Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

how about drinking?

Options

Comments

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,935
    Options

Goldie - sending much love ❤️

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,519
    Options

Lori - sending you hug and love 💗 You sure have been through more than your share. I'm glad that you are keeping us posted.

My granddaughter is recognizing us on face time which warms my heart.

Have great rest of Friday and Saturday

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,607
    Options

It’s warming up friends, get ready.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 857
    Options

Goldie, thinking of you with love and care.

Illimae I could use some of that water 😉

Tonight at our community appetizers and BYOB we had a red wine blend called Sangria. Yummy.

• jazzygirl
    Options

Hi ladies, and happy Funday Sunday:

Here we are in March and hoping everyone is having a good weekend. I am always relieved to get to March as it tells me daylight savings time is soon to arrive, the official start to spring and much more. I may be here a bit less this month but wishing everyone a good start to spring!

NM- I expect you may be at the cruise by now and hope you have the best time. Great way to "decompress" from not just leaving this latest job, but many decades in the work world. We will look forward to hearing about it when you are back and settled.

Karen- that is so sweet your granddaughter recognizes you on facetime. How heartwarming.

Ill- you are right things are warming up and it looks like you will have the drinks ready for us all!

Goldie- thinking about you and hoping your medical team can help with whatever they can including what will help you to have less discomfort and pain from all this.

ChiSandy, Reader, Misty Eyes, Minus Two and everyone else here, hoping you are well.

Will be back when I can and enjoy the rest of your weekend and the unfolding of spring here in the northern hemisphere.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,274
    Options

((((((Goldie))))))))))

Windy here, again, again, again…nutsy temps here too.

• mistyeyes
    mistyeyes Member Posts: 570
    Options

Oh Goldie, I am always thinking of you. I think as often as you have been in the hospital lately they should let you have a room reserved just for you and let you decorate it.

Illimae - I think I could use some of that summer water…how refreshing.

Reader - I do like sangria.

Jazzy - sounds like you have a busy March planned. Have fun!

Greetings and hoping for a stress free weekend.

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    Options

Good morning! They did some kind of a scope/ultra sound yesterday and put a stent in, bile ducts, I believe. They said it was complicated, due to so much blockage and narrowing. Being put on regular diet, so waiting for that. I haven't eaten in 5 days! I should be released tomorrow. I would head home, but found out yesterday, my DD is flying in tomorrow night and my son and his GF are driving. I'm not real happy about this and wish they would have consulted me first. Then my DD is leaving Friday, so back down here I come then!

I did not get a "reg. diet", they put me on "soft" instead. Still have some stomach pain, where they put the stent, which is up by my sternum and it resinates around to my back. I have also been bleeding vaginally. So, I need to see gyn. when I leave here. He thinks it could be a cist on top of my cervix. Most likely just need to cauterize it, to stop the bleeding.

Misty, instead of decorating, can I have my own bed? Bigger and more comfy!

• illimae
    Options

Goldie, that all sounds scary and frustrating to me, I hate that you’re going through any of it. I’m wishing nothing but the best for you.

• wallycat
    Options

Goldie (and so many other gals) and my DH…heroes. I wish I had 1/4 of the emotional stamina for this crap.

I had a butt-load of wine…Italian, port and California (only a pour of each, and small pours)….between the neighbors, DH's situation, my upcoming labs, the upcoming trek to seattle….again, Goldie, my hero….

• goldie0827
    Options

WallyCat….

• wallycat
    Options

LOL!!!!! I love that!!!!!

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 830
    Options

I have a question, how often do the ladies here drink?

• mistyeyes
    Options

Hi Homemom- I do not drink very often, maybe 1-2 drinks a month, if that on my own. I think I would drink more if I didn't get hot flashes every time I drink alcohol. Some of the drink recipes look so good, I would want to taste those. I like to go to wine tastings, you drink small tastes of wine, I don't know what it adds up to, and if I go out with friends I usually only have one drink. I drink a lot of coffee and ice tea, which maybe why I am having trouble sleeping.

• mistyeyes
    Options

Wallycat - that wine tasting with the neighbors sounds fun. Goldi - interesting to learn what a butt-load is. lol

• homemom
    Options

I really didn't think I was drinking much, but when my sister lived near me, we'd meet up around the corner for happy hour at the local establishment that serves charcuterie boards, sandwiches etc. A "glass" which is probably 2 is $4 at 4:00, $5 at 5:00 etc. We'd sit for a couple hours and it would take me an hour to drink one glass. I'm starting to think I need to quit to keep cancer from coming back. They have wine tastings too. There is a group of us in the neighborhood that meet there to talk, eat and drink once or twice a week. Since my sister moved, I don't go nearly as much, but I do love a small glass or two at home if I had a stressful day.

This neighborhood is highly social. We have happy hours once a month at each other's homes, and have other alcohol related events like Latkas and vodka, and even monthly outdoor movies where you can score a white claw from behind the popcorn stand. LOVE this neighborhood, but I'm beginning to think it's been a detriment to my health.🙄

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,634
    Options

I drink on and off. Mostly social with my neighbors or my sister. When I mentioned it to my MO, she said if I enjoy it, then why not? I’m Stage IV, so what’s the worst it could do to me?

