Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

how about drinking?

Options

Comments

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,616
    Options

Fingers crossed, mirilandra!

• sunshine99
    Options

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,514
    Options

Well…the snow is on its way. It has already started snowing. They keep uping the snow totals predicted. Now 10-20 inches is predicted for Denver and more for the foothills. My school district texted everyone at 2:45 saying schools/administration etc are closed tomorrow. Thankful they didn't wait till 10pm!! All the metro area school districts are closed tomorrow. I"m guessing schools will be closed on Friday as well. The last snow day was the day of my surgery - I think it was more due to temperatures than snow!! I wonder if they docked me sick time, but then again I don't care enough to check. I'm sure we will be doing lots of shoveling the driveway and side walk tomorrow. If the snow starts before we go to bed, we'll shovel, but DH thinks it will start later at night. The weather forecast even made the national news!!!

Looking forward to sleeping in past 5am. I'm tired of waking up tired!!!

Mirianda - stay safe!

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    Options

Sunshine, hoping the Truqap works and you can remain on it! If you do, will it cost you 3K each month? I got a voice mail from the manufacture, looks like I'm approved for assistance. Need to call her back today. I don't even know what the SE's are for this drug. Need to go back and re-visit the thread.

Karen, looks like you are getting some big snow amounts? I hope you get those sleep study results SOON.

NM, aka Pina Colada Lady! I love it! So glad you had a wonderful time, but of course we knew you would.

Nothing new for me, things are still the same, which I don't expect to get better, only worse. Just hoping I can at least get to MI and last for the summer there. Had a rough ride home after picking up my brother, threw up 3 times. Normally I would have headed to the ER, but I know now what to do. Lay down on my right side. It may take me a day to recover, but it's better than being in the hospital!

• karen1956
    Options

Winter wonderland!! These were taken about 7:00am after about 10 hours snow - snowing all day and into the night. We probably have 12" so far. It's wet heavy snow, so shoveling the driveway will be a challenge! It will take DH and I several goes at it throughout the day. Walking should be fun!!

Lori - hugs to you my friend 🤗

• sunshine99
    Options

goldie, that's beautiful, but a lot of snow! I should have only one copay with the Truqap. If I read my Medicare Part D plan correctly, there's a $500 annual deductible, and then I'll pay the $3K only once a year. My monthly premium is supposed to be $0.40 a month.

I hope you're feeling better today. I'm sorry you were so sick yesterday.

Carol

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,815
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Thirsty Thursday! I had a lovely time at the Wednesday, Women and Wine get together last night. And it was so nice to come home, be able to putter around until I was ready to go to sleep, and then sleep until I was ready to get up and not be getting up to the alarm to go to work!

I started cleaning out the email inbox yesterday, and wound up spending the day on the computer cancelling subscriptions I don't really want or need anymore, finding new pet insurance for the puppers (and found out I could get a much better rate with the AARP discount than I was with the employee benefit plan), refilling my prescriptions (and discovering I'm not going to pay anything other than the $9.50 monthly premium for them), getting the card for one of my Health Savings Accounts activated and a few other financial things taken care of.

Thank you, Illi and Carole.

Karen--I'm thinking of getting some Pina Colada mix and keeping the cruise feeling going. My cousin and I are related on both sides of our families, my cousin's parents were my mother's sister and my father's nephew. No surprise there's a resemblance! Glad to hear the training went well. I hope you get the sleep study results soon. It doesn't seem like it should take very long to get that report.

Miriandra--praying you get the day off!

Goldie--I hope the right-side lying cleared stopped the vomiting quickly.

Karen--winter wonderland, indeed!

MEDICARE Mai Tai Punch

1 bottle (1500 ml) dark rum (or 2 bottles, 750 ml each)

2 cans (46 oz. each) pineapple juice

1 can (16 oz.) frozen orange juice concentrate

¾ cup each freshly squeezed lime juice and lemon juice

8 oz. grenadine

Mix all ingredients in 3-gallon punch bowl; chill.

To serve, fill glasses with ice and add punch.

From <>

http://www.kitchencaucus.com/2012/11/medicare-mai-tai-punch.html?m=1

• miriandra
    miriandra Member Posts: 2,066
    Options

The spa closed today! We'll see what happens for tomorrow. Before they decided to close, my manager had called to see if I wanted to come in to see my lone booking or if she should try to move her to a different massage therapist. I said moving her would be fine, and if she was trying to consolidate appointments to minimize MTs in the spa, she could prioritize other MTs over me. A few hours later, I checked my schedule - I was fully booked! WTF!! Turned out all but two MTs had said they were not coming in, and only one other MT and myself were willing to even consider coming in. Thankfully, there was already over 10" of accumulation by the early morning, so they just cancelled the day.

