Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,279
    edited November 2009

Roseann.....that was my sisters name.  I'm with Mandy.....she is right as the best way of losing wt. is to get more heart healthy ( that is fruits and vegetables and whole grain ) into your diet.  Lots of fiber.  Not too much meat ...... lean when you eat it -- chicken, fish turkey etc. 

Still....a birthday is a birthday and I say one day does not a diet make.  Have your day and your cake and don't worry about the wt. then.  There are days just made for cheating.....birthdays are one of them.  Good, healthy diets ( I'd prefer to call it rather than a diet -- healthy eating change ) should really be for life so you do need a little wiggle room. 

Hugs, Jackie

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited November 2009

Good Monday morning..

I am off to play "old ladies doubles" tennis...that is where if the ball

comes close we hit it and if it doesn't we say "great shot"..lol

but we do get in some exercise..

• spar2
    spar2 Member Posts: 3,631
    edited November 2009

I feel better after reading all of your post.  I often wonder how kids raised in the same household can be so different.  My brother was in trouble and an alcoholic all his life from a very young age, used drugs, had hep C and died at 40.  I tended to be a bookworm, had no idea drugs were even in our school, he had one child but was not a good father, too messed up.  I have 2 kids that are grown and responsible.  Had a little trouble during the teen years.  Now he is having trouble with his teenage son but things are very slowly getting better.  The other 2 grandkids are too young for trouble yet and pray they completely miss old man trouble.

Illinois lady my name here  I wish was sparkel too but it actually is the fist initial and beinning of my last name and spar mean fight and I wanted to fight this disease to spar2.

I love Maxine, her sarcastic sense of humor.  Hope you guys have a really great day.

View Image

• kmccraw423
    kmccraw423 Member Posts: 885
    edited November 2009

If that is true - I am going to stop dying my hair!

• illinoislady
    edited November 2009

I'm in line behind you Kathleen.

Jackie

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited November 2009

Does anyone play the lottery?  I used to buy a ticket every week but gave up pretty quickly when I did not win.  Now Florida has a mega lottery... someone just won $145 million!  That's too much to make you happy.  Better to give 145 people $1 million each.  I could handle that.  Of course money cannot buy good health and we all know how precious that is.  What three wishes would I make to a genie?  Would I ask for my cancer history to all be a bad dream?  I'd like to but should I ask that my daughter and granddaughter not have to experience BC instead?  I would probably wishy-wash around so long the genie would get mad and  leave.  I would wish for peace on earth but that would probably be too hard.  I did wish for no recurrence when I blew out my birthday candles recently.  Hope it works.

Good evening to all.  Hope everyone is doing well, not too many aches and pains, no family problems, and a winning lottery ticket to everyone!

pam 

• illinoislady
    edited November 2009

Ok...I went to Marion today and had an Oncology appt.  They switched me off to a P.A. who was quite capable I think but it still sort of took me by surprise.  Don't know where the other Dr. was.  She was ( in checking with her I found it had never happened ) going to try and phone down to the lab in hopes they still have some of the blood they took and order a Vitamin D test.  I think I may have to call the satellite office of the V.A. on Wednesday and see if they can give me any information.  If this does not get done....she willl have a standing order that in the very next blood test I take it be included. 

So, I still don't know much more.  She did tell me that all my blood values were in normal ranges and that the tumor markers have gone down to 14.  They apparently started somewhere around 18.  Sounded good to me. 

My impression - in very general fashion is that most Dr'.s seem willing enough to have this test done -- though my male Oncologist kept forgetting to order it so I'm sure there is something to it.  My husband had it done recently and I guess his figures were fine....so who knows, mine may be better than I think. 

Hope you all had a great Monday.

Hugs, Jackie

we were posting at the same time and I just wanted to thank you for my ticket Pam. 

