Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,088

Cindy, downloading ebooks from your library is very easy. I download the maximum, 20 books, to my Kindle and then turn off the wifi. The books stay until I have read them. They're returned to the library by my amazon library when the rental time is expired.

It's dark outside this morning but should brighten up. The temperature is low 60's. High will be 70's. Just about perfect.

Happy Friday.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,258

When I think of my past, I try to dwell on the good times, the happy moments, and not to be haunted by the bad. . . To me the gift of life is contained in the command, whatever happens: “Don’t let it get you. Just keep on going.” Thus, I try to think of the good that I have already experienced and what will still be coming. Rose Kennedy

• illinoislady

Nice this morning. Been a mite warmer, but not bad. Dh got his handicapped placard (hangs on rearview mirror) a couple days ago. Likely will mainly stay in my car since we are usually together there. I have had issues for years getting in trucks and although the S-10 trucks sit low — my left side has remained weak from a stroke yrs. ago now when we first returned home. I nearly have to 'fall' into the truck seat — so my Equinox is far easier to get in and out of. We use it almost exclusively.

Hope you will all have a wonderful Friday.

P.S. I would have enjoyed "Some Like It Hot" too.

• petite1
    petite1 Member Posts: 2,273

Busy morning. I went to the post office to pick up a package. Then the A/C guy was here to do servicing. Then the pool company was here. The tiles keep falling off an I have a rust spot where rebar is rusted through. So they are going to re-do the pool. It is to the point where I have to do it. No I am going to have a slice of spinach pizza. yum

• illinoislady

Once one has encountered God everything is changed.  One does not lead a charmed life—but it is amazing how charming the commonplace can become. One still has heavy work to do but one works with assurance and poise. One still has temptations to meet but they have been robbed of most of their power. One runs into adversity, but the inner certainty remains.

Albert E. Day

• illinoislady

Good Morning. A beautiful sunny Sunday. Just hope not too warm. Hard to tell. Just had Dh take a couple of ticks off my back. Two off of the back of my knees yesterday. I think I'm getting paid back for thinking the huge cicada invasion in Spring gobbled all the ticks up. Apparently, we are in round two. I will say it does seem to be the first year I can recall 'getting' ticks on me so late in the season. At this rate I'm going to get nervous about going out of doors. Hopefully we won't see much if anymore.

No special plans today.

Hope you all have a really nice Sunday. ((((((to all))))))).

• carolehalston

Jackie, you must have a lot of ticks in your yard. DH has gotten them on his body in past years but not this year, probably because he doesn't spend as much time working outdoors on the property. We do have some deer that come through and munch on flowers.

It's in the 40's this morning and sunny. This is the most pleasant September weather I can remember since we have been coming north to MN for the summer. Last September it was windy and cold when we departed. This year we could actually stay longer but some internal calendar says it's time to go home. A hurricane in the gulf could change the schedule.

Happy Sunday to all.

• illinoislady

One ship drives east and another west,

With the self-same winds that blow;

'Tis the set of the sails and not the gales

That determines where they go.

Like the winds of the sea are the ways of fate,

As we voyage along through life;

'Tis the set of a soul that decides its goal--

And not the calm or the strife.

Ella Wheeler Wilcox

• illinoislady

Good Morning. Woke up to rain and not a total surprise. We had a little storm yesterday afternoon just as we were preparing to go out — and it never really cleared well after the rain. We did stay in — nothing so important that we felt getting wet was worth it.

That may happen again today. Yes, we have had a lot of ticks for this late in the season. I've tried to be careful where I go/am in the yard but seem to be getting them anyway. Hopefully, the weather will change a bit (get cooler), and it will all evaporate. First time since we have been home (27 yrs. now) that it has happened. There really is a first-time fort everything — if you live long enough.

Hope you schedule doesn't have to veer too far Carole. The temps though do sound inviting to a degree. I am enjoying our cooler mornings here and I think once or maybe twice we got near high 40's overnight already — but that is very sporadic here since it could go either way in our 'iffy' periods.

Hope you all have a good Sunday. Thinking of all who have had procedures, still getting well, or working on rehab and of course, sending love and care to Puffin.

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,283

Jackie, more ticks! Maybe a frost overnight would eliminate them. Knock on wood, I’ve never had one on me. Keep an eye on Lil Red.

