Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited October 2010

Speaking of canceling appointments at the last minute...... an unpleasant trend has developed in our area. Now, if you cancel within less than 48 hours, you are charged a fee, like $20.00! How do you know 48 hours in advance an emergency is arising? The thing is this is not NYC and doctors are not booked up months in advance. I can always get an appt within a week. This is just another way to replace income lost to reduced insurance payments. I liked it better when you paid your doctor with butter or eggs :-)

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,418
    edited October 2010

Good morning ladies and Alyson and pj it is nice to see you.  Now where is SoCal.  I think you are so right on pj with finding ways to increase funds when Ins. is not paying enough.  I worked in an office many years ago --- the standard practise then was to way over-bill.  The theory behind it was that the Dr. would actually receive all the money he felt he was entitled too.  Can I be really bad here and say --- all the money he needed to support the lifestyle he wished to treat himself to --- but never-the-less, even many years back, it was a trend that was being practised and when Ins. is billed at a high rates....their rates go up while you get less coverage in one way or other and eventually everyone is paying through the nose.  No wonder we have such problems with Ins. now.  People can't afford it in many cases, and don't have it.....and those that do often due to deductibles have to time visits etc. just right.  I think it is going to take more than one Pres. to get so many of the messes we are in ( housing market is another  along with bank practises and credit ) to a point where it goes back into some reasonable semblance of order. 

Sorry -- just a few of my un-profound thoughts.  I'd like to go back to the butter and eggs for several things Pam.  I remember when your neighbor helped you dig a well, and you helped him put a roof on his house.  Those really were the days -- but we didn't have as much appreciation for them then as we do now.  We just took them as a matter of course -- didn't know such good things wouldn't have a lasting quality. 

Hugs, Jackie

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 709
    edited August 2013

Hey, where is Lisa?? Missing ya gal and you need to find some winter flowers to post pix of. OMG, ya'll are not going to believe this one. And it is for real!! I sent in video and still pix of me billfishing with my charter crew (Capt Steve Jones and Ryan, my first mate) to Discovery Channel and they just contacted me by email saying they want to do a feature of us on Animal Planet. OK now I am blown away!! Holy cow! I just had to brag. Good Lord, I had hair then!!

• Unknown
    edited October 2010

SV, So you're gonna be a star now, are you?  Animal Planet used to be one I wached all the time....the Animal cops from Houston, Detroit and I forget where. My friends would ask Why do you watch those shows that are so upsetting to you and I said because it felt so good to see those people who were abusing animals get arrested.  Now we have cable and I can't even find the channel most of the time...>BUT for sure I will look for it when you are on there. 

I went to that BC luncheon today with my husband....it was called The Pink Ribbon Luncheon and I was one of the few not in pink.  There was a free apron on each chair and a pink spatula and two cooking magazines at each place, Bon Appetite and Food Network Magazine.   It was actually very nice and I could not believe how much auction items were going for.. the Castelini family ( think that is the name...I know nothing about sports) whom I guess own the Reds, donated tickets to the playoff games and world series tickets if the Reds make it, a trip to some place called the Sanctuary and there was a trip to NYC and you got to attend the Iron Chef taping in the Spring and all sorts of then..a Taylor guitar autographed by Taylor Swift went for something like $2,000.....also a Silent Auction with nice stuff, but all to expensive for me to even put a bid down on.....I really think all.the money from all of this was going to BC, to provide mammograms for women who can't afford them with Proscan, to provide transportation with a van called Cruising for a cure I think (you need to check this out Granny, although I know you currently have a driver) ...and also they make these pink bags up and give them to newly diagnosed women with info and things they think they will need.  Cat Cora was featured and did a healthy cooking demo and we had a nice lunch and got recipes for everything that was served.  Since I love cooking, I enjoyed it and my husband actually got tickets for this all on his own.  Wonders never cease.  He's back to his usual drinking beer in front of the tv already, but I guess I will contain my bitching for awhile.  Hi PJ...where have you been?  Bye ladies, am off to buy fresh produce at the farmer's mkt while they still have tomatoes. 

