Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stop Smoking Support Thread

Options

Comments

• misty123
    misty123 Member Posts: 63
    edited March 2009
    Options

14 hour since my last smoke, had coffee this morning an 1 small twinge for a smoke to go with it. I pray all of you can make it thru today smoke free with me included.

• Janzin
    Janzin Member Posts: 491
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Nervousknitter, you are always full of positive support who understands what we are going through. Congrats on you over 5 weeks on smoke free. Thanks for being here!

REKoz, I totally understand where you are coming from. Since my Dr made the wrong surgery date, I will have to wear the expander another month and a half. I know for the both of us it isn't the worst news but extending this whole process is a BUMMER! Like you I wanted to have the surgery done for the hosting of my tournament, a wedding is way more important so I understand how you feel.  But on the positive side, you will have more time to quit smoking and get in some strong quit smoking days so your healing will be that much nicer. Good luck to you and I hope you feel better.

Welcome Misty!  I am sending you positive thoughts! If you only had a small twinge with your coffee, you are doing great. Just remember that the twinges will become further apart and less severe as time goes on and every twinge is one less to go to hit that place of no twinges. Be good to yourself and do the things that help the twinges, you will get there. When you hit a stressful time definitely post it, we are here for you. I think that with everything going on with us BC ladies that it is easy for our stress level to hit over the top, which is so hard on the quit smoking program so post post post! You will get there!

Malleme, I like your idea of music to calm down. And whatever it takes to find a little peace is good. Every night I light a few scented candles and my room is cozy and peaceful. It really does help the mood. I use to meditate and I am thinking about getting back into it, even if I start off with 5 minutes a day. But it does work and it is like taking a vacation for 5 minutes, get some breathing in and focus on yourself as a person, your relationships and your goals. The last time I mediated my home was a crazy mess as we went from a large home into a small home, nothing peaceful there. So I took a small space and put a pillow down, a low table, a plant, some candles and decoration and made it my special little space. It was easier for me to mediate with my favorite scents and get into the mood with my little cool space. Though if you are good you should be able to hit that spot no matter where you are. Sometimes I played music before or afterwards, it was my peaceful time of the day and a break from life.

Well I forgot to take Chantix yesterday but the good news is I didn't smoke more so maybe I am slowly breaking down the habit. Smoked about 6 yesterday and before BC I was a pack a day. I find that I think about it less and have less desire to smoke a whole cig. I even put in a 12 hour work day yesterday. I think my time will come soon.

Good luck to you all!
  • Deb-from-Ohio
    Deb-from-Ohio Member Posts: 102
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hello ladies

Heres you a good one..I asked my oncologist yesterday about taking my chantix with the lexapro, she said I could but would rather I wait until after chemo...Said the stress would  not be good...wants me as stress free as possible to aid with the chemo..Told her this was the only docs office I had ever been to who didn't want you to quit smoking and didn't want you losing weight! LOL

Deb

• Janzin
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Welcome Deb! That makes sense to me as stress does play a factor to your immune system, the reason why my sister blames my cancer on my ex. Not that I AM blaming him as no one really knows why you get BC, but I do notice that sometimes after a real stressful time I can come down a flu or cold.

Take care of your stress!!!!
  • flfish
    flfish Member Posts: 309
    edited March 2009
    Options

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!  I miss you guys!  I see more people have joined....welcome.  I am STILL on jury duty, probably for another week.  Good Lord, this is taking forever.  Good thing I put off quitting for this month because I could not have made it. 

My quick note for the night....I too blame stress for my BC.....:)........it makes me feel better.  Who knows, we might be on to something right?

• nancypat
    nancypat Member Posts: 239
    edited March 2009
    Options

I have been reading your threads for about three weeks now but hadn't felt I'd earned my dues so I would't reply.  Two days ago I found out I do have IDC and micrometastis (sp?) in my sentinal lymph node.  So yes, I do have cancer, yes it is spreading and I go next week to find out when my chemo and rads will begin.  And no I haven't quit smoking yet. 

I did quit a week prior to my surgery but attacked the packs today when I found out long distance that my dh had a heart attack Sunday and had to have an emergency double by-pass.  When it rains, it pours! 

