Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Comments

• balsie
    balsie Member Posts: 228
    edited January 2010

somanywoman~  Just get up tomorrow and take it...I did and am not having a hard time at all.  I take it in the morning on an empty stomach and I guess you are suppose to stay up for at least an hour after taking it. I also make sure that I walk on the treadmill or outside for a least 2o minutes. 

Good Luck

Balsie~

• somanywomen
    somanywomen Member Posts: 82
    edited January 2010

Thanks balsie, I know, I just have to do it!!!...Why do you take it on an empty stomach?..Does it make you nauseous, how long before you can eat?...I usually drink coffee in the morning about an hour before I eat, would this be a good time???

• somanywomen
    edited January 2010

Thanks to all, I think the nurse told me to start take in evening to start...Then I could switch to morning later...I have had problems with leg aches that can keep me up and thought this might make them worse...I am taking bone strength supplements in evening that seem to have helped this...

Believe me I will take it!!!...I have been very proactive with total change of what goes in my body and goes on my body...I have ordered some wonderful books as to the anti-cancer foods and check all ingredients of everything I bring into my house..from make-up to laundry detergent....Eating mostly veges, fruits, lots tumeric/pepper etc....Have given up any red meat and most other meats except for seafood and fish....so I will do this also, I will start on a day that I can give my full attention to notice se's.....maybe tomorrow......

As with my wonderful December Rads group, I can always count on help from all of you getting through this one day at a time....thank you sooooooo much!!!!

• Lowrider54
    Lowrider54 Member Posts: 333
    edited January 2010

Hello Jo and Everyone!

Love your famous line, Jo! 

This thread scared me when I first started reading as I was just beginning the Arimidex.  The first month was filled with night sweats something terrible - before the potty, I was changing my shirt.  Then a bit of joint pain but also mets pain in the spine - added pain meds to the mix along with calcium plus D, potasium and magnesium.  The weeping and crying were pretty constant and so now added Effexsor.  Today - thanks to all of you ladies who offered suggestions (I followed them) - 4 months and 2 days after my dx with bone mets, I seem to have a grip and very little se's from the Arimidex/Aredia combination.  Ah, better living through pharmaceuticals! 

The only thing I don't know and won't until a 6 month PET scan - is it working????  March in the magic month. 

And that is how I feel today...Hugs to All...Sharon

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited January 2010

Hey Sharon, we, your friends, will wait right along with you.   Let's take it just one day at a time.  Yesterday is history; tomorrow is not promised.  Today is a gift.

• sobx
    sobx Member Posts: 108
    edited January 2010

I take my little white pill in the morning. I also take zoloft.  Had the night sweats really bad for a few weeks and that has settled down. Just taking each day. Welcome all new ones on this thread. We will help each other get through this. I've been on it for a year now.
  • balsie
    edited January 2010

somanywomen/~ and all

I take thyroid meds in the morning and I need to take those on an empty stomach , but I do have coffee with them....I love my coffee!  about half hour later a take my arimidex and then I eat my smoothie in about half an hour or 45 min. I have to find out if it is ok to take thyroid meds and arimidex together.  (anybody know that one) I don't know why I think I have to take it on an empty stomach and I don't get an upset stomach or anything. 

another question: after chemo did anyone have to wait a few months for their liver enzymes to come down?

Sharon.....It will be go well : )

Balsie~

• otter
    otter Member Posts: 757
    edited January 2010

Re:  when to take Arimidex

Balsie said this:  "I take it in the morning on an empty stomach and I guess you are suppose to stay up for at least an hour after taking it."

I don't think that's necessary for Arimidex.  It is for the oral bisphosphonate drugs, though (Boniva, Fosamax etc.).  With those drugs, you're supposed to take the pill first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and then stay upright (sitting or standing) for an hour.  That's because the bisphosphonate can cause gastric reflux and esophageal erosion if you lie down after you take it.  Some of the people who've had gastric problems ("indigestion") from taking bisphosphonates have actually developed esophageal cancer as a result.

