Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

1158015811582158315841586»

Comments

• malleemiss251
    malleemiss251 Member Posts: 544

@petite1, congratulations on your excellent results. It has given me a boost this morning🙏

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 37,966

((((Petite))))) for the good news. Glad your waiting is over and you know there is a fix you can live with.

• cindyny
    cindyny Member Posts: 1,276
    edited September 11

Petite, no cancer - that’s great news!

Jackie, I can’t watch the replays of 9/11. I did see some photos that Katie Couric had in an email. We had offices around the corner, thankfully unoccupied at the time.

Carole, I hope your sister fared well. A report on my phone said Francine has hit as a cat 2.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,264

Petite - WONDERFUL news. Congrats,

• 1946taco
    1946taco Member Posts: 281

Hurray Petite! Now Haley just needs to get her chemo done.

Glad someone (sorry I can't remember who said it) has heard from Sandy. We know from experience, a house fire is really a long term event.

Hope your family and friends are able to stay safe, Carole.

Last day of PT tomorrow. I'm ready to go back to golf! See ortho in 2 weeks but all seems well. Best indication is that my five year old surgery leg hurts more than the new left. Ankle still tender and I'm wearing a light-weight brace during the day but have ditched those lovely white long stockings. DH is really happy about that.

AZ is really getting our share of presidential commercials. Please let it be over. Finally going to be in the 90's next week. We may get to open the house in the mornings.

• petite1
    petite1 Member Posts: 2,267

Carole, Hope all is safe.

• illinoislady

We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.     -The Talmud

• illinoislady

It is a glorious privilege to live, to know, to act, to listen, to behold, to love. To look up at the blue summer sky; to see the sun sink slowly beyond the line of the horizon; to watch the worlds come twinkling into view, first one by one, and the myriads that no person can count, and lo! the universe is white with them; and you and I are here.     -Marco Morrow

• illinoislady

Happy Friday. It was raining this morning when I got up. I had no idea is was forecast, but we did need it. While most of the yard is fine (not too dried out) there were some patches showing. It hasn't been so extreme as in past years so a lot more green than usual, but those small patch area did have that dry, dusty look to them. Glad we got a nice drink of water outside. Late afternoon and still only 76 (a bit humid likely though) out of doors.

I'm thinking about all of you and hope you have a wonderful day.

• illinoislady

Good morning. Sun is out early. Hope it doesn't get too warm or humid today. We are going out this evening (late afternoon actually) to have dinner. Birthday yesterday. It's official. I'm 79. Truthfully, it feels a bit strange. Then again, I recall long ago thinking someone my age was definitely over the hill and speeding precariously. I'm pretty sure those people didn't feel that any more than I do now. It is just interesting.

Mind you I'm not complaining, but I do think I'd be feeling a bit 'younger' save for the open heart three yrs. ago. While I'm physically fine now and I think not bad mentally either, I'm much, much slower at everything. Acceptance of the slow-down has been difficult and I've had trouble accepting that I'm a heart patient.

Well, life does go on so if you are not 79 yet but do get there —don't worry about the hill. Turns out it is just a gentle incline.

Hope you all have a great Saturday.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,074

Happy Birthday, Jackie. Hope you enjoy your celebratory dinner.

Our warm days and cool nights weather pattern continues. This weekend will probably be the final weekend at the lake for most of our seasonal folks. Mary and Lyman will be departing on Monday so no gatherings on their deck for the rest of 2024. It will be very quiet around here.

A surprising conversation with dh recently. He remarked that he would like to have someone trim his toenails. I suggested a pedicure might be nice and he was agreeable. I made an appointment for him yesterday at a salon that has men customers.

Happy Saturday to everyone.

• cindyny

Jackie, Happy Birthday!🎂🎉 I like the incline vs a hill.

Carole, many salons I’ve been in (NY & FL) have had men clients. Your fortunate dh is agreeable. My gf husband goes with her, although at times she’d like time alone. My partner won’t go.

Our weather has been the best all summer or best that I can remember. Sunny days in low 80’s and cool cool nights. I’ve been hanging at the pool, in & out with a book. Yesterday I was in the pool holding the book on the skimmer cover so the sun was at my back. Otherwise I had the book on the deck, with me in the pool. I’m not a swimmer, I’m a reader.

No plans other than to get outside. I should have gotten dressed asap and went for a walk. I still can if I hurry.
    Enjoy the day!

• harley07
    harley07 Member Posts: 341

Jackie - Happy Birthday 🎊🎊

Cindy - sounds like a perfect day in the pool. We have mid 80’s here this weekend so I may be heading out to the pool as well.

