Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone on just Taxotere and Cytoxan?

Options

Comments

• KathyL
    KathyL Member Posts: 109
    edited February 2008
    Options

Wendy:  I saw Robin R.  She looked great!  Sorry to hear about your nausea this time around.  Strange that it came on so late... could you have a virus, esp. this time of year?

Sunshine:  I do the same steroid regimen as you.  I seem to have the most trouble sleeping the first night only, the other two nights I'm fine.  Ear thermometers are notoriously inaccurate b/c you have to get the angle right (I'm a nurse, so I've tested lots) in the ear canal.  I personally like oral digital (but the batteries can die, so if it starts giving weird readings, it's probably that) and the newer temporal scanners-- very accurate and quick.

• guitarGrl
    guitarGrl Member Posts: 150
    edited February 2008
    Options

I started my first treatment today too. No problem with the Cytoxan, but when the taxotere was connected, I got this incredible burning pain in my hip and lower back. The nurse said that was a known reaction. She stopped the taxotere, started a new IV of benedryl & steroids. After that, I went through the taxotere without problem.

The benedryl and the steroids are now fighting it out in my body to see if they get to put me to sleep or keep me awake like last night. I'm rooting for the benedryl!

My doctor didn't say anything at all about Neulasta - does everybody get it? Are there some people who can skip that step?

susan

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,615
    edited February 2008
    Options

Sleep continues to be an issue for me.  At first I think it was from the steroids, then from the muscle/body pain and now, who knows?  I either wake up every hour, try to get comfortable and finally drift off again and then do it again the next hour, and on and on it goes.

Last night I decided to try taking an Ativan rather than my usual Tylonal PM and I SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT!  It was so great - I'm going to try it again tonight, but don't know if I should make a habit of it. 

No BM for two days - I took Miralax last night and again tonight but so far, nothing.  Maybe I'll throw in a Senokat for good measure.  Oh the joys...

Thanks for the thermometer input, Wendy.  I'll give the nurse a call and see what she thinks.

Sunshine

• 40somethingMom
    40somethingMom Member Posts: 73
    edited February 2008
    Options

I am having trouble sleeping as well, also thought steroids but here it is has been a week since the steroids?? I also switched from my tylenol pm to ativan,better but it still takes hours to get to sleep, but also worried should I do that every night, here it is 1:00am and I'm wide awake, I plan to ask my onc this week.  I'm day 12 from 1st tx and wondering when my hair will fall out.

• WellWater
    WellWater Member Posts: 4,524
    edited February 2008
    Options

Good Morning All:

Guitar:  I don't think you want to skip the Neulasta shot - it is what keeps your wbc's from falling dangerously low.  Some people have a reaction and some don't....you'll have to try one and see. 

40Something:  My first tx was Jan 7th.....I am one week away from my 3rd tx and just yesterday my pubic hair started to come out.  I shaved my head on day 16 because it was itching and feeling tight but I still have growth on my head and probably could have waited but I wanted to take control and not be looking at my pillow every morning for "fall out".  I still have body hair and my eyebrows and lashes are still here but I suspect that by next week things will change.

This morning I am feeling a huge zit just under the skin in my smile line - great....just what I need.  Anyone else "breaking out"?

Sleep is so very important to me so I have no problems taking something to help me.  I'm not worried about becoming addicted to OTC products or even prescribed sleep aids.....  As is the case so often with the different protocols by different oncologists, I get no oral steriods to take before or after my tx.  Mine are given to me in the IV along with the Aloxi pre chemo drip - and they don't seem to affect my sleep the night of tx.  The trouble I have is the next few nights and that is post-Neulasta shot so I'm not sure what is making sleep difficult.

Have a wonderful weekend.....((hugs)))

• chj127
    chj127 Member Posts: 146
    edited February 2008
    Options

Hi all my TC friends,

I'm hoping I've turned a corner with the stomach bug thing.  I was still popping Imodium late last evening, but maybe the runs have finally stopped.  This has been worse than the worst day I every had with chemo - 2-1/2 days of just yuck!  And my butt hurts... Now I'm just trying to feel well enough to get back to chemo on Monday.  I've been pretty religious about pumping in the fluids, but haven't eaten a whole lot in the past 2 days.  Hopefully I can get more food in me today to get my strength back.  Is it possible for me to have more than a few days of feeling good in a row???  I told the ladies on the other thread:  stay away from sick people!!  Of course, I didn't notice anyone sick when I got this.

Guitargirl - just a quick note: I didn't get Neulasta the first round, as the doc wanted to see how my wbc's would do.  They did lousy, and so I'm getting Neulasta after my next tx.  You might do OK, though.  Neulasta isn't a given - it seems they use it as needed.

Stay well, everyone!