So, if you sisters can find it in your hearts to accept a shattered novice; I sure would appreciate it.

I have to say I was heartened when I saw "the dead" pictures.  It was the first time I've laughed in quite a while.  (My father-in-law couldn't speak English either)

Thanks,

Nancy

• malleme
    malleme Member Posts: 164
    edited March 2009
    Options

WElcome pantufas, I can say from sitting back for a while listening to these wonderful ladies the we are all here to just support each other. Our hearts are whole open truly your have found a very special place just ask away.

I am her2+ than triple + 0/1nodes  bil lat mast 1/26/09 with Tissue expander dx .  I just started chemo/ herceptin treatments just yesterday.nelasta today wiped me right out within 15 minutes.  I thought I could get the shot, pick my son up from school and be ok.  Truth I was suddely about to pass out.  Thank god my son has his driver permit. 

Smoking is difficult during a normal time,  Yes we all know it's better not to smoke,  but I have to say we are adding a lot of mental stress trying to quit during the oh so many wait and see results. and while our families don't quite understand our inner mental stresses.   I was almost getting obsessed with quitting running out in the cold to smoke.  Chantix is working for some of all.  I have gone exactly 48 hrs and 26 minutes without smoking and if I could find my husband cigs right now I would smoke then.   I enjoyed my cigs.

Just don't beat youself up.  Your mind is probably spinning in a million different emotions. 

But ask away anything  or look at the past post to brighter you date. 

But welcome. Nancy

The rest yes I believe stress plays a huge part in cancer.

• Janzin
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Hey Ladies! I actually went out tonight, first time since this whole BC started. I was celebrating that they were able to fit me in next week for my new boobs. Stress at the same time as I have so much work to do but soooo happy to get rid of this expander! Thing is I don't know about my quit smoking as I have so much stress that I can't even sleep well, not even with sleeping pills. I do know that because of all of your support helps me not to give up and it would be so easy to do.

Fifish, miss you too! Hope you jury duty is going okay and playing hostess is not driving you to nuts. Just throw some canned baked beans at them, lol.

Pantufas, welcome! Don't have to earn any dues except for just the want of quitting or even a supportive post helps all of us so much. This is a great thread where we can get support because no one understands all the emotional stress that we go through. I look forward to this thread every day because you ladies help my SANITY! Glad the dead picture got a laugh out of you, we need to find humor between all this stress and the ups and downs of BC. Maybe we should all try a couple of dead pictures and post them, they do get funnier. I am totally with you on the pours as it has been pouring on me for over a year and a half. It's a amazing that we are trying to do such a difficult thing as quit smoking during all of this, I am proud of us! Looking forward to hearing from you.

Malleme, congrats on your over 48 hours. That is so awesome, didn't know that you had so much time in. Can't wait to join you.

Peace fellow Butt Fondlers!
  • tami48
    tami48 Member Posts: 270
    edited March 2009
    Options

I read this thread all the time.  I don't post much as I'm still smoking, but do fantasize about quitting.....things I could do like spend more time with my nephew, go out to eat without rushing through the meal just so I can have a cig, get my teeth whitened, have a professional cleaner do my house to get rid of the smoke smell, etc.  I'm the only one in my family that smokes and have since I was 15, so that would be 34 years of smoking!  Damn!

I tried to quit a couple of times during the past year.  Chantix was horrible for me.  I may try to quit again this year.  I've been reading up on the shot you can get, but I'm not sure I'm a candidate because I'm epileptic.  I've never tried the patches only because they have nicotine in them.  Has anyone been able to quit with a patch?  I think you've really got to want to quit and I'm honestly not sure if I'm there yet.

You are an awesome bunch of ladies and I really enjoy reading and learning of your experiences.

Good luck to all of you!

• REKoz
    REKoz Member Posts: 164
    edited March 2009
    Options

I sure would like to welcome you Nancy! And you as well 2new...stick around and contribute as you never know when that resolve will hit you. Plus, we are quite the "social butterflies" at times and seems we all look forward to coming here.

