Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,357
    edited June 2010

Pam, you too give such good advice -- I never thought of keeping after them until you get what services are needed to get an answer asap.  I guess they see so many that it is easy to "forget" someone is afraid, alone, waiting what much seem like an endless amt. of time and having the most dire thoughts and feelings all the while.  Also, I concur that while drugs are not a "great" answer they could certainly be used for brief times to help you cope. 

Did I tell you....Libra's are great.

Hugs, Jackie

• lebrecht
    lebrecht Member Posts: 56
    edited June 2010

Lisa:

Yes the same weather here. June Gloom! But we do get sun by noon. It is the humidity that I really hate. I hate a high humidity. I live on the third floor of a three story apartment, and it seems to always be hotter up here. I think the heat sits on the roof. How dare I complain when I see what is happening elsewhere!

Have a good weekend everyone. For me it is great as I get two days OFF from the radiation.

Anne

• lebrecht
    edited June 2010

Shannon:

I hope this is a false reading and that all goes well. I will keep my hopes UP!

Anne

• Dilly
    Dilly Member Posts: 394
    edited June 2010

Hello Ladies,

Reading some of your posts gives me a sense of a community of friends, and I hope I might join you for this journey.  I'm an oldie but goodie myself (64 next month; 7 g'kids and one great-). 

I am scheduled to start radiation this week, and of course nervous about it.  My history runs back to my 1996 50th birthday mammo, when I was dx with DCIS in RB.  Had lumpectomy & no further treatment.  All went well until this year's mammo showed a small spot on LB.  After a core biopsy determined IDC, I went back to my same surgeon and had another lumpectomy on 4/28/10. <1 cm; stage 1b, grade 2; ER+, PR-, Her2-, SN-. My surgeon is sure this is a new event, not a recurrence.  She is focused on BC and finding a cure, and she is big on BCT. 

Since I'd met my deductible, I went ahead and did the Oncotype DX test.  Results came back Thursday, showing a score of 25.  Not what I'd hoped.  My med onc suggests I'd do well to have chemo,  and I postponed the rad. which was supposed to start Monday, while we consider my options.  All in all, I've decided to take my chances.  I'll be calling back on Monday morning to re-shedule the rads, and skip chemo; but will take an AI after the rads.  Probably Arimidex as my insurance won't pay for Femara unless or until it's proven Arimidex and I don't get along.

There's a BC support group over near my surgeon, and after I called for info, they took me under their wing, and call once a week to check on me.  That's one of the kindest things ever.

Other than being anxious to get on the other side of rads, and "what about AI SE's" nervousness, I feel fine!  But I also have a rare skin condition, an autoimmune disease that gets worse with stress, so I am working hard to stay calm.  Not having the best results with that, but DH and I are working on building an endorphin reserve in the here and now; and making plans for a big celebratory vacation when all's done.

I wish you all a great weekend, filled with people and things you love. It's a beautiful sunny day in the Sierras, and a good day to be alive. 

• illinoislady
    edited June 2010

Welcome to you Lost Creek.

Unfortunately, we have all the room in the world for you.  We'd like to be able to write " No Longer In Use " on the doors of this special club but we are not there yet.  Hoping though, always hoping..

You sound like you have done a lot of homework and have decided how you wish to deal with this.  I will say though that there are some chemo's that are somewhat easier on a person than others -- still you know yourself, and are probably doing just what you would have done if you had not done your ONCO test. 

I think Arimidex is the newest of the AI's and is recommended a lot. I take it and do not feel much at all, but then my life is busy and unless something really impinges a whole heck of a lot chances are by the time I can around to giving it some consideration -- it may well be gone.   Sort of a good way to separate what needs fixin' and what doesn't. 

I hope you will come often and chat with us.  We do a lot of sharing here --- about a lot of things, not just cancer.  By the way....I'm a really, really young 64 yr. old too.  Also, my folks lived in the Sierra foothills right above Clovis, Calif.  They retired there.  They have both passed on now, but they lived in Burrough Valley for almost 9 years. 

Good day to all of you.

