Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited August 2013

Good Morning and

Jackie finally u realize the importance of all I've ever said--It tookm a long time to get u to understand--Remember --Do good and forget it, Do wrong and always remember--see when I did good with these saying I didn't acknowledge my name. Just a few of us know about this

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,676
    edited August 2013

from Cammie too.

Peace and love

Jackie

• camillegal
    edited August 2013

Oh jackie u are finally getting to know me well. LOL

• mommarch
    mommarch Member Posts: 534
    edited August 2013

Thanks Rita, Her mom and my mom were in the same hospital the same day and gave birth.  My sister died in 2000 of an anurisum she was 49.  It hits home for me. My BFF has always been there for me.  

When our son died in an auto accident in 1980 and his younger brother who was 8 at the time was injured also, she came from Colarado Springs to Junction Co. to be with me.  She is a real BFF

• illinoislady
    edited August 2013

Make peace of mind your goal, and your happiness will follow. ~ Karstein Bjastad

• mommarch
    edited August 2013

Hope everyone has had a good day,  I have been cleaning house.  Been gone so much that it is a disaster area.  Finally got sheets washed that we brought home from camping in July.  Got about half the way done, hope to be finished by Friday.  I do not have the stamina that I had at one time.

Take Care

• camillegal
    edited August 2013

I've been busy too.

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited August 2013

Joan...congrats on your first birdie!  Those are the shots that bring us back to this goofy game of golf!  I wish you many more birdies in the future and now you can go after your hole in one!  :-)  So glad you enjoyed your vacation at home.  Sometimes they are the best...and often so much more relaxing!

mommarch...You and your BFF are so lucky to have each other.  When times are tough we can always tell who our friends are because they magically appear to help and stay as long as we need them.  I am so glad that you have each other and she is very lucky to have you as her BFF. 

Well I have errands to run this morning and then I'm treating myself to a manicure!  Pure luxury and not one that I often indulge in but today is just one of those days!  Hugs to all of you!

• illinoislady
    edited August 2013

Late with the quote today......

Every event of life is a miracle, as is life itself:  Life is designed to provide your soul with the perfect tools, the perfect circumstances, the perfect conditions with which to realize and experience, announce and declare, fulfill and become Who You Really Are.  Therefore, judge not, and neither condemn.  Love your enemies, pray for your persecutors, and embrace every moment and circumstance of life as a treasure; a perfect gift from a perfect Creator.

Neale Donald Walsch

• mommarch
    edited August 2013

Rita thanks, it is pretty unusual these days to keep in touch with a grade school friend,

she is amazing

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited August 2013

Oh Cammi, you little tart!  SURE you've been busy....  hmmmmm.  I'm still reading, (but I don't know why) the rest of that book, 50 Shades of Freed.  Some parts are interesting, like something is happening other than the usual stuff...Sealed  But I just get tired of ALWAYS reading about what ELSE they are doing...  How they will EVER make this one into a movie, is beyond me.  At least "she" is pregnant now, so maybe THAT will slow them down.

You like to get into a good book, that is INteresting, and takes you along for the ride, but it's like reading what a junior high school girl is fantasizing about!   I know I will not go see the movie...never thought sex could be so re-dundant!    But the receptionist at my Husbands Dentist, thought this book was "good."   I'm still wondering about the "good" part.

Mommarch.... I've been cleaning out the "other" garage too!  I just don't use the over-sized cooking pots, bowls, and stuff I needed at one time.  See, we spend our first 50 years buying stuff we "need" and then the last 50 years trying to downsize.

Waiting for it to get light, so I can plant a few yellow Mums!  Rained a little last night, so that should make it easier...Wink

• camillegal
    edited August 2013

Good Morning older people (Chevy in particular)--the sun is out. sky is blue, I see tress of green red roses too and I say to myself what a wonderful world. I know I'm not original. Well as I announced I took no pain pills yesterday, I started today at 4ayem.--so I've been up for a while that only means I'll have another crazy sleeping whenever day.

But it's Friday for all of u Mon thru  Friday  for any one that it makes a difference. It's supposed to be warm again and get warmer. So it's plant time for fall now right. And a lot of u enjoy that.

I hipe everyone has a great day today. 

• illinoislady
    edited August 2013

Impart as much as you can of your spiritual being to those who are on the road with you, and accept as something precious what comes back to you from them. ~~~~  Albert Sweitzer

• illinoislady
    edited August 2013

It is a lovely Friday morning, but it is going to be too muggy to suit me.  Fortunately....I never run out of things to do inside.  There is always some corner or nook, or drawer or storage area that could be thinned....or at least get a good deep cleaning if I decide there are too many things I can't part with yet stored there.

I hope you all have a wonderful Friday....and thinking of Linda and Sharon for that.

