Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens Learn more here: Walgreens collaboration.

Chemo in Sept 08

Comments

• Juli50
    Juli50 Member Posts: 652
    edited October 2008

My friend in Canada and another in Idaho said they saw me. I have another 45 minutes till it's on here. Undecided

I woke up with a very runny nose. I called my onc's office to see what OTC I could take and the nurse said, "I guess, Sudafed"... She guesses??? Anybody on AC need to take something to dry up a runny nose?

Thx, Juli

• Wink
    Wink Member Posts: 476
    edited October 2008

Springtime, Genia, they left the access for the port in, so I don't have to go throught that again tomorrow! Yipee

Priz, sorry to hear about the ANC - don't dispair, mine was down to 0.2 last Wednesday and was up to 1.0 on Saturday.  Today it is 3.7 and my total WBC is 6.0 - all without neulasta.  I work in a hospital also, but I'm able to limit my exposure as I work in the laboratory - no patient contact and I'm not working in microbiology until I'm done with chemo.

Jane, I was taking ativan, but started waking up at 3am each morning.  My doc prescribed lunesta and it works well, but I also take a benedryl with it.  After this is all over I guess that I'm going to have to wean myself off of the sleep meds - I'm not going to worry about it too much now; I think the need for sleep is too important during chemo.

• hopefullady
    hopefullady Member Posts: 102
    edited October 2008

Juli, I saw you several times.

Ruth, I agree.  I was really admiring that girl's hair too.  Gives hope.

Chris 

• whoopsiedoodles
    whoopsiedoodles Member Posts: 224
    edited October 2008

GASP!!!  I am a thread hijacker-a little birdie told me one of you got to be in the Ellen audience!!!  I LOVE HER! 

I started a thread saying we should flood her email so she features our little community on her show.  I LOVE HER! 

I'm so excited for you-how much fun did you have?  Laughing

• Tanzie
    Tanzie Member Posts: 115
    edited October 2008

rseaw22,   I had the exact same spinal pain with my first tx and blamed the nuelasta.   I spent 2 days in bed on a heating pad, zonked out on lortab.  And even that didn't cut it by much.  Thankfully it eased up on day 3.    Hopefully, it'll be the same for you.  

2 tx no bone pain anything like the first, but I have had my first day of vomitting. :/  Day nine for me.

Juli-- I didn't get to see you!   I was at the doctors when Ellen aired here.   I hate I missed it chickie!  

Much love,

Tanz

• Juli50
    edited October 2008

Good news for anyone who missed me on Ellen today. Go to www.ellentv.com and click on the Video of the Day, where it talks about "Ellen soaks an audience member in a dunk tank." As the woman comes down the steps, I am to the right of her, 3rd row from the back (green shirt).

It was a lot of fun, but we waited outside (in the shade) for 1 1/2 hours in 100 degree weather, and then were in the studio for 2 1/2 hours where it was 45 degrees...Brrrrr!!!! No wonder everyone wants to get up and dance!

Suzanne Somers book is about 450 pages, so it will take me awhile to get through it. But the cover says it's about "Life-altering secrets from today's cutting edge doctors".

• 6cooks
    6cooks Member Posts: 15
    edited October 2008

Hi everyone,

Wow havent posted for a week and man there are alot posts to read!  Went to appt today and they changed my protocol. Was having lots of neropothy from Taxol, so I am done with that and started on FEC. I was supposed to start AC but onc changed his mind, said there were less caridiac se from FEC than AC.  I am a little gooshy feeling but other than that ok.

Tanzie, first off BLESS you for keeping us gals rounded up. You can change my tx plan, I have FEC 2 more times, in 3 weeks and then 6 weeks and then OMG chemo is done! YAY me! Your stool story made me laugh, I get embaraseed too and I work in a hospital!  Also wanted to tell you I add picture. It is my 15 year old son at the Race for the Cure in KC, MO. He and 12 of his friends signed up for me. The back of his shirt says In celebration of MY MOMMY. They can have their sweet moments even at 15!

resaw22 I can relate to the Neulatsta pain, I got SO achy! My onc told me to take 2 Lortab every 4 hours and stay in bed for a few days (he said some are THAT bad) but unforturnately life and my 4 kids interuppted that plan. Mine did go away by day 4 though.

Bethwvu, wproch, dblinch,springtime and whoever I missed welcome.!I cant believe there are almost 60  of us. I send out prayers to all BC gals, but especially our group daily.  This site is a godsend and makes me feel not alone.

