Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Cat1
    Cat1 Member Posts: 128
    edited March 2010

Gin - Congratulations on getting rid of another drain!  WooHoo something to get excited about! 

Thinking good thoughts for Sara, Happy and Wawo - hope your doing well.

CCbaby - your up next! 

It just keeps ticking down to my time!  Woo Hoo!   Anyone who has an appt at the center 24th thru 26th, please stop by I'll be there!  Would love to meet you! 

Cathy

• Cat1
    edited March 2010

Oops - hit it twice! 

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited March 2010

I think I finally found a way to put compressions on my incisions to keep the fluid down.  I know that I asked 100 questions about this but I think I finally found a way and it is working.....whooo...  So just in case anyone wants to know and because I rattle, here it is.  The center sent me a tummy brace but it was too loose stil in the lower lumbar area so I took an ace bandage and folded it many times the width of my back and put it in the back brace and it worked.  My fluid is down but I think it is going to take a bit longer than a week until I can get out of the brace (compression). 

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited March 2010
    Dejaboo - Basically, yes.....but I am also a D (was Dbl D before BLM).  It felt like everything below the nipple line, and maybe even a little above was bad hard tissue, and there was enough in the lat to fix it.  What I am saying is - the entire flap may not have to be replaced, so it may not take as much tissue as you think.  Just hang in there.....  in the long run, it is worth it.  I am 57, not as young as a lot of the ladies here.  But, young enough that I realize that even if it takes awhile to "get things straight", the time I will have to live with lovely new breasts that will not "turn on me an make me sick" will be a long happy time!!
  • SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited March 2010

Pam, I just got back from working out with my trainer and we were discussing LAT and TRAM, and she said that you never really can make up for the loss of the muscles taken for those surgeries.   Women have become partially disabled and there's no going back once the muscles are cut.  Sometimes I feel so darned lucky that I discovered DIEP and sought it out before I committed to something else.  My spine is a mess with my scoliosis and losing any muscle could have really caused me huge problems, increasingly so as I age.

Through this board, I met a woman who doesn't post, but we've talked by phone and e-mail.  She also has scoliosis, and told me about the Schroth Method, which is training in rotational breathing that was developed in Germany.   There are before and after photos of people with horribly twisted spines who've seen huge improvement after going through the program, which then requires daily self-maintenance for life, including during travel.   Gayle and I talked last weekend and she helped me find a practioner in California.  I'll need to spend four days in treatment, but it could really change my life.  My sister has the same problem, and I'm hoping she'll be able to go with me.  Receiving improvement without surgery would be wonderful, and finding out about this is just one of the blessings I've received from participating on this web site.   We are so blessed to have this forum and to be able to help and encourage each other.  Thank you all, or in NOLA talk, "Thanks, y'all!".

Sandy 

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited March 2010

mileha, there are 2 threads that I've bumped for you. One is called  "Making my list - upcoming DIEP" and the other is "Shopping list for things I need for DIEP (in Nola).

Hope they help.

Leah

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited March 2010

Hey girls, I'm alive!

We were begining to wonder there for a while! I will tell you the short version: I had to be in the recovery room at Oschner for 6 hours! There was "no room at the Inn" so to speak. When they finally moved me to ICU I was left there for TWO and a HALF DAYS! The worst of it was I had the nurse from Hell ( and I have 2 pages of things she did to me which were negligent and actually unlawful!) so I was left on my back to "soak" in the anesthesia. When I was fianlly released I wound up calling Dr. D and he admitted me to the Center imidiately, He was extremely worried, and was livid over my treatment.

I have to tell you I have never felt as "safe and rescued" as I did when he walked into my hospital  room on Monday afternoon (in his cashmer sweater and leather jacket) and he instantly wanted me to know I was safe, he was taking care of me, and that my situation with Oschner was "the last straw".

I had told his nurse about some of the things this ICU nurse did (which  includes giving me a shot of Demarol to put me "out", which I didn't need or ask for, right before Cathy was coming in to visit me!) .He assured me he was going to make sure something was done about her as soon as he learned her name. I told him her name and he said "That's all I needed to know" then he went about checking my flaps and GAP scars (which all look fabulous by the way!)

I just want to say I have never been worried about this surgery with Dr.D and the Center, they are total professionals, as is their staff. However, I was completely unprepared for what happened at the Oscnher Hospital and would NEVER go there again! Dr. D. told me none of his patients ever will.

I go to see him today for my post OP and to talk about Phase 2, now that I know I can stay at the Center to have it done. I was really reconsidering NOT doing  phase 2 if I had to go back there! But my Dr. D has given me hope for the next one. They are indeed the DREAM team!!!

Thanks for alll the welll wishes!

