Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited March 2010

Nordy,  How awesome that you could be there to offer the hope and information she needed!!!

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited March 2010

Cindy, Tammy, LouAnn, Pam, and now Jaimie with her waterbed butt...

Really, thank you so much to everyone here for sharing so much. Your honesty, candor, trust - it's breathtaking what an incredible group of women meet here on this thread. And as other have said, it helps us all to know we're not alone in our fears, our insecurities, our grief, our worries. We get strength from each other, and this is one strong bunch of ladies!

And my God, what a rough week poor Dr. D had, too!

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited March 2010

Tammy, Hospitals have a patient advocacy office which is very sensitive to formally documented complaints. They will do an investigation and send you the results of it, if you submit your complaints in writing (email).  I had to do this once regarding a doctor, and it was taken very seriously by that office.  I hope you get some satisfaction from your poor treatment.  We know the Center is on it, and that place will regret your treatment, there is no doubt about it.  But something slipped there, even beyond the fact of that one nurse, and I have a feeling a patient advocacy office would look a bit wider.

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited March 2010

You are right Minnesota.... Dr. D did have a rough week! LOL LOL.  I forgot to also say that he told me that once he started on me he found out that my blood vessels branched off in some weird way... I can't remember how he described it (seriously I feel like I was in a fog when he told me) but.....a phenonmenon he finds like in 1 out of 30 women and when he does encounter it it's usually on ONE side.. but alas.. I had it on BOTH sides.. so ... he said I caused him "extra work.".........LouAnn... I like your mom's phrase ...I feel like I've been cowboying up for 2 years... I'm a little sick of cowboying up.... right?  Maybe somehow I felt I was in a place where it was ok not to...just for a little while....I did feel very safe there ..... the whole thing was weird and surreal...... Jaimie from St. Charles called to check on me last night.... she again said that it was completely normal and so many people say the same thing... like after it's over it seems it happened to someone else.... they all knew it would pass... but at the time you couldn't convince me of that... strange.... just glad to be back.  The biggest thing I'm dealing with now is back pain.. which has been a constant through this whole thing..... scoliosis here and a herniated disk... back sleeping is not ideal..... but again... glad to see the sun and glad to be hereSmile

Diagnosis: 6/2006, DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, Tamox; 11/22/2008, IDC, bilat mast, 4 rounds of TC, ooph, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

• wawo42
    wawo42 Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2010

I am doing good.  Surgery went well.  I got my tummy tuck so I have 4 drains.  Dr. D told my mom that I will be a new woman once the swelling goes down.   I have been really antsy this time.  I want to get up and move but I still have my IV and catherter. 

This trip has been one stressful trip.  I was suppose to fly out on Tues. but all flights to and from Altanta were cancelled so I didn't fly out until 5:45 am.  Weds. morning.  Dr.D was in surgery for my pre-op appt. so he didn't mark me up until right before surgery.  I haven't had the chance to meet Sara yet.  I hope we will be out walking the halls and see each other. 

Thanks for all the well wishes ~Alicia

• happy29
    happy29 Member Posts: 77
    edited March 2010

HoltBolt- thanks for sharing your story. I lost it week 2 post surgery at home. Anxiety, tears , fear, regret, confusion...... dh had to talk me down. this is traumatic and I am glad that we can all share here. I appreciate all your support.

I woke up today and barely recognize my lower body after my lipo stage two. it is only 3 days post op. I can fit into my skinny jeans and  my legs look  skinny without my outer thigh fat.(and inner thigh tissue was taken with TUG)

when I gain weight -where will it go now????? my breast fat injections? my stomach- where is ususally the last place to go? anyone have lipo maybe can help with this question?

Wishing ALL of you up this coming week- safe travels and safe surgeries!!!

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited March 2010

Tammy- I am so sorry for your Terrible & Uncalled for Treatment at the Hospital.  I too would write them...I was treated very badly right after my BLM with Expanders (Nothing given for pain for 3 hrs- no pump- no OnQ ball, no IV meds)   I was always going to write them...But my 1st 6 weeks were so hard- I put it off...Now almost 2 years later...I still havent written...too late now.

I am so glad that you called the Center & that they took care of you!

Cindy- I am sorry you had a really bad time after your dh went home.   So glad to hear how good Dr D was to you.   I can see how it could happen...if we havent been there ourselves...I know we have all been very close.   Im getting to that place this week- LOL

Thanks for sharing your story - I think it will help others & you too- to have shared it.

Happy & Wawo- Glad to hear you are both doing good.

Alicia do let us know if you see Sara- I hope she is doing good.

Pam

• Cat1
    Cat1 Member Posts: 128
    edited March 2010

Holtbolt - sorry to hear your had a rough few days and glad you shared your story!   We all need to understand that it's ok to loss it because it's part of the healing process from this awful stuff we've been thru.  Sounds like you hadn't lost it before and you were due!  Your now on the other side and headed toward that final step! 

Melinda - my pre-op appt is at 9;15 on 22nd.  If you see a short spiked redhead yell at me!  Would love to meet you! 

Happy - I'm jealous - fitting into your skinny jeans!  That's awesome!

