Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

how about drinking?

Options

Comments

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,520
    Options

This Flu is kicking my you know what! No energy, coughing that has bruised my ribs and now is going through to my back. Lethargic and no motivation to do anything. Yesterday, DH and I managed two walks around the block, 10 minutes each which took everything out of us. I cooked dinner and that was the extent of my being productive. I'm tired of being sick - it's been a long 5+ weeks since the parathyroidectomy. When I go back to work next Wednesday I'll been off work 6 works. That last time (and only time) I took this much time off work was when I had my youngest daughter and I took the last 3 months of the school year off. Don't get me wrong, I don't feel the least bit guilty for taking the time.

I'm covering a school starting the beginning of March till spring break and then after spring break a different school till the end of the school year. I did email both schools to set up meetings for next W and Th to meet and greet and learn about the schools and the providers roles. I didn't want to wait to last minute, like the day I return. No more emails. At both schools I know one or two staff. The elementary school, I know the music teacher and one of the team lead - I worked with the team lead many years ago when she was my AP. At the other school, I know the principal. I covered at another school where he was principal - great guy.

Was marking my fridge calendar with appointments and notice my last team meeting, end of the year celebration is my granddaughter's first birthday - I guess I'll be missing it as I plan on calling in sick the day before and day of my granddaughter's first birthday to be with the kids and her to celebrate turning one. Do I feel guilty - NOPE, but I do feel a little bad. But family comes first. Of course, I'm not telling anyone I'm going to call in sick.

Weather is a lot cooler today, gray, cloudy and maybe rain

Goldie - hope you get the blood transfusion sooner than later

Carole - sorry that you neighbors are so awful. The house next door, we called "the wicked witch of the east" as the house is one door to the house. She passed away a few years ago and her son owns the house - such a great guy. He is our age. He described his mother as a B****. In her will she left the house to him as long as he lived in it, but if he sold it, his daughters got the money!!! Otherwise, we've been lucky with wonderful neighbors. We've been in this house for over 30 years.

Kim - sounds like you are enjoying retirement. When my late mother's driving was unsafe I called her PCP and he arranged for her to take an adult driving test. She had an accident so I was able to call regarding that. She did not pass the driving test and they said she could no longer drive. I didn't have to be the bad one and she was no longer a danger to herself or others. It was very hard on her to loose her license. It's a big loss of independence.

I looked at the EOB for my hospital stay, surgery, surgeon and anesthesiologist. My cost was a big fat ZERO! The total cost was close to $140K. I'm so lucky my Advantage plan is so good. I'm waiting for them to approve my sleep study. Since I've had the plan I've only paid for Rx.

Have a great Thursday.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,116
    Options

Reader - love the story about your Dad.

Goldie - Lymphadema therapy makes a big difference in my life. Luckily I only have to drive 30 minutes, but the massage certainly keeps the swelling down and the pain at a minimum.

NM - Driving parents: My Dad actually got lost in a small town where he'd lived for 60 years. I hopped on a plane from Houston to CA. BY the time I got there, he'd stopped and rang a random door bell to ask where he was, so his neighbors rescued him. When the police came the next day, the officer said 'you need to take his driver's license'. I said - oh no, I'm just a "girl". You're the one with the uniform & the badge - you pull it. For months after that Dad kept asking if I'd talked to his doc to fill in the form to get it back. Um - no. The man was 91 and didn't need to be driving. I just kept saying, sorry, I'll do it my next trip out.

Carole - I totally agree about using the existing spaces. Hope you'll let us know why your doc was recommending to switch on top of the pecs.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,820
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy TGIF day. I'm not really feeling the TGIF vibe, but I'm also not as tired as I usual feel on Fridays. No struggle to get out of bed when the alarm goes off, no push to get the coffee going so I can wake up, just leisurely getting up and sipping the first cup and feeding the puppers and giving them morning cuddles. Zoe likes ear scritches and tugs, Colt like rump roasts and giving kisses. So nice to not have to cut those short in order to get ready for work! So far I'm liking this retirement thing!

Goldie--Here in Maine doctors won't tell someone they can't drive unless they are taking a medication that makes that dangerous, or have a condition like seizures or fainting spells, and even then they don't report to the DMV. It's considered a family's responsibility. I've said my piece, I don't do anything to encourage her driving or that helps her keep driving, do what I can to minimize her driving, let her deal with the consequences of her decisions. And yes, it is at least partly because I don't want to have to hear about how hard it is to be dependent on others to go anywhere or do anything or start scheduling my life around her transportation needs. Not that I would mind taking her to appointments, shopping, visiting, and such, it's that she decides at the last minute so often and changes her mind so often that it's chaotic to keep track of. And with her decreasing mobility, eventually she won't be able to get into and out of her car and that will solve that problem. The quiche was yummy, even if we did both forget to add the spinach! Actually, I didn't know she was planning on adding spinach until after the thing was in the oven and she found the spinach she had thawing in the fridge. We split the leftovers so I got another meal out of it yesterday. Are you scheduled for another transfusion, or waiting for blood work results to get it scheduled? I hope the lymphedema therapy can be coordinated with everything else going on.

