Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

how about drinking?

Options

Comments

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,513
    Options

Homemom - MY oncologist has never told me not to eat or drink any specific foods/beverages in 18 years since diagnosis. I drink dry red wine and single malt scotch. I may have one drink in a week or have a drink several nights - depends on my mood. Thankfully, I'm NED (no evidence of disease) 18 years after breast cancer diagnosis, but I have a second cancer (MM), CKD, hypercalcemia,osteoporosis and recently had a parathyroidectomy. I maintain a healthy weight, eat healthy and walk daily. I guess the luck of the draw has not been in my favor. I do my best to stay healthy but I'm going to live life while I can. Everything in moderation. I forgot to say welcome!

Lori - how are you doing? how is the visit with your daughter? Is you son with you too? Hope the visits are good.

Sandy - good to hear from you.

Work was good - I like the school I am covering till spring break, the staff is great and I know a few from another school years ago. One of the paras is my neighbor who sees DH and I walking. But, I'm exhausted when I get home. The other night I fell asleep before 9 on the sofa.

Sunday, I need to spend the day getting ready for PD I'm co-facilitating on Tuesday. I've done it a few times before but I'm rusty.

I did the sleep study Tuesday and Wednesday night - need to send the device back today. The device was connect to my phone by bluetooth and an app. I can't see any data - but evidently a report will get sent to my pcp. I would really like to get a copy of the data.

Cold, damp and wet snow today - probably won't get much.

Need to eat breakfast and get busy with errands etc. Have a great Friday.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,855
    Options

Happy Birthday to me today!

Hello to everyone. Hope you have an enjoyable Friday.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,877
    Options

Happy Birthday Carole. Let the good times roll.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,263
    Options

Happy Birthday, Carole.

I'm with you Karen, life is hard enough and if there are pleasures in moderation, of things we enjoy, I'm all in.

I had a Madiran wine last night and a small pour of cream sherry (cheap trader joe's) as dessert.

Big, fat snowflakes two days ago, then the 50s, now the winds are back. I'd take those snowflakes any day..especially in August 🙊

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,592
    Options

Homemom, I used to drink more like you but I lost my taste for it during chemo. These days I might have a big party night but other than that, it’s sort of an occasion for me, trying out a new cocktail or a Corona with lime when DH cooks fajitas.

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 830
    edited March 8
    Options

I've been trying to figure out how to reduce how much I drink in a week/month. Tonight is one of our happy hours and I'm not going. I am taking presidone for a cough and it isn't conducive to being in a party atmosphere. Do I not participate in wine tastings anymore ( they have them once a week)? Do I just pick one night a week to hang out with my friends there? Limit to one wine and a bottle of water and go more often, or just once and drink 2 glasses? One glass there is like 2 glasses per the recommendations.

No more glass (or 2)of wine on the back deck during the week, just because?

In the summer here I like to drink bubbly and chilled rose'. I just think after reading how much everyone says they drink here, I'm a lush!

PS I keep a large dispenser of filtered water with lemon slices, cucumbers and mint in the fridge to offset the wine :)

It's such a quagmire! 🤣

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 830
    Options

Thank you Karen for the welcome! I also exercise 2-3 times at the gym (45 min on elliptical and then I do the back machines to help with Osteopenia) I watch my weight, but I think the carbs in wine is preventing me from being the weight I'd like to be. I'm still on Arimidex (9.5 years), so it's tough to move that weight off, and I am post menopausal.

What type of second cancer do you have? It doesn't look familiar.

Thanks again

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,102
    Options

homemom - I don't believe you are a lush. As I said - I have a drink every night. Sometimes two. Of if not two, I might have a glass of wine with dinner. Tonight I'm having two glasses of wine - full stop. Consider the comments about QUALITY of life!!!. Yes, you can cut back if you want, but don't feel like you have to cut it out entirely.

• wallycat
    Options

Homemom, no one judges how much we drink on this thread. I would hardly use the word lush from what you describe. Answering for Karen, MM (multiple myeloma) is a blood cancer. I have MGUS which is a precursor…some studies show 1% year risk of it actually becoming cancer, but if you are the 1%…

I drink more or less based on my enjoyment. When I was first dx (about to start my 18th year), I drank little and monitored myself. As the years rolled on, I was angry cancer could control my life any more than it already did. I eat and drink and exercise when or if I feel like it. I try to eat healthfully and watch my weight but I no longer obsess. I had to laugh when I watched a Japanese segment on cancer and BMI…maybe it is asian genetics, but it indicated too low a BMI and increase of breast cancer. I had a BMI of 18-19 when I got dx. The sweet spot seems to be 21….who the hell knows.

