Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• dbdaze
    dbdaze Member Posts: 139
    edited January 2011

Heartnsoul76:  HOLY SMOKERS, GIRL you know your history when it comes to houses!!!   I had no idea Sears sold houses -- thanks for the lesson!

My Quest: Discovering the dreams that lie within 

• suzie14
    suzie14 Member Posts: 208
    edited January 2011

H&S, my sister and her dh bought a burned out victorian in western Minnesota and turned it into a B&B. They got it for less than $25,000. They put many bucks into it and major hours of hard work. Now it is worth a lot more than that and even more if the housing market wouldn't have crashed. They painted it in different colors on the outside...just like a painted lady.

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited January 2011

I have to jump in... Sears sold "Craftsman" style bungalows through their catalog from the early 1900s through the 1930s. You got all the parts delivered by rail with directions. They sold them all over the country. There are still several existing houses in central Florida. I think they sold for between $1000 and $3000. 

Amazing! 

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352
    edited January 2011

Alyson...what a lovely house you have. I had no idea  at all that there were houses like  yours in NZ, I had this idea they were all 1 storey sprawling bungalows with green tin roofs.....I was wrong!

Heart and soul....the Painted Lady is a house to die for. You'd never think of putting those colours altogether like that, but boy it really does it for me.  Just after I had my bmx I did a colour scheme very close to that, but in an inside room. I have a building, adjacent to the house, that I take people into when selling puppies. I have it kitted out with a long counter, some cupboards, and 2 large puppy pens, so families can see the puppies. I also have tea/coffee making facilities and a toilet. 3 of the walls were quite plain, and I was so in a terribly shocked state that I just went out, bought around 7 cans of 'icecream' colours, and just painted the walls in all these colours, in varying sizes of triangles...overlapping one another, side by side, some great big ones, some teeny weeny ones, but the end result was quite good.  I just shut myself off, day after day, painting away, often re-painting over some shapes I didn't like, just trying to process what was happenning to me.....I even carried on into my utility room! I got loads of complimentary comments when families came into that room, but I never said WHY I was doing it. It is just about to get another coat of paint, as soon as the damp weather goes, its starting to look tatty, I have no inclination to start doing my triangles again, and not sure what I will do, what colour I will use this time....but it will be a change.

I love to look at old houses, always look at the property for sale each week in our local paper, and buy quite a few 'house' magazines to flick thru'. Our property prices are falling fast....tho' they say land prices are going up! There is very little new building going on, lots of builders, and tradesmen out of work, everything at a standstill. The youngsters will just never be able to get onto the property ladder, because they can't get a mortgage any longer. Not so long ago you just had to walk into your bank, and you'd come out with a mortgage; no longer an option. Business people cannot get an overdaft, or a loan to expand at all. Just everything is in the doldrums ( whatever in the doldrums means....we always say this when things are static....something to do with the sea being very calm I THINK !!)

I have had a very quiet day, just sitting sewing away. I have a monster pile of things waiting for me to alter. SICK of buying trousers that are too long, shirts that want 2" off the bottom, and 3" off the sleeves...and  l usually change the buttons on a shirt, just something a little different. I am very fond of glass , and mother of pearl buttons, so often use these. Also I sometimes pick out some of the pattern with very tiny seed beads......aways have to have something in my hands, can't just sit, I feel lazy....i have just NO IDEA how on earth I will retire..I just have to be doing. When I go visit MIL it drives me crazy just seeing about 20 women just sitting round in a circle, television blaring away in the corner, just waiting to die, basically...no life at all. They sit there like that 365 days a year....soul destroying.

There is one woman in MILs home who suddenly bursts into song, all old songs...the big band sort of thing that were all the rage in the second world war. This was my mothers era, she used to sing with the big bands, had a fantastic voice ( of that era) We kids were always being sung to....she would also sing some most beautiful old melodic lullabys ( what a lovely word that is ) Also a lot of negro (am I allowed to say this !) spiritual songs. The only good thing my mother ever did for me was to instill a love of music in me. Can you just imagine our age group... suddenly blasting out into song, in the old folks homes, with Elvis and Buddy Holly...Queen and Meatloaf !!!!