One of our trees broke a big branch from the weight of the snow.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,855
    Options

Awesome snow pictures!

• nativemainer
    Options

Some cruise pics—my cousin is the photographer. She took nearly 1000 pictures and videos!

Sunset from our balcony

Grand Caymen—on the sandbar with the stingrays

Kiss a stingray, get 7 years of good luck!

Catching a nap on the sail back to the ship.

In Jamaica:

River Tubing—cousin Laura in the purple sunglasses, me behind her

Laura in purple sunglasses, me behind her, Duane to Laura's right in yellow shirt

One of the riverside bars—selling beer, rum punch, water, soda

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,263
    Options

Oh man am I jealous of all that snow!! We hit 52 and may hit 60+ (seattle may hit 70)…is it October yet? I'm over spring.

Goldie, I hope the new med will work and you get some comfort/relief. DH's initial meds were 5K/month so I feel your pain. Hugs to you.

All you summer-sun-loving gals, wish you I could learn to like that…not a fan.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 849
    Options

NM love the cruise pictures! So fun! Keep the Pina colada feeling going!

Karen beautiful snow pictures but glad I'm just looking at them, haha. Living in the south now and not looking back.

Goldie my prayers, thoughts and we'll wishes are with you. I have strange/rare upper GI troubles. I may try your right side trick. Appreciate you sharing that and hope your time with your brother is meaningful and helpful.

Hi to everyone I missed 👍😘

• carolehalston
    Options

Thanks for sharing the cruise fun pictures. I felt relaxed just looking at them! You enjoyed such a range of activities off the ship.

Wally, you are the only person among my acquaintances who prefers wintry weather. Have you always felt that way? There was a time when I liked summer and didn't mind the heat and humidity as much as I dislike both now. DH and I lived on a big wooden sailboat without a/c during our younger years. I wore a bikini and got a suntan. Now I love a/c and go to the dermatologist for skin cancers. Not a day goes by that I don't use a tinted sunscreen on my face. Closing the barn door after the horses have fled.

Thinking of you, Goldie, and sending hugs.

• nativemainer
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy TGIF Day! Got a call from Mom last evening, her car started making funny noises while she was out yesterday, now she's afraid to drive it until she can get it checked out, so she needs a ride to pick up her meds and do a grocery run today. There's a recall on her car that she got a letter about some months ago, but apparently the fix isn't known yet or some such thing. I'm hoping she still has the letter so I can read it and see what is going on there. I've never heard of a recall on a car that didn't have a fix. She says the letter says not to park the car in a garage or close to a structure due to potentially catching fire. There has got to be more to the story than that!

Morning, Wally, Reader, Carole!

Hugs to Goldie.

Lucky Shamrock Shake

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup Bailey’s Irish Cream
    • 1 tsp. Honey
    • 2 Cups Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
    • 1/4 Cup Milk
    • 1 Small Bunch of Fresh Mint Leaves
    • 1/2 tsp. Pure Peppermint Extract
    • 2 tsp. Green Sprinkles
    • 2 tsp. Green Food Coloring

Preparation

1. Rim two glasses with honey, dip in green sprinkles, and set aside.
    2. In a blender, puree ice cream, Irish Cream or milk, mint leaves, peppermint extract, and green food coloring.
    3. Pour into a glass.
    4. Top with whipped topping.
    5. Garnish with Lucky Charms marshmallows.
    6. Serve immediately and enjoy!

From <>

https://chilledmagazine.com/five-essential-march-cocktails/

• sunshine99
    Options

I was going to respond to some posts yesterday, but was on my phone and it was too much work. Now I can't find them. Sigh…

NM, crazy story with your mom's car. I agree that there is more to the story than what they're saying…

Not much going on here. I have all (I think) my Medicare coverage in place but still need to figure out how it all works. I have piles of paperwork everywhere.

Stay safe, everyone, in the crazy weather that seems to be everywhere.

• wallycat
    Options

Carole, yes, I have always adored snow, cold, winter, short days, no sun. Maybe the years I lived in Israel as a little girl turned me off to warm days…we used to run on the beaches near the Mediterranean Sea ( I was 2-4 years old. We came to America when I was 4-1/2, nearly 5) and even then, I remembered thinking..ugh, the sun. That was pre-sunscreen being invented.