• pj12
    edited November 2009

Good luck, Jackie.  I hope it is a winner, just $1 million, not the biggie. :)

I am still getting used to the PA thing.  They do seem quite competent and often talk more than the MDs.  But it is a change.  When the radiologist told me I needed to have some moles checked I made an appt with a  dermatologist.  When I got there only a PA was seeing patients.  She checked my moles and said 2 were suspicious and should be removed.  I asked them to bring my husband back so I could tell him what was going on.  Well, he, politely, made it plain he did not want the PA "operating" on me.  Awkward moment, to say the least.  It turned out for the best as I ended up back with my cancer surgeon and it was a bit more complicated than expected to get good margins - took 2 "operations" and he treated it quite seriously.

But with medicare (I don't have it yet) cuts I think the PAs will be more common.  Anything to save money :)  I am continuously amazed at how much every little thing costs.  After paying for insurance for 20 years (since I stopped working) and whining about it... I am now embarrassed at how much my care is costing the insurance company.  Need to write them a thank you note :)

Pam 

• kmccraw423
    edited November 2009

P.A.s seem to be all the rage now - they even list their names on the door right along side the doctors!  Maybe it is just as good as seeing the doctor.  Having said that I think that whoever you talk to should tell you it is with the P.A. and not the doctor.

Jackie and Pam - the lottery cuts the winnings in half if you take cash and Uncle Sam takes his cut ( probably close to another 50%) and maybe out of a $1 million you would take home $250,000.

Pam - good for your husband!

My PCP ordered the vitamin D test without even mentioning it - found it to be low.

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited November 2009

Maybe it's me, but I want a real doctor, not a PA when I go.   My insurance costs me a LOT and if I did not have it, would I still be given a PA?   I think that years of medical school and then speciality training give me a better chance of anything serious getting diagnosed.   I want the best, the most informed, trained and knowledgeable person to check me over.   Just MY opinion.    

• illinoislady
    edited November 2009

I see a P.A. at the V.A. satellite office.  I think the one I saw yesterday was quite good but then we were really directed toward specifically cancer tx and issues.  At Mt. Vernon ( satellite office ) I am being seen in general and any medical issues are addressed.  I know these people go through really rigorous training to do this.....and I'm ok with it ---  and really expect that if a BIG issue came up the P.A. would suddenly have a lot of medical personnel ( other Dr.'s looking over the shoulder ).  I think Pam is right though.....it is the wave of the future.  There is a price for progress to some degree.  I understand how you feel though Nancy.  Since I have no Ins. and only fortunate that I can use the V.A. I am subject to the guidelines of their care.......and it has been good.  They send me out many times and I had an extremely competent surgeon who saved my life....found a second much bigger tumor in same operative breast that didn't show til' she was mid-operation.  I can't complain.....my care so far as seemed top-notch to me even if I have had to try and get used to PA's. 

I'll be checking in later.

Jackie

• lassie11
    lassie11 Member Posts: 468
    edited November 2009

What is a P.A.?

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited November 2009

PA = Physicians assistant.   CNP = Certified Nurse Practioner.   Both NOT doctors.   

• pj12
    edited November 2009

Kathleen,

Are you in a northern state?  Just curious if that makes a difference re: Vitamin D.  

Pam 

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352
    edited November 2009

A miracle has happened at my house !!  My bins have been emptied.

Sounds a little thing, but the pile in my yard has been festering 9 weeks now, it was as big as a mediun sized car ! Our bin men have decided that they will hold us all to ransom while they argue over pay and conditions. Our Town Hall have decided to put their collective feet on the bin men, and rightly so. The bin men worked a certain round each day, rushed it (you should see the streets when they have just been!!)  and were tootling off home at 2pm. They were supposed to work 'til 5pm. The Town Hall decided they should do a proper job, and start other rounds until 5 pm....thus working the hours they take the pay for. We have had strange contractors around the town picking up the rubbish, and they are to continue until the bin men do as they are told. Yea from me !!!