Keep on putting up house pictures y'all...its so nice to look at things like this.

Isabella.

• Unknown
    edited January 2011

I love the painted lady house....that is what these big old Victorian houses look like in Eureka Springs, AK that are now B &B's.  Thank you for liking my street and the houses on it, Alyson.  It's an OK street, not a great one, but it's a nice neighborhood.....all of the houses on the street are brick....mine actually is not that big....it's got more room than it looks like...goes way back...two BRs on the lst floor and then the upstairs has its own kitchen so I rent it out as an apartment, but before I did that it was a nice guest area and my Dad always liked staying upstairs....then there is a full basement where the washer and dryer are and the finished room that Tim is in most of the time and also the garage is under the house, but it's so full of junk there is no way anyone could park in it.  I will try to find some pics of my dad's house....it's a big old frame house with high ceilings and big room, and I love it, probably because it is the house I grew up in....property in Portsmouth where he lives is way way low and I bet he'd be lucky to get $75,000 out of it and that is with my renovations.  But then again I forget what he told me he paid for it....$10,000 maybe, but that was in 1956.  The houses on my street had gone way up in value for awhile, but the last one that sold went for $99,000 and the neighbors were not too happy about that, but nothing is selling now even with low mortgage rates...people just don't have the money right now.  I like your house....what is the roof, it almost looks like tile.  I have a friend who built a huge house and it's got all these nice features, cathedral ceiling in the great room, but I don't like houses like that....I like old houses with character.  I will take some pics of the really nice houses here in Cincinnati and post them.   In the meantime I think I will take of picture of the lasagna I am baking...the bad thing is, it's for my onco's office so I can't cut into it and see if it's any good.  Lasagna is not something I make often so I ended up using about three different recipes...think last time I made it was for Tim's 60th birthday and that was a huge panful....bigger that this one. I find it rather refreshing to be talking about houses and property values instead of SEs for a change.....makes us all seem a bit more normal. When are you going to NO Dbdaze?....I am going down there to visit my friend, Emily in March....she lives in the Quarter and I love it there.  Well, gotta go look and see what is going on in the oven. 

• Unknown
    edited January 2011

Hi Isabella,  We were writing at the same time.  I think that would be great fun if we all burst into song....when I was shopping with my pal from the old days last weekend, I saw this one dress in several different sizes and said to her, Hey,we should buy these and we could do a Supremes lip sinc at the class reunion.....STOP, In the name of love.  That would be so much fun....or so funny at least.   Meatloaf is one of my all time favorites....Love by the Dashboard Light....have seen him in concert several times and also I love Queen.  Somebody to Love is one of my favorites as well as Bohemian Rhapsody and heck a bunch of them. 

• Unknown
    edited January 2011
    OK, ladies, lasagna done...it just has to sit an hour or so now.  I will expect you all at 7:30....someone bring the salad, another one the garlic bread and the rest of you each bring a bottle of wine.. 
  • msphil
    msphil Member Posts: 185
    edited January 2011

Hello sweetie, I agree that we do need a forum for older women,most of the time when i come online it is younger women on that I can,t identify with, because when I had my surgery and chemo and rads, it was much different then now and the younger ones can,t identify with me, so I just type in when I was diagnosed(9/1993) Idc, stage 2,L mast, chemo, rads,3 nodes involved and try to inspire the youn ones to hang in there, by telling them I,ve been cancer free for 17 yrs. and pray that helps them to have the HOPE we need to get through this. God Bless. msphil(59, 60 in March) God,s Will.  

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited January 2011

Isabella, I will try to get a collection of NZ houses. I can remember as a child commenting that my uncle from UK had a real house, ie it was detatched - actually build 1850s

The first is the oldest house in NZ, a Wellington Villa, colonial cottage and a grand colonial house.

