Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750
    edited December 2013

Ritajean, great news about your knee. The relief you feel must be huge. As a fitness instructor, I've blown out practically everything over the years, but I think my knees were the hardest to recover from. Acupuncture I'm familiar with but not the cold laser treatment. Is that like a super ice pack?

A lot of people are afraid of acupuncture, but truly you don't feel a thing. Ritajean is right. Years ago my mother (a nurse in an internal medicine practice) was upset when they hired a Chinese doctor. Her training told her it wasn't "real" medical treatment. But after seeing so many patients be helped, she changed her mind. When Dr. Ho left to set up his own practice, Mother went with him and ran his office until she retired. I probably have told this story before...my memory isn't what it used to be...but then, you are all "old" like me so even if I did tell it before, you won't remember! SillyHeartDr. Ho helped my mother with her rheumatoid arthritis...it was amazing to see those lobster claw hands become normal again in only a few days. He helped me with tendonitis in my elbow that months of physical therapy wasn't helping. In less than a week of treatments, it was gone and has never come back. It doesn't work right away...you have to be patient, but a Chinese doctor knows what he is doing.

One of the doctors who works in the burn clinic at the military hospital (where my husband is a volunteer) just got trained in acupuncture. Apparently it works wonders for severe burn patients. I think it's great that Western medicine is accepting Eastern medicine now.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,124
    edited December 2013

I brought my computer and Kindle to the new public library in Madisonville and have spent hours downloading some books on the Kindle.  What took so long was looking through the selections and figuring out the process.  I wanted the books on the Kindle for reading when we're on our trip to Australia and New Zealand in January.

Today I also ordered some Travelsox, which are compression socks that are supposed to be good for  wearing on long plane trips.

Forgive me for not responding to the individual posts.  I skimmed through them.  Today is gorgeous here.  Bright sunlight and high about 60.

Happy Tuesday to all.  I hope it's Tuesday!!! 

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,704
    edited December 2013

Where to begin - Sandra....the minute you said the sweet things about your Dh I had the instant impression that you have taken VERY good care of him over the years and it probably brings a deep sense of joy to be able to "give" back so much of what you have given to him.  We women are the nurturers and bring structure to the entire household and all within.  I think many of the men who get to reverse the rolls now and them 'see and feel' how far the woman of the household will go to make it right for everyone............to give you a "taste" of all you've done for others probably is soothing for him.  He is needed and there is no doubt of it.  Sounds like the two of you have a gracious and loving relationship Good for you both....and just give him a few seconds extra next time you hug him....just don't say it from strange ladies from your blog.

I hope you your need for home health services doesn't last much longer -- it is wearing on you and I hate that you may be dreading the next visit.  I do so hope you will be sent one of the old-timers who will be un-shakable and get things handled almost before you realize its going so well. 

You know....a few tears along the way are not a bad thing.  You have had so much happen to you and that I think some relief ( getting the stress out through tears ) when you have lost so much strength from too many medical incidents....all in a row, is not a bad thing.  There is time later when you are farther along to be "showing" more strength than you do now.  I don't know much of anyone who hasn't reached places in their life when they didn't need to, and benefit from, a few good sobbing sessions. 

Kaara....I'm so sorry for your Son and DDIL.  I'm also sorry that this came so close to a holiday -- though no time is really a good time.  I always had the impression like you, that if something were truly wrong with a fetus, nature would recognize it and step in to  make sure that life did not happen just then.  You sound like you have a loving relationship with DIL so I wouldn't get too concerned.  I would imagine she is far more hurt right  now over losing the baby than by anything you've said.  Be kind to yourself -- we all try to console each other and I'm sure I would have said something just like that. 

As far as the cousin......yes, maybe you are being used, but it is family.  Hopefully, it won't happen again.  Most of us would likely help and it does sound like she lost control in some way and maybe having someone "have" to bail her out will help her to see this control ( if that is what it is ) issue clearly enough to figure out a fix.  I sure hope so.  Like you I think how awful to be so competent and then suddenly have it all go into a huge tailspin.  You are a good person and think it is a wise choice to just give the money rather than put her in bondage to you.  As you know from your GD some people ( even though they know better ) will 'slip' up because its family --- and too quickly forget the great 'favor' that allowed something good to happen for them.  I hope that situation will turn right for you too.

Also....you just proved to everyone how human you are......and that like so many of us --- you don't always make the best choices -- especially with family that you love.  We love you dearly, but your not special after all.  You stub your toes just as bad as we do.  Sort of comforting when we are all in the same boat, isn't it ????