Carole, I’m with you, it’s been a beautiful September.

We went to the Farm Aid concert yesterday. We were there before 2 pm, and had to set up our chairs a good click from the first section of lawn seating. Gates opened at 11:30 but grandniece had a soccer game so we were fine going later than opening time.

Dave Matthew & Tim Reynolds were great. Personable and accomplished playing. Next up was John Mellencamp; his voice is not what it was, but we all sang along with him. Then my favorite was Neil Young. He plays a mean guitar just like he was in his 20’s, and can sing too. Lastly was Willie Nelson, the one who started Farm Aid. We’ve seen Willie a few times and he starts off slow - not in cinque with the band. But it’s Willie. Then after 1 or 2 songs the speakers to the lawn cut out. After 2 more songs we missed, we started packing up. Mind you, we had been there for over 8 hours. His son started a song when the speakers came back on. But we were headed to the car to go home. Long enjoyable day.

Today after a good nights sleep, I started to drain down the pool. We take the water down to go just under the skimmer before we put in a skimmer face plate plug. It went quickly as I flooded the side street. We cleaned out the filter & pump, and partner carried it into the garage. The party’s over…

The garage really needs to be cleaned out and some work done. It’s old, as in OLD - built on the ground without any real foundation to speak of. I get critters who burrow under it & come up from under the plywood laid over some grid (I don’t really want to know!). I end up with evidence of their dig, dirt galore where he/she digs up inside the garage. I need to move things around, toss stuff that’s not needed, and sweep the dirt up - and possibly pour “quick Crete” in these areas to make it harder for them to get in. We will make an attempt as it gets cooler out, but before freezing our butts off cold.

Front corner of the main garage, which has a blacktop floor; to the shed roofed extension - with no real foundation, where the critters dig their way in. Pictures are from years back when we scraped and redid the stain. I think, but I’m not positive, the original owner had ducks - hence those little “doors” at the ground level on the extension.

I’ve rambled on & on. I hope you all had a great weekend.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 929

Cindy those doors look a bit like flood vents. Was that part of the property ever prone. Or it just might be the picture angle.

Our pool closes October 15. I'm sad and might renew my indoor swimming option. Ot sure yet.

Have a good week ahead everyone 😊

• illinoislady

There is one thing we can do, and the happiest people are those who do it to the limit of their ability. We can be completely present. We can be all here.  We can give all our attention to the opportunity before us.

Mark Van Doren

• illinoislady

Woke up to an overnight rain and it started to rain again as I went out to my car to go for my mammogram. I can report a clean mammogram — no change from last yr. I felt that's how it would turn out since the very recent Pet Scan didn't turn anything pink anywhere. Still, it is nice to get all clear so I can't truthfully now say to myself and anyone else who may evince interest that all is well.

It is a little drippy outside, but not the harder rains we were having. It so far has been pretty much two days and nights of rain. We needed some, but it is now bordering on getting over-done. Not sure why we seem to always have the feast or famine syndrome.

I hope all will have a good day.

• cindyny

Reader425, no flooding. Way way back it was part of a large farm; sold lots for homes 1920-30’s. Only one owner before me; 40 years ago a neighbor said “he kept ducks” and there is even a cement “pool.” It was filled in with cement. I put a low bird bath on it and surrounded it with a garden. I may have mentioned before - way back with the first owner, you were able to burn your trash. What didn’t burn was buried in the yard. I’ve found various things in the yard when the pool was put in, and also digging for planting.

Besides little bottles I’ve found these: pocket watch, pill tin, and perfume stopper. Some broken glass items and metal tube remains, that go into my garbage.

Jackie, good news on your mammo. We also need rain, but 2 days worth I wouldn’t want either.

It’s more overcast than sunny and it’s cooler. I have the windows open a crack and it’s a cool breeze coming in. It felt warmer out than in, but I’m not sure if I’m helping any by keeping the windows open.

It might be time to put our electric blanket on low. Last night my partner stole a lot of the covers. We had the ceiling fan on, and the door open with cross ventilation. Won’t be doing that tonight!

• petite1

Carole, it does look like another storm in the Gulf. We will know more by Weds.

I have to head out fill up my truck and restock some emergency supplies. Just in case.

