Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Comments

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,078
    edited January 2010

Sonia, one of threads I follow on BC.org is 1step recon w/alloderm.  Two of the women on that thread, both around 50 yrs. old, are DCIS and their medical teams dismissed any need for Tamoxifen or Arimidex.  One of the women consulted two different Oncs.  The good news for you is that DCIS has almost a 100 per cent cure rate!   Both of these women I've mentioned elected BMX.  I don't know whether that surgery choice played into the no-treatment plans. 

If Arimidex isn't recommended, I certainly wouldn't insist on it!  I'm supposed to take it for 5 yrs. and then switch to Femara.  Of course, in 5 yrs. treatment can change.  Thank heaven I didn't have BC 20 yrs ago or even 10 yrs ago. 

I was interested to read that some of you have experienced elevated cholesterol since beginning Arimidex.  This has happened to me.  On my own, I started taking red yeast rice supplement.  It will be interesting to see if the supplement does any good. 

Hang in there everybody.  Supposedly, this pill will make us healthier, even if it's an "achy" healthy! 

• carolehalston
    edited January 2010

One other topic I forgot to comment on.  The cost of Arimidex.  My insurance coverage is pretty good, but I hope for the sake of those not so fortunate that the drug does go generic on schedule.  It's awful that some women can't afford to follow their dr.'s recommendation.  With health care reform stalled in the Congress, it doesn't look like there will be any improvement in access to health care in the US. 

• molly52
    molly52 Member Posts: 142
    edited January 2010

Hi Sonia -From what I have learned, AI's have not been tested on DCIS - so nobody knows whether they will do any good.

I have copied this para below from page 15 Conclusions and Recomendations of the report: - SIDE EFFECTS REVISITED - Women's Experiences With Aromatase Inhibitors -A Report From Breast Cancer Action JUNE 2008

"BCA has also learned anecdotally that some oncologists are prescribing AIs to patients with ductal carcinoma in situ DCIS) or to women who have not had a diagnosis of breast cancer but are considered high risk, despite the absence f data or approval for these uses. These women-women diagnosed with DCIS, and high risk women with no breast ancer-should be fully informed that when a doctor prescribes an AI for them, that this is an off -label use of AIs in their situation. BCA is concerned about this off -label use because clinical trial data have not yet established safety or efficacy of AIs in this setting. These women should be monitored long-term for both side effects and efficacy."

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited January 2010

Hi Sonia 68!  Yes, by all means, ask your Doctor!  I am 72, had a lumpectomy, & radiation with the MammoSite device, & now on tamoxifen!  Been on it for over 3 weeks, & NO side effects!  I was afraid to take it too....but I am more afraid of getting cancer again, so finally asked the Oncologist for a prescription! 

I know that if you are ER+ and PR+, Tamoxifen is an option!  But I don't know about the DCIS!  You must ask someone that knows more about it than I do!  Good wishes for whatever you decide to do!  And yes, the Oncotype Test is very helpful, & suggests what treatment goes along with your "score!"   Jeannette

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565
    edited January 2010

Hi Candie 1971, yes we are neighbors. I live in the townshomes off Rt. 10 across from Daffy's. (behind Best Buy)  I basically still am a novice with all this nonsense, but am on Arimidex now also, and I have some side effects which now have led me to a therapist and transquilizers. Caldwell is a beautiful town. Isn't the Cloverleaf there. We enjoy that restaurant, also Luce's.

I see that you have been a member since 2006. I joined the club in Nov. 2009.

I do not know if this can help you, but try calling 211. First Call For Help. They perhaps can direct you to resources to get Arimidex.

Have a great evening. Hugs.

