Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Options

Comments

• cardplayer
    cardplayer Member Posts: 2,051
    Options

The winds must have shifted today and we’re smelling more smoke than yesterday and eyes and throat are bothered a bit more. There’s also a haze covering the usual blue sky. I read there’s 450 wild fires in Canada right now. How sad.

Woke up early to the sound of a cat getting sick. Our one cat has a sensitive stomach, but it’s been a couple of weeks since she’s gotten sick. I’m the one with the hearing loss, but DH manages to sleep through these type of noises. I got up, found the mess and cleaned up. Figured I’d do a load of laundry and start my day.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,129
    Options

Okay, so we just went from an orange air quality warning to a red one. It is very hazy and last night the smell of smoke was pervasive. The smell of smoke is still evident today so I am staying inside. After mulching yesterday I was coughing quite a bit and I think it was due to the air quality. We had a good breeze yesterday so that helped but no breeze today.

So I will focus on laundry and indoor chores which always lose out to being outside. I need to vacuum the bedrooms upstairs and dust, too. Knees are really sore today so will give them a rest.

Tawny has been spending time in the area of Misty but is still hissing at her. She can leap the child gate we use to contain both Regan and Misty so she escapes. Misty is interested in her but non-reactive to her hissing.

I think I know why the rescue named her Whispers because she is soooooooooo loud and vocal. Not because she was reserved and quiet, LOL.

Carole: the playground work sounds like a good workout. Do you do maintenance there?

Hope everyone has a good day.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,831
    Options

We're managers at Pine Hollow. I weed the playground and keep the laundry room clean. Before the owners moved here last year, we mowed the grass but now the husband does that job. We were paid for the mowing and that money helped us pay for having our lawn in Louisiana mowed.

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,137
    Options

Carole, sounds like you have a great partnership with the resort! Playgrounds are where a lot of good memories were formed during my childhood, and those of my kids and grandkids! I can't imagine a community park without a playground!

I was friends with the nephew of late night tv show host, Johnny Carson, when I was in Jr. High School. Jeff liked my BFF and I liked his friend. Anyway, our neighborhood playground had large round cement segments, like sections of a sewer system, which were painted bright colors and little ones used to like to climb on them or run through. We teenagers liked to sit inside them and I was sitting inside one with Jeff when he told me my very first "dirty joke!" I still remember it, but won't repeat it. Not exactly horrible by today's standards but still had "shock and grossed out" value for the time. I wonder whatever became of him?

taco, so glad your talk went well! I know I would have loved to have heard it!

Sandy, I am so sorry I missed your performance last night. I wish I had a good excuse but I simply got sidetracked and forgot! I had it written in my planner, and I thought about it about around 7:00 but totally forgot until this morning when I checked my planner again! Next time I will set the alarm on my phone to remind myself! I really wanted to hear you!

illinoislady, hope Millie is doing better, starting to adjust to her new family. Poor thing, I am so glad you rescued her!

I went to the mall today, firsrt time in a very long time! I like Bath and Bodyworks hand soaps and I wait for them to go on sale. They don't have them on sale often, and are almost always only one day. Normally they cost $7.95, but I got them for $2.99 each. I bought 6 and they will last us all summer. I also stopped in JC Penney's and bought two summer nightgowns, also on sale. I needed some, so I was there with a purpose. It was strange as they seemed to have a lot of employees working but only one register station open on the lower level. When I got in line, yes, there was a line of about 6 people in front of me and 4 in back of me, they only had one cashier! Thankfully two more joined in so it wasn't as much of a wait as I expected.

I stayed indoors today because the smoke from the Canadian fires is so bad, it looks like red haze, and smells horrible. I hope the schools kept the kids inside today.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 34,166
    Options

I have become my own version of an optimist.  If I can't make it through one door, I'll go through another door--or I'll make a door.  Something terrific will come no matter how dark the present.

Rabindranath Tagore

• illinoislady
    Options

Here I am at last. I had an entry typed but was only getting ready to hit submit when my computer hit a snag of some sort and I had to wait for it to re-boot itself which it does. That did mean though that the entry was long gone. Just as well maybe.

When I got on the site through the bookmarks it said I had five new entries, but at that time only Carole's wa visible. Sigh!!! Was going to, since I was on late today, put in the quote and then type an entry and go find the rest of the entries later — and respond again a second time.

