Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• cardplayer
    cardplayer Member Posts: 2,051

Glad you’re settling into your new home reader. Always nice to be able to find the boxes that enable you to have a home cooked meal.

Sorry to hear about your friend Petite. is she able to get any nourishment to maintain weight?

I read about the fog and the accidents in Louisiana Carole. That must be some fog you get this time of year.

Cindy - sounds like you’ve had lots going on the last couple of days. I’m glad you’ve had your thyroid biopsy. Sorry to hear about your sisters medical issues and your partners car problems. Hope things settle down for you.

Illinois - hope you find another urologist that you like as much as Dr. B. Good luck with your next appointment.

Sounds like your car and new iPhone are giving you lots of problems lately Sandy. Hope things improve soon.

Spent the morning cleaning. First windows (inside only) and then started on the inside of the refrigerator. I’ll need to finish the refrigerator on Friday. I did take a break to lift some light weights and do some leg exercises. My PCP recommended strengthening my upper body, so I’ve started with some light weights 3x per weeks. I’ve been doing some leg exercises as suggested by my orthopedic surgeon. We’re still walking 2 miles a day.

I’m hosting about 14 family members for Thanksgiving this year. I use an app call Signup Genius to help with who brings which side dish. I need to order tables, chairs and table cloths/napkins soon.

We’re having great weather. Cool mornings, but warm sunny afternoons. Today it’ll be 77. By Halloween, we’re expecting our first freeze and cooler temperatures. Have a great day.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,130

The super fog the day of the big pileup of vehicles on I-55 was a combination of fog and smoke. A swampy area has been burning a slow burn for weeks. Apparently it was started by lightning. We drove that same stretch of interstate last Friday when the air was clear.

Cardplayer, my sister-in-law Bonnie used to host big family Thanksgiving dinners. I remember one year when their large living room was set up with tables. Sadly she passed away three years ago. We're planning to go to Indiana to have Thanksgiving dinner with Bonnie's daughter and her family. DH loves Thanksgiving. It's his favorite holiday whereas my favorite was always Christmas. Now I don't particularly like any holiday. I mainly tolerate them.

I did my indoor fall decorations in about five minutes. LOL. I removed the bouquet of spring silk flowers in the living room and replaced it with a sunflower bouquet. Likewise I exchanged the arrangement of flowering dogwood branches with an arrangement of boughs of fall leaves for the big black Japanese floor vase. DH bought the big vase in Japan when he was in the army.

My second shipment of Hungry Root meals came today. It's fun unpacking the food. We have four menus to pick from for the next four nights. Several years ago I subscribed to Hello Fresh for a few months. The meals were good but involved quite a bit of preparation at dinner time. The Hungry Root meals last week were simpler and yet good.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,886

The art of contentment is the recognition that the most satisfying and the most dependably refreshing experiences of life lie not in great things but in little.  The rarity of happiness among those who achieved much is evidence that achievement is not in itself the assurance of a happy life.  The great, like the humble, may have to find their satisfaction in the same plain things.

Edgar A. Collard

• illinoislady

It has been an okay day here. Drizzling pretty good after overnight rain as we went to Mt. Vernon to see the Cardiologist. He was mainly happy although he does want me to try to take a bit more Carvedilol. He wanted me to do two tabs in the morning and one in the evening. I thought that was a bit steep of a gradient and talked him into 1 and a half in the morning for a few days and then the one at night. Hopefully, we can do this w/o dipping my blood pressure too much. Even though my ejection fraction was up it is still not enough for me to get on Entresto. I am presuming that Entresto works best on those who have the sort of operation I did and who still maintain a high blood pressure afterwards.

My blood pressure became low and while it is better than it was, I'm still very un-energetic and need at least one nap a day.

I have a Pulmonologist appt. on 6th. of November but haven't heard a word about the Pet Scan yet. Hope they can get it done before I see Dr. Dave. I do not want to re-make that appt. because I have three others already in Nov. I was hoping for none, but that isn't working out too well.

