Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited March 2010

Pam...I am so sorry that you are going through this. What exactly is your breast doing that makes you think it needs to be replaced? I am not sure what necrosis is? Should you call the hospital and ask them all about it?   ((big, but gentle hugs))

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited March 2010

Thanks Christy, 

This is not a new thought on my part...it is something that I have felt for some time....And over the weekend- I just really lost it...But kept it all in...because dh is really sick of the reconstruction process  & all the problems I have had.

Fat Necrosis is Dead Fat...it happens when there is not a big enough blood supply to keep the whole flap alive...Alot of women will have small areas of this....Those may resolve in time...And can be lived with.

Over 1/2 of my breast is very hard.  it is harder then at 8 weeks. I am now almost at 4 months.

I think it is a Partial flap loss.  if too much is Fat Necrosis I feel it will have to be replaced.  this is what happened to Sara & WPLD.

I am waiting to hear from NOLA...they have my US & I sent a Picture outlining the hard areas...I am not sure if that is enough to help them evaluate it though.

Pam

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited March 2010

This is Tammy's friend Cathy.  Tammy has had to go to the Breast Center this morning for chest x-rays.  She has developed a cough and Dr. D.  want to see her immeditely.  I will keep you updated.

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited March 2010

PAM - I do hope the fat necrosis is minimal - <sigh> - so, so sorry you are having difficulties.

Tammy - Hoping the cough is just from the anesthesia.....and not something more serious.

Minnesota - I would love to see your article!! This is quite the thread for celebrities!!

Sarabhealed - best of luck to you! Thoughts and prayers coming your way!

Thoughts with everyone today, and everyday.....this is quite the journey......

xoxo

LA

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited March 2010

Oh Tammy I hope you are feeling better.

Pam~ I hope the center will call and get you some answers.  I hope they can remove and replace the nacrotic areas. 

I had an oncologist appt. this morning and all my onc. could say was WOW, then he backed up and just kept repeating it....  Then I had to give him a detailed explaination about how they did it.  Then he was shocked that I was going back for stage 2.  When I told him what I thought that Dr. S was going to do in stage 2 he can not wait to see it.  He also kept saying wow he is such an artist....... 

Sarabehealed~ Thinking of you and I hope everything goes amazing tomorrow....

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited March 2010

So- I met Dr D this weekend at the Conference for Young Women affected by Breast Cancer!

First of all- you were all soo right about him being hot. Second of all, he was so kind and hugged me and said he was looking forward to seeing me in 2 weeks for the surgery. His speech was awesome. I saw the recon speech last year at the conference and his was 20 times better. I'm also glad that I already have my surgery scheduled because there were many women wanting to call and see about getting in there after hearing him speak!

Second of all - i have an important question. When I fly my legs get kind of swollen. It's no big deal and usually goes away when I get back. I know lots of women who get this when they fly after having BC. Is this an issue for having the surgery? I'm concerned about it...

• mileha
    mileha Member Posts: 48
    edited March 2010

Hey Mel-I don't know about the swelling, but I would probaly contact Dr D and ask. I can't wait for the presentation to be uploaded at YSC. If you see it before me, will you post a link?

• Cat1
    Cat1 Member Posts: 128
    edited March 2010

Tammy - hope it's nothing and you get better soon!

Pam - hope it's something that can be fixed with minimal effort! 

Melinda - oh yeah, Dr. D is a hotty alright!  Would definately like a link for the conference. 

Thinking of our 3 ladies up this week and wishing amazing results and speedy recovery! 

• Jaimieh
    edited March 2010

Melinda~ You could always were a pair of ted hose (not sure if this is the real name) but it keeps the swelling down.  I think Dr. D is boyishly cute...I hope that sounds right...  I still love the fact that he introduces himself as Frank.....

• Cat1
    edited March 2010

Jaimieh - that was one of the things I really liked about Dr. D at the consult.  He walked in and said I'm Frank!  That really says alot about him! 

• Jaimieh
    edited March 2010

BTW, Christy (ccbaby) I know this is one of the thread that you read.  Congratulations on finishing Herceptin!!!

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited March 2010

Sara, good luck, girlfriend! Second time's the charm!!

Pam, I ache for all you've been through. This road has not been an easy one for you, not one bit! If I were feeling that in my breast, I'd be thinking the same thing--do-over time. But what a let down and an annoyance. Do you get true keloids, or just hypertrophic scars? Any thought to whether the silicone scar shapes could help prevent that for you?

Eve, second thoughts are normal, especially when facing the chance, all be it a slim one, that you could have a problem with surgery. One of those "what was I thinking??" moments. Bear in mind that you do have a potential ticking time bomb in that breast. And you haven't entered into this decision lightly.

Tam, I'm hoping the xray is clear. Please let us now ASAP.

Happy Monday to everyone.