• goldie0827
    Options

OH KAREN, that's a lot of snow! Do be careful shoveling all that wet/heavy stuff!

Teka, I only wish there was "recovery" in my future. Unfortunately, I don't think so.

Sunshine, glad you only have to pay that co-pay one time. Makes it so it doesn't hurt quite so bad.

NM, getting some Pina Colada mix sounds perfect! Love the cruise pictures, especially the nap one and the "riverside bar". It just looks like a local yocal making some moola on the side! Welcome home! Interesting about your cousin and being related on both sides. Hoping mom can get her car issues resolved.

Miriandra, you too on the snow! Glad you had your day canceled after they bombarded you with appts.

Reader, I hope laying on your R side gives you some of the relief you need. Let me know!

Carol, how exciting to have lived on a big wooden sailboat! I'm like you with WallyCat, never knew anyone that liked cold, snow and no sun!

Things are the same with me, which I take as a GOOD thing! So happy to be home and not in a hospital bed! My internet went out yesterday, willy nilly and I can't figure out what's wrong. My neighbor, with same service has internet. Hoping to get that resolved today. I'm able to post connecting to a hot spot on my phone, but it's super weak and slow.

• karen1956
    Options

Goldie - DH and I are very careful when shoveling - only fill the shovel 1/2 way. All told, Thursday we probably spent the equivalent of 3 hours shoveling. We got a few more inches last night but it was easy to shovel. A lot of the snow on the streets have melted. Stable/same is good! Prayers, good wishes, fingers crossed that you get to enjoy time in Michigan. Hope your visit with your brother is helpful and enjoyable.

Wally - did I know you lived in Israel as a young child? My youngest made Aliyah in 2017. Summers are oppressive by the sea but its hot in Denver in the summer so I'd rather be in Israel. When I retire, I can be choosy when I travel. My first time in Israel was 2007, a celebration of finishing treatment. Since then I've been close to 20 times. Except for Covid, we go twice/year to see our daughter and she comes 1-2 times/years depending on her school/exam schedule.

I grew up east of the Mississippi - in Montreal as a young girl, VA for a couple years, then Ohio will DH and I moved to CO 38 years ago. I do not like the dampness or humidity of the east coast and mid west. My perfect summer day is 75F, blue sky and light breeze. I do love the sun for warmth. In the winter I can always put more clothes on.

Have a great Friday night and Saturday.

• wallycat
    edited March 16
    Options

Karen, not sure if I'd posted the info before; maybe on the other thread that I was thrown off of…I was born in Poland (Warsaw) and we moved to Israel when I was 1-1/2…then to the US (Wisconsin) when I was 4-1/2- 5 years old. We moved to WA about 13 or 14 years ago. If memory serves me, we lived in Kiryat Haim, Haifa while in Israel. My DH is born and bred in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

My perfect summer would be 55 degrees….and then fall and winter in the 20s and 30s…but even Antarctica won't do that for long, LOL.

• nativemainer
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Saturday! Spent the day yesterday chauffeuring Mom around, I can see where this is likely to become a regular thing, and that's not bad. Her car recall is about a problem with the ABS system that can cause leaking that can affect the electrical system and cause fires even if the car isn't running. The letter does say the fix isn't known yet and she'll be contacted when it is, in the meantime don't park the car in a garage or close to a building.

I think Colt has decided that 9 peeyem is bedtime. Last night and the night before it was just about 9 peeyem when he got up and was staring at me, barked a couple of times, asked to go out, then tried to herd me toward the bedroom. I think Zoe has decided that 7:30/9\8:00 ayem is a good time to get up, and my bladder seems to agree with her, especially after she steps on it during her Good Morning wiggle and bounce dance!

Goldie--the riverside bars are just about what you think, with a small twist. You pick up the drink while tubing, have to remember who you bought it from, and you pay them when you get back to the place where you get your gear. The guides warned us about making sure to know who we buy drinks from, as all of them will try to get payment and people have paid for more drinks than they actually had. And only cash is accepted--US dollars or Jamaican, which benefits the locals as the US dollar was worth about a dollar and a half Jamaican. Glad you are home, and hoping your internet issues are fixed ASAP.

Karen--damp is a good way to describe much of the weather here! Cold and damp is miserable, much rather have frigid cold but dry, at least it's easier to get warmed up that way!

Wally--Brrr. You'd probably love it here in Maine, the ocean temps don't get up to 55 degrees but for a very short time during hot summers. This winter has been 20s to 40s almost all the time, just a few times of lower than that, and then mostly because of windchills.