The day's drizzle stopped shortly after we left Mt. Vernon this morning after my appt., but it stayed mostly gray and icky looking. At least it was warmer so wasn't hard to be outside. I do hope tomorrow has some sun though. It doesn't take me long to start reacting to gray overcast days.

Sandy, you are having some rough times. I sure hope it doesn't take too long for things to fall into place much better.

We used to have much bigger family holiday meals together, but so many people have passed on. The rest of us are older now and not in the best shape to host many at a time. I have too many bil's still here as well as my daughter and SIL. SIL has his son, DIL and baby plus his brother. Just too much for me to deal with. Also my eat in kitchen can only seat 6. Could stretch it a bit, but that is why I've pretty much given up the idea of having anyone here. If someone shows up though I invite them to stay.

I hope you all have a really good day.

• harley07
    harley07 Member Posts: 354

Illinoislady - thank you for the quote. So true!

Petite - sorry to hear about your friend. My BIL was treated for neck and tongue cancer earlier this year with chemo and radiation. He also lost 30+ pounds in a few short weeks due to an inability to eat. So on top of dealing with treatment side effects, he was also in a weakened state due to lack of food and weight loss. He made it through treatment but it was pretty brutal. After treatment ended the doctors decided to put in a food port so he could get adequate nutrition. In hindsight BIL believes the port should have been put in earlier in the treatment process. A PET scan this summer indicated he is cancer free although he is still working on regaining his strength. Hopefully your friend can make it through the balance of treatments.

Gray and rainy here. Have a good week everyone.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408

It's not so much the phone that's giving me problems, nor even the car itself (which runs like a top). It's that damned Harmon-Kardon "Starlink infotainment" system—which combines radio, nav screen, CD player & aux USB input, and Bluetooth to enable hands-free calling. From everything I've read, it's been unreliable in both older and much newer Subarus. Starlink (which was their version of OnStar) got deactivated in 2021 because it used 3G/LTE and was incompatible with 4G networks. I am not holding out hope that this refurbished head unit will work any more reliably—"refurbished" means "used;" which begs the question—why did it need "refurbishing?" I also doubt that the dealer will have it by the promised 8-10 "working days," as there are reports that mention a 6-month backlog. Now, I'm seeing a few "pre-owned" ones on Amazon & eBay, but it makes me wonder where they came from—wrecked cars? Stolen? Price is much lower (one-tenth) than what I was quoted (and the Chinese knockoffs on Amazon are even cheaper), but the labor will be the major factor—the dash needs to be taken apart and speakers & amp tested for compatibility.

Crutchfield explained to me that's the reason they advise against replacing a Subaru H-K with an aftermarket unit—as the H-K amp & speakers are optimized for H-K head units and will sound like crap—tinny, static-y & distorted—without replacing the amp & speakers too. (Also, the dash would have to be hacked apart further to accommodate the bezels on aftermarket units—which would also mean the vents would need reconfiguring).

Oh, and it still wouldn't have CarPlay—Subaru didn't introduce it in Outbacks & Legacies till 2018-19, and Subaru H-K head units that new wouldn't fit my dash.

I suspect that after spending $2300, I may still be stuck having to buy a standalone dash-or-window-mounted Garmin GPS with Bluetooth handsfree/CarPlay and a large enough Bluetooth speaker to be audible over road noise. It's either that, or trade in an otherwise good—and low-mileage—car. And if I were in the market for a new car, Subaru doesn't yet make what I'd want: hybrid or plug-in hybrid (CR sort-of recommended the new full-EV Subaru Solterra, but I don't want to rewire my house and run another line out to the garage to get 240V service for a charger—could be that's why my neighbor is getting solar on his garage roof to power the charger for his new Hyundai Ioniq 5). Plug-in hybrids have only enough EV range for short local runs, and poorer gas fuel economy than "pure" hybrids (like Bob's Tucson and our old Fusion). Wonder why they don't make EVs with small "emergency" fuel tanks in case your battery runs out before you can reach a charger? Sort of a "reverse hybrid." I also learned that even the best EVs can take 1/2 hr. of charge to add 50 mi. to the range. I can't imagine making such long stops when time is tight. I generally stretch my legs, answer nature's call at rest stops, and gas up. I usually don't stop for a sit-down meal. Sure doesn't take 30 min. to fill my tank!