Alicia - glad to hear your doing well! 

• Cat1
    edited March 2010

For those who will there around the 21st.  I'm staying at the Hope Lodge before surgery.  I'll be there 21st and 22nd - anyone else staying at the lodge during that time frame? 

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited March 2010

Ladies - I've read on a few posts here over the months about reactions to the antibiotics give after surgery.....and am curious - if you had trouble with the antibiotic given was it by chance Bactrim?? Bactrim was Dr. S's first choice for me, and I told him that "I hated Bactrim", as it makes me naseaus, and sometimes I even vomit from it - so he gave me different one. If you had an issue with Bactrim, could you pipe in......there may be a trend here.

Thanks!

LouAnn

• sarabhealed
    sarabhealed Member Posts: 64
    edited March 2010

Finally ready to post--my surgery was alot longer than Dr. S anticipated--11 hours. He got creative with me and made a "tail flap" --a first--in addition to the lumbar. I think I'm going for a record as I know have Diep,GAP,tail, and lumbar fat sitting on my chest!  It has taken be a while to get my legs back--I got two units of blood yesterday and it has made a big difference. I'm glad people are being honest--this is one heck of a surgery.

Glad things are going well Happy--Tammy glad you were rescued--are you still at NOLA? Alicia I'm in room 202--come see me or let me know your room number. Hang in there Holt--things are only going to get better.

Pam--I'm so sorry--I know its not what you wanted to hear--but I reached the point where I couldn't wait to get the necrosis GONE. As rough as this has been, my chest/pec felt better immediately after surgery.

Keep the prayers coming--I think I'm staying an extra day in the hospital...

Sara

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited March 2010

Sara~ Sorry to hear that the surgery was longer than anticipated and the tail flap sounds interesting.  I hope you stay an extra day and let them pamper you. 

LouAnn~ Dr. S tried to give me bactrim but it makes me throw up so it was a no go. 

Brenda~ We are going to be at Hope Lodge at the same time :)

Waiting for the center to call about my waterbed butt :( 

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited March 2010

Jaimieh,  my surgery was one week before yours, and I seem to have an area of retained fluid, too.  Mine is along my lower left abdominal incision line - just above and just below.  It bulges a bit and is not going away.  So bothersome!!  

I had an ultrasound on it earlier in the week which showed very little fluid, but I was wearing a binder up to the time of the U/S and it was not bulging then.  This discomfort has been going on for a few weeks, but it seems to be getting worse.  So weird.  

Fortunately, I had met with a local PS before surgery in New Orleans.  He will see me next week and do his own U/S.  I've spoken with Celeste a few times.  Up until 2 days ago, there was nothing to show, but now I do have a bulge and will send over a photo.  

I am finding that my recovery has gone well, but my patience is getting very thin.  I just want to be done!.......and then there is Stage 2 (trying not to be too scared about this one). 

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited March 2010

kcshreve, I had a seroma that did not show up despite two ultrasounds, so don't rule out that the bulge is nothing more than fluid build up since discontinuance of the binder.  

Sara, I'm keeping all of you ladies dealing with issues foremost in my prayers.  

Holtbolt, I am dealing with scoliosis issues too.  PM me because I have some information that might be useful to you. 

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited March 2010

Okay so the center thinks that my backside looks pretty good that my fluid level is doing well.  So that was great to hear.  They know that there is some but they said that they expect a little in that area. 

KC~ When is your stage 2 ??  I hear you on your patience level, I just want to be able to get back to my new normal again. 

• Cat1
    edited March 2010

Ladies, got a question.  For your return trip home, did you have trouble getting a wheel chair at the airport?   Did you ask ahead to have one ready?  My sister (who is going with me) and I have been talking and are wondering how it'll work since I won't be much help to her. 

• Brenda26
    Brenda26 Member Posts: 25
    edited March 2010

Lou Ann - I was given bactrim after surgery and it made me sick after two doses, they changed it and then I was fine.

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited March 2010

I just got back from the grocery!  I know.. that may not seem like anything to shout out the front door to the neighbors but it's 10 days after Stage 1 and after the big crazy trip to NOLA where I lost it.. I wanted to tell you that I'm feeling really good and my craving for Krispy Kreme donuts was strong enough to get me dressed, in the car and off to the store... weird things in my cart.. donuts, a cherry pie, ice cream, cookies, cheezits... okay whatever .. comfort foods but I did it and life is good. :)

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2010

Sandy, I added you and Julie's consult to the listing above.

Cindy and Tammy, Thank you for sharing your stories. I imagine Dr. D. in a superhero outfit! As though as things were, it sounds like you were both cared for in the end. That friggin' Nurse Ratchet woman, LAWS. I hope there is cosmic justice and she gets hers in the end. (Sounds ugly, but honestly!!! Seems very very very very wrong to abuse a person after surgery when they are weak and vulnerable!!!) I also remember having a sort of meltdown once home after Phase 1. Mine was pain related. I was trying to not use the narcotics because I was so constipated, and I was not yet ready to do that. It is a lot to go through and sometimes you just need to let it the heck out!!! Eventually, I took the pain meds and dealt with the constipation a different way. (FLEET Supositories!!!)