• harley07
    harley07 Member Posts: 344

Jackie - good news on the mammogram! It’s always nice to have that peace of mind. Keep watching out for those ticks.

Cindy - I enjoy hearing from you. You sure do know how to have fun. The play, the concert and time with family sound awesome.

Carole - hard to believe summer is over and it’s time to head south. Safe travels.

Taco - good for you for getting back out on the golf course. Have fun!

Petite -how are you feeling?

The weather has turned cooler here with high temps of high 60’s to low 70’s this week. I’m very happy to have cooler temps which will make walking outdoors more comfortable.

Two weeks ago, just before I finished chemo we had a get together with about 15 of our college friends whom we have known for almost 50 years. We still see them about twice per year and it was wonderful to catch up.

Last week we headed to Wisconsin for DH’s 50th high school reunion. There are 155 living classmates and over 80 showed up for the reunion which I thought was impressive. Overall his classmates look to be active, in good health and were a very welcoming group.

I just booked a 18 day cruise to Panama and South America at the end of October. It is a repositioning cruise so I found a great deal, it has lots of sea days to relax and some interesting stops in Panama, Ecuador, Peru and Chile. It leaves from Ft. Lauderdale which is an inexpensive, quick flight. We used miles to cover the international airfare from Chile back home. At the last chemo session I asked the nurse if there were any health concerns if I booked the trip and he said it should be OK. At the end of the day he told me he asked my oncologist if I could go on the trip and her response was “Hell, yes” which he interpreted as doctors orders to go. 😄 So I booked the trip the next day.

I hope to return to volunteering at the Food Pantry after the trip. I sure do miss my friends there. DH has been volunteering almost weekly at a Habitat for Humanity project.

Have a great week!

• illinoislady

Good morning. Overcast this a.m. but at least it wasn't raining. We will have to see what may or may not come. So iffy here at the best of times or weather forecasts.

Harley your cruise sounds like it could be quite stimulating with some time to rest and relax in-between stops. The best of both worlds. So glad you got that SUPER green light to go. Also nice to plan a return to your food pantry if possible since it brought you personal satisfaction while doing others a whole lot of good. I so hope it works out for you.

Nothing special planned for today. Maybe a Walmart trip for some supplies. Some bills to start paying. Always plenty to keep me busy.

I made some polenta last night so will cut it into squares and fry it like pancakes for breakfast. Haven't done it for a long time and found myself looking longingly at the corn meal container in the pantry. Time to fix that yen.

Hope everyone has a really good day.

• petite1

Good morning. I am a little stressed, as people around me are stressing over the potential hurricane. I will have a house full of evacuees, depending on what this storm does. I have lived in Florida since 1958 and should be use to this, but some people are a little more concerned than usual. It rubs off. I am off to get more supplies.

harley, I am feeling much better. Thank you for asking.

• cindyny

Harley, my partner says we’re either super busy or bumps on a log. Which sounds about right. Your cruise sounds interesting and so happy you got the green light to go!

Jackie, your polenta making sounds like a plan to fix the craving. It’s cooler here too. It’s 58 now, so I’m throwing on clothes for a walk. I did put the electric blanket on last night and boy did it feel good. Partner, he still stole the covers. We also still have the AC unit in the window, and today was trash pick up - the truck noise travels right in. I was awake before I had 6 hours of sleep. A nap could be in my future.

Petite, keep an eye on the weather and be safe.

• harley07
    harley07 Member Posts: 344

Petite - keeping you in my thoughts that you stay safe with the incoming storm.

• carolehalston

My summer neighbors, Mary and Lyman, may be in the path of Helene. They're not on the coast but could get some strong wind.

My great niece Nova, 19 or 20, just gave birth to a little girl, almost 9 lbs. She was scheduled for a section birth but delivered earlier. Lots of pictures on Facebook this morning. I'm surprised the hospital allows visitors to hold the baby. Doesn't seem safe for the baby's health.

I'm hoping for a good life for both Nova and baby, but the circumstances aren't ideal. Nova will have challenges. She had planned to go to college and was using birth control that didn't work. The father is a young man from a troubled background, definitely not someone you'd pick to be a father at this stage in his life. I don't know if marriage is in the picture. I don't ask a lot of questions. My sister Linda and I offered to buy a crib. I haven't bought presents for showers but will see what is needed when I get home.

