Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited September 2013

Carole is so count on type of person, I'm really concerned (as we all are) that we haven heard from her--I hope today she can post and tell us everything's OK.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,922
    edited September 2013

I'm worried about her too. Perhaps she doesn't have computer access (hope hope).

• di2012
    di2012 Member Posts: 871
    edited September 2013

ANYONE....PM Carole?

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,676
    edited September 2013

Di,

I p.m. ed Carole just a little while ago.  Hoping to hear something soon.  I know we are all trying hard to remain as positive ( for Carole and hubby ) as we can, but it is just hard to say.  I'm sure we all have many feelings of what it might be like to have our better half get ill while we are far from home, family, and daily next door friends. 

All we can do now is just continue to hope that things turn out as well as they can. 

Peace and love

Jackie

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,120
    edited September 2013

All those prayers and good thoughts must have helped because DH seems to be better.  He stayed in the hospital overnight on Thursday and underwent tests and monitoring.  Everything looked ok so the cardiologist did not recommend doing an angiogram.  The diagnosis was angina.  DH was discharged Friday afternoon with a couple of prescriptions, one for long-acting nitroglycerin and the other for the little nitro pills for him to carry in case he needs them.

He's supposed to see his cardiologist at home right away when we return.  So we decided not to keep to the itinerary of visiting different members of his family.  Instead we're heading back home tomorrow.  It will take us 4 or 5 days because we don't travel long days.  I can tell that he's still concerned about his health but he tells me that he isn't experiencing the spells of tightness and pressure in his chest. 

Thanks to all of you for your love and concern.  It means a lot.

If this had to happen, it couldn't have happened in a better place.  St Luke's Hospital impressed us as being a very good hospital and it's only a couple of miles from the rv park.  I didn't have any trouble driving back and forth in the big 1-ton pickup truck.

Hugs to all.

• illinoislady
    edited September 2013

Carole....how wonderful. I know you and Dh are 'fairly' relieved.  I'm still wondering if it had anything to do with altitude, but likely not.  I'm happy that you are going to journey back home where you will be with Dr.'s that you know and will be able to have a lot more support if needed. 

Of course, we here all hope you don't need any and that things will just go bck to normal.  I'm sure to a person we are all so happy that things seemed to have turned out all right....though we all wish health-wise you could have stayed as long as you liked with no problems at all.

Hugs to you and dh.  Our hearts are a lot lighter here now.

Peace and love

Jackie

• di2012
    di2012 Member Posts: 871
    edited September 2013

Great news Carole.....safe journey in your travels to your home.  Wishing your hubby good health.

Di

• mommarch
    mommarch Member Posts: 534
    edited September 2013

Praise the Lord, I am so glad to hear this.  I have been checking everyday.

Hugs

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484
    edited September 2013

Carole - so sorry your trip has been cut short but so glad your DH got prompt treatment at what sounds like an excellent hospital. I can't imagine being that far away from home with a major illness. I hope you felt our hugs and best wishes. Here's hoping for uneventful safe travel home. Maybe you all could do a short stint up there mid Oct. or something to see DH's relatives.

• wren44
    edited September 2013

Carole, Big relief. We'll continue the prayers for a safe trip home with no surprises. Hugs.

• camillegal
    edited September 2013

Carole as u can see we are all relieved u'r DH is out of the hospital and u'r on u'r way home--It's always good to be home but I'm glad u had such an excellant hospital that such a relief to know they did well. Safe travels and whenever u get a chance keep in touch with us.

• camillegal
    edited September 2013

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited September 2013

Morning gals..... Carole, so glad you guys are on your way home, or even home by now?  I looked up Angina....  It's a completely different situation than my DH had...

Be sure you go go a good Cardiologist when you can!  Medicine has come so far, even in these past few years!  

It's just beautiful that you two can enjoy each other on these trips!  Sounds like you both love the same things....

Really been hot here, but supposed to cool down by next week-end.... Maybe the high will only be 62!!!!  Not in the 90's!  Still cleaning up the gardens a little, when it's cooler in the mornings.

