Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens Learn more here: Walgreens collaboration.

Chemo in Sept 08

Comments

• wyndywy
    wyndywy Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2008
    Hi there all; Guess I should add my name to the list. I'm Wyndy. I started chemo 9/24/08. I'm scheduled for TCH every 3 wks and Herceptin every week for a year. So far I'm hanging in there. Day 3 wasn't easy. But here I am doing OK today. I think everyone is different and what works for some won't for others. All the helpful information here is simply priceless. It helps to know we're not alone.  Sure glad to meet all of you.  Cool
  • rseaw22
    rseaw22 Member Posts: 59
    edited September 2008

I'm halfway through day 5 of my first tx (TC) - I think this is supposed to be where the achiness gets a bit better...I hope so.  Last night was very rough - but managed to get some extra sleep this morning, then took a very short walk.  Still figuring out food - I don't have any mouth sores yet, but the thought of hard stuff is overwhelming.  Anyway, it helped to read all of the posts from you guys - that the rough days are followed by better moments.  Best to all of you - Ruth

• wyndywy
    edited September 2008

Hi Ruth;

I have been eating all day for some reason, maybe to make up for the past few days. It is really weird to experience all these changes. We're on an unknown adventure. Hope you have a good day.

• Genia
    Genia Member Posts: 1,055
    edited September 2008

Wyndy.....you started your chemo the same day I did.....and are on the same regimen I am on!  Funny how you notice these things....lol

Genia 

• wyndywy
    edited September 2008

Hi Genia; 

How's it going for you?

• bettysgirl
    bettysgirl Member Posts: 645
    edited September 2008

wyndy- sorry you had to join us but welcome! best of luck in your treatments 

wproch- i'm glad you are feeling a little better and i am glad you came here for support. keep coming here when you need to talk.

ellzig- good luck on your AC tomorrow.

iowa- i'm glad the second went better. My second is the 9th and i hope it goes as well as the first.

Looking over the list most of you are on different treatments than i am. I am on day 11 after my treatment on the 18th and it seems all the hair is staying put. I am not noticing shedding but if does feel finer in texture. I got a new wig in today that i like much better than the first and it will be workable. Some days i feel like the jeopardy music is in the background and you are just waiting for it to start falling...Heather and Lyn let me know what you two have experienced with FEC

• Wink
    Wink Member Posts: 476
    edited September 2008

Welcome Wyndy - sorry it has to be under these circumstances - but we're all here to support each other.  This is a good place to vent too!

Hi Ruth - I started to feel like a human again on day six - hang in there!  I haven't developed any mouth sores; my mouth just felt like the whole thing had a pizza burn and felt like cardboard for about two weeks.  Nothing smelled right either. How's the weather in Spokane? Did you get my private message?  I didn't know where to access them when I first started on this site - there is a tab at the top of the page titled Private Messages - there will be a little subscript number in parenthesis that shows the number of private messages that you have. Just click on the tab.  If you want to send someone a private message, just click on their user name on one of the threads (forgive me if I'm telling you stuff you already know) and it takes you to their profile; that is where you have the option to send someone a private message.

Genia - my husband thinks that Benedryl is a cure all - glad it worked for you.  I had some numbness and tingling after my first tx and the nurse told me to take a Benedryl when I got home and that it would go away. I had some of the Benedryl strips that disolve on your tongue; popped one of those babies and the numbness & tingling went away.  I keep the strips in my Chemo Bag just in case.  Hmmm, maybe Benedryl is a cure all :- /

Bettysgirl - now I'll be singing the Jeopardy theme song all nightTongue out; musical mind velcro.

• dblinch
    dblinch Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2008

HELLO LADYS !!!!

