Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Dancing with the Stars

Options

Comments

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,993
    edited October 2021
    Options

I did enjoy the Villians Night; costuming included. I got a long phone call right during the middle but thought Imam's dance was very fun & Suni seems to have come out of her shell.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,044
    edited October 2021
    Options

It was a night of good dancing. I loved Jimmie Allen as Captain Hook, Olivia Jade was excellent, and Iman and Daniella were spectacular. Still not sure what the judges’ fascination is with Melora, she was okay. I hope Suni has more dances like last night, the potential is there and I hope Sasha taps into it. Jojo and Jenna were great tho I agree with the comment that their hair made their otherwise well executed dance seem a little hectic. The blue hair with bangs on Jenna looked stunning.

• ruthbru
    edited October 2021
    Options

I think gymnasts have to be trained to loosen up and not be so serious.

• ruthbru
    edited October 2021
    Options

I love Grease so enjoyed tonight. Unfortunately company dropped by so I missed the first 40 minutes of the show. I started watching with Amanda's dance, which I thought was lovely. It turned out to be my favorite dance of the night. I liked every dance I saw. Suni looked like she was having a good time. Kenya did great. Jimmie, JoJo, Melanie, Cody were all fun. Since I didn't see Olivia's dance, I don't have an opinion of whether she or Melanie should have gone home......or maybe one of the others I missed should have been on the bottom of the board?

• divinemrsm
    edited October 2021
    Options

For me, Grease is okay but I get tired of it because everyone does some version of it like it's the only musical that ever was. That said, I loved the show! It was perfect how the songs were done in order from the movie, the songs were paired perfectly with the partners and the costuming and set designs were great.

There really wasn't a bad dance of the night. I think the right person was sent home. Jojo and Jenna truly were perfection and I gasped when Len stood to give his remarks to them. He never stands.

Olivia was great, Cody and Cheryl were excellent to finish the show but why are they always scored to low? I thought Mel C's “You're the One That I Want", tho technically good, was lackluster, not energetic enough. Suni was cute. Really, all the rest were good, too. And Tyra's get ups weren't over the top, either.

When I look at the views on FB this morning of each couple's dance, Jojo and Olivia have the highest number of views:

Olivia: 186k * Jojo: 146k

Some other couple's views: Suni: 84k * Iman: 34k * Cody, Mel, Amanda, Kenya and The Miz all averaging about 65k, Melora and Jimmie about 60k.

It's the two “controversial" contestants who have by far the most views, 3, 4 and 5 times more than the others. So people love to hate, and DWTS loves to give them something to be up in arms about!

Overall I think it's a great season!

• ruthbru
    edited October 2021
    Options

And next week is their Halloween show, so that will be fun for sure!

• ruthbru
    edited October 2021
    Options

I finally got to watch a whole episode uninterrupted! I thought it was a GREAT night! The two pairs that got all 10s (Jojo/Jenna & Imam/Daniella) completely earned those scores. Terrific, knock your socks off energy. I actually yelled "Wow!" out loud during Imam's dance. I also really liked Jimmie/Emma's dance. I liked all the dances actually. To me, Melora's was the least creative. I am satisfied with who was voted off.

• divinemrsm
    edited October 2021
    Options

Last night was one of the best shows I've seen on DWTS! I couldn't believe when it was over, it went so fast!

Iman and Daniella were a jaw-dropping force! An all-time best dance of the series! Daniella is absolutely gorgeous, and she sculpts her body during their dances in fascinating ways I haven't seen before. She makes their height difference a highlight instead of an obstacle. Iman is up to the challenge! I want to see these two in the finals!

Jojo and Jenna—phenomenal!

The Miz and Witney—his best dance! Love that the show began with such a great dance.

Btw, I also loved Derek's performance!

I thought Amanda Kloot was good. Jimmie was okay but they're starting to act like he's the only guy in the world who's a dad. Cody's dance didn't inspire me, or Kenya's. Olivia and Suni—meh. But I'm nit picking because overall I loved fright night! Still not big on Melora but when Tyra said, “what would you like to say to your parents sitting over there in the audience?" And Melora replied, “Just two words….thank you!", it was one of DWTS's finest moments!

• ruthbru
    edited October 2021
    Options

Yes, as a whole, the show knocked it out of the park! I forgot to mention that I really like The Miz, he is so enthusiast, fun, and a good dancer. Derek & Company's dance was awesome. When they sit behind the judges table all the time, you forget how great of dancers the judges are themselves. It's nice that we can like all of the contestants as people even if their dancing isn't always the best. I am glad they don't feel like they need a controversial contestant, who can't really dance, on the show.

• ruthbru
    edited November 2021
    Options

Another good show, although I wasn't as 'wowed' as I was last week. My notes on almost everyone say 'peppy, fun, good lines'.

