Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Comments

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,472
    edited January 2010

You can buy Biotene toothpaste and mouthwash at almost any drugstore or Walmart in the U.S. They were recommeded to me by my dentist when I was doing chemo. I liked the mouthwash so much that I still use it (the toothpaste not so much). It's the Boniva and other bone building drugs that can screw up your jaw, not Armidex. To make my life easier I bought one of those little 7 day pill holders, and every Saturday night I put an Armidex in for each day of the week. That way I have less chance of spilling the priceless jewels all over, and can also look to see if I already took it (or not); on the days I can't remember if I did (or didn't). !!

• mersmom
    mersmom Member Posts: 79
    edited January 2010

My dentist gave me some of the Biotene products and they have really helped with the dry mouth. He also gave me a flouride treeatment and because I have several caps and crowns he had me get trays made and sold me a flouride product to do the treatments at home. Reasoning behind it was dry mouth can cause problems around bridge and crown work. Between the RADS and Arimidex my mouth and the rest of the old body is bone dry.Of course,you all know that.

My skin has always been extremely oily and is now dry and flakey. Lots of moisturerizing lotions and oils at this house.

Blessings to all.

Teresa

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited January 2010

Melinda - what do you eat?  Seriously, no wheat, wheat gluten, soy - they are in everything!  I think we should all pool our cash (I have $5.), buy a farm so we can grow/raise our own.  Oh no, that's work.  <  sigh  >  Very frustrating. 

I see my med onc next month and will see if he has researched Vit D.  Last time I saw him and mentioned checking my D levels he acted as though I was talking Finnish!

• sue-61
    sue-61 Member Posts: 262
    edited January 2010

Wow, I am at a loss as to all this Vit D stuff. My pcp ordered the testing, not that BS or the onc. and mine was only 19. That is low! I am outside all summer and people usually yell at me because I have a tan. In the winter, not so much. My pcp put me on 2000 IU/day for a month and then told me to cut back to 1000 IU. I go to Dana Farber and asked the onc about Vit D and he said 1000 is enough. Plan to talk to PCP next visit. My understanding is that we need VitD to help absorb the calcium. So many different treatment options on this site. Kind of boggles my mind. But a good way to learn something new every day! Sue

• mersmom
    edited January 2010

Attention  LAKEWOMAN

The magic potion has arrivred !!!!!! Husband in D.C. on business...due home Friday evening.I do not think I will let him know I received it and surprise him.  I will report back on Saturday.

Thanks again for the info.

Teresa

• vnelson
    vnelson Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2010

Hi guys,

I am wondering how all are paying for their Arimidex since it is so expensive. I had one rep from AZ tell me 1/4/10 that I qualified for their program and they would send the Arimidex to me. Today, I had another one call and said there was a mistake - that I did not qualify for the program. Talk about bursting my bubble!!! When I asked why she said I had not paid 3% of my yearly household income in for prescription drugs. I said good grief it is only the 7th of the month - of course I haven't. So now I have to apply again after I have paid the 3% in which should fall around July or August if I pay for all my meds and not turn in any on my insurance. Please share how you overcame this expense. 

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited January 2010

I am whining and weeping a lot.  Cry

pam 

• patoo
    edited January 2010

Vnelson, sorry you are experiencing that.  My company med plan includes prescriptions and so I'm very blessed that I only pay $40.00 for a 90 day supply.  Seems sisters on this board are evenly divided that some are like me and get them through a reasonable drug plan and others are in the same situation as you and have to pay out of pocket.  That just really stinks.

JO, you're right - I think I had heard also that you can overdose on D.  Of course since my med onc looked at me cross-eyed when I mentioned Vit D he won't be of much help.  I think I will stay with you and not take any mega doses unless and until I know I need it.

Co-worker made another co-worker a gluten-free cake and said it was really good.  Only problem was it stuck, I mean really stuck, to her cake pan LOL.  Had to pry it out.

• molly52
    molly52 Member Posts: 142
    edited January 2010

Sorry to bother you with Canadian stuff, but it's what I know most.

Below is part of a pronouncement? by the Canadian Cancer Society - about Vitamin D08 June 2007
    TORONTO -

The Canadian Cancer Society is recommending a specific amount of Vitamin D supplementation for Canadians to consider taking. This first-time recommendation is based on the growing body of evidence about the link between Vitamin D and reducing risk for colorectal, breast and prostate cancers.