Petite - awesome news that there is no cancer!

Final chemo is done! Time to return to ‘normal’ life.

Have a great weekend!

• illinoislady

Hooray, Hallelujah, Fantastic, Marvelous, Wonderful Stupendous —- so glad to hear you are done with your chemo Harley. NORMAL, yes it is sure time for you to be done and get some life back. I can't wait till you are your whole great self again and done with all the after sloughing off that takes a bit after treatment. Yay, yay, yay.

• carolehalston

Yay, Harley! Good news that you had the final chemo treatment.

• illinoislady

I shall open my eyes and ears. Once every day I shall simply stare at a tree, a flower, a cloud, or a person. I shall not then be concerned at all to ask what they are but simply be glad that they are. I shall joyfully allow them their "divine, magical, and ecstatic" existence.

Clyde S. Kilby

• cindyny

Harley, so good to hear you've completed the chemo!

It’s another beautiful day, sunny heading up to 83. No plans, lazy Sunday, futzing in the yard will be my highlight.

Not sure I’ve mentioned my niece and grandniece have covid. Younger one was sicker than her mom, but Paxlovid seems to have helped a lot. Last night, after thinking she got off lightly, the mom was hit with more symptoms. She immediately took her Paxlovid script. We’ve missed them, no visits while sick. And we’re glad we got the most recent vaccination over 2 weeks ago!

My one gf said - it’s back to school, share the germs time. Knocking on wood, I don’t want to share any germs.

• illinoislady

Over the years I have come to believe that life is full of unchosen circumstances, that being human has to do with the evolution of our individual consciousness and with it, responsibilities for choice. Pain and joy both come with life. I believe that how we respond to what happens to us and around us shapes who we become and has to do with the psyche or the soul’s growth.

Jean Shinoda Bolen

• illinoislady

Good Monday morning to all. Already 76 here. A bit warmer as well as some humidity as the air conditioner has been coming back on. It is typical for this time of year. Just hope the humidity settles some.

Today is my total cat box cleaning day. Everything gets it, the boxes, inside and out, as well as the areas around. We got new boxes a while back and I'm really liking them. They are actual metal on the bottom and really it is difficult for anything to really 'stick' on the floor portion of the box. There are two sections to the cover of the box so that you only have to remove the smaller top piece to clean inside daily which makes them very handy. Each box also came with a handy scoop holder and scoop and the holder fits nicely on the side of the box — so more having to drag the scoop with me. As well there is a step-riser that sits in front of the box. The purpose is to catch what is on the feet when leaving the box. I will say it helps, but any cat owner knows that you can find litter far away from the box.

Being sure now that everyone enjoyed hearing about cat elimination boxes we will move on. Fall starting was very apparent this morning. The propane delivery guy showed up to fill for the upcoming winter season. He will be here likely at least two more times to add as we use gas through the cold months. They only fill to about 85 %. Sure had me thinking Fall was most definitely here though. Recent rains did green us up a bit, but you can tell the grass is tired and getting ready to rest. A few leaves have fallen and some trees are already turning a bit. The leaves are droopy now and haven't had their uplifted leaves for some time. Just all the little things that say get ready —its coming.

Nothing else special today. Taking one of the cats to the Vet again. Remi is an allergy cat and has had issues since the day she came to stay here. She was out of a feral group from my friend Loretta's farm. Don't know why she seemed to have 'tamed' herself and would (rather than run) seem to seek out interactions with humans. Just a lesson in how smart animals can be. So, one day I decided to bring her home and it has been vet visits ever since.

Hope you all have a wonderful day.

• petite1

Happy Birthday, Jackie

No more chemo YAY, harley

• 1946taco
    1946taco Member Posts: 281

Yea, Haley!! Hope you'll soon be back at the food bank and others things you enjoy.

Belated happy birthday, Jackie. At 78, I know the feeling. In fact, had breakfast this morning with the CEO of the food bank that I used to be the president of the board of directors, and I realized again what a lift off my shoulders resigning was. I love Jesse and know he is totally committed to his work and his ministry, but way too much fell on me rather than staff they need and don't have.

Enjoyed my breakfast though and did some mall browsing while Ella was skating. Walked more than usual with minimal knee pain.

Hope Betrayal is doing okay with her travels. Sounded wonderful but also exhausting.

Has anyone heard from Chris? Sandy?

Have a good week everyone. It looks like the over 100 degree days are finally over for Phoenix! Another hurray!

• illinoislady

As yesterday is history, and tomorrow may never come, I have resolved from this day on, I will do all the business I can honestly, have all the fun I can reasonably, do all the good I can willingly, and save my digestion by thinking pleasantly.

