Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Dancing with the Stars

Options

Comments

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,993
    Options

On the brighter note, I am THRILLED that DWS is back on ABC!

• ruthbru
    Options

Is It time to resurrect this thread? The new season starts the 26th!

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,046
    Options

I did see the line up today and I know very few contestants. I think the big “get” was Jaimee Lynn Spears.
    Love that Julianne Hough will cohost in Tyra’s place. She and Alfonso seem much better suited.

Also, Derrick got married a few weeks ago. Beautiful wedding in the midst of a redwood forest.
    I look forward to the new season!!!!

• ruthbru
    Options

I am very out of it when it comes to popular culture, but do love the dancing!

• ruthbru
    edited September 2023
    Options

Besides Jamie Spears, the only other celebrity I've heard of is Barry Williams (aka Greg Brady of The Brady Bunch……whom I had a crush on when I was a girl 😄).

*edited to say I also know Adrian Peterson who played football for the Minnesota Vikings

• divinemrsm
    Options

I will definitely miss Len. I’m glad Tyra is gone. Even tho we don’t know many in the line up, I guess we will get to know them over the season! When does it start? Next week?

• ruthbru
    Options

The 26th

• divinemrsm
    Options

Thanks!

• ruthbru
    Options

I was only able to catch a few minutes. I will have to catch up after the big wedding!

• divinemrsm
    Options

I only watched the first hour since I wanted to watch AGT finale at 9. I wasn’t overly impressed with the dancers but that’s usually the case at the beginning. I’m happy with Alfonso and Julianne cohosting. Tyra was way out of place there.

• ruthbru
    Options

Other than the first dance (which I will always miss because I have a class), I watched the whole program. I always enjoy Latin Music night. The three dancers who impressed me were Xochitl, Charity, and Jason. Everyone else was so-so, IMO.

• ruthbru
    Options

• divinemrsm
    Options

Agree with your assessment, Ruth! I am so happy Jason has Daniella as his pro because she really brings out the very best in her partner and is incredibly creative with dance routines, in the way Derick always was. She will entertain us. Jason appears to have the moves! Xochitl is adorable and a definite contender! I’m surprised how many bad dancers there are, lol! My least favorites are the boo-hoo ones who lack confidence, “oh I can’t do this, blah blah blah.” Suck it up, buttercup! Lol

Julianne is an improvement over Tyra but not much. Her smile is just plastered on her face and she's way too perky. There’s a personal connection she lacks in talking to the contestants.

It was a shocking elimination, tho! I expected said contestant to be there for a bit longer simply due to popularity, not dance moves.

• ruthbru
    Options

I'd be really interested to know how the pairings come about. A great pro can make a so-so dancer shine, With a mediocre pro, even someone with promise is in trouble. I think as a very graceful football player (on the field), Adrian Peterson should be doing better.

• ruthbru
    Options

I really like Alfonso as a host. Julianne, not so much. What a creepy hairdo this week, like a little girl & as you said, Divine, there doesn't seem to be a connection with the dancers. I never thought I would miss Erin, but I do!

I thought Michael Strahan did a good job as a judge tonight.

As far as contestants go: Jason was very good & fun to watch. Charity had very nice lines & good footwork, as did Ariana. Xochitl was so cute & expressive. I thought everyone else was so-so, but certainly don't think that the worst dancer out there got eliminated!

• divinemrsm
    Options

I was unable to watch the show last night due to circumstances beyond my control! Not sure when I’ll be able to catch some of the dances, they aren’t up on the DWTS Facebook page yet. So I thank you for your review of the evening, Ruth! I saw online who was eliminated and read some FB comments that agreed with you how the worst dancer wasn’t let go.

• ruthbru
    Options

I enjoyed the Disney Dances. I could just repeat last week's post. Jason, Ariana, Charity were all very good. Xochitl would get the top scores from me. Again, I don't think the worst person was voted off….but it was someone who would have been gone eventually.

• divinemrsm
    Options

I was able to watch the first hour and a half, with Xochitl‘s performance the last one I saw. For me, I’m not a fan of the Disney theme. The contestants are too old to pull off the Disney magic and too many of the costumes looked ridiculous to me, like the Mickey wizard hat on the rich guy. Plus it’s all self serving with Disney owned by ABC or vice versa. It’s too cheesy for me. DWTS has some theme nights that absolutely make my jaw drop they are so incredible, but last night’s wasn’t one of them.

I liked Jason and Xochitl. Harry and Rylee, and Lele Pons and Arnold had nice dances. The rest was meh. The opening group dance number was fun, and I thought Carrie Anne looked fabulous.

I’m home from the hospital, exhausted but on the mend!

• ruthbru
    Options

Glad you are home!!!

Most of the dancers are underwhelming so far, for sure!

• ruthbru
    Options

Divine, hope you are on the mend!

