Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2010

Gosh, I better more carefully read Warrior's article! I was just looking at her cute picture, lol. 

Very good article! I must have "two working copies" as they told me I was an "extreme" metabolizer.... I have also noticed I "process" anesthesia really quickly. I pop right awake. I wonder if it's the same mechanism at work? 

Thanks Kath!  Thanks Liz, for the review which encouraged me to really read it. ! 

I agree with Anne, my saddle bags were sucked off! very nice and slim there now. PTL!!! 

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited February 2010

I got a date for NOLA  is March 23 ,Is any one else going to be there around then? Going for Stage 1. I was excited now that I have the date I got nervous. I am just Brca 2 positive so I am having preventative mast and reconstruction. In all the excitement I forgot which doctor I am going to have. Keep me in your prayers

• Springtime
    edited February 2010

Sally, congratulations on your date! Let us know your Doc and if what hospital you are at. I added you to the listing above, and you and CAT will be there for her stage 1 at the same time, and Nordy and BCDiva just a few days after you for their Stage 2!! 

Sounds like a PahhhhhhhhhhhhhTeeee  in NOLA!!! :) 

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited February 2010

Alright I am drain FREE !!! The hardest part to removing them was the stitches, once that was done it is a piece of cake ;).

• Cattail
    Cattail Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2010

TainerTam made it through surgery at Baptist Hospital and is in ICU, has been In ICU for over 24 hours.  I'm her friend Cathy who is here to help take care of her.  Before ICU she was in recover for 6 hours because there weren't any beds available in ICU.  Now they aren't moving her to a regular hospital room because there aren't any beds available there.  Tammy needs someone to tell us how in the heck do we get her out of ICU.  We're not digging on the nursing staff.  If anyone has any advice we'd love to hear it.

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited February 2010
    Good for you Jamie!!  It is a great feeling!! Are you wearing your Spanx or Assests?
  • SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited February 2010

Spring and Bettye, so sad to hear of your losses.   We are so busy at work now that the wedding season is in full swing that I have not been able to keep up with this thread at all, and I'm sorry for not expressing my sympathies to you sooner.  

Warrior, thanks for your work on that story.  I had the test and I metabolize Tamoxifen very well, which is why my oncologist is allowing me to continue on it despite having had a full hysterectomy over a year ago. 

Marcia, your story was great too--I had never seen it before. 

KC, my understanding is the opposite of what you were told.  When we are low on estrogen, our bodies want to build up fat deposits because the fat produces more estrogen.  That's why post-menopausal women tend to gain weight, especially in the upper abdomen.  I noticed it within 3-4 months of my hysterectomy and I was gaining a pound a month until I signed on with my nutritionist and personal trainer.   I was not eating often enough, which was slowing down my metabolism so that I could not lose weight despite cutting out all sorts of foods, including meat.

I had surgical removal of a seroma which had persisted for four months.  It had actually progressed to what is known as a pseudobursa, because my body had worked to isolate it with scar tissue.  My first surgeon wouldn't touch it and was hoping that it would just go away, (they don't) which is why I turned to NOLA.  Dr. DellaCroce removed it for me.  I've heard that it's bloody and messy to remove them, but once it was gone, the feeling that my abdomen was going to burst finally resolved and I felt a lot better.

I'm glad to read that everyone made it though their surgeries this week.  I've missed all of you!  I hope Tammy gets moved to a regular room soon.  Jaimie, glad your drains are all gone. I'll bet you feel so much better now.

I haven't heard whether my friend will be able to have a consult with Dr. D the week of Stephanie's stage II, so the timing of my next trip to NOLA is still up in the air. 

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited February 2010

Definitely!!!  I would love to meet you too, and would also love to have you attend an EnCourage meeting in Torrance one of these days.  Do you know where you are staying after you leave Fairway?

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited February 2010

Cattail and Trainertam...hang in there!  The whole 'ICU' thing..............It really has more to do w/ pt :nurse ratio than how sick  she is or her location if you can wrap your head around that and think of it a bit differently.  I do think people hear the word ICU and it evokes PANIC!  At St Charles perhaps it is not called ICU BUT you have 1 to 1 nursing care initially and they monitor you very closely....they have to watch the doppler/perfusion of the new breast flap(s) frequently..... so YES it is closer monitoring.  In essence you receive ICU care just maybe not in one big open room as many ICU's are set up still.   It really is OK if she has to stay a bit longer....just means her nurse may only have 1 other pt as opposed to 4 or 5......Hope that makes sense!  I know I was really impressed at SCSH because most ,if not all, of the nurses had pretty extensive ICU experience and many worked still part time or were part time at St Charles and had other gigs at Oschner or elsewhere....BUT their background experience was adult icu and in one of the big reputable hospitals....so they knew their stuff.  As do other places D, S and T practice out of.

