Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Dancing with the Stars

Options

Comments

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,993
    edited April 2022
    Options

We will have to retitle this thread 'Not Dancing With the Stars'. 🤪 I wonder if one could still watch the show online after the episode has aired??

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,044
    edited July 2022
    Options

The latest DWTS news is that Alfonso Riberio will be co-hosting with Tyra Banks. I think it’s a good move. They need something to draw viewers to the streaming format. Alfonso is great as host on America’s Funniest Videos, he’s funny and super sharp dresser, all combined with the fact that he not only was a contestant but won the Mirror Ball trophy. In fact, the season he was on was one of the more enjoyable ones! Maybe he and Tyra will have some good banter.

So darRn, tho. I still don’t plan to get Disney+. I will have to watch GMA for weekly updates. I wonder if the dances will be on YouTube or Facebook like they were when it aired on ABC. I will keep tabs on the show even if I don’t watch it.

• ruthbru
    edited July 2022
    Options

That's my plan too Divine. Double Darn!

• divinemrsm
    edited September 2022
    Options

I was scrolling through the Entertainment section of Google News and there it was: the line up of celebrities and their partners for the new season of DWTS! I read the list of names, and must confess that seeing who is in the show has made me consider getting a Disney+ subscription to watch it. Disney+ has a promotion of $1.99 for the first month, then $7.99 a month after that (special is good until Sept 19) . I enjoy the show so much it will be worth the price so even tho I said I wouldn’t get it, I’m gonna go ahead and bite the bullet. Really, it’s not the money at all, it is that I already subscribe to many streaming services.

I’m curious to see how Alfonso Riberio co-hosts with Tyra. Plus my girl crush Peta Murgatroid is back. And on a personal note, my son’s former girlfriend whom he’s still friends with and who I care very much about was recently diagnosed with multiple sclerosis and one of the contestants, Selma Blair, is an actress with ms so I am hoping to gain some insight through Selma about the disease.

Season 31 of DWTS beginnings September 19. Here’s the line up:

• Joseph Baena (Arnold Schwarzenegger's fitness model son) and his partner Daniella Karagach
    • Selma Blair with her partner Sasha Farber
    • Wayne Brady (host of Let's Make a Deal) with partner Witney Carson
    • Sam Champion (Good Morning America contributor and WABC-TV New York weather anchor) with partner Cheryl Burke
    • Charli D'Amelio (star of TikTok) with partner Mark Ballas
    • Heidi D'Amelio (The D'Amelio Show) with partner Artem Chigvintsev
    • Jessie James Decker (country star) with partner Alan Bersten
    • Trevor Donovan (90210 actor) with partner Emma Slater
    • Daniel Durant (CODA actor) with his partner Britt Stewart
    • Teresa Giudice (The Real Housewives of New Jersey) with partner Pasha Pashkov
    • Vinny Guadagnino (Jersey Shore) with partner Koko Iwasaki
    • Cheryl Ladd (Charlie's Angels actress) with her partner Louis van Amstel
    • Jason Lewis (Sex and the City actor) with his partner Peta Murgatroyd
    • Shangela (Drag Queen Superstar) with her partner Gleb Savchenko
    • Jordin Sparks (artist and singer) with partner Brandon Armstrong
    • Gabby Windey (The Bachelor) with her partner Val Chmerkovskiy
  • ruthbru
    edited September 2022
    Options

Aw Geez, tell me what you think when it starts. Maybe I will have to cave in and get it too.

• divinemrsm
    edited September 2022
    Options

I will keep you posted!

• divinemrsm
    edited September 2022
    Options

It was a fun night. The format is the same yet somehow the show didn't feel quite the same. One thing on Disney+ —no commercials! I had to run to the bathroom and run to get a quick snack so I didn't miss anything.

Last year's pro winner, Daniella, is paired with Arnold's son, Joseph, and tho he may not be the best dancer, I forgot what uniqueness she brings to the dance floor. Loved it.

Selma Blair danced beautifully and the judges loved her.

Jordyn Sparks, American Idol winner, was good, so was Wayne Brady. There is a deaf contestant, Trevor, who danced surprisingly well. I didn't realize one contestant was a drag queen (ds wasn't sure if they said said "dry cleaner"—hahahah!) who also did well.

Both a mom and her daughter are contestants. The daughter, Charli D'Amelio, gained (incredible) fame from TikTok. She's paired with Mark Ballas. Her dance was amazing. Mark's hair—ugh. The mom’s dance was okay.

Tyra's look was toned down and she had no costume changes. She gives uplifting comments to the contestants. Alfonso was stationed in the sky box which is back. There was a contestant eliminated tonight and they picked the right one.