Hope you have all had an ok Monday. 

Peace and love

Jackie 

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited December 2013

Oh Carole, it sounds like you're going to have a fantastic trip! YEA!!!!!

Sandra, the cold laser treatment was a light that was placed over my knee while the acupunture was being done. It made my knee feel cold to the touch but did not bother me at all. In fact, I didn't realize that it was cold until I went to roll down my pant leg and felt how cool my knee was. I loved the story about your Mom. So many people still do not accept alternative medicine and alternative techniques. Now minid you.....I did the modern medical treatments for the cancer but I have learned that many of the natural supplements are just as effective as antibiotics and pain killers for other problems and come without the side effects. I think we need both types of medicine, though.

• SallyS70
    SallyS70 Member Posts: 816
    edited December 2013

Good wishes for a speedy recovery, Termite.  I remember winter visits from Chicago to Florida; what a temp change.

Cami, I hope that you are feeling and moving better and that the phones have cooperated by allowing you to get some recuperative rest.

Chevy, I like lots of ricotta cheese in my lasagna too although I can take or leave the sausage.  Actually I like veggie lasagna with lots of ricotta the best, and I'm not normally a veggie person ...  but I am trying to eat more veggies. 

Kaara, loving thoughts to your family on the loss of the baby. 

(((Hugs))) Sandra.  Did you report the visiting nurse?  Will you ever have to have her visit you again?

Hi Carole.  I enjoy hearing about your trip preparations.

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited December 2013

Thank you everyone for the kind words!

• illinoislady
    edited December 2013

I have always been delighted
    at the prospect of a new day, a fresh try, one more start, with perhaps a bit of magic waiting somewhere behind the morning.
    J.B. Priestley

• Mgster
    Mgster Member Posts: 80
    edited December 2013

Sandra...wow, what an ordeal you are going through!  You should be able to expect the medically trained people they send you to do things in the proper manner without you having to guide them!  And happy that your husband is such a great caregiver.  That is wonderful.

We have had another horrible storm.  I was supposed to go to a once a year dinner party with former co-workers and it got cancelled.  Good thing because it was taking everyone hours to get home from work and the roads were dangerous.

This morning my son in law called to tell me that my daughter was rear-ended on her drive to work.  Even though she said she was okay the paramedics insisted they take her to the hospital which I am glad they did.  They ran some tests on her just to make sure she was okay.  She has "neck sprain" and they sent her home with a collar.  I'm sure she will be in some pain tomorrow.  The car that rammed into her was not registered and the driver had no insurance, which is against the law here in CT.  What a way to start the morning.  It's not been a good year for my sweet daughter.  First she took my breast cancer harder than I did, then they came and told us how excited they were that they were expecting a baby only to have a miscarriage shortly after.  She was 9 weeks along.  Now she has this accident.  She told me she cannot wait for this year to end and I have to agree with her.  

Well, it appears to be warming up here so time to get to the stores.  Enjoy your day!

• ritajean
    edited December 2013

mgster....I hope that 2014 rings in with a better year for your daughter and your family.  It appears that she's had a rough enough 2013 to last for several years!  Enough is enough!  Hugs to all of you.

I am not the only "softie" in this household.  I drove down the lane an hour ago to find a young black and white kitten eating out of a bowl on our front porch.  Mr. D. felt sorry for it because it had been hanging around for a few days.  It is not tame and ran when the car pulled into the immediate area. We live in a rural area where lots of people just dump animals. It makes me so mad.  A few are friendly but most are petrified of humans.  I imagine it will find a bowl of food around here when it's hungry.

You good cooks have made me hungry for lasagna!  Yum!

• rabbitvelvet
    rabbitvelvet Member Posts: 38
    edited December 2013

Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted for almost a week because I found myself getting increasingly "roiled up" in the days leading up to my surgery.  I'm the former OR nurse who turned out to be a mess!! 

Good news the sentinel node frozen section biopsy was negative for cancer spread:)))  Furthermore the surgeon just called to tell me that the final pathology report on the node confirms that it was negative.  The lumpectomy margins were clear and the CA is Stage I but poorly differentiated. 

Recently I have been given wonderful gifts of love, prayers from family, friends and even friendly acquaintances.  When I moved to Oregon 8 years ago I was fleeing an chronically angry spouse and though I loved him and his big Italian family....I grieved the loss of that part of myself as wife with an active social and church life.  For the longest time I was afraid to make new friends and only had my immediate family; daughter, son in law, granddaughter and father in my life. It didn't help that 5 years ago I fell in the OR tearing my rotator cuff and having to retire prematurely. 