Sorry for all you ladies w/ recent losses.  I learned last wkend a relative by marriage, Kay,  now has more mets.  She's a long time BC survivor(x2)-yet she only had unilateral mastectomy/recon w/ implant in the late 70's early 80's?  (and forgive me but WOW!  things have changed!) plus liver CA survivor-basically she's been dealing w/ ALL almost 25-30 yrs so I guess that makes her a long term stage 4 survivor?......her last scan showed multiple tumors and a big one in the liver.  She is my 2nd oldest sister's SIL, closet but duuuh! lesbian....NOT THat it matters!  I love her just absolutely HATE that she doesn't feel comfortable enough or she is so stifled by my sisters family. At any rate my sister is freaked.  Gosh love my sibs BUT ugggg this is the same sib who Oh my -she just doesn't get life outside her bubble!  ....I love gabbing w/ Kay more than my sister but I still continue to be amazed..... people just really don't always know what to say do they?  Think I will wait until the drama dies down then call Kay for lunch. 

Going to dinner and to symphony in FTW tonight w/ friend- yay!  first time in a while!  Have a great wkend ladies.  Feb is almost over!  YAY!  come on spring! 

• Warrior517
    Warrior517 Member Posts: 240
    edited February 2010

Thanks girlfriends for all the kind words and excitement for my 15 minutes of fame!! Good recap,Liz. Do note the last paragraph in the paper does say that Dr. Goetz is not quite as convinced about the CYP2D6 test and reoccurances on Tamoxifen. So, if you are a poor metabolizer, think twice about your next step. This just goes to show you how quickly information is changing in our world. xo

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited February 2010

Tammy & Cattail I hope things are going better at the Hospital today.

Sara...B...Healed- I will be thinking of you all this coming week.  Praying for a perfect surgery.

Pam

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited February 2010

hi gals, Its Saturday at 4:00 and I finally got removed from ICU. I t has been horrible. I took all day Friday for me to bounce back from the 12 hours I was under. And although Cathy and I were promised a place for her to stay, no one knew what we were talking about! I had "Nurse Ratchet" in ICU and she did several things that really wasn't right. All I can say is those of you who get to stay at the center you are so blessed.

I Love Dr. Del A Croce, I told him he was rock star in so many womens eyes, and everyone who has seen the new breasts are amazed. My hips/upper butt region is sore, but not unbearable. They took my pain pump on Friday, so I've been in pain quite a few times, and it took forever for "Nurse Ratchet" to bring me my pain pill, in her eyes I really wasn't an ICU patient, so I was low priority.

I met Dr. Sullivan (model material) today, he said if I feel well enough I can leave the hospital tomoorrow, that's the plan, Cathy can take better care of me anyway.

Thanks for your prayers and good wishes, I'vwe never been afraid, just disappointed in the hospital treatment.

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited February 2010

Hi everyone,

Just discharged and back at the hotel.  Feeling pretty good with no major issues.  I have some blistering and my ab incision is a bit bleedy/weepy.  Hopefully that'll be on the mend by Monday when I go for my post op.

Loved the nurses, especially Erin, Linda and Lisa.  The Center is beautiful.  I met Dr. Trahan on rounds and I liked him a lot--very nice and friendly.   Saw Dr. D once after surgery and Dr. S twice on rounds. 

Everything is very swollen.  Like everyone else I am already looking forward to drain removal.  My breast drains are putting out very little so I'm hoping they may get pulled at post op.

It was great having holtbolt there to share the experience.  That really made things so much nicer.

Hope everyone is doing fine!

Suzanne

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited February 2010

Tammy great to hear you are doing fine!  Sorry about nurse Ratchet--that's awful!  Great that you can get out early.  I would too if I were you.  Glad to hear you don't have a lot of pain!!!