• ruthbru
    edited September 2022
    Options

I wonder if I can watch it on utube. I will have to check that out.

• divinemrsm
    edited September 2022
    Options

Ah. So I learned the reason they switched DWTS on Disney+. ABC is airing NFL Football in their timeslot and it's paid off for the network: “During primetime Monday, 12.1 million total viewers watched the NFL matchup between Minnesota Vikings vs. the Philadelphia Eagles. Last season's DWTS had 5 million total viewers."

Not sold on the Disney+ show. Tyra and Alfonso are flat as co-hosts. They add no pizzazz like Tom Bergeron used to. Tyra made a bunch of cringe-worthy mistakes last night. The visuals, from stage sets to costumes, don't seem nearly as bright and lively. Len’s looking thinner. Not overly so, but still.

Pro dancer Daniella has Covid and did not dance, her sub did a good job with Arnold's son, Joseph.
    The young TikTok woman Charli has great technique but no charisma. I thought she'd be a run away winner, but I get it now. She's learned to perform in front of a camera but doesn't know how to connect to a live audience. However, Wayne Brady does, and he brought it! Best dance of the night! He wowed the crowd with Witney.

Other notables:
    Bachelorette Gabby with Val was a graceful vision to watch.
    90210 star Trevor danced a hot rhumba with Emma and some seem to think there's something going on between them. Emma is recently split with husband Sasha who's dancing with Selma Blair. The plot thickens….

Everyone improved but at this point, there's still bad dancers to suffer through. The contestant voted off was a good choice.

• ruthbru
    edited September 2022
    Options

Thanks for the update, divine. I think I will watch vicariously through your reports for now. I have so much going on right now that I haven't watched anything on the streaming services I already have for a long time!!

• divinemrsm
    edited October 2022
    Options

Last week’s show was boring, it was dances to James Bond movie music. Last night’s show was much better. Music was from Disney+ shows most of which I knew and everyone wore costumy clothes

. Contenders for the mirror ball are starting to emerge. Wayne Brady, the TikTok star Charli, and the Bachelorette whose name I forget. The poorer dancers are getting eliminated which always makes the following shows better.

I love Shangela, the drag queen. In the pre-taped practice clips, he’s not dressed up but just presents as a regular looking guy who’s down to earth and good looking with a terrific personality whose dances are always entertaining. Gleb is the professional and he said he sees Shangela not as man or woman but as an artist which is how Gleb describes himself. Gleb said he’s living his best life. When he said that I thought it was the sexiest thing, for a man to be dancing with a man and not have a single concern about needing to appear all macho or worry about his masculinity. Very hot!

• ruthbru
    edited October 2022
    Options

Good for Gleb!

• divinemrsm
    edited October 2022
    Options

It was a great show tonight. “Most Memorable Year" was the theme, so there were many emotional stories. Lots of terrific dances, too: Shangela, Joseph Baena (Arnold's son), TikTok star Charli who got the first tens of the season (3 of them), her mom Heidi, Bachelorette Gabby who was an ICU nurse during the pandemic! (She's beautiful and very likable), Daniel who's deaf (amazing performance! Btw, Ruth, did you see the fabulous movie CODA?), I even loved the dance by Jersey Shore's Vinny!

Just before the last performance of the night which was by Selma Blair and Sasha, we learned she has to withdraw from the competition due to it all being too hard on her body as she is living with ms. The two danced to “What The World Needs Now". There was not a dry eye in the place, and I was all teared up, too. Physically she's incredibly beautiful, and Derek mentioned how well loved she is by everyone on the show including behind-the-scene workers.

So, there was no elimination. A bonus show tomorrow which is a “Prom Night" theme.

• ruthbru
    edited October 2022
    Options

Darn, maybe I will have to cave and get Disney next year!

I concuer that CODA was a wonderful moviE!

• divinemrsm
    edited October 2022
    Options

Not a bad show tonight tho not as wham-pow as last night. The show hosts, Tyra and Alfonso, have no chemistry together. It's like it's all business for them.

My favorite dance of the evening was Gabby the Bachelorette, and she received the first perfect score of the season. Well deserved! I've never watched The Bachelorette, but there is something immensely likable about her. Plus she's gorgeous, tall and slender and she and Val make a striking dance couple.

A surprise elimination tonight that I don't think anyone saw coming!

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2022
    Options

The show was great this week, the theme was “The 90's". There was a double elimination, and with two couples cut, exactly the right contestants are heading to the semi-finals which is next week already!

