Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited March 2010

Hi Jaimie,

If you go to www.schrothmethod.com, you can see photos of what this technique has been able to accomplish.  The younger you are, the more improvement you may reach, but I still have hope for some reversal, and arresting the progress at the very least.  

Sara, glad to hear that you've enjoyed the outdoors. Continued prayers for you!

If you ladies get a chance, see if you can catch "Change Your Brain, Change Your Body" running on PBS right now.  The doctor is my friend's nephew and he has some great tips for making positive changes.  The program focuses on weight loss mainly, but the book is about improving all aspects of your life.   He's the one who teaches that you have to kill the ANTS.  

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited March 2010

Wow I can't keep up with this board. I've been trying to get my taxes done.

CC baby how is it that you are there for your stage 2 before Nordy and I have ours. I feel like I have been hanging around forever. Good luck with your surgery.

Pam congratulations on your cancerversary and I am glad that you are moving forward on your journey. One day soon it will all be behind you.

For all those having surgery this week healing prayers coming your way from LA LA land.

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited March 2010

Eeek! I too have been offline for a few days and need to catch up.

But ShayT - I am scheduled for June 15th for bilateral something at NOLA! Just like you I work in the public schools and am hightailing it out there as soon as school's out. I will post my date up there after I have my consult in a few weeks and know more.

Spring! Thank you for starting and especially for moderating this thread - what a help it has been to me.

I just returned from a trip with my extended family and was planning to tell them about this whole "sew my butt to my chest" plan (love it HoltBolt) but I just completely chickened out - argh!

Sarab - sending more prayers for you . . . and trying to catch up with everyone else!

XX

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited March 2010

How do we access photos?  I don't see how to get there. 

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited March 2010

Gosh Stephanie, isn't that the truth??? We have been waiting forever... :)  BUT, you are up SO soon!!! I am still sorry that I will miss you!!!

Okay... it is getting so real now... 2 weeks from tomorrow I will be driving my kids to my SIL to stay... Getting a bit nervous... same thoughts, same feelings... "what if...?". Hoping that I am doing the right thing now that I am starting to feel somewhat normal after the most recent surgery (hyst/bso) in Dec. Starting to worry about my kids... yadayadayada... You know, same old, same old. Post stage 2'ers... tell me its all worth it... please. Undecided  (I already KNOW stage 1 was well worth it!)

• Nordy
    edited March 2010

kc - you have to PM Timtam and she will send you the link to the website as well as instructions to access it.

• Cat1
    Cat1 Member Posts: 128
    edited March 2010

Dejaboo - Congrats on 2 years! 

Nordy - 2 weeks!!! Time has flown by and it's almost upon us.  Can't wait to get it started and dreading the after surgery stuff!  I know it go by fast and start feeling better every day but I hate not being able to do stuff for myself.  But I know it's well worth it!   I'll have girls again!

Christy - you'll do great!  Thinking of you this week! 

Melinda - hang in there, you Mom will come around. She's just scared for you! 

Sandy - thanks for sharing - good stuff to know!  Understand your fears for your son.  All my son's close friends are going into the military and I'm so afraid he'll decide to go that route eventually. 

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited March 2010
    Thanks everyone!   Macksix... I did extremely well with the first surgery and Dr S said I could come back in 2 or 3 months for my stage 2. I chose to wait 3 months.  You will be here next week! I bet you are excited.
  • sarabhealed
    sarabhealed Member Posts: 64
    edited March 2010

CHRISTY!  My post-op is at 3:30 so I'm sure we will get to meet! I'm glad I've seen your picture and I'll be in a pink baseball cap.I'm staying at Avenue Plaza which is lovely and got a handicapped room that has made showering so much easier. I've heard Homewood is nice too...

Women with stage II coming up--Arnica Montana gel on my bruises was a godsend!   I am feeling sooo much better today. I think reconstruction is like having a baby (babies?)--the pain passes and you are left with a blessing,..

• anniese
    anniese Member Posts: 69
    edited March 2010

Melinda - I am there next week with you.  My surgery is Monday morning, but I'll be done pretty quick and probably up in a room by late morning or early afternoon.  When is your pre-surgical appt?  Maybe you and your mom could swing by and we could say hi - might help her to see someone that's gone through this doing well also?

Nordy - Stage 2 is SOOOO worth it.  I really wasn't sure at first (right after) but the fine-tuning has turned out to be great!  As you know, I'm headed back for a slight tweak on the right breast next week and am sure that this will turn out great also!  Hopefully, my last surgery and then tatts some time in June......

This thread is so active, I can't believe it takes me so long every Monday to get caught up over the weekend!