This lot - a State house, a craftsman bungalow (lots of these and the first ones did come from the likes of Sears), a Californian bungalow, an art deco house, a Lockwood- made totally of wood and a modern house. Of course there are many other styles, here in town we are beginning to build terrace style housing to conserve land. Heartnsoul there are some Frank Lloyd Wright inspired designs as well.

I loved the image of us bursting in to songs by Queen, how about the Stones or the Beatles - what fun. I do want to grow old disgracefully but I am too staid unfortunately.

Must away and get myself changed as I have to take my sister for her chemo and I haven't changed since going top the gym

Hope you are all having a great day.

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204
    edited January 2011

dbdaze - that's what was so sad about Sears ending their catalog division. It had a long and interesting history, and sometimes I'm tempted to buy one from the 1970's on eBay just to look at all that orange and green and gold stuff that was popular then. Or think how interesting a 1950's catalog would be!

Isabella - I have always been interested in houses, so I guess I picked the right job for me. So now I have a KEY and can go inside and see some houses I've always wanted to! But they have to be vacant - I won't bother people just so I can satisfy my curiosity unless I have a bonafide buyer. I have a friend who tries to convince me she's a serious buyer so I'll show her a neat house, but I know she can't afford it so I won't show it to her. She'll never move, she's been talking about it for 20 years! I love the colors of the Painted Lady and I can see how painting that room must have been so healing for you. It's a lot of work but so fun to paint a room and see how drastically it changes everything. Our contractors and builders have no work, either. No loans are being made, all business is sloooooow.

Suzie - your sister's B&B is also a Painted Lady! I always wanted to do that, but didn't choose the right husband for the job!

Here are some typical houses in Atlanta. The first one is called a Craftsman Bungalow, built around the 1920's. They were usually centered around a park - this one is in the Candler Park area:

The mid-20th century homes are always popular in Atlanta. They are around 5-10 miles from the city:

Then came the popular style from the 1970's. These are about 10-15 miles from Atlanta:

And lastly, the ones we were talking about Rae. They are larger homes with smaller yards, built from around the 1980s to present day. They are in our "exurbs", about 25 miles from Atlanta.

Of course, the older ones are closer-in and you can see the houses change with the decades as you drive further and further out from Atlanta. Houses give an interesting perspective on trends, lifestyles and demographics over the years. I can always imagine the original owners and what their lives must have been like. 

• Elisimo
    Elisimo Member Posts: 1,262
    edited January 2011

Marybe - I'll bring the salad.  I make a big one like they have at Olive Garden that always get rave reviews and some people even request it for different parties.  I need to PM you.  Now that you can post pictures you can teach me how to do it.

I have been sleeping most of the day and not doing much of anything.  I do feel a little better that I have felt the last couple of days.  Everyone have a good evening.

Joy and blessings, Amy Jo 

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    edited January 2011

hey ladies: sneaking away for just a few moments; my dear Fischer is on the new couch with his Zeido (grnpa) and wathcing Lion King.. My dil working, so we have a day or two after school.. my favorite pastime!! the pics of houses are wonderful I grew up on Cape Cod in mass.; i'm sure you've seen the cape cod style.. then, my parents moved to Marthas' Vineyard.. the post cards always show the "gingerbread" house in Oaks bluff. they're ALL done in the style of the painted ladies, all victorians with the ice cream parlour colours.. every year, they string lights (used to be candles ) in the old days; its' a big party every year.. they call it "illumination " night..its' a blast. its quite a section of the old town.. no cars alowwed, walking trails thru the spaces in between the houses. i'll try to google it later. one of my favorite parts of the cape..