Arimidex, OTOH, is pretty forgiving.  I've read the package insert ("prescribing information") and the stuff about it on rxlist.com.  Nowhere does it say we have to take it at a particular time.  AstraZeneca says to take it at the same time every day, but that's so we get in the habit of taking it and don't forget.  The half-life of Arimidex is really long (almost 48 hours), so, once we've been on it for a couple of weeks, the blood levels of the drug are pretty stable and it shouldn't matter if we slide the dosage time a few hours one way or the other.

The prescribing information also says "Arimidex can be taken with or without food," so it doesn't seem to matter if we take it before breakfast, with a meal, or at bedtime (like I do).  It's kind of nice to have a drug for which there aren't a lot of dosing "rules", as there are with so many others.

otter

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,472
    edited January 2010

Back to fish; I think I heard that it should be an 'oily' fish. I suppose shrimp doesn't count Undecided? What about lake fish? I just felt a little achy when I started Armidex; but just kept walking and it went away. I take it in the morning with coffee (which I won't be giving up!). I think it is pretty much just a personal preference thing. I, myself, get kind of nervous thinking about what will happen when I am done taking it; I sort of feel like it is an insurance policy.

• lakewoman
    lakewoman Member Posts: 221
    edited January 2010

SUGGESTION SOMANYWOMEN. ,...I whispered a prayer over my first dose..threw out the paper with side effects! And got into my usual summer activities..You said you will take it on a day when you can give your full attention to notice side effects..>Best not to look for anything...take the pill.. take a walk ,,go on with what Deb Jarvis (great author)  calls our "new normal'' . Let life just happen as it did BC...before cancer! you knew that hahhahha! Blessings to you! and all my sisters!

• balsie
    edited January 2010

Good adivce lakewomen! I needed to hear that.

Blessing

Balsie~

• somanywomen
    edited January 2010

Thanks to all, you are right lakewoman, it has to be done and I will try to continue this "new normal" of tests, biopsy, surgery, tests, scans, rads, rads, and more rads now hopefully this drug will slow down the need for the previous mentioned such stuff...

I took my 1st arimidex about an hour ago with coffee (1824 days to go) then ate oatmeal w/cinnamon and rice milk, took my morning vitamins/supplements and will go about my day....The nurse had told me to take it in evenings for the first few months, but it makes more sense to take in the morning just in case it makes my legs aches at night......I am years post menopause, but have never had se's (never a hot flash or other fun things that menopause might bring) and I'm afraid they are going to hit me with a vengeance.....

• sue-61
    sue-61 Member Posts: 262
    edited January 2010

somany

I had a pretty easy menopause. Had to start buying my Lanz flannel nighties with a V neck so the minimal sweats didn't get to me.  I am not fearful of the side effects of the arimidex. I get occasional hip pain which will wake me up at night but try to remember to toss down a couple of ibuprofen before bedtime. I can go for days with no hip issues. Go figure.  I take it in the morning as I am afraid I would forget it at night. And I take it with a big cup of coffee. No one really gave me any specific instructions on when to take it and what side effects I might have. I do have some non painful joints on my fingers that are enlarged but that's about it. I don't really sleep well anyway so I cannot attribute that to the little white pill. I do notice weight gain, however, but plan to get some "orthopedic" underwear.......I do have a long line prosthetic  bra which is pretty good at hiding the new muffin top, but my belly and my fanny need a little more "support." I am a vision, let me tell you.........Sue

• balsie
    edited January 2010

Just took arimidex with my thyroid meds altogether all at once  with a large glass of water and then settled in with a cup of coffee and the morning paper.  I am going to quit thinking about it so much and just go on with my "new normal" life. 

For those hotflashed that happen I just keep a glass of ice water around...........seems to help!

Have a wonderful normal day!

Balsie~

• ruthbru
    edited January 2010

You will do fine; I think the 'just on with life' advice is right on!

