Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,529
    edited May 2012

Our opportunity is to Soar our Spirit.
    To see Light and Joy in everything.
    To spread our wings and fly boldly.
    To give thanks for rainbows and butterflies -
    our symbols of renewal and rebirth.
    To offer daily Thanksgiving - for ourselves, our family,
    our friends, our community, for the whole world.
    - Jonathan Lockwood Huie

and God Bless our wonderful troops for giving their life and time to us to promote freedoms around the globe.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,110
    edited May 2012

Welcome, Scottiee.  Truly sorry you have the credentials to join us.  Good luck with your treatment and recovery.  We look forward to getting to know you better.

Dreamers, I would never sit and suffer.  Communicate with your drs.  Try to find out what's causing the lump or swelling.  What we all want to know about a situation that it's "normal" for our stage of treatment/recovery.  I've been taking arimidex for 2 plus years and I'm having SEs like elevated bp and cholesterol but so far my activity level is normal for my age.  I try to keep moving as much as possible.  And I take supplements like fish oil, calcium, D3, and glucosamine/chondroitin.  I try to exercise several times a week and I play golf.  My energy level is not as high as it once was when I took HRT.

Speaking of HRT, I talked to two women recently, one of them older than I (she's 80) and they both take HRT.  I was so envious!  The 80's yr. old is a survivor of lymphoma cancer but her dr. said it's a risk/reward situation and she benefits too much from the Premarin to take her off it.  Love that dr!

I wonder if years down the road, the results won't show that HRT is worth the risk, even to women like me with positive ER bc. 

Tomorrow I'm off to church for the 10:30 service with my mother.  My oldest brother and his wife are bringing take-out lunch of some description.  They live in Marrero on the west bank of NO. 

There is something frightening about a set of false teeth out of the mouth! 

Nothng much new on bp front.  Still high in the morning and normal as the day wears on.  It finally occurred to me that it's probably the arimidex doing its thing when I take it at night and go to bed.  The last three nights I haven't taken benedryl to sleep and I've slept through the night with a trip or two to the bathroom.  The dreams are just as crazy without the benedryl.  Last night I was teaching school and explaining participles!  The teacher in the next room came in and asked if she could speak to my class.  This was irregular but I went for a walk.  When I returned, her class was in my room, too, and they were having a party with lots of food!  I was really put out.  Crazy!

Have a good Sunday, everyone.

• illinoislady
    edited May 2012

WelcomeScottiee1.  I wrote a post last night for you but it isn't here this morning.  I had a long day and I probably didn't hit submit.  Any way......my apologies and I hope you will come find us any time when you want to share something.  We are always happy to scoot over and give someone else a nice spot. 

Oh my --- sure loved the Good Morning, Chevy !!!!  She sorta looks how I usually feel in the morning hours.  Got a sore spot in my hip/back area.  Was doing some exercises and I think I got a little too enthused.  I'm sure it will settle out.  No wonder I find it so hard to do my exercises......but then when you avoid it so long and decide to finally turn over a "new" leaf, guess you got to be ready for possible repercussions from all those parts that have been getting off easy for some time.

Dreamer......many people seem to have success just changing their AI to something else.  I think too it is really time if they are getting so extreme.  I don't know why some MO's seem so reluctant to acknowledge the se's that turn up from some of these meds.  Honestly, I'm not sure they mean to take a dim' view.  I just think they aren't able totally to realize and understand the degree of debilitation that is sometimes present.  To have the highest empathy......I think you have to be able to put yourself in someone else's place......it must be very difficult when it is something like cancer and the things that fight and negate it.  I hope you will be able to get some good results with your MO or whomever you need to work with to get an adjustment or maybe a whole other med. 

Lots to do today, but I am on my schedule and not anyone else's so I can work at my own pace.  Will go out to the cemetery today and put some flowers on Mom & Dad's grave.  Not that I'm not out there every day.....with my lady that I care for..........it is her ritual, but I don't normally keep flowers out there -- so this is my special time.

Going to be so hot here today.  I hope everyone that needs rain gets it --- we will have some coming soon which I think will cool us down from our unseasonal warmth.  The last few years it seems we have been in and stayed in the feast or famine category.  Seems in years past there was a nice slow progression --- especially to the hotter, more humid part of the summer.  Now ---  we never know from one day to the next because there is no progression much to anything.....it is just here and somewhat extreme.

