Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited March 2010

iamc - LOLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think we should all get into the debate about which of the surgeons is better looking!!!!!!!!!!! And I'll also start it off diplomatically by saying that I think they're both dashing!

• Minnesota
    edited March 2010

Okay, again my post crossed with others in a way that I look like an insensitive schmuck!

Linda- I'm so sorry you're having this issue so close to your surgery. Our thoughts and prayers are with you, that this is nothing serious and all will be resolved soon!

(Wardrobe malfunction????)

Pam - Did you hear back from the Center?

• wawo42
    wawo42 Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2010

Thanks ladies for all the well wishes.  I fly out in the morning.  I have three young kids so I am nervous about leaving them.  I know once I get there, I won't be as nervous.

Everyone is cracking me up about the Dr. D and Dr. S looks. We are all fortunate to have such HOT Drs.

I hope to meet Sara at the hospital when I'm there.  I will post when I can.

~Alicia

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited March 2010

Let's see - if Sullivan has taken "delicious"  maybe Dr. D can be "delectable"? or "delightful"? hehehe

Pam - I certainly understand how you feel!  The whole bottom half of my right flap was hard as a rock.  They did have to take tissue from the latissimus area of my back to replace the necrotic tissue, but I don't think it was considered a complete flap failure?  Not sure, but I DO know additional surgery is NO fun!  Please feel free to pm me if you need to talk about it.

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited March 2010

Due to difficulty getting in to see our very busy Dr. D in mid-March, my friend's consultation appointment is 3/29.   We hope to arrive in NOLA late Friday night 3/26  (flying standby so who knows??) so we can have a couple of days to explore.  She wants to do a swamp tour if the weather is good, probably on Sunday, 3/27.  If anyone else is interested, it would be fun to go as a group.....

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited March 2010

Tammy- So glad you do not have Pneumonia-I hope your cough clears up soon!  

Sara- You are on my Mind-every second  

Happy- Good Luck today- Stage 2- Check in when you can  

Wawo- Thinking of you this week- Im sure it is very hard to leave the kids.  I had a very hard time leaving my adult kids.  

Hello- Good to hear from you

Holtbolt- Hope things are going ok. 

Christy- Congratulations on your last herceptin!

No Call from the center yesterday : ( I am patient- So I probably wont call them. (And I dont like being a Pain in the Butt)     My Breast has been hard for months_its nothing new 

I am hoping I am wrong in what I think is wrong.  But My intuition is almost always right.

Marcia- Anesthesia is terrible on me & I have had surgery 6 times in 18 months...Although I guess I was awake for my heart procedure- so only 5 Knock out surgeries.  But it does mess up my mind. 

Anne- My scars are definately keloids- My Lumpectomy scar is 1/4" wide & raised.

In defense of my dh.  Hes always been great.  he rubs my Gap back every night.  And has given me a foot massage every night since I was DX.  He knows it helps me sleep : )

But with all the complications I have had starting at day one with my BLM & Expanders....This time- he has no words to help me feel better.  So he isnt saying anything.  if I say something...he gets this pained look on his face...So I just skip it.  

I appreciate everyones support.

Anyone want to post pictures of a Stacked DIEP/GAP?

Gin I will pm you.

My name for Dr D is Dr Date...As I was waiting & waiting to get a date from the center.  So I would comment to who ever I was talking to- 'No word from Dr Date'.

Pam

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited March 2010

Alicia~ I hope your trip is uneventful.  I left my 2 kids (4 & 7) at home and it was hard.  We talked every night on the webcam and that seemed to make things a little easier. 

Pam~ It sounds like your DH is worried about saying the wrong thing.  He sounds like a keeper though.  I hope the center calls you soon and gets you some answers.

So after my drains where pulled the end of my scars (near the middle) puffed out and they are now going up and down.  It is how I am telling how my fluid is doing...lol...  My drain sites are still pretty sore but they are looking better IMO :).  I have 8 weeks until stage 2 which I know that it is going to fly by and before I know it I will be in NOLA again. 

• Dejaboo
    edited March 2010

Those of you getting ready for stage 2.  Did you need to do a chest Xray?  I thought if we had a chest xray in the last 6 months or less that that was ok to use....?

Pam

• Gin52
    edited March 2010

Pam,

Not sure about stage 2 because I haven't gotten there yet.  But stage 1 was 9/10, and my "redo" was 2/10, and they just got a copy of blood work from onc done a few days before I left, so my guess would be no.....

Ginnie

• Jaimieh
    edited March 2010

Pam I was told that if I was having stage 2 done within 6 months that I did not need the X-ray.  I am going at the end of April and I only need to have my blood work done again. 

• anniese
    anniese Member Posts: 69
    edited March 2010

Pam - I am having my stage 2 (again) in two weeks.  Since I had my stage 1 over 6 months ago I have to go back in for pre-surgery testing - EKG and Chest Xray (and the blood work they do before every surgery).  I didn't know this until last Friday and am scrambling now to get them done this week.  Hopefully, Thursday morning. So, yes, you have to get the testing redone if it was done more than six months ago.

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited March 2010

It sounds like a few of us will be in NOLA that last week in March now! Whoo!