I just love Imam! It's the first time that a big height difference hasn't been a negative to me. I do agree with the judges that the style of dance didn't really fit his personality. I also noticed the unnatural stiffness of The Miz's head.

For the bonus points; my picks were Olivia, Imam, Melora.

I was pretty shocked about JoJo being in the bottom two, which had to be the voting audience's doing. Maybe younger people don't watch DWS. ?

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2021
    Options

I loved the opening of the show with the judges singing Bohemian Rhapsody in their cars.

Queen is, too me, like Grease: overdone. I love their songs but they are overplayed. However, the show was entertaining. Amanda's dances look all the same to me no matter which one she's doing. I think Cody peaked awhile ago. Iman is such a big softie, and I love that he calls his mom “Mommy." Melora's acting ability helps her somewhat and Len just loves her, no surprise his bonus point went to her in the dance off which is usually an event I don't care for but liked last night's. Not sure I believe Suni was sick, I think something was up that we don't know about and they were covering for it. Her performance still lack some kind of pizazz.

Jimmie stood out to me tonight. I love how he rocks the do rag with any outfit. Olivia really is peaking at the right time. Jojo was spectacular. As to her being in the bottom two, I think it's producers creating drama and don't believe for a minute she truly scored that low.

I think 3 shows are left. Next week two contestants will be eliminated. For the finals I expect Jojo and Olivia but it's a toss up between Iman, Jimmie, Suni and Melora. DWTS is going on tour early 2022, and they have yet to announce guest stars, which will be some of the cast from this season. I bet Olivia will be one and probably Suni and maybe even Melora and Cody.

This might be my favorite season ever.

• ruthbru
    edited November 2021
    Options

Mine too.....which is a surprise to me! I think it's because all the contestants can actually dance. No artificial drama because someone is a controversial political figure or whatever. Suni is going to have to get some sparkle into her performances if she wants to go on. As for the finals? Yikes, I don't know!

• ruthbru
    edited November 2021
    Options

Lots of good dancing tonight, although I'm not particularly a Janet Jackson fan & think maybe they overdid the theme nights this season. I hope the couples can choose their own songs next week and play to their strengths.

I thought Cody & Suni both stepped it up a notch. JoJo was 'on' as always. I liked everyone else's dances, although Melora is a little overdone to me. I was surprised about Olivia, and not so surprised about Jimmie being voted off.

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2021
    Options

I agree with your observations, Ruth. I'm no JJ fan, either and they've dragged the theme stuff into the ground. (But I don't think the couples choose their own music during the season, I believe they're told what song and choice of dance style such as rhumba or salsa they'll dance to, except for the freestyle dance in the finals.) Hate the “dance offs”.

It felt like the judges were told to give Olivia lower marks because she danced as good as anyone else last night. I'd have preferred Melora, Cody or even Amanda be sent home instead. Jojo and Jenna were amazing.

Somehow I'm always rooting for Iman and Daniella. Theirs was my favorite dance of the night. Who knows, maybe they'll pull off an upset win. Clearly Jojo is the best dancer this time but social media is really verbal about how two women shouldn't be partnered and that she has previous dance experience. So guesses for who winner will be are still up in the air!

• ruthbru
    edited November 2021
    Options

I have the same soft spot for Imam, and think that Daniela has been an awesome choreographer to use his height to their advantage.

I wish Melora would have gone home too. She is technically very good, but too 'much' for me. Last night her dance was almost scary mean....although maybe that is the point of that dance.

I have to admit that the traditionalist in me still enjoys the male/female aspect of couple dances. At the risk of sounding 'unwoke', I sometimes feel like I am watching two really good dancers in a musical when I watch JoJo & Jenna, not a couple telling a mutual story through dance.

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2021
    Options

I thought more about the Jojo/Jenna pairing after reading your post and have a related opinion about it. While technically amazing and incredibly entertaining and even exciting to watch, there's that little bit of something missing. Theirs is a different dynamic than a man/woman duo. What puts a couple over the top for me is often their chemistry and/or sex appeal together. I rewatched the women's routine and then Iman and Daniella's, and for me, Iman dancing to Rhythm Nation with Daniella was SO hot! Not lovely dovey like Sharna and Brian Austin Green. It was sexy in the best possible way. To me, that's chemistry, that extra something.

One thing I love about Jojo and Jenna is that they are not holding back, they are full on going for broke with every dance.

On social media, Suni is getting tons of views. She's another one, tho, who doesn't have the right chemistry thing going, either.

• ruthbru
    edited November 2021
    Options

And, unless you are a really good actor, chemistry isn't something you can fake.