Wally--I'd like to think that the neighbors will find out about karma being a witch. Ignoring them is probably the best route to take.

Karen--I'm sorry to hear the flu is beating you down so hard. It can be pretty miserable, particularly coming on top of surgery. Good for you for taking the time off you need and want to be with family! Work will always be there, family changes so fast when the kids are little. I am enjoying retirement, so far. I will look into the adult driving test thing, see if there is something like that here. That would be a good way to get Mom off the roads. It is a huge loss of independence and that is hard, I know. I hope my Medicare and Medigap coverage turns out to be as good as yours!

Minus--I'm waiting for the day that Mom calls me because she is lost while out driving! I've even considered putting some sort of tracking device in her car so I can find her if necessary. Hmm, maybe I should really do that.

The Drive

INGREDIENTS

INSTRUCTIONS

Dry-shake all of the ingredients (that means without ice), in order to fully fluff of the egg white. Add ice and shake again. Double-strain through a fine mesh strainer into a small chilled coupe or cocktail glass. Garnish with a basil leaf and a fresh strawberry.

From <>

https://cocktailpartyapp.com/drinks/the-drive/

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,876
    Options

Minus, implant placement on top of the muscles would eliminate the "jump" any time the chest muscles are flexed. I wish that option had originally been available. It probably is less painful and would not cause the same level of tightness. However, I will use the existing pockets. I have been considering removal of the implants with no replacement but that isn't as simple as it seems. I had skin and nipple saving mastectomy so I assume the surplus skin would have to be removed.

I've been reading a forum about mastectomy with no reconstruction and the majority of the women posting are glad they took that option. They rejected the idea of placing something foreign inside their bodies. I was only 66 in 2009 and I was horrified at the prospect of no breasts. I didn't think beyond "remove the cancer and come out of the hospital with breasts." I will probably have the replacement which is very much like the revision surgery that a lot of "One Step" patients had to improve their breasts. If all goes well, the recovery will be much faster than recovery from the mastectomy. I realize my age is a factor but I am still quite healthy.

Yesterday I looked up the old One Step forum which is like a journal of my first year. I checked in every day and the other women were my support group. I got to know one of them who lives in Canada but the others dropped out eventually, deciding they should put the bc experience behind them. One woman was a potter in San Diego and she sent me an exquisite little clay angel she created. She called her Fortunate1.

Apologies for rattling on but I am as self-absorbed as I was that first year post diagnosis and surgery.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,274
    Options

Carole, you have every right to be concerned and this is our safe space. No apologies necessary. I was one of those gals that went flat. I was not offered nipple sparing surgery or I would have opted for that. I had size D boobs and I was convinced I would be traumatized leaving flat, but I have done OK, such as these things go. I had just turned 50 and it was a scary prospect. DH was very supportive, so that helped. I hope your surgery goes quickly and uneventfully. My DH had the horrific jaw bone surgery last week or so; he is 83-1/2 and did very well, so age shouldn't make that much of an impact. Sending good vibes.

• karen1956
    Options

It's Friday and another week is done. Hard to believe that next Friday is March 1st! Next week is back to work for me and that will be good. It will be a hard week as that is when the MM nightmare began. Formal Dx day is 03/01 as that is when I had the BMB. I need my PCP to complete the return to work form and turn it in to HR by Tuesday.

I hope I'm feeling good on Wednesday. I've taken 6 weeks FMLA, but it will almost be 7 weeks since my last work day when I go back next Wednesday. My last work day was Thursday 01/11, before MLK week-end.

This morning I was feeling fairly decent, as I told my girls I was feeling half human. After the grocery store and an appointment I was wiped out, ready to fall asleep. Went for a short walk with DH and that helped. Just don't have the stamina. Even though my labs are decent, my DH keeps reminding me that it now takes me longer to rebound from being sick or anything to heal.