• somanywomen
    edited January 2010

Thanks all, as usual with a little help from all of you and the sense of humor we try to hold on to, we can get through this!!...Sue, you are too funny describing yourself!!!...The nurse did tell me that weight gain was almost assured with arimidex...As of a couple of months ago, I have changed to anti-cancer diet, mostly vegs, some fruits, minimal chicken, no red meat, lots fish...I feel better than I have in years and had 0 tiredness during rads and believe this change plus vitamins/supplements and walking have attributed to feeling good...I can fit into my size 8 jeans, have not been able to do that in years and years....Two very good book that I have recommended on other sites is "Foods to Fight Cancer" by Beliveau and Gingras, ordered it for $13.57 on Amazon, I also have David Schreiber's book "Anti cancer, A NEW WAY OF LIFE".....These two books are all you really need to learn just how much your diet and the things you put on your body have effects towards a healthier lifestyle...

• sobx
    sobx Member Posts: 108
    edited January 2010

I get up and eat my cereal and then drink a cup of tea then take all of my pills. Then I take the Dd for a walk. then go on about my day. I don't eat after 8 pm. I have noticed the more I exercise the less I sleep. I was sleeping 8-10 hours a night. Also the night sweats only lasted a few weeks. The little white pill does cause RLS but I take ibuporfen before bed and in the morning and I haven't had any problems I couldn't handle. The longer I take it the less SE's I have had. And I haven't had the weight gain either. As long as I can remember I have never worn 12's and  they seem big on me at times. (I have worn 14's as long as I can remember.) I'm 6'2".

• bonzoinMaine
    bonzoinMaine Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2010

I'm 69 and have been on Arimidex for 18 months - Zoloft for years. My problem is that my immune system seems to have suffered as I'm much more prone to colds and flu and they seem to last much longer than they use to. Does anyone else have this problem?

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,078
    edited January 2010

somanywomen, I read this thread for a couple of months before starting Arimidex, and I was downright nervous the day I popped my first little white pill.  I took it in the morning for a week and suffered from the aches and pains.  Then I switched to taking it at night and started feeling much better.  So far the SEs are tolerable.  I do feel like I've aged quite a bit, between stopping HRT and taking Arimidex.  I felt younger than my years on HRT and now those years have caught up with me!

It's true that exercise helps.  I've gained weight but I'm not sure I can blame Arimidex. 

For those taking a thyroid med, you're supposed to take it alone, not with any other meds, and wait 30 min. before drinking or eating.  I take it alone but don't wait 30 min before my first cup of coffee.

Good health to all of us pill-takers!

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565
    edited January 2010

Hi all, I take my Arimidex first thing in the morning with breakfast. Started 12/1. Nightsweats continue and my appetite has decreased. Depression is still ongoing but am  going to primary tomorrow to get an anti-depressant, 

.My onc suggested fish oil, calcium with Vitamin D, and Centrum Silver which I started to take last week. I will be 61 the end of February and was post menopausal prior to diagnosis in Oct. 09. I had been taking minimum amount of an HRT due to lousy menopausal systems. Of course, I no longer take the HRT. I do not like taking the Arimidex medication but will not stop.  I have lost weight with the Arimidex. Only good thing.

Have a great evening and best wishes to everyone.

Ronna

• ruthbru
    edited January 2010
    I did not gain any weight at all; in fact I lost a couple pounds (no more or less easily than I did BA (before Armidex). After the whole BC thing, I really got serious about the daily exercise and semi-serious about the diet (I'll will have to look for those books,somanywomen). I think whatever health issues might happen to us probably come out of a combination of: 1. the whole physical wear that treatments brings (surgery, chemo, radiation, anti-hormones- any combination thereof is going to be tough on the body!), 2. the mental stress of treatment (can anyone spell 'nervous breakdown'?!) 3. the fact that we survived and are getting older (which is a very good thing Smile). Take Care, Ruth
  • somanywomen
    edited January 2010

ruthbru and all,,,,those two books I mentioned above are so interesting and make so much sense...I just feel it gives me some control in this new BC world, esp., since you can actually eat foods/spices (esp. tumeric with black pepper take a supplement of green tea and boost the effects unbelievably), this is the kind of info that we all need to fight back along with the estrogen blocker.....This bit of control helps me not only physically but also mentally.....now tomorrow a friend of mine (she got a metal detector for Christmas) and I are going to go find out fortune with a long walk on the beach!!!!..Wish me luck, ladies.....