I THINK I've finally got my armor on and I have set Monday as my quit date. The final push is not surprisingly un-health related. How much of an addict am I when it's my pocketbook that gives me that shove? Cigarettes went up to $8.00 a pack here this week!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you even get over that? Now, I've been down to maybe 1/2 but previously could plow through close to 2. I just flat out cannot afford that! I see it as the universe's way of telling me that the gig is up. Thank God I have you ladies. Because even as I read what I wrote I hang my head shamefully. Not the cancer but the purse....are you kidding me Ellen??  Well, catholic school conscience of mine, it is what it is as they say! And I know God understands his mixed up child!   Oh, sorry ladies, I'm talking "outloud"- psyching myself up-Wink

I start my round 3 (of 4 chemo cycles) tomorrow so I am trying to keep my head out of the dumps.(Remember, I'm a chemo oddity too- 3 weeks on, 1 off). I'm on the Jan. chemo thread as well and many of us there are feeling really beat up at this point. Yes, happy to be on the "back nine" but lack the energy and enthusiasm to celebrate that. It's been a long road and now after I'm done, I'm looking at this expander correction surgery 3 weeks post chemo. Of course, there's Herceptin for a year too!

I don't mean to sound ungrateful...the "alternative" to this is indeed not an option. I am eternally thankful I will be present at the wedding no matter what shape I am in. Still gotta gripe and get the negative vibes out there. Must give room for positive ones to move in!

Best wishes to all for a smoke-less or smoke free day for those who have succeeded. I think Nervous Knitter and Fitfish are in the lead no? Hardy, and I do mean HARDY congrats to you both.

XOEllen

• malleme
    malleme Member Posts: 164
    edited March 2009
    Options

Janzin you just made my day.  Kiss I am so happy they moved up your implant  date.  I truly prayed  for each of you the other day when it seemed everything in life was stacking up to against up.

Today I must admit since last night, which  I didn't find any of my husband cigs that I am still not smoking but wanting them.  Didn't they say 3 day and it's just mental now. Oh but they forgot to mention if you have BC in you life. 

I will just keep sending positive vibres. right back to the wonderful ladies who have so wonderfully coach me and countless others who just read the info and funny dead pictures.  I wish for all of you a stressfree blessed day, just enjoy the day if you smoke or not. 

Lots of laughs would be great

XO Mallec 

• Janzin
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Welcome 2newboobs, unique name! 34 years is a long time, might be hard to remember what it was like when you didn't smoke. I started when I was 15 too so it was hard for me to let go the first time I quit, couldn't imagine life without my comforting friends since I smoked most of my life too. But once you do quit, it's a whole new world out there and so much freedom. I did become pretty depressed the first time but I work through it and became a stronger and better person. I used the patch, one 21 on each arm since I smoked so much. I took a couple of weeks off of work just to concentrate on quitting, don't think I could of done it any other way. I cried, I bitched and I ate a lot of chocolate. Anyway, when you are ready we are here for you and whatever you go through we will be here to listen and give you support! You are on the right track!!

REKoz, I am so excited for you! You have your quit date!!!! Good to talk to yourself and psyche yourself up, have to mentally prepare for that day. Wow, $8 a pack. We are still at 4-5 a pack, but that is a huge incentive to quit, I am sending you positive thoughts. I wish you luck on your round 3 of chemo, it has got to be hard on you. I don't think you sound ungrateful, we do have the right to feel the way we do. Going through BC is one of the hardest things I ever went through, and I didn't have to go through chemo so I know it is even tougher on you ladies who do. I know it is great that we are alive and it we should be grateful for that but it would of been nice not to ever go through BC. Some guy ask me out last night and he knew I was a hacked up BC patient and he didn't care. But I do, I haven't even thought about dating or sex since this whole thing started, I just want to be alone. So let out your negative, it's healthy to get it out and we are here for you!

Malleme, congrats on your 3 day. They do say it takes 21 days to break a habit. I find that funny since everyone is so different and we all are in different places with our smoking. So I hope your habit will be way less than 21 days! The cool thing is you will want it less every day and then you will realize that you didn't even think about a cig the whole day. I can't wait for that day! I will send you positive vibes that day will come for you soon. And thanks for your prayers, got real lucky that they were able to squeeze me in especially since I will be having 2 Dr's there, one for the reconstruction and the other to remove my ovaries.

