Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,676
    edited September 2013
    "You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you have truly lived are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love." 

-- Henry Drummond 
  • illinoislady
    edited September 2013

Good morning....and great topic here to explore.  Got a kick out of the "Italian" talk.  My friend here is a Chicago Italian....Mama mia.  Her sweet Dh who passed away about 4 months ago now I think....was always fun to converse with as he has a Chicago mafia slur to everything.  Never forget the first time I ever talked to him.   He was driving this huge Crown Victoria.  What a sight.  Frank was about 4" 8' and sat on a pillow.....but I'm sure he felt much bigger in that car.  Dh and I were walking and Frank stopped to chat......and as we got ready to walk on he told us where he and Betty lived and said....com'-on over and have a Coke....I'm good fer'it !!!!  Never forget that with his Mafia twang included.

More stories and thoughts later.  I have to think about getting out to feed my feral cats.....

Peace and love

Jackie

• mommarch
    mommarch Member Posts: 534
    edited September 2013

Happy Birthday Jackie, hope it is special.

Rita these are some of our Wild Donkeys that live in our Community

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited September 2013

Yes, the Italians ARE loud!  Ha, ha!  Man, if that isn't an understatement, I don't know what IS!  Wink   And I swear, they think they are ALL related!  No matter what your last name is, or if you have relatives from somewhere in Italy, you HAVE to be related! 

And I LOVE that Jersey accent especially with those Italians!  I also loved the Soprano's....    I was just intrigued with "the mob"....,. and read a lot about the different ones.... Like how they started Las Vegas.... Even the Smaldone's here in Denver!   They were what you would say a colorful bunch.     

And since I was Irish.... well actually, I still am.... I was not getting any approval rating for a long time, when I met their DS, or dear Nephew, and Cousin.  Also, another strike against me, was I was not Catholic.  NOT that most of them hadn't seen the inside of a church since someone died, but just not BEING one, was  hard for them to understand!    I really did turn out to be okay, they figured!   Except for the fact Italian MEN seem to think the only reason to procreate is for a Son.... Many of them.   And since I had two Daughter's, my Dear Old Fart of a Father In Law made it a point on several occasions to throw that up in my face... AND his Son's.  It's a wonder he didn't take my baby daughter's and put them out on the ice!   How we live through SOME things without throwing hammers at SOME people, is a miracle.

But Cammi is my favorite little Spaghetti face !  Cammi, are you REALLY full-blooded Italian?  Did your family ever fix chicken-feet?  They put them in spaghetti sauce!  And Pig-tails and cabbage?  Actually, those were good.   And  they made pickled pig-ears?  Now THOSE were questionable.  It's a wonder I even learned to cook "normal" food.    And so seriously, I think Chickens only lay eggs for about 5 years.... but yes!  Those girls all lay an egg every day!  6 of them!  

Mommarch, you really live around wild donkey's?  How fun!   We live within probably about 40 feet of this ditch....  It used to be used for irrigation, for the Farmers living further North-east... But it is hardly ever turned on any more.   So WE have had Raccoons, Foxes, little frogs and even a few snakes since I have lived around here...  And I've lived by this "irrigation canal" since I was about 10.

Okay....  Onward and upward! 

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,120
    edited September 2013

Italian food is my favorite ethnic food. 

• mommarch
    edited September 2013

Chevy, Yes they are a delight

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited September 2013

Carole, DD goes to Disney every year.  The little one is a handful and if mama is in sight, nobody else can do anything for her...that said, Caroline would absolutely love Disney.

Now, Cammi, you made me smile out loud Cool ... now look what you've done...you're bringin' out the Italian in everyone!!
    I (Irish and Catholic) married Italian... his mama would make the sauce and I'd watch them pulling all kinds of unidentified bones and meat out of the turrine ...I was somewhat horrified...LOL!
    Chevy, glad you were finally mostly accepted!  My DH is also Dutch - talk about thick-headed...he does miss the italian cooking...I never did learn.

• illinoislady
    edited September 2013

"There is a criterion by which you can judge whether the thoughts
        you are thinking and the things you are doing are right for you.
        The criterion is: Have they brought you inner peace?"
              Peace Pilgrim

• illinoislady
    edited September 2013

Joan....ah ha, you made me smile.  Got to thinking about my Italian lady friend always talking about the neck bones she and her family enjoy.  I've never had the courage to ask her my huge nagging question " The Neck Bones of What ".   I mean I guess I'm just too embarrassed or something.  There are all sorts of animals......and pretty much, they all have necks.  But if you just say to me....I'm eating neck bones......now, it just doesn't sound too yummy to me......sigh !!!! 