I had my first CA15-3 and CEA markers test...what should I look for??

• bonzoinMaine
    bonzoinMaine Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2010

Onco11, I have been on Arimidex for almost 2 years and feel great. Have not had sleep problems, have not gained weight and have not had muscle aches. My oncologist is at Dana Farber Cancer Center and she tells me many of her patients take Arimidex with no side effects.  I do get tired a little more easily but I'm 69 so that could be just my age. I think my immune system may not be as good as it was before the Arimidex. I do seem to pick up colds a lot and that never happened to me before my mastectomy.  Anyway think with a positive spirit and live for the moment.  Bonzo

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited January 2010

Hi Everyone,

I take my Arimidex first thing on rising in the AM.  Drink a big glass of water 15-30 minutes later. Then eat breakfast, usually oatmeal or dry cereal, sometimes an egg.  If we have grapefruit or other citrus I wait to eat it later, maybe 45-60 minutes, due to the acid.  No one told me to do this... just my way of thinking I have some control.  :-)

pam 

• ruthbru
    edited January 2010

Somanywomen, I went back and checked my records. At my first post-treatment checkup they did the CA15-3 test and also one called the CA 27-29. I don't know if the second one is the same as your CEA or not? But the CA15-3 says on the top that your score should be less than 30. CA 17-29 less than 38. Couple side notes; they did both blood tests for the first checkup, and since then it's just been only the CA 27-29. Also they are rather non-specific tests, so your numbers might jump around a little; like be 12 one time, 18 the next, 12 the next etc. Don't be alarmed if that happens, as long as you're under the magic number. I know they are not perfect tests, and some people don't even like to get them, but it gives me some peace of mind. Ruth

• somanywomen
    edited January 2010

bonzo, wow it's nice to hear about those that have no major se's....the only thing I noticed yesterday (took first pill) was I woke up a few times last night and had harder time going back to sleep....

ruth, they told me, I would be rechecked every 12 weeks....The number the nurse gave me on the phone (I haven't got my copy in mail yet) was 4 for the Ca15-3..... I wonder why docs do different tests and which ones are the most benficial...

• Padiddle
    Padiddle Member Posts: 139
    edited January 2010

Sue-61:  Was reading your post.  I have to start Arimidex this month too.  Just wanted to say that peroxide is not good for your mouth.  It will damage tissue in the mouth.  Stick with the salt water.  Hoping for the best for all of us.  Jean

• ruthbru
    edited January 2010

A 4 is an awesome number on that test! Ask what the CEA test is, maybe it's the same as the other one I get. I had checkups every 3 months for the first year too, now I'm down to twice a year, and after  5 years (knocking on wood with one hand and typing with the other) it's once a year. Good luck! Ruth

• Welga
    Welga Member Posts: 88
    edited January 2010
    JO

After skipping Nexium twice your burning got worst, so Nexium is really helping you, stick to it, I never want to feel what I was experiencing without it. Maybe when you are trough your prescription you can really tell how your system is. 20 mg, for me was not making it, but your reflux could be milder than mine.
    I got back to fish oil, it does not give me heartburn, maybe it's my change of diet, I have added cabbage wich is suppose to heal to stomach and backed potatoes everyday. Even in my salad I add a few pieces of potatoes so the vinagar does not burn my stomach. This way I can eat lots of things I could not before, except for black peper.
    Appointements are annoying, I can understand not wanting to call, but for me colonoscopy is very important that's the one I don't put back, it runs in my mother's family. Have a nice afternoon
    Welga

• Welga
    Welga Member Posts: 88
    edited January 2010

pj12345

That was funny about the lady with the alarm clock, I should have said ''timer'' instead of alarm clock, and I feel a little bad about replying that I too sometimes don't hear it, I guess it's part of the scenery now for me. Good thing I don't do this in public lolll