• CharlestonGirl
    CharlestonGirl Member Posts: 41
    edited March 2010

Nordy - My stage 2 was done last November & tatts done in January. OMG. SO SO SO worth it!! I step out of the shower (which is right in front of my sink mirror) and every day I smile. Every day! Because my new, wonderful breasts LOOK NORMAL EVEN WHILE I'M NEKKID!!!! If I can get DH to take pics (he just keeps laughing) I'll post those to the site.

Chris

• CharlestonGirl
    CharlestonGirl Member Posts: 41
    edited March 2010

2tzus - I was in Charleston, not NOLA. My bilateral surgery took 11.5 hours. About 3.5 of those hours were associated with the bilateral Mx, so 8 were for the reconstruction. SGAP takes longer than DIEP since you get flipped over a couple of times. My surgery took up all day Tuesday & I was released about mid-day Saturday. That's really only 3 days with Saturday being taken up by the check-out. I didn't watch TV. Had books on tape - didn't listen to them. I usually can't sit still for very long, but I didn't feel antsy. You get checked every couple of hours so you catch sleep when you can, or at least I did. Between visitors & walking as much as I could, there wasn't much time to do anything other than rest. Just getting out of bed takes longer than you would think! At least that's what was true for me.

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited March 2010

Hello all!  I've been reading for a couple of days, but have been too pooped to type.  Passion Parties convention in Vegas was last week, and it was VERY exciting for me, so I didn't get much sleep and had work and parties since I've been home.

Sara!!!  I am SO SO SO thrilled to read that you are doing so well this time around, despite being worn out and sore.  You were on my mind girlie!!!  I stayed at the Avenue Plaza too.  Loved it.  Their courtyard was so gorgeous.  

(((((PAM)))))  Thinking of you honey. 

2tzus~you can ride the street car up and down St. Charles.  It stops right outside the Center.  You can also walk a few blocks over to Magazine Street.

I'm at work and only have a minute.  Wishing everyone safe travels, successful surgeries and speey recoveries!  

xoxoxo

• Nordy
    edited March 2010

Thank  you everyone... I guess it is just time to squish the ANTS!!! LOL

2t - I had bilateral delayed hip flaps and was under for 8 hours. WHICH, is much shorter than many other docs... but I think it is all individual. You will do GREAT!!! 

Anniese - You are getting so close!!! I will be calling you before you go. I still wish we were going to be there at the same time again. I will be thinking of you next week!

Christy - sending positive thoughts, prayers, etc. your way. Woooohoooooo!!!

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited March 2010

anniese- that would be so great! I have my pre op testing at noon and then my appointment with dr s later in the afternoon. I'm going to PM you, thanks for the offer, plus I'd love to meet you.

How does the transportation thing work with them? I have an itinerary and all that but what if I have a pick up time at 4:30 at NOLA but I want to go visit anniese...how does that work?

• anniese
    edited March 2010

Melinda - you can either come visit after your pre-op testing and before you see the doctor, or you can come up after you see the doctor.  If you want to do it after the doctor appt, just let Katie know that you are planning to do that and she can push back your pick up time a little bit....

• anniese
    edited March 2010

Nordy - wish I could be there when you are too!  Just didn't work out this time.  Still trying to convince my husband to make a trip up to Portland to visit friends and see you and your husband again.  Hopefully, this spring!  Looking forward to talking with you soon!

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited March 2010

Jennifer, thanks for the info re: revising the ab scar!  That is really helpful.  It sounds like it can be simple or not depending on whether or not you have the stomach muscles repaired.  It's great to have that choice.  I am still awaiting my Stage 2 date....I hope I hear from them SOON!

Those of you in NOLA and those of you about to go, all the best wishes for a great experience!  I am two weeks out from Stage 1 as of tomorrow and feeling better each day.  I am more and more amazed at how incredible the whole experience and outcome has been!

By the way, Christy, do you think it was helpful to wait the extra month for Stage 2? 

Suzanne

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2010

Marcia, wasn't that horrible! Ick!

Sandy - I loved your account of the positive feelings vs. the FEAR. This is why I cannot stand going to my ONC appts. I feel very empowered in my day to day life, about my diet, supplements, exercise and serenity practices. I've reserached and changed many things. I feel good, look good, eat smart, exercise, yoga, etc. I feel like I am doing everything I can do to be cancer free. This makes me feel good and I generally don't feel the "fear" of recurrance, I focus on what I am doing to prevent it. And I like having a healthy strong body, it feels like the right thing to do anyway. HOWEVER When I go to my ONC appts, I am filled with fear - and reminded, it seems, that I have a life threatening condidition. I HATE IT. ugh. Just ranting, but if I feel this way when I leave that office next time (April) I am changing ONCs. I've decided. so we'll see.