• Welga
    Welga Member Posts: 88
    edited January 2010

JO
    So you finally found out Nexium was causing you the back pain, bloating, diahrrhea and constipation. I also have those things but then I've been constipated all my life. Too bad, but also good you can tell it's the Nexium. Thanks for the tip about digestive enzymes I will look for them, but are they also good for your acid reflux? I've heard of them before for bloating, and asked my gastro doc about them and she told me not to waste my money on them (for bloating). Surely will give this a try. Let us know how they work for your acid reflux. Hope it all works out for you

Welga

• Snowbird
    Snowbird Member Posts: 26
    edited January 2010
    Sue-61, thanks for the link to this great news!!!
  • candie1971
    candie1971 Member Posts: 2,467
    edited January 2010

Ronqt, what is 211? edited to add: yes, Cloverleaf is in Caldwell. Maybe we can meet there one nigt...so what is 211?

• otter
    otter Member Posts: 757
    edited January 2010

sunflowers, I'm afraid the only thing I know of that might help lower LDL cholesterol without causing liver problems is ... wait for it .... weight loss.  <sigh>  I am getting tired of hearing all the great things that weight loss can do for us.  I need to get off my butt and get some exercise.

Hugs to all my fellow Arimidexians out there...

otter 

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,472
    edited January 2010

Niacin really raises your good cholestrol; I'm doing this (with my doctors OK), cheaper, less side effects, and more natural than statins. If you take it; get the slow release, NOT the no-flush capsules.

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited January 2010

Let's see... Life is good and you are healthy. Then you get breast cancer. After a lot of bad stuff you learn that Arimidex will keep the cancer from coming back. But Arimidex causes your LDL to go up. You take a statin but it is hard on your liver so you switch to red yeast rice, same liver trouble. Change to Niacin, more of the same. AHA, red wine! Red wine lowers LDL and raises HDL. But wait.. alcohol increases risk of recurrence of breast cancer. Been there, done that... would prefer not to do it again.

What to do? What to do?

pam 

• ronqt1
    edited January 2010

Hi Candie1971, 211 is a number that could provide resources if you need any kind of assistance. Actually, I do not know if it would help regarding Arimidex, however, when I was between a denial of disability and unemployment I was given this number by the Congressman's office and I am married and have a home.  When I called them they asked me if I could pay my utilites, did I have insurance. I was not looking for a handout, but I was desparate for help at the time with a certain situation.  Try the number. I could be wrong, but if you cannot afford the medicine, its worth a chance. I would love to meet you at Cloverleaf.  You can PM me anytime and we can make arrangements.

Stay warm.

• jewels1981
    jewels1981 Member Posts: 10
    edited January 2010

Coonie was that $400 for one month??? Oh my.  i called my insurance and my cap will be $90 a month.  I talked to my pharm and he said to check manufacturer for coupons.  Have you tried that?  Also, here in SW missouri there are non profit agencies that help women pay bills.  Either medical or household.  Do you buy chance have any help in your area?

I will start Arimidex in March and am a bit nervous about the joint and bone pain since i had that lovely SE during chemo and it just took me down to the ground.  Jewels

• mersmom
    mersmom Member Posts: 79
    edited January 2010

I just picked up my first Arimidex that I had to pay for out of pocket. (the first four months were at no cost because we had already met the out of pocket requirement) I have to tell you that from all the different prices listed on this thread I was very afraid when walking up to the counter. To my delight it was only $108.05 !!!

I also picked up a RX for hot flashes,Gabapentin. The pharmasist told me it was a fairly old and trusted medication usually used as an anti seizure medication and also used for nerve pain. It is to be taken at bedtime because it has a tendency to make you sleepy. Could this be the answer to my near total loss of sleep? one could only hope. The flash nerve pain that I am still experiencing from my partial mastectomy could also calm down. That would be nice since my ONC said she has patients that are bothered by them for years and some only for a few weeks following sugery.  I wonder how long it will take for the new meds to kick in ...my husband is a little sad I may go back to wearing a bathrobe instead of my cotton gown.

Off to see Hal Holbrook...Mark Twain one man show. Everyone have a wonderrful weekend.