Wishing all you a great day and miss some of you ladies who haven't posted in a while, hope that you are okay.

Janet
  • NervousKnitter
    NervousKnitter Member Posts: 46
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hello my friends! Happy to see we are managing to bring in more ladies--doesn't matter what stage you're in: thinking of quitting, trying to quit, whatever. This is THE place to be!!

Patting myself on the back for 6 weeks. SIX FRIGGEN WEEKS!! I can't believe it. I have to confess, I still think about having one (one, yeah right--one PACK). But now I think "I can't go back". For you newbies, I'm on Chantix, took a smoking cessation class and have been to Nicotine Anonymous a couple of times. My husband is clueless and non-supportive, but doesn't smoke. None of my friends smoke, either. I've managed to not smoke even though my 80 year old father fell and broke his hip and shattered his elbow and is still in rehab and then will be here. (Thank goodness for valium. I've made sure I have a stash ready for Dad's arrival here. This morning I was trying to think how I could slip some to him.....)

Anyway, for those of you who have a quit date, I need to recommend getting RID of all your smokes. Even that emergency pack you have stashed. Clean out the car ashtray, the ashtray on the patio table etc. I tell you this because about 12 hours into in if you are like me you'll be on the hunt for them. Talk about low behavior....finding a 1-1/2" butt in the ashtray on the back patio that's probably been there for months and then lighting up.  Us addicts will go LOW and LOWER for our fix!! LOL

A special hug to those of you going through chemo while you do this. And a special careful hug to those going through surgery. Janet, since we have PM'd each other may I just add a special kick in the ass to you!! :-) LOL

Hang in there, ladies. We are the IN group!! (Okay, now I'm off to hunt for a bag of Pirate Booty. All this thought of smoking....I know I have grapes......gotta stuff SOMETHING into my face!!)

Jill

• nobleanna007
    nobleanna007 Member Posts: 58
    edited March 2009
    Options

Welcome Misty,

I wish you the best of luck kicking this habit!!!! Its a tough one as I know, I find every excuse in the book to keep smoking!!!! You sure do have alot on your plate!! Come and rant and rave with the rest of us!!!

To everyone else I know I am not on as much as I would like, but I am trying to get used to the new work schedule and dealing with the after math of the pain I get!!! Then to top things off they changed my meds cause they did not have the mgs of the ones I have so there solution is to take one less at a higher mgs and I can't cut them cause they are extended release, well lets just say they make feel like a zombie!!! I hate them! I go next week to the PainDR. so hopefully we can figure something else out, thank-god I have other stuff left over to get me through when I have to work.

REKoz and Janzin- I know what a bummer it is with these expanders I lost one so I have this ugly bunch of skin tucked in and the other has been in for a year Dec08 and I am so sick of it! it does cause pain mine is on the bottom it kind of feels like its sitting on a rib or something. Unfournatly my Diep is going to be in the fall I was going to have it done before I went back to work but I was called in a little earlier than expected. And I can no afford to take another summer off!! I feel for you guys cause it stinks! especially when you only have one foob and flat on the otherside which I have been stuffing with socks! One of the sister's just sent me a prothesis for the other side which I need to go pick-up at the Post Office I really hope it helps!! She is great she is trying to recycle things that women may need like that Special bras wigs etc. She is a Angel!! I am going to send her wigs and hats I have, if any of you would like to send anything let me know I will pm you with her address or if you need something. Well I better get into gear and go to work for a few hours!!!

Thinking of everyone of you!!!!!

NervousKnitter- you are so right about the smoking and going through all this I did not even think about quitting till I had things behind me somewhat!!!! Its hard enough dealing with all the drugs and such and to add one more stress is not good for anyone!!!!

HUGS!!!

• mbscruggs
    mbscruggs Member Posts: 72
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hi Ladies!  Hope everyone is having a pretty mellow day.  I went to see my PS today, first visit after having expander put in last week.  I brought an index card with questions, and he just filled/wrote the answers  in.  Next to my question re.  types of bras/camis he wrote "sexy' ones!  Too funny.  I did confess that I hadn't quit smoking yet, and he was kind about it.  He made a face, but didn't yell, so for that I am grateful.