Peace and love

Jackie

• camillegal
    edited August 2013

Jackie I thought of u when I heard this and I didn't right it---OK now I should delete this like normal people do but instead--I'm going to say I forgot what it was while I was typing the hello part. LOL But I did think of u. So I remember that.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited August 2013

Thanks, Rita, for your encouragement.  Golf is a great stress relief (if one does not keep score!) but I have a long way to go.

Just checking in...still hopping around to the grandchildren...this week end is my DD's sendoff party at her house - could get pretty emotional during the "so long"s
    I had a few margaritas and a walk on the beach tonight...I had a good cry...much needed.  Just a year ago DS was moving to Chicago. I will find a way to visit everyone...
    Gotta sleep....hair appointment 8 AM followed by driving to NJ again to help DD with party prep. 

• illinoislady
    edited August 2013

• camillegal
    edited August 2013

Joan enjoy every single second of the party and I know u'll look beautiful---Geeze I never go for a mani-or a salon anymore--I've gone to the cheap side--my grandson does my toes, I do my nails and my DD does my hair--haha I've got to many helpers sometimes.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,120
    edited August 2013

Good afternoon.  Or good early evening.  It's almost 6:30 and I am VERY happy to be lounging on the sofa and catching up with my bc sisters.  DH and I drove to Barnesville, MN, today for the Potato Days Festival.  A couple who are our "lake neighbors" here at Pine Hollow entered their 1972 Chevelle SS in the car show at the festival and we went mainly to see their car and visit them. 

We were told by another person who used to live in Barnesville to be sure and sample the potato sausage and the potato dumpling at the festival.  We had both.  The sausage was wrapped in a thin potato pancake that looked almost like a flour tortilla.  Sausage and wrapping were tasty.  Not as chewy as some sausage.  The potato dumpling was served in a little cup with melted butter.  It was almost 2 in. in diameter.  DH thought it was too bland, but I liked it.  What isn't good in melted butter?

It was hot, hot, hot today, at least 90 degrees, so we rode home with the a/c on in the truck and have the a/c on now in the camper.

Yesterday we travelled in a different direction to a town called Pine River to attend the Lakes Blue Grass Festival.  We arrived about 10:30 and set up our chairs fairly close to the stage, out in the open.  The music started at 11 am with a break for lunch and another break for supper.  We stayed until 8pm and then headed home, fingers crossed that a deer didn't leap out in front of the truck.

Tomorrow I plan to stay in bed until I decide to get up and not go anywhere.

This whole week coming up is supposed to be hot but we have been so fortunate with the weather during July and the first part of August that we can hardly complain.

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited August 2013

Morning gals!  Carole, are you talking about something like a "Peroggi"?  A potato dumpling with cheese, then boiled, and sometimes fried?  

Ruskie.jpg

I wonder if you could stuff egg roll wrappers with filling, and then boil them?  I also had some one time, from a little stand in a mall, years ago, and I had forgotten about them.   I think I have seem them in the freezer section, and yes, they HAVE to have melted butter on them... Undecided

Your trip to the music festival sounds like fun... My Brother, a drummer, plays with Tim O'Brien a lot in Nashville...Along with Darrel Scott.....  He traveled to the Telluride Blue Grass Music Festival several times..... with all the groups.

Cammi!  ME older?  Hah!  I am sitting here with righteous indignation, or something like that!   We are ALL older, silly!    And go take your drugs.... You type a little better when you do....Wink or when you don't.... which is it?  Tongue Out  But the main thing is I can sometimes, almost, barely understand what you are saying.    What is it, that I feel I have to shield, or protect you from yourself?  What would I do, if I didn't have you to tease?  But it's so much fun when you give it right back!

It's still dark out...  can't go out and fool around...  besides there's no-one out there to fool around WITH!  KIDDING girls!  It's so dark, I can't even see where I'm walking...   I planted my little yellow Mums, finally!   Along with my "chickens".....  Hens and chickens.... does anyone know what I am talking about?   Cammi wil be confused...  I'm pretty sure she only knows of one kind of chicken.... and that's nuggets.

• camillegal
    edited August 2013

Mornin' ladies.

Carole u have been pretty lucky wether wise thru this trip, so I'm glad it wasn't all awfully hot. I know we're getting much hotter here for the week==U come home next week right. I'm sure as much fun as u've been having it will be good to be home. But u've done so much--Wonderful.

Chevy what do u speak of. Why do u think I am so slowminded?  Is it because u'r nothing but a chicken lover, and groom them for the inevitable--u say they are just for laying (right) but how do we know this is true. And all of u'r gardening in the dark??? Prey that u are burying so neigbors won't see. Hmmm very interesting how u LOVE u'r  whatever, cuz I just forgot everything I was going to say---Oh I guess I am slow minded. hahahaha

• illinoislady
    edited August 2013

"The bad news: there is no key to the universe. The good news: it was never locked."
    Swami Beyondananda

• illinoislady
    edited August 2013

Good morning....Chevy, I love Hens & Chicks, but for some un-known reason....they die on me.  I have yet to figure it out.  I lost my green thumb quite some time back, but Hens & Chicks are some of the easiest things to grow....sigh.  I'll have to keep planting weeds I guess.

