Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Comments

• somanywomen
    somanywomen Member Posts: 82
    edited January 2010
    ruthbru, just got my copy of CA15-3 and CEA report, my CEA says....( 0.4 but doesn't show a reference range)....I don't even know what CEA is for, so I will do some research on web....Jo-5, I haven't even told my husband that I started taking these yet, I'm afraid he will keep asking me how I feel and I am trying to ignore anything except something that is really out of the norm for me...so far so good......bonzo gives me a lot of hope....
  • carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,078
    edited January 2010

somanywomen, I hope you're rich when you check back in!!  The only dietary advice my BS gave me was to avoid soy products.  Yet some self-proclaimed cancer experts say that soy is beneficial.  The problem is knowing who and what to believe.  Anybody can publish a book. 

I don't know anything about the markers test so can't offer any info on the subject.  Others probably can.

Hope everyone is doing well.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,472
    edited January 2010

I think there are no magic bullets; we just need to, for sure, do what everyone should be doing anyway; exercise more, lose weight, eat more fish, fruits, vegetables, less fats & red meat, drink very, very moderately or not at all, stay away from mega doses of any suppliment or vitimin, not smoke, get regular checkups etc. etc. etc. etc. SIGH!!! Frown Writing this makes me so depressed that I want to make a pot roast (with gravy), mix up a batch of chocolate chip cookies, drink a glass of wine, and sit in my recliner all night long doing nothing!!!! HA!

• somanywomen
    edited January 2010

carolehalston, well no Mel Fisher finds at the beach, wonderful walk though and the ocean was like glass..We sectioned off a few areas and acted like tourists and did our search, dug some holes and found nothing..I think we need to learn to use that metal detector better...We did not waste the bucket, as we picked up all plastic trash so it would not wash back out to sea..

ruthbru, had a glass of wine yesterday at the Port, drank it really slow, as I drink less alcohol these days....

Does anyone know, if arimidex leaves your body daily or does it have the power to accumulate for the se's to start showing up?..I go for bone density test this morning..I will make sure that I take care of my bones as much as I can do with foods/vitamins and supplements and walking and hope for fewer bone aches/problems.....

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited January 2010

Hi Gals!  It's me, Jeannette!  I changed my log-in name!  I'm sorry I missed all of your posts about the Arimidex!  I had called my Insurance Company, along with several other stores, & the Insurance company told me it would be about $400 per 3 months, & Walmart said $400 a month...I don't know if that was with my insurance or not.....But on the 4th of January I saw the Oncologist, told him I couldn't afford the Arimidex, & he gave me a prescription for Tamoxifen.  I have been taking it for almost 3 weeks now, & so far, no side effects! 

It looks like I am only on page 50 here, & there are 56....So I'll read what you other gals have to say!  Geez, I'm sorry I forgot to check this Arimidex thread with my "friends" here!   I'm still on the "Older Women" thread, & also the "Bottle 'O Tamoxifen"....

It seems like when we are going through  our waiting for tests & then surgery, and the recovery, THEN the Radiation, we seem to settle down, & I don't feel so much "panic" anymore!  I know that is good, & it's great that we've come that far....But I LOVE that we are still here for each other, even though we can look back on it now!  Thanks everyone!  I love you all!  Jeannette

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited January 2010

SoManyWomen....

I read on here recently about the half life of arimidex which is pretty long but can;t remember the science of it.  At any rate, the bottom line was that the dose is pretty consistent in your body once you have been on it a few days.

My hot flashes have eased up a good bit after 7 months.  I used to break out in a drippy sweat, now just warm power surges mostly.  The joint pain is more stiffness now and walking for exercise keeps me loosened up.

I can do this... you can do this... we can get through this together!

pam 

• pj12
    edited January 2010

It was Otter who posted about half-life.  Here is what she said:

The half-life of Arimidex is really long (almost 48 hours), so, once we've been on it for a couple of weeks, the blood levels of the drug are pretty stable and it shouldn't matter if we slide the dosage time a few hours one way or the other.

pam 

• pj12
    edited January 2010

Jo-5....

I hope I did not come across as argumentative! I didn't see your last post before I copied Otter's remarks forward. In my own case I have to be religious in taking my Arimidex at the same time every day or I will forget it!  Since I began the drug 7 months ago I have only forgotten once.. felt as if I  was going to drop over dead from fulminating breast cancer before I could get home and take my pill, 3 hours late! 

Wishing everyone an easy time with the ambivalent Arimidex.

pam 

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited January 2010

I take mine evenings with a 2-3 hour window meaning most times I take it about 8:30 but have taken it as early as 7pm and as late as 11pm.  I'm not going to worry about it.  So far I've never forgotten about it.

Twin(JO) that all sounds good but with this little white pill, it's anybody's guess.  Like I said before, ask 14 med oncs the same question and you will get 17 different answers.