• Jaimieh
    edited March 2010

Wow Tammy I am glad that you are feeling better and that you will be at St. Charles for the rest of your care.  Now rest up and heal :)

• Cat1
    edited March 2010

Tammy - great to hear that they are taking care of the problem and you are now feeling better.  What an experience! 

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited March 2010

tammy so sorry you had such a nightmare at Oschner!  Dr D must really be livid! The Center must be up in arms to find out you'd be treated so badly!

I am so glad to hear that you arenow recovering nicely and that you arent to have any worries about where stage 2 might be!!

Drink drink drink and walk and rest for now!

Hugs Marcia

• happy29
    happy29 Member Posts: 77
    edited March 2010

Hello LAdies

stage two went well. Dr Allen told me that the hard areas had some liquified tissue that he was able to drain and poke holes through to help break it up and then he injected fat in between. He feels hopeful that  my end result will be softer and more volume. I was able to walk and ride the NYC subway the day after surgery. Right now I am a HUGE D and trying to not compress my breasts and  "let the seeds grow that were injected" as Dr Ahn said. (doctor that helped Dr Allen)They both said that about 40-60% of fat grafted will dissolve on its own. They put some into my pec muscle which has higher survival rate. Fingers crossed!!

Stage 2 much easier than stage 1 for me. my legs also look better already-  Does anyone know How long until swelling subsides from lipo?

Sarahbhealed- Hope you are well!!!!

Dejaboo- so sorry to hear this. Maybe yours has some fluid in it also? would you consider a TUG if not a stacked Diep? Hugs to you...

• Cat1
    edited March 2010

Happy - glad to hear your doing well! 

• mileha
    mileha Member Posts: 48
    edited March 2010

Is Dr M=Dr Marga? If so, OMG, I didn't realize that. I had the opportunity to attend a retreat with her and she is freaking hoot and so caring and so wise...the list could go on and on..I'm hoping maybe she will be in NOLA when I am there...

• anniese
    anniese Member Posts: 69
    edited March 2010

Yes - Dr. M is Dr. Marga Massey.

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited March 2010

Hey ladies... I am alive and back home eating popcorn, watching Days of Our Lives and the sun shines...!

I debated on posting my experience but only for about 2 minutes... because if this helps any of you in any way, I want to to do that...

Long story short... I was excited about being in NOLA, psyched about the surgery, really positive about the whole thing, loved Dr. D., loved the staff at the center (notably Stacey), the surgery went off without a hitch, I did very well I thought after, walking the halls with Suzanne, feeling positive, loved the nurses (Erin and Karen especially).. then I'm discharged, my husband leaves town and hands me off to my sister and her husband at the Homewood Suites and drumroll please.....

I freakin LOST IT.  Without warning all the sudden this black cloud came over me and I had sudden regret, felt overwhelmed, started sobbing controllably, wondered how in the holy hell I volunteered to let anyone cut my a*s up and sew it to my chest, sobbing sobbing sobbing, became unconsolable, which led to a full blown panic attack .. couldn't breathe, my poor sister and her husband ... well I'm quite sure I scared the sh*t out of them, my husband is at home and I'm freaking him out because I was fine when he left.... anyway.... somehow they get me to my post op and I have one conversation with Dr. D and he "took me back".... readmitted to St. Charles for what he called a very very normal reaction to being under for 10 hours and all the narcotics and all the anxiety of the surgery..... after some valium and overcoming sleep deprivation and listening to Dr. D and the staff... I broke through the wall and 24 hours later I was myself again.  It was a surreal experience ... like it happened to someone else.....

Dr. D (and Dr. S) told me that they have seen it many  times... and that it was my body releasing the anxiety and trauma of the surgery (not to mention in the last 2 years a lumpectomy, radiation, a bilateral mastectomy, an oophorectomy and chemotherapy and then topping that off with a 10 hour big deal bilateral SGAP).  I guess eventually it was gonna happen... and well... it all came together at the Homewood Suites.....  I didn't even really get to enjoy their  free lobby food coz you know you can't really go down there when you're sobbing, it's hard to hold your plate and people would stare.....lol.....so there ya go Tammy.. that's why I didn't call your room.... but I did get your message LOL LOL

I am back to myself, at home... I took a shower by myself, managed the dominatrix by myself, did 2 loads of laundry, a load of dishes, cleaned up the house, put make up on, curled my hair and all is right with the world.......

I just wanted to share in case anybody else loses it and thinks they are crazy...... I know now I'm not.  I also wanted to say :

1.  I feel like Tammy does right now.  Dr. D "rescued me" emotionally and I will be forever grateful to him and the entire staff down there.  First class operation, stand up people, all of them....

2.  Suzanne (HellofromCT) you will be my buddy for life and I hope I get to go through Stage 2 with you... (and Tory is really sweet, you are lucky to have her)

3.  Tammy, in my drug haze I remember your smiling face and thank you for the cupcake.... I am so sorry you had such a horrible experience at the other hospital...