I hope you all have a really fantastic Sunday.

Hugs, Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited May 2012

Carole....we were posting at the same time.  Sure wish I could remember my dreams so clearly.  Seems I wake up sensing a little about what I was dreaming----especially if they were a large part of my life, but once I am fully awake usually all but a mild feeling of having enjoyed my "sleep" adventure just dissipates.  I sort of hate that.  Then again.....I do think sleeping/dreaming is also a time when you can either discover some knowledge you need to help you with your life..............or to really experience those things that would probably never happen in your waking life..........such as leaving a classroom to go for a walk.  We are really FREE in our dream time to do what we can't at most other times. 

I'm sure there is a lot of psychological things in this if we just knew exactly.  Maybe I'm better if I don't know.

Anyway.....again........hope you all have a fantastic day.

Hugs, Jackie

• mommarch
    mommarch Member Posts: 534
    edited May 2012

Welcome Scottie, sorry you have to be here, but this site is great, glad I found it.

Dreamer, I was on Armidex and Armosin and could not take either one of them.  I went back to my ONC and told him it was worse than chemo pain.  He put me on Tamoxifen and I have done OK on it so far.  I had a lump in my surgical area also, and they sent me for another mamo and it was a seroma, I had the mamo in Feb. I still can feel the lump but I think it will go away in time.  Take it in your own hands and get answers even if you have to get another Dr.

We had a nice shower here in the Davis Mt's in west Tx last night.  Going to a friends house for dinner tonight so I do not have to cook, Yeah!

Was at the broom shop all day yesterday helping hubby, skipped church this morning and slept in, pretty draggy.

Have a good Sunday. 

• carolehalston
    edited May 2012

Chevy, I'm sitting here in the living room with DH, a noise of angry bees coming from the tv.  The Indy 500!  He watches this race, too, even though he's a bigger NASCAR fan.  I asked him who he wanted to win.  He said, An American driving an American car, if there is one in the race.  Nearly all the drivers are foreign now.  Oh, he just switched to the French Open Tennis and Venus is on the screen!

I walked 45 min. this morning and didn't start until 9 am.  Thought I would keel over with heat stroke before I got back home.  Had to slow down my stride.  Sweated off a lb and a half.  DH went bicycling as he frequently does on Sunday morning.  He was hot and sweaty, too.  He cooked breakfast.  I had a slice of bacon and it tasted so good.  Along with an egg and toast.

My mother decided she didn't feel up to church.  So I'll make some bread this afternoon.  It's nice having a leisurely Sunday.

Chevy, I've been meaning to ask about the plumbing.  Any luck finding a plumber?

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited May 2012

Well, we have kind of just taken our time, and are starting to call some tomorrow!  In the mean time Carole, DH connected a piece of pvc pipe to the tub drain, and then a wide flexible rubber "hose" to that, and it is draining out into the concrete "drain" between our house and the neighbors fence....It was cemented in to catch water from the roof drains.   It goes between the garages, and out into a sand/rock area, by the driveway and alley. 

And I must say it works perfectly!  BUT I am still calling my friends plumber, and several others for estimates, as to what they can do.  Since this is working so well, I'm wondering if we could run more pvc pipe, and cover that with the larger rubber hosing, to protect from the Winter, and keep it like this!  This is my own idea, and I'm sure if I mentioned this to DH, he would get to work on just THAT!  But, if this can all be fixed, without tearing our whole bathroom apart, I will be sooooooooooooo happy!   I know people figured out stuff like this in "the olden days" and just by-passed certain "laws" and did what they had to do!   I will know more by next week-end.  

I KNOW if someone really wants to make a lot of money, they will find all kinds of problems with the plumbing, but that's what estimates are for....  Geez, I hate this!  But it brings to mind, "If there's a will, there's a way!"    I know if my Dad and Grampa were here, looking at this situation, they would come up with all KINDS of ideas, Ha, ha!  And probably none of them would be "up to code."  And knowing them, they would then plant rose bushes on top of everything...Wink

Oh well!  Gotta go shake some happiness out of those trees!  xoxoxoxo

• Scottiee1
    Scottiee1 Member Posts: 1,790
    edited May 2012

Hi everybody: thank you all for your responses. Yeah, I'm sorry we could not all meet under better circumstances, but I'm so glad you are all out there sharing here. Everything is still quite new for me, and may I add, surreal. Do any of you get quite emotional and cry just out of the blue, it's making me crazy, I'm not usually such an emotional gal?