Hugs, Jackie 

• Dilly
    edited June 2010

Jackie, thanks for the welcome, your kindness shows in every one of your posts, and I appreciate your caring attitude.  It's a rough patch of life for us, and many of the posts I read from others strikes a chord of sympathy or empathy, as we all struggle to come to grips with the reality of the here and now, and how our lives have changed.  Having a forum like this is most helpful, the tips and personal experiences, the uplifting remarks & photos, the sharing of good and bad.  One of the hardest things is feeling alone. 

It's chore day, and I guess I should get on with it; feeling grateful for chores to do and the ability to do them!  Have a good weekend.

Kathryn

• Julia257
    Julia257 Member Posts: 203
    edited June 2010

Welcome Kathryn, I hope all goes well for you and that you will be taking that celebratory vacation very soon.  I know the feeling of disbelief, dejavu all over again.  But just like the first time, you will put this behind you and be in good health in no time.  Good luck and all my best wishes.

Jackie, this morning my neighbor brought me in to see her doggie's 7 puppies born last week.  What precious little sweeties and momma is taking such good care of them and loving every minute.

• flyingdutchess
    flyingdutchess Member Posts: 107
    edited June 2010

Lost creek,  I had radiation and it was not nearly as bad as I was warned.  I was SLIGHTLY fatigued and at the end a little bit "sunburned" I kept it to a minimum by lotioning up my breast like crazy. By the way I am Kathryn too even spelled the same way.

Shannon,  It is so scary not to know.  But, if it is a reoccurance thank goodness they caught it now and can treat it before it is more advanced.  If it is not (as I hope) you can breathe a good sigh of relief and go on with your life.  There is nothing I can say about the agony of waiting.  It is pure hell---we have all been there.  I am sending good vibes your way.

Kat

• flyingdutchess
    edited June 2010

Lost creek,  I had radiation and it was not nearly as bad as I was warned.  I was SLIGHTLY fatigued and at the end a little bit "sunburned" I kept it to a minimum by lotioning up my breast like crazy. By the way I am Kathryn too even spelled the same way.

Shannon,  It is so scary not to know.  But, if it is a reoccurance thank goodness they caught it now and can treat it before it is more advanced.  If it is not (as I hope) you can breathe a good sigh of relief and go on with your life.  There is nothing I can say about the agony of waiting.  It is pure hell---we have all been there.  I am sending good vibes your way.

Kat

• illinoislady
    edited June 2010

I think puppies are some of the sweetest things this side of heaven :

and kitties too.  I think for me the calling was --- can't be a female minister so I will help God by helping the companion friends he gave us.  You know -- watching baby puppies or kitties is really an amazing thing.  The Mom -- and I think 99% are extremely good at it, is always teaching them things.  We don't always recognize it -- but she does.  I would absolutely love to dive into a box of new puppies.  Nothing sweeter. 

Well, my lovely friends.....night has fallen and it is once again time to fill the coffee pot and hit the timer for tomorrow morning.  I've had a shower and jammies are the uniform now.  I'll be loading the last load of clothes for the day into the dryer on my way through the hall.  I think we still have some rain outside....but it is ok.  I'd rather have it most of the time at night anyway.  I have too much to do during the day.  Hope it has been a fantastic day for all of you today.  I'll be chatting with you again tomorrow.

Healthy, healing hugs,  Jackie

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited June 2010

Lost Cabin,

My oncotype score was 27 or 28... can't believe I can't remember now! At the time it seemed so important. Anyway, my Drs all said no to chemo and put all the eggs in one basket, Arimidex. They said it was the big gun to prevent mets. I hope they are right.  So my age at DX (62) + low mitosis rate + high ER status were the deciding factors.

Wishing us both good luck!

pam 

• lebrecht
    edited June 2010

HI lost Creek:

Welcome..

Like you I asked a lot of questions and was so fearful before I started the radiation. I have started last week and had 4 treatments so far. It is just fine at this point and I now wonder why I was so frightened. I have diabetes and so a bad autoimmune system like you. I will need 7 weeks at 5days a week of radiation. Unfortunately I had TWO lymph nodes with cancer. It seems that perhaps you had none?

