Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 37,910

The firm, the enduring, the simple, and the modest are near to virtue.

Confucius

• illinoislady

Wren: It is sort of awful here in the 80's if there is humidity and almost or no breeze. Added to that the sun beating down on you and it is time to get yourself in and out if you have to do a chore outside or even just going in and out of a store. So — I'm not laughing.

It can be okay here w/o the humidity and a nice breeze — pretty tolerable then although I don't spend overt amts. of time in the sun, even then.

Cindy, glad you got your meter woes handled. Seems like we have had ours changed out several times in the time we have been in this house. I think they are on some sort of rotation for changing them. Someone is usually here so it is never an issue much. Sounds like that solar cover can keep you in your pool for quite some time if it's in the 40's at night.

Glad you are getting around okay now Taco. Sure sounds like things are VERY different between partial as opposed to total knee. I hope I never need anything (knee or hip) replaced, but I'll have to go with whatever nature presents.

Still thinking about you Petite.

Hope you all have a wonderful day.

• petite1
    petite1 Member Posts: 2,265

No result yet. I keep checking my portal.

Betrayal, I hope you have a wonderful trip.

Any word on Puffin?

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,069

I'm wondering about Puffin. The Facebook reports from her friends and caregivers have stopped. In one of the latest posts some days ago, she had requested no more visitors. She was ready to pass into another state promised by her religious faith.

I'm so glad she got to enjoy her birding trips. DH and I met Puffin (Connie) and her dh 7 or 8 years ago. At the time they both were both Segway scooter enthusiasts. Her dh (his name escapes me) taught us to ride them and it was a lot of fun. We rode around in a big parking lot. He had a horrible, fatal accident the next year or two, falling from the roof of their house to a concrete surface. Connie dealt with grief and being a widow. Eventually she sold their tiny house near the university and moved to a senior residential development where she adjusted and lived in contentment. In my opinion she is a prime example of bad things happening to very good people.

DH and I went to Fargo and had lunch with her one year after her dh passed. The next year she and I drove to a midway meeting place, Detroit Lakes, and had lunch. After that we didn't meet again. It's a drive of 1 and a half hours for me to Fargo and I wouldn't attempt it by myself.

On another subject, dh and I have been through a bout of stomach illness. He was more violently ill than I was. Today we're getting back to normal. It was in the 40's this morning but will warm up to about 70. Next week summer weather returns.

Wishing everyone a good Friday.

• illinoislady

Our imagination is the most important faculty we possess.  It can be our greatest resource or our most formidable adversary.  It is through our imagination that we discern possibilities and options.  Yet imagination is no mere blank slate on which we simply inscribe our will.  Rather, imagination is the deepest voice of the soul and can be heard clearly only through cultivation and careful attention.  A relationship with our imagination is a relationship with our deepest self.

Pat B. Allen

• illinoislady

Nice day today so far and cooler as promised. About 81 degrees. It is overcast which tends to help the temps. feel more pleasant.

I am sorry you are still waiting on your portal Petite. It must be pretty busy where you have things done. I usually get mine a few hours after test completion but then I am from a pretty small community.

Carole I so enjoyed hearing your descriptions of all your interactions with Puffin and her Dh. I had forgotten about those Segway adventures but do recall your sharing some pictures at the time. I also recall feeling you were really brave for trying them out. I know a lot of people had them, but Puffin and hubby were the only ones I ever "knew" had them. I knew that her husband died from a fall from his roof, but had forgotten it was on concrete. Puffin seemed to work through it fairly well. In my imagination I'd have been hysterical for weeks over something like that.

She maintained a lot of bravery and fortitude. Quite a lady. I hope if she is gone that it was gentle and peaceful.

Your stomach troubles (both you and Dh) didn't seem to last too long Carole — almost like a 24 hr. bug. Those are likely best to have. I'm glad you both seem on the mend. Sounds really un-pleasant to say he least.

Nothing special planned for the day. I think I'm glad it's Friday although I have to admit when you are retired Sat and Sunday just become the rest of the week. I still feel though like I can laze in bed a bit longer if I feel like it.

I hope you all have a really good day.

• illinoislady

Nice day today so far and cooler as promised. About 81 degrees. It is overcast which tends to help the temps. feel more pleasant.

I am sorry you are still waiting on your portal Petite. It must be pretty busy where you have things done. I usually get mine a few hours after test completion but then I am from a pretty small community.