Blessings to all

Teresa

• lakewoman
    lakewoman Member Posts: 221
    edited January 2010
    Talked to my phamacist today about BP med and have some ideas where those of us with the SE of elevated BP can report this : but have to do a follow through myself before I pass on that info! BUT!!!!!!!!!!!  Did ask him about assistance for those of you who are having difficulty paying for the drug and he suggested ask AstraZeneca,,I googled a few things and found this,,

Support for paying for your AstraZeneca medicine

When you're going through breast cancer diagnosis and treatment, it can be difficult to pay attention to financial concerns that may arise for you and your family. Yet attending to these matters is vital to obtaining the care you need.

AstraZeneca has a range of patient prescription assistance programs that can help patients who do not have prescription drug coverage and who meet other eligibility requirements. Get information about AstraZeneca patient support programs..

.If I can do more research for you let me know .I happen to be a lucky woman who does not have to pay for my maintenance meds>

• lakewoman
    lakewoman Member Posts: 221
    edited January 2010

http://astrazeneca-us.com/help-affording-your-medicines

This site might be easier to find out if one is eligble for assistance.

• candie1971
    edited January 2010

Jo, thanks for the info on Niacin. My Mom's good cholesterol is low and her Dr wants her to take Niacin. Might not be a good idea if it is gonna play with her liver...she is a very healthy 81 yr old!! I am still having problems with my heartburn. I take Ranitidine (sp) at night but it is not helping anymore. I really should go back to the gastro Dr but gosh, I hate to go to the Drs..wow, I see so many.

PJ, a never ending cycle!

Ronqt, Interesting about 211..I am gonna try it.

Mersmom, how was the show?

lakewoman, Astra Zeneca..they only help those who do not have insurance!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,472
    edited January 2010

Niacin is less stress on the liver than statins and doesn't have some of the the potential side effects. I have taken it for several years now (with blood work every six months), had NO problems with the liver, and my 'good' cholestroel is now so high, that the doctor says that the overall number doesn't even matter. So depending on where the balance is between your 'good' and 'bad' cholesteol numbers, if you can control it by diet, what  your family history is (mine is BAD-everyone else in my family is on statins!); those are all things you have to weigh in making your decisions. Always a trade off, isn't it?! Frown

• pj12
    edited January 2010

Local news this AM:  a new breast cancer patient filled her RX for Arimidex at Walgreen's. Three weeks later she realized she had been given and WAS TAKING Aricept (for Alzheimers). 

You can't be too careful.

pam 

• otter
    otter Member Posts: 757
    edited January 2010

It always bothers me when I go to the pharmacy to pick up my prescription drugs, and the pharmacist (or pharmacy tech) hands me some paper sacks that have been stapled shut with gobs of staples.  I have no idea what's in those bags, much less what's in the bottles.  Are they really what the slips of paper say they are?

The reason this ticks me off is because, when I was in vet school, we were taught to always show the client (the animal owner) what we were giving them when we filled a prescription.  Always show them the bottle or tube, and read and explain the label to them, to be sure they know what it is and what they're supposed to do with it.  Don't staple the sack closed until the client sees the bottle and the label (and the pills, if possible).

So, the last time I went to pick up my prescriptions and was handed a bundle of sealed bags with paper slips, I told the pharmacy tech I wanted to see what I was getting.  She paged through the slips of paper and read them to me, but did not remove the staples to show me the prescription bottles.

They are so darn sure of themselves.  I wonder what the error rate really is?

otter (not having a very good day today, even before reading about the Arimidex/Aricept mixup) 

• balsie
    balsie Member Posts: 228
    edited January 2010

Otter~  sorry to hear you are not having a good day.  I hate when that happens because I would rather have a good or great day....anything one of us can do for you...I know probably not. I have been pretty successful lately on letting things go so that I have a good day.....I never thought I would be able to say NO I am not doing that or let me think about that ...it has been awsome for me. 

When I read the post about the arimidex/aricept mixup I went directly to my bottle of arimidex that I just picked up yesterday.  I know what you mean about the overkill on the staples ~geez~

Hope today gets better!

warmly,

Balsie~

• carolehalston
    edited January 2010

My Arimidex comes in a square white bottle that is much too large for the 30 small pills.  They've never been in a blister pack.  My BCBS Basic insurance allows me 34 pills for a monthly copay, but I can't get the 34 because of the pre-packaging from the manufacturer.  So I'm "cheated" out of 48 pills in a year's time.

