me, but levels reaching 12" and more in nearby areas. Very windy tho, with gusts gusting to 65. I went out yesterday and strapped my one solar tracker down. I have to move it so it's facing up and flat and then use wratchet straps to secure it to a couple of trees. I did get more sleep last night. Forced myself to stay up until 9:30 and slept until 5:30, not counting the times to get up and pee! Ha ha, I'll pass on both of the DOTD's. I can't stand marshmallows!

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,606
    edited January 2023

Lori, thanks for checking in on me. It's nice to be cared about. I don't remember the last time I posted. I do skim posts but don't read them all. Glad to hear your tumor markers are down and glad that you are feeling good.

My foot started bothering my mid to late December when I was traveling and finally went to the doctor on Thursday - stress fracture. I absolutely had the boot, and so bummed that no walking for at least 2 weeks. Walking is my stress reliever as well as being outside. It's not warm enough to sit outside and read.

Everyone stay safe, warm and healthy.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408
    edited January 2023

Karen, bummer about the stress fx--I had one in 2009 from a "shoe malfunction:" my Croc's sole stuck to a piece of gum on the linoleum floor of a "skybridge" and I pitched forward but caught myself so didn't fall. I was in a boot for 2 weeks too. At least it was June so I didn't have to deal with icy sidewalks. I now have traumatic OA in that bone, but all I can do is wear my orthotics and sometimes slather on some Voltaren gel.

Kim, the keto "brown sugar" is monkfruit/erythritol from Lakanto. They also make a granulated white and powdered version, as well as a maple-oid syrup that tastes nearly like the real thing and even a "drinking chocolate" to mix with hot milk (dairy or plant-based). I also have their brownie mix, which I made once but ate only one of the four in the pan--Bob thought they were real brownies and ate the other three.

Lori, are you still in AZ or was that wind & snow in MI? We're predicted to get as much as a foot on Thursday--natch, it's my mani-pedi and haircut/touchup day. Had to postpone both due to COVID--also my facial because I don't want to go maskless until the danger of a "rebound" (with the possibility of transmission to my esthetician) has passed.

No alcohol till Thurs. & Friday night, when I had a small glass of Ste. Michelle dry rosé with Thursday's cod and Friday's Norwegian Fjord Trout (similar to salmon). But didn't have a red with last night's steak, just water. Had to go outside & back in to a every few minutes to flip it on the grill. But as long as it's dry out and above zero, I will use the gas grill whenever I can. I hate having to clean my cast iron skillet afterward, as well as risk setting off the smoke detector.

Ordering out tonight--tired of cooking from scratch and generating so much compostable veggie waste that I have to dump the bucket into the backyard bin so often. Also, it's murder on my upper back spending so much time standing over counters & the stove. I may drink whatever pairs with dinner, but I'm not gonna tempt fate and pop the bubbly in the fridge lest it seem like a premature celebration.

• celiac
    celiac Member Posts: 1,260
    edited January 2023

Goldie - Catching up with you about Michigan. Not all that familiar with MI, but when I worked for Eaton Corp, spent time in several of their MI locations, most notably Marshall, MI. I know MI gets a fair bit of snow, but seems like you do in your current location as well. Having family nearby is one of the things I miss most about where we live, so seems like it would be really great for you to live near them, if/when you could manage it.

Everyone else - Hello and Happy Sunday Funday, healing thoughts for all in need.

• chisandy
    edited January 2023

With ordered-out Italian food, DOTD was Duboeuf 2022 Beaujolais Nouveau. Made a decaf breve cappuccino earlier in the day.

• goldie0827
    edited January 2023

Karen, welcome back! Good to see you posting again. Sorry about the foot, I know how much you like and do your walking. I hope it's feeling better. Skimming posts is A-OK! Just jumpj in, but be careful with that foot!

Sandy, I'm home. Snow and wind here in the mountains of AZ, hence having to tie down my solar!

Celia, I hadn't heard of Marshall MI, so I had to look it up. Yes, I get snow here in AZ., but near the snow and cold that MI gets. Altho we can get dumped on pretty good since we are in the mountains. My particular location, for whatever reason, gets skipped or not near as much. Must have something to do the terrain.

Didn't do much yesterday and we were spared the snow, well, at least I was. Closer areas got it and more to come today and tomorrow. It's ok, I don't have to go anywhere. Went through a bunch of clothes to get rid of, will donate to a local womens place.

DOTD: The Golden Boot

Good mixer: golden boot cocktail

20-30ml ginger liqueur (King's, ideally)
    75ml madeira (verdelho, or bual if you prefer a sweeter drink)
    Gin, to taste
    Tonic water, to top (I prefer Fever Tree)
    A squeeze of lemon
    1 slice blood orange (or pink grapefruit), to garnish

• nativemainer
    edited January 2023

Good Morning, Loungettes! Yesterday was an interesting day, with sleet and freezing rain predicted for the whole day. The Director closed the office for the day, office staff worked from home, only a couple of visits were made by nurses who lived near by. Lots of phone work and overdue education got done. I was listening to the scanner off and on all day, and there were road closures and cars off the road all over the place. Many schools are starting late this ayem, but at least most are opening today. The puppers were happy to have me home all day to let them in and out and in and out.