Sometimes I wonder if it's smart to tidy things up and put them away. I have several adult coloring books, colored pencils and markers. I put them away. When we were traveling in December, I couldn't find them anywhere, so I had to buy a new coloring book and pkg of pencils. There weren't anywhere I looked. Yesterday afternoon, I looked in a Rubbermaid container that is under my late mother's tea cart that is in my office/spare bedroom. The container wasn't hidden, but in plain view. I take it out and low and behold what do I find!!! Not sure why I overlooked that container, but I was pleased to find it. My husband said that's why many people keep an organized mess as they know where eveything is. I guess I need to write down where I put stuff - but best not on paper but in the "note" app on my phone so I can find it. Paper, I'm sure I wouldn't remember where I put it.

Lori - how are you doing?

Kim - glad you are settling into retirement.

Carole - you make me wonder if I should ask for a MRI/Ultrasound of my implants. When I called PS office last year, they said if I wasn't having problems no need to do anything. I quit seeing PS in 2009 or 2010 as I was tired of going to doctors. You brought up a great point about going flat after implants because of the pocket and skin - something I never thought about. If I wasn't so tired of doctors and not really wanting to do anything if I needed to have these implants removed, I think I'm going to keep my head in the sand for now.

Wallycat - hope your husband's jaw is healing nicely.

The weather is supposed to be nice this week-end.

Have a great rest of Friday and Saturday.

• miriandra
    miriandra Member Posts: 2,073
    Options

Carole, I also declined reconstruction, but I had a unilateral mastectomy. So I'm a "unicorn". 🦄 I hope your procedure goes very smoothly.

I've also designed a line of swimwear for women who are openly half-flat. It's a VERY niche market, but an excited one. There's a small, lively activist movement that is working to normalize going flat and being visible about their choice. Everyone's decision is incredibly personal, and there's nothing wrong with choosing to reconstruct a breast mound. But being openly flat can hopefully bring more of a sense of normalcy for those who cannot reconstruct, and to pressure surgeons to leave a smooth and attractive chest wall when going flat.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,274
    Options

Miranda, I brought a picture of a 10 year old boy, going for a swim. I told the surgeon…"THIS…THIS is how I expect to come out…no tags, no extra skin, no nothing…THIS…." he agreed.

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    Options

WallyCat, glad the neighbors are being "somewhat civil", at least for now.

Karen, I'm sorry that flu is kicking your butt, and DH is right, it takes longer now to heal from anything. I think you might just be over doing it. You need to just rest and get better. Especially with work resuming. Glad you found your coloring book and pencils.

Minus, too funny about you not taking dads DL, "I'm just a girl".

NM, I love being able to get up in the morning when I'm ready! The other thing with me, I'm always forgetting what day of the week it is! I thought all quiche had spinach in it? I hear ya about mom and driving. My MIL had a stroke while driving, ran into a building. She was not hurt terribly, I believe she was stopped at a red light when it occurred, AND she didn't hurt anyone else. She quit driving after that.

Carol, if you want to rattle on, this is the place to do it! No judgement here.

Miriandra, that is awesome that you have designed that swimwear. Does it do well?

I'm hanging in there! Got a call from the cancer center yesterday, but I missed it and no voice mail left. My TM's have shot up again, so I'm wondering if they called to cancel my chemo and get me approved for something else. Doxil or Abraxane are the choices. There is another one, Piqray, one of the SE's is high blood sugar. Some get so high, they have to get on insulin. I surely don't need that!

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,935
    Options

Last night's moonrise over the Sandia Mountains in New Mexico

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,634
    Options

Goldie, Truqap is a newly approved drug for those with the pik3 mutation. It’s supposed to have fewer SEs than Piqray, although elevated blood sugar is a possible SE. I started a thread on it, if you’re interested.

• goldie0827
    Options

Sunshine, thank you so much. I looked at the thread and will run it by my MO Tuesday. It would be nice to take a pill and not have to drive down there almost every week, and I'm totally against Piqray!

• nativemainer
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Sunday Funday! As I was working through my emails yesterday ayem Mom called. Her left eye was itchy and didn't feel right and she wanted me to take her to walk in care to get it checked out, She didn't want to drive herself until she got her eyes checked out "just in case it's something serious." So off we go to walk in care, to find out that she has eye irritation from the cold virus she is just getting over, and gets an antibiotic ointment prescription. Because it's soothing, not because it will actually help, since it's probably viral. Then we stopped for lunch, then picked up the ointment, stopped at a bread outlet, and then I spent a while visiting while she puttered around her place. Came home and ate leftover lunch for dinner. Mom wants me to keep her up to date on my house hunting and selling activities so we can move to NC at the same time. I didn't have the heart to tell her that she should be looking for places now, as many assisted living places will have waiting lists, and waiting until she knows when I will be moving may not give her enough time to find some place with an opening at the same time. And frankly, I am not going to try to move myself and her at the same time, that will just be too much craziness. Especially since Mom does not want a moving company to pack for her because they won't pack as carefully as she does. Except that when she moved out of Dick's place she had months of notice and never packed one single box, we did all the packing as we were loading cars on the day of the move, so I know she won't get her whole place packed up unless I am there to push her into it every day for weeks before hand. I love Mom dearly, but I know how this is going to play out, and I am not going to try to juggle getting myself and the puppers moved while getting Mom packed up and moved.

