Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited May 2010

Bettye, I am so glad that you received such excellent news!

holtbolt, I had my hysterectomy along with breast revisions and a pelvic floor repair---three surgeons that day!  Celeste coordinated it for me, and it was done at Omega Hospital, before St. Charles opened.  I don't know if they have a gynecologist operating at St. Charles yet.  I had a gynecologic oncologist (Dr. Pui Cheng) and she is wonderful.  At the time, she was only taking new patients already diagnosed with a gyn cancer---I was not able to book an appointment with her myself, but Celeste succeeded.  When I told Dr. Cheng that my mom had uterine cancer after her breast cancer diagnosis, she agreed that it would be wise to have a hysterectomy.   She took photos during the surgery and went over them with me the day after.   One thing I am very grateful for is that she did the surgery entirely through my DIEP incisions, so I ended up with no additional scars.   There were four in the ab incision, and one in the new belly button.  Other than some severe ab pain for a couple of days from the gas used to distend my abdomen, I had no issues at all with the hysterectomy and have had no side effects since.  Combining it with another surgery made it very easy.  Oh, and I did have to do a colon prep, which was not much fun.  I went to NOLA alone that time...wouldn't have been very good company anyway since I was stuck in the bathroom nearly the entire day prior to surgery. 

Suzanne, I left nipple placement up to Dr. D, and he told me that it's very difficut to place them too low on the breast.   I've pretty much left all of that stuff up to him, because he's done this thousands of times and he is the artist!

My trainer allows sharing of workouts, and this week I began sharing a couple of sessions with a nurse.  She happens to know my first plastic surgeon, and was pretty shocked when I told her some of what had happened.  I'm going to have to flash her on Thursday....I could tell she was curious, and I think that my result will really stun her now that I've finished up in NOLA.  She said she's seen a lot of reconstructed breasts, so it will be fun to see her reaction.  I'm sure she will be appalled when I tell her that I had no SCDs (sequential compression devices, which help prevent deep vein thrombosis) on my legs after a 14 hour surgery combined with the plan to keep me non-ambulatory for another two days.

Tammy, I will either send you my scrapbook page or bring it down in person if we can arrange that.  My brother and sister both live near you, so I can combine the delivery with a stop to see one or both of them if it works out before you leave for NOLA.

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited May 2010

kc and Sandy...thanks so much for your responses.  The more I know what to expect, the less surprise and stress there will be.  I appreciate it.

Suzanne

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited May 2010

Sandy, I removed your tweek!  Sandy mystery solved.

NMI - I added your stage 2!!

Jamie love, you have been through the friggin' ringer!!! I can't imagine having a full body rash after surgery, on TOP of surgery. I had rash around where the surgical tape was, and that was bad enough, given I had both front and back and a lot of tape. But still, not like full body! Are you better?

NOW NOW NOW -- BettyeE!! Woot!!! I am so glad to hear you are stabalized and don't need RADs even! What great news! Thank you so much for coming here and letting us know! Enjoy!!

Trisha, you are a riot, with the running skinny bitches. Good Grief!!!  

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited May 2010

Spring~ I am doing okay.  I thought that the rash with the itching was going away BUT last night once I got in bed at home it came back :(  So I took some benedryl and tylenol and feel asleep.  It's still there today but I can not continue to take the benedryl until this evening since I have to take care of my babies.  Even my flap had a rash on it :(  I am thinking that I should have done the steriod shot and dealt with being nasty for a couple of days. 

So the only place I am sore is in my belly and as I said before I asked for it.  :)  Oh and I still need to use the bathroom :(  I thought I wouldn't have this problem but I was under for longer for stage 2 so I will start more than just colace today.  I was hoping to avoid all of the other things but no such luck. 

One other note....I need to call the center... besides my last drain is ready to go I can not remember how long to where everything.  I thought I heard Dr. S say 10 days for nipple guards and 1 week for the outfit but that does not sound right to me. 

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited May 2010

Jamieh - you are having a time of it!! So sorry. It was my understanding that the nipple guards stayed for  a minimum of two weeks, no bra for one month, and the girdle for one week after the last drain is pulled. My info could be wrong as well - so someone please correct me if they know for sure! Although the girdle is a pain, I am still wearing it 90% of the time......if it will help my abdomen stay as flat as it is I will wear it for a very long time!!  :)

• DFW
    DFW Member Posts: 37
    edited May 2010

Just stopped by and all your posts' remind me of my experience in Nola and Dr Dellacroce. He is not only a wonderful Doctor/Surgeon but also his personal side. He shared with me how he finally convinced his Mother to finally move near him, I like a Doctor who doesn't think he has to tall professional all the time and acts for lack of a better word "normal". I still sing his praises to anyone who will listen and my recon was done in 2007.

