Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• kmccraw423
    kmccraw423 Member Posts: 885
    edited October 2009

Its been a beautiful sunny day in Northern Virginia.  There is a small "wild" area beyond our fence that was left natural.  Those trees are beautiful when you are doing dishes and just looking out the window.

I can no longer get down on the ground to plant or weed or garden.  I miss it but I would need a crane to get back up not to mention a bottle of Advil.  My sister is talking about planting something in the backyard but I wonder if we would just be providing salad for the rabbits I have seen in the backyard.

Bunnie : hare went out from to the forest on a glade and smells a clover Stock Photo

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,279
    edited October 2009

Hi all....I think we are or have been having a little Indian summer, but a much milder one than in years past.  Can't say it was all that warm but working in the sun clearing leaves and nuts the jacket came off rather quickly.  We had rain last night but cooler with sun today.  I think more rain is coming...probably from Jo's.  I am a sun type person and will wilt badly if I have to have too many gray rainy days in a row.  Got my fingers crossed. 

I don't plant anything this time of year.  The yard is too big  and we need to re-do it with loads and loads of dirt to level from erosion loss.....then a system to slow any erosion drastically.  One thing will be to get all the dogs in a large pen....we have some that like to dig and it has caused some grief but we love them and will work around it. 

Still working on auction goods.  Had things to wash up today.  They got dusty sitting in the pantry so the afternoon went re-washing and polishing things.  Progress is being made. 

Deborye...loved the picture of your two black and white cats....skunks I mean.  Makes you wonder how something so cute....Sigh !!!  Oh well, it is a rather good defense mechanism isn't it ???

Hope you all had a wonderful day.

Jackie

• deborye
    deborye Member Posts: 2,441
    edited October 2009

Little Stinkers.

• nas14
    nas14 Member Posts: 27
    edited October 2009

Oh, Pam, you're making me get more & more excited about our trip! How I hope & pray we'll have the kind of weather you're having now! Will definitely keep in mind your recommendation of the Riverside Grill. I love to try out new restaurants. My birthday's on 11/14, so I get to celebrate both that & finishing rads during the vacation.

I'm originally from Ft. Lauderdale, & no matter that I've lived here longer than there, I'll never get used to the cold & snow & ice. The first cold snap has me wanting to head for warmer pastures. I keep telling my DH that I wish he'd hurry up & win the lotto, so I could spend the colder months in warmer climes--don't care where really--just as long as it's warm. In the meantime, I'm glad my BIL & SIL have the condo so I can at least have a little break at least.

My excitement for this week is getting to go to Charlotte on Wed. to spend Halloween with my 3 grandsons (& my son & DIL, too, of course). The boys are 8,6 & 4; Halloween is so much fun with them! They're out of school on Th & Fr for end-of-period conferences so will get to spend some good "Nan time" with them. The oldest one is going to be Sherlock Holmes (loves to read mysteries). The other 2 are Power Rangers--the usual stuff. Am anxious to see what they've come up with for Sherlock. Last year he was Encyclopedia Brown because that's the series of books he was reading. He was quite put out that nobody knew who he was. That child is definitely a Daddy clone!

Have a great week, all my fellow sisters! Don't know what I did b/4 discovering these forums.

• melissa-5-19
    melissa-5-19 Member Posts: 251
    edited October 2009

I don't know the age group here but have decided after reading your entries that I fit- My name is Melissa, I live in Las Vegas but grew up in Missouri and can not wait to get back there- May 2010 is my projected date to move from Hell to Heaven (sorry you Las Vegans  but you don't have real tomatoes, can't  grow flowers and don't have top soil or bottom soil for that matter- also you don't have spring or fall and NO fall colors, otherwise  the people are fine!).

Yes all my pets , dogs, cats, and everyother furry friend I have had along the way is lining the Rainbow Bridge to Heaven along with my Dearly departed family members, or I am not going either. Dog, cats and pets in general give more unconditional love than people could ever imagine.