I wish you luck and I know that you will see that the radiation is painless and quick. The longest part is getting you into position.  I am in and out within fifteen minutes. First the set up appointments to film and set you up in the position those were two appointments about 1 hour each. But this allowed you to see the machinery and to feel more at ease.

Anne

• lebrecht
    edited June 2010

I have another question for all of you who fairly recently had radiation?????

Can you recall how many times the radiation zapped you for each treatment?

Remember how you lie still and then you hear the ZAPP sound of the radiation. (or hum)  How many times did you have this each time?

The reason I ask is that because of the need to radiate the lymph nodes, and the fact that I am big breasted it was explained I would need more radiation. So now I am curious.

I get  one long Zap then a pause then a short Zap then a pause then another long Zap.

Then the technician enters and moves the machine to another angle, then leaves.

I then again get one long zapp,  a pause, then a short zap, then a pause, then a long one.

The total of 6 zaps....I must not move until all is over....About 15 minutes in all.

Please describe if and how yours may have been different? I am curious if this is the same for all, or that  each one gets a different treatment?

Thanks to you all,

Anne

• flyingdutchess
    edited June 2010

Sounds just like the treatment I had.

Kat

• Julia257
    Julia257 Member Posts: 203
    edited June 2010

Hey Jackie, love's in the air and in the planter...what a gorgeous duo!  Thank you for my new desktop joy.  So glad to hear that you are not having a difficult time with Arimidex.  I somehow suspect that there may be moments perhaps that you may be too occupied elsewhere to pay a distraction any attention.  I hope and pray it's always "like butta" for you.  I'll be starting 5 yrs of Arimidex on Wed...yippeeee!!! (thinking positively).  Wishing on my last eyelash and praying that this med has a greater than 100% effectiveness for all of us.

• illinoislady
    edited June 2010

Here are some of my best loved animal quotes.  I'll be back to chat in a bit.  I have to go give my animals their breakfast:

Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions; they pass no criticisms. George Eliot

It is inexcusable for scientists to torture animals; let them make their experiments on journalists and politicians. Henrik Ibsen

The best thing about animals is that they don't talk much. Thornton Wilder

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. Mahatma Gandhi

• pj12
    edited June 2010

Good AM lebrecht,

I finished radiation a year ago but remember it quite well :-(  I had IMRT which required lengthy set up  each day with daily CT scans to start ...... but ......... once set up, one zap of about 15-20 seconds, the machine repositioned by itself, then a second zap of 15-20 seconds. I, too, am fairly large breasted but no nodes. I did not think my axilla was treated but since it is still hairless and does not perspire it must have been, maybe during the boosts as the angles changed for them.

With set up TX was always at least 30 minutes, sometimes an hour to get set up right ????? Pure torture laying there all that time but the radiation part was quick and easy.

Good luck the rest of the way.

pam 

• lassie11
    lassie11 Member Posts: 468
    edited June 2010

When I asked, I found out that the radiation sounds weren't all what I thought they were. What I thought was radiation happening was something else. I don't know if all machines are the same or not.

• Dilly
    edited June 2010

Good Morning ladies - Jackie, Julia, Kat, Pam and Anne, thank you for welcoming me.   It'll take me awhile to learn names &c, but we're on a long journey here.  This seems like a real nice group of women -  I appreciate your welcome and the input.  This forum will be one of my blessings and a safe harbor I am sure. -

Like many of you I am far from a support group, and even if there was one close-by I doubt that I'd muster the wherewithal to dress & go out.  Plus, I'm one of the gals on our hill who proudly states "I haven't been to "town" for xx weeks!" Living in the mtns for such a long time, I'm a real stay-at-home.  Going down for rads 30+ times will equal four or five years' worth of my normal trips down the hill into "civilization" for supplies.

I am enjoying your photos of your gardens and critters. Eventually I'll find some to share too and learn how to do it.  It's pretty here, God did a good job without my help. Being innately lazy, I just watch the seasons and appreciate.  We do have a few flowers, some small fruit trees, and a small veggie garden, tho.  By the summer's end you'll undoubtedly hear me rant about the need for folks to be fire-safe, another one of my passions and activities.