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408

On the medical front, saw my hand/arm ortho today—he confirmed that my R elbow & shoulder have healed from the fracture sustained in June and my hand & arm strength are excellent. But he also confirms I have nerve irritation in my L arm from that mis-aimed RSV shot I got in July from a rookie tech at Walgreens. I get a squeezing sensation in my tricep and tingling/zapping from my neck down to my fingers. He put in an order for PT to try and desensitize the nerve (or figure out how not to notice it). He also agrees I should follow my neuro to her new office at UIC Health rather than accept a new one N. Shore wants to assign—"continuity of care" is paramount.

• illinoislady

There is a fundamental law that the tissue of the human body will waste away through idleness and disuse.  Conversely, muscles and vessel that are stressed grow and increase in capacity.  This same basic law also applies to spiritual and intellectual growth and can be achieved only by continual nourishment and effort in day-to-day living.

Clarence F. Robison

• illinoislady

Windy day here so SIL and Dh are out on the lawn tractors mulching. There were already too many leaves on the ground — so now that a lot more on the way down time to get as caught up as you can on a windy day. Some of the colors have turned so pretty, even though I don't welcome the 'starkness' of our woods when there are no leaves on the trees. It will be easier to take any snow off the deck and stairs with the big oak right next to our handrail gone.

Have a short meet up with Dr. Barrientos later on. Mainly to get a prescription from him that will last a yr. Then it will get turned over to Dr. Neely, my PCP, after that. Dr. B came through the Community Care System for me so is considered an outside Dr. Any prescriptions he wrote had to be renewed by him. Dr. Neely took on ANY of my other outside prescriptions, but we never talked about this one. Never realized we would 'lose' Dr. B. I am glad that Dr. B is going to a VA. facility though.

Hope you are able to get your arm (badly placed RSV injection) in better shape. At our age we seem to have enough maladies to try and take care of so getting one from a shot you need to keep yourself well is the un-holy pits. It does seem that much of our "retirement" time is used up in seeing after our health. I hope you end up finding relief easy.

Hope you all have a great Thursday.

• carolehalston

This thread has quieted down. I was used to 8 or 10 posts or more. Hope everyone is busy doing enjoyable things.

I enjoyed my two hours plus out in the yard yesterday. It took quite a while to prune five knockout roses since I had a plastic lawn chair handy to sit and drink water. These roses are a challenge to prune because it's not easy to locate the growth node that will encourage the bush to grow outward. I also spent about thirty minutes deep watering the roses. It is bone dry in the yard with so little rain.

I also cleared out the dead vegetation in my pots on the patio, not a hard job at all. Once the weather cools off, I'll plant pansies and maybe some snap dragons for winter color.

• cardplayer

I’m a little depressed by all the news lately. What a difficult time we’re living in. I’ve been keeping busy with cleaning and walking in the afternoon. I’m slow to get my refrigerator cleaned unfortunately. Right now, I have lots of leftovers.

Following up from a post about Thanksgiving. Years ago, we hosted 21 people for Thanksgiving. Not many leftovers that year and that was the last big number. Our kids are usually with us for Thanksgiving. DD and SIL often celebrate Christmas with in-laws if they come into town and DS and DIL travel.

I had my echocardiogram yesterday morning. My blood pressure was high; for some reason I was nervous for the test. Glad it’s over with. Next week are cardiac stress tests.

Another beautiful day here. Sunny and upper 70s. Hope everyone is doing well and has a wonderful Friday.

• racheldog
    racheldog Member Posts: 209

I quit this website when the new format began. I was diagnosed in 2020 and loved the old website. I wonder how many others gave up as well. I am very computer saavy but to navigate this site now seems impossible to find new discussions and the forums I am lookng for are OLD.

