Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

My Favorite Childhood Memory is.....

Options

Comments

• footprintsangel
    footprintsangel Member Posts: 35,657
    edited May 2009
    Options

Grandpa making Thankgiving dinner even though we had nothing, The family

got together that day. We were one family then.

• Deb-from-Ohio
    Deb-from-Ohio Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2009
    Options

LOL my favorite is when I was smaller, I seen this ad for Hair dye for men...the ad went on and on and said how great it covered the grey. So I ordered my Dad a free trial.  Well a few weeks later I came home from school, my Dad was there looking all mad, he told me to go to my room..He made me sit in there for like a half hour worrying what I had done, and wondering if I was going to get a spanking...I had no idea why he was mad...Then he comes in laughing his rear off holding this box of hair dye...he thought it was hilarious to make me think I was in trouble...Now that my Dad is gone it's even more enjoyable to think about it, he thought he was so funny! LOL

• Makratz
    Makratz Member Posts: 1,605
    edited May 2009
    Options

Foot, not only do I have some of the shells, now I walk the same beaches with my parents and my children and find new shells.  We are very lucky to have a family house on Cape Cod and we LOVE it!!  We have been collecting shells for generations!

• Makratz
    Makratz Member Posts: 1,605
    edited May 2009
    Options

Deb, My sisters and I would call Sy Sperling (??) from the hair club for men.  We would order info for my dad!  He got a kick out of it!

• footprintsangel
    edited May 2009
    Options

That is wonderful, I think of all the beaches I was on growing up in the Air Force.

From Calif to Wash DC by car and Japen, Hawaii, etc, We didn't have to worry

so much about oil spills or broken bottles  in the beach water. Maybe you dont

have it there, But I have seen some beach like that.

• footprintsangel
    edited June 2009
    Options

To ride on a big ship to Japan, and singing london bridges falling down

and they did I was 2

• ghety
    ghety Member Posts: 107
    edited June 2009
    Options

catching fireflies putting them in baby food jars

• lexislove
    lexislove Member Posts: 277
    edited June 2009
    Options

Going to the beach and catching baby crabs.

My brother and I would fill our buckets and put the crabs in them. Before going home we would let them go.

• smithlme
    smithlme Member Posts: 383
    edited June 2009
    Options

Summer evenings playing kickball, baseball, Red Light-Green Light, tag, Hide-And-Go-Seek and Red Rover with the neighborhood kids until dark. Then we played headlight tag with approaching cars. Not many cars...small town!

Linda

• my3girls
    my3girls Member Posts: 1,291
    edited June 2009
    Options

I can relate to so many of these wonderful memories!! I remember catching lightning bugs and putthing them in an old jar, with holes in the lid. And also playing the same summer games, red light green light, or statues..and hide and seek, at night. I also remember the parents sitting out on the porches after dark to stay cool in the hot summer....and listening to all of the neighborhood kids playing......

What great memories......Keep sharing!!

Lisa

• footprintsangel
    edited June 2009
    Options

Lisa, Did you play kick the can? Mother may I?  Then when the street lights came on we

went home, Unless it was vacation time. My Grandpa was poor and used flea soap bar to

dye his hair.

• bkc
    bkc Member Posts: 31
    edited June 2009
    Options

Crawling onto the roof of the barn and laying down to watch the stars with my brothers and younger sister.

The smell of  Mom's homemade chocolate chip cookies

Swinging out on the rope swing to drop into the swimming hole

Or my very favorite staying up late at night telling ghost stories with my siblings and cousins and seeing who could tell the scariest tale.

• smithlme
    smithlme Member Posts: 383
    edited June 2009
    Options

Going to my great-aunt and uncles home in Napa and pumping water into their house, from the well. My grandfather coming to visit and bringing 3 dozen donuts! What a treat for us four kids. Going to Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk and getting to go on the Merry-Go-Round. Having my own garden on the side of the house that I got to plant and tend all by myself...

Linda

• lvtwoqlt
    lvtwoqlt Member Posts: 765
    edited June 2009
    Options

I can relate to seeing someone come home from Viet Nam. When we got the call that my Uncle would be flying in that morning, my mom kept me and my siblings out of school, called my dad's work and told them to give him the message when he arrived to come back home. We dressed up and all went to the airport to see him get off the plane and kiss the ground. The whole family (uncles, aunts and cousins) went to Grandma and Grandpa's house for 'thanksgiving dinner' in April. We had bologna sandwiches, chips, and fruit because the parents didn't have time to cook. Recently my sister was in college for early childhood education and one of the projects she had to do was to write a childrens book. She wrote and illustrated a book on about the day Uncle Galen came home

Sheila.

• footprintsangel
    edited June 2009
    Options

Collecting popsicle stick to make houses and churchs out of them we soak them,

But never had to worry about germs as much. Til the measles came. I remember that!

