Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

My Favorite Childhood Memory is.....

Options

Comments

• jezzy234
    jezzy234 Member Posts: 127
    edited July 2009
    Options

We camped every year in August.  My dad made a camoflagued table tent and we had a tent big enough to fit all eight of us.  We had bed bunks, an oven we used to bake over the coals and lamps to light our way at night.  At night we read classics as long as the lamp or candles would last.  I loved to listen to the different voices reading our stories:  White Fang, The Call of the Wild, Cannery Row, Romeo and Juliet.  I don't remember all the books we read during that month of August, but I remember the voices of my sisters and brothers, Mom and Dad reading the books, bringing them to life.  All their personalities enchancing the story line, bringing the characters to life.  A great time.  

• bkc
    bkc Member Posts: 31
    edited July 2009
    Options

Oh I remember the clip clop sound of my Moms playing cards as she played solitary every evening while I was trying to go to sleep. It was a quite little sound that I could here from my room at the top of the stairs.

• footprintsangel
    footprintsangel Member Posts: 35,657
    edited July 2009
    Options

I remember going to see my Grandma in a big house to me, And Grandpa built garage doors.

one day he built me a play house out of scraps of wood, I thought it was the most beautiful

playhouse any child could have.

• arnie
    arnie Member Posts: 922
    edited July 2009
    Options

Captain Kangaroo!!!  lol   Yep...loved that guy...   Watching Lawrence Welk and Red Skelton with the family...  My dad singing us girls, "Goodnight ladies" every night before bed.... sigh...

• footprintsangel
    edited July 2009
    Options

We I was young, We would got to 6:00 church group for kids on Friday

Got a free candy bar for going.

• footprintsangel
    edited July 2009
    Options

How about Mighty Mouse, He was my hero

• bkc
    bkc Member Posts: 31
    edited July 2009
    Options

Oh Mighty Mouse. I thought I was Wonder Woman and could leap 2 twin beds in a single bound. Ended up with a jambed finger but I did clear both beds. My siblings still make fun of me about that.

• footprintsangel
    edited July 2009
    Options

How about freeze tag.

• kbugmom
    kbugmom Member Posts: 8,310
    edited July 2009
    Options

I remember eating out of town. I had something with gravy and when parents werent looking yes I licked the plate clean. lol I was little not sure how young.

• dkhancock1948
    dkhancock1948 Member Posts: 181
    edited July 2009
    Options

I was a daddy's girl and I always wanted to be with him.  He was a farmer.  I had to stay in the back of the truck when he planted.  We had a field that a creek ran along the edge.  On the other side of the road was an area where people could fish.  My dad told me if I got a catfish, he would take it off for me.  Well, I caught a catfish and waited for him to get back to the end of the field where the truck was.  The field was a 1/4 mile long and he went slow when he was planting.  By the time he got to the end where I was, the fish was dead when he took it off the hook.

• footprintsangel
    edited July 2009
    Options

I love to help my Grandma cook, So she bought my a Betty Crocker oven for

kids, it really worked.

• footprintsangel
    edited July 2009
    Options

Saving my pennys for the Popicle Man

• dkhancock1948
    edited July 2009
    Options

My mother's birthday was a day before mine and halloween is the day after my birthday.  My birthday seemed to get lost.  My aunt (my mother's sister) always made me feel special - she baked whatever cake I said I wanted - even if she never made one like that before.  She always sewed something for me.  The one thing I remember that she sewed was a black corduroy jacket.

• footprintsangel
    edited July 2009
    Options

I love to remember going to the beach and looking for shells

and there was not very much trash, broken bottles. You

could walk the beach and play in the water. I also loved

to help cover my brother in sand.

• footprintsangel
    edited July 2009
    Options

I always loved to visit this one old lady, She was alone

and shared cookies with me, She was very poor. I helped

her that day and she wanted to feed me, I was going to

and as we sat down to eat, I went to wash me hand and she had

made the hamburger out of Skippy dog food, I ask her for water

and slipped it in a napkin. She never ask my and I alway brought

thing to eat with me.

• footprintsangel
    edited July 2009
    Options

Working to get my Girl Scout Badges, Helping and learning alot.

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited July 2009
    Options

Waterskiing

• dkhancock1948
    edited July 2009
    Options

My brother always got me a pigeon in the spring, usually one that fell out of its nest.  I would feed it bread w/milk.  They usually flew away when they were old enough.  This one time, I tried to nurse a baby back to health and it was making progress.  Then, for some reason, the pigeon died.  I remember being so crushed.  I ran to my mother crying.  While she was hugging me, she cried, too.