• Cat1
    Cat1 Member Posts: 128
    edited May 2010

Holtbolt - My plan is to have a full hysterectomy at stage 2 also.  Dr. D said they could do it and Jeanine is working on getting it scheduled.  It's taking her forever but I'm betting getting the two doctor's schedule is part of the problem. 

Sally - Luckily, I wasn't hit by the flood nor any of my family or friends.  I work for Gaylord Opryland and that has been a major mess.  It flooded the hotel, Grand Ole Opry and the mall which is located beside the hotel.  Plus the Wildhorse Salon which is downtown Nashville was also hit.  Our Corp building is the only one not flooded so we are now have all the major folks from the hotel, etc working out of our offices.  It's going to take us months and months to get everything back to normal. 

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited May 2010

My new breast is almost back to normal size! No more huge bras! But my drain went back up to 30. Maybe these things are connected...

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited May 2010

Cat1 So glad to hear you and family and friends are safe. Of coarse, you were the first one I thought of when I heard about the flooding. I, too, have written Jeanine several times to schedule Stage 2.and she has not written back at all. Finally I called Beth to see if I could remove a drain. (answer was yes) So I am only down to 1 drain. I would like to know when my stage 2 will be because I have been out longer than the 6 weeks due to stage 1 1/2 (second surgery) so not sure if I should try to get the dr to do stage 2 when I would just be ready to return to work so as to be counted absent just once not twice, But I wish Jeanine would get back to me.

• Jaimieh
    edited May 2010

I got some clarification at for me nipple guards 3-4 weeks, I can wear a bra (not much work done up top) it just can not be underwird (I am allergic to the black bra), and 2 weeks in the dom. outfit after the last drain.  So 2 weeks from today I will be free since my drain is leaving this afternoon as soon as my DH gets home.  I told him that I would let him do it...lol...  It makes him feel important.  So 4 weeks on the guards for me and 2 more weeks on the pants. Smile

BTW, I am a really pretty shade of black and blue. 

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited May 2010

Jaime: Did you start taking arnica the week before your surgery? I have read here and on dolypo doctor sites that it helps tremendously with the bruising. You can still take it!

Sandy: great, give me a call and we'll get together! I can't wait to se all the pages, so far I have about 6 committments for pages, but haven't received any in the mail yet. soon I hope!

Love the idea of the "peek a boo" page, i thnk they can slide it out of the book (remember the pages are actually sleeves) and look at the secret pages!

• Jaimieh
    edited May 2010

Tammy~ I did but they made me stop when I had the reaction :(  I am slowly adding thing now so I will be doing a test patch to see if that was it.   :)  My page will be coming later but I would be happy to send you some $ now if you would like for the cost.  Just let me know.

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited May 2010

Wow, Miss a couple of days here, miss a lot!! I had to spend 10 minutes of reading to catch up!

((BettyE))  Great news about the radiation!!

Sue... I am going to check out your pics.

Bennetts & Sandy...good luck to you both this week!

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited May 2010

Plication ladies - How long did you wear your black dom after Stage 2?  I did not have plication, but did have a similar repair.  I'm at 2 weeks, and I don't feel quite ready to not have it.  I was told 2 weeks, but it made me wonder if plication would be longer.  Anyone?

• Jaimieh
    edited May 2010

They told me 2 weeks which it will be one tomorrow and there is NO way at 2 weeks I will be ready. After my shower I am in a hurry to get it back on to take some of the pressure off my belly. I am hoping to wean myself off of the outfit within the month ;). Just for reference I was stitched from the belly button down.

• kcshreve
    edited May 2010

Thank you, Jaimieh!  Maybe I can wean off next week, at 3 weeks. I'm at 2 and I am so not comfortable without it.  Makes me wonder if I'm healing correctly - again. Stay calm, stay calm. 

• trainertam
    edited May 2010

Just got the first page for our book in the mail, yippee! I have a suggestion for the rest that are yet to arrive; write on your envelope DO NOT BEND-PHOTOS! I don't want your artwork to be ruined by the post office! (don't worry Sally, yours was not!)

Keep em coming!!

• Jaimieh
    edited May 2010

KC~ You are healing, you are healing.....it just takes a lot of time.  (Now you can remind me of that later)

I came back to check in and yell~ I AM DRAIN FREE!!!!!!  Pulled the last belly out today after it was down to 10cc's.  So now I just need to heal :) 

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited May 2010

Being in Murfreesboro, I thankfully missed all the flooding, but my heart goes out to all in Nashville and what they have and still will have to go through.  So glad you other "Nashville ladies" are ok!