Carole I so enjoyed hearing your descriptions of all your interactions with Puffin and her Dh. I had forgotten about those Segway adventures but do recall your sharing some pictures at the time. I also recall feeling you were really brave for trying them out. I know a lot of people had them, but Puffin and hubby were the only ones I ever "knew" had them. I knew that her husband died from a fall from his roof, but had forgotten it was on concrete. Puffin seemed to work through it fairly well. In my imagination I'd have been hysterical for weeks over something like that.

She maintained a lot of bravery and fortitude. Quite a lady. I hope if she is gone that it was gentle and peaceful.

Your stomach troubles (both you and Dh) didn't seem to last too long Carole — almost like a 24 hr. bug. Those are likely best to have. I'm glad you both seem on the mend. Sounds really un-pleasant to say he least.

Nothing special planned for the day. I think I'm glad it's Friday although I have to admit when you are retired Sat and Sunday just become the rest of the week. I still feel though like I can laze in bed a bit longer if I feel like it.

I hope you all have a really good day.

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,274

Carole, thank you for info on Puffin. I’m not sure I was on this thread yet when all that occurred. But I recall her posts of her visiting with her dad, always a photo on his birthday. If she has passed, I too hope it was peaceful.

We’re off to my cousins celebration of life. He passed on 8/6, but was cremated without a service - ashes scattered where he requested. I’m looking forward to seeing folks, but also dreading the emotions that will hit me again over his loss.

Beautiful day here again. It was 64 about 10 am, now at 80. Tomorriw morning is supposed to be ok in the AM with rain in the PM, and a temperature drop.

PS- stomach bug hasn’t hit us, but has got many of friends & family.

• carolehalston

Update on Connie. She is still under hospice care and is still eating.

It's in the 40's this morning. The heat pump is making the camper cozy and comfortable. I am very happy not to be at the farmers market today. Setting up would have been a "shivering" process.

The weather forecast calls for summer temperatures next week with highs in the 80's.

We drove to Bemidji yesterday and saw quite a few trees with leaves turning golden. A few with red leaves.

• illinoislady

Contentment. . . comes as the infallible result of great acceptances, great humilities—of not trying to make ourselves this or that (to conform to some dramatized version of ourselves), but of surrendering ourselves to the fullness of life—of letting life flow through us.

David Grayson

• illinoislady

Good Saturday morning. It was 59 degrees when I got up this morning. I think (since there is little humidity out) that it will be all right today. Not too warm. There is plenty of sun right now. Hopefully the whole day will be just fine.

Carole, thanks for the Puffin update. I feel better knowing how things are. Not knowing leaves so many possibilities and many are not great to be thinking.

Fall is coming to you as well. We are not all that far along as yet, but the general feel is starting. The trees always look a bit tired to me by now and a few leaves drift down, but not enough to even think of mulching as yet. As we haven't had the enormous heat that sometimes comes and more rain than we might get this time of year, the lawn doesn't look all dried out as yet either. It's in the air though — those very cool starts to the day. I'm in no big hurry, but I admit the absence of gross humidity and heat has much to be said and lots to be enjoyed.

Cindy, it sounds like it is not so bad where you are either.

I hope you all are going to have a good day.

• cindyny

The weather turned quick here today. I was outside deadheading plants. Then I tackled my neighbors crap tree limbs laying on my fence. They’re oblivious or just don’t care - the tree is growing right next to their foundation. I filled a yard bag up to the brim, with more to go - I’d need a ladder and wasn’t in the mood.

I came in to see I had a phone call from our tree guy. He’ll be here Monday morning between 8-9 AM. As previously mentioned, I’m a night owl. I’ll have to set my clothes up to jump into as I wake up.

I grabbed my lunch and before I finished eating, it was pouring to beat the bands and back down to 64. I need to move some garden stuff before tree guy gets here. I figured I’d put it away for the season once I take it up. But rain has postponed that until tomorrow. The plus is my plants needed a good dousing of water. But I need a fleece!

Tomorrow is expected to only have a high of 65. I’ll need a fleece tomorrow too. Hoping your weather is better than mine, enjoy your Saturday!

• illinoislady

I think I spoke too soon, Cindy.