I am keeping you guys in my thoughts and prayers.

Mary Beth

• nancypat
    edited March 2009
    Options

Thanks malleme and Janzin for the replies and the good sense.  I would love to say I quit but I would be a liar.  But I have only three packs left and I know I have to quit.  I am such a tight wad though I can't bear to throw that money away.  I am determined that I will not buy anymore. 

I have decided that I will not smoke anywhere but in my computer room.  I am trying to stay busy so I will stay out of here.  I washed all of the woodwork, did laundry, vacumned and mopped and grubbed in the flowers.  My right arm and armpit are sore but I figure those were my exercizes. 

I am making an appointment Monday with my regular doc to get a precription for Chantrix (sp?).  I've read what you all have said about it and think that will help.  Forgive the expletive, but I'm counting on you guys to STAY ON MY ASS!  I started smoking when I was 16 and am now 55.  I did quit for 7 years and then went all to hell over the boy my daughter was dating at the time.   That was 6 years ago.  She ditched him and now I have to ditch these.

I was just so angry yesterday about my husband's heart attack.  What else has to happen!?  So I said screw the cancer, I'm getting some coffin nails!  How could I do such a stupid thing when I had gone a week doing really well?  Sorry about the rant.  I just had to get it out.

My daughter is coming up from NC on the 20th for a few days.  I told her to bring her camera so we can do some "dead pictures".  She will love that!  I'll get her to post them for me as she is the one with the brains.  I have her to thank for giving me the courage to join the forum. 

One more thing before I bid you all a good night.  You are one fantastic group of ladies!

Onward and upward!

Nancy

• flfish
    edited March 2009
    Options

Ok, so my civic duty is DONE!  Holy cow, even if I was not a smoker, I would have turned into one serving on that jury.  Tough one, wrongful death case.  I just hope we did right by the family.

Anyway, so much going on here.  Jill, you hit 6 WEEKS!!!!  That is great!  And did I read some people are paying 8 dollars a pack????  Oh good Lord.  The taxes are picking on us smokers aren't they?  I still get mine for $4 (and if you buy generic, I can buy a carton for $24).  That just shows how much we spend on taxes and it varies by state and county.

Have a wonderful weekend ladies.  Keep those lungs clean.  I hope to joing you again in the clean lungs club soon.  Anyone going through chemo next week, you are in my prayers. 

Ellie

ps--I too love the dead pictures, I am going to start that tradition myself....my daughter will get a kick out of that!!

• Janzin
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Good to see so all of you working it!

Congrats to Nervousknitter on 6 weeks!!! Maybe I should try that pirate booty, what is it and where do you get it, lol. Thanks for being here, you are such a huge help. You can kick me in the ass anytime, lol.

Nobleanna, Sorry that you have to go through that with your expander, I really feel for you. Fall is a long time away so I hope you can pass the time quickly. I am such a brat that I whined about 2 weeks of recovery in the past with my foot.  I do feel for you so I hope you don't mind my twisted humor but if someone gave me hell, I think I would pull out my sock and sock it to them, maybe have a few coins in there for better impact. Good luck with your prosthesis and meds! Think I might have a future picture to cheer you up!

MB, Nice to know you have a Dr that has a sense of humor, I love to laugh. Hope you expander is not giving you too much grief. If you like sleeping on your side like me, try that really long pillow at Costco, saved my life!

Pantufas, think I am going to do the same thing, get rid of these packs and quit! It scares me a bit as with the stress, where's my outlet. I am getting some valiums so maybe that will help. I see the Dr Monday and if she doesn't give them to me, I will find a Dr who does. Hang in there and maybe your dead pictures will get a laugh out of you, counter all this stress. Looking forward to seeing them.

FiFish, Glad you are back, and wow that sounds like a heavy jury duty. And you only pay $4 a pack, can you mail me some (Just kidding) lol.

Jancie, haven't heard from you in while so I hope you are doing okay. Drop in a line and let us know how you are doing!