CHJ 

• Harsch
    Harsch Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2008
    Options

I can relate to the thermometer thing! I was using three different types of thermoters and kept getting different readings and I didn't want to go to Dr., but decided to go when one of the thermometers read 100+ , but good thing I did because it was over 100 and I had to be admitted to the hospital with IV Antibotics for three days and they didn't know where the infection was coming from , I don't mean to scare anyone, but there is a reason we have to watch that 100+ temperature.  Better now - on wards and upwards.

guggerty:  Thank you for your encouraging words - it really does help, and I wish my onc would have told me Taxotere was a kinder chemo, so will take that leap of faith next Friday.

wrsmith2X:  My friend finished chemo last October 07 and she says she now looks like she has a bad hair cut, so she does have hair.  I think we are all probably all different.

I am so proud of Robin Roberts for walking down that runway -COURAGE is something I believe we all share.

• KathyL
    edited February 2008
    Options

Hi ladies:  So sorry to hear that many of you are having trouble sleeping.  Mine seems to be touch and go-- some nights are good, some aren't.  Last night sucked b/c the bone aches started.  I woke at 2AM, ate a little and took some Motrin-- thankfully fell back asleep.  But the bone aches are so bad today-- worse than round 1.  I think it might be that I got the Neulasta shot this time.  Oh well, I'll take it if it means no hospital this time.  Sunshine:  You can safely take 1-2 capfuls of miralax if one doesn't do the trick.  Try taking a little more maybe...  40something: My hair started coming out about day 16.  By day 19 I shaved it and now I just have stubble that comes out here and there.  The pubes are almost gone, and the leg and armpit hair is really slowed down-- I shaved once 2 weeks ago.  I just did my 2nd tx Wednesday, so maybe more hair will come out now.  I still have brows and lashes and hope to keep them.  My onc says they often don't come out unless you do 6-8 tx of chemo (I'm doing 4).

• wrsmith2x
    wrsmith2x Member Posts: 127
    edited February 2008
    Options

Nausea again this morning!  I can't be pregnant (I've been fixed) and other than my tummy feeling bad - running to the bathroom - I feel good.  Maybe I have a stomach virus like CHJ?  I don't feel bad though just sick on my stomach and the runs......who knows?

Anyway, I hate to hear that you guys have so much trouble sleeping.  I have to say that, other than the nights after my Neupogen shots when my bones ache, I sleep very well.  This is my nightly ritual though - maybe it will help some of you guys.  Every night, I spray some lavender on my pillow (go to Health Food Store and buy lavender oil and some enzyme spray and mix them), I take 2 calcium tabs (calcium is a natural sleep enhancer) and I take 1 or 2 GABA (amino acid that ia a natural mood relaxer) and I sleep so good!!!  Just a thought.

Eyebrows and eyelashes are hanging on as is the hair on my legs and my pubes.  So weird. 

Anyway, hope all are well.  Great weekend to all!

Wendy

• guitarGrl
    edited February 2008
    Options

Sleep for me was easy last night (actually last evening - I went to bed at 8) except for getting up who knows how many times to get rid of all the water I drank yesterday. Also took some anti-nausea pills as a deterrent.

Today I'm feeling jumpy from the steroids & probably because I shouldn't have had my usual ice tea for breakfast. Note to self: no ice tea when on those pills.

Found a great thing - the dental hygienist recommended sugarless hard candy to keep my mouth moist. Didn't find anything in the stores that looked palatable, so I started looking on-line. Found this place called stained glass candy that sells hand-poured candy in 100 candy bags. I'm real sensitive to pretend flavors - especially sugar substitutes - but this stuff tastes good. They also let you choose what flavors you want, and each candy is in it's own wrapper so they are easy to take along.

And for those of you worried about becoming addicted to Ativan - I've taken Ativan or Ambien for years on and off on as needed basis. Take it when you need it - don't take it when you don't. Ativan - especially when you dissolve the pill under your tongue is fast acting & doesn't leave you feeling hung-over.

I'm just glad the first treatment is over & I don't have to worry about it anymore.

susan

• cc01
    cc01 Member Posts: 9
    edited February 2008
    Options

I had my first TC yesterday. I am so tired today, no nausea emend and Aloxi worked for that. I used Miralax and Senakot DS and so far it's working great. How long will I be this tired? I am up for an hour and can't wait to get back to bed.

• wrsmith2x
    edited February 2008
    Options

cco1 = we are all different so its hard to say.  I have my treatments on Fridays and its Sunday and Monday before I'm fatigued and I take Tuesday to recover.  Some people feel the fatigue the day of and some don't get much fatigue at all.  I hope that your fatigue passes quickely and you feel better very soon. 

Good luck to you!

Cheers!