• Chevyboy
    edited May 2012

No little Scottiee....but I'm always trying to make sure that no-one sees me when I am down.   I can't stand to see hurt in their faces....So I won't let myself crumple into a heap.  I kind of did, when my Doc called me back with the results of the biopsy, but my Husband was standing out back when I got the phone call, and I just fell into his arms.    But from then on, I wouldn't let that cancer drag us both down....

When I had the surgery, our oldest Daughter came in town, so both Daughter's were with us!  Also our "other Daughter by another Mother!"  So while I was in surgery, they all went to lunch, shopping, and had a fun day, ha!  I loved that!  My surgeon had to call them on her cell, and tell them I was ready to go home!  They were too busy shopping!  It's been that way ever since. 

So don't be afraid, and it's alright to cry sometimes.... Just know that the worst part is over now!  And you can just go on, and have beautiful days!   Besides crying just does the WORST job with my makeup!  Wink  But if you want to feel sad, just come here, and we will make sure you are among your friends, and we'll all be here for you.....  !!!

• Chevyboy
    edited May 2012
  • carolehalston
    edited May 2012

Scottie, I never cried during the whole ordeal but walked around in a state of shock for weeks as I gradually adjusted to the reality, "you have cancer."  I would get up to go to the bathroom at night and I would think to myself, "You have cancer."  It was just such an impossible idea.  Then I went on bc.org and started communicating with other bc'ers in different stages and became a member of the bc club.

We all handle our diagnosis differently.  I told EVERYBODY!  It was weird.  I seemed to be compelled to tell total strangers that I had been dx'ed with breast cancer.  Once I told a man at a vegetable stand.  Poor guy, he didn't know what to say!  Some people are just the opposite of me and never tell a soul, not even some of their friends and relatives.  Like it's a big secret.  I told everybody what my surgery choice was.  Normally I'm a private person and don't talk a lot about myself but bc brought out the communicater in me! 

DH had a scare this afternoon.  He thought the A/C was going on the blink, perish the thought on Memorial Day weekend!!!!  The battery in the thermostat needed changing.  What a relief.  We were already planning to move out into the 5th wheel and run the A/C in it.

It has been a most pleasant day.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,283
    edited May 2012

dreamer - I have a lump that my BS said is a lipoma & she could remove or my PS could do it.  MO said he could feel it also.  PS said he couldn't feel anything - but he'd been telling me that for the entire 7 months between BMX and exchange.  Unfortunately it's on top of my ribs so I can't wear any kind of bra.  I wasn't ready to have more surgery only 4 weeks after exchange so I'm still living w/it.  BS did offer a recommendation for pain management docs.   You shouldn't have to live w/pain.

Chevy - Here's to my dad's & my grandpa's remodeling efforts.  Both were do-it-yourself guys & the solutions were sometimes weird, but worked.  My only reserve about extending your PVS & hose would be the winters in CO. Good luck w/plumber quotes.

Scottie - This is a good place to vent & yell & cry.  Welcome

Carole - we can have contests this summer to see who gets the least rain & the highest temps.  I'm in NW Houston.  We haven't had rain in several weeks and the temps are mid 90s already. I haven't replanted all the dead stuff from last summer's drought since we're supposed to have more of the same this summer. But the plumarias love it.

The good news is that the community pool opened yesterday & the water is warm enough for us older foggies to start water aerobics on Wednesday. We've had 15 dedicated folks for the last 3 years, but it looks like 30 members this year - and some younger faces too.

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484
    edited May 2012

Minus Two - Didn't know plumerias grew in Houston.  Lived in Hawaii as a child and LOVE them.  Saw an Anthurium in the plant store yesterday.  Mustered all the strength I had not to buy it.  No place in house suitable and too hot/dry here North Central Texas.  Bought some Zinnias instead and something airy yellow flowered called Helenium for a pot out back.

On the bright side supposed to get rain mid week.

Relaxing day watching Indy and Nascar.  Laundry.  Normal day.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

• Vicks1960
    Vicks1960 Member Posts: 393
    edited May 2012

Scottiee...