Have a nice day! xoxoxo

• illinoislady
    edited September 2013

Each of us has a purpose for living beyond our own survival and pleasure.  Every individual is like a thread in a beautiful tapestry with a vital contribution to make, not only to the sustenance of life as we know it, but in the creation and development of more beneficial expressions of life.

John Marks Templeton

• illinoislady
    edited September 2013

Good Morning, Smile

Wishing a great morning for everyone and especially thinking of you Carole and Dh.  Hoping you have a peaceful and un-eventful trip home. 

It is trying to rain here.  We can sure use some.  I do think though it will bring back a fair amt. of humidity which isn't my happiest thought.  Oh well....it is all just a part of summer winding down.  Hate to say it, but I'll be gripping about snow and cold way too soon...so will try and be thankful for the couple more months of warmth. 

Nothing much planned today.  It is Dh's last day of work.  The Sears store in Mt. Vernon officially closes its doors today for business.  Really sort of hard to believe...even more so I think since there were rumors a couple of years ago.  They were not true, but when contracts ( like store leases ) come due and neither party is satisfied with a number of things, then stores can close.  There are plenty of Sears stores and home town stores ( franchise-type stores ) that will still be around.

Chevy....yards, aren't they always fun.  Seems like just yesterday you were talking about planting, and putting out some veggies...and now it is coming time to disrupt it all for the coming cold weather.  Wow !!!  I think I have to pay must a little more attention here.

I do hope you all have a fantastic day.  I am thinking about each and every one of you and always ask the Universe to watch out for you.

Love and peace,

Jackie

• camillegal
    edited September 2013

Jackie that was a good one. Now I hope Chevy reads it and realizes that I'm very important in life.

• wren44
    edited September 2013

Cami, you're right! Chevy would be bored to tears without you to tease.

• Chevyboy
    edited September 2013

Cammi, you little brat!  You KNOW  you are very important in my life!  WHO else could I tease and have fun with?   You and I are like Sonny & Cher.  You be Sonny, and I'll be Cher!  Or you can be Bud Abbott, and I'll be Costello.... He was the little pudgy one right?  

If you REALLY wanted to help, you could hop on a plane and come out here, and help me with my gardens!  You will never GUESS what I found yesterday!  Nope.... not that..... or that either!  It was aNOTHER wasp house, on some hanging brass bells in that same tree, in about the same PLACE that I removed the OTHER hanging bamboo thing! 

I noticed, because I was standing there watering, and I kept swatting  at whatever it was!  THEN, I'll be darned!  Tere were about 6 of them on top of this little hanging "bell"...!  I moved rather quickly....  In other words I made a mad dash out of the garden!   Their OTHER nest is over where I moved it, but somehow, they weren't pleased!  So their "friends" thought "I'll show HER"!  And made yet another home out of a hanging bell thing. I'm leaving them all alone!  Their days are numbered.... anyway. 

And yes Wren....!  Ha, ha! 

Jackie, that was beautiful!    That sounds just like you..... "A sweet good morning!"  xoxooxox

• camillegal
    edited September 2013

Chevy I though they'd have the scent of that nest---well there time is almost over so when it is GET RID OF THEM or they'll all be back in bigger glory next year. U'r to kind to those little buggers. Oh Oh did I say u were kind--it should have ended with kind of--something or other. but I see how kind u are--I would make a wonderful slug for u'r garden tho. Have u gotten stung in the last few years by anything? I know I haven't at all since I got bc so they should make bug spray with all this stuff it must work. LOL

• carolehalston
    edited September 2013

Thanks to all of you good friends for your kind words and thoughts. 

The med DH is taking seems to be making him feel much better.  We left Duluth this morning and drove a couple of hundred miles or so down into WI.  We stopped at an rv park about 3:30 or 4:00.  Tomorrow we're planning to drive to Decatur, IL, where we'll park in DH's sister's driveway.  If it's really hot, we'll sleep in their house because we won't have an electrical hookup that would support running the a/c.

