Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Options

Comments

• cardplayer
    cardplayer Member Posts: 2,051
    Options

We have a rainy day here, but I’m hoping it slows down in the afternoon so that DH and I can get our walk in. If not, I’ll ride the recumbent bike. I’m the meantime, I’m making a spaghetti squash, cleaning and doing laundry. Of course right now, I’m taking a break.

Mavericksmom -My implants look OK when I have bra and clothes on. My PS said he could do fat grafting to make them a better shape, but I said no. I either have them removed or just go with how they look now.

I hope the funeral goes well Sandy. I don’t remember the planning for my Mom’s funeral, my brothers handled it. I paid the bill though and spent the day before packing up my Moms clothes and stuff for pickup from a woman’s shelter. She died on a Friday and the funeral was on Monday. We delayed a day so that west coast family could arrive. We stayed at an Embassy Suites on the North side of Indianapolis and hosted all the food events there. The old Jewish cemetery is on the south side of Indianapolis. Funny the things you remember even though it was 25 years ago.

Illinois - I walk everyday for exercise and lately have been trying to do some light weights to improve my upper body strength. I’m going to checkout some Tai Chi YouTube videos that Cindy suggested some time.

Thinking of those who made the ultimate sacrifice on this Memorial Day.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,251
    Options

Jackie, check out Penzeys.com—they have a bunch of salt-free seasoning blends. It sounds kind of complicated, but it might also be worth checking out individual herbs & spices. Penzey's does sell very small amounts (actually, buying the smallest possible size jar—2 oz., or even a tiny baggie—makes the most sense because they're less likely to go stale before you can use them up). The things my dad used most when he had to go low-sodium were sweet paprika, garlic powder or granules, cinnamon, sesame seeds, dried oregano, dried basil; and fresh lemons & limes. Using a good olive oil as a condiment, as well as balsamic vinegar, goes a long way flavor-wise. They also make lemon & lime juices in little squeeze bottles—Volcano is the brand I see most often, and has no sugar or salt—if you're afraid the fruit itself will go bad before you can use it.

Just signed the contract for the repast—gonna be pricey, so there goes this summer's European trip. Hanging in there for the second week w/o my HK: we have enough clean socks & undies to put off laundry, but I bought a wheeled laundry basket anyway; and got Swiffer wet cloths and the new "power mop" so I don't have to haul around a mop & bucket and deal with Pine-Sol. I am reminded of that old book from my childhood by Robert McCloskey, "Homer Price," in which the kid's relative kept buying "labor-saving devices." Sounded quaint & frivolous for the 1940s & '50s, but the norm today.

HK says that she doubts the wake Wed. will be anything more than just viewing & signing the guest book—for her sister's wake down in B'ham there were no refreshments. I'm more used to Catholic wakes, during which people socialize in a break room over coffee & light sweets and then there's a short prayer service—but I guess Pentecostal/COGIC practices are different. In the latter, when interment is at a civilian more local cemetery and attendance optional, the repast is usually in the church basement immediately after the funeral and catered either by the family or the "auxiliary" or "sisterhood." My FIL had a one-day wake—the mortuary provided coffee; and the repast was after Mass at our local restaurant, Cellars. His burial was a few days later in Queens. We Jews don't hold separate wakes—sometimes there's an hour of open-casket visitation before the service(s)—Mom had two services in FL, first a Pythian ceremony and then the usual Jewish one. Her repast was at her favorite restaurant. The graveside service was in L. I. a couple of days later.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 34,147
    Options

Thank you Sandy. I had totally forgotten Penzeys. I use to get a little list of their spices sent to me. Not for a long time now though — and even when I did I was not focusing on low or no salt at the time. I do use Mrs. Dash which has some good ones, but some tend to give almost too nondescript of a flavor to foods. I am quite fond of their Lemon Pepper though and use a lot of it as well as the one they have called Everything.

• keywestfan
    keywestfan Member Posts: 361
    Options

Cardplayer, Cindyny, I've only had 2 Tai Chi sessions so don't know much, but usually I'm very anxious in group classes, like I was in Gym. This teacher says "just do what you can do; it takes time to get the moves right…" She's calming and I find myself relaxing. There is a slow walking exercise that is helping me to walk correctly and more balanced. And Sandy, you do not have to have good balance to take Tai Chi. We can do the exercises seated or with our hand on a wall. I'm in a mixed beginner/ intermediate class and, though I can't do many/ most of the exercises correctly yet, there is no feeling of being judged, just sometimes gentle help with how my hands should be placed. She has pictures of her classes on YouTube. Her name is Arlene Faulk and there are videos of at home exercises. I don't know if I believe in the spiritual part of this, but I do think it will be helpful as far as balance and stress.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,129
    Options

My parents were buried in a National Cemetery 10 years apart and for both there was no graveside service. They had a short prayer service in the chapel with interment occurring on their schedule due to number of burials they handle per day. Not sure if this holds true for all National cemeteries though. Never been to a funeral home where they offered coffee or sweets either but did hold prayer services.

