Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,629
    edited March 2013

If you can accept the flow
    of life and give in to it,
    you will be accepting what is real.
    Only when you accept what is real
    can you live with it in peace
    and happiness.  The alternative
    is a struggle that will never end
    because it is a struggle with
    the unreal, with a mirage of life
    instead of life itself.

Deepak Chopra

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited March 2013

Thanks Kaara for the supplement info.  I really need to get serious about trying to improve my immune system.  I'm not sure that I can do your green smoothie but the rest sounds very doable!  I am so glad that you are busy and happy!  :-)

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,119
    edited March 2013

Kaara, I had a delicious green smoothie for lunch today.  1/2 cup Greek nonfat yogurt, 1 kiwi fruit, 1 fresh mango, juice of one Meyer lemon, 1 T. chia seeds, and about 2 cups curly kale.  I have an old fashioned blender, but it did the job.  I added some cold water because the smoothie was very thick.

I've been reading about the nutritional benefits of the chia seeds and happened to see them at Fresh Market today.  Yep, they're the same seeds that sprout in the Chia pets! 

I would love to have one of the high-powered blenders but they're very expensive.  I'll wait and see if I continue to make the smoothies.

Played golf today.  We had a little light rain but not enough to stop play. 

We could use a nice rain to clear out some of the pollen.

Hope everybody had a good day. 

• stcharleschick
    stcharleschick Member Posts: 17
    edited March 2013

Good evening, everyone! Thank you for the smoothie idea. I am really looking for more nutrition tips. I keep hearing that the aromatase inhibitors can contribute to weight gain.

Thank you for all of your support! I learned tonight that my margins are clear, the tumor was 3 mm and I won't need oncotype test.

Have a great evening. Nite nite...we will talk tomorrow!

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited March 2013

St.Chick--good news.

U guys all sound like u'r doing well and I like that. I haven't been feeling that well, but I'll be fine.

It's spring and we supposed to get another snow storm soom---like lots of snow, but who knows,--Jackie u'll probably get rain so get ready. no golfing around here yet.

• carolehalston
    edited March 2013

Camille, sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well. 

That's great news on the margins!

I'm off to the gym this morning to do some exercise.   My mother's hair apptment is early afternoon. 

It's a little cooler than normal for this time of year, but that's ok with me.  Hot and humid isn't far away.  There's a chance of rain this weekend that I hope we get to clear some of the pollen out of the air.  Our trees are all green with budded leaves and the azaleas are in bloom. 

Everyone have a good Thursday.

• illinoislady
    edited March 2013

Big congrats St. Chick......what a relief, huh !!!!

Golly Camille....hope you get to feeling better soon.  Today we are having sunshine early.....and sure hope it stays.  I've heard rumblings of weather no will like.....like another snow.  I've been doing so much starting night before last....( sure hate to admit this ) but a little tired and or actually getting up late and the weather reports have sailed right past me.

Anyway....glad for the sun and I'm hoping you get so too.  Its a gret mood producer, and even if you are not outside....I think just sitting by a window where the sun can stream in gives you an up-lifted things are going to get a lot better feeling.  Hugs to you, sweet friend.

I'm looking towards Friday and getting my whole week-end off again.....and, a little more on this check because I worked on this just past Sunday a few hours.  7 to be exact.  Always nice to drag in a little more money.

Here's to sunshine for Camille....and happy yay thoughts for Camille and a smile and hug for everyone else.

Peace and love,

Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited March 2013

• stcharleschick
    stcharleschick Member Posts: 17
    edited March 2013

Good morning, Ladies!  I think this says a lot about us and our experiences:

Life has a way of testing a person's will, either by nothing happening all day or everything happening at once. Paul Coelho

Have a great day, 

Sandy  Cool

• ritajean
    edited March 2013

Camille..so sorry to hear that you've been feeling poorly.  I hope you get well soon!

YAY St. Chick............good news!  We LOVE to hear good news on this thread.

Well I started an exercising program with a friend today.  She lives in a golfing community and they have access to a fitness room so we gave the machines a try.  We had originally opted for walking but it was way too cold to do that this morning and it appears that it will be about the same tomorrow.  Once we can get out and walk, we will do that instead of the machines.  I have no self motivation to exercise (how I admire your detmination, Carole!) so I need the buddy system.  I hope we can stay with it.  I need to shed some pounds after the holidays and the month in Florida. 

Mother Nature has definitely thrown a "kink" in our ourside activities this month.  Last year at this time we were on the golf course. Now they're predicting more snow for the weekend.  Bah Humbug!  I don't know what I would do if I lived in New York or some of the other places that get more snow than Illinois. 

Hello to all of you!