Goldie--You are wise to go by how you feel more than by the numbers, and I'm happy to hear you are feeling great. We did pretty well here, the wind didn't kick up as much as predicted. It sounds like you are in for some serious snow in your area. And I can relate to the getting up to pee!

Karen--oh my goodness, a stress fracture in your foot cannot be fun. To not be able to walk or be outside comfortable, that's just the pits.

Chi--traumatic arthritis is not fun, that's what I've got in my knees. The keto brown sugar sounds interesting. Funny about DH thinking the brownies were "real" and eating them all up! My brother used to grill outside all the time, even in snow and rain before they moved to N.C. He still grills a lot, just doesn't have to deal with the weather due to having a wonderful covered patio area.

Morning, Celia!

Goldie--love the Golden Boot, where did you find it???!!!

• karen1956
    edited January 2023

Big snow storm predicted for Colorado starting this evening. anywhere from 5-12 inches for Denver, but weather person saying probably 9". Hoping for a snow day. My husband's retired PCP and our friend said he frequently saw stress fractures in people with osteoporosis and was happy to hear that I'm on Prolia. Once healed, will this happen again with my walking. after 2 years on Prolia, my bone density improved but was still in the osteoporosis range - due for DEXA in August which will be after 4 years on it. Time will tell.

Have a great Tuesday. Stay safe, warm and dry.

• goldie0827
    edited January 2023

NM, glad you didn't have to go out yesterday, with the roads being so bad. Going on Karen's issue with her foot and wearing a boot, I just googled Boot Cocktails, I think. Here's the link. The good mixer: the golden boot cocktail recipe | Life and style | The Guardian

Karen, will you get that much snow, or is that basically what they will get in the mountains? That must be the storm that just rolled through here.

I got nothing, just very windy. Flagstaff got 2' of snow, but I'm sure that was in the mountains and not in town. Big news in Phoenix this morning....they got 1/10 of an inch of rain. BIG NEWS right!

DOTD: Windy City

• 2 ounces Bacardi Limon
    • 1 ounce Grand Marnier
    • 1 ounce cranberry juice
    • 1/2 ounce lime juice
    • Orange slice, for garnish
    1. Combine Bacardi Limon, Grand Marnier, cranberry juice and lime juice in a cocktail shaker half filled with ice. Strain into a martini glass.
    2. Garnish with orange slice.
  • sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723
    edited January 2023

goldie, rain for us in San Diego is a newsmaker, too. Roads flood and are closed. Our local mountains got snow, too. It was pretty driving home from the desert yesterday. Rain, clouds, fog... I love rainy days, maybe because they're unusual for us.

• chisandy
    edited January 2023

Sunshine, glad your part of San Diego didn't flood. I'm worried about friends in Moreno Valley--they're living in sort of a desert "basin" protected from wildfires, but I fear it's vulnerable to flooding. Lori, glad you escaped the snow. Karen, hope most of that snow stays in the mountains. They changed Thurs. prediction here to rain & "slop," but we're due to get slammed with snow over the weekend. Bob has to work to make up for being at home for a week, so I'm grateful that he drives an SUV now and won't get stuck.

HK came back--but I can't help her with the big litterbox (and the 41 lb. bag Chewy sent us) because my back is constantly going out. She is happy to be back, rather than taking care of her DH (who is improving, thanks to playing "extreme catch-up" with his dialysis).

Didn't drink yesterday, other than coffee & H2O.

• karen1956
    edited January 2023

Snow day tomorrow!!! My school district sent a text at 6:31pm announcing snow day - most of the metro area is closed tomorrow. Lori - that is what is predicted for Denver. So far we've only have about 2" but it's supposed to snow all night and into tomorrow morning. Weather forecasters have not changed their predictions for snow except to increase the amount! If weather is bad Thursday, my district will go to remote learning and remote work :( Can sleep in tomorrow (if my body will do it) till 6 or 6:30. I'm generally up before 5am and that is after waking up once or twice during the night, often at 4 am then going back to sleep for a bit.

• nativemainer
    edited January 2023

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Hump Day! From sleet and snow days to melting days, gotta love the winter roller coaster ride. The puppers don't seem to mind running around and wrestling in the snow, and certainly don't care how much wet and mud they bring in. But it's fun to watch them playing!

Karen--are you getting the snow day you want? Snow days can be nice. Knowing the stress fractures will keep happening must be a bit frustrating. Is there anything besides medication that can be done to minimize stress fractures? Something like specifically designed shoes or insoles to help absorb stress when walking? Hopefully the Prolia will increase your bone density to the point where this isn't an ongoing problem.