Chisandy, you are really doing a wonderful thing for your HK by relieving her of the responsibility for organizing all the pre- and post- activities. They are so difficult to arrange when you are grieving.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Memorial Day weekend. The weather for once was pleasant and brought back memories of when we used to rent a house down the shore (when I was single). Every weekend was dismal with rain and/or cold. Remembering those in my family who served in WWI, WWII, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan. We were blessed that they survived their service.

My Dad was made a Chevalier by the French government for his role in liberating Paris (1944) in May, 2010. He had been seeking recognition for years hampered by the loss of military records in a fire but finally was able to cobble together the evidence he needed. He served in the 4th Infantry, 8th Regiment, Anti-tank Company.

He did not live long enough to know he was to be recognized because he died in December, 2009. We received the invitation shortly thereafter and we notified the embassy because they did not usually offer the award posthumously. Then President Sarkozy decided that he was to be recognized due to the length of time it took for him to prove he deserved it. I was eternally grateful for his action. The ceremony was held in NYC at the French embassy followed by a reception. My oldest DB accepted the award. My other 2 DB's, DH and I were in attendance. He would have loved being there with other veterans and civilians that were also recognized. One woman was recognized for saving Jewish children and placing them in safe homes for the duration of the war. She received the highest award of all the recipients. It was a very touching ceremony for all participants and their families.

• illinoislady
    Options

Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back,
    always ineffectiveness.  Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation),
    there is one elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless
    ideas and splendid plans:  that the moment one definitely commits
    oneself, then providence moves, too.  A whole stream of events issues
    from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen
    incidents, meetings and material assistance, which no person could
    have dreamt would have come his or her way.

William H. Murray

• illinoislady
    edited May 2023
    Options

Had a really nice day and late afternoon yesterday. We had people over which turned out to be really nice. More than we expected, but still only family. It was just warm enough to be pleasant, but not over-warm. I think we will have to plan a few more cookouts while we do have the nicer weather patterns.

Thankfully, I did make a bit more potato salad than I meant to. I was making it mainly w/o the salt. Well, turns out everyone wanted the home-made rather than the one that came from the store/deli. Hamburgers with the onions cooked inside. Tri-colored peppers and onions caramelizedI on the grill along with corn on the cob. It was really nice and the some of the family lingered till almost dark.

Did not go to the cemetery this year although we did in yrs. past. In 1996 when my Mom broght my Dad back home here for burial the local cemetery had just opened up the area for the Veterans for the wives as well. So, my Mom bought her plot then —- so she could remain with Dad.

The site just below my Mom and Dad were open, so Dh and I bought those for ourselves. We are both Veterans — so it worked out well. In the end, all of us will be cremated so all have the flat markers.

Here it is generally customary to have either a somewhat private meet-up at a restaurant for an after-memorial service dinner or for church ladies to put on a meal right after the small service at the gravesite. If it is not church ladies, then all the family and really good friends will bring potluck type dishes to a meeting place to gather together in honor of the person deceased.

Hope you all had a good day to spend in remembrance of all service people, but very much your family who may have served as well.

ETA: Meant to say Betrayal — I felt myself offering up a bit of a cheer that the French government went on to honor your Father for his wonderful service on their behalf. Just sad that he was not physically present to receive this recognition. Just glad that the tribute was given and received.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,251
    Options

Spent most of yesterday finalizing the repast arrangements, shopping, cleaning, cat care before going out for a simple dinner (fish, salad, spinach). Today I have to take Bob's car in for service, and will touch base with my HK about tomorrow's wake and with the funeral home to make sure they print directions to & from the cemetery & then the restaurant.

Big news is that we (Andina & Rich) will be on the radio (on-air & streaming) next Tues. June 6! Tune in to WDCB-FM 90.9 in the Chicago area and wdcb.org (worldwide) for "Folk Festival with Lilli Kuzma" from 8-11 pm. We'll be playing live and helping promote the Gebhard Woods Dulcimer Festival June 10-11. (More on the fest later). There will be a short live pre-show in-person set at 6:30 in the studio's "living room" area (425 Fawell Ave., Glen Ellyn, IL) for those who want to drive down. Free!

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,137
    Options

Jackie, I want to first thank you for your service! I come from a long line of military. DH and father were both Army, but many in my family, particularly on my mom's side of the family, were military. I think I mentioned before that my ancestors fought in the Revolutionary War and every U.S.A. war since. My aunt and several of my cousins were army nurses. All of my uncles served. I have a cousin who was a fighter pilot in Viet Nam. My DH was stationed in Germany, but my two BIL's were in Viet Nam. Dad was in WWII but stationed in Panama.