Isabella: your rooms sound wonderful, and a wonderful way to "work it all out" thru tx... gonna go see GS; later, lovelies..      3jays

• kumanakaya
    kumanakaya Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2011

Hi,   I guess I qualify as an 'older woman' too.  I'm 61,diagnosed one year ago with bc stage 2b, had chemo first (6 rounds), then surgery (lumpectomy with three nodes one with cancer) and radiation (37 rounds).  Finished everything in November and I'm now on arimidex for 5 years since August.  My hair is white and curly ... I love it!  Having hot flashes again (generic arimidex) ... not fun but I manage by opening the door in the middle of the night (grin).  I am tired and sleep doesn't help so I think it's probably the arimidex and other drugs that have permeated my body.  Decided to try to work thru it, so I played an hour of raquetball and wow did I sleep!  I then backed off a bit and just took my granddaughters to the park and forced myself to walk with them (who knew I could walk so slow) and I'm feeling better today.  Everyone's posts are great!  My heart goes out to the young ones, but we're young too and I'm glad to see this thread!  My first mammogram is in April; so far so good tho!  My husband is disabled so I'm the breadwinner now too, I work part time and my biggest challenge is keeping my house clean ... I don't have the energy I used to have!  Oh, that and my brain refuses to function correctly ... I'm an English Major and I can't remember words (big sigh) but I'm breathing!!!

• Unknown
    edited January 2011

Heart&soul,  Do you know Roswell?...I have a friend from HS who lives there.  kuman, welcome to the most fun place on the boards....just my opinion, but I think we are a good bunch of "older" gals.  AmyJo,  I will be happy to try to help you with posting pics...it was 3jays who taught me and I am afraid she has created a monster.  I take pics, download them, then get them in photobucket and put them on here, facebook, everywhere....I am a picture posting fool.  I love looking at all these pics of houses.   Oh, my cousin and I have emailed back and forth and he said just to let him know when....it will be lst come, lst serve and if we want it some week that his kids do, if we have told him that time lst, we get it.....so we need to start thinking about what month, etc.  Chrissy, what works for you? 

• suzie14
    edited January 2011

Welcome, kuman, I think you might like it here, even though none of like what brought us here. Don't ever lose your sense of humor...it goes a long way!

MB, I will bring the garlic bread and a bottle of wine....sounds so good and looks delicious. Will try to see how far the cabin is and figure how far it will be to drive. I prefer not to wait until Fall, maybe late spring or summer?

AmyJo, so glad you are feeling a little better, hope tomorrow will be better yet.

gentle hugs ~ suzie

• heartnsoul76
    edited January 2011

MB - yes, I know and love Roswell. I used to live "next door" in Alpharetta, but almost bought this great house in Roswell. That Meatloaf song, "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" - my now ex-husband and I called it "our" song when we were dating as a joke, ended up being prophetic. We both laughed about that, though. Your pictures of food are making me hungry! Wouldn't that be funny if we all photographed what we had for dinner? Of course, sometimes I just have something like oatmeal so that wouldn't be very exciting after all!

3jays - the illumination of the Victorians sounds beautiful - I would love to see pictures of that if you can find them. Also, I love Cape Cods and gingerbread houses! My house is an English Tudor cottage, looks just like Hansel & Gretel's house in the woods (or was that the witch's house?)

Hi kuman! Nice to meet you, but hate the circumstances. I have my first mammo in April, too. Don't know what to think about it, because they don't seem so accurate. Wish I could just have an ultrasound, but I know all the different machines have their pros and cons. Actually, I just want to get it over with. Seems like everyone else had their first one after 6 months, but my onc is making me wait a year. I don't like that, but I don't like mammos either, so I'm not going to fight it. 

• QCA
    QCA Member Posts: 1,150
    edited January 2011

Thanks to all for posting the pics of the houses--I just love to look at them.  Marybe, (you little picture posting fool!) your street is lovely in the snow.  Glad it's your street and not mine though!  The blizzard we were threatened with today fizzled out into a cold rain, but that's okay!  BTW, I can bring the garlic bread!

Welcome, kuman...seems like you and I are on the same track, but I didn't have chemo.  I finished rads in November and have been on arimidex almost 2 months and just turned 61, which I simply cannot believe.    Keep coming back, because you're just gonna love us!