• camillegal
    edited March 2013

Jackie that is so cute--Thank you. My meds are starting to work better right now so...............

• illinoislady
    edited March 2013

"Words have special powers. The power to create smiles or frowns. The
    power
    to generate laughs or tears. The power to lift up or put down. The
    power to
    motivate or de-motivate. The power to teach good or evil. The
    power to
    express love or hate. The power to give or take. The power to
    heal or harm.
    Choose your words carefully."

-- A.D. Williams

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited March 2013

ptdreamers:  You mentioned that tamoxifen was not for older women...there are exceptions...I am an older woman who has had a complete hysterectomy so my MO prescribed the tamoxifen for me because I wouldn't have the risks of those with a uterus and the SE's are fewer.  So far so good, and I have the option of switching to an Al in a couple of years if I choose to do that.

Weather has been nice here...having a family dinner on Sunday and going up to DS's tomorrow to have lunch with his family.  It will be a nice drive for us, and we'll probably come back down the coast along the water.

• ritajean
    edited March 2013

Yay Cami.....glad the meds are doing better!  Now you keep that snow up in the northern part of the state this weekend!  :-)

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited March 2013

1. Sometimes I'll look down at my watch 3 consecutive times and still not know what time it is.

2. Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

3. I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger.

4. There is great need for a sarcasm font.

5. How the **** are you supposed to fold a fitted sheet?

6. Was learning cursive really necessary?

7. Map Quest really needs to start their directions on # 5. I'm pretty sure I know how to get out of my neighborhood.

8. Obituaries would be a lot more interesting if they told you how the person died.

9. I can't remember the last time I wasn't at least kind-of tired.

10. Bad decisions make good stories.

11. You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

12. Can we all just agree to ignore whatever comes after Blue Ray? I don't want to have to restart my collection...again.

13. I'm always slightly terrified when I exit out of Word and it asks me if I want to save any changes to my ten-page technical report that I swear I did not make any changes to.

14. I keep some people's phone numbers in my phone just so I know not to answer when they call.

15. I think the freezer deserves a light as well.

16. I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Miller Light than Kay.

17. I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

18. I have a hard time deciphering the fine line between boredom and hunger.

19. How many times is it appropriate to say "What?" before you just nod and smile because you still didn't hear or understand a word they said?

20. I love the sense of camaraderie when an entire line of cars team up to prevent a jerk from cutting in at the front.

21. Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty. Pants? Pants never get dirty, and you can wear them forever.

22. Even under ideal conditions people have trouble locating their car keys in a pocket, finding their cell phone, and Pinning the Tail on the Donkey - but I'd bet everyone can find and push the snooze button from 3 feet away, in about 1.7 seconds, eyes closed, first time, every time.

23. The first testicular guard, the "Cup," was used in Hockey in 1874 and the first helmet was used in 1974. That means it only took 100 years for men to realize that their brain is also important.

Ladies.....Quit Laughing.

• illinoislady
    edited March 2013

Ha....I love them all:

• camillegal
    edited March 2013

Thanks Rita, what a difference.

I love thos and they are true too. Too funny now if I can just remember 1 I'd be happy.

And Jackie u came right back with it.

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited March 2013

Chevy:  Good ones!

• illinoislady
    edited March 2013

Give in to goodness now and then.  I don't mean masochistic self-sacrifice.
    I mean the deliberate performance of an act that has ethical value:
    helping someone in need, righting a wrong, forgiving an enemy.
    For best results, the act should be one that can't possibly benefit you. . . .
    if we give in to goodness once in a while, we gain strength.
    If we consistently refuse, we're at cross-purposes with everything,
    including our deepest nature.  People not only have the capacity
    for ethical behavior, they have a built-in need for it.
    If you give in to goodness reasonably often, you won't have
    to seek self-renewal.  It will come to you.

anonymous

• carolehalston
    edited March 2013

One size does not fit all when it comes to taking Tamoxifen or an AI.  My BC dr. announced I would be taking arimidex and I filled the prescription.  Some women switch around among the AIs to try to find one with the most tolerable SEs.  Kaara, I thought Tamoxifen had more serious possible SEs than the AIs, but I didn't bother to do any research.  It was a wonder drug when it was first prescribed for cancer patients.  A friend of mine, now deceased, added quite a few years onto her life by taking Tamoxifen. 

Camille, I can't wait for you to perk up and keep us all straight with your wonderful sense of humor!

Yesterday was an odd day because I had a golf game and just didn't feel like playing golf!  Can you believe?  So I cancelled and stayed home to get some chores done.  First, I used Turbo Tax to do a friend's taxes.  She moved to TX eight or ten yrs. ago but still sends me a packet with her info.  Later on, I caught up with (or almost caught up with) ironing.  Now here it is a gloomy day and I'm not pressed to do anything.  Although there are always things to be done around the house.  Maybe I'll go to Academy Sports store and look around.  I have a $50 gift card to spend.