Now I am finding a silver lining in all of this, my ex husband has rallied his sister and his women cousins to help support me.  I almost cried when they UNHEALTHY

• rabbitvelvet
    rabbitvelvet Member Posts: 38
    edited December 2013

Yikes my posting got cut off....What I was saying in essence was that I isolated myself in a grieving process that has now ended.  I was mentally depressed and that was very unhealthy.  Surprise what a diagnosis of cancer can do to your mindset.  Now I am reaching out to old family, old friends, to old and new acquaintances.....in essence we all need each other for both the little and the large angsts and or joys of life!!!! 

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited December 2013

Ah geez Velvet!  You have really been in a bad place!  Sorry about that numb-nuts Italian X of yours....  But at least he cared enough about you, to make sure his family could look after you!    Maybe he is feeling a little guilty, or  still has "feelings" for you...  SOMEtimes these Italian men, just let all that macho-stuff get into their heads, and nearly drive everyone else out of their lives.

That's kind of like what we are here for!  I didn't want to talk about what was going on with me either, at least to my family.  I mean like how afraid I was....But coming here, and "talking" to these gals, really made a difference. 

Jackie will tell you about moving on, from one unhappy place, and opening another door to find happiness.... or something like that...  Loopy  Jackie, TELL her what that is that you say..... 

Rita!  Oh I'm so happy that you have a little "stray!"  My Daughter in Orlando has a varitable food kitchen by her house!   She has her "regulars" and then her visitors, and she loves them all!   She would try and tame the gecko's if they let her.

• SallyS70
    edited December 2013

Mgster,  how is your daughter feeling?

rabbitvelvet, you sound like your life is smoothing out.  It's good to meet you and hear your hopeful story.  Life sure takes some unexpected turns, doesn't it.  

• illinoislady
    edited December 2013

Your worth is not measured by what you do.  Nor can you calculate the degree of your worthiness by what you possess.  Your worth is a function of your being.  Your being is colorless, genderless, and believe it or not, ageless.  Your being is worthy of honor, admiration, and respect.  It is a vessel of love and light.  It is a beacon of inspiration.  Iyanla Vanzant

• illinoislady
    edited December 2013

How wonderful VELVET.  You are now officially an inspiration and I'm glad it feels good.  I don't really have anything to tell you much....you've learned it so well for yourself.  You have reached your soul and it has reached you.  That is the part of you that knows everything -- and the part where the Universe goes when it needs to help you recognize and receive your blessings.  Without the rain that falls in our life we would never enjoy and appreciate and love the sun so very, very much.  

I am having a great day too.  Too much work to do to be able to sit down here before work, but right before I left work, I found out that I will be needed extra on Saturday for a few hours. There is something I have been wanting.....and now I'll be able to get it for myself.  Oh Yay --- I looked at it yesterday but after spending $114.00 for groceries just felt I'd have to do without.  Wonderful, wonderful things happen when your not planning on them.  Or to put it another way......when I'm TOTALLY willing to give up what I want...often it just seems to almost fall into my lap.  Now lets' see........Smilewell, ok.....there are a few things I guess I feel like I've given up on but actually haven't.  Happy  Something to work on.......

Hope you are all going to have a wonderful, wonderful day.

Peace and love,

Jackie

• SallyS70
    edited December 2013

Jackie, your post to velvet was inspiration to me.  

• Chevyboy
    edited December 2013

I know!  She always finds a way to lift me up too.....  It's like she is "one" with the universe....  She can move beyond whatever is thrown in her path...    Or just kick it out of the road, and find a way to learn from it....  Thank you little Sister..... xoxoxoxo

• ritajean
    edited December 2013

I think that Jackie has that soothing effect on many of us.  I always read the posts and have lots of empathy with anyone facing any kind of problem but I don't often have the right words to express my feelings and concerns like our Jackie has!

• Mgster
    Mgster Member Posts: 80
    edited December 2013

Sally...my daughter's shoulder is just sore today.  Thanks for asking!

Velvet...a cancer diagnosis does make you look at things in a different light.  And it makes the people around you realize how very much they care.  I took a walk about a month ago and a neighbor who really has never been too friendly to me came running out of her car and gave me a hug.  She said she heard about my surgery and was so glad to see me out and about.  She then even friended me on facebook.  I hope I didn't look too shocked when she hugged me.  HAHAHA

Add me to the list of what Jackie said.  Especially the part about the rain and the sun.  So very true! 