Carole--nothing wrong with being self-absorbed around things like implant changes and like. We all do what we need to do at the time of diagnosis and initial treatment, and choices made then probably wouldn't be the same as we would make now, but we can't make decisions and choices that take into account information and experiences we haven't had yet. The little clay angel sounds like a beautiful gift!

Wallly--glad to hear DH is doing well after his surgery!

Karen--I keep a lot of info in the Notes app on my phone. It is the one place I can write something down and not lose it! I'm a very visually oriented person, "out of sight, out of mind" is absolutely true for me. If I can't see it, I often cannot find it. I've discovered that basket organizing, where I can see into the basket or tub or whatever, works best. Second best is labeling the container on all 4 sides and the top if it's closed. And your DH is correct, it does take longer to bounce back from illness and surgery as we age.

Miriandra--what a great thing you have done!

Goldie--some time ago, when I was working very part time, I had trouble keeping track of the days of the week, too. I started out crossing off days on a calendar, then I got one of those clocks that shows the day of the week and the date and liked it so much I got a second one for the bedroom. Quiche is one of those dishes that is infinitely customizable. It can be as simple as cheese, egg, and milk/cream, or you can add whatever you like. My favorite is bacon and onion, (AKA Quiche Lorraine) but I also like bacon, spinach and onion, sausage with or without a veg. It's kind of like pizza that way. Sorry to hear about the TMs. A side effect of blood sugar elevation enough to require insulin sounds pretty scary!

Jazzy--WOW!!

Morning, Sunshine!

Gin fizz

Shake together 2 oz gin, ¾ oz fresh lemon juice, ½ oz simple syrup, and an egg white in a cocktail shaker without ice first (a technique that’s called a dry shake). Then add ice and shake it again until cold.

Strain the drink into the glass. When you top off the glass with soda water, the carbonation combines with the egg white to make a frothy foam topping. It’s a trick that’s sure to impress all your guests.

From <>

https://www.acouplecooks.com/gin-fizz-cocktail/

• nativemainer
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Monday Monkey Day! Waking up to more snow on the ground, just a dusting, but still, I'm tired of snow and cold. But, it's February in Maine, and this is what it is. Not very busy in the Lounge today. I know everyone is pretty busy.

Snow Queen Cocktail

3 fl oz white chocolate liqueur

2 fl oz vodka

1 fl oz peppermint schnapps, plus extra for rim of glass

2 tbsp heavy cream

⅓ cup white, red or green sanding sugar for rim

1 Using some peppermint schnapps, wet the rim of a martini or coupe glass. Dip in sanding sugar until rim is coated.

2 In a cocktail shaker, combine white chocolate liqueur with vodka, schnapps and heavy cream.

3 Fill shaker with ice and shake well.

4 Strain mixture into the prepared glass and serve.

From <> https://marlameridith.com/recipe/snow-queen-cocktail/

• carolehalston
    Options

Good Monday morning to everyone. This afternoon I have a pre-op appointment with my PCP's NP. A lot of initials! Not sure what that appointment will entail. Probably a lot of little tabs stuck onto my skin. I hope I don't get sent to a cardiologist. I've have two such appointments in my life, both prior to surgeries and I always passed the stress test with flying colors, whatever that means.

I have more emotion invested in dh's appointment tomorrow with a pain specialist. If he doesn't get relief from his jaw pain, I'm afraid he may go beserk.

Meanwhile I have been dusting and cleaning for a family get together at our house on Saturday. My youngest brother is coming from OK late Wednesday night and will be staying with us. His wife isn't coming because her mother lives with them and travel with the MIL isn't easy. The dinner on Saturday was supposed to be a gathering of the six siblings but two aren't able to come. And dh has trouble eating. So the meal will probably be chicken and dumplings, a big favorite that my mother cooked. I'm not super confident about making this dish but I have made it with success on occasion. And it's a food that dh can manage.

Hope Monday is going well for everybody.

• karen1956
    Options

Carole - is your pre-op appointment with PCP or the implant removal/change?