• footprintsangel
    edited June 2009
    Options

Making alittle extra money by returning pop bottle, We need that money

• my3girls
    edited June 2009
    Options

I remember collecting the pop bottles for that extra money! As kids we would go around and collect them..take them in, get our money and go to the corner store that had penny candy! Remember candy that was only 1 cent?  We would buy a bag full! Those were great days...walking back in the hot summer sun!

• Maeve
    Maeve Member Posts: 11
    edited June 2009
    Options

I remember my sister and I used to take our chickens for a walk in our dolls prams, her chicken was called Henerietta and mine was called Pointy Head (Not sure what I was thinking naming the poor thing that - I was aged 6).  We used to smuggle them in behind our parents back and race around the street giggling at what we were doing.  We still laugh at this memory today... Mum and Dad have also let us know they new exactly what we were doing!

• my3girls
    edited June 2009
    Options

Maeve...what an ADORABLE memory! Thanks for sharing!

I visited Ireland back in 1982....fell in LOVE!! So beautiful there!

Keep sharing ladies...I love reading each and every one!

• footprintsangel
    edited June 2009
    Options

I remember my brothers covering be with sand(except my head) and My parents

didn't see me. We were in Hawaii living on base in 1965 not very many hotels there.

Alot of coconut trees and beach. Was one of the funnest places we were stationed

at, I even did the hula.

• bkc
    bkc Member Posts: 31
    edited June 2009
    Options

Oh my gosh. I remember collecting pop bottles and cashing them in to buy the next coke.

I remember when I was about six and decided to run away from home. I packed a brown paper bag with panties(like five pair) and one green flipflop and my Miss Molly doll and walked to the corner and hid behind a bush and waited for Mom to come after me. She never did and finally when it was getting dark I went back and sat on the porch. Mom finally brought me a peanut-butter and jelly sandwich cause running away made you very hungry. I waited until she was in the kitchen washing dishes to sneak upstairs to bed.

• footprintsangel
    edited June 2009
    Options

Eating lemons off the lemon tree in our back yard, And walking up the hill

on Easter day(there was a cross up there) We would have Easter service

as one town, No one was fight about different religions then, They just enjoyed

the company.

• mybeautifulsister
    mybeautifulsister Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2009
    Options

Hard to pick just one with  so many with my 2 cousins, but a favorite was going to there house for the weekend and walking to the corner store where they had large round barrells filled with sour pickles, just the anticipation while walking there our mouths would fill up with saliva thinking about that sour pickle, we would stand on the stool and roll up our sleeves and stick our arms in that pickle juice to find the biggest pickles,our shirts would we soaked with pickle juice and  by the time we would get back to their house we could barely even take a bite because our mouths were so puckered!!! We would laugh and laugh and dare each other who would take the first bite!!!! Still to this day we spend lots of time together still laughing about our childhood and the those sour pickles!!! I don`t think we ever ate more than one bite each we loved being together, this saturday we are going to Boston to see Diana Krall live!!! Always have so much fun now in our 50`s and still having silly silly times!!! Maybe i`ll bring some pickles Saturday!!!!

• footprintsangel
    edited June 2009
    Options

Doing jobs to get my Brownie uniform paid for.

• footprintsangel
    edited June 2009
    Options

Dressing my cat up in doll clothes, Was a very tame cat.

• my3girls
    edited June 2009
    Options

mybeautifulsister..bring the pickles..you will both get a good laugh!!

reading about picking lemons..reminded me of another great memory...

In my neighborhood..we had a cherry tree, apple tree, pear tree, plum tree and a grape vine...and all of this was in Ohio!! I thought it was normal..but wow..it was such a treat when the neighbors would say..go ahead you can pick some!! The cherries were my favorite..a bit sour!! I also liked the plums..but those..we had to sneak! lol

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited June 2009
    Options

On the Jewish holiday of Passover, we have a ritual dinner called a Seder. My favorite memory is of the Seders in my great-aunts house with ALL the family - we were probably around 40 people each time. The whole family together wa fantastic, and our favorite part was the lively singing at the end.

These things are meant to be passed along. Last year, my daughter had a baby a week before Passover, so I had my family and her in-laws for the Seder - 23 people in all. The singing lasted until about 3:00 am! Now my children and grandchildren can start making memories.

Leah

• my3girls
    edited June 2009
    Options

What a nice memory Leah....I agree, our memories and traditions are made to be passed down from generation to generation!

Lisa

• footprintsangel
    edited June 2009
    Options

My Grandfather building me a playhouse out of wood scarps, He made garage doors

I couldnt tell they were scraps

• footprintsangel
    edited June 2009
    Options

Girl Scout Camp, Singing by the campfire and telling ghost stories.