Guilt and stress will do do more harm than a glass of wine. Just my opinion. I love my ladies here. There’s no judgment or guilt. Just a lot of love ❤️

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,881
    Options

I don't drink any more but had plenty of practice earlier. The posted drinks are so fanciful, I love imagining them. Wouldn't have the patience to make these.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,116
    Options

I have a drink most every evening - usually something like gin & tonic or bourbon & water. I also often have a glass of wine with dinner. I'm up front with my docs and they don't seem to have a problem with it. Tonight I didn't have any wine so I'll treat myself a shot of Bailey's before bed time.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 857
    Options

2-3 times a week for me, perhaps A bit more in the summer. I have swallowing issues from a GI disorder so I don't do anything to aggravate that, which too much alcohol can do for me. When I have a drink I enjoy it.

• goldie0827
    Options

Homemom, I think that has to be a choice that you make and that you feel ok with your choice. To my understanding, there really is no proof of the alcohol/BC. Some women here don't drink at all! So I say, if you aren't going to feel guilty about it, or blame the alcohol if something changes, then don't do it. If YOU are ok with it, then BOTTOMS UP girl. Doesn't look to me like you indulge all that much. Quitting drinking IS NOT going to stop cancer from coming back. Again, if you continue to drink, cancer comes back...are you going to blame it on drinking? Sounds like a nice neighborhood you are in! Where do you live?

Wren, had to chuckle at "...but had plenty of practice earlier."

Hoping to break out of here today. My DD got into town around midnight. Long story there! Short version, she thought I was on my death bed and the rest of the family was coming. So, she's here and was going to go back home on Friday. It's like, why would you spend all that money, fly from the VI to AZ and only stay 2 days??? Which would also mean that now I have to spend more time here. I NEED TO PACK! Anyways, she canceled her Friday flight and will leave on Monday. So, I will have her for a few days anyways, to help with packing. IF I can get out of here!

For MistyEyes, another Hot Flash

• jazzygirl
    Options

Homemom - when I first had my dx, my first MO said try not to drink more than 2-3 times a week. Later, my MO I saw for years later said he didn't think it mattered. For 40 years many studies have gone around on this. I drink when I want too and usually around social get togethers.

Ask your MO what he or she thinks

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,876
    Options

I have a cocktail most evenings before dinner. DH makes the drinks at 5 pm. It's kind of a joke/ritual that we wait until 5pm. During warm weather we have martinis on the rocks, vodka for me and gin for him. During cold weather we often have bourbon old-fashioneds. We also drink wine. I like chardonnay and he likes a sweeter white wine.

I've been thinking that I should cut down on the alcohol calories in an effort to lose weight. So far it hasn't gotten beyond thinking.

Hope NM is having fun on her cruise.

Hope you can get out of the hospital and stay out, Goldie. Hugs to you.

• homemom
    Options

Thank you guys, this helped more than you know! I am going to quit this year due to going off my AI's as a precautionary measure. My MO told me in the beginning to now worry, they want to put us all in a box etc etc. It'll be a challenge though.

Goldie, I live in downtown Orlando. It's a little historical area and the little place we like to meet up at is exactly 66 steps from my front door, so way too convenient! :) I can also walk to some great eating establishments. I have a World of Beer within walking distance too.

• miriandra
    miriandra Member Posts: 2,073
    Options

I like the occasional glass of wine or liquor at home, and sometimes I'll have a margarita if we're eating out. I don't care for beer at all.

• homemom
    Options

I would say I've been drinking almost 4 days a week. Sometimes just a glass of wine, and other times 4 glasses. I say 4 because my little hangout has happy hour between 4-7 and for the locals, they give you a bigger pour. So I'm doubling the number of glasses I drink there!

• illimae
    Options

Homemom, I drink 2 or 3 times a month on average, only when I feel like it. That could mean 1 beer or glass of wine or 3 cocktails, depending on my mood but I love trying out the cocktails posted here.

• wallycat
    edited March 6
    Options

Mistyeyes, I wish I had decent neighbors. I was drinking BECAUSE of my neighbors, not with them, LOL. THey are jerks, or as I refer to them, Satan's spawn.

I drink daily. Usually wine with dinner. Depends on how good the wine is or if I have company or how I'm feeling with regard to how much. Life is short. DH's ex is a recovering (usually) alcoholic and has had zero cancer…it's a crap shoot. Alcohol has good aspects and some scary aspects. I treat it like food and the way the French and Italians treat it…something will kill me so I have stopped trying to figure it out.

• homemom
    Options

That is far lower than me. We even have a group text to let each other know who is going down there to "EG" to have a glass so others may join them. One couple goes every single night. I couldn't do that.

When I cook Italian, I have to have a glass of red, and they I have one more to watch tv. I would drink far less if I didn't live in such a vibrant neighborhood! 😎

• homemom
    Options

My mom is 89. She is obese, has a pacemaker, and now onset dementia. She has never really exercised. The one thing she has done, is not drink much. Holidays is about the only time I've seen her have one drink. I'm just mulling everything over in my mind. My husband also quit drinking 10 years ago so he's been my DD.

I don't know what I'm going to do, at this point I haven't had a drink of wine in 2 weeks due to allergies and now being on Prednisone. (blah). So I'm not feeling it right now. Thanks to everyone who answered me, it was a tremendous help!