• Chevyboy
    edited December 2013

She just has this calming effect, when you read what she says...   Like she can relate to any situation you talk about....  She knows some of the heart-aches, I have been through, and  I can depend on her to lift me out of whatever it is....  

Maybe she is our guardian angel?   Okay..... yes she is.......

• illinoislady
    edited December 2013

All of my sweet friends here just life me up so high and I'd be lying if I didn't say that hearing nice things about yourself just make you feel worthwhile --- only thing is, now I have to keep living up to it.  The reality that I feel is that often the things you have said make me want to do something -- anything that is good.  I feel like I can "suffer" well and if I can......why shouldn't I take some extra if there is some way to do it. 

I look forward too and take great delight in what you share here......and each of you has your own way with words and they often touch me soooo much. 

I have studied spiritual  ( enter the Universe ) authors for almost 16 years ( big believer beforehand, but not much time to pursue it before ) and  though I'm back to not having near enough time again.......I feel we all have an inner connectedness to each other and the Universe.  There are so many things I can't do, that I wish I could.....and so when I read many of your entries here...I sit for a minute and the first impression that comes......I began writing and whatever comes, becomes the final product.  It is always great to know that it did something for someone, but You see.....I think I'm getting a lot of help with it.

Mgster......cancer is a pretty negative thing over-all.   Many times we seem to notice family members who don't relate or cope well -- just as we are struggling to do the same thing.  We lose some friends and our relationships with some of our family may be different, but one of the big up-sides is that almost everyone on this site has become your friend and as you witnessed first-hand -- some who may have been something of a fence-sitter for some reason are ready to make an overture.  I'm glad --- because well, we really all have a connection and nice when it becomes more than a dial tone.

Peace and love,

Jackie

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,124
    edited December 2013

Hello to all.  Warmth and humidity have returned for a few days.  It was in the 70's today.  But it looks like the weather will turn cold again for Christmas. 

I went to the gymn this morning and participated in an exercise class.  This afternoon I took my mother to her hair apptment.  She'll be 91 on the 27th of this month.  Her hair is a beautiful silvery gray.  She had her eyebrows darkened today.  Isn't that a hoot?! 

Jackie, curiosity is killing me!  What is that special thing you want to buy yourself? 

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited December 2013

Carole how wonderful u are to u'r mom.

Jackie u have always spoken with such tenderness to everyone and we all look forward to u'r posts, it's always hard to put into words what comes so natural to you. And we all thank u for this kindness, I'm sure. And Carole is right what is it u want??? LOL

Chevy my arm is itchy and I have bumps on it--what did I catch from u Missy.,I didn't realize I was bleeding, I know u have something to do with it, cuz of u'r hands. Well I'm no kind like Jackie.

• illinoislady
    edited December 2013

Ah yes....my gift to myself.....a new pressure cooker.  Mine is so, so old.......so I have avoided using it for some time and though I don't use it real often.....I've missed it.  I went and got the new one late this afternoon.   Now I'm just hoping it doesn't freak me out too much when I try it out the first time.  I was so use to the old one that hissed and spit quite a bit and you sort of knew by the noises about where you were in the cooking cycle.

Carole, there has never been a time that I haven't enjoyed how you speak about your Mom.  One of my other loves is older people........sort of shakes you up a bit when you go somewhere and your the only one with creaky joints and a few wrinkles.  Some day......I will be old --- but it is going to be awhile.

Jackie

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited December 2013

JackieThumbsUp I wouldn't have guessed a pressure cooker, but from what I hear they are made differently so they are even safer now.

• mommarch
    mommarch Member Posts: 534
    edited December 2013

Jackie, I have always been afraid of a pressure cooker.  After my Paternal Grandmother died, my Grandfather put beans and ham in the pressure cooker and it blew up all over the kitchen.  Never used one.

It was warm here today , but change is on its way and probably some moisture.  They have changed our DD surgery until the end of January.  She has an upper respirtory infection. Don't know when we will go now.  If they decide they can handle it all we will stay home.

I made sasuage balls today for a party tomorrow night at a friend home.  The receipe made 59.

Sandy I hope you are doing better.  I did not decorate for Christmas either except for a table decoration with candles and an angel in a wreath.  No one will be here and it is crazy at my age to have to put back the mess.  That is not what Christmas is about.

I am looking out my window at a beautiful full moon.

