Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

My Favorite Childhood Memory is.....

Options

Comments

• footprintsangel
    footprintsangel Member Posts: 35,657
    edited July 2009
    Options

All we got were the worms and sparklers on the 4th, We could not afford

anything else.

• lynnea
    lynnea Member Posts: 32
    edited July 2009
    Options

I liked all those old "yard" games you were talking about. How abot the candy when we were young?  Candy cigarettes, pop rocks, those dots on paper strips, wax bottles filled with syrup, wax lips,dumdum pops, pixie stixs, necco wafers,good and plenty,candy necklaces, sweet tarts, turkish taffy bars??? Think of any others?      Lynne

• footprintsangel
    edited July 2009
    Options

Look bars and alot of penny candy, And its not there anymore. and jawbackers were

too big, My brother would break them with a hammer.

• footprintsangel
    edited July 2009
    Options

making a swing out of rope, a piece of wood and a tree

was the best swing in the world.

• footprintsangel
    edited July 2009
    Options

We would make covers for our school books out of paper sacks

and then decorated them.

• footprintsangel
    edited July 2009
    Options

Making puppets out of socks

• arnie
    arnie Member Posts: 922
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Swinging on the vines in the woods....Laughing   Running through rows and rows of corn!  lol
  • footprintsangel
    edited July 2009
    Options

I remember that Arnie thanks

what about learning to swim, My brother aways dunked me.

But I didnt care it was 104 out sometimes and the lifeguard

was always there. Not now.

• bkc
    bkc Member Posts: 31
    edited July 2009
    Options

Hey Arnie I remember that now. Following the cow trails just to see where they would go.

• footprintsangel
    edited July 2009
    Options

And as Girl scouts we put white plaster in the foot maker to get their prints make for a badge.

and I ran threw the lemon trees, I love to hear this , Thanks bkc and arnie

• bkc
    bkc Member Posts: 31
    edited July 2009
    Options

Oh I remember stacking encyclopedias on the kitchen counter to stand on to reach the homemade dewberry wine my dad kept in the top shelf. Would take a little sip then fill it back with water so Dad didn't know. He always marked those bottles with a pencil I guess to make sure my older brothers didn't get into it. It always tasted the same even watered down. Wine always gives me a headache if I try to drink it now. Must be payback.

• lovemyfamilysomuch
    lovemyfamilysomuch Member Posts: 762
    edited July 2009
    Options

These memories were so fun to read and I had many of the same wonderful childhood memories!  My sister and I were "tomboys" and my mom collected green stamps and we got baseball bats, gloves, and a "two man pup tent" that we set up in the yard. So much fun!  Also beatle cards, riding our bikes to the 7-11, being the first at the gate in the am for the swimming pool, being scared to jump off the "high dive", collecting bubblegum wrappers and sending in for prizes, it was a wonderful, innocent time.  Thank you so much for starting this thread!  It took my mind off the beast for a while.

Ellie

• arnie
    arnie Member Posts: 922
    edited July 2009
    Options

Love the plaster story...lol    I used to love to get lost in the corn rows...  loved the woods too and never did get poison ivy...my best friend did though.    We used to eat while playing because there was a wealth of blackberries, grapes, pears, peaches and apples... loved  eating the pea pods right out of the field too! 

I really enjoy reading everyone's stories too... it does bring back a "simpler" time...

• footprintsangel
    edited July 2009
    Options

I remember  taking a charm class at Sears. My mom did the same, but

she collected and got our Christmas presents that way. Using a key to

tighten my roller-skates. On hot days running threw the sprinklers and selling

lemonade to get what we needed.

• footprintsangel
    edited July 2009
    Options

Making cookies with my mom and brother'

And taking them to older people.

Game on sidewalk, step on a crack you break your mother back.

and then step on a crack you break the devils back.

• Estepp
    Estepp Member Posts: 2,966
    edited July 2009
    Options

Mom making me walk with 4 books on my head down the hallway WITH heals on ... BEFORE I could wear High Heels in public.... :)

• O3132W
    O3132W Member Posts: 15
    edited July 2009
    Options

What a good idea!  My favorite memory is < age 6 ,stripping down to my underpants and playing in the rain with my two sisters and friends.   Or picking  wild strawberries around the railroad track, how sweet and there for the taking.   Or climbing on the ice truck to get small pieces of ice to eat on a hot day.  Hide and seek and hop-scotch brings me a smile, this is the time that it got dark too soon and had to stop playing and go inside  Picking up empty coke bottles and selling them to the corner grocery store for 5 cents each and feeling really rich.  Thanks, made this old 72 year old smile for a few minutes.