This morning I heard a honking at my gate, and went to see who it was. I met them with 'are you the knacker man' They burst into peals of laughter, and guffawed their way thru my pile of rubbish.

Thinking they were the knacker man takes me to a horrible night DH and I just had.

At 5 pm, one of our cows had a calf, no problem, all straightforward. She was checked again at 7 before we came in, and again at 9.30 as DH went out to the pub...still AOK. At midnight there was a real racket outside, DH shouting his head off, and throwing pebbles at my window. I went down, and he was very upset, the cow was down and looked as if she had had a prolapse. I went and got my grubbies on, and looked closer. I could see what looked like intestines, and they certainly shouldn't have been there. Called vet out, who took an hour to come. He tried and tried to put all back inside the cow, the uterus had split, turned inside out and out had started to come the poor cows innards. I think if we could have got the cows back legs in the air we may have had a chance, but there we were, DH bandaged up from his Carpal Tunnel surgery, me wobbling about from my sleeping tablet, and the vet who really was trying....in the end it was down to me to make the decision, DH was so upset, it was one of his favourite cows, so I had to say to the vet 'stop now, and put her down' DH went in the house  (thankyou very much!!) and left me to help with the dirty deed. I was expecting the cow to be shot, but we had to set up a drip, and wait 4/5 minutes for it to work. What a night....I got back to bed just before 4 am, so am not worth a light today.

Now we are left with a little orphan calf, I am trying not to get involved, but I have fed her twice, so it looks like it will be falling to me to sort her out. so....here I am waiting for the knacker man to come and take the cows body away...life ...and death !! SOOOO close together.

Isabella.

• pj12
    edited November 2009

What a terrible night, Isabella!  It sounds like an episode from All Creatures Great and Small... I think I would rather watch it on PBS than live it.  Too painful.

Good luck with the baby and God bless you for taking care of it.

Pam 

• lassie11
    edited November 2009

I think Isabella lives the most exciting life of all of us!

My big excitement today was doing a bit of garden clean up while the cleaning service did their thing inside. The two women were pleased when I gave them some echinachea stalks for seed - the world's most labour free flowers. Later I will enjoy this sunny fall day when I walk to pick up my grandson (he's in my avatar) from school.

Is a knacker man the garbage collector?

• pj12
    edited November 2009

H i Leslie,

I was the cleaning crew inside and out today.  DD and grandson are flying in tonight so I had to get our "guest house" ready.  It is really just one large room and bath and closet - kind of like a motel room - but it is a separate cottage and affords company and us some privacy.  DH built it as the children and grandchildren grew in number.  We do well with the grands in the house but sometimes it is nice to have a break from their parents (our chlldren) !  Anyway, it is amazing how dusty and dirty an unoccupied space can get.  Lots of little spider webs in corners.  

I think I am finally getting some pep back.  I am 8 months post DX and have had little energy for house or yard work until just recently.  But I have been on a mission the last few weeks with many trips to the nearby thrift shop to donate odds and ends.  My mom passed away 10 years ago and I am only just now able to get rid of her knick-knacks that were cluttering up with my knickknacks.  I know she is turning over in her grave but I just could not keep everything forever. My sister is in So. California and she would and does take everything but some stuff it just is not worth mailing. Hope I can keep up this mood until some windows get washed!

It's still plenty warm in Florida for garden work.  At least the weeds have slowed down a bit.  All summer it is a race to see if weeds or grass can take over flower beds first. 

I hope everyone is enjoying a beautiful fall day and no cancer worries!

pam 

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited November 2009

Pam, I'd love to be able to walk on the beach after Thanksgiving dinner.  Wow!  Are you on the east coast or the gulf side?   We head down to Fort Myers Beach for a few weeks in February.  I would like it to be longer, but that's about all that I can handle.  Dave is still working so I come with a "long time friend" and we enjoy our time away.  Much longer and I'd be feeling pretty guilty leaving him in the cold climate, working everyday and babysitting the cats while I cash in on the sun!