I to started my first chemo sept 24, tc and than hercepeton. my nurse gave me all my pre list when i went, please make sure you take someone with you, it will help you pass the time. i really didn't have any problems, now a couple days later just some dry mouth and taste changes, and tired. my scalp hurts but a got my wig and hats ready. i wish you all the luck & remenber your not alone    dblinch

• HeatherL
    HeatherL Member Posts: 14
    edited September 2008

Bettysgirl

My SE's were very much like yours.  Vomiting the first night followed by 3 days of nausea.  Headache the whole time and flushing from the epirubicin, also fatigued.  I also received the neulasta shot 24hrs after and didn't have any problems from that.  Treatment #2 tomorrow and hope it goes as well as or better that the first.  You never know from one treatment to the next. 

Good luck to everybody going tomorrow and this week. 

Heather

• Genia
    Genia Member Posts: 1,055
    edited September 2008

It's goin Wyndy.......don't think I would VOLUNTEER for these treatments lol.....but other than the diarrhea and just being tired........I'm doin ok.

I think the Neulasta shot was worse than the treatment itself.........or at least that's when I started to feel bad......the day after I got it! 

• wyndywy
    edited September 2008

Hello;

I took the Neulasta shot too. And since I've never done this before I couldn't really tell ya if I was reacting to the chemo, the herceptin, the anti nausea meds or really what.

But thankfully this is a pretty good day, I have a lot to be grateful for.  Thanks for the warm welcome and great sharing ladies.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited September 2008

Ladies,

I had my first Taxol today (x4, every two weeks) and I'll tell you, so far, it is like NOTHING compared to the AC (x4, every two weeks) - Knock on wood and send a prayer of Thanks up!  Cool

I have my last Neulast shot tomorrow, as I had some low white counts on AC #3 and #4 with the AC, and they want to just make sure. THAT SHOT WORKS! My whites always bounce back up to normal, amazing. (though pricey!)

Springtime

• Sue508
    Sue508 Member Posts: 81
    edited September 2008

Hi ladies,

Welcome to the new gals! Chris, my scalp has felt weird all day, and I've begun losing some hair, just not on my head if you know what I'm sayin'! I don't feel like I'm very prepared. I had decided that I'm not a wig girl, but I've only bought 3 hats (already have some baseball caps), but no scarves. Eek! Is your 2 tx next Monday (Oct 9)?

Donna, good luck this Thursday. Who else is having a treatment this week? Good luck to you girls as well :)

Have a good evening, everyone!

Susan

• 2z54
    2z54 Member Posts: 29
    edited September 2008

Hi Springtime!

I get #3 AC chemo on Wednesday and I'm anxious to start Taxol after tx#4.  Please keep us/me posted how you're doing on the Taxol.  I'm starting to get pretty tired, and especially tired of AC.  The weather's been real rainy around NJ, and my 54 year old body feels like an 80 year old (I think).  I know I had arthritis before but it was always bearable, no big deal. Last night I took a Percocet left over from my SNB just to get to sleep.  So... I'm hoping Taxol's a bit better! Glad you found day 1 of Taxol OK, too.

Thanks!

Sue

• SingaporeChris
    SingaporeChris Member Posts: 460
    edited September 2008

Hi Girls,

Welcome to our new friends, I am off for AC+F #2 in half an hour and from past experience with TC, it should be easier than before. I have been told that our treatments do not get worse, as our bodies adjust, for me they got better every time.  Hope it's the same for you all.

My hair is annoying me now with little bits coming out all over the place, I need to find my little cap to wear to bed.

Check in later, good luck to all who have treatment this week.

Singapore Chris

• priane
    priane Member Posts: 13
    edited September 2008

Hi ladies and welcome to all of our gals!!! Well I had round 2 of my TAC today. It didn't take as long as the first time bit I tell ya.. My SE's are worse this time. But remember, everyone is different. I feel nauseated and I have a horrific headache right now. I am dreading the Neulasta shot tomorrow. I hope it doesnt kick my ass like the last time. I am not adjusting to the "bald" look at all. I look like a boy in baseball caps.. I just can't rock the "scarf" look.. I believe it's a mental thing for me.. It just all seems all too real for me now.. Ya know what I mean? Well take care everyone! Good luck to all and God bless!