Hoping for rain but only after dh finishes his golf tournament today.

Jackie, I hope you enjoy your well-deserved weekend.  And hope everybody else has a good weekend, too.

• bonnets
    bonnets Member Posts: 737
    edited March 2013

Beautiful but cold here. Hear we are due for more snow Sunday night. Heard the Groundhog committed suicide!

We went to the Home show. Got 2 free pens! Wow.

Illinois, sounds like a random act of kindness. Our church ladies group tries to do one every month. From experience, it really makes you feel good when you see or hear of someones reaction.

I'm doing Arimidex. Told my onc i'd take it IF the SEs weren't intolerable. So far so good, mostly the Arthritis somewhat worse.

Waiting for results on the CT I has yesterday. Been reading of more peoples symptoms from IBS, also eliminated my favorite "birdseed "bread. See if that makes a difference.

Have a fun weekend.

• camillegal
    edited March 2013

OMG Carole u didn't play golf.--Did u take u'r Temp., did u call u'r Doctor or something??? That's the first time I ever heard u say that, u did taxes instead--there's another OMG one. And no weather report?  Be still my heart. Literally, now a days.

Well u'll all be happy to know we supposed to miss this big huge storm that's coming over or under us. No one can figure it all out yet or we'll just get it. It's supposed to be alot of snow by the report(translation maybe an inch) blow north of IL or south of it or we might get it (translation-we don't have a clue) and it supposed to start tomorrow or Monday need I translate any further.So this will be another adventure with Mother nature that we have to endure cuz we have no control.

Jackie u'r quotes are so nice to read, u always pick the best, but it does say unknown author and I have tole u if it says that It is me.  I am the unknown author. When I was young I used to say many a man has turned about when he might have won had he stuck it out. But as I gre older everyone took it the wrong way--so that saying got lost.

• ritajean
    edited March 2013

Well between Chevy and Jackie, I got my laugh today!  I need it bightened up so thanks girls.

Carole............no golf for you today? Wow!  Ii can't say that I've ever hit that point.  I think Cami is right on here.........are you sure you aren't sick????? :-)   Then again, I think it would be fun to spend that gift card.  Shopping does rank right up there with golf!

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited March 2013

Hi to my friends here...I've been working, sleeping unexpectedly, wakeful more than sleepful, stressed over car search, lost my jewelry then found it today after worrying for days...so I haven't been around.
    But I think of everyone here...not too many pages to catch up on. 

Carol, I just can't imagine leafy plant and azaleas in bloom....I will paint that picture on my brain for now...more snow coming to the east coast Monday!  I see Illinois is getting snow....

But I've been thinking of Chevy all day....getting pounded with snow. It looks like it is moving away from CO though.  I hope everything is OK.
    Chevy, I could relate to everything on your list - very funny!
    I hate to admit this, Chevy, but I think my orchid is terminal...only one leaf left that is not changing color.  Time for a new plant?

Jackie, love your quotes...thank you...I hope your hands will feel better soon.  Does it improve when the weather is more humid and the heat is off? 

Bonnets, today was really sunny and nice for a change.  We went out for a hike at the wildlife refuge and the wind was really ferocious!  Did you have the winds too?  It really was not warm, but the sun felt great. 
    I hope you get a good report soon.  And I hope you are feeling OK.

Camille, sending positive thoughts your way and hoping you feel better.

I have an easy work week next week due to spring break and no classes.  I can catch up a bit.  Taxes tomorrow....I'm not looking forward to it, but it is so much easier now with programs.  I will be away over the 15th so I must get it all done now.

Have a good rest of the week end!

Joan

• illinoislady
    edited March 2013

We need to find the "middle way" in our own lives.  It is the art of finding balance.  Reflecting upon our lives, we soon discover what serves us well--nurturing calmness, ease, and simplicity.  We also discover what it is that leads to entanglement, confusion, distress, and anxiety.  Wisdom is being able to discern the difference, then knowing what we need to nurture and what we need to learn to let go.

Christina Feldman

• Chevyboy
    edited March 2013
    Morning gals!  Wow!  The sun is shining............... On top of a foot of snow, Ha, ha!  I'll bet it doesn't stick around long....

That goes for both, because it's supposed to snow again tomorrow.

(moan,whimper...)

Oh well, those days of warm Spring make the snow more bearable, and it has been so DRY here!

Carole!  You said you didn't feel like playing golf?  Maybe something was just "off"..... Maybe you had in the back of your mind, that you "needed" to get some things done, and sounds like you did!    I love to get things accomplished.