Hope you all have a good day.  For us it's the once-a-month breakfast with bro & wife.  Always lots of laughs & good hugs.  That's my wish for you and yours for the day.  Lots of laughs and good hugs.

"Find what you really care about, and live a life that shows it."  Kate Wolf

• illinoislady
    edited June 2010

Good morning ladies, as the morning took over itself.  I had plans that just did a total evaporation so I'm starting over.  It is quiet ( quiet is so good sometimes ) here at the moment.  I had such an uproar earlier when some deer meandered through my yard.  The three inside dogs ( actually glad they were inside ) set up an unbelievable howling and barking. 

I was on the phone with Dh at that time.  He, as I probably mentioned is in S. Dakota visiting his three adult kids.  We got through but due to all this -- my plans went out the window.  Talked to him way to long.

Lost Creek, I think I bear a small resemblance to you.  I could nearly stay home forever for the most part.  If I did not have to go out ( but my job, as well as my older friend Maggie, as well at the feral cats ) make it imperative that I budge now and then -- actually on a daily basis.  Before I did these other things.....my car would usually sit long two or three days at a stretch --- before I ran our of something and had to go to town.  Town for me is a couple miles west of where I live out here at Raccoon Lake. 

Julia, I think I come from a long line of stoic, get it done people, and guess I would be worried about letting my wonderful ancestors down if I didn't try to follow in their footsteps at least part of the time.  I do hope your path with Arimidex is smooth and un-complicated.  I should "fess" up, as I do think it conspired to play with some of my other bodily levels ..... high cholesterol, higher sugar etc.....but I have that all under control.  The major issue for most it seems is if their is pain and it is true.....that is something that has to catch me first. 

I hope you are all looking to have a really marvelous Sunday.  Lost Creek, you are apparently another quote lover.  I live by quotes.  Rita, a pretty blond lady who also blogs here started a thread  ( just gals from Illinois ) shortly after her diagnosis.  Somehow I had the good fortune to find it......and I am still there after all this time.  One of the things I do daily on that thread is find an uplifting quote to share with everyone.  It does such good for me and I almost do not know how I would feel if I could not do it anymore.  Life could be bleak --- but it is still heaven where I come from and I am thankful that it is.

See you all later on.

Happy, healing hugs, Jackie

• shannon56
    shannon56 Member Posts: 33
    edited June 2010

A HUGE thank-you to all who have sent me their wishes and prayers.  I'm scheduled for an ultra-sound and biopsy on June 22.  What really blew me away was the dramatic drop in 5yr survival if it's an ipsilateral recurrence.  I've pretty much decided what I'll do if it's truly a recurrence so I feel a lot more stable right now.

I already take anti-anxiety meds and that's probably why I'm not completely freaked out.  Just very very frustrated.  On a general note I requested (actually demanded) chemo the first go round primarily because I had a very agressive form of bc and all I can say from my experience is chemo wasn't as bad as most people said it would be.  I was very very blessed with little to no SEs and I felt so guilty that I quit coming to this forum.  I think I'd have prefered a few more SEs than have a recurrence.

Good luck and may God be with all of you.

• melissa-5-19
    melissa-5-19 Member Posts: 251
    edited June 2010

Well once again we get new comers- you won't be new long we accept with open arms the new members- I can't imagine the bad news twice and will pray like a crazy woman for you- Shannon that you get positive results and that you others are strong and have successful treatments.

92 degrees here- muggy and we are in the air conditioning. Planted 3 fruit trees this morning 2 apple and an apricot- potatoes growing like gangbusters, dog a joy but so silly as puppies should be!

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352
    edited June 2010

I did rads nearly 7 years ago, and can't remember the sounds and seconds ! 

I'm still hairless, but under BOTH arms, and don't perspire under either arm, and I only had rads to RHS. Probably LHS came out in sympathy.

What I DO remember was the awkward receptionist who tried to make my time there as awkward for me as she could. I was busy running my dog kennels then, VERY busy, and she insisted I was there each morning at 11 am, come hell or high water. Now and then machine broke down, and the waiting list got out of proportion, she had me waiting three and a half hours one day. I asked could she please ring and let me know if the list was backed up, and I could carry on with my work, and come in later. She refused, so every morning at 10.30 I would ring her to ask the situation. She asked me to refrain from ringing each day because the line had to be kept free.