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548
    edited October 2010

Wow SV! Nice fish! You did release him right? They are such beautiful, graceful creatures. I caught one back in 2000, off Ft Lauderdale. I also caught a 35 LB mahi mahi. We kept him and many people ate him.

Marybe, DH's can sometimes amaze and yours certainly got off his duff to do something nice for you.

PJ, you are so right about bartering. Yes, Jackie, life was kinder and simpler then.

LISA-Where ARE you?????

• pj12
    edited October 2010

Just lurking mostly these days. :-)  Enjoy reading what everyone is up to!

pam 

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    edited October 2010

SV AND CHEVY you are both stars.those pics are just wonderful.keep them comin.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 709
    edited October 2010

Yeah, Barb, all billfish are catch and release so there are only seconds to get it in the boat for photoshoot. The bill is really like a freaking sword and they are the most powerful fish in the ocean (sails are the fastest) pound per pound. I had two hit at the same time with only three of us on the boat and ya cannot gaff them-so it was a real circus trying to get them unhooked and hoisted for photo and let go. Sweet dreams all, SV

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited August 2013

Hi all, chevyboy just sent me a message, I was AWOL I guess,.

I really have a hard problem reading long posts without breaks

for some reason,..it limits my being on this particular

link because of that...sorry...my ablility to concentrate

has been a problem for me...

Also, I have to change browsers when I want to post a picture, 

I am not the only person having problems with that I see. 

So, I do keep up with the posts that are shorter...sending hugs to everyone

so here is a picture I took last weekend...

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    edited October 2010

Oh Lisa, beautiful!

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    edited October 2010

i,ve missed all you ladies so much! especially you, S>V> we share some common history, and isabella, i will donate to any fund we do to "see" to your husband. dear def. does not belong there!! i'm going to pout you ALL on my prayer list, its ok, though. i'm not sleeping till 4,5am anymore, so i get to pray for lots of hours. esp. for you, sv..all youre funny, weird things that keep happening. at least there is REAL life happening in your life. not much here. i am not coming back from the mrsa infection, or the surgery, as yet. today was the 1st day i attempted a small walk, and nearly fell. thank God for the walker arrrghh  light and love, 3jaysmom

• 3jaysmom
    edited October 2010

i,ve missed all you ladies so much! especially you, S>V> we share some common history, and isabella, i will donate to any fund we do to "see" to your husband. dear def. does not belong there!! i'm going to pout you ALL on my prayer list, its ok, though. i'm not sleeping till 4,5am anymore, so i get to pray for lots of hours. esp. for you, sv..all youre funny, weird things that keep happening. at least there is REAL life happening in your life. not much here. i am not coming back from the mrsa infection, or the surgery, as yet. today was the 1st day i attempted a small walk, and nearly fell. thank God for the walker arrrghh  light and love, 3jaysmom

• 3jaysmom
    edited October 2010

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited August 2013

Good morning SoCalLisa!  I tracked you down & FOUND you!  Ha!  I think some of the gals have to write long posts because they don't post that often....and we might be the only ones they can talk to.  I know I have also been a little "long winded!"  Wink  But I'm glad you're back!  Thanks for the Phaleanopsis photo!  Another "save as' for my 'desk-top." 

There was this most beautiful orchid plant at my Radiologists office, just like that one!  The stem filled with blossoms was about 1 1/2 feet long, & so beautiful!  I didn't even THINK of taking a picture.  I am going back for my last check-up next month, so I'll see if it's possibly still blooming! 

Anyway, I know the rest of the gals will be happy to see you back!  xoxoxoxoxoxo

• Dilly
    Dilly Member Posts: 394
    edited October 2010

Well, gals, I need a place to release this terrible sadness.  Sadder than bc.  Sunday was a wonderful day with my bro and his #2 son who is home on leave from the Navy.  (His #1 son spent 8 yrs in service after 9/11; and #3 is in the Air Force, just made sergeant). 

