Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Success Stories!

Options

Comments

• Nico1012
    Nico1012 Member Posts: 1,152
    edited August 2019
    Options

Bumping for Lynette . . .

• Nico1012
    edited August 2019
    Options

Bumping for Gwen . . .

• LoveFlorida
    LoveFlorida Member Posts: 26
    edited September 2019
    Options

Thanks for inspiration!

• Nico1012
    edited September 2019
    Options

Bumping for Roberta . . .

• pink_is_my_colour
    pink_is_my_colour Member Posts: 265
    edited September 2019
    Options

Thank you to everyone who has posted and for those who have bumped the thread. So far it's been 2 1/2 years for me.

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited September 2019
    Options

Well, I was diagnosed in 2000. 19 years ago now. You can read all my experiences on the bottom. For me, the light at the tunnel took some time but I learned a lot along the way. Made some wonderful friends and found support in sometimes unexpected places. I have learned to be my own medical advocate and how to help others too. I have learned how to investigate medical issues that are valid inputs. My radar for good medical personnel has been tweeted and if we aren't on the same page, change them. I have figured out how much risk that I am going to accept and how to explain it to my medical practitioners. I have learned how to challenge myself to get the most out of my life without overdoing it.

So, I consider myself to be a survivor!

• Live_love_laugh
    Live_love_laugh Member Posts: 5
    edited September 2019
    Options

Hi Ladies new to the group and have so many questions, you all seem to be so knowledgable..I have recently been diagnosed with Stage 1 ILC..waiting on oncotype results to decide on chemo.

Any long time survivor stories of women opting out hormone therapy/tamoxifen..chemo and still around without recurrence..basically who did just the surgeries mastectomy or lumpectomy/Rad?

• 32B
    32B Member Posts: 186
    edited September 2019
    Options

SoCalLisa, congratulations! So inspiring!

• Nico1012
    edited October 2019
    Options

Bumping for Jill . . .

• summersday
    summersday Member Posts: 28
    edited October 2019
    Options

My mother in law was put on HRT following early menopause. Years later, she was then diagnosed with breast cancer following a routine mammogram. She said she had quite a large tumour and says that 4 lymph nodes were involved. She had a mastectomy, the 4 nodes removed and was put on Tamoxifen for 5 years but no chemo or radiotherapy. That was 18 years ago! And she’s still going strong today! She’s incredibly fit for her age, swims in the sea every day and is a member of several walking groups.

She blames 17 years of HRT for the cancer. When I asked her why she was on it for so long she said that nobody had told her to come off it!

• Live_love_laugh
    Live_love_laugh Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2019
    Options

Hi Carmelle, this thread is amazing and very encouraging..I see it's been going strong for years hope to hear many more inspiring stories.

Did you ever go ahead and publish the stories?

• NWArtLady
    NWArtLady Member Posts: 239
    edited October 2019
    Options

summersday thank you for such a wonderful post! Hurray for your MIL

• pebblesv
    pebblesv Member Posts: 486
    edited November 2019
    Options

summersday what an awesome update, thank you for sharing! It’s nice to hear of someone with lymph nodes involved who did tamoxifen but no chemo is thriving and healthy 18 years later

• Nico1012
    edited November 2019
    Options

Bumping for Doris . . .

• katykaty
    katykaty Member Posts: 18
    edited November 2019
    Options

I had scans today and all clear. Only 3 years from breast cancer diagnosis but unlucky to have been diagnosed with colon cancer last year. So that makes 3 years breast and 1 year colon cancer NED. Long may this continue. Positive thoughts to all x

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited November 2019
    Options

My oncologist just told me to come back in a year...sounds like a plan to me

• hkkw17
    hkkw17 Member Posts: 12
    edited November 2019
    Options

bump

• Nico1012
    edited November 2019
    Options

Bumping for Brianna . . .

• sunshine2003
    sunshine2003 Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2019
    Options

16.5 years out from initial Stage 2B dx. Life has been good. (Ontario, Canada). Originally asked for 5 years - now I’m 64 and have attended graduations and one wedding and even ‘retired’. No grand babies yet- but hopefully that will come too.

• LoveFlorida
    LoveFlorida Member Posts: 26
    edited December 2019
    Options

sunshine

Thank you for posting. I am just out of chemo November 21st. Still have Hercaptin until September 2020. Fear of reoccurrence is ever present in my mind.I love to read encouraging stories like yours!

• 32B
    edited December 2019
    Options

wow sunshine! Thank you for checking in! What an inspiring story!

• Nico1012
    edited December 2019
    Options

Bumping for Shawn ~

• Nico1012
    edited December 2019
    Options

Bumping for Amber ~

• Nico1012
    edited January 2020
    Options

Bumping for Mitzi ~

• Nico1012
    edited January 2020
    Options

Bumping for Ebony ~

• mitziandbubba
    mitziandbubba Member Posts: 18
    edited January 2020
    Options

During radiation, I met a 30 year survivor. She said to me that she was sorry I had BC, glad my treatment was short and not too hard on me - but that she was so happy for me because my life was going to be so good after cancer. She said everything got to be so wonderful for her after BC and would for me also. I believe her. She was so positive and optimistic.

• hkkw17
    hkkw17 Member Posts: 12
    edited January 2020
    Options

Met a lady who is 26 years out , she had lumpectomy and just radiation as her treatment.

• 32B
    edited February 2020
    Options

Wow! Thanks for sharing! I needed that today.

Tomorrow will be the 2 year anniversary cancer-free. I know that's not a very long time, but I'm proud of it. :)

• Nico1012
    edited February 2020
    Options

Bumping for Ava . . .

• keepthefaith
    keepthefaith Member Posts: 856
    edited February 2020
    Options

Thanks to everyone for posting and bumping! I am 6 1/2 yrs out and still frequent the threads often. I think it helps to keep me grounded... somehow it keeps me balanced between being aware enough to make changes in my lifestyle to try and prevent a recurrence and not taking things for granted, without creating unnecessary anxiety. I find that a kind post here and there can make a difference in someone elses' day, or life, as it did for me. ((HUGS))

"And once the storm is over, you won't remember how you made it through; how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain:

When you come out of the storm, you won't be the same person who walked in...that's what this storm's all about...

Haruki Murakami