Kim - of course, it takes longer to recover as we get older, but my DH was referencing that since I had chemo last spring everything takes longer for me. And I'm really not "old" - turning 68 in May.

Kim - do you have a lot to do to your house to put it on the market for sale? Can you or your brother look for independent/assistive living communities for your mother then offer a choice of 2?

Lori - how are you doing today.

Mirianda - I was wrong about renewing drivers licenses online - they changed the rules and over 60 can now return online - your can renew online twice. Mine is due for renewal on my birthday in May and my DH on his birthday.

Feeling better today, but tired and fell asleep after lunch. Had to run a couple errands - bank, return moldy cheese to Costco and I got my hair cut. Tomorrow I want to get a mani but was too tired to get one today. We went to see the Bob Marley movie yesterday at 1:00pm and I had to fight staying awake during part of it. We enjoyed the movie.

Hopefully Wednesday and Thursday should be easy days at work. I'm meeting with the SPs that I'll be covering for, one meeting on W morning and one meeting on Th morning. I need to go through 6 week of emails and will try to learn about the kiddos I'll be working with and catch up on my book for book study. Next week I start covering ECE-5 for 3 weeks till spring break. This is an FMLA, the person needs to go help her parents who were in a car accident. After spring break, I'm covering a Montessori M.S/H.S. till the end of the school year. I think this is a maternity leave. Hoping by next week, I'll have more energy to get through the work day.

Wednesday afternoon I see the endocrinologist, 6 weeks post surgery. We will figure out if I con't on calcium. Thursday I have labs for my Nephrologist which includes calcium and PTH plus kidney panel. My dentist appointment still needs to be rescheduled as I cancelled it last week when I found out I had the flu.

Nice today but very windy. 60s and tomorrow rain and low 40s.

Have a good Monday night.

• nativemainer
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Twofer Tuesday! I had a startling moment last evening. I realized I leave for the cruise on this coming Friday--3 days from now!--not next week like I've been thinking! Tomorrow I am out all day running errands and doing a CPR class, so I need to get on the ball and do some laundry so I can do some packing, and get things organized for dropping off the puppers. Which primarily means cleaning out the Jeep, whose back seat is full of stuff that needs to find a real home. Or get tossed out, whichever is most appropriate. I guess I know what I'll be doing today!

Carole--praying your appointment goes very well and your DH's appointment goes even better. Ongoing pain is miserable. The get-together sounds like a good time, even if everyone can't make it. And try not to worry about the food too much. I've told Mom over and over again that the family meals at holiday time aren't so much about the food (although I do look forward to that part, too) and much more about visiting with family members. That's what I miss most about my brother and his wife moving to NC.

Karen--there isn't a huge amount that needs to be done to put the house on the market. But I think I'm changing my mind about moving. I own the house free and clear, the only debt I have is the Jeep and that's more than half paid off. I was doing some figuring over the last few days, and getting a decent place in NC will mean a mortgage payment again, which will likely be as much as half of what I will be getting from Social Security. Cost of living is lower in NC, but there won't be much money left over for travel, which I would really like to be able to do. The money I have set aside for the house and move, if put all into the house, would mean I could do almost all the things I ever wanted to do with the house but didn't have the money or time to do it with, meaning I now have both. So I have decided to let things stay the way they are for the next few months, then revisit the idea of moving. I can work on getting things done that have to be done either way. I’m not crazy about Maine winters, but if I don't have to go out, it's not a big deal anymore. I've also realized that my whole adult life has been structured around working, and being retired is a very big lifestyle change. I think I need some time to figure what it is that I want for myself. I hope your move back into work goes smoothly. I'm sure people will be helpful and understanding if it takes you a little longer to do things than it did before surgery for a while. Prayers for the colleague's parents' recovery. Don’t forget that the flu is known for leaving people feeling tired and worn out for a couple of weeks after the rest of the symptoms go away.

The Executive Decision

Ingredients: - 1 oz Aged Single Malt Scotch

- 1 oz XO Cognac

- 1/2 oz Amaro Montenegro

- 1/4 oz Grand Marnier

- 1/4 oz Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur

- 2 dashes Angostura Bitters

- 2 dashes Orange Bitters

- Sparkling Mineral Water

- Lemon twist for garnish

- Sprig of Rosemary for garnish

- One edible gold leaf for garnish

Glass: Serve in a chilled Old Fashioned glass.

Instructions:

1. Fill a mixing glass with ice.

2. Pour the aged single malt Scotch, XO Cognac, Amaro Montenegro, Grand Marnier, Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur, Angostura Bitters, and Orange Bitters into the mixing glass.