3jays, I'm glad your MRI results didn't show what you were most afraid of,but was sorry to hear about the MS progression.   The PET scan will no doubt be easier than the MRI and I hope you feel our collective HUG during that too.  I know you're enjoying that GS today.  Ours is 18 months old and we get to pick him up at day care tomorrow, so looking forward to that. Already thinking about what to feed him for supper but needn't worry too much.  The child eats like a horse.

The State of the Union speech just came on and I suppose I should go watch it, seeing as how there's not a Carolina Tarheels basketball game on tonight.

Kathy

• heartnsoul76
    edited January 2011

Hey Kathy!

Didn't Georgia beat the Tarheels the other day? neener neener 

• Unknown
    edited January 2011

I am not watching the speech....have pretty much gotten away from tv....I am either on the computer, reading or making a mess in the kitchen. I will tell you a speech that is good....go see The Kings Speech......actually left the theater feeling good after that one,....am still trying to figure out Black Swan as to what really happened and what didn't?   Alpharetta is where another classmate lived, but now they are somewhere near the border of GA....anyway he is in a band and supposedly they draw a big crown in this little town they now live in...I will have to look up the name of them.  I love tudor cottages....those are my favorite.  Have you ever had Habersham wine....they were based in Helena. They have a huge dental meeting in Atlanta and one day I might attend it, but I am going to the one in Chicago next month. 

Suzie.....ck it on mapquest....maybe you could meet someone along the way....once we get a headcount and what direction everyone is coming from, we will make a plan.  I like plans....not that I am at all organized, I am NOT, but I need to have plans and something to look forward to and feel that is what keeps me going. 

Night all.   

• QCA
    QCA Member Posts: 1,150
    edited January 2011

HnS, I was trying to forget that! 

Kathy

• 3jaysmom
    edited January 2011

to our own PPF!! (picture posting fool)  im glad to see all the wonderful pics.. keeps us all up to date!! i'm in for any spring, or summer month, date.. just do a quick poll. I would think Chrissy's coming the farthest.. but get some dates, so you can get in there, girlfriend. im praying daily i'm able to make the trip. and im starting to excersice a little. i need to get my strength up!!

Welcome to Kumanakaya..wish you were,t here, but glad if you gotta be, where glaad your'e HERE!

thanks QCA.. i still don't know how i feel about it all. really twisted. good for now, BAD for the future.. i think im crazy from PTSD.. the BEAST makes everything small, in comparison. but 2ndary MS isn't small, by any means.. onward. I still have the PET to get thru.. but, your'e right. not nearly as scary physically, as the mri. the possibilities of finding (something) is still scary. it'll be over in a couple of wks. i'm draggin my feet, trying to stop reeling.. maybe a wk or tweo. DH is in the middle of 2 college campus' inventory, and can't get off in the AM. i'll get goin soon...keep warm gals...      3jays

• 3jaysmom
    edited January 2011

i didn't post before, but it got to me, when i posted in another thread. since you guys ARE my support..

I lost a Warrior/Hero today to this disease. Her name was Alice, and she fought harder than i'm not sure i could... i met her last year in chemo. she'd done chemo 6 mos on 6 mos. off, for 12!! yrs.. six months ago; the bone mets got so bad, a bone in her leg broke, and she was confined to a wheelchair. from there, she got worse, ended up in the hosp.. they finally took her "off" today.. nearly killed her family and husband to let her go.. she's finally free tonight.. Fly High, and Straight, Alice Tonight is your night of FREEDOM!!!        3jays

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited January 2011

Aawe Cherie, I am soooo sorry to hear about your friend from chemo.  It's so hard to loose people to whom we have connected particularly when it's a lost caused by BC.  There are no words to express.  (((((((hugs)))))))) for you my dear as I know you need them.

Chrissy

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997
    edited January 2011

3Jays, I am very sorry to hear of your loss. Alice certainly is flying free tonight.