It is not the second time, but my computer glitch seemed to have set the entries back out for me to get too, so all's well that end's well.

I was all ready earlier this a.m. Was in fact sitting here getting this done when the phone rang. My friend Jo needed me to come over and stay with Dr. B while she ran a needed errand. Dr. B usually doesn't need anyone around all the time, but he had a medication reaction so wasn't a good idea for him to be alone while he recovers from the reaction.

When I got done I came home and fixed breakfast, and then sat down afterwards (fell asleep) while my medications took hold. So, I'm quite late again. I would do anything I could for Jo and Dr. B. They have been so good to me through the years of our friendship, but it is indicative of how I can so easily get off track. I had a list today and I am going to definitely be working on that same list tomorrow. This happens so often. My list changes but often it bears little resemblance to what may have started out. Things go off and on depending on what comes up this morning while I'm doing something else. 😯

About those weeds. I have so many outside right now. I have 4 beds (3 small, 1 large) and I try to get out there right after a rain if not too hot and muggy since they are very easy to get then. Today's rain was not enough to put good moisture in the ground. So, every time I go by the beds I try to grab a few of any of the bigger weeds since I can get a good grip and take them out leaving the smaller for when it is good and wet. It is always though a bit of a chore. Mainly due to having to take the Carvedilol now. Sometimes my back even huts clean up into my neck. Thankfully it will usually subside pretty good if I just go and sit down. Still when you have work to do it is a huge annoyance.

Sure glad it is mainly overcast today since we had several of those little pop-up showers. Sun comes out now and then but doesn't stay. It felt almost cold this morning but had more to do with the dampness of the little shower.

Hope you all have a really good day.

• betrayal
    Options

Just went outside to water plants on patio and you can see the smoke laying on the bushes. Sky is an eerie yellow color and the sun looks like a huge orange ball and not like the sun at all. We are in the purple air quality index which is considered very unhealthy with risks for all and not just those with pre-existing conditions. Smell of smoke is worse. I cannot imagine what it is like in Quebec. They are recommending the use of N-95's if you must be outdoors for any time.

Quickly watered plants and will stay inside now. Tomorrow is not expected to be much better in regards to air quality. So what I didn't get done today, will wait until tomorrow. If you are experiencing this issue in your area, stay indoors.

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,506
    Options

Got home this morning from my DD and DSIL. The baby is so yummy!! She changed so much in the 10 days we were there. It's nice to be home but it was hard leaving the munchkin. Still sinking in that we have a grand daughter/that we are grandparents. She is 3 weeks.

We are not sports people but DH is watching the Nuggets vs Heats game.

• illinoislady
    Options

So happy you are having such a great grandparenthood Karen. It is a marvelous and very beautiful time and event when your children recreate you and themselves. In fact, it's priceless.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,253
    Options

Fear not if you missed the show last night—WDCB will be archiving it on its site (wdcb.org) for a couple of weeks. It went very well last night—amazingly, we had enough material from the concert set list we'll be doing at the festival Sat. morning to do a half-hour concert for volunteers & donors, and another half-hour for the live-in-studio. We will be back on later this year on our own, not as promotion for an event.

As for the fest, I'm a bit apprehensive about the weather. Sat. should be fine until nightfall, so we'll be able to get in our mainstage concert in the morning as well as the jam we're leading and the humor-songwriting workshop. But Sunday is predicted to be quite "iffy:" they've upped the risk of "scattered showers" to thunderstorms. And we have stagecraft, instrumental duet tips, and (the one I've been sweating bullets over) how to adapt non-dulcimer songs to mountain dulcimer workshops. (Will be demoing & teaching some Lightfoot, Springsteen, Zevon and perhaps REM). But historically, we seem to get rained out of our last couple of Sunday workshops. (One year there was even a tornado warning requiring the park be evacuated). We get paid no matter what, but still…. (Might see about putting PDFs of my course handouts online in case that happens).