You are not the only one to get those unexpected bouts of crying.  I had that off and on for about 3 months.  I could be sitting, just reading or something and start weeping.  My husband could walk into the room and he would say, 'oh, one of those times?'  It does get better, I have been told (years ago) that there are hormones in tears that can help us emotionally.  Just keep hanging in there.  The gals here are very supportive, we have all been 'there' and gone thru parts of the 'healing process'.   Please feel free to keep coming back, reading the posts, and when you want make some of your own.  At times you may even want to send a private message to someone and that is fine too..

Vickie

• minustwo
    edited May 2012

Luv - Plumarias don't over winter but you just yank them out of the ground in the late fall & literally throw them in the garage.  If you're worried, you can put paper bags over the roots, and even water them once - but I haven't found that necessary.  I pop them back in the ground around March.  I have some that are up over 9 feet - yellow, magenta, cream, pink.  And to propagte you just break off a stick (stem) and plop that in the ground. 

I gave some to friends in Dallas several years ago and they used this method successfully. There just isn't as long a growing season.  I don't have the nerve to try Anthurium either.

Good info at this link.

http://www.theplumeriasociety.org/

• illinoislady
    edited May 2012

Scottie -- I'm so glad you decided to go ahead and join us.  It has been awhile since my diagnosis, but not only did I cry after hearing it.......I was sure I was on my way out of this world rather quickly.  I have always felt and continue to this day that there is something about a cancer diagnosis that seems to carry so much more fear and un-certainty, ...... some disbelief and many emotions with all of it. 

Well, I am still here.......and though I can still "get a small case of nerves" on rare occasion.....like Chevy, this diagnosis has become something that just happened to me.  I guess when I got far enough along I just had to decide if I had cancer.....or if it had me.  In the end, I chose to take me back and leave the other in the dust. 

You will get to a point where it is not so big and weighty on your shoulders that you are getting overwhelmed at every turn and when you are not expecting it.  Still.....I am a firm believer in not bottling things up..........if you are full of tears.....they need to come out.....and if you feel sadness, anger, confusion, helplessness.......just let it come.  This is a time pretty much un-like most of the other "incidents" or "illness" you or your loved ones may have had.  It takes a toll...................and will take a while to deal with.  The "brave" you will show up I think as you decide hopefully to be much bigger than your diagnosis and whip the living day-lights out of it..............but it all has to come in steps.......and a part of that step is "accepting" that yes, you do have this diagnosis....but I hope you choose not to let it have you. 

Someone is always here.  You will never have to face any of this on your own......everyone here is either working on it, just finishing up or somewhat of an old timer who just knows how hard the paths can some times feel on this journey and wants to help someone else just as we were helped.  We are always here for you.

Plumeria....isn't that what heaven smells like. 

I hope you all had a wonderful Sunday.

Hugs, Jackie

• ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639
    edited May 2012

minustwo, I wouldn't mind a small lump and would probably expect that given that I had a seroma drained twice, but it is about the size of a tangerine and uncomfortable to say the least. Will call surgeon on Tuesday and see if anything can be done.

• Chevyboy
    edited May 2012

Morning gals!  Dreamers, I didn't know you already knew about a seroma..Undecided  But the size of a tangerine?  Is it in the same place as the Seroma?  Yes, call the surgeon.... that would be my first call.  No telling WHAT is going on in there. 

Maybe he will tell you the seroma is just going crazy or something.

Jackie, when I read what you post, it is like listening to my little Sister, or someone!  (I mean if I had one.)  The things you say are so sweet, and just make me smile. Smile

Minus....you KNOW!  Ha, ha!  Honestly I don't see how anyone could re-connect another "trap" to the rusty old pipes.  I don't know why there even WAS a "trap," but that's where the plug-up was.  The only way to get a new line under ground, is digging up our patio, sidewalk, and one of our garages, out to the main drain in the alley.  I'm trying not to get sick as I think about it.   Thank God our toilet was not connected to the same drain!  I don't know WHAT they did when they added on the bathroom in about 1900. 