Tomorrow I'm going to call Insurance Companies..... Want to change from Hartford through AARP for the Auto and Home owners insurance.  Man, the prices are so HIGH!  And that is for 2 older cars, with just liability! 

So I just dread all that phone work, but I have to do it soon... Dang!

Bonnets.... I used to LOVE the Home and Garden Show!  But after I go to those places, I get so many ideas, and come home and make my gardens into "show-gardens!"    And then I drive myself nuts trying to take care of it all!

THIS year, my gardening has been slimmed down!  Only going to plant what I really want, and will eat!  Just cleaning a lot of it out!  And it's too hard to do all that work....

Hi Rita and Camille!  And yes Joan.... Man, we really got hit!   But it just makes me think of more things to do once I get outdoors. 

You know, I bought a "raised" garden thing.... It is round, and you straighten it out.... (It's like a big plastic wide band.... About 4 feet round.  Then you fill it with soil and compost, and you can do this anywhere in your yard... Now I just have to think of what I want to plant IN there.... Ha!  I mean as soon as I can FIND it under the snow, again.

I've been posting on the OMG They Found The Cure For Stupid thread, and also the  STFU thread..... Those threads are sometimes just hysterical.....  And some of the gals are stage lV, but still finding humor in just silly things....about what people SAY to you.... 

Brings out the "wild" side in me.... Ha, ha!  It's so fun to try and make people laugh ......Even if we ARE older..... (at least some of us....)

Morning Jackie!  When are you getting your hearing aids?  I keep forgetting to ask?  Both my batteries are "warning" me that I need to replace them, Ha!  Usually doesn't happen at the same time.... After about 1/2 a day or more, they will finally give 4 little beeps, and just die out!  Kind of funny that they do that.   It still amazes me that those tiny things can make such a difference..... Kind of like waking up, putting them in, and it turns the world on! 

Okay friends.... gotta jump-start this cold morning!  xooxxoxo
  • Chevyboy
    edited March 2013

• camillegal
    edited March 2013

Good Morning fellow seniors.ick

Well jackie u got a lot of snow--we didn't I knew it was coming u'r way this time--It's all a crazy maze and we are the mice. U'r garden will be coming soon don/t fret.

And yes Chevy and i both post on STFU thread, why not it's lots of fun maybe  little off color but at this age colors are blurry to me anyway.

I hope everyone has a good day--It's Sunday so do u'r Sunday things.

• illinoislady
    edited March 2013

Good morning.....well, that is how you choose to see GOOD.  If meant that I woke up and my chest was moving  in and out....that was extremely good and even allowed me to arise, use the little room with the white throne and move on into the kitchen where I could have my Omeprazole and then pour a cup of coffee.  Thereupon to congratulate myself for thus ensuring a normal start to my day. 

It did rain for some part of the night and though I did get up late it sounds like the "storm" that was predicted is definitely on the way.  SIGH !!!!  I think we will get snow...and possibly several inches.  I think it is coming from Colorado, Chevy and I plan to send it back from whence it came.  Just teasing !!!  I don't know where the origination point is and it really doesn't matter.  I do feel funny though....there are Easter lilies up and I know tulip bulbs are attempting to spring out of the ground.  I hope there is not damage...or too much to them.  I haven't looked at the trees as yet....it does seem like the bushes that border the ravines at the sides and back of our house give first indicators...so hoping all will be fine there.

Joan...ah, Murphy's Law.  The more stress and worried, the harder it is to deal with something.  Sometimes, when I have lost something I have to purposely forget about it for a while if I can induce the forgetfulness.  Once all the distress caused from the lost item is removed, it usually magically appears.  That is.....if it is not actually lost but only miss-placed.  I find this commonly happens when I put something "someplace" where I can't fail to retrieve it the minute I want it.  BOY, watch out for that one.  That is the one that makes me honestly thankful I'm not a drinking person. 

With plants....many yrs. ago now I was a Seed Analyst for Burpee Seed Co.  Up until that time I was hopeless about plants.  I could make a weed suffer, mind you.  But, just doing what I did....apparently in my psyche with all its pride just couldn't allow for such grave injustice as to go around letting plants die.  I became a fine indoor gardener.  Now I'm back to not having plants because I hate watching their almost sure demise.  I lost the Midas touch.  The other thing is.....anything that comes in here that has even a remotely green hue to it, my cats will attempt to eat.  It is part of their nature to aid digestion by eating green ( usually grass ) plant-life.  So, I just don't do it anymore. 

I hope you all have a fantastic day....and I'm hoping for a beautiful warm sun.  We won't have it here, but if you have it and enjoy it great. 

Love and peace,

Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited March 2013

Sort of big, ( the whole picture ) but cute: