Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Comments

• lakewoman
    lakewoman Member Posts: 221
    edited January 2010

Sue TY for remembering!!!!  2009 hunting season has ended. I only hunt deer and in NYS it is over first part of Dec. BUT today I have completed my journal for that season and was also editing a long and humorous entry from Nov 11th for possible publication in Woman Hunter magazine...I am so anxious to see an article in a 2010 issue ,I had posted here, long ago, that I combined my BC journal and hunting journal for 2008 and it will be published this year.They only publish 6 magazines a year thus the delay I. recently learned and probably told you all~~~  it will be about survivors!

I am pleased with my lab experiments. I have positive results each time!! I cannot believe that a little dab of that stuff will DO me! ..And like so many of you because of estrogen loss ty arimidex... menopause ty hysterectomy,, and removing my estorgen patch ,,after over a year + of no libido IT has returned !!!! I am a healthy  very soon to be 70 yr old BUT right now I am struggling with being so lazy I NEED TO EXERCISE!

Carole so happy to hear your oncotype score wow! super!

• horsegal13
    horsegal13 Member Posts: 46
    edited January 2010

I was supposed to be put on Tamoxifen, even filled my first prescription on Tues. Then my oncologist called and told me my blood tests show I am 'postmenopausal'. I haven't gone through menopause, I just turned 47 on Tues. I have no symptoms, my oncologist is stumped. He also said since I'm on Prozac it will hinder Tamox from working and being post meno it will not work for me. He wants to put me on Arimidex, but first he wants me to go see my gyno and make absolutely sure I am post meno. I go in on Friday. I am unsure about taking Arimidex after reading all the side effects. I already have joint pain as I have arthritis.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited January 2010

Carolehalston, I'm grossed out just reading yoiur post.  How bad am I?  The name "crawfish" would keep me from eating it.  Just sounds like something obscene!  Ewwwwwwwwwww.  Sorry, I'm just real picky and if it doesn't even sound right I won't touch it.  Makes for a boring diet.

Congrats on the low Onco score - YAY!

I'm whipped so turning in.  Night all.

• horsegal13
    edited January 2010

JO-5,

I sure hope you are right. I guess I'll find out soon enough. I do take a glucosamine/chrondroitin supplement to help my joints so maybe that will help with this also.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,472
    edited January 2010

horsegal, I agree with Jo-5. Other than being a little achy at the start, I haven't had any bad side effects at all. You are lucky if you can go on it compared to Tamoxifin, which has more side effects and not as good of a non-reoccurance rate (I would have considered a hysterectomy just so I could go on it instead of Tamoxifin if I had been pre-menopausal!). But remember nothing is etched in stone, and if you try it and it's awful for you, you can try something else. Good luck!

• horsegal13
    edited January 2010

Hi Ruthbru

I see you are from ND also! I had a hysterectomy last year, but kept my ovaries. I'm hoping I won't get the SE like some people do. I'll find out tomorrow when I see the gyno for her opinion.

Thanks for the advice.

• ruthbru
    edited January 2010
    What part of ND, or aren't we suppose to say that? And where are you doctoring, or aren't we suppose to say that either? I see we are both newbies to the site, and I'm not sure what the rules are. I go to Innovis in Fargo for the cancer stuff and have been pleased with them (if one can say the word 'cancer' and 'pleased' in the same sentence Undecided).
  • carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,078
    edited January 2010

Ruthbru and horsegal, it's better not to divulge too many personal details in your posts, like address and e-mail address, etc.  That's what the Personal Message (PM) is for.  All our posts are public and can be seen by anybody doing a search on the internet.  You can chat using PMs.

• rgiuff
    rgiuff Member Posts: 339
    edited January 2010

Horsegal, even postmenopausal women can take tamoxifen, not just the aromotase inhibitors.  From what I'm reading, most doctors will go straight to the AIs (such as arimidex), once they think you are definitely postmenopausal because they have a slightly higher advantage in preventing reoccurrence than tamoxifen.  If you are still menstruating regularly, maybe you aren't always ovulating.  From what I understand, these blood tests can vary day to day while you are perimenopausal, so not really reliable unless you are also having symptoms of menopause, such as many months of missed periods, hot flashes, vaginal dryness, etc.  My Gyn wouldn't even do testing for menopause last time I went, even though I'd been 8 months without a period.  She said, "you have to go a full 12 months, it could still come back."  Well, lo and behold, just this week, after 10 months, I just had a full period again.

I'm glad, because my Onc has brought up the discussion about switching from tamoxifen to AIs.  I'm having few problems with the tamoxifen, and have told my Onc that for me personally, I really don't like the whole idea of the AIs, so now that I have to wait a whole year again to be considered postmenopausal, that keeps that option off the table.  