• miriandra
    miriandra Member Posts: 2,066
    Options

Carole, congratulations on another successful trip around the sun!!

I'm enjoying a simple glass of Barbera d'Asti. Cheers to you!

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 849
    Options

Happy birthday Carole! Cheers!

Tonight was a good old fashioned Cosmo for me. Out to dinner with family. Always fun. And the best oysters Rockefeller I've ever had. A real treat.

Have a great weekend everyone. Thinking of you Goldie ❤️

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,616
    Options

Charles Shaw merlot for me. I don't have a sophisticated palate, but I do prefer reds over whites and dry to sweet. Not to say I'd turn down a glass of Prosecco if it were offered to me.

• minustwo
    Options

The following is from a friend who retired to France. It looks relevant to the recent discussions.

According to this article from the February 29, 2024, edition of Le Monde, “the French are
    drinking less and less alcohol, especially young people, and especially
    wine. There are many reasons behind this reality which is putting the
    industry in difficulty.”

Here are some interesting statistics from the article:

• “In 60 years, French wine consumption has fallen by almost 70%, from
      over 120 liters (31.7 gallons) per capita per year in 1960 to less than
      40 liters (10.6 gallons) in 2020. Far from abating, the trend seems to
      have accelerated in recent years. Just one example: In 2017, 10% of the
      population still drank at least one glass every day; by 2021, it was
      only 8%.
    • Regular wine-drinkers are mainly older people, who are not being
      replaced by new generations. Many young people under thirty-five are
      distancing themselves from alcoholic beverages, or abandoning wine for
      beer. In less than a generation, the loss of interest is obvious. In
      2002, 4.5% of 17-year-olds had never tasted alcohol. In 2020, the figure
      was 20%.”

• miriandra
    Options

Interesting article. My kids (currently 17 and 13 1/2) have tried alcohol, but don't like it - and I'm ok with that. My eldest is particularly put off by it, as they also have challenges with new flavors to begin with. My son will probably develop a taste in the future, but I don't really see him getting to the level of frat-boy keggers.

• wallycat
    Options

Miranda, we were forbidden (!!) any alcohol growing up (eastern Euro parents). Not sure if the "forbidden" made it more enticing or the taste or who knows…I enjoy the taste, the relaxing with friends, the food-aspect, blah, blah…sad that the french would change. I just read an article that Australian vintners are pulling out vines because there is a glut of australian wine. How sad….a delightful food that is being pressured for money. Sorry for the rant.

I had wine and a small pour of cream sherry (trader joe's cheapie). After power outages, TWICE, I am imbibing. Small pleasures.

• karen1956
    Options

homemom - as wallycat said - multiple myeloma - not curable but comes in and out of remission - I'm not in remission but stable. Had to stop treatment early due to toxic for me side effects. I'm not a candidate for stem cell transplant due to previous chemo and gene mutation puts me at high risk for leukemia. So time will tell when I start treatment again. Hematologist sees me every 3 months for labs. My MGUS was diagnosed in January 2019 when Nephrologist was trying to find reason for my stage 3 CKD which thankfully is stable. Never found the cause!!!

Wally - hope your MGUS stays MGUS for many, many years to come.

Nice weather today as sun was out but chilly - couple nice walks and couple long naps. Weather is supposed to be nice till Thursday when snow is in the forecast again. It seems that our snow is always near or on the week-end.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,877
    Options

DD and I went to the Conservatory this morning in the windy rain. It was full of spring flowers and hydrangeas in pink, blue and purple. Anthuriums were blooming and an orchid smelled like cinnamon. It's related to the one that smells like chocolate. Nice break from the cold and wet.

We had lunch at a plant nursery which has a great little restaurant. You eat in an area full of tropical plants and a stream with koi.

• sunshine99
    Options

I'm still drinking my Trader Joe's Charles Shaw merlot. TJ's also has a good frozen French onion soup. I put a splash of cooking sherry in the bottom of the bowl before I bake it.