• tammyintexas
    tammyintexas Member Posts: 9
    edited September 2008

Just wanted to update,  i got my first chemo treatment today,  a/c.  i have a horrible headache and then about an hour ago started getting very very sick.  i thought i had 2 days before getting sick so I am pretty down.  i go tomorrow for my shot.  any ideas or tips to make this easier is appreciated.  my email is tammymenges@aol.com   dont get me wrong, i am a strong person, i just thought i would a few days before getting ill.

thanks,

Tammy

• tammyintexas
    tammyintexas Member Posts: 9
    edited September 2008

wink

i just wanted to let you know that i  am getting a/c for 4 treatments followed by taxol.  every two weeks for the next 4 months.

• hopefullady
    hopefullady Member Posts: 102
    edited September 2008

Sue, yes I know exactly what you mean!  Also, when I washed my hair today there were just a few on the drain, and then a few more when I combed through it, and if I run my fingers thru it now I get just a few strands.  I guess it is starting after all.  I think when it gets a bit worse I'm going in to have it buzzed, because the cats shed enough around here!  The anticipation of it all going is driving me a bit crazy.  

Next (2nd) treatment is next Monday.  I'm hoping it won't be too bad now that I have an idea what to expect.  

Chris 

• hopefullady
    hopefullady Member Posts: 102
    edited September 2008

Tammy,  didn't they give you prescriptions for anti nausea meds?  What have you taken so far?  I'm sorry that you are so sick.  Be sure to mention it when you go for your shot tomorrow, because they may very well be able to give you something to help.  Hang in there.

Chris 

• Jane_M
    Jane_M Member Posts: 932
    edited September 2008

Hi all!

Tammy - you've got me scared.  I had my 1st a/c at 11 this morning.  I worked for 2 hours before chemo and then had dh take me back to work after chemo for about 4 hours.  (I work 2 jobs and Mondays are paydays for the second job, so I have cut that back to only Mondays)

My head is very fuzzy and I have a headache.  No nausea but burpy.  I have to go back on Wednesday for IV fluids and some other anti-nausea thing in my IV and a Neulesta shot (yipee).  I told my onc nurse about the Claritin and she never heard of it.  I'm going to try it anyway. 

I used the popsicles for the adriamycin - hopefully they'll work.  

I can't wait for the pit hair to fall out!  I haven't shaved my left pit in 3 weeks and I can't use deodorant on that side because my incision has not completely healed.  After it heals, my BS told me she wants me to use Nair or something like that instead of a razor.  I feel quite skanky.

WE CAN AND WE WILL DO THIS!!!!

• Sue508
    Sue508 Member Posts: 81
    edited September 2008

oops - first time I'm claiming chemobrain on this board - next Monday is the 6th, not the 9th. Chris, LOL about the kitty hair - I have cats too, so I know what you mean.  I plan on getting my hair buzzed too, as soon as it is coming out enough to be a nuisance.  I understand the anticipation too.  I was just sure it would start falling out Sunday during church LOL.  That would not have been a pretty sight. 

((((((((priane)))))))) I'm sorry you are having a hard time with the SE's and with the baldness.  I'm afraid I'm going to look like my brother when I am bald.  I hope you can find something that works for you soon.  Have you tried hats other than baseball caps?  Have you been to a Look Good Feel Better class?  Maybe they could give you some pointers.  Hang in there!

(((((((((Tammy))))))))  I am sorry you are feeling so bad already.  Be sure to take your nausea meds (a fellow BC friend told me to take them as prescribed whether or not I was nauseated).  You might call your on call doc. tonite and see what they can do.  If not tonite, be sure to call tomorrow.  There should be something out there that can alleviate the nausea.