Yesterday morning my brother called me, and Nephew 3 has died of some inexplicable and tragic accident (at his base in NC).  He was 22, and one of the lights of my life, and we are all just devastated.  I've spent my time on the floor howling and screaming-- Much harder to take than bc.  He had his whole life before him; he was one of those young people with so much promise - one of the good guys; everyone who met him loved him.   I am just so sad.

Sorry to share here, but .... it's just hard to accept this loss.

• illinoislady
    edited October 2010
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
    Aristotle
  • barbaraa
    edited October 2010

Oh Lost, my sincere condolences! It just sucks that someting like that happens to someone that young!

• illinoislady
    edited October 2010

Lost Creek,

So sorry for this news.  It is so very difficult for those who remain.  The world tilts and looks strange and feels even stranger. I do believe our days are numbered the second we are born and no one really knows how soon or late we will go back to the creator who gave us life.  Prayers of healing and acceptance for you and for this young mans family. 

Healing hugs,  Jackie

• pj12
    edited October 2010

Just heartbreaking. And so unfair. My thoughts are with you and your family, Lost Creek.

pam 

• claude1944
    claude1944 Member Posts: 47
    edited October 2010
    LOST.........Words cannot express the sorrow you must be going through.....know that your bc friends are with you in your grief.........SV......WOW what a picture.....you must be quite a great gal.....can tell by your posts....wouldn't it be great if we could all meet in person and get to know each other and our life trials in person......hugs to all.......Claudia
  • socallisa
    edited October 2010

Loss Creek, so sorry to hear that news...sending hugs , our thoughts are with

you and your family

• socallisa
    edited August 2013
    Edited as it was doubled
  • barbaraa
    edited October 2010

Gals, getting anxious. Scheduled for 6 month post-surgery mammo and US. They called me yesterday and told me to be there Thursday at 3. I guess they knew I couldn't deal with the anxiety of waiting, thanks to the onc.

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited October 2010
    Hi Lost.....I just read.....I'm so sorry......I know it just hurts so much.  There is never a reason, that these things happen....It's so hard to understand.....No matter what the cause was, it doesn't matter now.  I'm sorry.  Frown xoxoxoxxoo
  • FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    edited October 2010

morning girls.

lost ...i have no words for you.sorry just is not enuf

barbara good luck with mamo.

prayin for all as usual.God bless all of us.

huggggggggggs K

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    edited August 2013

Lost,  there is nothing to say but that I'm so sorry for your loss.  My sincere wishes and prayers are for your solace and peace.

• kira1234
    kira1234 Member Posts: 754
    edited October 2010

Lost, I'm so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with  you and your family.

Karen

• kira1234
    kira1234 Member Posts: 754
    edited October 2010

Barbara I will be thinking about you on Thursday.

karen

• Dilly
    Dilly Member Posts: 394
    edited October 2010

Thank you all for your kind wishes and prayers.  They help; and I know those good thoughts are surrounding the spirit of my nephew as he finds his new home with the angels; but golly this is hard.  These three nephews were sort of the sons my DH and I never had, and my bro was good about sharing them when they were young.  Such good memories, and now Ross will stay forever young.

Barb, I'm right behind you with the 6-month mammo, so good luck on Thursday!  I am still sorting out how to do mine since my surgeon is 5 hrs away on the coast, and she will want all the reports &c before the followup exam.  Had considered going to coast for the mammo, but now am thinking that instead will have it done locally, then have the facility mail all the films & reports to the surgeon.  She wants all films.... Anyway, Barb, GOOD LUCK Thursday!

GD, it's good to hear you up and around!  Take care of yourself.

Thanks again, everyone.  Your support makes a difference at a difficult time when little makes sense.  Unfathomable.  I'm sure he will make a wonderful angel - but that's not much comfort right now, maybe later the comfort will come. 

• barbaraa
    edited October 2010

LC Big hugs. Thanks for the atta girl. I needed that. Good luck on yours, too. DO get it local, much less stressful!

My prayers are with you and your family.