Another sunny day! DH and I went to BJ's today. I also checked out my insurance plan and was surprised at how many programs are available on line and in person! I want to check out the on line videos and classes. I printed out my card and hope to visit the gym soon to sign up for membership. They accept Silver Sneakers.

Feeling ok, but not anywhere near as good as I felt last year at this time.

My nephew had his surgery today, my DS said it was a large tumor but they got it all out. I feel so bad that he had to lose his eye. I guess that puts the loss of my breasts in perspective.

cardplayer, glad you got time with your family especially your sweet granddaughter! I forgot about "tummy time."

Cindy, glad you are over your horrible cold! It is funny how everyone thinks Covid, forgetting that colds and a host of other viruses are still around. I get it, but I don't even know if I would test myself for Covid if I had symptoms. Of course all of my home tests are way past their expiration dates.

• betrayal
    Options

MM: They did adjust the expiration dates for home Covid tests so they still may be good.

Jackie: Thank you for the comment about my Dad. He was in some major battles in France and Germany which we were not aware of until we took him to Washington to see the WWII monument. Then he opened up and told us stories. There were some funny, poignant ones and some which made us aware that he was lucky to have survived. I found a poem that he had received from a French woman in his souvenirs. It was in English thankfully but mentions how thankful they were to the American troops.

For his 40th Army reunion we went to England to see where he had been billeted in Devon and to Bournemouth where he shipped from to land in France shortly after the D-Day invasion (tail end of it). He met some old friends, took many photos and took them to the VFW to share with other vets.

The locals in Honiton took him on a pub crawl when they found out he had been billeted there and told him how the old barracks had been converted for light industry use. He was billeted in a home that had been knocked down when they built a new school but some of the locals knew which family he had been with. He loved it.

Misty had her first vet visit today and is still on antibiotics for her sneezing. Of course, she did not sneeze while there but had decorated a window at home before we went. It's a 5 day course and hopefully this will work. She is still a flyweight at 6 lb (with collar and dangle ornament on) and this will most likely be her final size. She is very petite and boney but he does feel she will fill out more. They had a cat treat called Delectables Squeeze Ups and she loved it. Checked online and found that both Amazon and Walmart have them so I ordered a box for her. I bought the assortment box with 4 flavors from Walmart. Vet gave her a welcome gift package with a toy mouse, plastic ball, and some coupons. We signed her up for their Care plan which covered today's visit.

Beautiful sunny day in the low 80's. Want to get outside for a bit while it is still comfortable. Hope all have a good day and all who have had health issues are feeling better.

• cardplayer
    Options

Betrayal - What a wonderful honor for your father to received recognition for his role in liberating France.

Illinois - sounds like you had a nice Memorial Day with your family.

Sandy - Sounds like you’ve been busy with preparing for the funeral arrangements. I’m looking forward to hearing more about the festival.

Mavericksmom - glad the gym accepts Silver Sneakers. I had fatigue for several months after my surgeries. Took me some time to bounce back and I still have some fatigue.

My Dad was in Navy during WW2. Dad and Mom are buried in Indianapolis. My in-laws both served during WW2 F-in-law was in the Navy (Pensacola) and M-in-law was an Army Nurse in San Diego. They said she was too skinny to serve in Europe. Both are interred at Arlington Cemetery. M-in-law had full honors for her service since Army Nurses were officers.

We had a quiet Memorial Day. DH and I took a walk as we do most every day. It’s been warm and humid here. Have a nice evening.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,829
    Options

Enjoyed the military stories. My mother's brother was in WWII. My dad's brother was also in WWII in the Navy and had two ships he was on board destroyed. His nerves were very bad and in later life he committed suicide. My brother was in the Army but did not serve in a war.

It's warmer than I would like this afternoon, low 80's, but I'm holding out on closing up and turning on the a/c. We have good air circulation with several fans, one in the ceiling hatch in the main living area.

It's interesting how different areas have different traditions for funerals. In my part of the south, people bring food to the home of the grieving family. And I mean LOTS of food from hams and Cajun fried turkeys to potato salad and casseroles and desserts. After the graveside service, close relatives will go the grieving family's home for a meal. But it is not customary to invite everyone to a restaurant. The ordinary person could not afford the expense.

In the Chicago area, where dh grew up, the restaurant meal is common. Often the restaurant is family style and moderately priced.

Tomorrow I plan to go to town and pay for a summer membership at Anytime Fitness. It's a small gym, much smaller than our YMCA and doesn't offer Silver Sneakers classes because it doesn't have the room. At home our SS classes fill the gymnasium.