I may be facing a recurrance and I am terrified so I did come back. I cannot even find out how you message the moderators?? Sorry if I jumped on to this group but I saw someone else in 2022 who thought this site was a disaster. There are so many not current forums?

• illinoislady

We ought not to progress in life by a series of violent jerks, but should learn to navigate our lives upon the flowing stream of change. By being amenable and adaptable we should cease to resent either life or conditions, and seek to “change” them by changing ourselves.  -Ronald Beesley

• illinoislady

racheldog, I can't say I'm overly fond of the new format, but I did hang around. Had been at BC. Org since 2007 and I just couldn't bring myself to quite give up. I tried a couple of other breast cancer blogs and didn't care for them so much either. Same time I was here, and this is the one I stayed with.

I'm sorry to hear you feel the possibility of a recurrence. I hope you are wrong. That said, I had a recurrence, but it was a new primary. If long enough time from your first dx. there is a strong chance (if you have a recurrence at all) that it would be new and therefore could likely be treated like you had never had any other cancer issue.

I wish I could be more help to you as far as getting around on this site. I think maybe the information and resources bar could be of help to you, but I mainly. just keep using the left hand bar list until I find what I think I need. I'm electronically challenged. Any time I go outside of the couple of places I post I find I pretty much start all over. Hope you will keep working with it.

We are here for you and others will likely see your post and have good advice that will help you navigate a bit better. Hang in there, we care.

• carolehalston

Racheldog, sure hope you don't a recurrance or a new primary. I managed to navigate this site to keep up with the three discussion forums I follow. If you're computer savvy, you will probably figure out how to do what you want to do. Feel free to join us any time.

I went to Hobby Lobby after my exercise class and bought soft yarn for crocheting hats for chemo patients. I looked up information about the recommended yarns. One was cotton and bamboo but the colors were too dull and blah. A friend who is a member of a Lutheran church participates in a project for preparing gift bags for cancer patients. I'll give her the hats I make for including in the bags. My aim is to make attractive caps and hats.

• illinoislady

Carole, I noticed, as you did, that we don't always have a lot going on here. Maybe people are busy trying to get ready for the winter weather. I haven't done my closet yet. Partly just because it is a lot of work and sort of dreading having to give up summertime. The past couple of days here have been Indian Summer type so I can't complain.

I also think having to listen to a lot of 'war' talk gets to people. We are generally a happy group here, but how long can you listen to almost non-stop war issues and not feel down. It is a sad time for so many.

We lost our cable last night and only just got it back a short while ago. I couldn't tell for sure but it sounds like someone purposely cut the cable. I was surprised by the length of time it took to for repairs. Went out around 9 p.m. last night. It came on about 2p.m. this afternoon. When that happens, it sort of gives you a feeling about your addictions. Morning coffee w/o watching the news was awful. Even when the news is not great that is how we prefer to start our day. We are spoiled to 'watching' news and not listening to it on the radio. We watch cable news in the morning — so finding a radio channel where they do a brief few minutes would be like not getting any to us.

Cardplayer, hope your tests all turned out fine. As well that your blood pressure settled down. Do you take your own blood pressure at home??

Saying hi to all who haven't posted for a bit. We get lonesome for you. Hope you all have a really pretty day.

• cardplayer
    edited October 2023

rachaeldog - sure hope you don’t have a reoccurrence.

You get use to the site. Hang in the with it. There are some helpful tips on navigating the site. Scroll down on the page and you’ll see some links. To contact the mods, click on the envelope at the top of the page. Type Moderators in recipient and then your message.

Illinois - my blood pressure is back to normal. Thanks for checking.

Carole - so nice that you’re making chemo caps. A good friend knitted me several chemo caps when I was going through treatment. I had her make me some with bright colors too. Donated them to the oncology center when I was done with treatment.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 940

DH and I took a drive to a local beach tonight and were gifted with this beauty. I thought I would share. And Racheldog, welcome.

Carole I thought of you (the gardner) today when I discovered our new home has a beautiful rosebush on the side of the house. I had noted the hydrangeas outback but missed the roses 🌹 What a treat!