Goldie--I had to read the 1/10 of an inch of rain being big news in Phoenix a couple of times! I didn't realize Phoenix is so dry! The Windy City sounds really tasty, and looks pretty!

Sunshine--I bet the drive was beautiful. Did you take any pics? I'd love to see.

Chi--glad to hear HK's DH is improving. That must have been pretty scary for her. Love the "slop" prediction. So descriptive.

Karen--YAY for the snow day!

• goldie0827
    edited January 2023

Sunshine, my step DD and her family live in Oceanside. Where were you driving home from, that it took you through the dessert? I can't picture dessert near SD.

Sandy, sounds like everyone in your little circle are doing well, you, Bob, HK and her DH!

Karen, that's a lot of snow. Glad you got the snow day and can go into remote learning. I guess that helps with not having to make up days at the end of the year? I hope ED (Chevy) is ok with all this snow. Glad her DD is close.

NM yes, 1/10 of an inch. And they panic driving, it's almost funny, you'd think it snowed a foot!

Weather here was a potpourri. One minute a white out, the next the sun is shining, wind blowing all day, throw in some rain and I think I heard some freezing rain last night. It did that all day yesterday.

DOTD: Vancouver Slop

Can't get to a recipe, thought it was pretty tho!

• miriandra
    miriandra Member Posts: 2,173
    edited January 2023

We had several inches of snow last night, a break this morning, but it looks like it's started again. We were supposed to have our first union contract negotiation at the Union Hall this morning. It was switched to Zoom in light of the bad roads.

• chisandy
    edited January 2023

We had a bit of freezing drizzle tonight, turning to heavy rain tomorrow. Natch, no HK--her DH has an appt with his primary, and she goes along to take notes so he can't B.S. her about what happens & gets said; then dialysis. So I'm up early to feed the cats (double portions because I won't be home till 5:30), drive to the nail salon for my mani-pedi, then to get my roots/Braz. blowout/cut, then come home to clean up from the cats' manifestations of their resentment. (Just kidding...maybe). Hopefully, I get home before the rain becomes slop.

Last night Costco was out of chickens so Bob brought home a shrimp tray and a full rack of (unsauced) spareribs. So DsOTD were dry rosé & 2020 Beauj. (no longer)Nouveau. Tonight with leftovers, same red as well as a 2011 Mumm Napa Blanc de Blancs with the shrimp. (Only a couple oz. of each).

• nativemainer
    edited January 2023

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Thirsty Thursday! Another snow storm coming in tonight and into tomorrow, doesn't sound as messy as the last one, so I'm expecting minimal impact outside of the usual slower going on the roads and a longer drive time into work. Friday peeyem I'm running a quarterly Quality Improvement/Performance Improvement meeting for the second time. The first time was in October and it was moderately disastrous as I didn't really know what I was doing. This meeting will go much better, I've got it much more under control, although not totally, so it won't be a disaster even if it won't be completely as it should be. The improvement I can live with. And I've already figured out how to make the next one in April go better.

The puppers say Hi to everyone!

Goldie--I can see 1/10 inch of ice causing panic driving, but 1/10 inch of rain? Phoenix must be really, really dry! The Vancouver Slop is a pretty drink.

Miriandra--there are some advantages to being able to meet virtually! Sometimes that's better than trying to reschedule an in person meeting.

Chi--shrimp and spareribs sounds like a nice replacement for chicken!

Goldie-- I found this recipe, for Vancouver SLOPE, I wonder if it's the same drink? It didn't come with a picture.

Ingredients:

• 2 oz gin
    • .5 oz sweet vermouth
    • .25 oz Bénédictine
    • 2 dashes of orange bitters
    • lemon twist, for garnish

Method:

1. In an ice-filled mixing glass, combine ingredients.
    2. Stir until well-chilled (about 30 seconds).
    3. Strain into a cocktail glass.
    4. Garnish with the lemon twist.

From <https://www.themanual.com/food-and-drink/the-vancouver-cocktail-recipe/>

• karen1956
    edited January 2023

Official snow total for Denver - at DIA 9+ inches, downtown 6+ inches. Back to work today after a snow day. Lori - district reversed its plan and a second day would have been a snow day, not remote learning. Unless the kids take their chrome books home (which they don't) no way can remote learning happen. It would have to be planned. Besides many kids to have internet at home. When Covid hit, the district had to get hotspots for several thousand families. More snow in the forecast. This was the biggest January snow storm in 31 years. January is often cold but not too much snow. The eastern plains got hammered and I-70 East of the city was closed down due to a major car wreck - 9 semis and 6 cars!!!

It should be fun navigating the sidewalks with the boot. I'm leaving early so I can get a spot in the parking garage across the street from our admin building where I will work today, since I'm not in a school till end of the month. I parked there Tuesday and it took me 15 minutes to find my car as I couldn't remember where I parked!!! It's a weird layout, so I think I was going in circles. Better pay closer attention today.

Lori - I think of ED/Chevy often. I'm sure her daughter checks in on them daily.

Have a great Thursday