3. Stir gently but thoroughly for approximately 30 seconds, ensuring a well-blended concoction without over-diluting.

4. Place a large ice cube in the chilled Old Fashioned glass.

5. Strain the mixed drink over the ice in the Old Fashioned glass.

6. Top the cocktail with a splash of sparkling mineral water to add a touch of effervescence.

7. Express the oils of a lemon twist over the drink and rim the edge of the glass before adding it to the cocktail.

8. Gently lay a sprig of rosemary across the rim as an aromatic garnish.

9. For the ultimate touch of opulence, delicately place one edible gold leaf atop the surface of the drink.

From <> https://www.bargpt.app/ai-cocktail-recipe/the-executive-decision

• carolehalston
    Options

NM, I think you're being wise to put off moving. It all seems so much so soon. One thing you didn't mention is Maine summers, which are wonderful. We leave our comfortable little home for four months to escape to a more pleasant summer in MN and MN summers are not as pleasant as New England summers. One reason we don't go to NE for summers is that it's so much more expensive than MN, thanks to Boston and NY folks.

When we were RV'ers, we enjoyed a number of trips to the delightful New England states. We loved Camden and Rockport before they became so upscale. Also loved New Hampshire and Vermont. We actually spent a winter in Vermont working at a ski lodge during our young carefree days.

Now that you're retired, you can go for visits to NC, bringing the dogs with you if that's ok with your relatives in NC.

Enjoy the cruise!

Hi to everyone else.

• karen1956
    Options

Kim - good idea to take time and figure out next steps. Enjoy the cruise. I know when I finally retire, we will travel more. We will go away for a couple months at a time.

I'm cleared to go back to work - no longer contagious from the flu but not all the way well. I'm still tired and coughing. I got up early - about 5:45 and fell asleep in the morning and after lunch. 5:45 is not early on work days. I'll be leaving at 7:00 till spring break. After spring break, I think I won't need to leave till 7:30 but I'll find out Thursday. Tomorrow will be a short day as I need to leave at 1:15 for endocrinology appointment at 2:00. Surgeon is the one who told me to follow up with endo 6 weeks post surgery.

I sent to return to work paperwork to the pcp through the patient portal messaging on Friday. I called to follow up late morning today and they said they can't pull off the forms from there, that it needs to be emailed. I didn't want to risk it not being done, so I ran over the the office, fortunately it's only 10 minutes away and dropped off the form then picked it up after 4. It was around 5 when I scanned it to the HR person.

It is COLD today in Denver. We got 2" snow. High I think was 25 so it will be snow pants for my walk tonight. Tomorrow it will be 50.

• minustwo
    Options

NM - I also agree about putting the brakes on a move for now. You have such good friends where you are (like your wine group). A good part of why I stay where I am is the long time relationships. Now that you're retired, you'll have more time to meet with friends.

• nativemainer
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Hump Day! Waking up to rain and wind, but at least it's in the 40s, nearly 50 degrees, which is nicer than the cold wind. Renewing the driver's license today, doing a CPR recert class, dinner with Mom. Tomorrow is packing and taking the puppers to the kennel. Then a whole week of time with Laura and Duane, no decisions or choices to make more important than what to order for dinner or which pair of shorts to wear, or what drink to order. No one constantly asking me what I'm going to do now that I'm retired, as if I have to have a whole calendar of things planned out, which I don't. I am so looking forward to some pampering!

Carole--that's what I was feeling, too much change too fast, time to slow things down. Maine summers can be beautiful, but I haven't had much opportunity to really enjoy that time, and I think I should go into this summer with that in mind. Good point about visiting NC more than once a year, too.

Karen--Glad to hear you are cleared to go back to work. I'm not surprised you don't feel totally well, getting over the flu takes weeks, especially after you get to be "of a certain age." Good luck with the appointment. 25 degrees to 50 degrees, what a big change!

Minus--having to make new friends and create a new social circle is one of the things I thought about in the middle of the night recently. It's not that I can't do that, but do I want to? There are definitely more things to think about here, and there really is no deadline or timeline I have to meet. So time to slow things down.

SUMMER SLOW DOWN COCKTAIL

Ingredients

• 1.5 oz Hennessy Very Special
    • 0.75 oz Sloe gin
    • 0.75 oz Fresh meyer lemon juice
    • 0.5 oz Simple syrup
    • 4 Dashes Peychaud bitters
    • 1 Lemon twist

From <> There was an error displaying this embed.