Maybe I'll just look it up on the Internet and I'll know after all these years----all I ever wanted to know about neck bones and probably way more than I care to know.  A little exercise for Sunday afternoon.

Just got done making home-made noodles for my boiled chicken.  It was often the Sunday meal at our house and that is what Dh wanted.  I like it myself....but sorta stall about fixing it as making the noodles is tedious and the kitchen has a flour coating afterwards.  It will evoke only the best memories though.....Sunday smells coming from the kitchen -- if they could just bottle it.

Peace and love

Jackie

• Rachelannette
    Rachelannette Member Posts: 30
    edited September 2013

Jackie, let this Southern girl jump into your conversation about meat and bones. In my family, a favorite staple of my mama and daddy was pork neck bones and rice. I have to say, it was very tasty, if you just didn't think about it. 

Also, I had an aunt that I helped kill and butcher her own chickens, and very often, she would cook the fresh chicken right after butchering it, and then make homemade dumplins. Some of the best. She would also clean very well herself and sometimes put the feet in the pot. But she would tell you only if she cleaned them! 

I, however, have been married 46 years, and have not repeated those family recipes!

Rachel

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited September 2013

Chevy yes 100%, my dad was born around Naples and my mom was born here but her parents didn't speak a word of English and u had to talk Italian to them, my dad's mom too. And the the food u mwntions yep my Dad woud do it, never tasted it tho, sounded terrible to me, still does. ick LOL

• illinoislady
    edited September 2013

Thanks Rachel.....wow.  Ok, it is likely that my family might have had some bones....I know they use to eat pickled pigs feet and when I was a kid....to me that was GROSS with a capital G.  Also oily sardines out of a can and I thought that just as gross.  To the best of my knowledge I've never eaten a sardine......wonder why a person seems to be doomed to the avoidance of certain things all of their life. 

Almost amazed that it isn't just an Italian delicacy but a southern one as well.  By the way, there were a lot of Dutch in my family as well and I think a lot of things my Mom cooked were handed down....like the home-made noodles.  They are only flour and eggs and a bit of water to help the kneading along.  After they are rolled out and cut....they are dredged in flour again and then laid out to dry enough to boil later with the chicken.   My Mom made pea salad a lot as well.  It is a very simple dish too  ( oh why, on why, do all the good things have to have so many calories )  A can of baby LeSeur peas.....yeah, you know, the really costly ones in the silver can, and chop up a little onion, then chop up little chunks of cheddar cheese, then mayo.....enough to get them all good and wet and a mite sticky.  I usually -- just to make it look a little fancy spinkle very lightly some sweet basil on top.  Yum-Yum. 

I think people older than us ( not nearly so many of them around now, huh !!!! ) were used to doing things --- like using feet and other parts of things and were less wastful then we......though I do think there are likely other things you could do with those besides eating them....not sure what they are because I obviously throw all of that out asap. 

The only thing I will do is take the turkey carcass and boil it and make turkey soup from it.  Just the broth and chunks of tukey meat,....which I cook macroni noodles in along with celery cut up and onion, some peas ( yep, the favorite ones....Le Sures ) and I try to save a little bit of dressing.....and put little bits of that on top.  Everyone loves after holiday turkey soup.  I usually can put it in several really clean jars and keep it in the freezer......we often eat for at least 6 mos. worth from one turkey. 

Ah.....Home Sweet Home.

Peace and love

Jackie

• Rachelannette
    edited September 2013

Jackie, pretty little house! Yes, my folks also ate sardines, potted meat, (yuck), hoghead cheese(yuck), beef tripe (the intestine lining, yuck yuck), chicken liver and gizzerds, spam,canned corned beef, lots of nasty things. But, I know they were all very poor and a lot of these meats could be combined with rice, beans, potatoes and stretch out the food for a large family. 

Since I started this cancer journey in May, I have went crazy with eating sweets and carbs, and I know I have to change my ways. I have got to try to lose about 50 lbs, and start exercising. My surgery two mo ago, and then a week of exelarated radiation was done two weeks ago, and I am still very fatigued. I start on the generic arimidex very soon.

Rachel

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,922
    edited September 2013

Jackie, My Mom made those homemade noodles also. She would spread out the dough on the formica table, cut the noodles, and we would go to church. When we came home they were dry enough to cook. I haven't made noodles, but do make dumplings.