Walgreen's made a similar mistake with my husband's prescription for Prilosec some years back when Prilosec was a pricey med for GERD.  This is a funny story.  We were visiting BIL and SIL in Decatur, GA.  BIL is a gastroenterologist.  DH commented at the breakfast table that his Prilosec pills looked different.  BIL reached for the pill to examine it and stated, This isn't Pilosec.  What are you taking?  Turns out the pharmacist had given him Prozac!  BIL came up with some samples of Prilosec for DH to take until he got back home.  Walgreen's was very apologetic.  Gave DH a free month's supply of Prilosec.  We received a letter of apology from the company.  Good thing no damage was done.  Taught us to ask questions any time a pill looks unfamiliar. 

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,897
    edited January 2010

I have made it a practice to open my prescription bottles and check the contents before I leave the pharmacy counter. When I pick up from WalMart I actually take a staple remover with me and undo each staple, open each bag and bottle.  I've found a couple of mistakes that way, and frequently had the stock bottle my prescription was filled from brought to me to verify that the medication is correct when the pharmacy changes suppliers and the pills look different.  I've noticed that the people waiting in line behind me often do the same thing! 

Jo--good for you for being extra careful in the hospital!  Statistically there are more medication mistakes made in hospitals than by commercial pharmacies.  

otter--according to a pharmacy organization, the prescription error rate is 1.5% to 4%.  http://www.uspharmacist.com/content/d/health_systems/c/12633/

• pj12
    edited February 2010

4%.... worst case scenario... is a lot of people! 4/100, 40/1000, 400/10,000, 4000/100,000. Wonder how many prescriptions are filled a day in the US? More than 2,000,000 Medicare Part D RXs are filled every day, I just read. Just 2% of 2,000,000 is 20,000 errors! 

We need to stay alert. I am not crazy about Arimidex but sure don't want to take something else!

I think the bubble pack is how our Canadian sisters get it dispensed. Am I  right? And why is that bottle so huge and the pills so little? If the bottle were full I would have to take out a mortgage to buy it!

There are increasing little signs that it might really go generic in the US in June. My fingers are crossed!

pam 

• hmm
    hmm Member Posts: 957
    edited February 2010

When first purchasing Arimidex late in 2008 it was in the bubble pack in my area at some pharmacies.

When picking up anything at the pharmacy I also open and look right there as over the years there have been a few errors.

With everyone else in wishing Arimidex goes generic and I find it very upsetting that it is an issue for so many. There are enough concerns without this being one of them.

Pat

• candie1971
    edited February 2010

I am one of those that checks my meds at the counter at the pharmacy. I read the label and open the bottles. I don't care how many people are behind me. My pharmacy has made mistakes...my DD has had that happen to her. All set to put pill in her mouth and sshe looked at it and thought...this looks weird!, so I am not taking any chances.

• ronqt1
    edited February 2010

When I first went on Arimidex Dec. 1 and received the medication from the manufacturer's bottle, I was actualy short 3 pills. The pharmacy was kind enough to give me the three pills. It was their problem and made good on the shortage of pills which I needed.

• hmm
    hmm Member Posts: 957
    edited February 2010

Ronna- Thanks for sharing that  as I never thought to check the amount in the bottle from the manufacturer ......but I will now!  In hindsight rather naive of me.....

Pat

• pj12
    edited February 2010

Really... at today's rate three pills = $39.00!!!

pam 

• Lowrider54
    Lowrider54 Member Posts: 333
    edited February 2010

Hi - you guys made me think...I got my first precription in September and they have come in a regular precription bottle until in January - it was in the manufacturers bottle - I thought that odd and I have never counted them...guess I had better do that.  They are so tiny to cost so much!

GO GENERIC, GO GENERIC, GO GENERIC!!!!