Robert Louis Stevenson

• carolehalston

Taco, playing golf in 100 degree weather doesn't seem safe. You recovered fast from your partial knee replacement. My dh's knee surgery is scheduled for late October. I'm thinking his will be total replacement.

It would be nice to hear from Sandy, Chris, MM and others who are MIA.

We're due for another unseasonably warm and humid day, high about 80. I plan to drive the golf cart to nearby Eagle View GC and play some holes. DH went to town to the gym.

I hope Betrayal is having a great time on her trip.

Happy Tuesday.

• petite1

Good morning. Not much going on here. I have a lunch planned with my BFF and a trip to the library. This afternoon I have a meeting at church to do get well cards for those members that are ill. Hope everyone has a pleasant day.

• cindyny

Sandy, I think stepped away from having so much on her plate, with the house fire. MM I think took a break too. Chris was saying she’d look sporadically, I think. I miss them all too. It’s like Al Roker says, we find out “what’s going on in your neck of the woods.”

I met a gf for a walk yesterday, beautiful weather. Then once I was home I started on my garden tasks. Some hydrangeas that bloomed on old wood this year (a first for me in upstate NY), the stalk/branch died off - so I started cutting them out. Then got the electric trimmer out to take off a lot from Barberry shrub. Worst part is then cutting them into smaller pieces to get into a yard waste bag - our town stopped letting us use barrels or bins. Those suckers hurt! Poked myself several times even with leather gloves on.

Today another beautiful day and back to tackle the other Barberry bush. I chopped it all down with the trimmers, cut out some dead stuff, then left it all. Had lunch and watched Y&R (crazy as ever, if you watch you know), then back out to cut into smaller pieces for the bag. I did that in the shade of the side gate. Oh boy oh boy, not fun. I’m taking a break, partner attacking the corner where errant crap trees try to grow.

I’m going back out to water everything and then I’m done. Deck with a book and maybe I’ll get into the pool too. Enjoy the day!

• illinoislady

Coming late today. Tackled those boxes and turned into a major undertaking. I've done them piecemeal, but this was the first time since we got the boxes to go through the whole complete process. Although these are the best boxes we've ever had, at the same time with the extra parts it does seem (to do the whole complete procedure at one time) a major undertaking. My solution is to not do all the boxes same day — one a day will be plenty.

Taco, glad you did let go of your Board of Directors presidential spot. I think it is easy to let someone highly competent go and not realize how much they REALLY are getting done. Someone who cares will do ALL the work and do it right —- so it looks so well to others and not so difficult and they don't realize how much of you has had to go into making it that way.

I think we all miss the ladies when they don't or can't come. I hope when life gets smoother for them perhaps, they will find their way back.

Carole, hot and humid is not your style I know. I think it is pretty much short=lived where you are, and I hope that is the case right now as well.

Petite, you have a nice day planned. Good for you. It sounds very relaxed.

Cindy. I don't envy your Barberry adventures. If we follow the guidelines, we can burn yard waste and we sometimes do since we are out her in the country part of where we live. You can burn in town too, but we are separated well out here and they do not have that nice feature in town.

A book and pool later on sound pretty good to me. Enjoy.

Hope you are all having a good day. Hi to all for now non-posters and (((( Puffin))) and anyone else who is in need. In your pockets.

• cindyny

My eye saga: I saw the eye plastic surgeon this afternoon. As it turns out it’s a chalazion (I googled how to pronounce it), and it’s so tiny at this point he didn’t need to treat it. He says it will go away on its own. PHEW! I’m done with ointment in the eye. He also checked the pressure in that eye so I was able to cancel the appointment on Friday with my regular eye Dr.

I had ordered a light weight fleece for my sister as a Christmas gift. I’m one if those people that buy early if I see a good deal. Well I must not have paid a lot of attention to my order, because it was delivered to my FL address. UGH! I had to ask a neighbor if she could toss it in my garage. Unfortunately it was pouring and I told her to wait; no need to get drenched for me. When she got to it there were some wet areas. She’s so sweet, she opened the bag and hung it up to dry for me. Great neighbors!

When going through email I saw a credit card statement come in for payment. As I went through it I got my checkbook out to record the payment, and opened my online banking. Turns out when I took money out for the tree guy, used Venmo for a fundraiser - 3 mums, and paid Amazon online - I never entered any of that in my check register! That’s so not like me. I was quite surprised.

I need to focus - the shipment and not marking my check register was sloppy. No harm done, just questioning my sanity.