So Lakewoman, just a little dab of cream is doing all this for you?  Maybe I will try your brand as well, perhaps the cheaper brand that I bought wasn't the same.

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited January 2010

There is a new thread named Arimidex in the Recommend Your Resources category.  So you are not seeing double :)

Jo.....you need to give them your famous line!

pam 

• ruthbru
    edited January 2010
    Hey Carole, thanks for the sending a personal message tip, it worked great. Wanted to tell you that I ate fish THREE times this week, so am feeling quite virtuous. I don't think I could pluck the heads off of anything or boil it alive. I only like to eat food whose faces I have not seen Smile !!
  • sobx
    sobx Member Posts: 108
    edited January 2010

We get fresh shrimp  here. I go with plucking the heads. My husband always used a knife. My dad use to bring crabs home and we just put paper on the table and he would let us at them. My mom would go in the other room. So good!!

• lakewoman
    edited January 2010
    1. rgiuff ...I am praying for you for good ' lab' results if you decide to buy the product . Someone else posted here that it worked for her also ~~~~did you read that.?
  • lakewoman
    edited January 2010

I take one omega 3 a day ,, I eat fish so can I stop it ??,,I am  not even sure why I started it in the first place and if this dose can have any benefit.anyway This RN did no research in this area HELP!..

• sue-61
    sue-61 Member Posts: 262
    edited January 2010

Hey Lakewoman! This RN did not research it either, re Fish oil,but  I think the omega 3 fish, if that's what you call them, are things like salmon and sardines. Not a fan of either, so I continue to gag on that gigantic fish oil pill qd. (every day) My pcp advised putting the fish oil in the freezer if any one complains about "fish burbs". The fish oil capsules are also supposed to be good for your joints. At least that's what I think I read somewhere on one of the boards.

RE KILLING SHRIMP......being a gal who goes to Maine in the summer, and with owning one big lobster (lobstah) pot..........I plunge them live into the boiling water while one of my sisters runs outside and screams. She is such a wimp. And lobsters DO stare back at you while you eat them. Oh well, Sue 

• lakewoman
    edited January 2010

SUE TY so much for info! I don't get fish burb but will remember your freezer trick if I 'hear' of anyone who does ha!   As long as I know that one OD ( also everyday !) NOW we can all use these abbreviations!!! is worth taking I am okay with that..As I said I thought maybe I had to take more to be effectve.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited January 2010

Nah, it was requested on the other 'Arimidex' thread which really looked like someone just out to trash Arimidex rather than offer any real alternative.  Don't even know if that thread is still there but it's good to also post that here again as well.

Will also wish you a happy birthday here too!  (day later I know)

• Welga
    Welga Member Posts: 88
    edited January 2010

One day late here too, did not know but better later than never, happy birthday JO!!

• sobx
    sobx Member Posts: 108
    edited January 2010

Happy Birthday Jo.  Hope you have many more.

• ruthbru
    edited January 2010

My family doctor says if you eat fish twice a week, you don't need to take the omega 3/fish oil suppliments. Anyone with nutrition background know if that' makes sense?

• horsegal13
    edited January 2010

RGIUFF- I had a hysterectomy in Oct. 2008. I have been getting warm at night and throw off the covers alot. Also I have been noticing I get warm flashes, they only last a few minutes though. I am going to wait and retest in the end of Feb. to see if my #'s go higher. My ob/gyn says if they do then I can go on the Arimidex. I want to take the best thing to NOT get this cancer back!

Sunflowers-thanks for the info on Arimidex. I was scared after I read some of the posts about it. I also take Prozac which does not work great with Tamoxifen, another reason my oncologist wants me to take Arimidex.

• ruthbru
    edited January 2010

I think they prescribe Effexor because it helps with hot flashes. I have a friend who is on it solely for the hot flash relief.

• balsie
    balsie Member Posts: 228
    edited January 2010

hi everyone~

I started taking arimidex on January 1st.  I did notice a little joint pain but really have no SE to speak of.  I do think walking helps that a lot. I get on the treadmill everyday and do Yoga too! I also take vit. D3 4000u.  I am also doing Zometa every 6 months.  Now that made me feel acky for about 2 days. 

Now if I could just sleep for 8 hours staight without taking ambien!

Enjoy your day!

Balsie~

• BronwynJulia
    BronwynJulia Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2010

Hi Danasue,

I also had severe joint pain on Arimidex.  It was combined with herceptin which I am still taking (two more to go).  I was a basket case, and tried to battle through my yoga this summer but just couldn't.  It also gave me severe hot flashes and intense mood swings that made me feel that I couldn't cope. I gave up taking it after 3 months and have done much better since.  There is still some joint pain and stiffness no doubt from the herceptin, but not half what it was before. 