"The evidence is still growing in this area, but we want to give guidance to Canadians about this emerging area of cancer prevention based on what we know now," says Heather Logan, Director, Cancer Control Policy, Canadian Cancer Society. "As we find out more we will update our recommendation."

In consultation with their healthcare provider, the Society is recommending that:

* Adults living in Canada should consider taking Vitamin D supplementation of 1,000 international units (IU) a day during the fall and winter.
    Adults at higher risk of having lower Vitamin D levels should consider taking Vitamin D supplementation of 1,000 IU/day all year round. This includes people:

who are older;
    with dark skin;
    who don't go outside often, and
    who wear clothing that covers most of their skin.

"We're recommending 1,000 IUs daily because the current evidence suggests this amount will help reduce cancer risk with the least potential for harm," says Logan. "More research is needed to clearly define the amount of Vitamin D that will maximize health benefits."

Logan explains that Canada's geographic location was a strong factor in the Society's decision making about the recommendation.   .......

there is more - if you are interested in the remainder, I will find the link - it might help with the doctors who don't understand.

JO - I have a question ---- after you quit the Arimidex did you have withdrawl symptoms???  I have 11 months to go and was wondering.

• patoo
    edited January 2010

Thanks Molly, I only get about 500 of D and 400 of D3 a day.  I fall in each of the 4 categories you list:  older, dark skin, don't stay outside much and clothes cover most of my skin <sigh>.  Still I think I will hold off, or maybe change to the D3 by itself instead of being combined with my calcium and multivitamin.  Whatever...

• casaredonda
    casaredonda Member Posts: 21
    edited January 2010

Hello everyone,

I just ordered arimidex from Canada, 170 for 3 months worth.  We gave up our cobra coverage as it was no longer affordable and I have to many assets for the county health program.  When I had the coverage, we paid 40 for 30 day supply.  I also e-mailed the president asking about any planned restrictions on getting medications from Canada.  I did request an answer on that question.  I also reminded him that we can't wait 4 years for the new health reform which will make pre-existing conditions not an issue for affordable insurance.  I have 3 more years on Arimidex and that last stressor I need is the feds interfering more and helping less.

I have a low paying job and I'm waiting for benefits to be approved, hopefully at the end of this month.  I work for a poor county in a broke state, so it's a guessing game.

When I have benefits, I'll get the onco office to order a Vit D level test.  I don't spend too much time in the sun cause of some skin cancer in the past.  I take 4000 IUs each day.  The average daily requirement used to be 400 IU per day but recent research has shown that it's not enough and some people have found the using high doses is great at reversing or preventing bone loss.

The weekend is soon upon us yippeeee...

take good care all of you

• mersmom
    edited January 2010

Jo

I read your earlier post concerning mailing presciptions through the mail. No,it is not illegal...lots of people receive meds through the mail. Many insurance company offer programs for their subscibers to help save them money. My mom has hers mailed to her home because she doesnot like driving to the other side of town ro get Walmarts prices. (she is 85 and her eyes are failing so I am very happy that she drives as little as possible)

However,in most states it is illegal to give prescription medication to someone other than the person the script was written for.

I will send you a private message also.

Teresa

• otter
    otter Member Posts: 757
    edited January 2010

IMHO, Teresa is correct with respect to filling prescriptions by mail-order (perfectly legal), as well as the issue of giving your prescription drugs to someone else (not legal).

otter 

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited January 2010

My med onc checked my Vitamin D last visit.  It was 50+/- if  I recall correctly.  My onc said she had not had a single person come back low since she started doing it routinely.  Living in Florida has its benefits.

pam 

• molly52
    molly52 Member Posts: 142
    edited January 2010

Patoo -  is your weather is pretty much the same as our weather here in Toronto?  Do you get winter and snow?  It's our Canadian climate (long winter and tons of snow) here that makes them suggest the higher amount of Vitamin D.

Sunflower - Now you know of one person whose D levels are fine.   I have been taking the 1,500 Calcium and 1,000 Vitamin D for the four years I have been on Arimidex - Bone scan continues to be okay - so I guess it is working.

• Welga
    Welga Member Posts: 88
    edited January 2010

prssnprss
    I have upped my vit D to 2000mg, what scare my a little is side effects: dry mouth, thirst, I already suffer from this.

I'm going to try the Biotine for dry mouth, cannot use the toothpaste as I have to use sensodyne.