I was dx'ed 9/10 with DCIS and have the best dx anyone could hope for so I believe that there must be some work waiting for me here on earth. I am recovering from a bilat mx on 10/19, have removed the current ca, the risk on the "healthy" breast and the 100% worry that would follow me all the days of my life. i have spent LOTS of time volunteering for childrens; health care but  this new adventure that I have just gone through may be turning my head in a new direction. Alyson you look lovely and we should all look so health, happy and lovely the next time we have our picture taken!- I am stricking on the ironing thing - only iron selectively but remember the cork in the pepsi bottle!-

Hang in -oh I love the lime green kitchen gaget thing- I have a few absolutely useless gagets myself and will probably collect a few more. Prayers for you and all you family members.

• kmccraw423
    kmccraw423 Member Posts: 885
    edited October 2009

Welcome Melissa!!!  My situation was similar to yours - bx mastectomy - upon patrhological examine - the "healthy" breast had DCIS too.  I had had that one removed for the same reason you cite - 100% worry.  Its a shame we all have to meet this way but what a bunch of great women!

welcome

• lassie11
    lassie11 Member Posts: 468
    edited October 2009

melissa1518  welcome to the club that none of us really wanted to join - when you say you are going to Heaven in 2010 are you talking about Missouri?

And, nas14 , are you in North Carolina and it has cold and snow and ice more than Florida?

It might be the early hour but somehow those postings confused me!

• illinoislady
    edited October 2009

Good morning Melissa and welcome to you.  Leslie is quite right --- we'd mainly all rather be in a much more traditional club --- but if we must be here, we can make it enjoyable  and worthwhile together because we all understand. 

Kathleen.....I loved that you put the green dancing balloons -- in honor of the lime green things and other somewhat worthless gadgets we all could find stashed somewhere in the kitchen. 

Melissa....I am in Illinois almost straight east about 70 miles from St. Louis, Missouri.  I lived in California for many, many years and did so miss ( after a while, as the seasons, Pacific ocean and many other discoveries were new for a few years ) the changing seasons and the snow.  I don't regret the 25 years I lived there --- general Santa Barbara area, but while some might say you can't go home again as a couple of my California friends did --- I have to say, there is no place like home. 

Glad you are decided to come as I'm positive you'll fit right in.  Though I hate to have to say it....this club never fills up.  Always room for more. 

It's raining here today --- double drat  --- but I'll get some inside work accomplished anyway.

Hugs to all,

Jackie

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,088
    edited October 2009

Nancy, Boone, NC, is my idea of a wonderful place to spend the summer.  I love mountains and the closest thing to a mountain here in flat Louisiana is a gentle hill!  My ideal summer cottage would have a gorgeous mountain view from the back porch or the front porch.  That's where I would sit as I had my morning coffee or afternoon iced tea or evening cocktail. 

The last time I visited Boone (quite a few years ago) there was a lot of upscale residential development.  The prices were very expensive. 

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited October 2009

Hi Nancy,

Did I say Riverside Grill?  It is Riverview Grill.  Sorry but I often alter the names of places unintentionally.  I lived in Ft Lauderdale in the late 60s, early 70s.  Wow!  Has it changed.  My son and his family just spent two years there and it has turned in to a global community.  If you asked someone where they were from you meant what country, not state!  And it could be anywhere in the world literally.  They just moved back to the Orlando area which is also a world community now.  One of the high schools brags that it has students from more different countries than most universities.  

I am waiting for a phone call from onc... had my lab work 8 days ago and still don't have reports.  NO reason to think it won't be fine but I am a nervous nellie.  Will I ever get over this? :)

My grandchildren are same ages; boy 8, sister 6, boy cousin 4.  For the first time my oldest wanted a storebought costume, Star Wars something.  Sad day.  The middle, a girl, is artsy and always wants something different... this year, a balloon.  Youngest, in California, is going to be Skippyjon Jones, from a book series.  I always make their costumes and love to do it but this year I had a hard time getting in to it and don't think I did as good a job.  Kids are happy anyway.  I think i am too muddled by everything medical that has gone on.

What would I do without this forum?  Well, I might mop the floors, wash the windows, tidy up better, do some yard work... but would sure miss you all!

Weather looks promising.