• illinoislady

Love is the great transformer, turning ambition into aspiration, selfishness into service, greed into gratitude, getting into giving and demands into dedication.

unattributed

• cindyny

It went down to about 54 after the rain yesterday. Right now it’s 59, house says it’s 62 - I’m chilly bundled in my robe. It feels like fall, full on. But by Thursday back in the 80’s for a few days.

I boxed up almost all books yesterday. I started to move things back up to the front bedroom (catch all room) and found I had an empty Amazon box. Also partner had a vitamin delivery yesterday - I took that box and all the “peanuts” in it. Used that box for SIL books; the Amazon box & peanuts for grandkids books. Post office is on my “to do” list for tomorrow.

In that front bedroom I put the little tv I used in the screen house. Also put a VHS player and a dvd player up there. 🤷‍♀️ They could be “vintage” items. HA! Until another purge I suppose. I feel like I’m making progress in bits & pieces and I’m ok with it. The front bedroom also gets the items that are going to Florida with us, hence the empty box was to fill with those items.

Lastly, today I want the garden stuff out of the tree guys way, so it’s not getting broken or crushed by any falling limbs. That will be a sad task, knowing I won’t see them again until May. But the calendar and time marches on.

It’s also cool enough to put my oven on to warm the house. I’m thinking real baked potatoes, no microwave version. But I’ll still grill the pork tenderloin, it’s so much easier - less clean up mess too.

Time to get moving. Enjoy your Sunday!

• illinoislady

It a really pretty day and fairly coolish at 72 degrees. The house is very cool despite the a/c not running for almost three whole days. That is what those cool nights do. Fall can have its up and downs just like Spring so we likely will have some a/c usage yet.

I would move the garden decorations as well. We still don't have our light pole up in our back yard where our tree guys knocked it down. They were going to come the next day and re-install it, but my SIL said he'd rather do it. He will get the right materials he said and the right base material. He is probably right. It is generally done 'differently' by the home owner. We had an incident with our mailbox as well out at the front road. Some little kids knocked it over with their dads new golf cart. All the DAD did was sit the mail box back into the hole — not too great a fix.

Never understood why people think just because we don't have city streets out here where we are that small children should be allowed the use of motorized vehicles that are not cars. Parents who encourage their kids to break laws when they are 9 or 10 better hope the children learn somewhere before they are old enough to be doing things that will get you into some real hot water. I actually felt sorry for the kids. I will say that I've not seen them for a long while on that golf cart. I'm glad about that for their sake.

Hope you all have a good day. I'm still have the reactions to the antibiotic so laying low somewhat.

• illinoislady

If religion commands universal charity, to love our neighbors as ourselves, to forgive and pray for all our enemies without any reserve; it is because all degrees of love are degrees of happiness, that strengthen and support the Divine life of the soul, and are as necessary to its health and happiness, as proper food is necessary to the health and happiness of the body.

William Law

• cindyny

It’s 72, with in & out sun, we had some rain too.

The tree guy has been at it for about 5 hours. It looks good! He has a degree in forestry and knows what’s he’s doing - we’re just staying out of the way.

I ran to the bank to get cash for the tree guy. Then grabbed sympathy cards for my surviving cousins. Back home I grabbed the 2 boxes of books and went up to the post office with them.
    They suggest for the oversized book still at home, to just wrap it in paper and tape it up. So that’s what I did- thick wrapping paper we had from some company advertising their name - other side was white.
    Took the rest of the books and put them in the box our electric blanket came in. I had to add cardboard to a corner that was open (to view the blanket lol), and super reinforce it with packing tape. Off to the post office I went. Happy to report they’re all on their way to someone else’s house! About $47 to Texas and $14 to NC. More expensive than I planned put I had hoped to fit that oversized one in with others. Still glad they’re gone.

Eye - I’ve hot packed it till the cows come home and can still see the red spot. I had to call the eye dr to get the prescription called in for a steroid - which I wanted to avoid. I asked if she’d skip it and just laser it. They said I’d need to see the surgeon who would cut it out. I YI YI LUCY. The tech & I got giggling, I said she’s scaring me into using the steroid.
    I haven’t heard back yet, but also wondered if I should reach out to the Lions Eye Institute - I had the tiny cyst in corner of my eyelid taken out on 1st visit with them last year before we left for FL.

I have a UTI too. I’d laugh but I’ve had enough going on. I thought Saturday that I might have one, by Sunday I was sure. I went to the closest Urgent Care which turned out to be closed. Then up to another one, the next closest. Picked up script afterwards.