Wink, first, hope your port is doing better, ouch, and wanted to tell you and resaw22 and priane I can so relate about the hair thingy.  When I am home or just out and about I wear a ballcap and all is good, but when I work I try to put that wig on and just cant do it. I wore it one day and felt like it was crooked, people were staring etc. Every time I work it is a struggle, what do I wear? Scarf (usually) wig (almost never) but even then you would think I would be used to the whole no hair thing but I am not! I hate it and am insanely jealous of every person around me with hair! I need to get over it (maybe a good drug would help?) Then I feel vain and superficial and tell myself so what,its just hair. (but all of us baldys know its not "JUST HAIR" . anyway, enought about that!

priz47  I was saddened to read about your mom, how is she, I am praying for her also! Must be tough to be dealing with that and yourself. Hang in there and big HUGS to you!

Marci

• 6cooks
    edited October 2008

Juli50,

I am jealous, I LOVE Ellen!! (but not jealous of the 100 weather, UGH isn't it fall yet?) Sounds like a good time!

Marci

• 6cooks
    edited October 2008

whoopsiedoodles,

What a great idea! we could all see Ellen! Think she would pay for my plane ticket? Probably not.

Marci

• whoopsiedoodles
    whoopsiedoodles Member Posts: 224
    edited October 2008

LOL 6Cooks!  My fantasy is that she brings us all there for free! 

• 6cooks
    edited October 2008

whoopsie,

Yeah wouldn't that be awesome! I don't know about you but I am ready for a little girls get away.

Marci

• PEnTE
    PEnTE Member Posts: 14
    edited October 2008

Denise,

This is Tom, Patti's husband.  Patti had her first treatment on Monday 29 Sep, her nurses name was Mary Jo, very nice lady as are all of the other nurses that we met that day, I'm glad to report that she hasn't had any SE's as of yet and it is Day 3 (Knock on Wood), she didn't have to get the Neulesta shot.  Sorry to hear about your WBC and ANC.  We are praying for both you and your Mom.  Patti will go back every Monday for blood work and every three weeks for her Chemo treatments, her next treatment is 20 Oct.  She has stopped working since her first treatment due to the fact that she works in a fitness center.      

• bettysgirl
    bettysgirl Member Posts: 645
    edited October 2008

marci- i wish you the best as you finish with the FEC. the SE's have not been horrible for me. I took all the nausea meds and it was controlled. Doctor told me the only SE he could not treat was the hair loss which he said "will happen very fast". So here i am on day 14 post treatment and it is shedding now every time i run my hand through it. No telling how much would come out if i washed it today.

Tanz- thanks for keepong up with us

Have a great day everybody

Lisa

• Genia
    Genia Member Posts: 1,055
    edited October 2008

Juli.....Benedry will work.........but it will make you sleepy!!!  I usually take 2 of them at a time.......

Genia 

• Ellzig
    Ellzig Member Posts: 16
    edited October 2008

Hi Everyone,

Had first chemo 9/30. I was sooo ill by about 4 hours after. However the next day was ok, and even today is ok, just pretty tired. I didn't expect that to happen to me, but I guess everyone is different. I'm realizing I have to take my meds early and often (still getting the hang of it I guess). Only 3 more AC to go, then Taxol! One is behind me, that's good.

JaneM thanks for the tips - I will ask at the salon for the eyebrow pencil. Also, Nurse told me I probably won't lose the eyebrows now, but will on Taxol.

They gave me ice chips during the Adriamycin push - no mouth sores yet on day 3. Appetite not great, but eating anyway.

Thanks for listening ladies! Onward and upward.

Ellzig 

• Juli50
    edited October 2008

Genia : Thanks for the advice. I took a Benedryl last night before I went to bed. There is no way I could take one during the day or I wouldn't be able to work. I get my WC's checked tomorrow. Hope I'm still ok.

Ellzig: I'm on AC, then Taxol too. Geez, I don't mind the hair going, but I don't want to lose my eyebrows! Cry

Juli

• Tanzie
    edited October 2008

Updating 6cooks tx info!   :) 

Sept ChemoGals!