Sandy - Minnesota - Nordy - anyone I'm forgetting?

I'm flying in the 28th, consult with Dr Delicious and Dr Date on the 29th, and flying home the 30th.

I'm staying at Chateau Bourbon - anyone ever heard of it?

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2010

Pam, ditto, 6 months for Chest X-ray and EKG. Do need to redo the blood work. CALL THEM AGAIN! you are too nice. I would be all over the flippin' phone and email if I was you.

I added your Stage 2 Bettye.

Sandy, do you want me to add something to the listing above for your late March trip?

I will say the docs are not hard on the eye - I did notice!... but that was not what I was thinking about any time I was there. I wanted their SKILL and to cross things off my list, and have blue marker all over me in the spots I wanted. :)

Laugh, I have not heard of Chateau Bourbon!  Do report back... 

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited March 2010

Ladies - for those of you who have had stage II.....is it required that you have someone fly home with you as it was for stage I ? I am getting nipples, but don't think I will be needing much lipo work done - at this point I am not sure if my friend can make the trip with me!  :(  Thanks in advance for your help!!

xoxo

LouAnn

• Dejaboo
    edited March 2010

Well, I got the bad news I expected from NOLA.  From looking at my US & my picture where I  marked the hard areas...Dr D thinks I will need the flap replaced...he wont know for sure until he sees me.  but more then likely my Stage 2 is now a stage 1 again. Stacked DIEP

I am so upset about this.   I really dont know if I can do this :` (

Pam

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited March 2010

Pam - I am so, so sorry. I wish I had the words to comfort you ~ please know that my heart hurts for you -   Cry

LouAnn

• Jaimieh
    edited March 2010

Oh Pam I was so wishing that was not the case :( 

• anniese
    anniese Member Posts: 69
    edited March 2010

Pam - I am so sorry to hear this.  I know that you must be feeling very discouraged right now.  Take some time to relax and just breath for a bit before you start thinking about whether you can do another Stage 1.  Hopefully, once Dr. D has a chance to see you in person he will determine that you don't really need to have the flap replaced and that he can do some removal and fat injections.  I'm thinking about you!

• Gin52
    edited March 2010

Pam,

We will all be with you in our hearts!  Look what you have already done, and you'll know you CAN do this!!

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited March 2010

Pam I am so sorry to hear that. Hang in there. I am really new to the boards and the site. I will also be in New Orleans the last week in March. Scheduled for Stage 1 with mastectomy on the 23rd . Pam Best of luck to you

• Cat1
    Cat1 Member Posts: 128
    edited March 2010

Pam - I really hate to hear that!  Hang in there and try to think positive!  Maybe that won't be the case once he see it.  I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers!

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited March 2010

Pam, I'm so sorry things aren't going well.

I've been praying for you, and will continue to do so.

Leah

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited March 2010

Pam...I am so sorry to hear that. With all that we have been through, it just isn't fair when we have complications. Please keep us updated.

• BettyeE
    BettyeE Member Posts: 136
    edited March 2010

Pam

I am so sorry about your complications.  I can't imagine how you must feel.  But remember one thing...You did it once, you can do it again.  I'm praying for you.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2010

LA, I think you need someone with you for stage 2 flying stuff, but call and ask. 

Ahhhh Pam. You have not had an easy road of this. Give yourself some time to think about what to do. I know part of you does not want to do this, and part of you must want it over with too. Thinking of you girl!!!

Spring. 

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited March 2010

Crap, Pam. Not what you hoped, but surely what you expected. You knew it all along.

I wish I had some words of wisdom for you, but I don't. Just take your time and do it when you're physically and mentally ready. I think once it's done, you'll be so relieved that you did it.

Anne

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited March 2010

Pam, so sorry to hear this news.  It sounds like Dr. D won't know for sure until he examines you.  I would have to say with all seriousness that the man is a miracle-worker, and I'm sure he will be able to make things right one way or the other.  It's so disappointing when things don't always go smoothly.   This is not an easy process even when problems are minimum, but it's worth it in the end.  I wish you the very best and will keep you in my prayers.

Suzanne

• Minnesota
    edited March 2010

Pam - You know we are going to be here for you thru all of this! 

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited March 2010

Pam, PM me your email addy and I will send photos os my DELAYED stacked DIEP if you like,

gentle understanding hugs,Marcia <3

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited March 2010

Pam......SORRY!  Gosh!  BUT very glad you have a date and some time.  But YES, still sucks!  Unfortunatley I may be right behind you w/ ? partial L necrosis?  this week is 12 wekks.  Will probably have ultrasound in late March/early april when I see the BS to confirm......very curious to know about ginnie's LD(?) fix? 

Ok, I really liked both Dr D and S.....and I don't say that about many MDs.....after 20 yrs in a teaching hospital I've met and worked w/  many......I guess I decided I liked them based on their skill, good reviews from previous patients BUT....also because....when I was the pt I still reverted into being a nurse working w/ them and yes my cynical comments surfaced and their responses were perfect-quick, unpretentious and FUNNY! These guys put their pants on every day just like everyone else and that is EVER so refreshing!  I'm pretty sure they'd be a slice of heaven to work w/ too judging by everything else.

goodnight ladies!