• Mary22
    Mary22 Member Posts: 428
    edited July 2009
    Options

My favorite childhood memory would be, the 4TH OF JULY! We had a huge family reunion in Ohio every year. Those of us from Michigan would meet at our house and all drive up in a group. When we got close to Fremont, we would stop at Zip's, a local diner, for breakfast. When we finally arrived at my great aunt's everything was perfect. BBQ, and all the trimmings. My favorite was my great aunt's "white pie' yummo, delish. We would play baseball, volleyball and have soooo much fun.

Also Christmas, before 1977. Not because of the presents, but because we had a family reunion on the other side of the family. I loved seeing everyone and playing w/ all my cousins. I lost track of them after my mom died.

How fun to think back to nicer times. Thank-you

• my3girls
    my3girls Member Posts: 1,291
    edited July 2009
    Options

I am so happy so many of you are enjoying this thread. I know for me, when I am troubled or down, sometimes going back to those "special, innocent" times, makes me feel so much better.

I can relate to soooooo many of these great memories. Estepp...my mom made all of us walk with books on our heads...even my brothers. But it wasn't for walking in heels...just for good posture!

I love the fact that I made...03132W smile!  That's the goal!

I too remember taking in soda bottles for money.  We would collect that money, or have a lemonade stand, or just search our sofa cushions for coins, so we could go to the corner store and buy PENNY candy!! We would get a bag full...and then make a tent out of blankets and plastic pipes or branches...and sleep outside in our tents eating our candy!!

keep them coming...I love reading them!

Lisa

• footprintsangel
    edited July 2009
    Options

We would make long little stick and play pick up sticks

or take pop bottle caps and see who could make them the tallest

• footprintsangel
    edited July 2009
    Options

I remember watching American Band Stand with Dick Clark, on black and white TV

• footprintsangel
    edited July 2009
    Options

Having Sunday lunch out, Hamburgers were 3 for 1.00 on Sunday

• my3girls
    edited July 2009
    Options

we had a black and white tv also.  So when "The wizard of Oz" was on...we would go to my very best friend's home...be and my 3 little sisters/brothers and watch it there..because they had a COLORED tv!! The part when she lands in oz...was magical!!

• my3girls
    edited July 2009
    Options

Here is one that came "back to life for me".  When I was small, my daddy would take me and my younger siblings (I had 3 older, but they were "older" at the time) to the B&K ROOTBEER STAND! Did any of you have those near your childhood home?  You would pull up in your car, and someone would come to your car and take your order. Rootbeer floats were the best! They also had food.  Well, my nephew is in from Arizona..and we have a rootbeer stand near my home now. So, the other night, my sister (his mom) and I took him there...it's so cool..the rootbeer is the best! 

• footprintsangel
    edited July 2009
    Options

We  had A&W Rootbeer stands and they would bring it to you, Sometimes on rollerskates.

We loved to just sit and watch them. Maybe it is like yours my3girls

• lynnea
    lynnea Member Posts: 32
    edited July 2009
    Options

Cutting out the outfits for my paperdolls-almost more fun than actually playing with them. I was kind of anal retentive!! Later my sister and I would play barbies for hours. Making clothes and "furniture" for them. I used to "color" their hair with washable magic markers.

• footprintsangel
    edited July 2009
    Options

Taking old magazines and cutting out the pictures we love

and glue them in a notebook

• my3girls
    edited July 2009
    Options

Does anyone remember the "Betsy McCall" paper doll?  She was in McCall's magazine, if I remember correctly?  I loved cutting her out and looking in my mother's magazine to get her newest outfit and read about her latest adventure.  Those were like gold to me.  I kept them in a large manilla envelope!

• footprintsangel
    edited July 2009
    Options

I remember having to walk along way to school in the snow.

kids have buses now. There was a big T store by Thirty and

it reminds me of Walmart.

Captain Kangroo

• Estepp
    Estepp Member Posts: 2,966
    edited July 2009
    Options
    watching All in the Family with daddy.. and seeing him laugh until he could not breathe... priceless