Glad that most people seem to be getting along reasonably well.

• petite1
    petite1 Member Posts: 2,184
    Options

So much to catch up reading. I have not been feeling well. I lost my voice, then chest congestion and next diarrhea. I slept a lot today and feeling a little better tonight.

Sandy, sorry to hear about your HK's DH.

Betrayal, such a beautiful kitty.

MM, I have been having trouble with USPS and UPS. They both deliver to the wrong addresses.

Cindy, sorry to hear you have been ill and about your neighbor.

MC, I love your Tippy stories.

Jackie, so much going on for you.

Karen, good to hear about you grandchild

Keywest, good to hear from you

I should have taken notes. Sorry if I miss someone.

• illinoislady
    Options

You will find, as you look back upon your life, that the moments that stand out, the moments when you have really lived, are the moments when you have done things in a spirit of love.    -Henry Drummond

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,151
    Options

Burials at our National Cemetery in Saratoga are fast paced. Your gathering stays in their cars as the group before you hears a prayer. Then your cars move up, get out for a prayer and back in your car you go. If I’m not mistaken there is no graveside service. You are in and out.

Wake’s & funerals - way back I remember 2 day wakes and a day full for the actual burial. Now days depending on the person/family it can all be completed in one day. Our usual is wake 4-7 pm on one day, next day church services and cemetery. My sister has told me when her time comes she wants one day and done. Of course I told her we’ll resort to the old days and wake her for 2 days. (Haha, sisters!)

In years past, similar to what Carole mentioned, folks dropped off food at the house, you didn’t need to arrange anything. Not so now days, most our family funerals are followed up with a meeting at a restaurant. My mothers family is all Irish and there wasn’t anything at the wake to eat or drink. Maybe a few men passing a flask in the sitting area or the parking lot. Newer funeral homes in our area offer a room with some bottled water. After my mothers funeral 21 years ago, I was so exhausted I left her house after everyone had food and drinks. I got to my house and stripped off my funeral fare as I made my way to bed, where I slept for hours. I don’t think I ate and I surely didn’t drink. Exhaustion took over.

Sandy congrats on the radio gig. So exciting! And you are a blessing to your HK during this time.

Betrayal, Misty sounds like she had a great visit at the vets, treats and all. Your dad receiving that very nice award is such an honor to his service and his memory. My sisters father served and I believe he was the first American in some little town in Italy. The back story, her dad died while our mom was pregnant with her. Many newspaper clippings are kept in the cedar chest he bought his bride. He received the Purple Heart and other military awards, but nothing like your dad.

Petite so sorry to hear you’re not feeling well. Hoping it passes quickly and you’re feeling better soon.

It sounded like everyone’s Memorial Day went smoothly. At the party we attended eating potato salad and macaroni salad felt like tasting summer! So Jackie I get why your salad was the hit, nothing like eating homemade.

I dropped off my car for an oil change late last night, work was to be done at 7:15 AM today. As I got up there was a text that it’s all good and ready to be picked up. They keep trying to buy my car, which I’m not selling. But the good part of that is they keep offering free/complimentary oil changes. And I will take them!

Next couple days look like they’ll hit in the 90’s. But low humidity. We’re packing for Ireland. I have a converter and an adapter w USB ports. A cousin was going to drop off a European hairdryer so I don’t have to bring one and fear frying it. She told a story of a gf with her in Ireland melting her curling iron. I don’t want to be that person.

• betrayal
    Options

Right now Misty is pawing the laptop keyboard and she actually may be a better typist.

Cindyny: Most hotels in Europe and Ireland provide hairdryers due to the difference in electrical systems. They are built in their bathrooms and hard wired. They don't work as fast as ours but do get the job done. So you may find you never need to use the one you are packing. Access to electrical outlets is usually limited though so you may find you need to unplug something to plug in your converters. Enjoy your trip. It is such a beautiful country. Have some porter cake if you are offered it. The Guiness beef stew is good as well. If you see Boxty try it as well; it is a potato pancake wrapped around a beef stew filling and is delicious. No calories unless you swallow!

Your sister's father has a Purple Heart and that is to be applauded for his valor. A higher recognition than the military medals my Dad received for his service which was quite a few Bronze stars as a unit and as an individual. Both have served their country well and may they both rest in peace.

petite1: hope you are on the mend soon. So far Tawny has decided to not befriend Misty but I am hoping she will come around. She needs a companion other than us and Misty is like a Walmart greeter. She gets along well with our pushy dog and lets her know when she is pushing her boundaries by growling loudly. It is funny to hear.

Chisandy: your musical gig sounds wonderful. I wish we could hear it in this neck of the woods. Hope you have an appreciative audience. Hope everything runs smoothly for the funeral and meal afterwards.