Hugs Ginger

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 709
    edited January 2011

WELCOME KUMAN!! Again so sorry for the reason you are here but glad you are here with us gals!! There is wonderful support here. And ladies, I had a note from the moderators saying that they had deleted one of my posts-I have no idea why or what they are talking about-but beware, we are being watched-my guess is by some tiresome, ugly biddies with nothing else to do but report posts!! Oh you know who you are!!! Very dreary day here again-rain and major fog. Angus is recouping so glad the days are sort of rotten so he is OK with staying in rather than out chasing birdies!! Love the house pix and i would give anything for "the Painted Lady." I just melt over these old homes. Either that or a big, airy log cabin in the woods with a to die for view!! Love to all, SV

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352
    edited January 2011

Hi Kuman....jump on in here, we're all in the same boat, and support one another here.

3jays...sorry about your friend Alice, it brings it close to home when you personally know them. Hope your scan goes OK tomorrow...will be there with you...that'll be me sat quietly behind you holding your hand. Hugs.

Not much of a day here, murky, cold and windy. I got my outside jobs done as best I could ...G/sons college day today, so only what was most important got done. Have been sitting at my computer most of the afternoon, looking for, and buying another CD player to listen to audio books. I find it easier to lay back in a big armchair by the fire, and listen rather than sit up straight and turn pages !!  Am almost half way thru' James Pattersons  Postcard Killers. I seem to be singlehandedly keeping Amazon in profit at the moment.

Off to bed now.....keep getting the heebie jeebies this last 2 nights. We had a murder 2 nights ago, about 3 miles away from my house....a lady who lived on a farm alone like me.....they got someone, sounded like her son, but still unsettles me a bit...we also have a missing 15 yr old boy, from 2 miles away from me, he's been gone 4 days now. All happenning here in this quiet backwater. Getting like Hallowe'en.....hehe...  a very nervous hehe !!

Isabella.

• suzie14
    edited January 2011

3jays, so sorry about losing your friend, Alice, as you said she is now free and without pain.

Isabella, that is frightening with the murder of the woman and the missing boy. Keep your doors locked, you dogs on alert and if you have one, your pistol at hand.

Anyone hear from BarbaraA lately. I hope she is mired in bliss and able to forget this beast while on her cruise.

MB, where exactly is the cabin? I'll look it up, also, what towns is it near?

SV, did you ever figure out which post was deleted? Can you tell if Angus is doing better? Give him a hug for me and keep one for yourself, babe.

I started to watch the speech but my bed was beckoning me!!

• 3jaysmom
    edited January 2011

ohh! Isabella,please make sure you lock up tight.. maybe its' time for now for the GS's girlfriend to visit your couch. if it were me, id feel much safer, if he were there... creepy

I actually got the results from the MRI. its' good new BC wise. the tumor is exactly as it was 3 yrs ago, small; B9; and the BEAST hasn't gone near it!!

Unfortunately, we now know why i've been falling, dizzy, etc... the MS has begun to creep towards the brainstem, its' actually deep within it already.. and its' progressed quite rapidly while i was doing chemo.. so, its' not a very picture. its' kinda a gun- or a knife situation... the thing that scares me, is it has gotten into the pons area of the brain, and its' the part that controls autonomic functions, like bbreathing, digestion.. etc. the rad. dr. said that the rise in my belly MAY not be chemo bloat; but an advanced symptom of secondary MS.. i will scheduale a visit to a major MS clinic, as soon as the PET scan is done.. probably next wk. early on. Its' really scary; we had to fill out wills, and papers; but its' no different to a few of my friends that live with stage IV of this disease. when i get the evaluation, i'll know more. i knew the risks when i did the chemo. now, we'll sit back and watch what they can come up with!!

SV i can't IMAGINE what post of yours they deleted, or why!! thank goodness we skipped the stallion pic.. hope another "crap" storm isn't about to fly, like before... {hugs}}}}}}}}you certainly don't need the agita; nor do any of us!     luv ya all.....3jays

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997
    edited January 2011

SV what on earth? Your posts, I read them all, what could cause the mods to remove any of your posts? We need peace here, if anywhere. Ugh.