JO-5

Sulindac, never heard of it but will look it up, I know I am allergic to Advil so will have to see if the composition is similar, great to know there is somthing else out there. I'll try to see if it's available in Canada.

Also I'd love to go on gluten free. I've looked out and breads (where I live) are rice. Cannot too constipated already. The pasta are soo expensive. I might give it a try anyway, have been thinking about this for a long time.

You girls are full of great advice, thanks for this forum

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,381
    edited January 2010

Biotene now makes a sensitive toothpaste as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Biotene-Sensitive-Toothpaste-Cavity-Protection/dp/B000OEPT94 

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,078
    edited January 2010

My D level was normal, too, like Pam's.  ButI take some extra D3 and have started taking magnesium upon the recommendation of some ladies on this thread.  I do think you have to be careful not to take too much D.  It's ridiculous how many pills I'm taking in the morning, only 5 of them prescription and the rest supplements.  I have to take tiny sips of my 4 ounces of cherry juice in order to get them all down!  Is anyone else sticking with the cherry juice? 

It was too cold to walk in the neighborhood today because the north wind was blowing.  I miss my exercise. 

So much interesting input on this thread.  I pay $35 for a month's supply of the little white pills. 

A good Friday to all.

• patoo
    edited January 2010

Molly, I'm about a 12 hour drive south of you but yes, we do get cold (right now it's about 18 degrees F and dropping) and snow Nov-March.

Carolehalston, I re-introduced the cherry juice this week and will keep it up.  I've been using the concentrated mixed with water but I think I will also go back to mixing it with tonic water forthose benefits from leg cramps. 

Going to sign out early tonight.  Friday is my "wiped out" night and I'm really feeling it - tired.  Enjoy your evening and weekend ladies.

• lakewoman
    lakewoman Member Posts: 221
    edited January 2010

JUST WANTED TO PUT SOMETHING OUT THERE THAT oops maybe you all know but even as nurse I did not .Onc told me never to take 2 calcium pills together...the body cannot absorb that much,, I take one 600 mg with D in a.m. and one in evening> any thoughs?

• patoo
    edited January 2010

Hi Sharlene, I do that just as a matter of course.  If the serving size is 2 pills I will take one in the morning and one at night.  If it were 3 I would take 1 in the morning and 2 at night,  Taking so many at one time was just too much.  So I do the same for my gluco/chond - 1 in am and 1 in pm.  I take my multi-vit in am but my fish oil in pm. 

At least this way I get some variety in my life LOL.

Thanks for sharing.

• mersmom
    edited January 2010

Sharlene,

You are to be commended on your recent research project. It is so wonderful to feel like a wife and lover again. Many thanks.My husband actually cried...he is very happy to have his "bed buddy" back.   Ladies I know there are many of you that really don"t care if that lost sex life is found,but for those who do this could be your ticket to the dance.

I had a problem with the extra D3 that the Dr. advised me to take. (digestive distress). Could it be that I was taking it with all the rest of my supplements?

Thanks again

Teresa

• prssnprss
    prssnprss Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2010

Hey gals,

All of you have great comments and make some good points. Here is a link for the report about the limited trial with vitamin D. They gave women 50,000 IU/week for 8-16 weeks.

SAN ANTONIO -- High-dose vitamin D significantly reduced muscle and joint pain in breast cancer patients treated with the aromatase inhibitor anastrozole (Arimidex), results of a small, randomized clinical trial showed.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/SABCS/17546 

Although my oncologist stays pretty caught up with the latest info., he didn't know about this study. When I told him my experience, he researched it and was excited to find another tool to use in treating his patients for side effects with aromatase inhibitors.

Most primary care physicians are not well versed on "survivorship" issues, such as quality of life and managing side effects from cancer or treatment. You really have to be your own advocate and ask questions.

I attended a cancer survivorship seminar at my local hospital and found the talks by the naturopathic physican to be very informative. They supplement the cancer patient's conventional treatment with complementary medicine, counseling on nutrition, exercise, lifestyle, nutrient supplementation, acupuncture, biofeedback, etc. I collected a lot of handouts and am catching up on reading!

I've recently heard some information about gluten, as well. I've never had any digestive issues, but apparently it can cause inflammation throughout the body, including joints. I admire anyone who can completely cut it out. I think I love bread too much! 

I have also heard that you should take calcium and vitamin D at a different time from taking the Arimidex, as it inhibits absorption . . . which is of course why you need to take supplements! 