Got a crazy work weekend but I will be trying to cut down my smokes, getting ready for another quit day. I hope you all have a great Friday!!!
  • REKoz
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hi Ladies-

First Pantufas, I just noticed you are in Luray. Both of my daughters went to James Madison so I know exactly where you are! Always wanted to see the caverns on my dozens of trips there but never did. They both loved it there but at the end of 4 years were ready to get out of Harrisonburg. Just a TAD different from LI ya know? Though we lived in Minneapolis for 5 years and Pittsburgh for 7 so they are not life timers here. It is beautiful country where you are.  I was so sorry to read about your husband. Where is he now? My DSO had double by pass almost 5 years ago. His life is totally back to normal and it's as if nothing ever happened. I can't wait for observers to say the same about me! It will be quite awhile though. I am also HER2+ so I'll be on Herceptin until next Jan. I have expander revision surgery in May, and then exchange (had a bilateral mx) sometime down the road. Though I have to say that when chemo is over at the end of April, I THINK I will be feeling that I've climbed T.H.E. biggest hurdle of the whole experience.

I'm not sure who mentioned the fact that their Onco. said that the stress of quitting smoking during chemo might be too much. Surprisingly, mine said the same thing. He has been the most non judgemental of the bunch. He has the most kind and gentle manner of any human being I have ever known, especially not MD's!! Not huggy, just professionally very warm. ANYWAY...I said that I understood what he was saying, however I have that May surgery. Then he shook his head in agreement without saying that it would be most beneficial for me to to quit. So, I'm still looking at Monday girls...OHHHH...I'm scared!

Have a good night all. Ellen

• Janzin
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Hey, Probably won't post tomorrow, have a 15 hour day. But I did want to touch on a subject that some of us have talked about, "ungrateful". I just wanted to say that I one of the things I am grateful for BC is that I have met and I am getting to know such great ladies like you. And also it has given me incentive to quit smoking as I probably would of not try quitting for years. I did start thinking about quitting this week, funny becasue my heart is already pounding with al the stress without quitting, but you never know. I will try anyways. Not a good alttitude, huh. I know you ladies with Chemo have your hands full but my work stress makes it really hard too, maybe self induced. But on the good side is I am finding solutions to cut down on future stress so it is not an ongoing thing. I hope to inspire you to quit but I am afraid that I may be weak. Guess I really need that kick in the ass, lol.

I am so work up I can't sleep. Can't wait for the valiums!

Sending positive vibes to your quit smoking butt program! Have a good sat and find peace and laughter where ever you can.
  • Janzin
    edited March 2009
    Options

Okay Nobleanne, hope this a gets a little grin. I wasn't doing the pictures so it is not one even one of my best shots.

bc2

I will post better!

Smile for the mile that we have to travel!

Janet

• Janzin
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Okay, the first one wasnt' that tgreat, this one is a little better but these pictures are actually hard to do. No need to get crude, just silly shots.

bc2

Getting the right photgrapher is half the battle. Well if you all can think of a funnier theme, let me know. Between the emotional crap and stress, I could use all the laughs I can get.

Have a great night!
  • mbscruggs
    mbscruggs Member Posts: 72
    edited March 2009
    Options

Janzin,

Thank you for the suggestion of the pillow....I am getting more accustomed to the expander.  Rarely do I forget it is there, but I have been able to sleep at night.

Hope things are going well for you and all the ladies here.

mb

• nancypat
    edited March 2009
    Options

REKoz-Luray certainly isn't Lisbon or London but I am so glad to be back in the Blue Ridge Mts.  I'm from Asheville, NC and this accent has gotten me back into the US twice faster than they could check my passport.  I guess, once a mountain girl, always a mountain girl. 

The caverns are fantastic!  So much beauty.  I can also breath down there better than I can above ground.  Speaking  of breathing; I have 12 cigs to go till I give them up.  I'll probably smoke them all tonight so I won't have the temptation in the morning.  It will be cold turkey as I haven't had the time to get to the doc for the Chantrix.

