Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Exchange City

Options

Comments

• rockwell_girl
    rockwell_girl Member Posts: 517
    edited February 2009
    Options

oh my so many post

,,,iluvmykids I've heard of several PS that do that.  I would actually suggest everyone to ask their PS to do that.  If you read through all our post you'll want to ask your PS what the dimisions of your expander is,  If your liking it you'll want something close to that to keep the same size Just read whippets comments looks like she beat me to it.... 

I forget the name of the gal that mentioned saline implants...my only sugestion is ask your PS not to max it all the way full.  I think that might be part of the reason my implant was so hard

Also I would have to look back but I think I remember someone saying they were having a B-Day today.  To be honest I think it was on this thread but not positive.  But if so I haope your having a great B-Day : - )

• rockwell_girl
    edited February 2009
    Options

I just looked back and the B-Day girl is Pinkylee

• rockwell_girl
    edited February 2009
    Options

I lovemykids.  I know the style your talking about.  I just went to the mentor web site...I see the tissue expander/adjustable breast implant come in 3 styles.  You'll want to ask your PS which style you have.  Smooth round spectrum 1400, siltex round spectrum 2400, or siltex contour profile spectrum 2500.  They also come in Becker 25 & 50 sizing in smooth or siltex.  Once you get this info you can get the dimensions of your implant/tissue expander.

• Estepp
    Estepp Member Posts: 2,966
    edited February 2009
    Options

Ladies.. a very dear friend of mine is doing the " scans" that we all fear tomorrow. She is finally out of a VERY long 1 1/2 years of treatment... she is tough... but scared for tomorrow. These will be from brain mri to the rest of the body.. every part to see if the cancer is still gone... we all can imagine her fear... some of us have had it already.. some have not yet...

On my blog, I have written something for her... but then, as I re-read it.. I see that it is for us ALL!

Please check it out and leave a little comment for Daina.... she is the type of person who prays for all of us,.. not just herself...

I love you gals...

Her testing starts at 10am tomorrow...

Laura

http://www.estepps.blogspot.com/

• rockwell_girl
    edited February 2009
    Options

just reading this I got chills...

I read your blog that's so true

I will pray for Diane when I pray for all my other loved ones I care about

• looper
    looper Member Posts: 61
    edited February 2009
    Options

Hi Patty and Everyone~~I had my exchange on  Monday at 7 AM.  It took place on time for the first time--there's an advantage to having to be at the hospital at 5 AM!  Mine was pretty much a breeze too.  I was home by 5 PM, tired and hungry.  I'm on antibiotics for two weeks and was given pain meds also, but haven't needed them much.  There's a little pressure on the mast side, but certainly manageable, and lots more cutting was done for the lift on the right than I expected--guess I thought it would be a little tuck, not a total overhaul!  That pulls enough to make me wince when I move wrong, and my PS wants me to be very gentle, as I have pretty serious thin skin issues.

I went home in one of those preposterous sports bras--I too am a Victoria's Secret girl--so I'm feeling pretty flat.  I'm also getting a nip and tattoo later--he says about 2 months from now.  It was good to hear I can expect to fluff up!  Love the young grandma comments, as I'm in that club too!  I have a five year old granddaughter who's my little obsession--blonde, beautiful, brilliant--you know the type--and had some questions today.  Not sure how to explain to her what's been happening to me, so I was glad something distracted her as I was stumbling through an answer.

I'm trying to keep a journal which I had just happened to start shortly before I was diagnosed last August.   The thought of who may read it in the years ahead is keeping me from being brutally honest in recording my feelings.  Everyone has been so good to me through all of this, and I know how lucky I am,   Another reason this is such a great forum--we can say whatever we please!

For the long list of you who have upcoming exchange dates, I think we all agree that this surgery is so very much easier than the mastectomy, which is just plain cruel, and it's wonderful to have it finished.  But be careful what you tell your family, caregivers, and coworkers--remember that you still deserve to be treated like a delicate flower through the process!!

• Estepp
    edited February 2009
    Options

Sandy, thank you! You know I love ya.. and how much I have come to care for you! We have GOT to have a Vegas fun trip sometime... not that I gamble.. oh.. I will throw away 100 bucks for the weekend... but it course it could be fun just to hang by the pool at a downtown hotel ( cheaper... and room up with like 4 to a room... LOL HEHE... what a girly blast.. like a grown up slumber party.; I do this for my Salon gals about every other year... it is good girl fun... those who gamble.. can.. those who dance.. can... those who shop... can.. those who drink... can ...etc..

Anyway... as I am still in active treatment... someday dream!!!!!!!!!!!

Looper... I hope you heal well. .. and at the end of the third month... as we are told... you feel really happy with your implants!