Anne

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited March 2010

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG! I wonder if Dr. D's ears are burning! You guys are toooooooo much! Okay, I think the time is right for us to come up with a title for Dr. D that is analogous  to Dr. Sullivan's fans coming up with Dr. Delicious (which, BTH, IMHO, should have been D's, given the first letter - but I will try to let that go....) So I am opening the floor for suggestions!

I would also definitely like to see a link to his talk. Does the Young Survivors Coalition always post these presentations?

Tammy - Please let us know how you're doing. I'm so glad Dr D is as meticulous and watchful as he is about his patients. 

Oh Pam! I'm so sorry you're going thru this! My first thought is that perhaps this is not as serious as you think. I know how my mind can always go to the worst possible scenario. I think it would be extremely, extremely unusual for a flap to fail this far out. But you have seen a change that does not seem typical and you're right to be concerned. I'm so glad you've contacted the Center. Please keep contacting them if you don't hear right back. I'm thinking that today is not a surgery day, so the docs should be able to get back to you quickly, as long as the nurses convey this to them in a timely manner. If you don't hear back soon, tell us and we'll all start bugging them en masse!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited March 2010

Okay, my LOL was not in response to Anne's post - our posts crossed! Thank you Anne. I know you're right. I know you're right. I know you're right.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2010

Tammy, please report back what is going on. 

Pam, I am so sorry you are being psychologically tortured by this! I would think the US results will help them. Call and find out. Hang in there.... I know Trisha has Keloid scar areas, apparently it is a genetic thing, but that won't impact your flap, but you know that. Oh dear. 

What shoes did Dr. D have on? The man wears the coolest shoes.  

Minn, I was having to wait for stage 2, an hour or two just waiting and not drugged yet (ha). and I swear, I thought several times about jumping up and running away!!! I think it is normal, surgery is a big deal, and recovery is a big deal. But Eve, once you wake up on the other side, you will be CURED and released from your Oncologist! I would about do anything to achieve that, and you are lucky and blessed to be able to do it! Just keep thinking of THAT when you are scared.  

Girls, this, below, is off topibut this is a great thing you all should watch! This guy is great and so easy to understand. Things you can do other than the standard medical treatments we've all done to remain cancer free. Author of Anti-Cancer, A New Way of Life, giving talk at MD Anderson in Tx. This is the book that got me started on my new way of life. :)

http://www3.mdanderson.org/streams/FullVideoPlayer.cfm?xml=integrativeMed/config/Anticancer_cfg

• Jaimieh
    edited March 2010

Minn. I agree that should have been Dr D's name ;).

I hope that I do not have to wait when I go for stage 2. However I do not want them leaving me in the waiting area after they give me the relaxant. I was apparently wild after that and sais things that I normally wouldn't say.

• ccbaby
    edited March 2010

Thanks Jamie!! I am at the hospital right now getting my final Herceptin treatment and will done in about an hour!! I am so happy to finally be done with it!!

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited March 2010

Cat I am having Dr D for the reconstuction. I also will be staying at the Hope Lodge. Is there anything to do close to there. I think I am flying in on Saturday and dont have surgery til Tuesday. I will be by myself til my folks fly in on the 26th.

• Cat1
    edited March 2010

Sally - that's interesting.  My surgery is scheduled for 8:00 on the same day with Dr. D.  Do you know your surgery time yet?  I don't fly in until Sunday evening so we can definately meet up at the lodge then.  From what I understand the lodge will take you to the end of the St. Charles streetcar line which will take you to the French Quarter.   I got to see the quarter when I went down for my consult last Oct.  We sent several days checking everything out because I knew I wouldn't get to see much for surgery visit.  My preop appt is at 9:15 on Monday and then we're going to check out the quarter for awhile. We can work out the details Sunday evening.  I really enjoyed the quarter but you definately don't want to be out after dark by yourself.  I also PM you back. 

• Cattail
    Cattail Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2010

Here is news on Tammy.  She has seen Dr. D. at St. Charles and he is keeping her over night so she can have some breathing treatments.  She doesn't have pneumonia which is good news.  Thanks for all your good thoughts and prayers.

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited March 2010

Good news Cattail. Thank you for keeping us updated. I'm sending more prayers for Tammy.

Pam. It sounds so tough. I will keep you in my thoughts too. I can't even bear to think about a "re-do" even though I've never gotten through a stage 1 yet, so I can only imagine how that's weighing on your mind. Keep coming here to vent when you can't at home.

ccbaby: Congratulations from a fellow Herceptin sister! Good-bye port?

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited March 2010

I know exactly  where you are coming from with this  "scared" bit. I am doing Stage 1 the week before you are and I am scared.I have had many surgerys before but this is the first 1 I have "Chose" to have, so to speak. I have not recieved my packet yet, It should come soon right?