Our home was probably built by whoever bought the land in 1886, same as the one they built next to us....(But THAT one was scraped, and a 3 story home took it's place.)  So it was probably built by men like my Dad & Grandpa.  They built Grandpa's house, when my Dad was a boy, and they lived in the cement basement they dug out first... Our "basement" is about the same, hand laid cement walls, and a dirt floor, that we covered with siding when we moved in.  Our furnace was added down there in about 1980.  We had a floor furnace before, and it was soooooooo nice, ha!  Then a "vent" was cut out of the ceiling in the front room, so heat would rise and heat the girls little room.   DH also extended a pipe off the furnace, under the floor, to go up through the wall of the bathroom, to take the chill off.  Some of the things we have done ourselves amaze ME even.

DH put on storm windows, added a swamp-cooler, and he and Grandpa laid our 12 inch thick patio out back, ha!  Virtually sealing any hope of EVER getting into plumbing problems, should they occur....Wink   But this old house is the beauty of the neighborhood, I think! 

So what was I saying?  Oh yes, plumbing.  (pulling hair, pulling hair!) Yes, Winter's would be tough with outside pipes, but maybe we could insulate them?  I know we will ask a professional type plumber about this... and watch him just smile, and walk away....shaking his head. 

So we DO have some "gear-heads" among us!  Yay!  This is the only sport I love!  Don't know why, but after 10 years of watching Nascar, you get to know the drivers, crews, and understand it a lot better.  I so admire how anyone can control those cars, driving in packs at 180 mph, as close as they are....  I have a piece of the Daytona track!  My Grand-sons girlfriend was working there, during the strip-down of the old track, and she brought me a piece of the asphalt!  I have a little "Daytona" sign, and a car, glued on there.  Doesn't take much to make ME happy....Cool  Bees!  Carole, that was funny!  But you are right! 

Scotiee, are you better? A little bit?   We have to take care of you "new kids!"

Okay, better go do something....Love talking to you girls....

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited May 2012

ptdreamers:  I think a call to the BS is in order...that is too large a lump to ignore, particularly if it's uncomfortable.

Hopefully today will be a quiet one...no more parties or cooking!  I would like it to be just the two of us, and maybe a movie later.  I'm making the last of the meat in the freezer...a pork loin with some roasted veggies...so I have a clean freezer when we leave for NC next week!

Have a great Memorial Day everyone! 

• Chevyboy
    edited May 2012
  • Chevyboy
    edited May 2012
  • illinoislady
    edited May 2012
    Prayer is not asking. It is a longing of the soul. It is daily admission of one's weakness. It is better in prayer to have a heart without words than words without a heart.
    Mahatma Gandhi
  • illinoislady
    edited May 2012

Kaara.....how long will you be in N.C. ?  Do you have a laptop ???  Are you going to be incommunicado or will we hear from you while you are there?????  I have a BIL and SIL in Salisbury.  They used to live in Shallote ( sp?? ) which is about 10 miles I think from the OB's but moved to be nearer my SIL's mother who needs someone near all the time now. 

Well, that settles it.......I guess I'm moving in with Chevy.  That is such an absolute doll-house.......such a great Gingerbread look ---- I'm in love and I don't much like two story houses, or houses with basements, but move over.......I'm coming right after you get the bathroom fixed. 

Dreamers....I'd be calling someone too.  Tangerine size is quite large.  Maybe some sort of cyst, but land sakes I so feel for those who have to deal with these things.  I had some struggles......but they seem to have all ended with my active txs.......and now it is just the check-ups every three months that the V.A. insists on until you are at your 5 yr. mark. 

Speaking of that.....I've wondered since I have been required to have so many check-ups all through my txs. plus the 5 yrs. if I am going to "really worry" when no one is interested any longer in keeping tabs.  I know it will be a big time to celebrate and I will  but I'm already thinking I'm going to have to learn how to MAKE it on my own.  This every 3 month check-up has been a HUGE security blanket to me.

I hope you all have a fantastic day.

Dear Lord, I'm so thankful this Memorial Day for all the service men and women who support and protect me and I pray you will keep them safe and strong.  They are all hero's . Amen

Hugs, Jackie

• Kaara
    edited May 2012

Jackie:  We'll be in NC all summer and fall, but I have computer hook up there so will not miss much in the way of communication...just a day here and there when we are traveling.  We always use that time to go visit relatives in Wisc. and do other trips to visit friends.  The heat is not so intense in the mountains and it is better for my BF who suffers with MS.  I plan to relax, read, garden, and play golf.  We are expecting a lot of visitors this year so we'll be busy entertaining.  Everyone wants to go to the Biltmore House and ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway, something I never tire of, because of it's scenic beauty.  We usually take the parkway up to Mt. Mitchell which is the highest point in the Eastern USA.  You can see it from our porch and it's over 60 miles away from us.  A complete change from Florida.