I enjoyed tonight's program. I especially like contemporary dances, so was glad there was a couple of them. I thought the tribute to Len was very well done & beautiful. I think he would have liked it. It's probably still a couple weeks before all the non-contenders are weeded out.

• divinemrsm
    Options

Ruth, I’m on the mend but as often happens during one life disruption, there are a number of other things going on that need dealt with, so I’ve been busy! One snaggle was my two year old iPad stopped charging last week. Incredibly frustrating to have it happen now! After exhausting all possible ways to get it fixed, including hobbling into the Apple store today after my follow up dr appt, I bit the bullet and bought a new one. Happy that much is resolved!

I watcbed all of last night’s show and found the dances much improved. Even Brady Bunch Greg. I like contemporary dance but I thought they had too any of them. I was impressed with Charity’s dance. Xochitl‘s dance was good but I didn’t think it was deserving of a ten. Another good dance from Jason. I like the most memorable year theme; we get to know the contestants better. I loved the tribute to Len, timeless and classy like he was, and I do miss him.

I feel like Alfonso is almost part of the backdrop and doesn’t seem to have much of a co-host presence. Kinda like the show is carrying itself if that makes sense. He just seems to be lacking some of his characteristic charisma. I didn’t care for Julianne’s white gown with the weird little collar.

Of the three remain couples at the end, I would have been content with any of them being eliminated.

• ruthbru
    Options

Glad you are on the mend & have a new iPad. When electronic devices go bad, I think it is just easier to throw in the towel and get a new one!

• ruthbru
    Options

I watched the show but can't really compare dancers because most of the time I was running up & down the stairs of my split-level house answering the door for trick-or-treaters. (I love Halloween, so consider that a fun evening!). I liked the costuming & thought the dances looked good. It seems everyone has improved with their lines & their footwork. I liked the Dancethon because only the judges got to pick how long each couple stayed in.

• divinemrsm
    edited November 2023
    Options

Lots of little comments. None of the dances wowed me. I liked that Alfonso played it straight and wore a sublime black suit while everyone else wore a costume—perfection. I thought Niecy Nash was a wonderful judge. When they finally started naming couples who were going on to next week, I correctly called out three different couples right before their names were called; then with the last three left, before Alfonso named them, I called out the couple who I figured would be eliminated and again I was right. My husband joked, “I don’t even know why you watch the show!” But I was good with the ones who went home.

Next week sounds promising with Paula Abdul as judge and an iconic music video theme, and the following week is a Whitney Houston theme (I always say we never appreciated the gift that Whitney was as much as we should have).

• ruthbru
    Options

I have to go to a meeting tonight, so will miss this week's dances, so you will have to be the judge, Divine!

Did you see the Whitney Houston movie? I thought it was very good; and sad, of course. Another musical genius who basically self-destructed.

• divinemrsm
    Options

Great show! I’m not a Britney Spears fan nor do I like the song “Slave 4 U” (or the video) yet this was what Ariana Madix did and for some reason I actually got goosebumps watching it! Alyson Hannigan did a terrific dance to Christina Aguilerra’s “Candyman” and I said, “Her best dance!” just before Dereck said it. The team dance with Harry and Rylee, Lele and Brandon, Xochitl and Val and Charity and Artem was fantastic! They danced to “Gangnam Style” and very surprisingly knocked it out of the park! All the judges agreed!

I didn’t agree with the elimination. There were several others who should have gone home instead. That’s how it goes, tho.

Btw, I didn’t see the Whitney movie, but have seen a couple documentaries on her life and career (one was actually about Clive Davis that covered how made her a star). I agree, her talent was beyond compare but her many personal struggles took her from us prematurely. Not sure why that happens to so many stellar artists.

• ruthbru
    Options

Geez, after that review I will now I will have to try to find this episode online!!!

• divinemrsm
    Options

Here’s a Youtube link to a clip of the team dance to Gangnum Style

• ruthbru
    edited November 2023
    Options

I just came back to say that I did track down the episode; and that I especially loved “Gangnam Style”! I will re-watch it from your post, Divine, as it was so very fun!

The 'popularity contest' part of the show has always driven me half-crazy. I don't think the one voted off would have one the whole thing….but still, she surely was not the worst dancer out there last night!

*I remember when Sarah Palin's daughter, who was not a good dancer, kept winning & some guy in Wisconsin was so upset that he shot his TV!!

• ruthbru
    Options

I actually got to watch the whole show for a change. I agree with the elimination.

My thoughts:

*For both Barry & Harry, their partners did most of the work.

*Jason, a little frantic. I also didn't like him singing along to the song.

*Charity seems a little gangly. She did very well in the dance off though & her outfit suited her better than some of the others she's worn.

*Xochtil deserved her 10s!

*Alyson & Ariana-very good. Alyson's was especially lovely.