• ruthbru
    edited November 2021
    Options

My very favorite couple ever were Season 18 winners Meryl Davis & Maksim Chmerkovskiy. I just went back and watched all their dances on UTube. Talk about chemistry, they just sizzled! Not only was I impressed by them all over again, it brought into my mind what some of the more technically great dancers from this season are lacking.....the magnetic quality of the partnership.

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2021
    Options

Meryl and Maksim were fabulous. They had all the goods, great chemistry together combined with exceptional technical detail. Perfectly paired.

Even so, sometimes it's not sexual chemistry but that elusive “it" factor that propels a couple towards the mirror ball trophy. Alfonso Ruberio and Witney Carson were great together as was Derek and all the celebrities he won with. They just exuded that something special. Others were ho hum, like Donnie Osmond.

Another of my all time favorite winning couples was Helio Castronoves with Julianna Hough. I'll never forget his yellow suit and spat shoes dancing the quickstep (with a terrific ending) to “Hey,Pachuco!" Not bad for a race car driver!

• ruthbru
    edited November 2021
    Options

That was super fun!

I think that Derek is a brilliant choreographer and he was able to construct dances so that they would bring out his partner's best points. He could create that 'it' factor with almost anyone, I think!

• ruthbru
    edited November 2021
    Options

This was a lovely night! I will hate to see the season end.

*I thought that Jojo & Jenna were flawless. Whichever judge said they danced liked angels was right.

*Imam & Daniella have that 'IT' factor. Everything they do makes me go 'WOW!'

*Amanda's dance to her husband's son left me in tears. Beautiful, haunting, moving.

*I thought Suni did the best she's ever done tonight.

*If I were doing the scoring, the two I would have sent home would have been Melora & Cody. They both danced well, but I didn't think with anything particularly original.

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2021
    Options

Ruth, I could have written your post as I agree with your summation of the semi-finals!

This is maybe the first time I am happy with all the finalists left. I was surprised that Suni was sent home instead of Amanda, but am perfectly okay with it. I’d still have loved to see Olivia in place of Amanda or Cody, but am okay with that, too. (Fans wouldn’t forgive Olivia’s “Varsity Blues” scandal.)

I would be perfectly fine with Jojo winning. Her two performances last night with Jenna were mind-boggling! But I am rooting for Iman. It’ll make me unhappy if anyone else wins. I haven’t voted all season, but probably will next week. It surprised me that four couples were given a contemporary dance for their 2nd routine. There’s usually much more variety in dances. But they were sure fun to watch!

Yep, I’ll be sad to see the season end. Is it on two nights next week? Will have to check.

• ruthbru
    edited November 2021
    Options

I would be perfectly happy with either Jojo or Imam winning. What is really cool about them and their partners is that they smash the stereotype of what a winning couple should look like. Jojo & Jenna by being a female couple with similar body types, Imam & Daniella with the enormous height and body type differences. And yet, both make it work with near perfection.

• ruthbru
    edited November 2021
    Options

Oh my goodness, that was fabulous!

Here are my notes:

*Amanda-I thought Len's description that her dancing was 'beautiful and lyrical' was entirely true (although it was maybe too predicable. I respecially liked her second dance which had a fairy-like quality. I also thought that she had such a sweet relationship with Alan.

*Cody- I liked his fun, crazy first dance. I didn't like his second dance, which I just found odd.

*JoJo- both dances were fun, happy, precise, and very well done.

*Iman-his first dance was so happy and smooth, his second dance was so good that my response was to yell "Wow!" (to my dog who was the only other creature in the room) and then to quickly vote (for the first time this season).

Overall impressions:

*I'm glad Julia sat in for Derek tonight.

*I wish they would have left a little more time for us to watch the celebration at the end.

*I have gotten used to Tyra and think she does a good job.

*I thought it was a good and enjoyable season. I'm glad we could watch it 'together' Divine. It makes it a lot more fun to bounce one's thoughts and impressions off another person! Smile

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2021
    Options

YAY!!!!! GREAT SEASON!!!!!

Fabulous finals and freestyles!!!

I have a lot to say! First, I sure wish Derrick coulda been there. I wasn’t too big a fan of Julianne. I liked seeing all the contestants again, I’d forgotten about most of them, haha! (Altho I did not see Suni, so what’s up with that?) And yes, they shoulda let us see more of the the mirror ball celebration. I’m watching the finalists this morning on GMA, tho, to make up for it.

Also this morning I rewatched all four freestyles. I was blown away by Amanda’s freestyle! It was absolutely magical. It was enchanting, celebratory…..and brought tears to my eyes. Totally agree, Alan is such a super sweet guy! One of my all time favorite dances. Beautiful song by Coldplay, Sky Full of Stars.

