Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited March 2013

Good Morning Chevy--I like what u'r DD sent u--these are a few of my favorite things--(song)

Chevy I do thatbut somehow I spread thescreen, doing the exact same thing and sometimes it doesn't pread it.--So it's like a 50/50 thing for me. I actually taight myself how to do it and paste and copy but somehow, somewhere in this universe there has been put a pax on me and that'a how it's coming out. OK I'm going to do it--now no one get mad if the screen spreads it eventually goes back.

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited March 2013

Well THIS screen is acting up also, but maybe the Mods will fix it... 

• camillegal
    edited March 2013

• camillegal
    edited March 2013

Well et's see about thi time.

• Chevyboy
    edited March 2013

Nope, must just be ME.... Ha!

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,629
    edited March 2013

You cannot fail at being yourself.  A cat doesn't try to be a tiger, and you shouldn't try to be something you aren't. You are a process, not a product.  Your job is to discover what you are and create that creature.  You still won't be perfect, but success isn't about perfection--it is about authenticity.  You are a success if you are being your real, authentic self.

Bernie Siegel

• illinoislady
    edited March 2013

• illinoislady
    edited March 2013

Ok....I went and tried it the way I do it.  I have some sites saved on my desk-top that change their pictures quite a bit and I use them.  I have my BC.Org screen sized to come on just past my regular  ( where all my normal things load ) email screen which is placed just slightly past my desk-top which is all over to the left side. 

I had such trouble trying to go back and forth and not lose anything I was working on.  Anyway, it has been working for me to copy that way and drop right in to what I'm working on elsewhere.  Just cuts down most of the steps that tend to be cumbersome.

OMG --  Chevy.  Well, you know I'm going to have to capture your post somewhere.....the first one looked so yummy.  I'm a big fan of using macaroni in odd places.....may I repeat myself. Yum !!

Peace and love

Jackie

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited March 2013

Hi, no snow at all and the storm has passed.  Welcome Spring....
    I have not had any luck lately with copying and pasting images.  OK I just tried and it worked here.  Yay!
    image alt="" width="123" height="77" align="middle" border="0" />

Edit UPDATE...I could see the photo when pasting but it does not appear when I submit. 
    Here it is with using the insert and the URL...

• bonnets
    bonnets Member Posts: 737
    edited March 2013

I'm on an Apple, still don't even know how to add my picture to the site, let alone anything else!

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited March 2013

OMG Chevyboy...I listen to that on youtube...I was in tears. It is the way it should be sung and Kate Smith had such a wonderful and powerful voice. Thanks.

• Chevyboy
    edited March 2013

Thanks Edwards!  My mind is in a temporary fog..... I've been talking to Allstate, and downloading copies of home-owners and auto insurance papers!   Then signing, and scanning, and sending back by email.... and even paying for this new insurance with my debit card!   Man, I hope I get this right...

Much better rates than with AARP, and Hartford......   Even downloaded proof of insurance cards!  Ha!  I can stop worrying, once I get this done.

• LindaJD
    LindaJD Member Posts: 134
    edited March 2013

Thanks for all the warm & friendly welcomes!  I love it; being referred to as "a new young gal"!  I'm 57 but my body feels much older! 

Bonnets, just wanted to let you know I empathize w/ you; I've had severe chronic IBS for years.  I take an anti-spasmatic drug for my stomach & an enzyme for my pancreas.  I also have numerous food allergies.

Good to know that some of you had the same procedure as I am facing next week & that you didn't have complications.  Does anyone remember having to bring their own Lidocaine cream w/ them the day of the surgery?  I'm having 2 pre-op procedures; the nuclear dye injection & then the Needle localization.  The nurse @ the Hospital told me I had to provide my own numbing agent!  Not sure where exactly the needles go in, so I guess I'll just slather the whole breast w/ the cream!  People have told me to wrap myself in saran wrap as well.  LOL!  I'll arrive @ the hospital feeling like a frickin sandwich! 

Ladies, for those of you that have NOT read "The Art of Racing in the Rain"; you absolutely must!  Enzo is such a lovable dog!  Just sayin....

Counting down the days; 7 more to wait & then hopefully cancer free! Yay!

Hugs to you all!