Suzanne

• Cat1
    Cat1 Member Posts: 128
    edited February 2010

Tammy - glad to hear your doing better and will get out soon., 

Sally - Great to hear that I'll have a partner for the same day.  Let us know your details and I'll PM you soon to share info.

• Jaimieh
    edited February 2010

Tammy~ Sorry about nurse Rachet.  When you go back or the center asks PLEASE, PLEASE tell them and nurse Rachet will have a new assignment.  These doctor's are big $ for the hospital and there is no excuse to be treated the way you where treated. 

HellofromCT~ Glad to hear you are doing well.  I adore Erin and her thick accent....she is such a doll. 

Well everything went well with drain removal after having to almost dig for the stitches.  I was that swollen at the incision.  I was immediately puckered at the opposite end and I am compression the best that I can.  My incision site is still itching, burning like crazy but it is nice to be able to bend my legs and get my gait back.  I honestly looked like a penguin.  I did take a pain pill before I removed the drains and that was a VERY bad idea.  I couldn't focus very well and I started to feel sick after about 45 min. so I just went to bed early.  I went to target to buy the compression pants and I bought a pair but I am not sure it is the best pair for me (they were $28).  I am just worried that it is not going to be enough direct pressure on the incision site :(

• jessicav
    jessicav Member Posts: 59
    edited February 2010

Hi ladies-

Going for my first time to New Orleans and for my consult at NOLA. Where is best place to stay?

Not too expensive...near restaurants...but safe and nice. Any general advice? Starting my journey on a possible breast reconstruction revision.Feel free to PM.

Blessings to all,

Jessica

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited February 2010

Jaimieh - Hooray for no more drains!!  Don't you feel like a new woman? -KC

• plainjane64
    edited February 2010

Congrats all of you on the other side!  Trainer.....sorry about your Nurse Ratchett experience-yikes!  Suzanne, better to have issues whilst you're in town.  Make sure they see it and address before you leave.... ok sorry you probably know this!

I can't believe I forgot WARRIOR AND MARCIA s articles!  great, loved reading about both of you!  Warrior you are so photogenic!  But of course equally lovely w/o any bit of pretense in person! my Dec stage 2 pal!

I can't believe I forgot to ask for the test last monday when I saw the med onc....

Marcia....Did I read something about a previous playboy bunny?Smile Oh MY!

One of my favorite restaurants= simply fondue...OMG... my friend did cowtown marathon today- I did NOT but ate as if I did.

goodnight!

• sarabhealed
    sarabhealed Member Posts: 64
    edited February 2010

Holtbolt, CT and Trainer Tam--I'm glad you are all out and doing well...sorry Tam about the ICU thing--the last thing you need is more trauma or drama, so take care of yourself. I leave tomorrow and have my pre-op on Monday afternoon. If I see any patients at the center I'll call out "Holt? CT? TrainerTam? and they will think I'm nuts--If you see me call out "Sarabehealed!" and they will think you're a faith healer!"

Happy--safe travels to New York--I'll say a prayer for you when I'm going under...I'm sure we'll both do great!

Great articles Warrior and Marcia--I echo the kudos on the great picture Warrior...

Congrats to Swastew and Jamieh on the drains out...I am so not looking forward to them again. How long did you have them in for and were they butt, hip, or ab? (I know I could look back, but that's easier said than done!) 

Pam--you are the best. Be good to yourself and I hope your pain has let up...

Everyone--thanks for all the well wishes and good advice (especially water and walk)...I'm sure I'll be posting for advice on the dominatrix--I'm having a hard time envisioning how it works with drains...Please pray for me...I really need this to work this time because I'm running out of places to take a flap!...I'll post when I climb out from under my rock and let you know how it went. I am envisioning success and your encouragement and stories help me to taste it! Thank you...

Sara

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited February 2010

Sara - All my thoughts, prayers and positive energy your way. Deep breath... soon you will be on the other side and I hope Dr. S is able to make you better than ever. Smile

Holtbolt, HellofromCt and TrainerTam - WOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Congrats to being on the other side! Have a great week recouping in your hotel or hope lodge and remember to take it easy!

Happy29 - Positive vibes, thoughts and prayers for your stage 2 this week! You will do great!

Jaimie - LOVE your new picture! You are so cute!

Jenn - LOL - I love the comment about how you didn't run the Cowtown but ate like you did! LOL!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited February 2010

OH, and Jaimie and LouAnn - congrats on losing the drains!