This afternoon we are going to the movies...I want to see The Marigold Hotel...have heard it is good.  BF wanted to see Men In Black 3, but it's my turn to pick...hehe!

Chevy:  Your house really is so adorable...I hope you get that plumbing fixed to your satisfaction. 

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited May 2012

Hi Kaara,

I am an old-timer who mostly lurks these days but wanted to jump in and encourage you to opt for The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. DH and I just saw it Saturday and loved it. First, it is a feast for the eyes; the scenery, colors, exotic places... Make it just wonderful. Love all the actors, long time favorites. The story line works for our "age group". And just love Dev Patel ever since Slumdog Millionaire.

We have a friend who has visited India several times and it is his favorite place in the world. I think I would find the crush of people a little intimidating and he admits the sea of bodies can be overwhelming. But he says the people are warm and friendly and he has never felt anything but perfectly safe.

But I think my travels to india will be virtual. If you go, I hope you like the movie. Recommending movies is almost as risky as recommending books! Or doctors! :)

Pam

• Kaara
    edited May 2012

Thanks Pam!  I definitely got my way on this one...we're going to the 3:50 show today!  I went to see The Avengers with him last week....ugh!....not it's my turn to pick!

• Chevyboy
    edited May 2012

Do you guys remember years ago, when we were kids, and we got something wrong with us, & we had to take Castor Oil?  And if we got a bite, or something on our skin, our Grandmother would put Turpentine on it?   Man, it's a wonder we survived!

I thought of this, because I have had SOMEthing wrong with my fingers, on one hand, like little "blisters" then itching, redness and peeling!  So I read where online, where someone put fingernail polish remover on it!  Well it's working!  Twice a day.... Along with the "mink-oil" and cortisone cream, and cotton gloves at night.  If it works, try it!  Ha!  

Yes, the same "mink oil" that is to soften leather!  I thought, well if it works for leather, it SURELY has to help my hands....and it does!  Then I read where there is a cosmetics line for it!  Reminds me of old Doc Brown....He told me to use lard, on my dry skin, and when I was pregnant...  

Okay...guess that's enough mis-information for one day....Wink

• Kaara
    edited May 2012

Just back from the movie "Marigold Hotel"...it was GREAT!  My kind of movie.  I think even my BF liked it.  It's definitely an award winner!  So seldom do you see any good movies anymore that have good acting and impart a message...this was one of them.  Pam you were right...the photography scenes of India were just beautiful.

• minustwo
    edited May 2012

Kaara: I've have two other friends who's husbands liked "Marigold Hotel".  I hope to go this week.  BTW, the Carolina's are on my go to list. My boss's boss told me Ashville was the best place to retire.

Chevy:  Your house is great.  Thanks for posting the picts.

PTDreamers:  I'm just chiming in with everyone else - call the doc.  And if the first one won't pay attention, call another one.  We have lots of choices after this darn rodeo.

Carole:  Hoping your A/C held.  It was 97 here today.

Welcome newbies & good to hear from "old timers".

• Kaara
    edited May 2012

MinusTwo:  Asheville is a beautiful place to retire, but don't expect it to be inexpensive.  It is one of the most costly places in the SE USA to buy or build a home...probably because of the topography of the soil...you have to shore up everything.  We live in Hendersonville, about 30 minutes south of Asheville and it is less expensive there, about in line with other parts of the USA for retirement living.  Certainly the taxes are lower...taxes on our 4/3 townhome in a very nice gated community are $1,500 a year!  That certainly beats the $6,000 we pay in Florida!  Anyway...it's definitely worth a look to see if you like it.  Prices are down considerably right now due to the economic downturn.

I see you're from Houston...I was born and raised there...in the old east end.  The last time I was in Houston was about five years ago for my DS's funeral.  It's a great town in spite of the heat and humidity.  I still have many relatives in the Dallas Denton area.