• Welga
    Welga Member Posts: 88
    edited January 2010
    JO

I fell the same about taking all those meds, I have an alarm set for every hour from the time I get up t'ill the time I go to bed, taking one pill every hour so I don't have one med affect the efficacity of another med. It's plain awful to live this way, it's even stressing, but I am a meticulous person by nature, and after reading on this board a few years back about it I tought this was the way to do it.

Maybe just a few days without Nexium will be the answer to your questions, I don't think it's bad as you were not taking anything before and survived loll....sorry just joking, but it's the best way to know if your pains are from Nexium. I hope not but there are other brands you can try if this is the problem.

Welga

• pj12
    edited January 2010

Welga,

The alarm clock reminds me of a funny story.  Years ago I worked in a medical office.  A really chic older female patient was supposed to be taking her eye drops every 4 hours but she was always out shopping, dining, etc and continually forgot.  Her solution was to put an alarm clock in her purse. So she was shopping one day and another customer approached her and said, "excuse me, do you have an alarm clock in your purse?" "Yes, why?" she responded.  "Because it is ringing!" the other woman said.  Laughing  Guess she was deaf as well as forgetful.  Or just in shopping rapture... that would be me.

Happy "day off" tomorrow.  No mail, no banks.  Seems disrespectful to say Happy Martin Luther King Day... well, maybe not since we are celebrating his birth, not his death.  Anyway, hope you enjoy a quiet day.

We are doing the big bed move!  Bringing a beautiful cherry 4-poster bed my husband made from another house here.  That means we had to dismantle existing kingsize bed and bring most of it downstairs.  Will ask the movers to carry the mattress down as I am just not as strong a helper as I used to be and DH shouldn't be doing heavy work either.  The other bed is in parts waiting to be picked up and brought here.  Now that mattress is a killer... all I could do to help SLIDE it off the bed and lean it against the wall.  Poor guys who have to carry it upstairs here. But I got to vacuum behind the bed and under it.  Wow, the carpet under the bed sure looks better than the rest of the room!  Big job but we are making progress.

Guess I will go catch up on the tragedy in Haiti.  Poor people.  Poor children.  God bless them all.

pam 

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439
    edited January 2010

Speaking of beds ladies, I have to say that a high bed is a lot more user friendly than the low ensemble styles of years ago. Now I know why the hospitals have them, not just for the protection of the nurses backs.

We bought one about 8yrs ago and, being a shorty, I have a little step stool on my side to get onto it.

When I was nearly crippled with mets a year ago, it was the one thing that made my life easier.

I lift one leg behind me while bending forward and sort of roll onto it as the top of the mattress is at my thigh height.  When I leave it I just swing my legs over the side and slide onto the stool and step down.

The old one would have been like getting up off the floor, just not possible, with the hip and leg pain l had. 

Sheila.

• pj12
    edited January 2010

It's so true, Sheila.  

Taking the big bed move in stages we disassembled our bed here in prep to move it out to the other house.  So last night we slept on the mattress on the floor.  Getting down was ok but getting up!!! It was not even worth my  usual 2:00 AM trip to the bathroom!  This move has discumbobulated the whole household.  I cleaned out my closet, step 1 in the move the bed project (DH did not understand that at all).  Now the dining room table is stacked with things to donate.  I am hoping our little local thrift shop is open today so I can clear it off.  Step 2 was cleaning out my jewelry and creating a cache of costume stuff for granddaughter.  I know that you all can see how that impacts the bed move :-)

Well, the movers should be here any minute so I'd better not look like I have been on BC.org all this time DH has been driving all over the county with them.  

Hope everyone has a good day.

pam 

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,078
    edited January 2010

About Effexor for hot flashes.  My gyn said effexor is the only antidepressant tested for helping with menopausal symptoms.  I started taking 75 mg. daily when I was dx'ed in June for BC and immediately stopped taking hormones.  My hot flashes are mild and I don't have mood swings.  I may just stay on Effexor because my moods are so positive and happy.  Whatever helps, go for it.  That's my philosophy.  Why suffer needlessly because of some fixation about not taking meds?

Happy Monday to all those taking Effexor and not taking it!!!!

• somanywomen
    somanywomen Member Posts: 82
    edited January 2010

Just finished rads last week with no major se's.....Filled precription for Arimidex...gave myself a few days off and now I don't know how to get the nerve to take the first pill....I know once I start, I will have 1825 days to go...Makes my 30 rads seem like ancient history...Any pointers on first se's to expect??...I might get nerve up by end of week.......ty