• jazzygirl
    Options

NM- I think your decision to move right now is a good one. I think about moving too after I am retired, but am in a similar situation to you being a single gal, having a home that is paid for, etc. Not to mention a really great community of friends here I have built since I moved here in 1996. I really like the Cochella Valley area of CA where my sister has a second home but may be moving there more permanently as time goes on, and really like the Indio area too which I spent time in my last visit to see her. But staying here would be more affordable than moving and trying to replace a home in these expensive times. So instead, I may just spend more time visiting my sister in Palm Springs in the winter months when there is less to do around here. I think you could do the same with visits to your brother to have more time in the area he lives. I decided if I were to move, it won't be after I "retire retire" as I say as I plan to go from FT to PT after next year and then may call it quits all together at 67.

I think most of us structure our lives around working (or running a business) and for some, also raising a family too. As some of those things complete, you may not be sure what you want to do with your free time. My guess is with keeping tabs on your mother, you probably have not had time to think about what you would like to be doing in this new chapter?. My retirement seminars I attend always say it's important to figure out where you want to spend your time once you are retired, otherwise you may "fail" retirement and just find yourself back to working on some level. I saw that happen to my sister and others I know, but my sister now is back to working PT at her old job and likes the arrangement. Enough structure for her week, but not so much to keep her from doing other things she loves. For some, it's part time work, volunteer work, a daily work out schedule, time to focus on home improvement, etc. I think you have time now to think about what you want to do and it's exciting. More time to enjoy the beautiful summers, do the monthly wine with women, etc. Just don't let your mom try to fill up all your free time. I say that as I have always had family who try to do that with me, something that happens to us single gals.

The weather here in New Mexico has been very mild through February. But the horrible spring winds have started and were super high the past few days (up to 70 mph). I hope we don't have a bad year with this, we got spared last spring but the year before was the WORST in my 28 years of living here. Today the air is still and should be better. Tomorrow may be a chance of some rain/snow. We haven't had much moisture for a few weeks and can use some of that again.

I have to get on line to my work day and sending hugs to everyone here who needs them. Have a good slide into March, 10 more days to daylight savings time!

• mistyeyes
    mistyeyes Member Posts: 570
    Options

I always think about moving from FL to Carolina's or Tenn. just so I can have the different seasons, without a really long and hard winter. My kids are here and very much settled with their work and the grandchildren are just getting into the ages where they won't have so much time for me, I want to soak it up while I can. I do want to travel more, I sometimes have to make myself to do somethings alone. My husband and I always planned on traveling after retirement, and just because he died I don't want my life to stop. I have taken some trips to see family in NY and have plans for a few trips coming up.

I mark the days off on the calendar to keep track of the days. I do pick up one of the grand daughters twice a week, so that keeps me a bit responsible. I may need to make my self a schedule as I find I have a personality flaw of procrastinating things that need to be done.

Jazzy - I loved the picture. This moon looks like it was drawn on.

Carole- I feel so bad for your husband, that would be horrible to have constant jaw pain. Never feel bad about rambling on, here is where you are safe to do it. I thought they always check the heart before any surgery.

Goldie - Always praying for you to have good days.

NM- I feel for you with your mom- its just you with your brother gone, there are 3 of us to help my mom. My older sister does all her doctor appts with her. My younger sister helps her with banking questions and takes her to church and bible study, I live next to her so I help her at home when needed. She still drives, mostly it is to Walmart about 3 miles away and she goes to her music get togethers twice a week with her friend who is in her 90's. She is still quite active and loves being outside. She just got done planting her potatoes.

Thinking about all of you, and we are having nice weather here and wondering if Illimae is enjoying her tropical bar yet.

• nativemainer
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Thirsty Thursday! Waking up to a dusting of snow and lots of ice as the rain from yesterday froze overnight. Waiting until I can check in for my flight tomorrow, then taking the puppers to the kennel, then packing for the cruise is today's To Do list. I am not going to get an internet package on the cruise, so I will be off the air until I get back, which is in the evening of the 10th. I promise to think about you all while I'm away!

Jazzy--your plan seems really sound. Some of what you mention has crossed my mind as well. And I think I have fallen into the trap of feeling like I need to make a plan ASAP because so many people are asking me "What are you going to do now that you're retired?" and I didn't want to say I hadn't decided yet. One friend told me that it's ok to no know what I want right now, I've never been in this situation before, and it's ok to take some time to figure it out. That made just so much sense! Keeping tabs on Mom is taking more time as she ages, even though she really tries to "not be a bother." And I really don’t mind helping her out, but I know I have to set up some boundaries in order to keep things balanced.