Laura

Lauera

• looper
    looper Member Posts: 61
    edited February 2009
    Options

Thanks, Laura!  Since I live in the snow-covered state of Wisconsin, three months from now is perfect timing for sunny weather and low necklines--as low as I can go without crossing the line of decency!

Suzie

• smmr
    smmr Member Posts: 34
    edited February 2009
    Options

Laura,

I went to your blog site.  You are such a gifted writer; it feels just like you're in our living rooms talking right to us!!  I will also add a prayer for your friend for her scan.  Any time I had a mammogram they ALWAYS had me come back for another mammogram, then an ultrasound, etc., due to my fibrocystis breasts.  There was always something that looked suspicious.  That was nerve wracking enough, I can't even imagine what these scans must be like.  That has to be 10 times worse!  My heart goes out to all that have to go through that. We just need to envision the joy though, when they tell us that all is well!!  Easier said than done, I know!  Loved the scripture about worry not adding another hour to our lives.  I might have to get that one framed, since I'm a known worry wart!!

• Mykidsmom
    Mykidsmom Member Posts: 448
    edited February 2009
    Options

Looper - Thanks for touching base w/ us. I am glad that your surgery is behind you. And, yes, you certainly deserve to be treated like a delicate flower for alittle while.

Sandy - Thanks for always being there to share your experience and wisdom. We all really appreciate it!

Laura - Now I need to check out your blog.

Cathee - I think you are the only one we have scheduled for this week. Best wishes tomorrow. Know that we are all thinking of you and sending healing vibes!

Best wishes all. -Jean

• lisasayers
    lisasayers Member Posts: 144
    edited February 2009
    Options

Laura...enjoyed reading your blog and I am lifting up your friend Diana. 

Looper congrats on getting through the next step in this journey!

Cathee sending hugs your way and I'm sure everything will go smoothly!

Hood....zumba really is easy.  I have people start my classes all the time and they just jump right in.  I have people from 7-65 taking the classes!  If they can't pick up a step right away, they just do their own thing!  It really is fun!

• soccermom96
    soccermom96 Member Posts: 13
    edited February 2009
    Options

Daisy---Another vote for you to get a second opinion.  My PS greatly prefers silicone but the decision was mine.  And I've had consistent questioning about my level of pain and scripts when needed.  He says no need to be in pain....ever.  Is your PS older?  Could that be issue...he's out of date?

Lisa---Love your new avatar w/no hair.  You look cool.

• 40somethingMom
    40somethingMom Member Posts: 73
    edited February 2009
    Options

Laura- I read your blog, what you put into words is very much how I feel, I'll say a prayer for your friend and everyone on this site. Thanks for sharing

Loope- I'm so glad your exchange went as smooth as mine!  Thanks for letting me know your PS said the golden word "Fluff" I will hold out for hope that there really is such a thing.  Overall my breast look very natural and I was just so shocked when I went down my stairs the other day and they bounced ---it's been a long time since my breasts had any movement(darn iron expanders) it was a nice feeling!  

• Abbey11
    Abbey11 Member Posts: 7
    edited February 2009
    Options

You can add me to the list.  I have my exchange in two days on the 18th of February.  I'm nervous, excited, apprehensive... I just hope my PS knows what's he's doing!

• YvonneB
    YvonneB Member Posts: 149
    edited February 2009
    Options

Laruar - Good luck tomorrow with your simulation.  I hope you feel better about your decision after going through that.  It is so hard to know if you are doing the right thing when it is something that you really don't want to go through.  We shouldn't have to make these choices...grrrr. 

• ilovemykids
    ilovemykids Member Posts: 43
    edited February 2009
    Options

Hi Sandy thanks so much for helping.  My implants are called mentor round spectrum saline 1470    425-510cc  they are filled to 500cc.  The PS thinks that if I want them to feel softer I will need to go with silicone.  Does that sound right?  Also she said she thought mine felt soft  WRONG they feel tight.  Will the exchange make a difference or not?

The implant the she showed me was called mentor HP and it was silicone filled.

• amudell
    amudell Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2009
    Options

I wa wodering how do I get into the Group I had BILATTERALL MASTECTOMY SKIN AND NIPPLE SPARRING ON APRIL 23, 2008 WITH RECONTRUCTION EXPANDERS AND HAD EXCHANGE ON DECEMBER 2 2008 COMPLETED WITH MEMORY GEL. I AM IN A STUDY FOR THE NEXT 10 YEARS ON THE MEMORY GEL IMPLANTS VS SALINE IMPLANTS 50,000 WOMEN WERE CHOSEN FOR THIS, WONDERING IF ANY OTHER WOMEN OUT THERE IN THIS STUDY. PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I AM FROM THE LOS ANGELES AREA. THANKS TO ALL YOU BRAVE  WOMEN YOU ALL GIVE ME HOPE

• rockwell_girl
    edited February 2009
    Options

I have to get back to work now but will try to look at the above new comments later tonight after I get back from shopping could be about 10

• Mykidsmom
    edited February 2009
    Options

Amudell and Southport - Welcome. Deborah and I are trying to keep the list of exchanges up-to-date. I will certainly add you.