Pam 

• pj12
    edited October 2009

Hi Nancy,

I took this on my walk this AM.  You'll have to copy and paste as I can't figure out how to hyperlink it.  Pam 

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=633476&l=890332e2c8&id=1523537510 

• nas14
    edited October 2009

carolehalston - Believe me, if you thought the housing prices her were expensive several years ago, you should see them now. They've promoted the area so much as a tourist destination, & the prices have gone up accordingly. In the 32 yrs we've lived here, it's amazing the changes that have come about--some good, some bad. It takes a lot to pry my sorry butt off the mountain in the summer, though.

Pam - Thanks so much for the pic. I could almost hear the ocean as I looked at it. Also, thanks for the restaurant correction. I haven't been back to Lauderdale since 1992 when my dad died--& don't really want to either. Sorry you're having to play the waiting game with your labs. Don't think we'll ever get over the anxiety & worry. We just want the results yesterday, so we can deal with whatever that we have to. Hope you'll hear something soon--& that the results will be good news.

Melissa - Welcome to the forums! Your fellow sisters will listen to you no matter what--whether you're happy, sad, mad--whatever...because we know what you're going through. It's great to be able to open up to someone who truly understands. You don't have to put on a happy face for us if you're not feeling like it.

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited October 2009

Hi  Melissa, welcome aboard a journey that none of us planned.

How to feel very silly. Realise that you needed to take something through to the Church Office. Pop your head out the  Hall door of the playgroup to see what the group of drama/music people were  doing. They are not dancing so walk swiftly across Hall. Feet go out from under and land in heap on floor. Land on knee and backside. Gallant young men rush to help me up. Silly old lady. Knee sore, pride dented. Walk back to playgroup the long way round. Later had to go back through the Hall as it is the only way to lock up. Have DD1 with me as she needs a a ride up to University and was parking at the Church. How are you asks one of the young men, DD didn't know I had fallen. 'Hi there'  she says to him 'this is my mother.' Get big hug from him. Oh well!!

Now have large swelling below my knee and a beautiful bruise is beginning. Will get them to look at it at Pilates this afternoon.

A question. Do you hang your washing out in the yard to dry? Have been told that in many communities that you are not allowed to and in most it is socially unacceptable. Is this correct. Most people here have clothes lines and line dry much of their washing, something I am just about to do.

Looks as if it will be a beautidul day. Have told Gus the ginger cat that his life will be in danger if he sits on my new vegetable plants again but he does seem worried.

Leslie have you had snow in Ontario yet?

Must go and get the washing out

Alyson

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited October 2009

I have to pipe in and say I am so glad we decided to stay in the San Diego area.

When my husband retired from the Navy 26 years ago, he asked me "What do you

want to do now?", and I replied, " I don't know about you but I am staying right

here !!!!" so here we stayed and I am so happy we did...two of my sons also are

in San Diego and one in the LA area...

• pj12
    edited October 2009

Hi Alyson,

In a fit of "save the planetese" 6 months ago I decided to use my dryer less and asked DH to put up a clothesline.  Here we are in Florida, plenty of sunshine going to waste.  I did not mind the raspy sandpaper effect it  lent to the towels but younger family members thought there was something dreadfully wrong.  DH did not complain about his t-shirts which felt kind of like folded cardboard but he did find the stiff jockey shorts annoying and somehow ill-fitting.  Hanging my lingerie on the line used all and more of the clothes pins I had.  It was so humid some days that thick items, like jeans, never got dry... so pockets and zipper plackets were damp when brought in off the line.  We are prone to sudden, out of the blue, rain storms and not rarely my line of clothes got re-rinsed.  And everything had to be ironed!  And ironed and ironed... some wrinkles would not press out!  I rationalized that the electricity of ironing was greater than what the dryer was using and  converted back.

I do still like the smell of  sheets dried on the line and do that some.  Also hang out what I hand wash.  The bright Florida sun is good for "natural bleaching" out spots .. really works.  Many communities have rules against clothes line but the little town we live in has a very laissez-faire attitude about most everything.   You know how fine restaurants have jackets for men who are underdressed but want to dine?  Well, when we first moved here a nice local restaurant had a rack of shirts!  Really.  I always wondered how often they were washed.  It IS a beach community, you know :)  No shirt - No shoes - No service !  I have not seen shoes to borrow yet.