I totally and completely loved Cody’s freestyle! I was laughing at the wonderful outrageousness of it. I looked up the song he danced to, it’s called “Nail, Hair, Hips, Heels” by Todrick Hall and has become something of a gay anthem (original lyrics are a bit tawdry, haha!) with a choreographed video of men in high heels, pretty fun to watch. I love that Cheryl surprised us with the unexpectedness of this dance. I like seeing such original freestyle.

Not surprisingly, Jojo and Jenna were balls of fire! But I will say, because so many of their dances were incredible, their freestyle was just another great dance. They didn’t save anything to wow us with further, to take them over the top of what they already showed us. Still, their pairing was simply amazing to watch all season. Jenna is an incredible, exceptional professional.

Iman and Daniella! Again, I liked the unusualness of their pairing, tall, dark Iman with petite blonde Daniella. Their freestyle was spectacular and so hot! Wonderful performance and I’m very happy they take home the mirror ball trophy!

This was one of my very favorite seasons. I’ve rewatched the dance videos more this season than ever before. Btw, yes, Tyra has grown on me, too. Great “watching” with you, too, Ruth!

• ruthbru
    edited November 2021
    Options

I watched GMA too this morning just to see the after-party.

I thought I saw Suni watching from one of the tables. ?

Very, very fun. We'll see what spring will bring!

• divinemrsm
    edited April 2022
    Options

END OF AN ERA

Well, maybe not quite that dramatic, but close enough for those of us who love DWTS. This morning I read that the show is leaving ABC and going to the streaming service, Disney+.

As of now, I don't plan to subscribe to the service. I don't have a household with kids, which I think a of of their content is gear towards. Plus I already subscribe to numerous other streaming services including Netflix, HBO Maxx, Hulu, Apple+ and a few more! I just don't see paying for Disney+ in order to watch one show. So this will probably be the end of the line for me and one of my very favorite shows. It makes me sad, yet I knew DWTS was in a slide. I hadn't considered that they might move to streaming but I guess it makes sense in today's TV world. I'll keep tabs on how well it does at Disney+, which should be interesting. Will viewership increase or plummet? Will they add even greater risqué and/or controversial content? Or will it become more kid-friendly? It is, after all, Disney. Time will tell.

'Dancing with the Stars' is leaving ABC for a streaming service

New York (CNN Business) — "Dancing with the Stars" is headed to streaming.

Disney (DIS) announced Friday that the series, in which celebrities compete to be named the best ballroom dancer, will exclusively air on Disney+ in the US and Canada starting in the fall. It's the first live series to debut on the streaming service, and it will no longer appear on ABC.

Kareem Daniel, chairman of Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution, cited "the show's broad appeal, as well as the overwhelming popularity of its Disney-themed competition nights," saying the move will help Disney+ "expand our demographic reach."

"Dancing with the Stars" premiered in 2005 on Disney-owned network ABC, and since then it's garnered a loyal following and solid viewership for 30 seasons. In its announcement, Disney noted the show's most recent fall season's viewership put it in the top five most-watched unscripted series for adults age 18 to 49.

Given the success of "Dancing," Disney's choice to move the series exclusively to streaming and away from network TV might seem surprising. But Disney is pouring tons of resources into Disney+, the company's crown jewel and the most important entity in its media empire. Adding hit shows to its content library is another bid to add to Disney's 130 million subscribers, even if it comes at a cost to ABC.

Boosting subscriber numbers is vital to Disney as it continues to compete with the likes of Netflix (NFLX) in the streaming marketplace. The move also shows the company's desire to expand the Disney+ content range, which since its November 2019 launch had been focused on creating original content for its family-friendly brands like Disney Animation, Marvel, Pixar and Star Wars.

Lately, though, that's been changing. Disney+ is carefully but steadily broadening its library. For example, several gritty and mature Marvel series that originally streamed on Netflix, like "Daredevil" and "Luke Cage," debuted on DIsney+ last month. As a result the company prompted all Disney+ users in the United States to update their parental controls.

• ruthbru
    edited April 2022
    Options

I just saw this too, and am SO disappointed. I am not going to subscribe to a channel for just one show either! Dang.......The Beatles documentary Get Back, which I really wanted to watch, was on Disney Plus too. Luckily a friend with grandkids let me watch it at her house, but I don't think she'd want me to come over every single week!

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308
    edited April 2022
    Options

Well that's it for me too then, as I will not subscribe to Disney+ to watch one show. I enjoyed watching but I have enough to watch on Netflix & Prime and the few network shows that I still get. I didn't really like Tyra Banks anyway.

• ruthbru
    edited April 2022
    Options

We will have to retitle this thread 'Not Dancing With the Stars'. 🤪 I won't if one could still watch the show online after the episode has aired??