((((((((((Jane))))))))) Hope you are feeling better soon too! 

hugs to all,

Susan

• Wink
    Wink Member Posts: 476
    edited September 2008

Texas Tammy - I'm sorry that you are having such a rough first day - maybe you'll be feeling better by day 3 & 4.  Ask your onc for some anti-nausea meds; I took Emend the day of and the following 2 days - felt quite queezy, but never threw up.    Have you tried ginger ale?  Even if putting something in your mouth is disgusting to you, try to drink something (ginger ale worked for me) and nibble on some saltines or toast.  Lipton noodle soup was something else that I could tolerate. Hope you are feeling better tomorrow.

• bar62
    bar62 Member Posts: 221
    edited September 2008

Evening everyone,:)

back soon,

bar

• bettysgirl
    bettysgirl Member Posts: 645
    edited September 2008

good luck heather with #2 tx. i hope the first 24 hrs will be better this time around.

texas tammy, please make sure your onco gives you enough meds. I had iv prior to treatment and was sent home with 2 others. They told me to take them faithfully before i got too sick and i managed okay. Call them if you need more. you have to find out what works for you.

Good luck to everyone else that goes this week for treatment and hugs to all that are batteling SE's this week

• SingaporeChris
    edited September 2008

Hi Girls,

Priane, Sorry you are having a hard time, especially adjusting to the bald look, it is said to be the most difficult thing to come to terms with. I have done pretty well, but have my bad days too, it took some months before I would go bald even at home. I always wore some kind of cap or bandana, for the family as well as myself, but as time goes on eveyone got used to my new look and I don't flinch when I lookin the mirror now. When I go out I always feel like I have forgotten something as it could be either my hat or my hair! You will adjust, it just takes time.

Can't think you was asking about the false eyebrows, Tanzie was it you. I bought some from headcovers, but when I tried them they looked terrible, like caterpillars crawling across my forehead, a difinate not. They look great, but not on my face. A friend also bought some dark ones and didn't get on with them.  If anyone wants them, please send me a private message and I will post them to you. I have a blond set and a dark brown set. Neither have actually been used, only held up to the face.Wink

Had AC+F no 2 this morning, feeling a little tired but that is all. Good luck to everyone.

Singapore Chris

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited September 2008

Hi 2Z54, aka Sue!

Taxol #1, day #2 - still NOTHING. NO NAUSEA. This, so far, is SO MUCH BETTER than AC.

I got really "hit" with AC #3 and #4 on the white counts and some heart palpatations  /breathlessness.  Besides nausea, that was pretty well controlled with the meds, my first 2 AC's were not so bad. I would say #3 was the worst, and #4, maybe I was just so glad it was OVER, other than my whites going really low (I had to have preventative antibiotics for both #3 and #4) it was not too bad. 

It seems for me the Neulasta shot would "kick in" out of sync (a bit later) than my whites plumetting. They were going to tell the drug company rep. Happened to a few women there apparently...

Anyway Taxol, so far, like NOTHING compared to AC. No body aches yet, just starting day #2. Will report back! 

• SingaporeChris
    edited September 2008

Hi Springtime,

when I was on TC I found that I felt good for the first couple of days and then by day 4 I felt completely exhausted, could bearly move from the chair to the toilet and felt a little dizzy.  By day 6 I felt a little better and by day 9 I was almost back to 100%. The rest of the cycle I felt great.  Hope it goes well for you. I am hoping that #3 and #4 of AC will be easy for me, as my oncol says they won't get worse and has altered my dose due to low blood count.

Take Care, Singapore Chris

• 2z54
    2z54 Member Posts: 29
    edited September 2008

Thanks for the update, Springtime!   I'm glad you're still feeling good on the Taxol!  My body is still aching away here in NJ.  Mostly my hips and legs.... I'm thinking it could be what used to be plain old arthritis that went away with a tylenol, made worse now by the AC and Neulasta, and this overcast weather.  I moved from NJ last year after spending 30 years in the San Diego.  I barely knew I had arthritis in California!

Anyway... I'll keep looking for your posts and wishing you luck through the rest of the Taxol!  (And tomorrow I'll mention it to my onc...) Thanks!!!