• bennetts1
    bennetts1 Member Posts: 44
    edited March 2010

Good thoughts and prayers to all the ladies who are up this week!!! 

Pam,  I hope the doctors can provide you with some answers that you are looking for!  I am so sorry you have been going through so much!  It is wonderful to have bc sisters to come to for the support needed! 

Christy...WOOOHHOOO...congratulations on your last treatment of Herceptin!!!!

Now I have a question for those who have gone through Stage I.  Did anyone take any multi-vitamins before you had your surgery?  Is this recommended?  I am 9 weeks out from stacked DIEP surgery.   Thanks!

Sandy B

• ccbaby
    edited March 2010

Thanks everyone and yes Laughlines...I will be de-'ported' next week when I go to NOLA!

Good luck to Sara, Happy and Wawo this week!!!

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited March 2010

Hi everyone...hope you all are doing well.  I haven't had a chance to read through all the recent pages, but will do as soon as I can.

Had my post-op with Dr. D today.  He removed 3 drains--woohoo!  I am so glad about that!  They said the last one can probably come out next Monday!  I still have a little blistering along my ab scar (stings) but it's getting better.  Everything else seems to be coming along fine and I am ready to schedule Stage 2.  They said Janine will call me with a date for end of May.

For those with upcoming surgeries, I'm not going to say it's an easy recovery, but it's not that bad either.  For me, the first day was the worst...after that it kept getting better each day.  The drains seem to be the biggest issue for lots of us,so once they're gone it's such a relief.

Heading home tomorrow...will check in as soon as possible.  Best wishes to all who are coming up...you will do great!

Suzanne

• BettyeE
    BettyeE Member Posts: 136
    edited March 2010

Sandy B,

The center instructed me to take 2 multi-vit with iron for 1 month before surgery.

Spring,

I am scheduled for Stage 2 May7.  Thanks

• sarabhealed
    sarabhealed Member Posts: 64
    edited March 2010

Greetings from NOLA!

Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers--my pre-op with Dr. S went great today--lots of blue marker all over--What a Michelangelo!  Glen was my driver--what a sweetie! I told him I heard about him on the boards and that he has a great reputation...he was really touched and surprised that his daughter Belinda has people praying for her that he hasn't even met. Keep them coming, she had a pet scan last week that showed more cancer in the leg and nodes--no more organ involvement though so she is remaining hopeful...cancer sure sucks!

I'm going into this surgery pumped--I knew I'd get rid of the saddlebags--but it looks like I'll get some thigh work and even my knees beautified! His biggest challenge is going to be replacing the volume that he'll be taking out so he's taking it from anywhere he can get it. Do pray it goes well--I'll report in when I can...Good night wonderful warrior women!!!

Sara

• iamc
    iamc Member Posts: 87
    edited March 2010

Thinking of you, Sara! Dr. S makes a wish list, and you get to decide how much to let him do. I said yes to everything, and wow wow wow.

Dr. D fans...he's boyishly cute, but Dr S is....HOT HOT HOT. And he comes across like he isn't even aware of it! Should I confess now that I had an intentional fail just to get to see him again??? (kidding!)

Pam, I am so sorry to hear you have complications. Praying you won't need replacement. Two surgeries yurned into four for me, but now that it's behind me I have no regrets. When you feel down, we are here for you. <hugs> xoxo

Carolynn

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited March 2010

Sarah,

I will be thinking of you and looking forward to hearing you are out of surgery and resting comfortably!

Tammy, so glad to hear you are at St Charles where I know they will take the best care of you.

Deja, I so you will get hear some good news from the Center and things aren't as bad as they might seem at this point. I understand your worry about your husbands reaction to any bad news, but I wouldnt worry about that at this point ...please dont be so hard yourself ,you didnt ask for setbacks,sometimes they just happen.

One thing I noticed it that after multiple surgeries in a short period of time the anesthesias and recoveries can wear away at our resolve. Hang tough Deja1

Marcia

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited March 2010

YSC & LBBC co sponsored the conference along with Komen. You can find transscripts and recodings at youngsurvivorsconference.org but they aren't avvailable yet. I'm not sure how long it will take but when it is i will let you know. Dr D's talk was very compelling and very easy to understand. It was pretty funny because he showed pics from his website and I was like i recognize that one and that one and that one ...maybe thats a sign i look att his site too much!

He said he had some kind of wardrobe malfunction so he wasnt wearing what he planned on - he had on kind of a leather blazer and jeand, very young and cute looking.

I have 13 days until I leave for NOLA!! I have lists to make and still have to get that damn eKG done too. Plus i am seeing my onc tomorrow because of this sharp pain i have been having opnly when i kneel in my right upper calf. I'm TERRIFIED they will ttell me i have a blood clot and i wont be able to have surgery. freakin myself out about it...