They are: Gabi, Wayne Brady (ALL the judges love him and I just don't see it tho he's definitely good enough for the semis), Daniel the deaf contestant who's put on an amazing performance week after week, Trevor, and Shangela who's still bringin' it to the dance floor!

Vinny from Jersey Shores finally went home last night. He was a bad dancer but his fan base kept kept voting him through.

• ruthbru
    edited November 2022
    Options

Thanks for the update!

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2022
    Options

It was a terrific semi-finals show! The four going to the finals are exactly who should be there: Charli, Gabby, Wayne and Shangela. All the dances last night were good, some were exceptional!

• ruthbru
    edited November 2022
    Options

I wish a person without Disney could go back and watch old episodes (which you could do when they were on regular TV)!

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2022
    Options

I forgot to mention that Len announced on the show last night that this is his last season judging! He’s retiring and although I’m not surprised, I hate to see him go!

• ruthbru
    edited November 2022
    Options

I saw that. He has always been the anchor of the judges so he will be missed.

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2022
    Options

Great finale, great season, many great performances throughout the evening! They had all the contestants back for the show. Shangela's free style was so entertaining, Gleb even dressed in drag which was beyond fabulous! They were great to watch all season. Cheryl Burke was given a send off as this is her last season so she had a lovely dance with Louie. Len was given a wonderful tribute and as a surprise, he was given his own mirror ball trophy which left him grinning from ear to ear.

Charli and Mark's freestyle wasn't an over the top production. It showcased different dance styles and I actually didn't want it to end! Charli was like a vision to watch. Mark's choreography was phenomenal. All four judges stood and gave them a standing ovation along with the crowd, and stood the whole time they gave their remarks. Charli's gotten then best scores of any contestant ever and no surprise when she won. Well deserved!

The dances appear on YouTube within a week, so when I see Charli's freestyle there, I'll post a link. She was an exceptional contestant.

• ruthbru
    edited November 2022
    Options

I'm watching Charli & Mark being interviewed on Kelly & Ryan right now.

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2022
    Options

Here are the video clips of Charli and Mark from the last show of the season. The first dance is the jive (1:37 minutes). Then their freestyle. The classiest of all freestyles, and celebratory (2:17 minutes). Plus I had to include the video of Shangela’s freestyle-with Gleb as Natasha (2 minutes). The dances are all entertaining!!!

• ruthbru
    edited November 2022
    Options

Thank you, Divine!!!!!

• divinemrsm
    edited March 2023
    Options

Tyra is out, Julianne Hough is in! No surprise they are getting rid of Tyra. Overall, having her host was a big fail. Not sure what they were thinking.

CNN

Julianne Hough is getting even deeper into the "Dancing With the Stars" family.

It was announced Monday that she will be replacing Tyra Banks as co-host for Season 32.

Hough will co-host alongside Alfonso Ribeiro

Carrie Ann Inaba, Bruno Tonioli and Derek Hough, a former professional dancer on the show and Julianne Hough's brother, will return as judges.

The news comes after Tyra Banks announced last week that she was ready to exit her gig as co-host of the reality dance competition.

The "America's Next Top Model" creator and host told TMZ she wanted to focus on her business ventures.

"I feel it's time for me to really focus on my business and my entrepreneurship and also producing more TV but behind the scenes," Banks said. "So, you know what? I think it's time to graduate from the dance floor to the stock market floor."

• ruthbru
    edited March 2023
    Options

Interesting. I think Julianne will be a better fit than Tyra.

• divinemrsm
    edited March 2023
    Options

In more ways than one! Tyra towered over Alfonso. They were not a photogenic couple to serve as hosts. Plus Tyra’s over the top wardrobe choices competed with what the contestants and professional dancers wore. I love the suits that Alfonso wears, he’s a great dresser, but was morphed and overshadowed by Tyra. With Julianne’s background and personality, I think she and Alfonso should be a great match; at least I hope so!

• divinemrsm
    edited May 2023
    Options

Oh Ruuuth!

Yay!

https://people.com/tv/dancing-with-the-stars-returning-abc-after-one-season-disney-plus/

Also, while on this thread I wanted to acknowledge Len Goodman’s passing, which occurred during the bco platform transition. It was sad to hear altho not totally unexpected. I am glad he was able to be given some wonderful tributes during this past season of DWTS while he was still here. I will surely miss him a lot. He was a huge part of the wonderful dynamic of the show. May he rest in peace.

• ruthbru
    edited May 2023
    Options

I was very sad to learn of Len's death. He was such a delight & really the heart of the show. If a couple got a '10 From Len', they really deserved it!