• petite1

Hi, just checking in. No results on scan, as yet. I am feeling almost normal and got everything on my list accomplished.

Carole, Thank you for the Puffin update.

Cindy, sounds like a lot going on. My condolences regarding the loss of your cousin.

Any word on this missing Sandy?

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 923

Hi Petite waiting is the worst. Thinking of you.

Sandy checked in on another thread. Just inordinately busy due to the restoration stuff going on and just ' life.'

• carolehalston

Cindy, hard to believe that the months have passed and we'll both soon be south bound. Meanwhile, Francine is headed for the Louisiana coast.

We're in for a few summer weather days with highs reaching 80 or low 80's. I plan to drive the golf cart to Eagle View GC this morning and play solo golf.

• illinoislady

Free will is not the liberty to do what one likes, but the power of doing whatever one sees ought to be done, even in the very face of otherwise overwhelming impulses. There lies freedom indeed.

George MacDonald

• illinoislady

Good Morning. Due to be warmer today, I believe. Due for more warmth for a bit, but likely nights will be cool still. No great plans for the day. Time I think to clean my desk again of the scraps and save ables that pile up after awhile. Not sure why I feel such need to keep some of those items.

Hope you all have a delightful day.

• cindyny

Carole, it does feel fast leaving one home for another. I never got to our bedroom - tear up carpet, remove wallpaper and paint it all. We’re supposed to get into the low 80’s before the week is out. Definitely get out and enjoy it!

Yesterday I picked up the script for eye ointment - antibiotic with steroid. Makes me miserable putting ointment in my eye 3x a day and no contact lens in that eye. I can’t drive with 1 contact, and I don’t really trust my glasses. I’m home bound. Follow up scheduled for 9/20.

I’m coloring my roots. Might as well get something accomplished while I’m stuck. HA! I’m just crabby having to use the ointment. I’ll leave both contacts out and read a book.

• petite1

Still no results.

Hoping no one is in Francine's path as it moves northward.

• harley07
    harley07 Member Posts: 341

Petite - sorry to hear that you are still waiting for scan results. Waiting is torture.

Illinoislady - hope you are recovering from the side effects of antibiotics. Thinking of you.

Cindy - thinking of you and hope the meds clear up your eye. Putting ointment in the eye sounds miserable.

Carole - thanks for the update on Puffin. She has been in my thoughts. hard to believe it’s time to head south. I know you make good use of your time in MN but the summer sure flew by.

Weather has been good here and we’ve taken advantage of it by walking in the neighborhood and some short hikes in state and county parks. I love fall and am looking forward to cooler temps and lower humidity. Today was 80 and slight breeze. Perfect for sitting on the patio and reading.

• carolehalston

Francine is forecast to come ashore at Morgan City, LA, which is relatively close to where my sister Linda lives. I hope she and her dh and all her animals fare well. Her house is old and run down.

Our next door neighbors who keep an eye on our place are on vacation in Ireland. DH will call the neighbor on the other side of our property after the storm has passed. We don't have items outside like porch furniture because we put all that away before leaving for the summer.

Today dh is playing golf and I will go to the gym and afterwards make a few stops.

• illinoislady

We find by losing. We hold fast by letting go. This seems to be close to the heart of that mystery. I know no more than I ever did about the far side of death or the last letting-go of all, but now I know that I don't need to know, and that I do not need to be afraid of not knowing. God knows. That is all that matters.

Frederick Buechner

• illinoislady

Looks nice outside. Cool this morning from overnight. It may warm a bit more today. We will see. I am listening to 9/11 remembrances on tv. Twenty-three years ago. Seems amazing to me now. Where has the time gone and now the children of those who worked so tirelessly for others are grown up. Still a painful memory.

I do hope Francine causes no real damage to your sister and her home and family Carole, nor to your home either. The storms seem to be always a bit worse. I hope we can make progress on getting some climate controls in more solidly.

Cindy, hope that eye gets better quickly. It is no fun to be 'grounded' by a medical situation that you've spend some time treating already. Here's hoping.

Hi to Harley, Taco, Sandy, Chris, Petite, MM and any others. Hope everyone has a good day.

• petite1

The results are in. No cancer and no tumors. Yay. But I do have non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. My guess is, the doctor will do an adjustment on the Simvastatin and advise me not to drink alcohol, no fatty high cholesterol foods, no processed foods, etc. This I can deal with.