Sunny but supposedly hazy due to fires in Nova Scotia. High in the 80's and 90's by Friday. Not looking forward to that.

Regan moans when the phone rings as if it hurts her ears. She also will pace like she wants us to answer immediately. It is funny to watch and hear.

I am trying to get laundry done today. Need to get back to it. Have a nice day everyone.

• mavericksmom
    Options

Petite, I hope you feel better! Sometimes sleep is just what your body needs!

Cindy, you sound like you are very well prepared for your trip to Ireland! Ireland and Italy are the only two European countries I would really like to visit. There are others that sound interesting, but those are the two I would really like to visit.

This morning I took several bags and a box of donations to a local thrift store. The store benefits children in need. I felt good about letting the things go and hope they bring joy or ease to someone else.

I still have much to go through, but feel my mind is in a good place to let go of things. I honestly wonder why I kept so much. I keep asking myself if I really want my kids to have to go through all these things some day and the answer is a resounding "NO!"

Sandy, I hope all goes well for you and your DHK today!

Betrayal, so glad Misty had a good vet. visit! She is soooo cute!

Keywestfan, I too get nervous in group exercise programs. Nice that you have such a calming instructor for Tai Chi!

illinois, sounds like you had a wonderful Memorial Day! Sometimes the best times just happen, without a lot of planning or stress! Nice too that you made extra potato salad! Yep, sometimes things have a way of working out just right!

Another beautiful sunny day here in PA! The birds are singing, we have three rabbits that have been enjoying our grass….and my flowers! ugh! DH got some spray to put on flowers and garden plants to keep the rabbits from munching on them! I think they already ate over half my lily buds!

• mcbaker
    mcbaker Member Posts: 1,798
    edited May 2023
    Options

Been too busy resolving some problems lately to post.

Someone has been bothering my dog at night. People wandering around outside and talking loudly intentionally or unintentionally? Many trains going through (we are even privileged enough to be on an Amtrac line)? Someone looking into the pile of stuff I have on my porch for the parish rummage sale? I got a radio to play classic rock all night (turned low enough that I can't hear it). Giving Tippy a Benadryl at bedtime. Closing the bedroom door and closing my bedroom window helped, so I closed both windows and turned on the air conditioner. Put up a sign "Please be quiet between 9:00 PM and 7:00 AM. I may be half-deaf, but my guard-dog isn't." The exhaustion is real, and my emotions are in bad shape. Tippy is even waking me at 4:00 because he thinks it is time to get up. No, that is when my sleeping pill wears off. So, anyway, on to the next.

I have been looking for a futon, because I gave away an old sleeper sofa. Found one in a nearby town, but needed to get someone to haul it. A friend who knows more people than me was going to look for someone to get it, but the truck they found was too small. I went to Mass last night, and the deacon said that he could contact the KofC to find someone. The pickup day is today. They found two guys to do it, and I have been busy on my laptop and phone getting it set up. I was even beginning to develop a plan B. Tense.

In better (?) news, insurance has approved my knee replacement.

My mother was cremated, as she died in Wisconsin and we needed to take her back to Illinois. Also a family reunion was part of the plan. We had a funeral Mass, then burial next to Dad. Then we went to the VFW for a meal and "celebration of life". My aunt is 96 and has her funeral planned down to the last detail.

Cindy, I am downright jealous. Have fun. I sorted all my USB cords and got a charging station, so that they are all in one place. I put a handful of spare micros, as well as some wall-warts in the pile for the rummage sale. Jackie, your new cat is beautiful. I hope the feline social order settles down positively. Petite, I hope your health improves quickly. I haven't had a cold or the flu for years. I think I shared last year about Dad. Not exceptional, other than being my father. Army in the Pacific. Sandy, I have that website and time noted.

• illinoislady
    Options

Oh what a pretty day outside. What I so love (if it stays cool enough) about the minute Spring has come and starts to leave. A nice little lull where it is not too cold day or night, sometimes a gentle breeze to let waft through the house, but mainly sun most of the day. We have not had to turn on the a/c as of yet, but do worry. I recall one yr. when w/o warning temps went up into three figures and stayed there, never getting below 100 till Fall. Sure disliked that one.

Cindy, I'm sure you said, but what kind of car do you have? Sounds like you have very fast service and that alone would be worth going many times. No one is asking for my car and they won't because it is too old and way too many miles, but I love almost everything about it and dread the day if it should come that I need a replacement.

Mary, in my book, just your Dad being in the service was enough. My dad was as well, but nothing of note. He was in a second group of people who didn't' originally qualify for draft. He had hearing problems early on. But more were needed so he got called up. He loved (I think discipline was always something he appreciated) his time in the service. Unfortunately, a Drill Sargent took discipline very seriously and when my dad didn't hear a command, hauled off and walloped him in the ear — ruining the hearing in that ear. He ended up out of the service and on disability the rest of his life.