• sueinfl
    sueinfl Member Posts: 105
    edited May 2010

Yay on being drain-free, Jaimie!

I head to a local PS for help with a few stitches that are giving me a tiny bit of problem. He only does implants, so I am looking forward to showing him the new girls. I will ask him how long until I can finally start swimming again. I really miss the water and it would be a great change from just walking everyday. I am back up to a whole hour in the morning again, but only getting about 3 miles. I do not think I will be tackling any half marathons for a while.  ;->

Tammy, I love your pic. You are gorgeous!

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited May 2010

Hooray Jaimie!  What a great feeling--drain free!!!!!

• Jaimieh
    edited May 2010

BTW, I have done 2 - 1/2 marathons with my second being in under 2 hours so if anyone has any training questions I would be happy to help :)  I plan on starting to run again after I get the go ahead this time and finding some races near me now.  Running helps me keep sane. 

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited May 2010

DFW - Dr. D is great!

Jaimie - Congrats on no more drains! So happy for you!

Bennetts1 - Congrats on being on the other side!

Sandy2009 - Good luck tomorrow! Be sure to complement Dr. D on his shoes!

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited May 2010

Great news Jamie!!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited May 2010

Jaimieh - I will definitely be calling on you for tips!!! But not until the end of June... Right now I have 2 different events coming up in June (my first sprint triathlon in Oregon.. but if these final little scabs never fall off my nipples, I won't be able to train for the swim... AND the MS 150 - of which we are only riding the century - (100 miles) in Utah) - SO, I will hold off training for that long of running distance until AFTER the other two things. And then, I will still be biking in there because I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it...   So, hopefully I will at least be able to jog a 5K without walking soon... 

Okay, so for real, is October a do-able date for a get-together in NOLA? Does anyone realize yet that I am seriously anal retentive when it comes to travel plans? LOL (and how embarassing is that!) I really want to register for the run and start looking at travel arrangements - but don't want to drag my family down there if nobody is going to be there with me! okay, so never mind the millions of people that live there... LOL 

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited May 2010

I was at my gyn's office today for another transvag us. ...fun, fun.  My doc had asked me to bring in brochures for The Center when he saw my results.  He was also super impressed and happy that they would do surgery for women with higher BMI's.

So the tech starts telling me about her friend who just finished chemo and had TE's and now implants.  I said how much happier I was now that I didn't have any and just had my own tissue.  She had never heard of a DIEP.  So, of course, I asked her if she wanted to see my results.

Her jaw literally hit the floor when she saw them!!!  She was like OMG they are so real!  My girlfriend's are like hard rocks!  And your nipples look just like mine!  She was floored!  She is sending a brochure to her friend and I gave her my number in case she has questions.

I LOVE my breats.  I seriously do.  LOVE them.  

Oh a sad note.  I have to have another freaking surgery.  Right ovary has to come out because of the complex cyst on it.  I may have them take the uterus too due to multiple fibroids. Bleh.  I wish I would have known in September.  I would have had it done the same time as Stage 2.  This will be surgery number 15 for chrissakes.  

• kcshreve
    edited May 2010

(((Trishia))) I'm sorry to hear of more surgeries. Anymore is just too much sometimes.  On the other hand, I'm so glad you got to show off your great results.  I've been got the same reaction from my primary, my oncologist, and today from my lymphedema therapist - totally impressed.  That does make it fun!

• Jinger
    Jinger Member Posts: 34
    edited May 2010

Trishia:  First, so sorry about the new surgery!!! Fun to hear the story of your nurse; I had the same thing happen with a general surgeon I ended up having to have a little appt. with (checking to see if I had a seroma...) yesterday.  His jaw literally dropped open too...he said "Amazing, incredible..." and I've only had Stage 1!  So fun!  We should probably all have some brochures for the center so we can readily give them out! 

• trainertam
    edited May 2010
    Thank you Sue for the compliment. As many of you, I have been camera shy for a long time(2.5 yrs) ,just not liking anything about myself. The extra weight (40 extra lbs.) and the new body shape that cancer left me with was just too much to look at in a picture. so, for me to even have a recent photo says something. Can't wait till stage 2 is complete, I'll be ready to look at myself again with out crying!
  • Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited May 2010

Oh, Trishia, sorry to hear you need another surgery. I hope it's uneventful and you heal up fast.

Had my CT angiogram today. It was exactly as you described - pretty uneventful. The tech said "You'll feel hot when the material goes in". So I felt hot and felt like I needed the bathroom. Hmm.... a hot flash and needing to pee - been there, done that.

Leah