4.  Soccermom (marsha)... I got your HUG!!! That was super awesome and I don't even know who that was who hugged me but I got it and appreciated it!!!!

5.  Deja (Pam).. thank you for the lifeline to the real world..... before during and after all this....you have been an incredible support to me..... I am so sorry for the problems you are having but want to reassure you that Dr. D. will make it right... he will.....

That's all for now... Don't know what the future holds or what other challenges come my way with this but I am thrilled to be home and guess what... for the first time today I appreciated the girls and I see hope and promise of a real transformation and end of all this cancer nonsense..... more later.... xoxo Cindy 

• mileha
    mileha Member Posts: 48
    edited March 2010

Cindy-Just wanted to post a note to say thank you for posting that...

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited March 2010

Tammy~ Wow. So sorry you were treated so poorly~there is no excuse!

Cindy~Thank you for your posting as well~your information will surly help many of us.

I think we all can relate to the up's and down's of this journey. For me, the 'up' was finally getting my breasts back in NOLA. I don't think anyone can understand how important that is unless they have been through this. Although my results have been incredible, I still can see the look on the faces of some....."why the he** would you do that?" Again, because they have not been through it, they can't understand, and I hope they will never have to understand!

My mom used to have a saying when times got tough....she would say it is time to "cowboy up"~she used that phrase a lot when she was battling pancreatic cancer. So for the past year I have done a pretty good job of "cowboying up" - but three weeks after my surgery I was tired of dealing with it all. Tired of the surgeries, tired of the drains, tired of being restricted in what I can do. The dark cloud hung over me for 9-10 days, and then as quickly as it arrived-it went away. I woke up Monday and felt like "me" again-which was so nice as I was getting very concerned! Perhaps this was a delayed reaction to all the surgeries I have had in the past year? I don't know, but I sure am glad it's over!!

xoxo

LouAnn

• LizR
    LizR Member Posts: 26
    edited March 2010

I just want to let you ladies know that you are doing a tremendous service to the women who follow in your steps.   From all of the ups and all of the downs - it is so helpful as we prepare for our own surgeries.  Cindy, your story brought tears to my eyes - because on a daily basis, I have been having my own internal struggle as I wait for my bilateral SGAP surgery (5 weeks away) - and there are truly moments when I tell myself that I am fine the way that I am and would be crazy to have someone cut me up.  Probably more than physical pain, I worry about how I will handle the emotional pain that may come afterward - and what you have shared has told me that it will be OK.

• Jaimieh
    edited March 2010

Cindy~ I am glad you are feeling more like yourself and I think it is a reaction that most of us have gone thru.  I am happy to hear that they helped you with everything and that you are feeling better.

Happy~ You sound awesome and give me hope that stage 2 will not be that bad.

LouAnn~ I am sorry that you also went thru a really rough patch. 

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited March 2010

Cindy - I love that you shared your story... And I have to tell you honestly that I giggled while reading it. NOT at your pain... but because I shared a little of that after my stage 1 - so knew exactly where you were coming from. I attribute my episode to having a bad reaction to the antibiotic I was on, but the day after I was d/c'd from the hospital, I was a mess. I woke up frequently the entire night. I was shakey and nauseated and felt like total crap. There was a NOLA grad (my lifeline at NOLA) who was at the Hope Lodge after her stage 2, who actually called the center for me that morning. They had me come in to see Dr. Sullivan - and when I got there, I was very tearful. I was so embarassed. I always like to think of myself as a pretty tough cookie, and here I was less than 24 hours after d/c, back in his office all teary eyed and receiving a unit of fluids, steroids and anti-nausea meds. I felt like such a sissy. In the end it helped me to feel much better, but we did discover that it was likely the antibiotic because when I took my next dose it started all over again. And then, I had heard all these stories about people who went sight seeing after their stage 1 and did all kinds of things... I didn't do any of that! We went to lunch a couple times and one time we walked back from the end of the St. Charles ave. trolley line to the Hope Lodge and I was beat! SO, by sharing your story, Cindy - you are doing a great service to those that may not feel 100% after their surgery. Everyone reacts differently to anesthesia, to stress, to having surgery, to loss of breasts, to gaining new breasts. We all walk a similar yet different path in the way we react to things... and that can be different not only between people, but within ourselves depending on where we are in our lives. I am happy that you are on this side of it, I am so happy that you are feeling yourself once again! Sometimes it just takes time!

Tammy - I am so sorry to hear about your stay. You write that letter to the hospital and let them know all of the things that occured. I hate to hear about stuff like that happening to patients - it just shouldn't be. I am glad you were able to be cared for well in St. Charles. It is helpful to remember that there are good and bad in every field... sometimes I just wonder why someone would be a nurse when they really have no interest in helping others... since my hubby and I are both in health care we have this discussion all the time!