I got my Vitamin D test results - normal.  That's good.  I read that we get D from sunlight, food supplements in dairy and cereal, and oily fish.  In northern latitudes the angle of the winter sun makes sunlight inefficient and skin over 70 yrs of age does not convert sun to Vit D well.  Guess you have to think the opposite in the so. hemisphere.

Hope your knee recovers quickly and your pride even faster! 

Pam 

• mandy1313
    mandy1313 Member Posts: 978
    edited October 2009

I love the smell of sun dried clothing.  Unfortunately I live right down town and I think the soot on my clothes would rule out the sunshine benefit.

Alyson, Try some ice on the swelling knee....it won't hurt it and it might help a bit.  So sorry you slipped.

• spar2
    spar2 Member Posts: 3,631
    edited October 2009

Welcome Melissa, what part of Missouri are you going to?  Anywhere near Branson?

Deb, love the pictures of the skunks, my mom has some that have been living under her house, my daughter finally got the animal control that set out traps to catch them.  Hope it works,  sometimes she leaves the back door open and they have come in the house and ate her cat food before but always run out when she come in.

Nas14 hope you have a great trip

Just wanted to stop by and say hi.

• lassie11
    lassie11 Member Posts: 468
    edited October 2009

No Alyson - no snow in my part of Ontario yet. If we get any at this point, it is the kind that doesn't stick so we don't really count that. Until it lands and stays, it's not really winter. There is the threat of some wet snow in a couple of weeks in the long term forecast. A friend who lives much farther north in what is called a "fly in" community will get lots more snow and much earlier than we will.

Our provincial government passed a rule a while ago saying that no municipality or condo or whatever could ban clotheslines so we all are allowed to use them. It never occurred to me not to use it. It depends on my energy level and the weather but certainly I use it for at least some things and my neighbour's use theirs. It only makes sense.

• socallisa
    edited October 2009

We aren't supposed to have clotheslines either, but I hang my

clothes on hangers from the slats on my patio cover..noone has

said anything in 33 years...

• illinoislady
    edited October 2009

I would love to have a clothesline.  I think it does save a lot of money even though you would have to adjust to some ironing....Dh got me one of those ones that only has one pole and a four lines of line going around the top ( hard to explain ) but has never put it up.  Maybe he will one of these days.  I'd probably put out the sheets and towels and blankets....anything that would take time in the dryer.  Growing up no one had a dryer......everyone a clothesline. 

Jackie

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352
    edited October 2009

I'm just so glad its weather for using my dryer. DH has had a fit everytime he's heard it churning away all summer. He doesn't say anything at all in winter, as he knows I'd never get thru all my washing without it.

I don't know, our cost of living is going thru the roof, he blames Global warming on his stance over not using the dryer, but never moans about anything else that'd help the Arctic from melting....its all caused with my dryer being used too much !

I do know that our electricity has gone up 40% in the last 2 years. The petrol/ diesel for our cars has gone up about 30% in the last 12 months, and our heating oil was delivered last week, and is nearly twice what it was last year. I have started to make a bit of an effort to watch what I spend at the supermarket, that's supposed to be up 25% in the last year, as well. All up, up, up ! 

I haven't put the brakes on my clothes spending tho', he he, I love my clothes !! I do admit to lying rather more than usual tho' when DH asks 'Is that new?'...if only he knew, he'd probably have a heart attack. I never use any of 'our' money, its always my own I am blowing !! I can't take it with me, so why should I save it up for my kids to blow ?? In fact I don't intend to leave very much for my kiddos, I am certainly not cutting myself short, just to stash it away to leave for the kids. I have 2 friends, and they are hell bent on seeing who can stack up the biggest pile for their kids, and will not go out anywhere, nor buy any new clothes if the old will do another season.

I don't ever want to get into living like that. I have seen too many young ones get the cash, blow it on a car or holiday, or a new kitchen, which I am quite sure their parents would have loved to have had, only they've gone without all the years 'saving for the kids'. Just not for me, I try and help with lumps of cash when I think they'll appreciate it.Just got 2 g/sons and a g/daughter thru their driving lessons, and helped out with some cash towards a car each, over the last 3 years. Just helped another, younger one, go on a school trip, and am paying for music lessons for another. My kids have a habit of borrowing then forgetting to pay back, that was until I put my foot down and said no about 18 months ago. I am not a bank, and don't mind lending at all as long as they pay me back. They didn't, so their 'credit' was cut off !!