Red rag to a bull !!! I kept on ringing her, and when she got my bc nurse to 'have a word with me' I gave her a blast in front of a full waiting room. I cannot stand these little Hitlers, and she got me on a bad day, so she got a telling off. I can be as calm and polite as the next, but when some stupid woman is objecting to me trying to save time for myself she got it. 2 other people in the waiting room backed me, unexpectedly, as most people just shuffle down into their seats and pretend its not happening....but these 2 said they couldn't sit there all day either.

Welcome lost creek, sorry you're here, but you'll be OK now you've found us.

I have had a very lazy Sunday, coloured my hair, did me a face pack, and then just shut myself away in my sewing room, and tried to make inroads into my pile of alterations, whilst watching Canadian Grand Prix. I love motor sport, and always follow the Grand Prix round the world. It has been throwing it down with rain all day, or I would have been out in the garden weeding , the weeds are growing at an alarming rate. I always have a lot of hand weeding to do, as I let my borders self seed, so always have to get down on my knees and crawl around carefully weeding. I do wish some of the grandchildren would learn from me which is a plant I need to save, or a weed that needs to go, then I could get them bending and crawling.....but not one of them have the slightest interest in my garden.

Isabella.

• pj12
    edited June 2010

My rads facility was often not on time too. DH insisted on driving me... his "contribution".... but it just made me more nervous knowing he was waiting. A few times I went traipsing out in my gown to find him to tell him what was going on! Happy memories Wink

In Florida the weeds grow faster than the ornamentals! An unending job. We just watched the movie It's Complicated. There are a couple scenes of the most fabulous home garden you ever saw! Only on a movie set would you see such perfection.

Happy Sunday night, all

pam 

• illinoislady
    edited June 2010

Pam,I watched that movie as well.  I can watch almost anything Meryl Streep does.  She is so talented.  I'll never forget ( and I'm sure I've still a copy or two around here ) her "Postcards From The Edge".  Also " Bridges of Madison County ".  I would imagine I have at least two copies of that one as well.  I do and have worn out many movies.  Apparently some will always have the power of appeal. 

All I really recall of my rads....they were boring. The V.A. put me up in a motel.  Every morning they sent a cab to pick me up and take me to rads.  The cabbie would wait, then take me to the V.A. where I would have some lunch.  Then the motel owner would come to the V.A. and pick me up.  Back to the boring motel.  The rads did not take long -- just getting placed on the table correctly.  At the end I did get to be a bit of a crispy critter but lots of lotions got me through.  It was a breath of fresh air up next to chemo. 

I'll see you all tomorrow.

Hugs, Jackie

• pj12
    edited June 2010

Oh, I loved Postcards From the Edge... but never could get Meryl Streep as Shirley McLaine's daughter. Both of them were great, just not a mother-daughter match, I thought. Also, loved her in Heartburn with Jack Nicholson.

Back to the basketball game...

pam 

• melissa-5-19
    melissa-5-19 Member Posts: 251
    edited June 2010

I did not do rads and my hat is off to all that did- Hang in and count on these experienced woman to support you.

I havew weeding to do but then there is a theroy that the weeds protect from lose of mositure- ha as they choke the life out of my little peas! My GS is a sissy about "bugs", " aaaaah an ant, oh a worm, GM a fly , I have to go in,,,,,," so I will be with Isabella on my hands and knees and I have decided to love every minute of it!

Night ladies XXOO Miss Kitty

• pj12
    edited June 2010

Females are definitely the stronger sex. An ant bit my GS's ear one day and I thought he was going to have a fit.... GS, not the ant. It was an ordinary ant, not even a fire ant. And a spider is a national emergency. It's almost like children now are hermetically sealed and protected from NATURE. Good grief.

pam 

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited June 2010

Saw my oldest son and granddaughter yesterday..she is Daddy's girl

• pj12
    edited June 2010

lovely picture