Not until we are parents or grandparents or just close to young children, do we realize we hurt for the child so much that our tears flow with theirs.

• footprintsangel
    edited July 2009
    Options

I remember the special way we played house,

I didn't have alot so we used boxes and branches

It was alot of fun.

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482
    edited July 2009
    Options

two comnents.  dh, i never knew a pain greater than when my 19 yr old daughter broke up with her first real boyfriend ...later in life we laughed that i hurt more than she did over that one!   and my fav memory ... sitting at dad's feet when he came home on fri night after work .,.. late ... and mom made him cheese omeleette...i'd sit on floor and he'd give me a bite egery 3rd or so ... i am one of six but that was a time when it was just me nad my dad ... thanks for putting this forum up so i was able to remember this and have  asmile and a tear ... both lovingly.

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited July 2009
    Options

Girl Scout camp!

Leah

• Rose47
    Rose47 Member Posts: 33
    edited July 2009
    Options

Best Memory Is Christmas Morning!!

Dad and I would discovered that when Santa left on Christmas Eve- there was small pieces of candy on our front porch because Santa had a hole in his sack - ha!  Seems it was a few years that Mrs. Claus didn't sew that hole up.Smile

• my3girls
    my3girls Member Posts: 1,291
    edited July 2009
    Options

oh...such great memories....thanks ladies!! I have gotten goose bumps..laughs, and tears....

I am glad so many of you are enjoying it. I know for me...it helps me to go back...and just slip away for a bit.

xoxo

Lisa

• spar2
    spar2 Member Posts: 3,631
    edited July 2009
    Options

Getting to spend nights with my nanny and her sewing for me and spoiling me.

packing a picnic lunch and taking off on my bicycle all day

laying under a shade tree reading a good book (nancy drew)

Going to Chickasaw national park and spending the whole day hiking and wading with my BF

The washita river split our land into, we use to rowboat up and down the river and when it was shallow from no rain, wade up and down it catching fish with our hands in the shallows

Daddy use to have a cable car if the river was up he rode the cable car across the river, going was fast and fun but you had to pull yourself back across.

As you can tell I was a tomboy, we had a tree house, I carried a gun and could shoot a turtles head off, daddy use to say I could shoot better than him.  We were poor but I didn't know it and that is how we got our food, shooting squirrls and catching fish.  It was a good life. 

• lvtwoqlt
    lvtwoqlt Member Posts: 765
    edited July 2009
    Options

Spending a couple of weeks with my grandma and Grandpa Reeder the summer I was 8 and she taught my sister and I how to sew up patchwork pillows for our dolls and I created a rag doll out of muslin (I didn't know the type of fabric then) that I drew the face on with crayons and made clothes for it. It was shaped like a gingerbread boy but I drew it, cut it out and sewed it up on my grandmother's treadle sewing machine. They only turned the TV on to watch the evening news, then it went off. We (my brother, sister and I ) spent all day outside, climbing the old apple tree and the peach trees that they had in the 'orchard'. playing hide and seek in the corn field and barn.

Sheila

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited July 2009
    Options

The smell of salt water and the sound of the waves hitting the beach bring back the week we spent every summer in Grand Isle.  We went went another family and rented the whole front row of cabins facing the beach. My Grandfather and the Dad of the other family worked the Tarpon Rodeo while the rest of us spent day after day swimming, collecting shells, hermit crabs, crabbing and just having fun. At the end of the day we would boil the crabs we caught, chase sand crabs in the dark, walk along the surf in the dark with a flashlight to see what we could find, then pass out in bed and start over the next day. I haven't been down to Grand Isle in years, but still love the beach and find it the most relaxing place to be. 

I have many wonderful childhood memories, but this was the first to come to mind so I thought I'd share......

• footprintsangel
    edited July 2009
    Options

Going to Grandpas for Easter and he always put change in his

chair and sofa he would tell us, " Grandma hasnt vacum the sofa or

chairs yet. We love it! (We didnt have alot of money in the family

anyway)

• dkhancock1948
    edited July 2009
    Options

Debbie:  That is so cool for your Grandpa to do.  I have never thought of that.  I did go and buy packages of different stones and "glass" pebbles for my grandchildren to "find" in my rocks.  They still look and find some (I did this 2/3 years ago) and ask if they can keep the rocks.  I need to buy more.

• footprintsangel
    edited July 2009
    Options

Like you Debbie, Sharing what we had with others.

• footprintsangel
    edited July 2009
    Options

Kool aid stands