He still loved the time he was in service and was very happy when I joined. He hoped (as did my Mom) that I would stay, but while I liked what I did, I did not find it fulfilling.

I am getting used to Misty's name now. At first I wasn't sure, but at the same time I've heard ( and it has mainly worked out that way) that cats in particular seem to respond well to names with an ee sound on the end. So we have Alfie, Charli, Tiny, Lucky, Buddy, and Dilly and Dally.

((((Petite)))) hope you feel a lot better.

Hmmm, I have definitely been a warehouse for way too much. Also, I had to buy a new shelf for my pantry to hold pots and pans. I should have had one there all along as it has sure made things easier than having them in the under-counter cabinet right by my stove. That was always a disaster, but no other place. Then when I gave my freezer away — thank goodness the lightbulb turned on as to how to use that nice space.

I have too many books and I'm going to have to decide what to part with for sure. Some things I'm holding onto as my SIL's brother just moved here last month and will soon enough be looking for a place of his own and I can help I think — a fair amt.

Rambled enough I think. Hope you all have a beautiful day.

• mcbaker
    mcbaker Member Posts: 1,798
    Options

The futon story was a comic opera. I originally expressed interest in every futon in the area at Marketplace. There was one particularly nice one for 125$ in LaCrosse. There were also two blue ones for 60$, 35$ each in a town south of here. The one in LaCrosse had always had a plastic cover with a zippered green jersey cover over that. Really choice. So a seller responded and I made a deal with her. I thought I was buying one of the blue ones.

In conversing with her today, I discovered that she was in LaCrosse. OK. The guys got there, and called me. I had given them 35$ for the futon and an extra 30$ gas money. The futon was 125$ What?? What color is the cushion? Green. The 35$ one was blue. He offered to pay the remainder and I could pay him when he returned. I wrote out a check to him for a little bit more. I have a quality futon.

• cindyny
    Options

Betrayal, we’re moving about the country, staying mostly in Airbnb’s. First 3 nights are in Dublin at a hotel, but we’re not in a hotel again until the night before departure. I’ll look for some porter cake, the Guinness beef stew, and the Boxty. All sound delicious to me.

Mavericksmom, we visited Ireland 27 years ago, west coast, but we’re sure a lot has changed. We went to Italy in 2009 for about 10 days, traveling by train. Started in Rome, then Florence, and Venice. Then we flew out of Milan. We could have spent a lifetime in Rome, so much history to see. While we were there they were digging an area for a parking lot and discovered some ancient articles. History popping up everywhere.

Mary it was a good idea to turn on the radio at night for Tippy. We used to do that for our dog as we left for work in the morning. Your futon story worked out well in the end, with the quality futon becoming yours.

Jackie the car they want up here in NY is a 2019 Chevy Impala, with under 30k miles on it. But in Florida they’d take my 2009 Chevy Malibu with 68k miles. The last time I brought the Malibu in for an oil change, they put an offer to buy it on my dashboard. We laughed when I got home with that. It was a super low ball number, but it wasn’t for sale no matter.

We got the water hose out of the garage tonight and hooked it up. It was too hot to do during the heat of the day. I was able to give a good soaking to my perennial plants, and the 2 hanging baskets. Our back lawn looks as dry as hay. I put out some solar lights too. I like looking out seeing them. Roses look ready to bloom, a few other plants too. I also see no sign of some perennials I planted last year. Maybe they’re summer plants. I’ll know for sure later in June.

• 1946taco
    1946taco Member Posts: 252
    Options

Yes Jackie, a belated thank you for your service. My Dad was on the Enterprise as a radar tech. Ken's family of doctors have all served. I have pictures of his grandfather who served in WWI in the Army Corp, his father who ran the optomology service for the Americans in England in WWII and Ken in his AF uniform - he was in from 1970-80. His Dad got a Purple Heart but like many of his generation he wouldn't talk about his service. Told his sons he got it falling off a bicycle.

I've been working on my Mom's genealogy but really should get those records before DH dies. I think Ken's nephew would also like to have them. My nephew took my Dad's medals which had been nicely framed.

Seems as if funeral decisions are still influenced by religion, location, and ethnic traditions. We expect to be cremated with no service. We don't want anyone to have the frustrations that Sandy has had getting her HK organized.

What I should be doing, as many of you are, is discarding stuff that I don't use and Debbie won't want. Am currently trying to get one of my 6 great-nieces or 1 great-nephew to take my mother's china that is sitting in Debbie's closet. She hasn't had it out of the box since I sent it to her 15 years ago.