My BP always has issues of one sort or another. I sympathize. Illinois, you manage yours and CV issues with grace I admire.

• carolehalston

Wow, what a beautiful scene captured in the photo. Thanks for posting.

Jackie, I could google but I will ask, What is Indian summer? Interesting name.

• cardplayer

Beautiful picture reader!

• puffin2014
    puffin2014 Member Posts: 979

I had my first massage yesterday. One of our residents recently retired from giving massages at our local cancer center. Our building has a grouping of rooms that used to be used as a Wellness Center (foot care, BP's, getting flu shots) but that died out during Covid. She convinced management to let her do massages there. She's done a nice job of remodeling it, charges $75 for a one hour full body massage. Her table has warmed soft blankets, she was very careful to only expose the area she was working on so I never got cold. Will definitely be going back.

After all the work I've been doing in the flower beds to get plants cut down before the snow arrived (which it did this week), I really needed the massage.

Our building is replacing the worn out faded carpeting in our dining room, along with the tables and chairs. I like the new grey toned carpeting, we're all anxious to see what style of tables and chairs they chose.

• illinoislady

Saying “Yes!” to God’s gift of love and life primarily and above all
    means choosing love as a life principle.  However, saying “Yes!” to God
    is not a simple matter because making our lives into lives of love is not
    a simple or easy thing.  To choose love as a life principle means that
    my basic mind-set or questions must be:  What is the loving thing to be,
    to do, to say?  My consistent response to each of life’s events, to each
    person who enters and touches my life, to each demand on my time and
    nerves and heart, must somehow be transformed into an act of love.
    However, in the last analysis, it is this “Yes!” that opens me to God.
    Choosing love as a life principle widens the chalice of my soul, so that
    God can pour into me his gifts and graces and powers.

John Powell

• illinoislady

Overcast today, but not raining. Matt, SIL's son was going to come over and barbecue on our outside grill. It will be way too cool.

That brings me to Indian summer. Carole, it is most noted here after several days or two or three weeks of much cooler weather. Sometimes it will even show up after a hard frost. So we have had some Indian Summer weather a couple of times now and un-fortunately it did not last through today so Matt could do his barbecue. I will have to go to the store (I didn't thaw anything because I didn't think I'd need too) and get something to cook for tonight's dinner. I don't mind.

Reader, I love ANY water pictures since water, and very much especially any with good sized waves I find spiritually comforting. I guess it is something about washing away all your cares and troubles by leaving them on an outgoing wave. I spent many happy hours on the Santa Barbara/Ventura, Ca. beaches for this reason.

That sun lighting up the spray from the waves is breath-taking. I'm so glad you shared.

Puffin, I am a little envious. I've never had a massage, but it sounds like it is a great experience. The fact that you would DEFINITELY go back sounds like it is not only great but something that touches on not only relaxing the body, but good for the mind as well. Your building's facelift sounds interesting. I'm normally not a fan of gray anything, but I have seen some cars and houses that I actually didn't mind so I do think it can be used successfully. The neighbor in front of us (once all the leaves are off the trees it will be much more evident) recently replaced the yellow vinyl siding on the house to a two toned grey. I like it, but at first when I saw it was gray…..

Hope you are all having a really good Saturday.

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,302
    edited October 2023

I got busy and didn’t post, or even read anything.

Rachel, the site was hard at first but they fixed some bugs and it’s gotten better. I’m hoping you don’t have a reoccurrence.

Reader, I love that photo! And how nice to have a gardening surprise of roses.

Puffin, I love a good massage. In FL I see separate massage therapist and sports chiropractor. In NY it’s a chiro muscle therapist that does both. I might have to check my calendar and get an appointment.

Sandy, many years ago I had biweekly allergy shots. One such visit hurt like hell as a nerve was hit. It zapped me all down the arm into my fingers. It’s been so long I can’t remember how long it lasted, but I didn’t need PT. You’ve been going through a rough patch, and I hope it turns around soon.

Wednesday, day after thyroid biopsy, I just hung around the house. But I did get a call that they want to see me for a follow-up vs calling me as the doctor says he’d do with results. I’m trying not to read into that.