There was an error displaying this embed.

Sweater Weather

INGREDIENTS

• 2 ounces silver tequila
    • 1 ounce pineapple juice
    • 1/2 ounce simple syrup
    • 1 ounce Campari
    • 1 ounce fresh lime juice
    • 1 pinch salt

INSTRUCTIONS

• Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add the tequila, pineapple juice, simple syrup, Campari, lime juice, and salt. Shake vigorously (at least 30 seconds).
    • Strain into a chilled glass with ice. Garnish with a grapefruit twist, if desired. Cheers!

From <>

https://thenewnewengland.com/recipes/sweater-weather/

• carolehalston
    Options

Wally, you conjured up such a lovely picture, a small child playing by the sea.

NM, Maine has wonderful summers. I don't mind our winters in Louisiana but I do mind the summers. And I hate our politics. I faithfully go to the poles and vote for losing candidates. Our retiring governor was a bright spot in moderation (I voted for him) but now he's gone and the hard right are in total control. I read an article today about how nearly all parishes/counties in Louisiana are losing population. Hurricanes are a big reason and exorbitant insurance prices are another.

Just curious, NM. Do you eat lobster fairly often? I would guess that it's expensive even in Maine. I loved the lobster rolls when we spent time in Maine. DH loved the clam chowder. Mm.. my mouth is watering.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 849
    Options

Goldie hope you are having a better day and enjoying your company. Your trick of laying on the right at times is helpful. Thank you!

I love Maine summers. Partner and I are ready to plan for this summer. This is our first year in the south and a summer trip up north should be just the thing.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone. 🍀☘️

• goldie0827
    Options

WallyCat, "other thread I was thrown off of".....do tell! (if you so choose)

NM, interesting about the riverside bars. Glad you got things right about moms car, seems she was right about it!

Reader, glad to hear laying on your side has been helpful, even if a little bit!

I did get internet finally, after turning router on and off all day and it not helping! Come to find out, the CC they had on file had expired! I was on auto pay. No notification sent to let me know! Just glad we figured it out! Have had some horrible things happen in my neck of the woods with 2 different neighbors. One, young man who was dealing with horrific SE's from Lymes disease shot himself. He was a great person and at one time was going to buy our business. He would also run our business if we had to go out of town. Leaving behind a young son, 14 or so. The other one is some new neighbors, that I did not know. 24 yo autistic son, emptied a gun out on his dad over an argument over chores. This is why I keep to myself! I don't need to know new neighbors! My brother that is here is supposed to leave this coming Thursday, but may be extending a week or more.

• wallycat
    Options

Goldie, it was the forum for older ladies. Someone either didn't read what I posted correctly or decided to dislike "me" without knowing me…others posted virtually similar comments (religious bent to it) but this chris-mary (she's changed her name in real life, I think…sounds a tad flaky, but I digress) but she reported me, then one of the chicago gals PMd (NOT Sandy) me and bemoaned on and on…and I thought, just get out of there, so I left.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,102
    Options

Wally - we're SOOOOO glad you're here and on the dinner thread!!!

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,294
    Options

What's wrong with this picture? (HINT: it's Chicago, still officially winter)

Fear not, the temps will nosedive late tonight, into & through tomorrow, and flurries are forecast for Monday.

Been off here (except the "Older" thread) because I really don't drink much anymore. Two months ago at my annual endo appt. I weighed in at 183 (BMI 34.11) due to "food noise" leading to craving leading to late-night carb binges. Didn't help that over the course of a year I lost both my beloved kitties to cancer (Happy—almost 16—in late Feb. to IBD that became intestinal lymphoma; Heidi—19—to hyperthyroidism when the medicine stopped working and she developed a raging aggressive squamous cell jaw tumor that spread to her gut and chest); and my BFF to a stroke that happened as she recovered from a double cardiac bypass—and I was her medical proxy. I opened up to my endo and she suggested I go on Zepbound (weight loss version of Mounjaro—I buy whichever one's cheaper at refill time). Started mid-Jan., and today I'm at 158.5, BMI 28.99. Lightest I've been in over a year. a1c is down to 5.5. But I don't really crave anything, especially alcohol. If I drink, it's a little of a really good wine that goes with my food. My gut can no longer handle sugar (which is fine because I don't want it anyway), I'm hydrating like crazy, eating small portions and carefully including whole grains and a wider variety of fruits in my diet.