LouAnn - I am glad that you too are feeling back to normal! And as for your question about flying home from stage 2 - Katie told me I had to have someone fly home with me! Thus, the reason my hubby is now coming, when I initially was going to go alone or have a friend meet me there!

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited March 2010

i just wanted to say I too really really appreciate ALL the stories, good and bad. And honestly, I am happy to see someone report bad things because it makes it more real, although I do wish no one had to actually experience those bad things.

Good luck to all those in pain right now or recovering...I'm hoping that the pain goes away asap

• Jaimieh
    edited March 2010

Okay does anyone know how they determine if you need fluid aspirated ??  Celeste told me that it would hurt if my butt had fluid in it but I can see my left side moving but it doesn't hurt (which I am grateful that it doesn't).  Does it hurt to get the fluid aspirated ?? 

I am still hoping that I wake up in the morning and it is down again but this time I am not so sure....

• Nordy
    edited March 2010

Jaimie - If your butt looks like a waterbed - you may need an aspiration! (Somehow that sounds like a Jeff Foxworthy line...) I found that if the PS placed the needle in an area that is numb (for me just above my incision line) that I didn't feel it at all - just pressure from the needle. Now on the other hand, the one day she went below the incision line.. that didn't feel too great! But its quick and will help the cavity to close - so may be worth it!

• Jaimieh
    edited March 2010

Thanks Nordy~  Yes we do sound like Jeff Foxworthy but my butt looks like a waterbed on the left :(.  I will just add it to the 2 butts that I am sporting around right now with my bandages.  I guess I will be calling my local PS in the morning also.  Now I need to try and get someone to watch my son so he will not be scared....

• Nordy
    edited March 2010

Jaimie - My kids went to all my appts with me... and stood next to the doctor while she aspirated me! The key is to stay upbeat and explain that this is just another thing you are doing to get well. You may be surprised as to what your son thinks is fascinating!!!

• Jaimieh
    edited March 2010

Very true Nordy :)  I can hear him now at Pre-school my Mommy got a needle in her butt (said with a lot of emphasis on the B).  They do suprise me with how they handle things. 

• Melonda
    edited March 2010

Mar 15 - Anniese - Stage 2/3. (Dr M) NOLA. St. Charles Surgical

Mar 17 - 2Tzus - Bilateral DIEP. Dr. S., NOLA, Fairway Hospital  

Mar 18 - Macksix6 (Stephanie) - Stage 2, NOLA. 

Mar 23 - Cat - Stage 1, Bilaterial SGAP, NOLA (Dr. D.) St. Charles surgical.  

These are the women I am overlapping with in some way...I will be at St Charles so if I'm around I would be happy to visit anyone that would like it! I obviously have NO idea how I will be feeling so I don't want to gaurantee anything, but PM me if you would like me to try to visit you. Cat- you will be having surgery the day I fly home, but I will be having my postop the 22nd so maybe we will be there at the same time for your preop?

• Melonda
    edited March 2010

Ok, I'm finally getting around to planning and packing since i only have 10 days left!

I'm staying at Hope Lodge and I totally forget the food thing. I know we can have food (not in our rooms) and they give us containers for it but I don't remember if they provide any food at all? I know we can go grocery shopping after we get there to make sure we have some stuff but do they provide any meals? If so are they at set times?

• Brenda26
    Brenda26 Member Posts: 25
    edited March 2010

I stayed at Hope Lodge back in Sept 09 and they do not provide you any meals.  You have to provide all the food/drink you want to have during your stay there.  I think they do usually have coffee there for anyone.  You also are responsible for putting all your dishes into the dishwasher after each meal.  The kitchen is set up in a square where each corner is a seperate kitchen in itself and you never have any problem preparing food.  They have plenty of pots, pans and cooking utensils for you.  Everyone there is great.  I will be staying there in a few weeks, the end of april for my stage two. 

• Nordy
    edited March 2010

OMG... I had pre-op testing today! All I can say is, "here we go again!!!!" And, while I was there I was talking to the lady that does registration for radiology - she was saying how she remembers me from the last time I was there (okay, never mind that I am in there like every 3 months for scans and pre-ops... LOL) before stage 1. She wanted to know how my outcome was - and I had to tell her how in love I am with my boobs and Dr. Sullivan and the Center. Then she proceeded to tell me that she is also a BC survivor and has been contemplating reconstruction - but was told by the local PS's that she would have to have an implant. SO, don't you know that I whipped out my wallet and handed her Dr. Sullivan's business card. She has the same insurance as I do (won't they be happy about this... NOT), so I told her I have paved the way and that she should go for it. She was so excited to look on the website and she said she would at least call the center to see what they would say. I love spreading the word about perforator flaps and the phenomenal docs that perform them!