Amudell - I don't know anything about your specific implant, my exchange is not untiil April. But I know someone will respond.

Daisy - I am glad you are getting a second opinion. I do know that my cousin likes her saline implant. It deflated once, but it was an easy fix. She has had it for about 10 years.

Elizabeth - My TEs are very tight as well. By most accounts the implants are much softer. I hear they sometimes even bounce! Wow - that would be cool, huh?!?

• Mykidsmom
    edited February 2009
    Options

Southport - Best wishes this week. Do you know what size and type of implant you are getting! We will be thinking of you and Cathee!!!

• Estepp
    edited February 2009
    Options

Ladies..thank you ALL so much for praying for my friend.. I just got word today that I will have my scans 3/4... eeekkkkkk.. there is that fear word again... My friend Diana, has gotten through her bones scans ok.. and last I talked to her she was waiting on the brain MRI... she sounded pretty strong...  I love you gals!

AMUDELL... you just join... just like you did.. you say... Hello... and you're in.,. welcome!

Shopping till 10pm Sandy.. you have more energy that a bunny.... yippy!!!

Yvonne: Yes... simulation is tomorrow...eeekkk... I hate these choices and I HATE that I will have these ROCKS on my chest till OCT... how am I gonna make it through the summer... what do I wear... eeeekkkkk

Welcome Southport! You will look beautiful darling!!!

40Something... I think it is how we all feel.. and know one knows that like we do!

Sue.. I really am not gifted... The Lord just gave me the gift of gab.. so I just write like I talk or think out loud! Thank you for that though.. very sweet.....

I got another wig today at the cancer center.. Since my hair is one inch long and I work in the HAIR business.... I will be wearing a wig at least until mid summer..

It is really cute.. I don't buy the wiggy ones... This one is really high cut in back.. and really dark... inverted in the front... blond.. and side swept bangs.. pretty trendy for this "mature" broad...lol.. I will see If I have time later to have dh take a pic of me in it...

Well... take care ladies.. and as my life gets NUTS for me over the next 7 weeks... I promise to stick around and try really hard to check in daily.... I might miss a few things here and there... but I will be with all of you in though and ALWAYS in my prayers!

Laura

• Estepp
    edited February 2009
    Options

Cathee and SouthPort... GOOD LUCK TOMORROW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Beautiful ladies!!!

Let us know when you can..Kiss

• bailey34dd
    bailey34dd Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2009
    Options

Hi Lisa - are you getting the true gummy bear implants?  These are significantly different than the newer cohesive silicone gel.  Just so you know, if the gummy bear implants are from Mentor or Allergan then they are coming in a tear drop shape (or called anatomical).  These only come with a textured surface and they have this surface like this to prevent "flipping in the pocket" - which is a drawback to these type of implants.  Anatomical implants can rotate unlike the round shape implants.

If you are interested in getting the round gummy bear implants - these are only made by Silimed.  These implants can come in smooth shell and also textured surface.  Because they are round, they do not have this problem with rotating in the pockets.

Sometimes if you do not have a lot of tissue, textured implants can cause "traction rippling".  Which is a uniformed rippling that can be seen in areas that has thin tissue.

And the gummy bear implants ( the true gummies) are much firmer than newer cohesive gel silicone implants. 

This might be okay with you, but I did want you to know the difference  :)

Hope this helps.

• bailey34dd
    bailey34dd Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2009
    Options

Rippling is much more prevelant with saline implants vs. silicone implants.

You can still get rippling with silicone, however, it is not nearly as bad as with saline.

Silicone feels so much more like natural breast tissue.  Some women have referred to saline implants as "bags of water".

Make sure you feel a sample of both saline implants and also silicone while you are at your PS.  The difference  between the two is phenomenal. :)

If you would like to find out more about the difference between saline and silicone implants...please read here http://www.cosmeticsurgeryforums.com/Augmentation.htm#Silicone_or_Saline0   

• ilovemykids
    ilovemykids Member Posts: 43
    edited February 2009
    Options

I am so glad I found you girls!  I have so much to learn!

• PinkyLee
    PinkyLee Member Posts: 427
    edited February 2009
    Options

Rockwell, thanks for the birthday wish yesterday.  I was out most of the day and had a blast.