Going to give my boss the rest of my day.  Later all.

• Frapp
    Frapp Member Posts: 343
    edited January 2010

I have been on arimidex for two weeks now and have not noticed any se's.  I am 50 and two years ago had a complete hysterectomy and at that time was put on a hormone patch.  Upon suspecting breast cancer in early December I immediately stopped the patch and two weeks ago was given arimidex.  I thought for sure I was going to be hit with hot flashes at least.  But so far, nothing.  I have been finding myself weepy this week, but given the circumstances, who wouldn't be? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it stay this way and hope this posts helps others.

Pat

• Welga
    Welga Member Posts: 88
    edited January 2010

JO

You have a good therory about the fat. May I add mine, concerning belly fat. I remember when I was yound I always wonder why older women always lost their shape, specially growing a belly. I always thought I would exercice and it would not happen to me. Even my mother who wash slender like me had one. I tought it was the ugliest thing (go figure) and after taking AI I started developping a belly, lost my top head hair, geez, just like my grandmother, so my conception is that as we age our homone production stops and the fat, the thining hair, the dry skin starts, AI ages us prematuraly, makes us look like we where 80, geez I must stop too depressing....

• Frapp
    Frapp Member Posts: 343
    edited January 2010

Jo-5,  me too on the cold.  Mostly in the eves.  I take my pill around 6pm.  I haven't noticed any difference in my sleep activity.  I'll take cold anytime!!  You can always add more clothes.

• sue-61
    sue-61 Member Posts: 262
    edited January 2010

Jo, I agree with you re fatness from Arimidex. It makes perfect sense to me. My Mother was slim and got that "middle aged spread" when she began menopause. Now we call it a "muffin top." The rather disturbing thing about all this is that fat is no good for you if you have breast cancer, right? It stores estrogen. So taking Arimidex seems to me to be like riding on the merry go round. Or have I not had enough coffee today? Anyone can feel free to explain all this to me! Thanks, Sue

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565
    edited January 2010

I sarted Arimidex  Dec. 1 and realize my depression and nauseau is from this medication. I know the cold sweats and hot flashes are s/e's.

Is there an alternative medication?  I asked my pharmacist if I take Nexium can they be taken together, he said it has to be taken 3 hours from Arimidex. Before BC I was taking Nexium for something else and I took it in the morning and had to wait 1/2 before eating. So if I stay on Arimidex and start again with the Nexium what comes first. Can anyone answer that.

I am very sensitive to smell as well, and everything is making me nauseous. I am walking quite a bit, but feel very tired at all times. Is this another symptom? Has anyone got off this medication for something else?

Thank you for any answers.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited January 2010

Hi Ronna, seems if you take both you would just spread them out; maybe take one a.m. and one midday or in the p.m.?  Also, some of the se's may go awau over time.  I just realized this week that I no longer have the hot flashes that started back in March when I first started Arimidex.  Same with the carpal tunnel on my hand, I rarely notice now although I still wear the wrist support at night. 

Talk to your med onc about your concerns if you really feel you can't tolerate the se's.  You can also browse the 'natural girls' posts on the alternatives thread for some ideas. 

• ruthbru
    edited January 2010

Somanywomen, glad you enjoyed your glass wine! I drink maybe three glasses a MONTH (not that I drank a great deal before) but now make sure that, if I do have a drink, I really savor it. chevyboy, my oncologist said the Armidex is suppose to go generic this summer. So you might want to check that out (although if you are doing fine with Tamoxifin, you might want to leave well enough alone ?). I was too freaked out to even come on the boards during my active treatment. I just joined over Christmas, and am really enjoying the support and companionship that this site brings. Take Care All! Ruth

• pj12
    edited January 2010

Hi Ronqt,

I attribute my "less than strong" feeling to Arimidex.  I have been on it 7 months now and that has not changed. :-(  I have added a vitamin pill to my supplements, never took one before.  Also am trying to increase my protein consumption. Having said that negative stuff, my attitude and desire to do things is improving. So my ennui, I think, was more just the effect of recovering from three surgeries and accepting the BC sentence. I am even moving furniture around... a sure sign of feeling better.

Hang in there.

pam 

• somanywomen
    edited January 2010

Ronna, I am curious, did your se's start immediately on starting the arimidex or did they start a few weeks later??...I started arimidex 4 mornings ago and take it 1st thing in the morning with coffee and eat about an hour later....The only se's so far is my brain (top of head) feels heavy with a touch of pounding when I wake up!!!...Arimidex appears to be one of the best cancer controlling drugs so I hope to continue my 5 years and hope your se's stay bearable....good luck....

ruthbru, I have cut down my alcohol to about 4 drinks a week and like you, I have learned to savor it....When I want to drink more than one glass of wine I add a healthy juice (cranberry, grape, etc) to it so I can have a couple of drinks..When we visit friends, I take my own very diluted winery drink that is about 1/4 wine and 3/4 juice......