My husband is still in Portimao trying to sell the house.  Portimao is on the Southern coast of Portugal.  It is gorgeous there but I needed to come back to the US for treatment.  He is doing really well considering what he has been through.  His mother died five years ago from colon cancer and his father nine days after her with a heart attack.  He said today.  "If I don't go like my mother, I will probably go like my father."  I feel really bad that I'm not there to take care of him.  I know the stress of my diagnosis has been a real factor in his having a heart attack.  We are so close and have always been there for each other.  It's hard.

Janzin- your pics are hilarious!  Going with the cig in the mouth is a nice touch.  You don't know how much I needed a good laugh.  And then again, maybe you do.  I am so looking forward to my daughter coming next week end.  I already have the "death' senarios planned.  My sister is horrified but my BIL thinks it's a hoot!  What a revolting way to comport oneself!

Well, for all of those who have managed to quit, WELL DONE!  And for those of us who are trying, we'll see.  Wish me luck gals.  I go Monday and Tuesday to see when I get to be poisoned and blasted.  My oldest son is bald (albiet, a handsome devil) and so is my new grandson.  I told him last night that when my hair fell out we would have to get together for a family portrait.  He laughed of course (has his mother's insane sense of humor).    

Onward and upward!

Nancy

• jancie
    jancie Member Posts: 403
    edited March 2009
    Options

Oh My - I am so far behind on this thread.  I disappeared again.  Why?  Because I felt guilty for smoking even though it was 2 cigarettes a day.  I am down to 2 a day and I can't give it up for good?  I don't even have physical cravings anymore - it is that mental thing with me that is making me hang on.  I will go for 2-3 days and not smoke and then smoke my 2 cigarettes per day for 3 days and then quit again for 2-3 days.  I feel like I am in this vicious cycle.

And I am HATING chemo!  TX #2 was rough.  I didn't even start feeling human until Thursday this week (8 days from chemo) - just in time to get poisoned again this Wednesday. 

I have major chemo fog and fatigue.  I promise to catch up with all of you really soon.

Welcome to the new members that have joined us!!! 

• nancypat
    edited March 2009
    Options

malleme- Good Gravy!  I meant to reply to your post.  Thank you for the welcome!  After my strokes (AND SHE'S STILL SMOKING??!!!!!) my short term memory is so bad I can't remember what I did five minutes ago.  I just found the Post it note with your name on it and thought ahh crap!  I forgot to respond.  Sorry!

I'm really worried about starting chemo.  I guess I'll have to deal with as best I can.  I hope you all can put up with my stupid questions.  Lord love a duck!  I just scrolled back and I did respond!

Now I remember what I came down here for.  I found another pack in my bedroom.  And here I was set to quit after I smoked my last 12.  I had to come immediately and confess.  I think it's time I took a Lorezapam and learned how to spell Chantix. 

Good night Ladies!

Nancy 

• flfish
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hey Jancie, so glad to see you back.  I am sorry that the chemo is being so rough.  But congrats on being down to only two smokes, that is awesome!!

Janzin, the photos are classic.  Love them.  I like that you brought up being grateful.  BC has been a blessing to me in many ways.  The way I look at life now (and stressful situations) is completely different from how I looked at it one year ago, before being diagnosed.  I sure wish that I had such clarity before.  Friends and family have noticed how mellow I have become because just nothing is all that important to me anymore,  nothing is worth getting worked up over.  It is a nice way to live!

Best of luck to all our chemo girls this week!  You are stronger than you know!  For all of those who have already quit, keep going!  For those who haven't (like me), our time will come.

Take care!

Ellie

• tami48
    tami48 Member Posts: 270
    edited March 2009
    Options

The price of cigs went up last week!  They are now $40 a carton without tax!!  This is outrageous! 

I see my family doctor on the 23rd of this month and I'm going to talk to her about quitting.  I'm thinking of trying the patch.  I wonder if the generic patches work as well as the others?

I understand that a quit date should be picked.  I've also been looking at Clear Horizons Online. 

I just wonder if I need to talk to my doctor or just go ahead and set my date and plan to use the patches.  I just don't know.  What I do know is that I don't want to pay these high prices for cigs!

$40 plus tax weekly would be over $160 a month....alot of things I could do with that money!