• illinoislady
    edited September 2013

I remember all of those things Rachel.  Yech---not for me.  I hope you will do well on your Arimidex.  I have been taking that for over four years now and doing ok.  While on it, the ten yr. pharmaceutical time period ran out on Arimidex  and the generic started being made.  I get all my drugs from the V.A. so it went to a generic --- Anastrozole.  For the first three months I was really struggling.....started to wonder if I would have to get off it and get something else.  It is not the actual medication likely, but whatever the makers of the generic were using as a carrier for the drug.  Just as I was going to call in....my body adapted to it and I have done fine since then. 

I also hope your fatigue clears soon.  We are all so different.....I had some fatigue as well, but it was minimal overall.  I had my rads for a 7 week period.....so I was fairly active most of the time and that seemed to keep the fatigue at bay.  Had it a couple of times though and I just had to lay down and sleep.  Never had felt anything much like that befoer that just took you over and created such powerlessness.  Strange feelings.

I had to lose 50 lbs. too....the old fashioned way.  Then my whoole lifestyle changed......my work became a lot more sedentary and I've lost about 10 #'s and have at least 30 to 35 to go.  I do know that I will have to watch what I'm doing and remain active.....big key for me on the first go -around and fairly certain that and just general over-eating  did me in.  Really have to watch myself this time. 

Wishing you well with everything. 

Love and peace

Jackie

• carolehalston
    edited September 2013

Rachel, my family ate all of the foods you listed.  My mother still loves hogshead cheese, which is sold in most of our supermarkets.  It comes mild or hot.  She also likes the canned corned beef.  She cooks it with cabbage.  My dad ate a lot of potted meat in his lunches that he took to work.  There isn't much food that I find yucky.  I've eaten my share of pickled pigs feet.  And cracklings as well.

Jackie, those "noodles" you describe evolved into southern dumplings, which are made much the same way.  Instead of cutting the thin dough into narrow strips, we cut it into larger pieces and drop it into a pot of boiled chicken with lots of broth.  Chicken and dumplings is one of my "most favorite" foods.  I just love it but cannot afford to eat it often because it's so heavy in white carbs.  AND I always eat too much of it!  Moderation flies out the door when I'm dipping myself a plate of chicken'n dumplins'. 

In some of the old recipes those noodles are called "slicks." 

Some people in Louisiana eat their chicken and dumplings over white rice!  Double white carbs! 

Dinner today at my mother's house was ham, baked beans, mashed potatoes made with cream cheese, green beans, garden salad.  I brought the green beans and salad so I would have some lower cal options.  My plan was to eat very SMALL portions of ham and mashed potatoes.  I succeeded in limiting the potatoes but ate too much ham.  Tomorrow my weight will be up 2 to 3 lbs because of the salt.  But it did taste good.

Tomorrow I guess I'll go back to WW.  And I will have to pay because I'm more than 2 lbs over my goal weight. 

• di2012
    di2012 Member Posts: 871
    edited September 2013

I also remember my Mom and my Oma make the chicken soup and home made noodles, never knew as a kid what those shiney circles floating on the top of the soup were.....fat floating.....must have found their way into my dad's arteries!   also had stinky cheese....limburger cheese and crackers, I even remember as a kid going to the Jersey shore in Cape May some summer to my aunts house and having cheese and crackers....ummm my German roots from both sides of my family.

Hubby and I eat lots of my homemade soup, today for lunch I made egg drop soup with spinach, onions, carrots, canellini beans, Miracle -0- calorie rice and turkey sausage (low cal)....then for dinner with had the soup again and my version of shrimp egg foo yung with bean sprouts, onions, cerery, & mushrooms.....oh NOW so full of veggies! 

(I even had spinach and scrambled for breakfast....trying to kick this anemia, with for and my RX tri-gels F forte)

Anyone else use the 0 calories Miracle noodles or "rice"?

Di

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited September 2013

Hey Chevy...That picture that Camille posted for Jackie's birthday proves one thing!  There are much worse things than turning 68!  HAHAHA!!!! 

mommarch...Thanks for the donkey pictures.  I'd love to be able to see them.  I'm fascinated by your surroundings. 

Carole, we golfed both yesterday and today in sweatshirts or sweaters!  I love the Fall temps but hate the winter months here and will be eager to head south for a few months to the warmer climates.

I hope everyone had a great weekend!