Thinking of all of you and hoping carole you don't have to come home to intense heat.  We had a pretty good summer, but now that Fall is almost in the air...oh my.  This week is not going to be fun.  Way too hot and muggy.  Well, just have to hope it doesn't hang with us over-long.

Thinking about you Sharon and Linda and hoping things are ok with you both.  Saying hi to everyone else and hoping life is treating you well. 

Hope you all have a great Sunday too.

Love and peace,

Jackie

• carolehalston
    edited August 2013

No, Chevy, these potato dumplings weren't peroggis, which are Polish?  This is a German potato dumpling, I believe.  It was round and solid but not hard, and floating in melted butter.  I was told they are a lot of trouble to make.  Must be some blend of cooked potato and flour and maybe egg.  I would guess they are boiled in water or maybe chicken broth.  It's fun to try ethnic foods that are different from what I'm used to.

But I wouldn't try something that sounds disgusting, like fried insects!

I went for a 3-mi. walk at 10:20 and got very wet with perspiration.  Now I'm back in the coolness of the camper with the a/c going.

We won't be returning home until the end of Sept. or the 1st of Oct.  From here we're going up to Grand Marais, near the Canadian border for several days.  I have a bc.org friend in Thunder Bay, CAN, who had bc in 2009, and I met her on the One-Step thread.  She and her grown daughter will drive down to Grand Marais to visit.  Her husband is away on a trip or we would be seeing him, too. 

When we leave Grand Marais, we'll visit some of DH's family in IL and MI. 

Hope everyone is having a good Sunday.

• camillegal
    edited August 2013

Oh Carole u still have a while to go before u go home--I thought it was much sooner. But what u have planned sounds funner than going home.

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited August 2013

Carole, what part of Illinois will you be visiting?  It sounds like you've had a very interesting trip!

camillegal....you crack me up!  Love your humor!

And Jackie, I don't have any luck with Hens and Chicks either!  I blamed my lack of success on the shady area where we live!

Hope everyone had a good Sunday.  We went to church and then to a golf outing.  The temps got up to about 88 so it was a warm one here today!  Then we topped off the day by eating at Red Lobster.  I am just stuffed.  Why oh why can't I stop eating when I am full instead of overeating?  Hmmmm..that might help that weight situation, too!

Everyone have a great Monday.

• di2012
    di2012 Member Posts: 871
    edited August 2013

Hi Ladies!

Anyone besides me on Medicare?......they have been a PIA for me....stilll haven't paid ONE CENT for my Dec 2012 BMX hospital bill, only for paid my surgeon for one MX, since the other MX was prophylactic and was LABELED COSMETIC on my summary notice....and when I had my exchange surgery from tissue expanders to squishys, everything was paid EXCEPT for the gel implants....uhhhh, didn't have to the surgery to just have another  operation!

• illinoislady
    edited August 2013

Hi Di2012.  I think the majority of us here have Medicare.  I have had it for hmmm.....about 3 yrs. now but have never used it.  I don' t even have a card.  They never sent one and just automatically signed me up and started removing money from my SS for it when I got to the AGE which was appropriate. 

I'll have to start looking into some of the senior services round' here.  I bet I am missing a lot.  Just haven't had a lot of time ( I could correct to not making the time ) to get around to some of those things.  Anyway.....glad to see you here and hope you will come often. 

Peace and Love

Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited August 2013

I believe that the first test of a truly great person is his or her humility.  I do not mean by humility, doubt of his or her own powers.  But really great people have a curious feeling that the greatness is not in them, but through them.  And they see something divine in every other person.

John Ruskin

• carolehalston
    edited August 2013

Di2012, I've been on medicare for 5 years.  My 2nd insurance is Blue Cross Blue Shield, Federal, Basic.  I had no problems with payments to health providers in 2009, when I was dx'ed and underwent surgery for BMX with immediate reconstruction.  I had zero expenses out of pocket except for a pain med. pump that was not covered.  My PS provided it at his cost, which was $300, if my memory is correct.  He strongly recommended it and I was very glad that I took his advice.  The pump automatically dispensed pain med. for about 3 days.  Then it was removed.

Sorry that you've had so much aggravation at a time when you don't need to deal with such problems.

I think it's crucial that health providers know how to categorize expenses so that there's no problem in having them covered by medicare.  My drs. always alert me to potential problems in coverage.

It's my understanding that insurance companies are required by law to cover the prophylactic surgery when MX is necessary.

Rita, we'll be in the Chicago area.  One of these days you and I will have to get together when we go to Decatur to visit DH's sister.   

DH and I went biking this morning and survived the heat.  Now we're inside the camper watching the US Open tennis.  Tomorrow we're planning to drive to Fargo/Moorehead and meet some friends who live in SD.  We'll have lunch with them and maybe do a little sightseeing.

Happy Monday to all.