<HUGS>

• REKoz
    edited March 2009
    Options

2New- $65 FRIGGIN dollars a carton here before tax!!

I had an absolutely horrid chemo day yesterday.My worst early pregnancy sick was a walk in the part compared to it. Chemo was Fri and I had not really felt the effects until Sunday in the past. I also had to get a shot for "chemo induced anemia." Sure explains why I do nothing but sit or lay on this couch all day. I didn't even have the energy to type yesterday and so, so nauseous!  Today is much better. Surely I'm not tap dancing but I feel alive at least!

Tomorrow is supposed (uh oh, does that word mean I'm not even going to try) to be my quit day. I know you'll understand if suddenly I don't do it. At $8 a pack, I will not throw out the almost full pack I have. Hell, could I be any more transparent that I am NOT ready to do it tomorrow. JEEZE, I just can't stand me sometimes! It won't be long before I do this...I do KNOW that. It won't be long before I run out of money anyway!

Cheers

Ellen

• Janzin
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Hello Fellow Butt Fondlers, sat was a long day, started at 6:00am with getting ready for a booth and was home by 11:30pm from the second booth. I was tired by the time I hit the second booth so I had about 4 shots of tequila at the fights to wake me up a little. Have to tell you this funny story as this has never happened to me. After those 4 shots I was smiling pretty good, went to the bathroom and after peeing, I stood up and heard this PLUNK and my cell phone slipped out of my back pocket into the toilet. After complaining I fished it out with 2 fingers and washed it with soap and water then my friend and I started walking back to my booth. I told her watch this, I walked up to my roommate, his girl and my other friends and started slapping my damp cell phone to their foreheads one by one. Toward the end of the line they asked me what I was doing and I told them I dropped my cell phone in the toilet. They looked so shocked that I laughed all night and on the way home, probably looking pretty silly laughing that hard in my car by myself. My roommate told me to watch out that he is going to get me back......... so I put my cell phone on his pillow. Bet you didn't know immature I was or maybe you did with my dead pictures. Anyways, I am still smiling this morning.

MB, glad you are sleeping okay, hope the day went well for you.

Pantufas, the caverns sound really cool, Asheville is beautiful, I was there last summer. Hope your husband will be okay, I know it must be tough not to be together through all of this. And 2 cigs are awesome, and I know it is hard not to smoke the whole pack. At the end of the night before my quit day, I just tear up the rest of the pack which is hard to do as I also hate wasting, funny I don't apply that to my health. Post all your questions, the ladies here are great!  

Jancie, welcome back. Don't beat yourself up on you smokes, we are getting there. That fact that you are trying is huge. The fact that some of us are really thinking about it is huge. And the ones who have quite is really really huge. If you get busy to post, stop by and read and I will write you some encouragements! Hopefully that will send some positive energy your way as I know your Chemo must be really hard.  

Fifish, I loved your grateful story. We will get there soon. I am still feeling pretty weak with all this stress on quitting, especially on the times when I have panic attacks. Some days I find myself holding my breath all day. So I think to myself, how in the world am I going to quit right now. I go back and forth with positive and negative thoughts on my quit smoking. I do know that I get a break from stress after June 12th which is my second tournament of the year. Some of my plans are starting to work so I am feeling better about biz but it does takes time and meanwhile I am stressed. Especially since I have gotten behind with all these surgeries so now I feel like I am running madly to catch up.  

2newboobs, the cheaper stores here on cigs are looking pretty scary. Everyone is buying packs and cartoons before the price goes up and the shelves are looking bare at some stores. I haven't stocked up because I keep telling myself I am going to quit. You could take the $1,920 that you save a year and plan a trip somewhere pretty cool, Hawaii, Mexico a cruise. Maybe we should all take the money we save and meet in Vegas, we would have money for a spa day too.

REKoz, Hang in there, we will quit smoking. Take what you can handle and worry about the rest later. Even if it is a one day quit day or a month, we are heading in the right direction, we just have a lot on our plates. I really do believe we will get there and I look forward to your success story!

The rest of you ladies, I am thinking about you and wishing a great Sunday. Find laughter wherever you can, you feel so much better!