• Chevyboy
    edited March 2013

Linda.... Don't be afraid of anything.... Ha!  They inject a nuclear dye into your nipple, which does NOT feel good, but it only hurts for about 3 days or so!  JUST KIDDING!   The dye is so it will travel to your lymph nodes, and then the surgeon can "find them" easier, and remove them to analyze them.  I also had a long curly little wire inserted directly into the "tumor"..... So when they can see "it" with the ultra-sound, or whatever they use, they can see exactly where it is!  I had 2 little incisions....  One under my arm, for the lymph node removal....(3).... and one for the tumor removal, and I had the MammoSite device implanted after they removed the tumor in the same spot....(This was for the radiation)...

When I woke up, it was great!  I was ready to go!  In fact we went shopping the next day.  Remember, you will pee blue for awhile, AND don't forget to take something for constipation, because that anesthetic plugs you up like nothing else!   But do not take MO AND Prune juice at the same time....  Nope.... don't do THAT one.... Ha! 

What the hell is saran-wrap for?  I don't think they will love that, I mean removing that for the surgery?  Or anything else for that matter.... Ha! 

Don't worry about a thing....  We'll all be in your pocket, thinking of you.....  Honest.... my surgery was in-significant!   Don't forget to always ask for copies of your final path report when you go in for a check-up!  And copies of everything they do.  Ask questions, and write down the answers.

Because you will forget....Wink

You guys, I DID it!  I even took pics of the back of our house, and my printer took the little card, downloaded them into Picassa, then I uploaded them into the web album, copied them, and sent them to the agent by email! 

So we didn't even have to have an agent come out!  I even paid her with my account number, and printed off copies of the proof of insurance, AND the policy.... They will send me more, within 2 weeks.   I can sure breathe a lot easier now....  such a hassle!

• Chevyboy
    edited March 2013

• Chevyboy
    edited March 2013
  • bonnets
    bonnets Member Posts: 737
    edited March 2013

Linda,

On the constipation advice, NOT if you have IBSD, had No problem with that!Surprised Nope didn't have to bring a numbing agent. I had the  incision under the arm for the nodes, 2, and the other is under my boob on the inner aspect. Do be prepared to be numb under your arm. That's the weird part to me, cuz it stays that way, at least I still am and so is my  friend. They didn't tell me to expect that. ALso  hated having to wear a bra 24/7 for quite a while afterward. Had to go buy wireless bras. Tried a couple, one I liked better for night, the other for day wear. Also Also found I preferred Neosporin exema lotion as a moistiurizer to the vaseline kind they recommended, Aquaphor. It worked just as well for me, if you do rads.

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited March 2013

Welcome Linda!  Don't the gals on this thread give wonderful advice?  Chevy and bonnets told you everything I could have told you!  All I have left to say is "It's not as bad as you think it's going to be" and "good luck gal!" 

• illinoislady
    edited March 2013

Golly, I never heard of having to bring your own numbing agent, but then I'm an old-timer ( 2007 ) and also I did have everything done at the V. A.   They just give you a bullet to bite on....just teasin', but I am a little amazed at that.  I think you could wait till you got there and have someone direct you to where it should be applied. 

Long day for me so I'm going to go find my chair.

Peace and love,

Jackie

• ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639
    edited March 2013

Something dosen't sond right with those instructions. All hospitals have lidocaine or its equivalent that are used to numb before procedures.

• Chevyboy
    edited March 2013

Ha, ha!  Jackie, that was too funny!  Yes, along with your own bullet, bring a bottle of Vodka, 2 Big Mac's, and some chips!   Oh no, wait!  It's whiskey that those old timers used to drink to knock themselves out when they were getting that bullet removed!  Wink

My Daughter just called me...  5:00 it was!  Scared me half to death!  She was walking in to her store's big Grand Opening today... Well it was a re-model.... She is the floral manager of that King Soopers, and she had sent me these pictures of their arrangements, and how the store was decorated!  We saw it yesterday, and sooooooooooo beautiful!