Thursday we went to my partners cousins home for lunch. She lives out in the country so we had a nice scenic drive. And we were able to pick up my partners car. The car we’re told needs to be driven more, the battery was dead and they seemed like it was because it’s a small car with a small alternator. I’m not buying it. But partner is thinking of trading it in, depending on what’s available to buy. We’ll see.

Friday I met a gf at the Crossings for a walk, temperatures have been perfect. As I got home I grabbed the lawnmower to vacuum up the rest of pine needles in back yard, and leaves in front yard. Our yard waste hadn’t been picked up yet and it was a prime opportunity to add to it.

Today I met a gf, we wandered the last outdoor farmers market in a local city. Weather again was beautiful so just being outside felt nice. Then stopped for lunch at a place on the river (Hudson River). As we went to our vehicles it had started to drizzle. We both zoomed home to get yard work done, as tomorrow it drops down to a high of 51. Our great weather is done with.

I ran in the house to drop my purse and ran out to get the hedge trimmer. I attacked those bushes and shrubs like a crazy lady trying to beat the rain. Before I finished it was a light drizzle. So I did complete what I wanted to, but left all the trimmings right where they fell. But as life goes, the sun came out and the 2 of us went around picking up the trimmings. I cut down a plant that will come back in May - I usually forget to get to it and by time we come back the new growth is mixed with the dead old growth. So I’m hoping to avoid playing with it next May. Partner emptied all the crap between the garage and neighbors property. I say crap but it’s actually pine needles, cones, weeds, odd ball foliage that grows on neighbors property but ends up weaving up/under/through to my side.

We’re almost ready for winter weather. The hose reel needs to be put in the garage; solar lights too, but I like seeing them when I look out at night; bird baths, I like keeping them out until I know it will freeze.

And now you’re all caught up on my week. Next week high temps are 48-51 so I’m not looking forward to that, but I am in upstate NY so I’ll get over it.

First picture is my front steps. Other photos are from my walk on Friday. Cold and rainy the next two days but I hope to get back up there to walk next week - just not in the rain. Enjoy your Sunday!

• illinoislady

Cindy, your front walkway and door are so nice and so prettily decorated. I think if I were new in your neighborhood and walked past your house, I'd fight the urge to knock on your door.

I do think almost any place that gets frost and cold usually have a beautiful Fall to grace their eyes while on a nice walk. We have a park we sometimes walk in which is full of a lg. variety of trees so is always a delight when Fall arrives. It is the park that is decorated in story form for Christmas and has special lights so you can drive thru slowly at night. Really pretty if there is a nice fluffy snow going on as you go through. Takes about 20 mins. or more so is not a small meager display by any means.

• 1946taco
    1946taco Member Posts: 290

Been an "exciting" few days here. DD lives alone with 20 acres of land behind her house about 10 miles from Lewiston, ME. Her town, as well as the one farther south of her (away from Lewiston) where she works was shut down. Were we glad to hear from her last night!

Got new glasses this week and am back to golf. My bruise is fading but I can still feel the lump in my breast. The next appointment can't come soon enough.

I have had a monthly massage for years. I don't do much self care but I do that for myself. I've had the same therapist for 20 years so she feels like a friend. She seems to sense when I need to talk and when I just need to zone out. For years she came to my house (which is an even better treat) but after a recent knee surgery she was told not to drag her table around. I now have to drive about 10 minutes.

It's also getting time to see my actupuncturist (even the computer doesn't know how to spell that). Both wrists and knee are acting up again but I have found acupuncture successful in the past. Just wish insurance covered it!

This site isn't easy to manage but stick with us.

• carolehalston

Cindy, you put me to shame with your charming fall decorations on your front steps. Love the photos. We left northern MN early this year to go to Ireland and Scotland, so missed the full fall color. I have been enjoying photos on Facebook. I follow a couple of MN Facebook groups.