Thank you all . . . don't you just love this site? Whenever you have a question, you know that you can come here and someone will listen and answer you!

Hugs,

Melinda 

• jmp
    jmp Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2010

Hi, I too am stage IV, lumpectomy, radiation, chemo when I just turned 40, recurrence 2 1/2 yrs ago.  Pleural effusion, hosp. 1 wk, and have been taking arimidex since.  So far, so good.  But living with the uncertainty isn't easy.  Do blood work every 2 mos. or less, depending on the results.  And I turn 60 on 1/13/10 and hopefully my arimidex will continue to work.  My doc said I was stage IV because I was recurrent.  Is that the case with anyone else here?  I don't often find many with this same staging. 

• patoo
    edited January 2010

Hi JMP, sorry to see you back after being orig dx 20 years ago - but you are a long term survivor - YAY!  I'm going to step out here and say that if your doc says you are Stage IV then it should be okay for you to browse and maybe post your question on the Stage IV board.  Not to say you are not welcome here anytime as well esp since you are an 'Arimidexian' like us.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,472
    edited January 2010

I like to take VIACTIV Calcium plus D chews instead of  calcium pills, because it is like eating candy (and I like to eat candySmile); they comes in milk chocolate, mint, carmel flavors (and once I found a box mocha). The box says take two a day; but I take three, one in the morning (same time as the armidex, so maybe I will have to adjust that, how far apart should the timing be?), once after work & once before I go to bed. Patoo, I decided against the fish oil; it made me feel queasy, and when I looked it up on the Mayo Clinic website, they say it can raise your bad cholestrol. Since my cholestrol is already on the high side, I don't want to mess with it. I have resolved to eat two serving of fish a week (and not more than two servings of red meat). We'll see how that goes. Is there a 'trying to eat a healthy diet' thread?

• Welga
    Welga Member Posts: 88
    edited January 2010
    wallycat
    Biotine with a toothpaste for sensitive theet,I didn't know about this, good then I can switch, did not see it in my pharmacy but will ask them to order.

JO-5,
    Clinoril, noted, you are right, when they mention anti-inflamatory, all descriptions are the same, I'll follow your advice and try this one.

By the way, prunes seem to help with hip pains, they have almost disapeard, like 80%, so I will keep on taking them. I was taking it for bone loss but this is a bonus.

About supplements, from what I read we should space them during the day, not take them all together for better absorption.
    I take Femara alone, an hour or more after any meds or meal, I'm too scared that a meal or a supplement would lessen de degree of efficacity. Altough a little less efficacity could mean less joint pains.....

• patoo
    edited January 2010

<  sigh  >  Just like BC tx, this is all so individualized.  I guess you cannot know what will work for you until you try.  And if you ask 15 med oncs you will get 19 different answers!  I do think I will split off my Arimidex cocktail from the supplements.  Maybe I should just lay out my daily meds in a row somewhere and pick up one each time I pass?

• otter
    otter Member Posts: 757
    edited January 2010

patoo, just be sure you set them out in the "correct" order!

Someone mentioned something somewhere about other meds interfering with the absorption [or was it the metabolism] of one of the AI's -- maybe Arimidex?  I swear, I'm really not that drifty -- I just wasn't paying attention.  Anyway, does anyone have any more information about that, like websites or papers?

otter

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,078
    edited January 2010

Every now and then I accidentally do something right/good!!  I take my little white pill at night with no other meds or supplements.  Do take a melatonin tablet that works wonderfully for helping me sleep through the night.  I have weird dreams but I had those when I was taking benedryl as a sleep aid.  Dh takes the melatonin, too.  It helps him go back to sleep when he happens to wake up.  Nothing more maddening than lying in bed in the middle of the night wishing you could go back to sleep.

I'm wondering if the Arimidex is really working for those of us who don't suffer much taking it.

Ruthbru, thanks for mentioning the Mayo Clinic's comments about fish oil and LDL.  I'll check that out.  The fish oil caps have never bothered me.  I've always taken them in the middle of a meal.  I really like fish and often order a fish entree when we eat out, but including fish in our home meals just isn't easy.  Aside from catfish and talapia filets, which are readily available at our supermarkets, I feel that I have to make a trip to a good fish market to get other kinds of fish like grouper or red fish, always very pricey.  Dh isn't crazy about salmon, which I like.  It mostly boils down to having more experience with cooking meat than fish.  A good 2010 goal--cook more fish at home.