I started the glutamine, lets hope it works. I lost a toe nail today and think I may lose a couple more. I am on day two of the ZPak for the ongoing breast infection. I went for day 7 of my rads so I think I am 1/5 of the way through 35. 20% done, that is good.   

My Rads doc referred me to a socail worker fo see what services they can hook me up with. I do isolate and don't know anyone except medical personnel so it makes sense. Just a little embarassing but still a good thing. The hospital has programs to participate in, even art projects. I could do that I think.  I saw some quilters in the conference room today. I could probably help there if my left hand  would stop shaking. Maybe the glutamine will help with that too.   I am feeling well enough that I am  getting a little lonely so it is probably time to meet some people. 

Without these boards I would really be alone. I am good at giving help but not good at asking for it myself. I think I have some sisters here too. :) 

3Jays I don't know much about MS, I had a co worker who had to work early hours and had to be very strict in taking care of herself. We worked at an agency that was happy to overwork us all. Her experience is all I am familiar with but it sounds from what you write that following us BC with a progression in MS is indeed scary.  Please let us all know how we can best support you.  What helps and what doesn't, what do you like to talk about when things get rough? Me, I always ask people about their pets because it takes me away to a good place when I am scared. Sending you  hugs. 

Hugs GInger

• Unknown
    edited January 2011

3jays.....I should have called you last night since you were no doubt up  STEROIDS!!   I completely forgot to ask Dr.Cody about them yesterday when I saw him, then remembered when I was in the treatment room and asked the nurse and she checked in the room where they mix up the stuff and told me it had already been put in with the aloxi so I got my usual dosage.  I don't like being hungry, but maybe it isn't them at all, I do like to eat and always have, but if I go to the grocery store,forget it!!  I can barely get out of there fast enough to rip open something I bought to eat on the way home...it's always a big debate to do that or zip thru the White Castle Drive Thru.  Anyway, they loved my lasagna at Dr's office and I passed out chocolate chip cookies to patients and they also got good reviews....all I do is make the recipe on the bag, but I always add more flour since I like fat cookies rather than flat crunchier ones....all a matter of taste I guess.  I always have complaints and totally forget them when it is time for my appt....he says the place I was saying that hurts under my implant he things in the rung of the implant or where my underwire bra hits....maybe the latter as all the implant is is a bag of saline....I have one they took out so I know what those look like, sort of like a jelly fish.  So I went to bed at about 12:30, about 1/3 into my book Sarah's Key...started it in the treatment room and stopped reading because I knew it was going to make me cry.  Whenever I read a book about the horrible things that went on in Europe during WWI it makes me want to cry, the consentration camps, the death marches, the hiding out....I find books like that both fascinating and horrifying.....so I put the book away and visited with people in the treatment room.  It is crazy, but I look forward to Wed. and seeing my friends there.  Anyway, woke up at about 2:30 and read til I finished it and now I am up for the day.   Oh, it was such a good book.  I know this afternoon I will pay for my lack of sleep last night.  I am so very sorry about your MS....I know very little about it other than the fact I have patients with it, one who has dealt with it for many many years, and of course MJ Fox....there is chronic and acute right? 

SV, How do you know it was the moderators...does it say so?.I went back and was looking for that thread where we were reporting the survey, it was called can't get into the loop or something and I swear it was in my favorites and I cannot find it anywhere....can't even find the posts I made when I go check out previous posts I made under my bio.....VERY strange....probably just part of a conspiracy to make me think I am losing my mind....I asked yesterday if others have problems coming up with words and one lady said Heck, I can't even complete sentences.   No one can comprehend chemo brain until they have it. 

Ginger, I am afraid not much will help with those toenails....they come back after you finish the chemo that causes it, but it takes a long time...my podotrist actually took some of mine off and he told me the fungus and infection I had was from chemo so as long as that was in my system there was no help for them.  I minded the fingernails even more than the toenails because they were oozing and smelled.  Ugh, hope those days are over.

Later, Ladies.  Hope you all have a good day.  Where are Barb's pics.....I want to see what they are up to on that ship.