Happy Sunday everyone!

Carol

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    Options

Just a quick pop in. My DD stayed longer, she has been with me and leaves tomorrow at midnight, and then at 10:30 in the morning, I pick my other brother up, and he is going to stay with me for 10 days. Movers are coming March 29 or 30.

Pretty much in some sort of pain all the time, especially after eating or drinking. However, I learned if I lay on my right side, it helps to move things in the direction it's moving. Better drainage into the stomach…makes sense?

Sounds like everyone is doing pretty good!

Carol, Happy belated Birthday.

I imagine NM will be back home today, but not sure.

Sunshine, I'm going on Truqap. Waiting on manufacture for discount, insurance co pay $2000! How is it treating you, now that you are on the right dose….lol, I read about that!

• carolehalston
    Options

Goldie, you are much loved by your family. I'm so glad. You are definitely a special person.

I'm still working on pre-op for my implant replacement surgery. Tuesday I have a stress test. That should be the last hoop to jump through.

• sunshine99
    Options

goldie, so far, so good on the Truqap. I have enough for three weeks, and by that time I will have had my brain MRI and PET scans. I'm afraid if there is continued progression, my MO will want to change the tx plan. I don't want to have to pay the $3k co-pay if I don't need to. I have my scans on the 19th and 22nd, so hopefully we'll know something by then.

Carol

• karen1956
    Options

Kim - look forward to hearing all about the cruise and seeing photos

Carole - do you have a surgery date yet? Are you going to replace the implants? or go flat?

Lori - sorry to her that you are in constant pain. Sending you hugs. Hope the visit with your daughter was good. Glad that your brother will be with you to help with the move. Hugs my friend

• carolehalston
    Options

Karen, I have to get pre-op clearance from my PCP before the surgery can be scheduled. I decided on replacement as best route to maintaining the familiar.

• carolehalston
    Options

Karen, I have to get pre-op clearance from my PCP before the surgery can be scheduled. I decided on replacement as best route to maintaining the familiar.

• minustwo
    Options

Goldie - you are always in my thoughts. So glad your DD was there and your brother will be there to help you pack.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,815
    Options

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy whatever day this is! Hmm, I think it's Tuesday, so Happy Twofer Tuesday! The cruise was wonderful. I'll have pictures soon to share. I got to kiss a stingray, so I have 7 years of good luck! That I'm interpreting to mean I will live at least 7 more years. I got home late Sunday night, after an interesting start to the flight back from Ft. Lauderdale. Picked up the puppers yesterday morning, came home and cuddled and napped with them all day, today I'm going to see Mom and take her birthday present to her. I found a beautiful necklace that she will love. I may take the puppers, I don't really want to leave them home alone, but both of them are too much in Mom's place when they get rambunctious. Still deciding on that one.

It was so nice having a whole week with nothing more important to decide than what entrée for dinner, or what buffet station to visit first for lunch. The day before boarding I got a craving for a Pina Colada. The first thing I did after boarding was find a spot in the Crow's Nest (bar/lounge on the bow, high up on the top deck) and order a Pina Colada. While my friends explored the ship I relaxed, read, and drank another Pina Colada. It was heavenly! I got at least one Pina Colada a day, sometimes virgin, sometimes with rum, and became known as "Pina Colada Lady" to the wait staff! Not sure where the Pina Colada craving came from, but it was fun.

Karen--glad to hear the assignments for the rest of the school year are good ones! Be kind to yourself as your energy and stamina build back up.

Goldie--so sorry you are back in the hospital. I hope I will be reading as I go that you are fixed and back home by now.

Jazzy--the time change was on the Sunday we returned, so the ship's clocks were changed the day before, so there would be less confusion during debarkation. The warm weather was wonderful after the cold here in at home!

Goldie--the unplanned visits sounds like a bit of a surprise. I hope the bleeding is as easily fixed as anticipated.

Love the Butt of Wine!

Homemom--the drinking here varies a lot. Myself, while on the cruise, it was one or two Pina Coladas during the day (some were virgin), and a glass of wine with dinner. Here at home while I was working it was a glass of wine or a mixed drink a couple times a week, if I had the energy to fix it. Retired now, so not sure how that will work out. Probably one or two glasses of wine a day, If I feel like it. I went to 2 wine tastings while on vacay, the first one came to 1 glass of wine plus the small tulip of champagne to start with. The second was a wine and chocolate tasting, a bit more generous, about a glass and a half or two glasses altogether. Your neighborhood sounds very social, indeed!