Unlike most festivals, where workshops are basically themed performers' rounds, this fest's workshops are hands-on: instructors demo, take questions and lead students through the pieces. So it's a bummer when we don't get to interact with festival-goers and see them go home having learned something new from us.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,253
    Options

Oh, and for all of you back East, please stay safe and wear a mask outdoors—preferably an N95. That smoke may also have chemicals and nanoparticles of metal, according to meteorologists interviewed tonight. No good for even the sturdiest set of lungs—much less older, asthmatic, or weakened from chest radiation. My BFF is from the Annapolis Valley of NS—and her brother, a retired Mountie, lives in both Halifax and New Minas/Wolfville. Can't wrap my head around the Maritimes burning. Rockies, western prairie, even the high desert of eastern BC are all vulnerable in a drought-and-wind situation, but NS? Yikes. And in NYC, sporting events (including Sox/Yanks) and even some B'way shows had to be postponed.

• mavericksmom
    Options

The Phillies postponed their game last night due to air quality. Horrible last night. FAA ordered a ground stop in Philadelphia, Newark and LaGuardia.

It was like a ghost town around here last evening. Of course most everyone stayed inside, the smell was horrible outdoors! None of the usual neighbors walking by, no kids on the ball fields at the end of our street, few cars on the road behind us. Combined with the red haze, it felt super creepy!

Our air seems better today, but still not good.

• cardplayer
    Options

So glad you had fun with your granddaughter Karen. Even though we’re only an hour away, my DD sends me photos and videos of GD frequently. I marvel at how much she’s changed in the last 9 months when I look though the photos. Enjoy.

Glad you had a good concert Sandy. I hope the weather stays nice for your next performance.

We have poor air here again today. We can see the haze and of course smell the smoke. We should probably curtail our outdoor walks until the air improves. We have outdoor music event tomorrow night at the museum, part of their summer music series. I’m hoping we have good air quality tomorrow evening. It’s a local band that plays 70s music. We’ve seen the lead before at a local place. He’s very good.

Have a healthy and stress free day.

• illinoislady
    Options

We receive from life, from every experience, from each interaction, according to what we have given. When we commit ourselves fully to an experience, it will bless us. When we give ourselves wholly to any moment, our awareness of reality will be heightened.

Karen Casey

Each Day A New Beginning.

• illinoislady
    Options

The sun is out here. Not as bright as the usual. Not sure because I don't pick up much smell but St. Louis, Missouri is under weather alert for smoke, so I am thinking we are getting some 'cover' from that w/o the strong odors or particles. Just a bit of a guess though.

MM I can almost get that ghost town effect. It can be very quiet where we live but a deep darkish orangey haze would create an absolutely eerie sensation. Hope we don't get that here.

Got a few extras to take of but nothing super pressing.

Heard back from Dr. Barrientos. Utah once again was not able to produce my urine test. I seem to have had the same issue as before. I have to use special wipes (hope this is not tmi) after bm's and it has an effect on the test results in some way. The test would actually be a warning that you may now have deep tissue cancer which is more dangerous and harder to deal with than what I originally had. So far, through all of the cancer findings, it stayed local and went NED sometime around when I had the open-heart surgery. Can't pin it down since at the time of the surgery I was due to have the urinalysis. Couldn't have it until almost two full cycles (6mos.) had passed.

So, we will just have me go and do the scope and hopefully all will be fine.

Hope you all have a good day and can stay in if you are having problems from the Canadian fires. Sure hope they are able to get a handle soon on all of it.

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,151
    Options

We’re traveling around Dublin. Weather on the cool side but we’re dressing for it. No rain, I should add the word “yet.” We put in near 12k steps today. Spent the day at the National Museum of Ireland, Art & History. Tomorrow trying to get to the Ntl Museum of Ireland, Archeology - south of the River Liffey. Our hotel is Hampton by Hilton on the north side. Dinners have been great, beers too. I’ve always liked Smithwicks red ale but over here it’s so creamy I probably won’t like it back home. Two more days here and we head to Belfast.

And yes, 5 hour time difference from NY and I’m wide awake since 4 AM. I’m blaming it on the tiramisu I ate for dessert. Lots of chocolate, coffee and rum too. I don’t drink coffee or take in much of any caffeine. I may skip breakfast if I can get back to sleep.

I’ve had some mishaps… I’d call them. I have a converter and an adapter for the European electrical outlets. I put in my white noise machine and it was working but with everything the plugs fell out of the outlet. When I replugged it all in, the white noise machine would not work. Tonight I had my curling iron working well, plug stayed in. Then I noticed it had turned off. Tried to turn it on again and nothing. Someone mentioned hairdryers being provided, nothing here so I’m glad I had the European one with me. But it can’t be used in the bathroom - that plug is only for shavers. A man must have designed it. 🍀

Everyone be cautious with the air quality. In Albany, NY a lot (if not all) outdoor sports have been canceled. My sister sent me a photo of the sun, very eerie. She said it also smells. Be safe!