Misty--traveling alone does have some challenges, but is easier today than it used to be, especially for women. It's good you realize your life can't stop after your husband's death. Your life is different, but still happening. I think making a schedule is a good idea. I was reading recently about the benefits of creating structure in your days. Being a creature of habit, a good structure is a great idea for me. But that's for after the cruise! And if I have to mark of days on a calendar, so be it, there are worse thing in life, right? Your Mom sounds like a busy and interesting lady!

The Cruiser Cocktail

Ingredients:

• 1 oz Vodka
    • 1 oz Coconut Rum
    • 1/2 oz Peach Schnapps
    • 1 1/2 oz Pineapple Juice
    • 1 1/2 oz Cranberry Juice
    • 1 1/2 oz Orange Juice

Instructions:

• Blend all ingredients together.
    • Pour over ice. Garnish with orange slice.

From <>

https://www.cruisingearth.com/info/carnival-cruise-lines/beverage-recipes/the-cruiser/

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,881
    Options

NM, Enjoy your cruise. Take photos to post when you return so we can be there too in our imaginings

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,634
    Options

NM, I'm looking forward to hearing about your cruise when you get back. Enjoy and stay safe!

Carol

• jazzygirl
    Options

NM- people are filled with questions we sometimes don't have answers too. For now, I am going to relax folks, lol. I think you are getting ready for your trip, right? Perfect time to take a break from the Maine winter and go have some fun. You deserve it sister!

• minustwo
    Options

NM - schedules are good as long as you take AT LEAST one or two days a week to do nothing. It took me awhile after retiring not to feel guilty about spending an entire day in the recliner with a book. Have a fun cruise.

• karen1956
    Options

Kim - have a great trip. I look forward to seeing your photos when you are back home. When my husband first retired, people kept asking him what he was going to do - like you are supposed to have the rest of your life planned out the day you retire!!!

Lori - how are you doing?

Yesterday was a short first day back as I left at 1:30 for endocrinology appointment. Appointment was more or less uneventful. She still wants me on calcium - 500mg twice daily. She said for post menopausal and over 65 it's important. If my calcium levels are good, then I won't see her again - at least not till I'm done the Zometa with my Hematologist. I had labs drawn this morning for my Nephrologist and will send the results to her.

Full day today. Over the two days, I've met with staff at the school I will be covering till spring break and then the one after spring break. They will be good assignments. I'm excited for the one after spring break. Also had an interview/meeting regarding a student. It was long and intense. I was working this afternoon and saw the health of the mental health department and we got to schmooze for a few minutes. She was my SW when I first started 15 years ago. She has moved up the chain of command and is amazing. For a few years she was my manager. I told her I just came back from FMLA and she was good for you for taking the time you needed.

Now, I just need to be not so tired at the end of the work day. At least this was a short work week - 2 days, but the next 3 weeks before spring break are full work weeks for me, my regular 4 day weeks.

My insurance approved my sleep study for 2 nights. It will be done at home. The sleep center had to get an extension on the pre-approval. They are sending me the equipment on Monday and I should have it by the end of next week. The gal said to use it the night I get it and then again the next night. I'm curious what the results will be and then next steps.

Going to get ready to walk with DH. Sweet dreams.

• goldie0827
    Options

Carol, wishing you the best with your appt. and of course your DH. Having constant pain is NO FUN!

NM, OH MY DEAR! Cruise in 3 days only! I had to chuckle about it, but if it were me, I would be in a panic. I would rather have my vacation being a week later than what I was thinking, rather than just 3 days! You make a good point about not moving, and def. something you need to give thought to. You can always do some of your traveling (depending on where you are going) during those cold winter months. ENJOY THAT CRUISE!!!

Misty, how nice and how fortunate for your mom, that you are right next door. Hopefully you don't have worries, like NM does with her mom driving.

....and back to the hospital I go! Feels like another bowel obstruction. Starting throwing up during my blood transfusion on Tuesday, and then more Wednesday. Always after eating and I get large buldge in tummy.

Been here since Wednesday, they gave me some Dilaudid and put an NG tube in. They are pretty much telling me there is nothing more they can do for me, then something comes up, and they say differently. Cancer is pushing on all my organs in my abdomen, hence the ostomy, nephrostomies and stent. PA came in earlier, results from MRI show narrowing of bile ducts. But up to surgeons as to what they will do, which I have not heard from. It's Friday, so I'm hoping I don't have to wait until Monday. NG tube is starting to give me sore throat and I'm having some blood in my urine. Been pretty loopy since being on morphine for the last couple of days, but feeling good enough, I think I can stop and maybe just do some Oxy at night. I'M HANGRY, to say the least! It also seems like I've been here for 5-6 days, not 3!