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352
    edited November 2009

Leslie. The knacker man is the man who has the dreadful job of going round the farms and stables and carting away the bodies. Luckily we don't see him at all often, and don't want to.

We often say over here 'I'm knackered' meaning I'm dead beat, or 'my car is knackered' meaning its ready to be scrapped.

Isabella.

• illinoislady
    edited November 2009

Isabella -- you are one tough lady that is for sure.  You are a real dear for tending to the infant.  I hope she makes it, but you wonder.....I do think it's not as ideal....every baby I feel does best with its own mother, but some things just aren't to be I guess.  I do hope for you and the baby it all turns out ok. Feel sorry for the mom cow, but she is at peace. 

You do live quite the life Isabella.  I'm not at all sure I could keep up.....in fact, I think half a day might be my limit. 

Pam it is difficult to let totally go for a long time of the things our mothers had.  I have a few of my moms things going into the auction now.  I too kept way too much.....it seemed for a long time sort of disrespectful --- even though I sent a truckload to my daughter in California back then I just had trouble at the thought of something Mom had going directly to GoodWill or some place like that.  She had a lot of nice clothes....all laundered - no stains.  I took them to Good Will as they were not my size and found out later they went to the rag bag section.  So, I am not as quick to send things there now.  I take it to other places where it actually gets on the rack or the floor. 

Was a beautiful day here......I'm hoping for more.

Jackie 

• melissa-5-19
    melissa-5-19 Member Posts: 251
    edited November 2009

Well I love learning the slang Isabell offers up- I can share it with a select few and have a great time with it.

Linda your posting about TG just made me cry for you. I know, it has been days since it was posted but I simply could not reply sooner- tired and heart broken and you need to know we (Americans) are not all like your in-laws.! I have memories of my mother inviting someone we have never met simply because she had just discovered that this new person was alone in St Louis - no other requirement  needed. We all, 5 little girls and one drunk dad, accepted the person or persons and had a wonderful time of it. Come to think of it, they (guest) never helped with dishes or brought a dish to share. That explains why I thought nothing of cooking my first turkey for 28 GI's since I was the only GI wife (in our age group). All I can say is my mother-in-law would get on well with yours so I just do like you do- spend little time with her!

QuestionAnyone out there with more time under their belt on this Bil-mx thing, Can you remember how long it takes to feel normal- the chest it's self, the skin etc? I have these little fluffies , you know my new boobs (for a while) that feel as if they weigh 20 pounds each! Or do we just learn to get distracted and not think about it? FYI no recon in my future! too many surgeries for my taste.

• hrf
    hrf Member Posts: 706
    edited November 2009

Melissa, I had my bmx at the end of Feb. I still don't know how long it will take to feel normal because I don't

I am hoping to do recon next year but it's a long way off still.

• spar2
    spar2 Member Posts: 3,631
    edited November 2009

I like to learn the slang or language too.

I would have the cow that had to be put down in my freezer.

hrf, I had mastectomy in 2004 and still don't feel normal, had reconstruction in 2007 and felt a little more normal but still not real normal just a new normal.  Does that make any sense?

If I was closer I would help take care of the baby calf and feed it with the bottle, they are so sweet and cute.

It was a really beautiful day here also, had to go to the city but when we got home sat out on the deck to soak up some vit d and watch my cats play.

Hope you all have a great week.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,088
    edited November 2009

Melissa, as indicated at the end of my posts, I had my BMX w/reconstruction in late July.  I'm becoming comfortable with my "new normal."  I figure I'll forget what the "old normal" was like after a few years pass.  I'm back to playing golf.  For the first time since my surgery, today I walked 18 holes and was tired at the end of the round.  I'm also back to doing weight workouts with hand weights and several times a week I walk 3 miles. 

Give yourself some time.  You'll adjust.