We came close to committing to a Viking river cruise in April. Then before we could make a deposit, the trip was closed. The dates worked for us and the price seemed great for the number of days and the itinerary. Apparently the trip worked for other people, too. I'm not too sad because the prospect of another foreign trip had already aroused some anxiety.

I also hope that Karen's daughter is safe.

Taco, what a worry for you when the Maine manhunt was in progress!

I had a 30 minute massage years ago and I didn't like it. The massage was a gift. Not my thing, at least not yet. I am such a private person and the massage seemed invasive. LOL.

Gray has been a big decorating hue for quite a number of years. It replaced beige.

My plan for the day is to take a walk. First I need to drink more coffee and ease into the day.

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,302

Illinois, the fall pictures I take are reminders of the beauty that surrounds me. It’s especially nice to view them when I’m in SWFL, sorry Petite, where it’s mostly flat as a pancake with no signs of fall. I know I know, no signs of winter either and that’s why I go. I have one picture from a traffic light not far from my home where I can look up and see the Helderberg mountains. One forgets what they see everyday, until I’m in FL and don’t see a mountain for 6 months.

Ominous sky and all. I don’t recall we had rain, just looked like it could.

Taco, glad your daughter was safe. It’s seems lately when horrible things happen (judge killed in his driveway; chief of police’s estranged son shot 2 policemen) the perpetrator ends their own life. I’m glad the fear in Maine is over. And I’m glad you like your glasses too. I’ve also seen an acupuncturist. It was years ago for my back, and yes it worked at relieving the pain. I should see one now for the pinched nerve in my neck.

Thanksgiving stories: when I was married in 1978, we went to my MIL home for dinner. Normally she had 2 boys and her husband living there. She filled my plate like I was one of the boys, piled it on. I think I was 117 pounds with rocks in my pockets. Needless to say I took a lot home with me.

Post divorce I ate at my parent’s house. Once my parents passed we tried keeping a family dinner going. But nieces fought, family aged - BIL won’t leave his house, so it’s became nothing like it was. Way back growing up, on the evening of Thanksgiving all the aunts, uncles, and cousins would gather at my mom’s house for coffee, pie and conversation. Sadly only one aunt remains and she is 95. But all good memories surround those times.

Weather here is glum looking. The temp is 47 and the rains have started. I’m meeting gf’s for lunch at noon, and that should brighten my day. I hope you all have a bright day too!

• illinoislady

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people. Abraham Joshua Heschel

• illinoislady

Quite gloomy outdoors here and likely more rain. Had some overnight and 90% chance of more. That percentage number is definitely not an iffy one. So I call ick on the whole thing. I don't mind some water coming down — it is the gloominess of the color that gets to me so very easily.

Taco, I'm glad that Card has relieved everyone in the Lewiston, ME area. It must have been very scary for both your daughter and you, not to mention such life interruptions as staying in your home for an extended period. It is good that people can resume some normalcy. It is something that at some point those committing such crimes do see that the only way out is to give up their life as well. Why people like Card feel such a strong need to take things out on others — before they take their own life who knows. Discouraging to say the least. I hope ME will have second thoughts and not just thoughts, but some action on changing things.

Carole, I have heard that yrs. ago a lot of people did not care for massage as it 'seemed' invasive. I think that was one of the biggest reasons I never even tried it. I think (hope) maybe that realization took hold and perhaps a good masseuse would take that part into consideration. I think of our small town as sort of backwoods (and it may not be at all) so haven't looked to see if there might be someone who would suit me. Maybe though I'll keep it in mind for later.

I agree Cindy. It's easy to forget to enjoy many of the beauties (gifts) we live with daily till we don't for some reason like they are not around for a bit. I have been like that in my love and mild longing for the ocean. It was my comfort, my belonging, my completeness. I think that is one of the reasons when we came back home here we only spent a yr. in town in our first house. We dearly loved the house with upstairs and basement w/rec room — all the things we never had. But, the lake and the woods were calling the whole time and so we found our first lake house and never looked back. The lake is not the ocean, but it sure is the next best thing. I can't imagine being anywhere else.

Wishing a nice day for all.