Hugs to all

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750
    edited December 2013

Well, things are looking up. Not only am I feeling much better, I saw the plastic surgeon today and he couldn't get over how well I'm healing since surgery was only 13 days ago. They glued me together this time with Dermabond. No sutures or staples, only glue. Medicine has come so far. I got permission to raise my arms over my head now and do some short mild exercise like walking as long as my blood pressure is down. I can drive again too. No more visits to the plastic surgeon until mid-January. I won't know what to do without trips to the hospital several times a week.

I was given the OK to discontinue the IV antibiotics and the doctor removed my PICC line. It's so weird to see because it's so long. It goes from the inside of my upper right arm to my shoulder, across my chest and down to my heart. You'd think you would feel it, coming out but you don't. If you ever have another surgery and have to have many "sticks" for a long time in veins that don't like to cooperate, I can surely recommend a PICC line. Keeping them dry and sterile isn't easy but becomes second nature after a while.

We broke down and put up some Christmas decorations, nothing much, but enough to make it looks festive for our kids. Our oldest daughter Allison will be flying in from Chicago on Monday evening and leaving Friday morning. She can't stay long because she has two "rescue kitties" at home, Joshua is a 3 year old former stray and Toby is a rambunctious 4 month old kitten. She gets a "cat sitter" to stay in her apartment and cuddle her two fur-boys while she's away. Stephanie in Florida can never get away at Christmas because of work. Her Christmas boxes arrived today and she sent pictures of her two "rescue kitties" investigating the boxes as she unpacked them. Kelvin and Maxwell are 7 month old brothers and definitely her "babies." My son Ryan will grace us with his presence sometime Christmas afternoon. He works nights. It should be a quiet day but I'm looking forward to it now that I'm on the mend and have some energy.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,922
    edited December 2013

Sandra, Glad to hear you're feeling better.

• Chevyboy
    edited December 2013

"JACKIE HAS A PRESSURE COOKER"....!!!!!  Yay!  I broke down and bought one too, last year!  I HAD my Mom's old one, AND my Grandma's, but that thing was about too huge for me!  I like the newer one, and the little 'rocker' top is different!    But I cooked beans all day yesterday, Ha!   Didn't get the Pressure Cooker out... I had some  smoked Pork Neck Bones, and cooked them in another pot, with garlic and onions.  Then when the beans were 1/2 done, I mixed it all together, then added some of those Gnocci's when everything was almost done.   

I was always afraid of those "blow-ups" I heard about, but it never happened...Loopy  You just don't put that thing on, and go shopping, or ANYthing while you are pressure-cooking...Ha!   I have a gas-stove....  We women never had an electric stove...  So it stayed even-heat.  

I fell on my hip/side/back this morning!  Damn ICE!   I  just slipped down this carpeted "ramp" off of our Patio, and I went down backwards, with my SORE knee sideways!  But I didn't hit my head!  THAT was amazing!   I just laid there for a minute, and said.... "ow"...... Lacee licked my hand....  So I knew SHE wasn't going to help me get up, but I did it myself, and I stood.... and nothing fell off!   And nothing hurts yet!   I'll bet today is going to be special!    But I WILL change my Crocs, and put on my boots....  Maybe someday I will learn.

Sandra, I don't put up much Christmas "stuff" either!  I have a few little trees, all decorated, so I'll bring them downstairs, and set them around.... DD is coming over for Christmas Brunch....  And we have to look "festive".... Glad you are feeling better!

Cammi!  Don't go gettin' a Pressure Cooker!  You will blow yourselves to smithereens!   You will be safer, with a camp-stove, and a cast-iron pot.....  outdoors...

Hey, did you ever help Joey make those cookies?  Go buy some!  Take them out of the package, and tell him you baked them just for him....!!!   And then go read him his favorite story!  Or you could pack a "picnic lunch" and put it in a sack, and take it in your room, and  set a tablecloth on the floor, and have a PICNIC!!!   I used to do this with my little Grand-sons.... Only we would go next to our house, and sit by the ditch, and have a picnic and talk about the trees, and the water, and all the bugs!   We all thought that was special....  kids probably thought I was nuts....  shut up Cammi.

• illinoislady
    edited December 2013

It’s
    not how much you accomplish in life that really counts, but how much you give to
    others. 
    It’s not how high you build your dreams that makes a difference, but how
    high your faith can climb. 
    It’s not how many goals you reach, but how many lives you touch. 
    It’s not whom you know that matters, but who your are inside. 
    Believe in the impossible, hold tight to the incredible, and live each
    day to its fullest potential. 
    You can make a difference in your world.                                      Rebecca
    Barlow Jordan