Today will be a busy day doing things that need to be done in preparation for departing.

• illinoislady

If only the people who worry about their liabilities would think about the riches they do possess, they would stop worrying. Would you sell both your eyes for a million dollars . . . or your two legs. . . or your hands. . . or your hearing? Add up what you do have, and you’ll find that you won’t sell them for all the gold in the world. The best things in life are yours, if you can appreciate yourself.     -Dale Carnegie

• petite1

The outer bands are rolling through. I will have a full house with my friends that live in the evacuation zone. I am glad for the company. One is coming in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. It depends on how much storm surge there is and how soon the roads clear before they can go back home. The worse thing for me, is if the power goes out for an extended period of time. I also worry about my rental properties. There is an elderly couple that go to a shelter, but the other, a family, usually rides it out. I will talk to them in the morning.

I have done all the prep work I can do, at this point. Some needs to be done at the last minute and I need the others help.

• cindyny

Petite, a 15 foot storm surge could have your visitors staying for a few days. Prayers you’re all ok. Fort Myers was closing schools for tomorrow, but I think it’s just out of precaution. Saying CAT4.

It’s cold, rainy and gloomy here. It was raining when I got up so I didn’t go for a walk. I went through my emails, did all The NY Times puzzles, ran 2 loads of laundry and got out the Pledge to dust all wood surfaces.

One of my emails were from The Cure, it’s a 14 day mailer for cleaning and organizing your house. I do some, ignore others. Today being stuck inside I did the recommended task of cleaning out under my bathroom sink. Wee oh, I got rid of a lot. I use 4 baskets/bins for items - 1 mine, 1 his, and 2 general things. I found makeup; face creams, lotions & potions; hair products; an old tooth brush head…in case I needed to scrub something. Haha! I went through each basket, tossing stuff. Wiped out baskets/bins with an antiseptic wipe, dried them off good. And then cleaned the bottom of the cabinet before putting it all back together. There were even brochures on electric razors, hair dryers & curling irons I don’t own anymore. It felt good to get rid of so much! Not that anyone knows it’s clean, beside me and my partner.

I sat on the bathroom tiled floor, with the bath mat under me, for over an hour. I scrubbed all around the toilet too. I figured I was down there on the floor, might as well make good use of my situation. The snowbird in me knows it’s been some time since I’ve done this deep cleaning. Uncomfortable to say the least.

That’s it for me. I think more rain overnight and into tomorrow. Hope you all had a good day.

• 1946taco
    1946taco Member Posts: 283

Storm sounds like a humdinger. Stay safe everyone.

• petite1

I have been up since 4:30. I am washing towels and changing linen for my guests. This storm scares me. My first arrival is coming as soon as it is day light. She is alone and afraid. Prayers for anyone is the path of this monster.

• carolehalston

This storm does look like a monster. Hope you stay safe, Petite.

• illinoislady

The more complexity, the more issues.  The more simplicity, the fewer difficulties.  If you find yourself in a complicated situation, look for the simple way out.  The scientific theorem Occam’s razor, put forth by 14th-century English logician William of Occam, states, “The simplest answer tends to be the correct one.”  We have been led to believe that an answer is not valid unless it is complicated.  But then again, we have been led to believe lots of things that are not true.

Alan Cohen
    The Tao Made Easy

• illinoislady

Petite, just wow!! Sounds like the storm is due to be really a doozer. I read one report that said 20 ft. surge. I sure hope it works out a lot better than it sounds. Thinking you could have your house guests for some time. Hopefully your area will be ok.

We have sun this morning. Nice not to have the drippy wet grayness of another rain day. Just hope it doesn't soak us with too much humidity. Still, we did need some rain. Ground is quite damp still so hope the temps. don't go too far up and we can maintain some of the benefits from the rain for a while.

Just the usual work day things — partly what pops up and then my list which I'm always paring little pieces from as I get a bit of spare time. Time to work on bills too. So plenty on the plate.

Hope you all stay well and comfortable.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 929

Thinking of you and your friends Petite. Prayers for safety.

Helene is headed for the western part of NC this time so we are expected to see very little. Debby did damage from which the area is still recovering And even the additional rain we'll get is not welcome.