Sue

• Tanzie
    Tanzie Member Posts: 115
    edited September 2008

Adding Tamm36, wyndywy, and dblinch.   Welcome to the Sept list, girls!

Updating Springtime's tx. :) 

Sept ChemoGals!

Sept 01 -   FloridaMom     TAC (Port placed Aug. 29)

Sept 02 -   Jacuelyn32    TC or TAC

Sept 02 -   kmg1015    TC x6

Sept 03 -   2z54    (Port and SNB Aug. 28)

Sept 03 -   horselover     A/C x4 every two weeks  T x4 every two weeks  (Port placed Aug. 29)

Sept 03 -   6cooks      T x9 weekly / A/C x8 every two weeks

Sept 04 -   SingaporeChris    FAC

Sept 04 -   Emily2008    A/C x4

Sept 04 -   paweed      TC

Sept 04 -   rickster      TC

Sept 04 -   Rehula       A/C x4

Sept 05 -   yuyueno    TC x6 every three weeks (Port placed Sept. 29)

Sept 05 -   BrandonMom     A/C x4 every other week / T x4 every other week

Sept 05 -   iowagirl       TC

Sept 07 -   Karenp62       TC

Sept 08 -   woorus     6 tx every three weeks

Sept 08 -   Lili46    TC x4

Sept 08 -   praine     TAC

Sept 09 -   Tanzie    A/C x4 two weeks between (Picc Line inserted same day)

Sept 09 -   cjh   

Sept 09 -   HeatherL      FEC x3 / TC x3

Sept 09 -   lyn117      EC & F(5FU)

Sept 10 -   theprettiestmess     FAC & T

Sept 10 -   bar62        A/C

Sept 11 -   klfh        TCH   tx x6  three weeks apart 

Sept 11 -   TheMissingWink      (Port placed 9/08)

Sept 11 -   oldlady     TC x4 every three weeks -- final treatment something else

Sept 15 -   Sue508    TC x4 three weeks between

Sept 15 -   floridaeyes 

Sept 15 -   jc135    TCH every three weeks  /   H weekly  

Sept 15 -   hopefulLady       TC x4  three weeks apart 

Sept 15 -   softballangel       Blind Trial 

Sept 17 -   Priz47     A/C (Port placed 8 / 28)

Sept 17 -   peeps1111      TC x4 every three weeks

Sept 18 -   kimy      TCH  every three weeks

Sept 18 -   bettysgirl      FEC x3

Sept 18 -   Tamm36       A/C x4  /   T x12  (port placed 9/16)

Sept 19 -   Juli50     A/C x4  every three weeks  T twelve weeks

Sept 19 -   susan13      CAF  over nine weeks (port placed 9/16)

Sept 22 -   bunnyrabbit     TC cocktail of choice

Sept 24 -   LisaF       A/C x4 every two weeks / T x4 every two weeks

Sept 24 -   Genia        TCH

Sept 24 -   wyndywy    TCH every three weeks / H x12 every week

Sept 24 -   dblinch       TC &  H

Sept 25 -   Vondi       A/C x4

Sept 25 -   trudecox       A/C x4  /  T x8

Sept 26 -   rseaw22     T/C x4

Sept 26 -   ango74       TCH x6 /  H

Sept 26 -   ppaul54      Gemcitibine

Sept 26 -   Bethwvu      TCH x6 every three weeks

Sept 29 -   PEnTE (Pattie)     A/C every 3 weeks

Sept 29 -   tammyintexas     A/C x4 every two weeks / T x4 every two weeks / Rads x33

Sept 29 -   ladyleen4          TC x4 three weeks apart

Sept 29 -   Springtime       T x4 every two weeks /  Just finished A/C x4 every two weeks

Sept 29 -   Jane_M    A/C x4 every two weeks /  T x4 every two weeks

Sept 30 -   Ellizig       A/C x4  /  T x4

Sept ?? -   CanItBeTrueNH  

You girls please let me know if I need to add, or if I've forgotten anything!