• Sukiann
    Sukiann Member Posts: 88
    edited January 2010

Jo, I think your explanation about the weight is right on.  I've gained 2 lbs since October and I've been dieting and excercising since beginning of November.  When I got on the scale at the onc. office the other day I was shocked.  What else can I do.  I'm eating healthy, really cutting back on my food intake and I'm excercising about 4 times a week (running on the treadmill and weight training).  Before the hormonal therapy I'm sure I would have lost something.  Muscle weighs more than fat?  I don't think that's it.  I think as you said, our bodies are holding on to the fat or producing more to make up for the estrogen loss.  It's very discouraging but as I said, I really can't do anything more than what I'm doing.  Crazy!!!  Oh well, at least I'm alive (but I want to be alive and skinny!!)

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited January 2010

Good Morning Jo-5 & Welga & Ronna....I read the post that you, Jo, had written about the Nexium....I don't know if this will help you gals, but I always had the WORST heart-burn & back pain, & even when I would bend over...It was either heart-burn or Hiatal Hernia ...

I was told to take Zantac, or Ranitidine, (the generic) every day....And it worked.....And a lot cheaper than either Nexium or Prilosec....But when I started taking Tamoxifen I thought I had better try getting healthier, so I started drinking smoothies made with Orange Juice, a Banana, the fat free flavored creamer, & mixed with Aloe Vera Juice.....the kind from Walmart, for about $8 a gallon.  I mix up enough for a couple days, & I have been drinking a juice glass full, about 3 times a day.....I have NOT had to take a Ranitidine for the last 2 weeks!    I mix about 1/2 OJ & 1/2 Aloe Vera....My Husband just drinks the Aloe straight, but I like it mixed. Wink I had an ulcer about 10 years ago, & my friend told me "Oh, just go get some AloeVera Juice & it will make it go away!".....I stopped on my way to work, picked up a gallon from a health food store, mixed it with tea, drank it right away, & I never had that "pain" again....I stayed on it for about a month... But this time, I'm just going to drink those smoothies & take my Vitamins... and keep on it....It sure can't hurt!  The Aloe is too expensive from the health food stores....So it's worth a try! 

Did any of you gals take Tamoxifen for 2 years before you went on Arimidex?  I was told I might be doing that!...Thanks again  Jeannette

• pj12
    edited January 2010

Good AM Jeanette,

I, too, read an article about taking Tamoxifen for 2 years, then switching to Arimidex.  I WANTED to do that as my meds are out of pocket and it would have saved a ton of money.  I brought it up with my onc and she would not even consider it.  Straight to Arimidex for me.  

pam 

• horsegal13
    horsegal13 Member Posts: 46
    edited January 2010

I will be starting Arimidex at the end of Feb. if my blood tests come back showing I'm definitely post menopausal. I hate waiting, I worry I will get cancer in my other breast. It's been 5 months since I was told I had BC, and I have a mammo every year. So I developed BC within a year, so bad I had to have a MX. Now my oncologist says not to worry that there is no hurry to get on Arimidex. I am worried.

• JeanR1
    JeanR1 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2010

Hi Roxy - I am taking Arimidex - for the last 6 months - severe joint pains especially in the mornings and when sitting for longer periods - I take mine in the morning.  Make sure you take more than 1500 mg's of calcium a day for bone loss - I usally take mine at night because it has magnesium in which helps with the interrupted sleep

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565
    edited January 2010

Good morning everyone:

Somanywomen: My side effects did not start until a few weeks later, in addition to the emotions that were running through me due to the mastectomy and t/e. Plus, losing my patience because PS cannot do fill because of an existing scab on incision that is slowly disappearing.

I am now on Paxil and when I want --valium. Last night I slept upstairs with the window opened (and it is very cold here in NJ). I took 1/2 valium (2mg) before sleep and it helped me get through the night.

Patoo: I guess I will take Nexium this afternoon. Can't hurt if I try it. I know that it will not help immediately.

Chevyboy: I can't get any juice down. I do eat a banana almost every day with my breakfast, plus I put sugar free cream in my coffee if it helps. I am also trying to break away from caffeine coffee and started this a.m. with 1/2 decaf and 1/2 caffeine. Thank you for that suggestion anyway.

Pam: Last week I just started to take the first vitamins I ever took my entire life, calcium with D, centrum silver and fish oil. My appetite has also decreased. I am a Jenny Craig person and I eat their french toasts most mornings, or oatmeal. Looking at food disgusts me but I try and cook alot of chicken meals for dinner. I think my distate of food right now is also a side effect.

I was diagnosed as of 10/09 so this is my first go around and God willing last time with bc. I am just waiting for the T/E OUT and breast implant in.