• betrayal
    Options

It was me that mentioned that hairdryers are normally a built-in in European hotels. You can also ask at the desk if they provide them. We have a heavy duty converter that we take but limit it to one item per use being plugged in. You may have overloaded the circuit with multiple items plugged in. Electricity is expensive there so they limit the number of outlets accessible within the room and the bathroom being reserved for shavers only is pretty standard.

Belfast is not as geared towards tourism as the south of Ireland is. Enjoy the Giants Causeway if you are headed there. It is fascinating to see the steps.

Air quality is still above normal but it is less hazy than it has been. Have postponed dog walks for the last 3 days and Regan is confused but it is better for her health and that of DH. Sunny but only into 70's today.

See ortho for aspiration of knees and injection of Orthovisc today and hoping to be able to walk without pain. The last 4 weeks since cortisone injections, which did not work, have been tough. Used to walking for exercise but that has been limited by pain.

Hope everyone has a good day.

• cardplayer
    Options

Love the photos Cindy. Sounds like you’re having a great time.

Hope the ortho is able to give you some relief for your knee pain betrayal.

Our air quality is much better today - we’re yellow level this morning and we can actually see some blue sky. I notice I’m not congested after our walk this morning. We’re 80 miles NW of Washington DC. They’re having more of an issue with air quality today. Yesterdays NATS game was cancelled, which was just as well. They probably would have lost.

We’ll go see the concert tonight. They sent out an email that the show would go on. At $5 a ticket (if you join the museum for the season) it’s a bargain. It’ll be nice to listen to sit outside and listen to music.

Tomorrow I’ll attend a support group where a local practitioner and cancer survivor discusses her expertise around reflexology and energy work. Looking forward to it.

Have a wonderful day.

• illinoislady
    Options

Giving encouragement to others is a most welcome gift, for the results of it are lifted spirits, increased self-worth, and a hopeful future. Florence Littauer

• illinoislady
    Options

Wow, sounds like for the most part everything you've done in Ireland has been very enjoyable. Making great memories and living great stories for later when you are home Cindy.

Looks nice and quiet outside today. Sun doesn't look super bright, but we are surrounded by trees here. I do think even though I smell nothing that the soke in other areas around us may be having a dampening effect.

Nothing planned today for sure but taking around a couple of paid bills. Have everything pretty much paid up which feels good.

Hope your shots give you a lot of relief Betrayal. Be great if that coincides with Regan getting out for her walks again as well.

Hope you all have a good day. Hi to all. Mary hoping things smooth for you and saying hi to Puffin as well.

• betrayal
    Options

Had a post written and it suddenly disappeared! Had effusions in both knees and know when I have them because I cannot extend leg fully and it is very painful to walk. Since I had them aspirated on 5/5 he felt I would not have effusions today. On 5/5 I had about 3/4 of a tsp in left knee and 1 teaspoon in right knee. Today I had 2/3 of an oz in my left knee and 1 oz in the right knee so a definite increase in just a month. He asked about my seeing the Ortho surgeon so I told him how he said "no" for now and to continue the Orthovisc injections. He was surprised and read me the note he could see which said I am a candidate for left knee replacement due to bone on bone. He suggested I could have surgery 3 months after I receive these injections. I told him "nope" I'm going to Sicily and Italy so they better work so I can walk. We also have a Panama Canal cruise scheduled for January so any surgery would have to be postponed until next spring at the earliest when the driveway would be clear of any chance of ice or snow. He felt this may be too long to wait. WTH?

Hate when they play these games. They did the same thing with my pre-cancerous appendiceal polyp and I ended up having the surgery a year later after being told the chances of it reappearing were almost nil. Well the polyp didn't get the message. Annoyed with them today.

Misty has hairball issues and is vomiting her breakfast daily. Asked dear niece who is a vet tech what her vet prescribes and will order hairball prevention diet food for her. I have a coupon from Chewy so will use it to get a bag to try. I comb her everyday but she is a groomer so she is still swallowing hair. She is so tiny she can't afford to lose any weight.