Wendy

• WellWater
    edited February 2008
    Options

Good Morning:  I think I found another use for our Tea Tree Oil - I am in the process of growing a huge zit (oy) and last night I put some on it....this morning it's smaller - yea!  I know I saw something about TTO being good for nails, skin and scalp - just don't remember what I read about it.

cc01 - There is truly no definitive guide as to when you'll feel bad or better or tired or energized or anything else.  We are all so different

as far as how our bodies react.  Same thing with different protocols used by different oncologists.  My onc said I would get my Neulasta shot within 24 hours of my chemo tx, no ifs ands or buts.  Yet some people on the boards are NOT automatically scheduled for the shot but their oncs wait and test their wbc's to see if it is needed.  I don't like the shot but after 2 rounds and no issues with low wbc's or infections I am comfortable with this regiment.  I also do NOT get steriod pills to take before or after tx, only get it in the IV drip. 

I did find the correct spelling of the chemicals in plastic that are garnering a lot of attention lately....bisphenol A and phthalates.  The latest article I read in Conscious Choice talks about studies being done in Sweden regarding the number of girl babies being born versus males.  And a number of reasearchers are starting to lay the blame on these chemicals which are used in plastic....and just about everything we use and consume these days contain these chemicals.  These 2 are endocrine-disrupting chemicals and they are looking and finding a connection to premature puberty, infertility and breast cancer.  This information is NOT just showing up in "green" magazines but in the mainstream media also.  I have given up drinking water in bottles, a convenience I've enjoyed for the past 10 years and am looking for ways to try to avoid as much plastic as I can and it won't be easy considering practically everything is either in or contains plastic. 

On a postive note, I spoke to a woman who went thru this 6 years ago - she is doing just great.  She told me that one night she was washing her face and rubbed her eyebrow right off - I just cracked up, how weird would that be?????

CHJ and WR....hope your stomachs are doing better. 

Have a wonderful day.....((hugs)) Trina

• tricoastal1
    tricoastal1 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2008
    Options

I finished my 4 infusions of cytox and taxotere in April 2007.  My hair really started coming out after the 2nd infusion and we shaved it off.  My oncologist is an exerciser like me.  I started a walking regimen of 20 to 30 minutes every morning 3 to 5 days a week on my treadmill.  I worked full time and most of my office did not even know I was going thru chemo!!!  Yes, I was a little buzzy from treatment, but I believe between my walking and the shot that keeps your WBC count up was the reason.  My nails became discolored (blackish).  They never came off but had a rippled look to them.  My eyebrows thinned out as did my eyelashes.  I am almost a year removed from chemo.  My hair is incredible how it came back!  I am on tamoxofin.  I notice I have charlie horse cramps in my legs more now.  I eat a couple of bananas a day now as I figure it's from treatment (lowered potassium).  Hang in there!!  You are in my prayers!

• tricoastal1
    tricoastal1 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2008
    Options

I finished 4 infusions of cytox/taxotere in 4/2007.  I received Neulastas shots the day after my infusions each time.  Wonderful. I worked full time.  I believe my doctor ordered it for me as I wanted to give continuing working a shot and wanted to conceal my BC f/employees as long as possible, and the Neulasta was pretty much a guaranty of giving the best coverage to keep me going.  I had a bit of joint pain up to about 6-8 months afterwards and mild swelling in the joints.  I also walked on my treadmill 20-30 min., 3 to 5 days a week.  I believe the exercise is what helped me fight off fatigue and of course it was great for me emotionally and physically.

Sleep deprivation seemed to be my biggest issue other than of course fear.  I did not use traditional sleep aids and used alternative methods.

• lady4law
    lady4law Member Posts: 32
    edited February 2008
    Options

Tricoastal

What have you used in the way of an alterative sleep method? I've tried sleeping pills and they didn't seem to work, or if they did, I only slept for about 4 hours and would be more more tired the next day than if I had not taken it, in fact felt like I was falling alseep all day.  

• lpacemissoula
    lpacemissoula Member Posts: 15
    edited February 2008
    Options

Hi Ladies,

I was prescribed Trazodone for sleeping. Its a mild anti-depressant that makes me sleep like a baby! Its a good option as a long term sleep aide. I think I will continue to take it even after treatment because I have always been a light sleeper and early waker. Now, I get a good solid 7 hours. yea!

Laurie

• KathyL
    edited February 2008
    Options

Guggerty:  Nice to know another use for TTO.  I've had some major zits appear recently-- not my usual skin!  Thanks for the tip.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.  I hope to come out of my chemo fog tomorrow or Tuesday-- this second round seemed to make me more tired and achy.

• guitarGrl
    edited February 2008
    Options

How can you guys tolerate the smell of the tea tree oil? All I did was put it on my toenails & the smell drove me so crazy I had to wash it off & it still left this weird taste in my mouth...

is there anything else good for nails?