• happy29
    happy29 Member Posts: 77
    edited February 2010

Sarabhealed-  I am thinking of you and knowing that this next surgery will be your road to being healed. I cant imagine the feelings you must be having . Many prayers coming your way!!!!

Nordy thanks for the well wishes. 

As grateful as I am that I did not need chemo- today I am reminded that this BC stuff stinks all the way around.... I miss my old breasts and wish I did not need another surgery . Oh well off my pity pot and on with it....

I hope everyone has a great day , especially Trainer Tam and Suzanne

• iamc
    iamc Member Posts: 87
    edited February 2010

Holtbolt & Hello~ you are on the other side now! Woohoo!!

...and TrainerTam, I hate to hear about your experience. So sorry :(

Hope you all continue to do better each day!

Carolynn

• plainjane64
    edited February 2010

Happy, sorry about missing your old body.  Sometimes I think I do then I remember - BUT YES, it sucks they haven't figured this disease out better !  I REALLY need to get copies of my before pics I am pretty sure I'd eventually have needed to sling mine over my shoulders had I kept them except the irradiated one was just messed up.  Think I will e-mail celeste this week.....Ok, sorry.......Are your flaps ok?  you're going for stage 2?  Sorry did I miss?  VERY BEST WISHES regardless!

Sara......many positive thoughts, prayers, wishes for successful, beautimous new breasts w/ GREAT blood flow!  I know w/ all that has happened they will be ultra ultra overly in tune w/ everything.......You are so good w/ your visualization!  Keep on sister!

• Jaimieh
    edited February 2010

Happy~ I am sorry you miss your old body. 

Sarabehealed~ I had hip flap and I had the drains in for 4 weeks 3 days and I would still have them in but I got an infection.

KC~ I do feel like a new women.  I am just thrilled that my hips are not getting pinched with each step. 

So I am back in the tightest compression gear that I can get on.  I have a small ace bandage wrapped as tight as I can around the upper part of my backside followed by the tightest compression pants that I could fit into.  I look like a sausage but if it helps my body get the hint I do not care.  I got things I need to do :)

Thanks for the picture love.  I went to a BC.org local meet up and was told that my picture didn't look like me.  So the new one I was told looks like me :)

Any hip flap ladies have any pointers how to compress for us ???  It's like my butt, thighs and everything but my flap area is compressed.  I need to invent a new garment specifically for hip flap patients :)

• Dejaboo
    edited February 2010

I wore the Higher Power Spanx.  When I wanted Extra Compression I folded the top/waist area down over my hips...So I had about 5" Of double compression.  it was very tight.  Made me walk different even...It may have been to tight though...As after a week- My Hips really hurt!

Pam

• Springtime
    edited March 2010

Tammy, Hopefully it won't be long now. St. Charles surgical does not have an ICU, all rooms have like ICU level of care (ratio of pts to nurses). Can you talk to the doc that does rounds?

Hope you all are well. DH's Bday this wkend! Busy!  

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited March 2010

Sarabehealed - We're all behind you - this time everything will go great! Positive vibes coming your way from the North, South, East, and West!

Happy29 - Good luck in your second stage! A piece of cake compared to stage 1!

Wawo42 - Just a few more days and then you're up! Good luck!

Geez, the names come up fast. And mine isn't very far down the list. I got my packet yesterday and kind of had a hard time with it - wish I knew for absolute certainty that what I am doing is right... But life comes with no guarantees, right? So we make our best guess. Hey, I have an article I could post about me, too. Did anyone not see it already? More importantly, anyone want to see it? Marcia - somehow I missed your article before, I think. Really, really good article!

• Dejaboo
    edited March 2010

I am Freaking out here.   I am about to jump out of my skin & run. 

I feel very strongly that my Left flap will need to be replaced.  I dont know if I can wrap my head around that & be ok.  I so wanted to be done this April!   I will be approaching my 2 years for 'Immediate reconstruction'....I have lived with 2 years of Constant pain...I am really sick of the whole thing.

My Scars also Keloid.  2 areas of my GAP Incision have Keloid.  I dont want to have that in front to see if I have a stacked DIEP to replace my Necrotic breast...What about my Belly button scar.  What if it Keloids...Besides looking terrible- Keloids hurt...As I already have them from my Lumpectomy.

How do I get through this? : (

Pam