Sunny is better today with less haze and smell of smoke is gone. In the 70's so pleasant but still have air quality index in orange level so staying indoors. Hope you have a good day.

• mavericksmom
    Options

Betrayal, several years ago my orthopedic doctor (Rothman Institute), told me that cortisone shots aren't really good to have more than once or twice. He gave me a shot of it in my knee at that appointment, but on the ride home I started feeling strange, my neck started closing in, I thought "dear God, I am going to die from that injection on my way home!" I told myself to relax and the feelings did get better and go away almost as quickly as they came on. I never did tell him about that, but he set me up for the three shots of "gel," for whenever the cortisone wore off. I had the three shot series via a different doctor at Rothman in the fall of 2021 and knock on wood, my knee has been pretty much pain free! I really hope the shot helped you and you are feeling relief from the pain!!!!

Cindy, awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing a little of Ireland with all of us! I hope you continue to have a wonderful trip! I would love to visit Ireland!

illinois, sounds like you are doing well! Are you able to start using your arm again?

Cardplayer, the concert sounds awesome! I love listening to music outdoors, especially when everyone sits on lawn chairs on a grassy yard! My parents lived in Illinois for a few years, and we visited them over fourth of July. Their town had a concert in the park followed by fireworks. Best fourth of July ever! I hope you and your DH have a wonderful time and that your weather is like ours, beautiful and in the 70's with better air quality!

I cleaned out the linen closet today, took everything out, washed the walls and shelves, but new shelf paper down and now need to put back what my DH and I need to be in there. I have some things that need to be relocated or donated/thrown away. Why does one home project morph into a chain of projects? I have my bedroom closet and a cabinet to go through and then the downstairs is done, at least for the time being. The guest room upstairs could not fit a guest! It is full of the over flow of things I needed to move out of the office and closets! Once the downstairs is the way I want it, I will go up into that room and decide what to do with all that "stuff!" Most of it, I hope, will leave our home as a donation or trash!

• mcbaker
    mcbaker Member Posts: 1,798
    edited June 2023
    Options

Betrayal, don't delay this. If you are bone on bone, you are eligible. However, you need to wait three months after an injection, either cortisone or Orthovisc before having surgery. Otherwise, the risk of infection will increase. Draining of Baker's cysts does no good; the cure is knee replacement. And that draining of cysts increases the chances of infection. I have discovered that I have to cut back on knee-related physical activity in order to keep the cysts small, because the larger they get, the more pain. Get yourself another doctor.

I have been busy with three sets of appointments— five appointments in all, this week.

Stuff on the porch is gone, but my back is cramped up, can't finish cleaning it.

• betrayal
    Options

MCB: I don't have Baker's cysts which are behind the knee, I have effusions in the joint. I can flex my knee, just not extend it. Yes, I am eligible but they insist on conservative approach first since the Orthovisc has been giving me relief. It is just the length of relief time between treatments is decreasing. I have 3 more shots over the next 3 weeks and hope they get me through February. This is the Rothman Institute which is the premier orthopedic specialist in the Philadelphia area. Switching doctors would mean switching hospital systems as well and I am not adverse to that if need be. However, that means having to go into the city for surgery instead of using local hospitals.

I am so sick of doctors that I am trying to avoid appointments after these until the fall. I need a breather from them. PCP telling me I need to do weight bearing exercises at least 3 x's per week for osteopenia and when I tell her about knee issues, she is missing the connection of why this is not possible at this moment. Would love to be able to walk like I used to and to garden like I want. If wishes worked I would be statuesque with legs to my armpits, skinny and buxom but that sure as hell does not reflect my current physical appearance nor is it likely to happen.

Hope you can recover from the back cramp to get your porch done.

MM: I have only had cortisone once and will not repeat since it only gave me 2 days of relief. Seems like when the local anesthetic wore off that was it for relief. So maybe the cortisone only gave me 1.5 days? Your reaction was most likely from the lidocaine they mix with the cortisone, not the cortisone.