• regbeach
    regbeach Member Posts: 84
    edited September 2013

My mom would always make pea soup using the leftover ham bone from Easter. I made it once for her so far.  She loves soup.  I don't know if she always did or just recently.  I make chicken soup using thighs.  I never even thought to make it from a leftover chicken bone....duh.  (Not that the two of us are eating whole chickens!)

I should experiment with vegetable soup. I am sure it is so easy but it seems a challenge since I never did it and don't remember Mom making it ever.  I actually have some leftover chicken broth. I am sure you ladies will have some ideas for an easy soup for me!

My grandmother made homemade noodles for us when we were kids and mom was in hospital. I'll never forget it- long, thin noodles.  Polish and Slovak...so at Christmas we were so lucky to have homemade pierogies.  The last few years Mom ventured into the task and we carried it on this past Christmas under Mom's supervision.  You should have seen the look on her face when I held the whole cabbage over the pot of boiling water and asked her if I should put the whole thing in or cut it!  Nothing beats homemade pierogies with really thin dough. 

Going to a new outpatient PT tomorrow.  It's in the same building as Mom's inpatient rehab right after the stroke.  It will be the first time I will be back.  I plan to take Mom to see the first PT she had.  It is in a different area than outpatient.  It will be emotional for me.  I don't know if Mom remembers any of it.  She could not even sit up. Her brain had a different version of straight.  She would lean back and to the side. This therapist sat with her and held her up. He talked to her and assumed she understand it all (even if she didn't).  He would say to her, "I know you want to walk again."  That man taught her to sit, taught her to kick, taught her to get up from a chair, and taught her to start to walk again.  He lifted my mother's leg step by step, little by little, rolling along sitting on a stool, in a version of walking while her afternoon therapist couldn't even get her to stand up. Without him, it is hard to imagine my mother would have progressed during that critical time.  It will bring back alot of difficult memories.   Gosh, I think I remember every detail of the parking lot, the building, the rooms, the seemingly unending tests and "events" that cropped up every day.  

It will be wonderful though to show him my mother walking with her cane and me just gently holding her pant waist.  :)

• mommarch
    edited September 2013

I decided to butcher some chickens back in about 1970 and I tried to kill them with an Axe but it was not sharp, it was an awful mess, so my Mom who lived next door came out and stomped on the chickens neck and tore it off.  It was the first time my Mom had ever killed a chicken, My Grandmother always did it.  Then in 1978 when I was pregnant with our daughter I went to my sisters and helped dress chickens.  That was it for me.  Don't care how fresh they are I will get mine at the store.

• mommarch
    edited September 2013

Wren, I make homemade noodles.  It is a family tradition

• mommarch
    edited September 2013

I was always told those little circles were golden ten pennies

• mommarch
    edited September 2013

I was born in 1949, lived on a farm in Iowa.  I remember helping my Mom pump water at the well.  We had no indoor bath had to use the outhouse until I think I was 5 or 6 or maybe older.  We took a bath in the kitchen sink.  I rember going to my Aunts and they filled a tub behind the wood cook stove for a bath.  I remeber my Dad and his friends hand diging the hole for our septic when we finally put in a bath.  My husband was a city boy and had none of these wonderful memmories.  My grandfather bought us a chamber pot so when it was winter we would not have to go to the out house in the middle of the night.  That was a mess.

Hugs

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,922
    edited September 2013

I heard about someone in a small Alaska village who ordered a toilet seat from Sears. They kept it inside by the stove. When they needed to go, they took the warm seat out to the 50gal oil drum which served as the potty. The whole village was envious.

Mommarch, I love the stories about where you live. When we lived in Texas, we drove to Big Bend National Park. I think we turned south at Alpine, and didn't make it to Ft. Davis.

• carolehalston
    edited September 2013

DH and I have been to Mommarch's area of TX.  One year we went to Big Bend NP and we also went to that observatory around Fort Davis.  I remember eating at a Mexican restaurant in a little town the same day (I think?) that we were at the observatory.  There were real cowboys in the restaurant.  Or they were dressed like cowboys.  I feel deprived because we didn't see any wild donkeys!

Decided to skip the WW meeting this morning.  Instead I will walk and continue to follow the WW eating plan.  Next Mon. I may have my weight down enough that I don't have to pay to weigh in and attend the meeting. 

Reg, hope the PT trip goes well for you and your mom.

Happy Monday to all.