Sept 01 -   FloridaMom     TAC (Port placed Aug. 29)

Sept 02 -   Jacuelyn32    TC or TAC

Sept 02 -   kmg1015    TC x6

Sept 03 -   2z54    (Port and SNB Aug. 28)

Sept 03 -   horselover     A/C x4 every two weeks  T x4 every two weeks  (Port placed Aug. 29)

Sept 03 -   6cooks      FEC x2  in three weeks then again in 6 weeks

Sept 04 -   SingaporeChris    FAC

Sept 04 -   Emily2008    A/C x4

Sept 04 -   paweed      TC

Sept 04 -   rickster      TC

Sept 04 -   Rehula       A/C x4

Sept 05 -   yuyueno    TC x6 every three weeks (Port placed Sept. 29)

Sept 05 -   BrandonMom     A/C x4 every other week / T x4 every other week

Sept 05 -   iowagirl       TC

Sept 07 -   Karenp62       TC

Sept 08 -   woorus     6 tx every three weeks

Sept 08 -   Lili46    TC x4

Sept 08 -   praine     TAC

Sept 09 -   Tanzie    A/C x4 two weeks between (Picc Line inserted same day)

Sept 09 -   cjh   

Sept 09 -   HeatherL      FEC x3 / TC x3

Sept 09 -   lyn117      EC & F(5FU)

Sept 10 -   theprettiestmess     FAC & T

Sept 10 -   bar62        A/C

Sept 11 -   klfh        TCH   tx x6  three weeks apart 

Sept 11 -   TheMissingWink      (Port placed 9/08)

Sept 11 -   oldlady     TC x4 every three weeks -- final treatment something else

Sept 15 -   Sue508    TC x4 three weeks between

Sept 15 -   floridaeyes 

Sept 15 -   jc135    TCH every three weeks  /   H weekly  

Sept 15 -   hopefulLady       TC x4  three weeks apart 

Sept 15 -   softballangel       Blind Trial 

Sept 17 -   Priz47     A/C (Port placed 8 / 28)

Sept 17 -   peeps1111      TC x4 every three weeks

Sept 18 -   kimy      TCH  every three weeks

Sept 18 -   bettysgirl      FEC x3

Sept 18 -   Tamm36       A/C x4  /   T x12  (port placed 9/16)

Sept 19 -   Juli50     A/C x4  every three weeks  T twelve weeks

Sept 19 -   susan13      CAF  over nine weeks (port placed 9/16)

Sept 22 -   bunnyrabbit     TC cocktail of choice

Sept 24 -   LisaF       A/C x4 every two weeks / T x4 every two weeks

Sept 24 -   Genia        TCH

Sept 24 -   wyndywy    TCH every three weeks / H x12 every week

Sept 24 -   dblinch       TC &  H

Sept 25 -   Vondi       A/C x4

Sept 25 -   trudecox       A/C x4  /  T x8

Sept 26 -   rseaw22     T/C x4

Sept 26 -   ango74       TCH x6 /  H

Sept 26 -   ppaul54      Gemcitibine

Sept 26 -   Bethwvu      TCH x6 every three weeks

Sept 29 -   PEnTE (Pattie)     A/C every 3 weeks

Sept 29 -   tammyintexas     A/C x4 every two weeks / T x4 every two weeks / Rads x33

Sept 29 -   ladyleen4          TC x4 three weeks apart

Sept 29 -   Springtime       T x4 every two weeks /  Just finished A/C x4 every two weeks

Sept 29 -   Jane_M    A/C x4 every two weeks /  T x4 every two weeks

Sept 30 -   Ellizig       A/C x4  /  T x4

Sept ?? -   CanItBeTrueNH  

You girls please let me know if I need to add, or if I've forgotten anything!

• theprettiestmess
    theprettiestmess Member Posts: 198
    edited October 2008

Hey all!

Tx #2 was yesterday, and the hoo-hah of the day was that my pulse rate was around 145 bpm, so I had a bag of Benadryl added to my pre-meds. After that was infused (and I promptly fell asleep) they were only able to get my pulse rate down to 98 bpm. I've been scheduled for an EKG and a MUGA scan on Friday to see if the adriamycin has caused damage to my valve or if there's an underlying problem. Oy. I woke up this morning, and before I even got out of bed, I took my pulse. Resting pulse rate was 143. I'm so conscious of it now...I swear that everyone can hear it! 

I start back up with my 10 Leukine shots tomorrow...can a girl sleep IN at all?

Some fun was had on Tuesday...the ladies of my church threw a party for me...a head shaving party! I received some mighty beautiful scarves, hats and yummy aromatherapy products, along with some powerful prayers! I'm liking that I don't have any hair so much, that I might not WANT my hair to grow back! No bad hair days!