The items I had stored in my guest room got moved to DD's former bedroom and there they stay nagging me that I need to make major decisions about their disposition. I also need to debulk that closet that I used for summer clothing and travel wear. Since I wear knee high support stockings, the capris I have will get donated since I am not one to wear them now. Choose not to be one who has a gap between tops of stockings and bottom of pants when I sit and all pants I wear now are long legged. I am awaiting a rainy day where I can really attack this closet. DD may claim some of the shorts I have and the rest will go to Purple Heart. So MM, one house project does open a can of worms. Paint a room and then another room looks weary, etc. It's like a house of cards. You may also find that finding a new location means that it is sometimes a stall in making the decision to let it go. If you really needed it, why was it misplaced in your linen closet? I find myself doing the same thing.

Life is full of conundrums and sometimes they can be overwhelming.

• karen1956
    Options

Regarding DH's helping - I'm very fortunate, my husband is awesome. During treatment, he has done all the cooking, cleaning and grocery shopping. He has always done part of the house cleaning as well as the yard. My late MIL was the consumate (sp) housewife - a job that she loved and my husband is so handy and so helpful, where his brother is not.

Mary - sorry that your back is bothering you. Your surgery is coming up.

Betrayal - lots of travel in you future - hopefully your knee won't prevent you from enjoying all the trips

Sandy - wow - didn't realize your HK has been with you so many years. She really is family. I'm sure she appreciated all you did regarding the meals etc for her DH's funeral.

It's been rainy here - we need the moisture - heavy rain storm last night and some rain this afternoon. Fortunately, no hail by us.

Have a good Friday night and Saturday

• mcbaker
    Options

Thanks for the clarification, betrayal.

• mavericksmom
    Options

Betrayal, I hear you on being "so sick of doctors!" I am right there with you! Thanks for the heads up on the lidocaine. I have had lidocaine before, several times, and never had that reaction, but possibly different doses? I don't plan to have cortisone again, so not worried about it.

As for Rothman Institute, I can vouch for them, they are the best in the area! When I had my first total reverse shoulder replacement, only a hand full of US doctors could perform that surgery because it was a newly developed procedure. My surgeon did an arthroscopic procedure first, I think mainly because the TRSR was so new, most likely my insurance required attempting the other first. I had both surgeries done at Jefferson Methodist Hospital in Philadelphia, and my office appointments were at his office in King of Prusia. By 2016 when my other shoulder needed the procedure, they had taken over a former breast cancer hospital in Bensalem PA, only about 20 mins from my house, and I had my surgery there. The only thing about Rothman is that they don't keep patients over the weekend. I was told if I needed to stay another night, they would need to move me to another floor because they don't have nurses over the weekend. (Rothman had a whole floor of the Philadelphia hospital.) I know the same weekend policy is true at their Bensalem Hospital, too.

I see my knee doctor, also a Rothman doctor, either at Bensalem or Newtown, both about the same distance and easy to get to.

Karen, so glad you got to visit with you sweet GD and you DD& DSIL! Do they live near your other DD? Your DH is a keeper!!!!! Mine tries, but needs to be told what to do, and he has a habit of playing little games, like leaving something out so I can see he did something! He has always picked what and when he would do different chores. He never grilled when the kids were young and I really needed the help, he only started grilling after they went to college. Better late than never! He does his own wash, and I am letting him do that as long as he can because now there is so little he can do at his age and with a walking stick in one hand.

Mary, when is your surgery? I hope your back feels better and you are getting better sleep!

Did my normal 7 AM Saturday grocery shopping. I have a whole laundry basket of things to go through from the linen closet. Ugh! Betrayal, you are right, why am I keeping things that I didn't know I had because they were hid away in the linen closet? I just wish the only thing in my linen closet had been the linens!

Sunny and warm today, hope everyone has a lovely weekend!

• illinoislady
    Options

Self-reliance is the only road to true freedom,
    and being one's own person is its ultimate reward.

Patricia Sampson

• karen1956
    Options

MM - I have 3 kids in 3 countries on 2 continents. Son lives about 10-15 minutes from us. Girls are no where close to us or each other. Both in different countries. Till grand baby arrived the distance never bothered me. My kids are all happy where they live. I moved across the country from my parents when I was 20 weeks pregnant with DD#1. When I retire, we will have more flexibility on travel times.

• mcbaker
    Options

My surgery is the 23rd. I have just discovered that all four of my closest relatives cannot come. I suspect my backup plan is already arranged. I am that much more eager to move home, none of the four there, but scads of cousins (and an aunt), and closer to one of the four and the other three can visit more often.