• illinoislady
    edited September 2013
    "Confidence is the only key. I know a lot of people who aren't traditionally 'beautiful' -- not symmetrical or perfect-bodied or perfect-skinned. But none of that matters because all that shines through is their confidence, humor and comfort with themselves. I can't think of any better representation of beauty than someone who is unafraid to be herself." 

-- Emma Stone
  • illinoislady
    edited September 2013

Sharon/Reg.....I can see why you would feel emotional about seeing your Mom's first PT.  He gave her back her life abilities.  A wonderful, wonderful committed person -- many as you found out are not, but by golly they have a job and get paid....no matter where their heart might be. 

My version of vegetable soup....I get lean stew beef....and if the chucks are big make them a little smaller.  I boil those in a pot of water for a couple of hours.....when they start to want to fall apart ( pretty much what you want to have happen anyway ) then I dice up some potatoes -- I add extra because I'm a potato lover and love fresh potatoes.......lots of onion, and then you can get whatever other veggies you might want in there.....I usually do a couple carrots, some celery, a can of peas and a can of corn and let it seep till all the veggies are soft enough to eat.  Yum-Yum

mommarch.....a couple of oldies here too....no indoor plumbing in our house...when I left home at 18 there still wasn't.  Pumped water from the well which we drank out of a galvanized bucket with a galvanized dipper.  We washed in the kitchen out of a tub and if really cold.....we heated with a coal stove for many years and a stoker coal stove later --- and so the heat has to drift in....no ducts to carry heat, a tin basin. 

Washed dishes from heating water on the stove for the job, washed in clothes detergent, no rising ( too much heating of water ) and took up too much room.  We did dishes many years on the Hoosier cabinet.  My Mom was so thrilled when they finally put in some built in cabinets.....she had someone take the Hoosier cabinet to one of our old sheds.....where it sat and rotted.  In later years they became quite pricey as a kitchen decoration.  She laughed and just shook her head.  What else can you do when you let a valuable antique rot in your shed.  But...who knew then.

We hated going to the outhouse and almost knowing that a wasp or spider or some darn thing was going to be vying with you for that special room.....cold in winter, way too hot in the summer.  Many a time I came out of there as a kid like I had been shot out of a cannon.  In summer time....going out after dark, barefoot and stepping on bullfrogs......the grassy was dewey wet and they were all over.  My city cousins wanted desperately to spend part of the summer at my house and I wanted to go to their's where I would have a rfeal porcelain bath-tub in a REAL bathroom.  Those REALLY were the days and I am thankful for them.

Carole....i know how your feeling.  I ate two helpings of chicken and noodles and could NOT do without the piece of bread and butter I always had as a kid, to sop up the little bit of left over gravy/juice from the noodles.  I'll be doing some extra walking and exercising to help move those calories anywhere else but on me for too long. 

Hope you all had a wonderful week-end.

Peace and love

Jackie

• Rachelannette
    edited September 2013

Jackie, thank you for those sweet encouraging words and well wishes for me feeling better. Over the weekend, my husband and I bought a camper trailer, and plan to go camping next weekend. I am going to get a bike and hopefully try to ride it! 

My doc said I could wait up to 6 wks after finishing the radiation before starting on the hormone therapy. So, I am relieved, and by then will hopefully be feeling a lot stronger. 

Have a great day! 

Rachel

• illinoislady
    edited September 2013

Rachel...good for you and your husband.  Carole and her Dh go camping and love it.  Of course we are all waiting with baited breath hoping for a decent medical report for Carole's hubby since they had to return early this year.

I think camping in  a trailer is a great way to get away....even if you don't go very far -- just to the next closest atate or something.  I  think we often skip "visiting" places that are fairly close to us for those that are known world wide....like the Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Niagara Falls and of course, Las Vegas.  Hope you and your hubby get a world of enjoyment with it. 

If memory serves....I waited several weeks ( I think up to likely 3 mos. or so is save -- I think ) to start my Arimidex.  Just as I got it I was getting ready to fly to my daughter's house in California.....so I waited until I got back.  Didn't want to  ( don't know if you even could that quick )  have to deal with possible side effects ( also know as se's )  on only the second vacation I ever had.  Hmmm, if I only didn't have so much work to do....I'd go on another one. 

Peace and love

Jackie

• Rachelannette
    edited September 2013

Jackie, I saw that you are a Real Estate Receptionist. Do you presently work? My husband had two real estate offices about 20 years ago, sold them, and then he got into sales and training of a software product to manage residential real estate offices, and he still works full time at it.