• Roya
    Roya Member Posts: 16
    edited October 2008

I came across this interesting article, one of many, that indicates that fasting during chemo may improve its effectiveness.  I copied and pasted one of the articles here:

-------------------

Fasting May Improve Cancer Chemotherapy

Temporary Fast Shields Healthy Cells, While Chemo Drugs Target Cancerous Cells, Study Shows By Jennifer Warner
    WebMD Health News Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD

March 31, 2008 -- Fasting prior to cancer chemotherapy treatment may significantly enhance the cancer-killing effects of the drugswhile protecting healthy cells from damage.

A new study suggests starvation induces a protective shield around healthy cells, allowing them to tolerate a much higher dose of chemotherapy.

Related to

lymphoma, leukemia, chemotherapy, radiation, mammogram, PSA test , colonoscopy, herceptin, tamoxifen, breast cancer -- Colposcopy, lung cancer, skin cancer, prostate cancer, cervical cancer, colon cancer

© 2008 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.

The results showed starving laboratory mice for two days prior to chemotherapy treatment protected them from potentially toxic high doses of the drug, and they gained back the weight they lost after treatment.

Researchers say cancer chemotherapy can kill as many healthy cells as cancerous ones, but inducing temporary starvation increases the cells' resistance to stress, which may allow doctors to use higher doses of current cancer chemotherapy treatments to make them more effective.

Chemotherapy Starvation Diet

In the study, published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, researchers studied the effects of starvation on cancerous and normal cells.

First, they induced a starvation-related response in yeast cells, which made them 1,000 times more protected than untreated cells.

Then, they tested the effects of fasting on human and cancer cells in a test tube and in mice. The results showed starvation produced between a twofold and fivefold difference in stress resistance between the normal, starvation-treated cells and normal cells. In tests with live mice, of 28 mice starved for 48-60 hours before chemotherapy, only 1 died. Of 37 mice that were not starved prior to treatment, 20 mice died from chemotherapy toxicity.

"More importantly, we consistently showed that mice were highly protected while cancer cells remained sensitive," researcher Valter Longo, PhD, of the University of Southern California, says in news release. "If we get to just a 10- to 20-fold differential toxicity with human metastatic cancers, all of a sudden it's a completely different game against cancer."

Researchers say genetic cues prompt starved healthy cells to go into a hibernation-like mode that produces extreme resistance to stress. But cancerous cells don't obey those cues and remain stuck in growth mode.

By using the starvation response to differentiate normal and cancerous cells, researchers say healthy cells may be able to withstand higher doses of existing cancer chemotherapy drugs, but further studies in humans are needed to confirm these effects.

View Article Sources Sources

SOURCES:

Raffaghello, L. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, online early edition March 31, 2008.

News release, University of Southern California.

© 2008 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2008

Ruth,

Yeah the "I would never choose chemo" attitude and would go the natural way" is hard to take. Like we're nutz for choosing this path. oh well, sigh, as you say.

Juli, 

I would also like a report on the Suzanne Sommers book! 

Report on Taxol #1, Day #4. 

All body aches gone, or if there are any, I don't feel them. No fatigue either yet. (Waiting for other shoe to drop!). Nothing at all like AC where I felt out of it and nausea for 8 days. So much better.

Springtime 

• BrandonMom
    BrandonMom Member Posts: 209
    edited October 2008

Juli, I take benadryl too.

Springtime, so relieved to here the Taxol treated you better.  I'm hoping the same for me!  Fingers crossed!

• Juli50
    edited October 2008

Springtime:

That report will take awhile... over 400 pages! I woke up with a fever today. My onc wants me on antibiotics for a week. My white cell count was low too, so I got a Neupogen shot. I get another one tomorrow. Anyone know what the normal range is? He said mine was 1.1. I don't know to compare that to.

• Sue508
    Sue508 Member Posts: 81
    edited October 2008

Hi gals,

Tanzie, your story was funny (though I'm sure it wasn't at the time!). Your husband was just looking out for you!

Yuyu - hope you are feeling much better by now!

LisaF - you mentioned diaper rash ointment. I was having some 'issues' last go round, and I actually got my daughter to pick me up some desitin!! That seemed to do the trick. Didn't think I would be needed that stuff again LOL.

Card - thanks so much for the prayers!!

Jane, the only 'tics' I've noticed are a few eye twitches. You might mention it to your doctor.

Ruth, hope you are feeling better. Donna - your port - ouch! Is it feeling better? Theprettiest - very cool about your church party.

Today is Day 18 and my hair is coming out like crazy. I'm wearing a bandana right now just to keep it contained. I'm going tomorrow to get it buzzed. I was really weepy about my hair yesterday, but okay today. No telling what I'll be like tomorrow. I'm really dreading it and I'm dreading treatment #2 next Monday.