Aside from not looking forward to the heat, humidity and threat of hurricanes, I'll be happy to be back home.  It will be SO nice to have a washer and dryer!  And nice to see my mother and sister and other family members. 

Pro football season kicked off today.  I got text messages from my sisters telling me how the New Orleans Saints were doing.  They actually defeated the Atlanta Falcons.

Chevy, it does seem like only yesterday that you were doing spring work out in your garden.  Where did the summer go?  Well, it hasn't "gone" in Louisiana!  We aren't likely to get any nice cool weather until the middle of Oct. or early Nov.

Prayers for our bc sisters who are losing the battle like LuvRving (Michelle) on the What's For Dinner thread.  She's also on some of the stage 4 threads.  Michelle has fought so hard and been such an inspiration.  I and many others have so hoped she would extend her life through treatment. 

Hugs to all. 

• camillegal
    edited September 2013

Carole I'm glad u'r DH is feeling better, wht a relief and like u said take u'r time coming home. U'll be there before u know it and if it's still hot it'll be no fun. U must feel a relief, that is scary.

Here's to safe travels.

And yes i know too about Michelle and it heartbreaking.

• termite
    termite Member Posts: 238
    edited September 2013

Carole,

Glad your dh is feeling better. Have a safe drive home.

Hi to all the other ladies. Hope everyone has a great week.

• carolehalston
    edited September 2013

We're in Decatur, IL, at dh's sister's house.  It is HOT.  We'll be sleeping inside the house tonight.

Tomorrow we won't be in a big hurry to leave early.  We'll probably drive to Cape Girardo, MO.  I'm thinking we will be home on Thurs.

DH has an apptment with his dr. on Friday.

Hope everybody had a good Monday.

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited September 2013

Oh Carole,  I'm so glad to hear that hubby is doing better!  He will probably feel even better when he gets back to the homefront and his own doctors.  Travel safely!!!!

• illinoislady
    edited September 2013

Love all God’s creation, both the whole and every
    grain of sand.  Love every leaf, every ray of light.
    Love the animals, love the plants, love each separate
    thing.  If you love each thing you will perceive
    the mystery of God in all.

Feodor Dostoevsky

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited September 2013

Dear friends,
    I have 4 more pages to read...but wanted to say hi.
    DD's party was a huge success but too many sad goodbyes.
    I helped DD and her family ( my 2 precious grandaughters with whom I am very close) to a small oceanside town 20 miles south of Boston.  DH and I worked very hard over Labor Day and drove with them from NJ to MA.  We loaded their truck and unloaded...helped with the kids...it was so hot and humid.  We were glad to go home...

But I had a 4 day week end last week and had planned to go back...DD did not say it was OK but finally on Thursday she contacted me.  I had been feeling so sad...couldn't think of anything else to do with my time off.  I quickly packed and ferried to CT then drove another 2 hours.  We had a good visit and I saw the kids settling in which made me feel good. 

My classes have started today, and my long hours too.  I will keep busy but I know i will miss them terribly.  DD and her DH are not getting along...it's all her...he is going back to NJ to work and close on their house.  I hope they can work it out and create a safe, peaceful home for the kids.  It's a beautiful town and gorgeous rental home but without harmony, it's not going to be good for the kids.

Carole, I caught some of the posts about DH's hospital stay...so sorry to hear but glad you will be able to drive home.   Sending hugs and prayers...and wishing lots of good memories from your wonderful trip.

More soon...Missed you all.

Chevy, I knew what hens & chicks are...in the garden, of course!  Good one! 

• Chevyboy
    edited September 2013

Morning gals!  Joan, yes, Hens and Chickens are going crazy right now, Ha!  I have one that is about the size of a dinner plate, looking old and frazzled, but "she" is sending out little chicks, all the way around her!   When I think about it, it is like they are using her energy, to grow! 

It's so hard on everybody, when a home is in turmoil.  And all we really care about are the Grandkids...  Doesn't even matter whose fault we think it is, we just want it to get better.  Just be there for her....  AND the little ones.  Nothing much else you can do.