Sorry to hear about the "minor" illnesses. Everyone around here is really suffering with allergies but we have been pretty good.

Happy Wednesday.

Marge

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,829
    Options

We have burial plots in my family cemetery and have stipulated in our will that we want a simple graveside burial service with family. No funeral home wake or service. We don't have children to consider.

I finally broke down and turned on the a/c yesterday afternoon. Fortunately, both units are working. A thunderstorm cooled things off after dark so we were able to open up and sleep comfortably with fans running. By this morning we had pulled up the light comforter.

I have women's golf league and am ready to drive our golf cart to the course. I was thinking we would start at 9 am but I called the course and learned we're starting at 10. So I have some more computer time.

Good news on the insurance approval, Mary, and on the futon.

Hope the performance goes well, Sandy.

Hope you're feeling better today, Petite.

The weather forecast is for a string of hot days and chance of thunderstorms in the pm. Sounds a lot like home but here we do cool off at night.

A good Thursday to all.

• mavericksmom
    Options

taco, sadly, I don't think good china is something most young people want these days. My china will go to my daughter. My DH and I honeymooned along the Chesapeake Bay and Williamsburg. Back in the 1970's when we were married, there was a place called Williamsburg Pottery. They sold china and my DH and I had such fun picking out our pattern. We took pieces of paper and wondered the aisles writing down our favorites, then we would compare. We kept narrowing down the list and finally picked our pattern, Noritake's Marywood. I still love it as much now as I did when we bought it. Sadly, we no longer use it for holidays now that my days of hosting large dinners is over.

Sun is shining again! I never signed up for the gym. I am afraid of getting sick. I texted a co-worker yesterday and was surprised when I didn't hear back from her. She is quite a bit younger than me. I got a text from her this morning and she apologized for not answering my text but said she has been sick with "head and stomach" issues!

I don't know if my concerns about the gym is an excuse or honest fear? I had asked my cardiologist last year about going back to the gym, of course that was before my third Dx with breast cancer, but he approved of my using a gym. I can't exercise with a mask on. At this point in time I am feeling more like I need to go to the gym and take the risk. The health benefits seem to outweigh the risk of sickness.

I need to get out and away from home a bit on a daily basis. I need it for my mental health. I envy all of you who have DH's who do things with you, walks, travel, family time. My DH can't or won't do much of anything. Going somewhere, even to the store, with him, is a production. I love him, but I am having such a hard time dealing with the feeling of being trapped. I need some "me" time, especially now that we are moving his bedroom down stairs. I am feeling cramped as I had many things in the room that will soon be his bedroom. I also feel I am making more changes than he is.

Mary, sorry to read about your futon fiasco! Glad it all worked out for the better.

Am I the only one confused on the cats and names? I know Betrayal got the new kitten, Misty, but did illinoislady also get a cat and name it Misty? Probably just me and my crazy mind these days, but sometimes I get confused on who here did what and when!

I decided to face my fear of sickness and go sign up for the gym! I also want to pop into a store run by Habitat for Humanity to look at the furniture they have for sale. I am looking for a new dresser and a smaller kitchen table.

I hope everyone has a good day today!

• cindyny
    Options

Taco my dad was on the Enterprise as a cook. He said the cooks all ate well. At home if he cooked, only if my mom was in the hospital (rarely), he’d tell us stories of peeling potatoes for hours. And he’d joke about scrambled eggs for just us vs a ship full of men.

Carole we have no plots and are pretty undecided over burial vs cremation. We talked about it years back but never really did anything. I’ll have to bring that subject back up.

I too should clean out stuff, the Swedish death clean, so others don’t have to. 30 plus years of living here I know the corners of the attic could tell stories. I say this at least 1x a year but don’t actually do much about it.

My mom passed and left me her good silver. Sad to say it sits under my bed in its wooden box, never used. My only suggestion on anyone’s good china is to use it every day, or at least once a week. It was purchased to enjoy, so why not now. Same with my mothers silver. I should take it to the Florida house where we celebrate Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years and use it.

I don’t have to run anywhere today and I see that as a blessing. Yesterday after picking up my car I went to CVS to grab Claritin D for the trip. And of course I got there at 1:29, they take a lunch 1:30-2. So I left knowing I’d have to go back again after dinner.

75 out, heading up to 91. My lawn looks like hay. Such is life! Stay cool and enjoy the day.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,867
    Options

MM, I totally understand the trapped feeling. Before he went to memory care I couldn't leave DH alone for more than a few minutes. A niece came to stay with him when I had doctor appointments. My DH has Parkinson's along with dementia and now has to use a wheelchair. We can't take him out because we can't handle the transfer from chair to car and vice versa. I feel a little guilty that I'm trying to build a live alone, but I really need to do that.