Some may say I'm taking the easy way out, but I pay full price (Medicare doesn't cover ANY weight loss meds and mfr. coupons require insurance) less GoodRx or SingleCare discount. It's pricey, but what we save on restaurant meals (especially now that we bring home more leftovers) pays for more than half of it; and this year I have to start mandatory IRA withdrawals anyway. Side effects thus far (still on the lowest dose) are manageable. It's basically giving me the "willpower" I was never really able to have or maintain. I'm on it "for life;" but at 73 that doesn't sound as onerous as if I were 20 years younger.

Lori, holding you in my heart and hoping your pain doesn't get worse for a long time.

Only travel plan thus far is an eclipse-watching trip to Cleveland Apr. 7-9.

• mistyeyes
    mistyeyes Member Posts: 570
    Options

chisandy - Your picture is so nice. I think the the flowers and the the buds on the trees will get confused whether it is spring or winter if it is suppose to get colder. I scan through the "older" thread, but I do read this one more. Congratulations on doing so well losing weight. I am trying to lose some weight because I am so heavy and uncomfortable. So I do hope you come on more…you can push me to drink more water. lol

NM- I do know when I retired I suddenly got busy with my mom and my kids. I am wondering how they made it when I was working. I do try to spend time with my mom, even though she is kinda buggy, because I know I am lucky she is still here and will miss her when she is gone. My grandchildren think she is so funny. She was hilarious when we played charades.

Wally - I do not like our Florida summers, but I do need warmer temps than you like. I would have to sit around with a blanket.

Goldie - Sorry about your neighbors, both deaths are so tragic. I am glad that your brother can stay a little longer. I hope you are getting a lot of packing done while he is with you. Hoping for some good days for you to enjoy your brother.

I know I am missing a lot of people, but I can't always remember what they posted until after I already replied. Thinking of all of you. Hi to Jazzy, Karen, Sunshine, Carole, Teka, and everyone else I didn't write.

• goldie0827
    Options

WallyCat, you made the right decision, thanks for sharing. You shall never get kicked out of The Hot Tata's Lounge, even if you get too drunk....huggles!

Sandy, congrats on the weight loss. Very pretty spring picture, albeit still being winter. I'm sorry about your fur babies. I think you still had one of them before you sort of stopped posting. Still, never easy. Any plans on getting another?

Misty, apologies are not necessary here. Sometimes it's hard to reply to everyone, so no worries at all. Just come in for the drinks, fun and support!

• karen1956
    Options

Wally - I left that thread as well in the fall after I got read the riot act for telling someone that what she wrote really angered me and then she sent me a private message apologizing buy yet telling me how awful I am and that all the people she knows who have the same profession as me are more more professional!!! Who needs that drama.

Lori - how awful about your neighbors. I hope your brother stays longer if he is helpful to you.

Kim - I don't know why I've never mentioned this before but my grandmother won Miss Old Orchard Beach in 1936 at Old Orchard Pier. The ironic thing about this is my grandmother wasn't a miss - my grandparents were married and my mother was a toddler, they lived in Montreal and were Canadian. My grandparents were on vacation and were my grandparents dancing when they (the contest people I guess) entered my grandmother in the contest. My grandmother was very pretty and my grandfather was very dapper. I have the trophy. It is bent out of shape. My mother called it the pee cup cuz I guess it was used one time for her to pee in it!!! If that is true 😂 Below is a close up of the trophy so you can see the writing, the whole trophy and my mother and grandmother probably, 1935. I had the newspaper articles from grandma winning. I'll have to dig them out and post another time. I guess the connection between the weather in Maine just dawned on me that Old Orchard Beach is in Maine!!! I knew that!🤣

PCP called yesterday. Obstructive sleep apnea. He is putting in a referral for a cpap or autopap. I dread wearing one of these. I'm hoping that I can move to a mouth piece that a friend told me about, but I'll give these a try. I have to improve my sleep as I wake up tired and I'm tired throughout the day. DH said that my sleep needs to improve before I develop heart problems from lack of sleep!

Most of the snow is melted. Weather is warming to the 50s and 60s for the next week. This is my last week before spring break!!!! No plans except to sleep in past 5:00am, putter in the house, walk, read etc.

Tomorrow, I'm going to bake hamentashen for Purim which is next Sunday. My son will take some. Not mailing any to Toronto as last year it was a fortune and then my kids got charged duty.

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 830
    Options

Gorgeous pics of the snow! It'll be 88 here today, but excited for the "cold" front coming on Tuesday with highs in the 60's. Crazy Florida winters.