• melissa-5-19
    melissa-5-19 Member Posts: 251
    edited November 2009

it is not the perception but the actual  physical feelings of the chesh skin. I am impressed and will be patient I was just wondering if the physical chest would feel normal.......I may not be communicating well.

Carol you are a wonder and spar I would take shifts with you feeding that calf- it would be a great way to spend some of this time on my hands, not to mention just plain fun!

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited November 2009

It is very interesting that I understand the terms Isabella uses.I wondered how many would know the term 'knackered'.

NZ English is actually much closer to modern English than US English which is based on a much earlier form. Most Australians and NZers are 'bilingual' in that is we understand English terms as well as American ones as we use a mixture of both. There have been a couple of occasions when I have been quite shocked by terms people have used but knew that it was just US English. Here the term 'fanny' is not used, in fact it is very rude so there have been lots very funny incidents when Americans have used it not realising what they have said.

I don't think one ever gets back to normal, there is a new normal which one becomes accustomed to, it all takes time and it differs for each person. 

Must get some meat out for dinner as my GD will be here in a minute - we are having her for a few hours while her mother is at choir practice.

Isabella, do you have fireworks night?

Have a great week.

• illinoislady
    edited November 2009

I figured out what Isabella meant by the work knacker by things she said a bit later.  I think I learned to watch for what the paragraphs said where the words were used.  My first husband had lots of Canadian family members.....and they use different words for lots of things, so it became a bit of a habit to me to see how a word I did not understand might relate to the rest of a paragraph.  I think I might have been able to do something like that though long before I "acquired" Canadian relatives.  Don't know whether having an early reading ability had anything to do with it or not.  This probably might not work all the time, but it helps a great deal most of the time.

Melissa, I think Alyson has it pretty close.  Having a large section of your body removed will probably always produce sensations.  Several years ago now I had a growth, nodule, cyst, ( funny, I don't recall the term the surgeon used ) removed from  the left side of my catrotid artery a couple inches below my ear.  I can still feel a strange tightness there and the tissue in that area does not feel as supple or that it has near the elasticity as the other side.  I have learned that it is ok....but there is an awareness most of my waking hours that thankfully is not so strong that it interferes with the things I want and need to do. 

Beautiful sunny day here though it won't get too warm -- 55 or 60 if we are lucky. Leaves are still falling but they have slowed considerably.  Means we still have many hours of leaf clean-up as yet.   Hope we don't get too big a weather down-turn before we can get to all this. 

I'll be checking in with everyone a bit later.

Jackie

• lassie11
    edited November 2009

It is interesting how words are used differently in various English speaking countries. I knew knackered had to do with being tired, but didn't catch the "dead" part of it.

When we had an Australian exchange person here a few years ago, he was quite shocked that the first thing they saw when they got off the airplane was a woman with a sweatshirt (he called it a jumper) that said "Roots" after the clothing line. Apparently that word is quite rude in Australia and people wouldn't wear it on a shirt.

In the last two summers I had two sets of English second cousins come to visit (found them on the internet!). Each time we had fun with words and accents. Before he arrived, I talked with the first one on webcam with my grandson who was just turned four. My cousin very much enjoyed the Canadian accent on the little one. I said we don't have an accent - he does. When I go there, I will have the accent.

• kmccraw423
    edited November 2009

Pam - I am located in Northern Virginia, Loudoun County.  Since this whole bc thing came up it is amazing what I've learned - I am anemic, have Vitamin D deficiency, may have gout and a couple years befoe learned I had carpal tunnel syndrome!  Who knew!!!!!

Isabella - so sorry about DH's favorite cow - since I am a vegetarian I love cows for different reasons than most people (as pets, not food).  A calf is so sweet - can you get another cow to "adopt" this baby?

Leslie - when I was briefly in London I found that after 3 or 4 days I wanted to shout stop talking with an accent!  I guess if I had stayed longer I would have acquired one!

To all my "life experienced" friends - have a great day!