• cardplayer
    Options

I don’t know where the days go. DH and I continue our daily walks. We’ve switched to mornings to avoid the heat. We wake up to 50degrees and by noon and beyond it’s in the 80s and humid. My stomach is giving me a few issues which it does from time to time. I need to change my diet again, maybe reduce to even smaller amounts of food per meal. Same thing happened last year and my GI tested me for SIBO, which was negative.

The ladies in the neighborhood met yesterday afternoon for our monthly get together. All retirees who moved to the area from elsewhere in the last 5 years. We rotate houses and have light snacks. We may try to start playing Rummikub again if there is interest.

Glad you finally got the futon home Mary. Sounds like it was a bit of an ordeal.

I hope you feel better Petite.

Mavericksmom - maybe you can visit the gym when that are are not busy. I’m sure the staff can tell you when they have less people using the equipment.

Illinois - we go though our books every once in a while and donate them to the local hospice. I should get an updated library card and install the Libby app so I can do ore audio books. Just been lazy about reading lately.

Cindy - sounds like to trip prep is coming along. When are you going again?

Enjoy golfing today Carole.

I hope everyone is doing well and is have a wonderful day.

• mavericksmom
    Options

wren, I know what you mean! I have been mentally trying to start preparing for a life alone that I expect will happen in the not too distant future. I am very thankful DH can still get into a car. I wouldn't be able to afford putting my DH into a memory care unit. So far his memory is good. We couldn't afford the cost of long term care insurance. Having long term care insurance is also a requirement to get into many retirement communities.

I never made it to the gym. I headed out, but my car radio and the screen that shows apps and my back up view, were not working. So, I turned around and came home. I called the service dept and have an appointment tomorrow morning. I hope it just needs a new fuse and doesn't cost a fortune!

I also got a text from my DS. He lost his job due to the company being bought out. He said 8/12 in his dept were let go. I think this happens more often than not now days. I hope he finds something he is passionate about, or at least has interest in. He had so many talents, but none of his jobs seems to really build on them. He has done very well at each job he has had, and this is the first time he has been let go, so I see it as a positive, a push to do something he really loves! At least there is no shortage of jobs in his field.

• illinoislady
    edited June 2023
    Options

Freedom is not simply the circumstances that allow you to do whatever you want.  Freedom is not only the opportunity to choose.  Freedom is the strength of character to choose and to do what is right. . .. The foundation of freedom is not power or choice.  Freedom is upheld not by men and women in government, but by people who govern themselves. Matthew Kelly

• illinoislady
    Options

I am really late today. Going on 8 p.m. and I still have a little bit more work to do but need this break. We turned on our a/c today. Dh and I likely could have waited, but the kids have Dh's old room. The duck work in there was never very good ever — and they keep the door closed as Kate sleeps during the day — so the room is quite stuffy.

She would like to have it be 68 or so, but we would not only be extremely uncomfortable, but I'm sure we would not be able to pay the bill even though most of our bills are on a budget program. Since we do have air that is very slow in the room we are thinking of trying a portable cooling unit. It just might give her the freezing temps she wants while leaving us to enjoy a much higher setting out here.

My mother didn't have China, but she did have silverware — not sure who she gave it too, but actually glad it wasn't me. It is not in my make-up to want to polish silverware the few times it might be used. I only have a very few things that were my mother's, but I do treasure them. All are relatively small so not a huge problem to keep. I hope my daughter will keep them when the time comes, but you never quite know about young people for sure.

One of these days — hopefully not long from now, I plan to go through most of the keepsakes and write up what information I have on many of them. Things that likely would not necessarily be remembered if I did not write these things down. Like the little brown turtle my dad bought me when I was fairly young, and he had to go to Chicago for something to do with his medical issues from the service. It has a movable tail and head, so a slight touch and they would move. Sure they cost next to nothing back in those days ( 1952 or so) although there generally was next to nothing in the pockets in our family then as well. I still have this little turtle — and though it is nothing, it is 71 yrs. old right now, and older when I turn it over into someone else's care.

Wren, and others. I understand to a degree about being trapped. I sat for Dementia/Alsheimer's people for their family. It was difficult for the family to have the outings the rest of us take for granted. I was fortunate to be able to go home after three or four hours — didn't have to worry about overnight or other issues that might keep one "busy" at all hours. So, while in some ways their might be a small feeling of guilt that you are enjoying some freedom, you have earned every bit of it. Even being much younger and usually staying fairly short duration, it could be wearing. Thank goodness I mainly enjoyed being able to help people live life whether they were the patient or the 24/7 caregiver.

I think enough from me since you will find this so late. Thinking of you all, even if I didn't mention you by name.