Sunshine--good points, no judgement here in the lounge. And as to the studies, correlation does NOT EQUAL causation. When medical science can tell me exactly how and why all forms of breast cancer (and every other form of cancer) start, then they can talk to me about it being my fault for drinking or being overweight. Until then, I am not depriving myself of something I enjoy just because it MIGHT, MAYBE, have a negative effect. Other than driving under the influence, that IS my responsibility to avoid.

Homemom--there are studies that show that women with breast cancer with large and active social connections live longer and have fewer complications of bc and treatment. I'd say your social situation outweighs the alcohol effect, if we're going to go by studies that don't actually prove a cause-and-effect connection!

Carole--HAPPY (BELATED) BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

Homemom--I'm a big rose fan, myself. Love a cold one on the deck on a hot afternoon. Of course, my idea of hot is nowhere near yours!

Reader--Cosmos are good!

Minus--interesting article, thanks for sharing! I'm surprised some of the French decrease in consumption isn't being offset by increasing export demand.

Teka--LOL! Here in Maine it's an hour less of wind chill factors at or below zero!

Wren--I am jealous that you are getting spring flowers! Still have some snow here.

Goldie--that is one expensive insurance copay!!!!! I hope that stuff works miracles for that price.

Sunshine--praying for good scan results.

Teka--puppers did the wiggle dance, alright! It took forever to get Zoe's halter put on, she just could not hold still an instant! Colt pinned me down and lapped me all over!

There was an error displaying this embed.

the welcome home cocktail

Ingredients

• 1 oz. gin
    • ½ oz. lemon juice
    • 4 oz. champagne
    • 1 oz. simple syrup
    • Ice
    • 1 brandied cherry

Instructions

1. Combine the gin, lemon juice, simple syrup and ice into a shaker and shake well for ten seconds
    2. Pour champagne into old fashioned glass
    3. Add mixture to champagne
    4. Add cherry
    5. Drink!

From <>

https://wholefully.com/the-welcome-home-cocktail/#mv-creation-435-jtr

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,592
    Options

Pina colada lady, lol, glad you had a good time.

• carolehalston
    Options

Welcome home, Pina Colada Lady. So glad you enjoyed your cruise.

• karen1956
    Options

Kim - welcome home and glad you had a great time. I haven't had a Pina Colada in years - don't think I could drink a sweet drink these days. Cabernet, merlot or petite shiraz (or a blend) or single malt scotch. Lately, I haven't been in the mood for drinks. The picture on FB - you and your cousin could be sisters! Post pictures when you have time. I'm sure the pups are glad to have you home.

The weather forecasters have been talking snow for later this week for a few days. On the 6pm news, the weather forecaster said 9 - 18" Wednesday night through Friday morning with business and school closures. It will start as rain. I'm hoping that it will be enough snow for a Thursday closure - it will mess things up as my monthly team meeting is that day as is our book study for our growth objectives and I have an IEP meeting - all will need to be rescheduled. Next week is the last week before spring break so not much time to reschedule. I'll be disappointed if there is school on Thursday then not on Friday as then I miss a snow day! I know earlier in the year we have a "cold" day, but it might have been when I was on leave - or maybe just before.

The training went well today. I've co-facilitated this training in person at least 3 times and virtual twice but I was nervous till last night. I watch a couple videos of the training by the two authors and was like, wow! I remember this!!! Also, the co-worker I presented with, we make a good team.

Still waiting on the sleep study results. I need to call and ask how long it takes as I never asked. They should have gotten the device in the mail yesterday with the consent and other paperwork. Last night I got into bed at 10:30 and woke up 3 times before 5:00am. I wake up tired and by mid afternoon, I exhausted. Then after dinner I sit down and start to fall asleep so I asked DH if we could walk right after dinner instead of waiting half hour or so.

Going to go read or color so I'm not on the computer till bed time.

• miriandra
    Options

I'm so hoping my clients on Thursday and Friday cancel, or the spa closes. I only have one session scheduled for Thursday, but my Friday is fully booked! 😭