When Daughter's are strong-willed, and unbendable, it just makes it hard on everyone.   You can talk till you are blue in the face, but they have a way of doing things THEIR way.  Hopefully the kids will be thought about, first.  SOMEtimes they will NEVER get along, at least like they should, but stay together just because it's convenient......  Hardly even talking, and thinking the kids won't notice. 

But they do....  and those kids develope  their own ideas of what a marriage is supposed to be, and what they would NEVER do when they get married and have their own families.

When you grow up in any kind of upheavle,  you just dream of what you will do differently with your own  life.     I grew up this way, and I've talked to my oldest Grandson about  "things" ....  just trying to be there for him.

What is NOT a good thing to happen is when those Grandkids get into it with Mom, and then tell HER what GRANDMA thinks...!  Ha!   So it's a fine line there..... 

Good luck with your classes, little Grandma....xoxoxo

• illinoislady
    edited September 2013

Healing resides in the depth of your heart. When you find the source of Love, all limitations fall away and you discover your wholeness. ~ Inna Segal

• illinoislady
    edited September 2013

Good morning.....how interesting sometimes...........I found this quote this morning and just didn't even look any farther.  Could it be for you Joan????

That opens lots of thoughts for me, and some of the things Chevy said too...........about being strong-willed.  I have noticed a lot of  "strong will" in my daughter......and sometimes it doesn't look so great.  They are who they are though, and for reasons we don't sometimes understand.  Use to think some of the things that happen were due to the many "variations" that come up through different generations --- genes, time frames, and all those things.  Last few years  ( 18 or so ) I've come to think.....each generation  is really finding themselved  ( who they really deeply are )  amid the changing circumstances of the world.  A lot deeper than genes or life patterns in the generations.

Anyway.....I have discovered SOME of my wholeness --- I think there is more.....I think as long as we are alive and don't know what the end of the story really is, that there is more. 

Joan....I do hope for your daughter, her Dh, and the family --- that they might all find some discoveries and  I hope they are good ones.  Chevy is so right though......we can't force our ways and have to hope that what happens in the lives of those we love will in the end result more on a positive level. 

I also know that our appreciation level is deeply tied often as much to the negative things.....because without them, we wouldn't know how good things really are....when they are good. 

Hope you all have a great Tuesday.  A work day around the house for me.  I did my Tues. yesterday ( I normally work on Tues. and Thurs. mornings on Orchard Lane )  so will be home today and tomorrow.  Always things to do and interesting.......second full day of Dh being off work for now.  He has some feelers out and seems something may turn up in the home-town Sears store here.  Likely just a couple days per week.....and that would probably be enough. 

Carole...still thinking about you....wish the weather was a bit better for you.

Peace and love,

Jackie

• bonnets
    bonnets Member Posts: 737
    edited September 2013

Hi ladies, I have been dropping in and reading your posts.

Carol, so glad to hear your hubby is doing better and will see his dr. when you get back home.

Joan  I definitely know what you are going thru with your daughter. My daughter and DH are having problems too, and don't know if they will stay together. They have 4  young ones from 13 to 5, hate to see the family fall apart. There is little we can do as moms, since she was young I have  heard"but Mom" , if I tried to tell her anything, and as Moms , we like to fix things, sooo it is frustrating.

Am wondering if  any of you have decided to quit Arimidex , because of side effects? Any more my arthritis is really getting me down, everything is stiff and hurts. I used to have some , but lately I'm thinking that the Arimidex is the culpret, and am tinking of  stopping to see if things improve. Feel like I gained 20 years! Just wondering.

Was so nice and cool here but is getting much warmer and more humid. I'll take cool thank you!Went shopping for some new sheets, with the memory foam pad on the new mattress , the old ones  don't hang on. Wow, expensive, up to a top price of$ 199.00, not that I bought those. DH complains the ralph Laurens I got at Home Goods are too crisy/stiff, so went looking for softer ones. Got 1 set, go to the outlets and see next week. Guess that's about it from here. Have a  good day everyone.