Sorry if I missed anyone - there are so many of us. Hope everyone has a good evening!

hugs,

Susan

• rseaw22
    rseaw22 Member Posts: 59
    edited October 2008

Is anyone seeing a nutrionist during chemo?  All I've read is general advice - no greasy foods, eat what you can, eat healthy...it seems like recovering from chemo would be benefited by specific foods...anyone?

• Jane_M
    Jane_M Member Posts: 932
    edited October 2008

I feel like whining and I feel guilty for whining.  I feel very blessed to have had so few SEs from my first AC.  I have been gassy and I didn't take anything for constipation because I was afraid it would cause diarrhea, so I have had some hard poopies, but I did buy some desitin and I will use that.  I'm achy from the neupogen and I'm tired.  But, relatively speaking, I've had it easy. 

But, I just came from a meeting of another group I belong to and got put in the middle of one of those stupid "business" issues..."she shouldn't have ordered that many books"..."why don't we have more money in the treasury?"   I wanted to look at these women and say, "Who cares? I'm trying to make it a day at a time battling this bull***T and I could care less how many books we have!"  I know that's terrible of me, but I just feel like I have this big attitude right now and no place to unload it. 

So, sorry to be a pain, but I figured someone here would understand.

P.S. So much for that "perky, strong, courageous" attitude of mine.

• priz47
    priz47 Member Posts: 161
    edited October 2008

Hi all!

Juli50- normal WBC range 10-13,depending on the lab, some up to 15. So yes,you were low!

I also have picked up a "bug" that is going around. Diarrhea, low-grade fever, generally not feeling well.....I did take Immodium!

I did go shop for "real" bra today. I have only been wearing sports bra since surgery and wanted to feel human again! I had to be resized since the reconstruction and went down a cup size. talk abt depresing.....

Hair is coming out in clumps! Trying to wait till Monday to buzz it. I am Day 15. We have a good friend's retirement tomorrow with party on Sat. I need to find a scarf or hat that will match several outfits! That'smy big dilemma right now, does my scarf match??

I am going Sunday to Denver for Race for Cure. I am meeting my oldest son up there. He will run, I will walk!

I thought my periods would stop! I have spotted today! What's the deal????

D

• peeps1111
    peeps1111 Member Posts: 70
    edited October 2008

Jane:

I'm right there with you.  I have a lot of anger but seemingly no place to unload it.  I've been shaking my head reading all the issues we survivors deal with on an everyday basis.  The heartbreaking stories of sex lives down the drain, painful lymphedema issues, and losing hair, sometimes for a llllooooonnnnngggg time.  No one seems to take those seriously.  It's like you're lucky if you've beaten cancer, even if it could be temporary.    

All my H thinks about is food.  Who cares?  

Peeps 

• priz47
    priz47 Member Posts: 161
    edited October 2008

Sorry tohear abt your anger but glad I am not alone. I have spent more time crying this past week....I am angry will all the people whothink that since I  have had surgery, I am fine. I am not emotionally fine nor mentally, just physically. Do they realize how hard it was to go bra shopping today??? Let them get their breasts chopped off! Sorry to vent! I do understand Peeps and i am there for you!

D

• priane
    priane Member Posts: 13
    edited October 2008

Jane.. I feel ya.. There are many days when I sit and listen to some people and their problems and I just wanna scream, "DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF!!" It's frustrating at times. We're all entitled to feel that way tho. We're gonna have those "moments." It doesn't make us weaker.. It actually makes us stronger.

Hope all is well...

• Tanzie
    edited October 2008

*Sigh*  I'm another one of ya'll that is finding I'm having to fight 'attitude' at times.   I've been pretty good so far, haven't snapped at anyone.   I know they mean well.....   I keep telling myself that there is *no* way they can have any idea what I am going through.    I know I certainly didn't have a clue before I was dx'd.   How can you understand unless you've been here?  Can't be done.  

And so I find myself saying, "I'm fine. *insert strained smile*"   most of the time I'm asked by the masses.. "How are you.... really?"   I get tired of being asked.   On the other hand, if no one asked I'd probably be annoyed by that too.  Tongue out

praine-  I know just what you mean.   And I have actually said,  "At least you don't have cancer." to my brother and a very few others when they have started complaining.   Reality check on aisle three!  Reality check on aisle three!  ;)

Btw:  totally shaved my head down today.  I got tired of the stubble coming out.   Mistake!! lol   I look like Uncle Fester!