• beegirl
    beegirl Member Posts: 53
    edited February 2008
    Options

Ladies,

I'm about to start the CT regimen this week or next. I have really appreciated following this conversation as I prepare for the next stage of treatment. I'm going to have steroids & anti-nausea day before/of/after. I wasn't sure about my onc's suggestion of doing the Neulasta shot the day after, but your conversation has convinced me that it would be best to go ahead and do it. I'm waiting to start until we get the results of the Oncotype DX test; there was a mix-up about sending the tissue to Genomic. Even though I had one small positive node, my insurance is paying for the test. I don't expect to not need chemo at all--just hope that I don't need more aggressive  chemo.

I'm new to this, so how do I add my diagnosis, etc.?

Bee

• guitarGrl
    edited February 2008
    Options

beegirl - go to the top of the page & click on my home. Then click on the second tab that says "my profile" Fill it in & the very last line has a check box for making the profile public.

• beegirl
    edited February 2008
    Options

Thanks, guitarGrl. I'll see if it comes up now.

• beegirl
    edited February 2008
    Options

I'll try again!

• KathyL
    edited February 2008
    Options

GuitarGRL:  I know the TTO stinks bad!  I out it on my toes in the AM and then cover them with socks.  After I put it on my fingernails, I use a mild lotion on my hands (Jergens), which seems to knock down the smell some.  You can also use a nail strengthner on your nails (I use one made by OPI).  I put this on 1-2 times a week.  Just smells like regular nail polish.

• wrsmith2x
    edited February 2008
    Options

TriCoastal - how did your hair come back?  You said it was incredible but didn't say how.  I am hoping that mine doesn't come back gray but I guess I'll just be happy when it comes back.  I look in the mirror and don't know myself any more.  Very strange.

Thanks for the info.

Thumb nails have blackish look to them but other nails seems OK.  This is my good week so I'm happy to be feeling good this week until chemo on Friday.  Got lots of movies to watch this weekend while I am couch ridden! 

Hope everyone is doing well also!

Cheers!

Wendy

• leesa
    leesa Member Posts: 57
    edited February 2008
    Options

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for the words of encouragement, I think I'm a whiner. I lost my hair in August of 06, It started growing back about 4 weesks after my last treatment.  It really does grow fast, at first you look worse than when you were bald, then you look like a rocker??? I wore my wigs more when my hair was growing in.  I really like my hair now, it's about six inches and I just cut it into a bob thing and had it highlighted,  I'll shave it when it gets close.

Hugs and happiness

Leesa 

• wrsmith2x
    edited February 2008
    Options

Wow- you got it again so close to the first time?!!  I'm so sorry.  Did your Onc find it this last time?  Did you have another lump?  Was it is the same place as last time?  This is my biggest worry - that I will go through all of this CRAP and it will come back.  If you have already written these answers please forgive me.  I'd appreciate any info that you can give.

Hugs to you!

Wendy

• WellWater
    edited February 2008
    Options

Good Evening:  Hope everyone is doing ok.

GGal:  I know the TTO stinks but once I put it on and it dries, I don't smell it unless I bring my nails close to my nose.  Either you have heigthened sense of smell or my is dulled.  I am even putting it on my check - huge zit tried to grow but it is dimishing due to TTO. 

Kathy:  I found my 2nd tx a little harder than my first one but hoping that the 3rd coming up this Friday will be easier than the 1st two - hey a gal can dream, can't she.  Hope you're better today.

I have to share this one.....a friend of mine just had some minor surgery and in checking in with her she said " ....and I ate my Fig Newtons to prevent constipation"......Huh?????  Fig Newtons?????  She said the figs have always worked for her.  I said I'd try ANYTHING and by gosh if Fig Newtons worked, wow, wouldn't that be more fun than Easy Lax!!

Off I go to stock up on those FN's.

(((hugs)))) Trina

• WellWater
    edited February 2008
    Options

Golly - sorry for the typos.......

it should read "mine" instead of "my"

and for heaven's sake, I'm NOT putting TTO on my checks - it is my CHEEK.....

• guitarGrl
    edited February 2008
    Options

ok guys - since we are all different - how do you know when your reaction is is normal vs. something you should call the doctor about? Essentially for the last 3 days I've been sleeping. Not constantly of course or I wouldn't be at the computer, but lots and lots and lots of sleep. A bit of queasiness has turned me to the compazine, so that could account for it somewhat. I'm hoping it's ending because even the cats are bored with sleeping so much.

For those of you who were nauseous - does it continue throughout or does it go away eventually? I didn't seem to have the after steroid crash since I haven't been awake enough to experience it!