I saw earlier where someone was concerned about flying, so I will tell a little story about my flight out of town during Christmas, I set off the alarm both ways.  I had note from doctor, but security couldn't seem to understand why the alarm was at the chest area.  Even after I explained twice, I had to have a private search, I really wanted to pull up my shirt and show the guards what I was explaining.  I was so pissed off and to top it off, I was in a wheel chair and had to get up and walk for the search and while standing on the rubber mat while they ran the wand over my body about ten times.  Everyone was watching like I was going to blow up the air port.  At the end of my departure trip check in I was in tears.  I say this to let you know, allow enough time at the airport for a search just in case.

Someone said their PS didn't give them an option, my PS gave me options and even allowed my SO to feel the different implants before I decided on silicone.  He suggested them and even gave literature on the pro's and cons. 

As my date nears, I have been getting more excited and scared all the same time.  I pray that when I get the exchange on the 26th that I will start to feel more normal.  Square blue foobs are depressing.

Congratulations to the sisters who just completed surgery.  You have almost completed the journey.

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028
    edited February 2009
    Options

ilovemykids:  Aw....my Jack runs at the beach with a whippet named Bella!! 

Sandy is helping you here too!  She works full time and I am sitting here, stuck at home doing nothing but computer research - avoiding the pouring rain storm outside.  So I'll save her the time of having to look this stuff up late tonight when she gets home!  But she will have some additional info to add for you I think!

Okay, so your maximum fill on the Mentor expanders is 510 cc's and at that, the measurements would be WIDTH: 13.7 cm and PROJECTION: 4.8 cm. Projection is an important factor....with a "moderate" profile you would match your width but lose your projection. Projection is one of the problematic aspects of reconstruction after mastectomy.  Here are the Mentor silicone implant style/dimensions: 

Moderate Profile:  Note how the "projection" numbers diminish but the implant base widens...

http://www.justbreastimplants.com/implants/mentor_specs.htm#smooth_round_gel

Moderate Plus Profile: [Still not able to meet your projection # w/o getting too wide a base but perhaps still a good option]

http://www.justbreastimplants.com/implants/mentor_specs.htm#smooth_mod_plus

High Profile - Where you can keep your projection but you will have a narrower base width than you have currently - so you would need to go over this with your PS.  Most of us want to keep our base width also....]

http://www.justbreastimplants.com/implants/mentor_specs.htm#smooth_hp_gel

The other night a friend was over and she felt comfortable showing me her breasts for the first time - it has been four years since her bilateral/reconstruction.  They looked good - good resolution of scarring - but what I could see, and her chief complaint is that they are so round [she is very petite and a "D" cup] and large, but with very little projection.  So they have sort of a "squashed" appearance - especially in clothing.  From the side view, she looks quite small chested.  So we surmised [since she cannot remember the fill volume] that her PS put a wider base and lower projection implant in after expansion.  This is why I would fight for keeping the projection you now have!!  But again, get access to the picture's forum and look at Sandy's [Sandy/Sunshine] photos.  She has her Mentor expander and volume numbers posted along with the photos and your dimensions are close enough to hers to see what you might be able to achieve.

The key is - just tell your PS you want to keep the projection you now have and print out the implant styles and numbers to take with you.

Deborah

• whippetmom
    edited February 2009
    Options

Oh, I finally read through some of the posts and Happy Belated Birthday to Laura - our little Bluebird of Happiness - and to PinkyLee....

Jean:  I just found your link to the calendar doc, but I could not open it for some reason on my laptop upstairs...going downstairs right now to see if I can open it from DH's computer...

Also, we will all keep Cathee and Southport in our thoughts/prayers....as they are having their exchange surgeries tomorrow and Wednesday....

Deborah

• Cathee
    Cathee Member Posts: 62
    edited February 2009
    Options

Jean & Lisa thank you for your kind thoughts. 

Southport Those are my words exactly...aprehensive, nervous, & excited!! 

Has anyone had an Onco type DX test? I believe it takes the DNA of your tumor and gives you a number so you and your doctor can decide if you should have radiation, chemo, or hormone therapy. Mine was a low number so I am just doing hormone therapy (Arimidex)  Now I am second guessing that decision.  I used to think of myself as a strong woman making good choices....talk about a fragile flower.

countdown tomorrow!!!!

• whippetmom
    edited February 2009
    Options

Cathee:  You can go to this thread to see every discussion imaginable re: the Oncotype DX.

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/69/topic/726424?page=1

Mine was "13" and so no chemo for me and I had decided on no chemo - even before my results were in.  But others have opted for chemo, even with a lower ODX score.