I have had a lot of life going on here in the last few days, so was not able to read everyone's thoroughly - 2.5 pages worth!! If anybody needs me, Please send a PM. :) 

YOU ARE ALL LOVELY AND BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!! 

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited March 2010

Cindy - You are hysterical! I love all the comfort foods! And again, glad you are back to yourself.

LouAnn - the antibiotic I had at the center that made me nauseated and shakey was Minocyn, not Bactrim. I am already deathly allergic to sulfonamides (Bactrim), so in my case that would be NOT be a very wise choice! Actually, I am allergic to so many strains of antibiotics - and now with not feeling so great on Minocyn, my list of available drugs is growing ever smaller. Undecided Anyway, Sulfa allergies are actually quite common... and if you end up with hives it is miserable! I think it was Mel who ended up w/a reaction after her stage 2??? 

Spring - I hope all is well at home!

Sarah - It is absolutely wonderful to hear from you. My goodness - you have really been through it all. I am continuing to send positive vibes your way and hoping and praying you heal up quickly and without further issues!

Cat- I did not use a wheelchair (just didn't want to), but I know many people here did, so I am sure they will chime in soon!

Wawo and Happy - Great to hear from you both! I am so happy that you are both doing well. 

Christy - Holy Cow. You are up in less than a week!!!!!

• poolgirl
    poolgirl Member Posts: 46
    edited March 2010

LouAnn- I am DEATHLY allergic to Bactrum. It made me pass out cold on the floor once. My blood pressure dropped to almost nothing. I was talking to my sister on the phone when I passed out and she called an ambulance. The paramedics said that people who take it suddenly get to a level where they will tolerate it no more and this is what happens. My doctor had perscribed it frequently when I was younger for bladder infections. I was really sick!

• sarabhealed
    sarabhealed Member Posts: 64
    edited March 2010

Well I've been wandering the halls calling Alicia to know avail, but I have met some other nice women,,,then Alicia from x-ray who does the CTA's came up to visit--I was so happy to see her (I thought she was Wawo)  but got so confused that she was wearing St. Charles Surgical Scrubs--oh well, I'm going to blame the drugs.)

My wonderful dh got permission to take me for a walk outside (accompanied by a nurse)...It was so good for the soul and made me feel that this recovery will go alot smoother than round one. Thanks for continued thoughts and prayers--it's good to not be alone--people back home so don't get why anyone would do this...I know in the end its all going to be worth it

• iamc
    iamc Member Posts: 87
    edited March 2010

Thanks Cindy for sharing.

We are human. Sometimes I think we feel the pressure of being "strong"...we are survivors, we fought, we are winning....and showing any negative emotion can make us feel vulnerable. In reality, letting it out helps to heal us. Keeping those feeling inside will affect us physically too, in a negative way.

This is a journey...and if we didn't have valleys, the mountain tops wouldn't seems as sweet, would they?

Carolynn xo

• happy29
    happy29 Member Posts: 77
    edited March 2010

Sara- continued good thoughts and prayers for you. You are so strong . So many people do not understand why .

Iamc- so true about the sadness makes the joy that much sweeter.

• MargitN
    MargitN Member Posts: 73
    edited March 2010

This is all under the category of TMI.

Water balloon butts. Does it hurt to have a seroma drained? In my experience, no, not really, and it is such a relief to have the thing drained that it is well worth it. There are things in life you imagine would be very embarassing...butt draining is surely one of them. Yet, it is not. Before you had kids, could you every imagine sticking your nose in a baby's diaper to sniff?  You get over things. I now "assume the position" at the drop of a hat. And I'll be glad when I no longer have to.

Margit

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited March 2010

When I called to talked to Lanita last week they told me to talk to Cappie from now on.

• Melonda
    edited March 2010

Ok- I am under a ton of stress from about 50 different places right now but I am so excited about my surgery.

TOday I freaked out, about a lot of things, but also about the surgery. What's the deal!? I am 1000% positive this is the right choice for me, but I am slowly freaking out about all the traveling, the recovery, the drains..

• Melonda
    edited March 2010

Yep, it was very easy. I had emailed Lanita a question and got a response from Cappie and was very confused so I called there on Monday and they said that Lanita is no longer there but that Cappie would be happy to help me. After a few tries I talked to her on Monday and she was just as helpful as lanita!

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited March 2010

Yes Nordy, less than a week now!!  I am excited and ready for it! My husband and I are heading out tomorrow. It is a 12 hour drive. We will stay overnight halfway and arrive at the Hope Lodge on Sunday. Then pre-op consult with Dr S on Monday and surgery on Wednesday. We will have more time to do things around town this time than last time for my stage 1.  Too bad no one here is going to be there around that time. Last time I got to meet Melanie and Sassy.  Also, since I just got done with Herceptin, I will have my port removed while I am there.  Last time, there must have been 3 different nurses ask if I wanted it removed then.   Ok, I am off to pack!

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited March 2010

Also, wasn't Lanita's job dealing with the insurance companies? I talked to Pam this past week about my insurance. She was very helpful too.