• illinoislady
    edited March 2013

Each day is a lifetime in miniature.  To awaken each morning is to be born again,
    to fall asleep at night is to die to the day.  In between waking and sleeping are
    the golden hours of the day.  What we cannot do for a lifetime
    we can do for a daytime.
    "Anyone," wrote Robert Louis Stevenson, "can live sweetly, patiently,
    lovingly, purely, till the sun goes down."  Anyone can hold their temper
    for a day and guard the words they speak.  Anyone can carry
    their burden heroically for one day.  Anyone can strive
    to be happy for a day and to spread happiness around.
    Anyone can radiate love for a day.  Anyone can rise
    above fear for a day and meet each new situation with courage.
    Anyone can be kind and thoughtful and considerate for a day.
    Anyone can endeavor to learn something new each day
    and mark some growth. . . .
    The supreme art of living is to strive to live each day well. . . .
    Live a day at a time and remember that tomorrow is another today.

Wilferd A. Peterson

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited March 2013

Oh Chevy......Those are gorgeous floral displays and the prices are fantastic!  Wow!  What a great presentation!

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited March 2013

Wow, love those flowers...there's one thing that the rest of the country has that NY does not....wonderful supermarkets with everything you need beautifully displayed...and clean.  Not a priority here...only a few even have rest rooms ...
    Beautiful display!

Just checking in, but it's late...so will catch up tomorrow...
    Joan

• camillegal
    edited March 2013

good Morning everyone.

where have I been--I'm always here and all of a sudden I don't see me posting. By now is Linda done with this thing? I don't even know, but u gals sure explained it well. All I really remember is the biopsy in the nipple--I told him the worst foreplay I ever had--so it must not have been to bad. So Linda if u'r done tell us or when u'r doing it.

My nose is running, I don't like this---hahaha a simple cold is no longer simple..

Hope everyone has a good day.

• Chevyboy
    edited March 2013

Thanks gals.... yeah, when I was trying to soak in all the changes they made to that store, it just made me think that this was really exceptional.  Somuch work went into detail, everywhere I looked.

I mean I love Super Walmart, but comparing the two, by how they were arranged and decorated, was a huge difference! 

A wife, being the romantic sort, sent her husband a text:

If you are sleeping, send me your dreams. If you are laughing, send me your smile. If you are eating, send me a bite.         

If you are drinking send me a sip. If you are crying, send me your tears.

I love you!

The husband, typically non romantic, replied,
            I am on the commode…. Please
    advise."

• illinoislady
    edited March 2013

Give the best you have received from the past to the best that you may come to know in the future.  Accept life daily not as a cup to be drained but as a chalice to be filled with whatsoever things are honest, pure, lovely, and of good report.
    Making a living is best undertaken as a part of the more important business of making a life.  Every now and again take a good look at something not made of hands--a mountain, a star, the turn of a stream.  There will come to you wisdom and patience and solace and, above all, the assurance that you are not alone in the world.

Sidney Lovett

• camillegal
    edited March 2013

Beautiful Jackie--it is so u.

• LindaJD
    LindaJD Member Posts: 134
    edited March 2013

Hi ladies,

Honestly I'm afraid of what I'm facing next week.  Today was my last day @ work.  It was bittersweet cause I had to say goodbye & not sure when I will return. 

Yes, everyone on here has given me great advice & I appreciate it!  I don't have to worry about constipation w/ my IBS! No prune juice for me! I'm all set w/ new seamless bras & button down shirts!  I will keep the moisturizer tip in mind when the time comes for radiation.  LOVE the elephant; so cute!  Biting the bullet was good too; right about now I can think of other ways to use it instead:( 

I know right; you'd think the frickin hospital WOULD have a numbing agent but no I had to get my own!  I'll just put some on the morning of & bring it w/me to the hospital.  Good to know about peeing blue; I'm sure I would have freaked out over that hadn't I known about it! 

(Camillegal) My surgery is next Wednesday, April 3rd. 

Thanks for the reassurance & all the well wishes!

Hugs to all,

Linda

• stcharleschick
    stcharleschick Member Posts: 17
    edited March 2013

Those flowers are gorgeous!!1

Linda - I was scared too.  Everyone is nervous when going through this.  That is why we are here for you.  You will do fine because all of us will be in your pocket.  Prayers and hugs and anything else you need is right here for you!

Speaking of peeing blue, I couldn't believe how blue it was!  It was like blueberry snowcone color!

Love to all,

Sandy