What are your views on leaving cash for the kids ? Or am I being stingy? I never had a penny left from anyone, had to save and work hard for all I have, and its not done me any harm. I put myself thru college, bought and sold properties over the years, always managing to get just that bit better place each time. Sometimes I haven't known where the next mortgage payment was coming from, but always one of us has got out and earned the payment we needed to keep going.  Had a bit of a hiccup 30 years ago when DH no1 and I divorced, but I got the kids, and we made it. DH no2 is like me, has had nothing given, had to work for all he had, so we think alike about leaving all we have worked for to the kids !  

Welcome Melissa, what a pretty name, very fashionable over here at the moment. I have twin god daughters, Melissa and Charlotte, nearly 20 now. 

Anyone heard from Motherof7 yet about her doctors visit on Monday ??

Isabella.

• nas14
    edited October 2009
    I'll give up a lot of things b/4 my clothes dryer. I do miss being able to hang out my sheets, though. I used to have a clothes line outside until the trees all around us grew so much that the line didn't get enough sun everyday anymore. I have 2 lines strung up in our basement for hanging things that can't go into the dryer.
  • pj12
    edited October 2009

Ah, a basement!  They are rare things in Florida.  Would love to have one.  Or an attic!  It gets too hot up top for attics and too wet below for basements.  Maybe that is why I have so much clutter... no where to store stuff :(

Pam 

• Laughjoyfully
    Laughjoyfully Member Posts: 14
    edited October 2009

Hi,

Linda here from Indianapolis, I didn't notice this topic before. 62 today, loving the fall colors.  Hollo everyone -  What a great bunch of 'TOBI"s as BC girls my age call ourselves here.

Linda

• melissa-5-19
    melissa-5-19 Member Posts: 251
    edited October 2009

yes! Missouri! - I forgot that in this club "going to Heaven" could really mean "Going to Heaven"!

dah

• socallisa
    edited October 2009

ok I'll bite..what is TOBI ?

• junie
    junie Member Posts: 784
    edited October 2009

Isabella--I like your thinking regarding leaving kids money.....thank goodness DH and I are on the same page, too.   I think it would be quite nice to leave them all a nice, tidy sum--BUT--as did you, we both worked long and hard and did without and struggled and had no helping hands along the way financially.   We intend to enjoy what we have and can do in our retirement with not one thought that, "oh, we should be saving this for the kids"....When we bought a new boat a few years ago we thought about naming it OUR KIDS' INHERITANCE, but sanity prevailed.   Our economy is harsh with all prices creeping up more than our retirement can keep up and we have been discussing things that we may need to do soon to cut back on some unnecessary expenses.   We have some lively discussions on who's willing to give up what!!!   

• deborye
    deborye Member Posts: 2,441
    edited October 2009

ok I'll bite too, what does TOBI mean?

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited October 2009

I went to an investment seminar and the speaker said that inflation was the lowest it has been in years. So why does everything cost more?   There will be no increase in Social Security next year for the first time in years.   Maybe I come from another planet and my thinking is off base.

Since I am in an apartment, there are no clotheslines allowed on the patio or decks.  Not even allowed to hang swim suits out, but some put them on a lawn chair.   And I have never noticed anyone in the residential areas with clothes hanging out - maybe an ordinance against it.  

And I have NO idea what TOBI means.

• Gramof3
    Gramof3 Member Posts: 111
    edited October 2009

Welcome, Melissa--I'm a "Show Me" gal, too.  I live in Springfield, but when I retire (can't be soon enough for me!), I'll move back to Jeff City where my kids and grands are.

Chooks  Beware the flu!!!  I was home a full week, and probably still went back to work too early. Wow, it knocked my socks off.  Feeling better, but awfully weak.

I'm waiting to hear from Motherof7, too...maybe we'll hear something tomorrow. 

I'm so excited--I have eyebrows!  And little tiny sideburns and lashes coming in.  Unfortunately, the cowlicks that stuck out in every single grade school picture were not altered by chemo or radiation.  Sigh...

Have a good evening, Chooks...And I'd like to know about TOBI, too..Is he related to NED??