Suzanne, I had my abdominal incision lowered A LOT. Mine was (according to me) very high, it was between my pubic bone and my belly button. I noticed later by looking at the Web site pics that lots of women have their incisions this high. Way above my underwear, it really bothered me. SO, my stage 2 was all about lowering the incision, among other things, but that was my main thing. I also had my addominal muscles stitched together from the navel area on down. the idea is to get a flatter tummy.

The lowering of the incision did require me to have drains again. I left with 2 belly drains, (2 butt drains, but that's another story!) However, this may have been from the muscle stitching, not sure. BE SURE TO ASK if this is important to you. Just ask a lot of quesitons and let them know what you are willing to do and not do, the Docs will help  you decide.  I would not recommend the muscle stitching. I still have a bulge down there, from the surgery, and I'm just not sure it was worth it, 3 months out. I'll let you know at 6, 9, and 12 months. But right now, I had a way flatter tummy before this, so not sure what the deal is!  I must still be healing, but at this moment in time, I wish I would have skipped this.

Spring. 

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited March 2010

Shay T I worked with the Cancer Society and Mercy Medical and got a fliight for just the handling cost Less than 65 dollars for 2 tickets. It may be something else you can look into to cut down on costs. If you want the phone numbers for them PM me, I am getting more nervous by the day. My son is with me 24/7 and is staying with his dad while I am gone. I hope they can get along for that long They are both so head strong (too much alike ask   me) Melinda My mom is also going as my caregiver. I am a little nervous about that. She has a very high threshhold for pain which I don't I want a little sympathy and compassion while I am there. I am sure it will be fine , I Cant wait to meet Nordy and Cat1.     I am staying at Parc St Charles on SUnday and MOnday and then to the Hope Lodge.Prayers to all                                              

• Nordy
    edited March 2010

"Nothing is more important to Merck than the safety of its medicines".... Let me get my wading boots on because the bullsh*t is getting deep!

Spring - thank you so much for posting about the plication! This is something I really needed to know. And the drains from the butt - were they from revision of your hip scars or from the lipo? Thanks!

• Nordy
    edited March 2010

Sallym - Me too!

• BettyeE
    BettyeE Member Posts: 136
    edited March 2010

I'M DRAIN FREE !!!!!!

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited March 2010

Woohoo Bettye!!!  That's awesome!!!!  Good for you!  Congratulations!

Spring, thanks so much for the info re: the ab scar.  I think I will try to have it lowered if possible and will forego the plication.   Who knows, maybe I won't have to have the ab drains then.  But even if I do, I still would like the scar lowered.

I have already noticed how much the swelling has gone down.  Today I wore my pre-surgery jeans (with ab binder of course) but it was so nice to wear them!!  It made me feel normal for some reason.  I know, silly!  But each little step forward makes a difference! 

To the DIEP gals, how long does it take the ab scar to heal enough so you don't have to 'protect' it from clothes?

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited March 2010

As most know i am having the surgery in 2 weeks so... Can I ask what you mean when you say have your ab scar lowered?? Thanks Spring I just love the thread Thanks

• ccbaby
    edited March 2010

I was able to meet Sara (Sarabehealed) and her hubby today at the Center when I went in for pre-op consult! She is such a sweetheart and I found out she lives 3 hours away from me!

I am having quite a few things done during my stage 2. I am sure I will be sore afterward, but like Sara said in her previous post, it will be a BLESSING...

• ccbaby
    edited March 2010

Also, I saw a pic of Minnesota in a scrapbook thanking the surgeons at the Center today! Very cool!

• MargitN
    MargitN Member Posts: 73
    edited March 2010

Spring - if visits to the Oncologist fill you with fear and remind you that you have a life-threatening condition, then I agree with your decision --look for a new oncologist. He or she should be congratulating you on the changes you have made to your lifestlye--I bet the majority of their patients have done next to nothing regarding their lifestyle.

The moment we are diagnosed with cancer, we seem to gravitate to docs who have reputations for the best medical care, but often not the best patient care. If the NOLA docs stand for anything, it is that excellence in medical care and patient care can be found in the same practice. The  women of this thread searched until they found surgeons that excelled at both.

We can find new oncologists too.

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited March 2010

CCbaby,

The "scrapbook" you referred to was put together by a wonderful group of former NOLA patients that frequent the FORCE website. These ladies were some of the "pioneers" of NOLA. They had breakfast gatherings ( in their bathrobes) in the waiting area of the hospital the Docs used back then...I think the hotel attached to it was the McFarland...they posted their screen names on their hospital room doors and to this day we have a special dinner together during the FORCE conference. It was a surprize gift for the Docs and a token of the high esteem and love from the ladies they healed! ..

Does the book look OK? Occaisionally ,we realized it would need to be rebound so if someone gets a good look at it and its beat up let me know & we will fix it up!

Marcia

PS Yes Nordy ...makes you want to be ill (the Merck comment)!