All of you girls are great! With respect and love,Thank you for all of your responses.

• carolehalston
    edited January 2010

Ronna, reflux meds should be taken first thing in the morning prior to eating.  It doesn't matter when you take the Arimidex so you could schedule it for noon or evening without any other meds, just to be on the safe side.  I take synthroid for underactive thyroid and protonix generic for reflux.  Both should be taken on rising in the morning.  The synthroid gets high priority so I take it first, then take the protonix before eating breakfast later on.  It helps to be retired and have a leisurely schedule!

I've just gotten serious about dropping 10 lbs I gained since my dx in June.  I've gone back to WW principles for healthy eating.  Does anyone know why taking Arimidex can cause weight gain?  Jo's theory about the body opting to hold on to fat makes sense.  I'll report back on my progress in getting back to goal weight.  Personally, I think my weight gain is from calorie intake and pampering myself with food, but we'll see what happens.  The biggest challenge for me is eating out.  But it's possible to make wise choices and limit portions when I eat out.  I'll be tested tonight because we're going out to dinner with neighbors.

As for alcohol, I haven't given up having a cocktail or wine at night before dinner.  On WW, I allow for the extra points by giving up food points and also try to exercise at least 5 times a week.  I know the breast cancer experts advise against drinking, but there are so many women with BC who've never consumed any alcohol whatever.  I enjoy having a drink with DH.  It's a part of our daily life.  And if I gave up drinking and had a recurrence, I would be so p***ed!!

• IllinoisNancy
    IllinoisNancy Member Posts: 99
    edited January 2010

Hi Carol,

I'm with you on not giving up our drinks with the DH.  It is a part of our life too and I really don't want to quit doing all the things I enjoy.  I don't smoke, not overweight, exercise and take Tamoxifen.  I think I will be switching to Arimidex soon since I just completed menopause. I have many friends who are 10-15 years out from their dx and they are doing great and having social drinks.  My breast surgeon even told me not to give it up.

Nancy

• sobx
    sobx Member Posts: 108
    edited January 2010

There are other drug to take but arimidex had the lesser of the se's than the others. I tried all three of them and came back to it. Aronasom and Femara are the other 2. I haven't gained much since on it. 1/09. I also lost 10 lbs before going on this drug and gained 6 back. I exercise and try eating healthy. I drink very little but my mom always had her cocktail before dinner up to the day we put her in the hospital but she took her wine with her to have before going to bed. No one said anything to her. My dad had it on his hospital chart to have a cocktail before dinner. His doctor even bought him the bottle. My dad had colon cancer and my mom BC. My ONC siad that wine is good for you in moderation. Like everything else. Hope everyone has a great weekend. Rainy and chilly on the coast of NC. Suppose to be in the 60's by Sunday. I'm working nights this weekend.

• carolehalston
    edited January 2010

Nancy, I see that you and I had the same Oncotype dx no.  Weren't/aren't we lucky?!

Joy, I absolutely agree with you that moderation is the key.  Anything done in excess can lead to problems. 

Hope everyone enjoys the weekend.  Go, Saints!!!

• ruthbru
    edited January 2010
    Hi from rainy/sleety/snowy North Dakota. It's going to be a long winter here!!! horsegal, why can't they rerun the menopause test sooner? I don't know about the timing. I finished my radiation on a Thursday and my doctor said to start the Armidex Friday.....I was kind of hoping for a little break, myself! Anyone else with timing knowledge/advice? somanywomen, good idea about mixing the wine and juice (sort of reminds me of when I was young and would sometimes carry around a can of beer at a party, just so people wouldn't bug me about not drinking). Carole, I hope you don't report me to the authorities and have me kicked off the post; but living in a neighboring state to Minnesota, I have to say, "Go Vikings!" Smile
  • lakewoman
    lakewoman Member Posts: 221
    edited January 2010

My onc ...when  I had onc...(she got ovarian cancer) said that  2 calcium pills cannot be absorbed.  one in a.m. one in pm.

I did WW and slowly lost 14 pounds ,,I was signed up to continue just when I got BC. I got money back and never returned. It was a long drive ..gas went up ,,tired of counting pts ...maybe have to have chemo (did not) and lose anyway ..I had many excuses.. It is a great program .. but  I think I would have lost faster  had I exercised .My son who lost 50  HIS WAY... has always preached calories in ~ calories out!  I gained about 9 back...but for me it is not the arimidex. I eat too much and don't exercise enough ESP in winter ! I have been about same 25-30 lbs overweight since 1992 ...I am still in a size 14 I am short VERY SHORT...but you know at that soon to be 70 age my wrinkle are bit filled in with fat and I think if I lost 10 I be just fine !for now I am just fine but  know it is not healthy! esp the lack of exercise..