Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited May 2010

Trishia - Enough already for you!! So sorry about another surgery.  :(  Last August when I had ALL my "female parts" removed, my surgeon used what is called the Da Vinci method......it is a robotic type machine that allows the surgeon to remove the uterus/ovaries/tubes.....with more precision and is much less invasive. I actually had no bleeding after mine, and although was a bit uncomfortable from the gas they used to blow me up - I had no pain. Recovery time was much less than a traditional hysterectomy, and less than the laproscopic method as well. I had six small incisions, none of which are visible less than a year later. You may want to google DaVinci surgery to get a better understanding of what I am talking about.

Ladies - if you are trying to get more protein in you daily diet you may want to try the "oh Yeah" brand of protein drinks`THEY ARE DELICIOUS!! 32 gms protein, lactose free, very low in sugar, and again - they taste great!! "Oh Yeah" also has protein bars - the original tastes like a snickers bar....yummmy!! You may want to check and see if your local helath food store carries the brand - I buy them in Phoenix at Hi Health - and you can order them on the web as well!!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited May 2010

LouAnn - I also had the Davinci for my bso/hyst in Dec. I have highly recommended my surgeon to Trishia (we live in the same state)- he is a gyn/onc and is so fabulous! Like you, the pain/pressure from all the gas was the biggest issue... but I only have 5 incisions... one at my belly button and 4 other very small ones.

Another tip for increasing protein - eat Greek yogurt... and not that disgusting fake stuff that Yoplait has started putting out! Fage is the best brand and Chiobani and Oikos are not bad either. You will get somewhere close to 20g of protein per serving vs the 10'ish you get with regular yogurt. Just read your labels - real Greek yogurt does not have a bunch of fillers or added protein in it... just milk and live cultures. I love mine in the morning with some granola and agave nectar! Yum!

• trainertam
    trainertam Member Posts: 114
    edited May 2010

http://www.youngsurvivorsconference.org/mp3/Workshop%20S%20-%20Breast%20Reconstruction%20.%20You%20Have%20Options.MP3

I'm hoping this link works!!! It is a fascinating opportunity to listen to Dr. D give his talk at the Breast Cancer convention in Atlanta this past Feb. He's a realy good speaker, and it totally confirms our decision to go to him and Dr. S!

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited May 2010

I LOVE greek yogurt!  I eat it every morning with fresh fruit and homemade granola I buy at the health food store.  You know, I grew up on a low fat everything.....reading fat and calorie content first.  This past year, I started reading ingredients first, and basing my food purchases on that only.  I feel SO much better.  No high fructose corn syrup or partially hyrdoganated oils here.  We've been doing organic milk and eggs  and farm raised beef for years.  But I really didn't know that all the 'low fat' foods were actually making me fatter and messing with my metabolism!  If you haven't seen it yet, watch Food, Inc.  BIG TIME eye opener. 

Nordy~I have a call into your doc again.  Hoping to hear today!  LouAnn~thank you for sharing with me.  It makes me feel so much better reading that it is doable.  

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited May 2010

Has anyone else had trouble getting a response from Jeanine. I have written 4 times within a week and no response. I faxed papers to her on last Friday and other than getting an email saying she got the papers and would call me on Monday I have not heard a peep. ( no call on Monday) I called on Thrusday and Trish told me that alot of girls were in training. The papers have to do with my pay and now I won't get paid next week because paperwork did not get back to Met Life. Any suggestions?

Tricia Sorry about another surgery. I have had so many I have lost count. The plastic surgery up here would not do the breast surgery from my stomach because she said I had too many surgery. Then along comes miracle doctors.

Nordy I am into coming in October. I have Vacation time that I can use, unfortuately the can deny it and I would not know if it was granted until 2 weeks prior. But I am still planning on going

Trainertam.. sending the picture tommorrow. I dont take good pics so if you don't want to include it no offense taken

• sheridangirl
    sheridangirl Member Posts: 75
    edited May 2010

WOW, this is busy post. I have a headache from all of the information.

I spoke to Liz today and I told her to schedule stage 1 sometime the end of June or July. Then I will have stage 2 scheduled for the end of October...I won't be there for the race but I would love to meet all of you. This is such a positive and lively thread!!

Tammy, I know what you are saying about not liking the way you look. I have gained so much weight in the last 5 years and after all of the stress from cancer and surgeries...etc... I look like HELL... I am only 49 and I look and feel like I am 70....I really hope that getting new natural boobs will get me motivated ... 

Sally, so glad you are home and that you are feeling better.

Jamie, I have a very reactive body too. I am allergic to so many things...I even get blisters from bandaids... If you get the shot, get Prednisone...I have had the Decadron shots and believe me... you are better off without them... The first time I got one, my back and legs really hurt for days and worse yet, it shocked my adrenal gland and I had to take cortisol replacement for about 4 years after that... I was just given a shot a few months ago to take down swelling in my muscles caused by the tissue expanders. I had no idea that they were going to give me that stuff... My legs and back hurt again and my legs crawled for 3 days after that shot... Thankfully, no problem with the adrenal glands this time...

Trisha, Sorry you have to do another surgery...

So, what should I do to get ready for Stage 1 ??? I have been walking every night and am drinking green tea and taking vitamin B, C and glucosamine and MSM.

Is it true that protein helps the body to rid itself of fluid ???? How much protein should I eat??? What else should I be doing??? What should I take to the hospital?

How do I tell my current PS that I am going elsewhere? I really like him and he did a good job. My body just doesn't like the implants....I don't want to hurt him and I feel bad...

Thanks again for all of your help !

Lynn

• sallym
    sallym Member Posts: 180
    edited May 2010

Lynn for Stage 1 you dont need to take much with you. You are in hospital gown for the whole time in the hospital and very loose clothes afterwards. I had surgery on Tuesday. For me I got out of the hospital on Saturday and had post op on Monday and flew home on Tuesday. They give you all the dressings you will need and they have a bathrobe for you at the hospital,  Good Luck I am going to do stage 2 hopefully the month of July

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited May 2010

Lynn~ I would just tell your PS that you do not think that your body could handle the implants for the long term so you are leaning toward using your own tissue.  Then tell him that you really liked him and you would like to know if you have any problems if you could come to him.  This is a way of saying you are a fantastic doctor but I am using my own tissue. 

• Jinger
    Jinger Member Posts: 34
    edited May 2010

Lynn,

I had my Stage 1 on March 30, and will have Stage 2 on June 24...maybe we'll be there at the same time!

I got ready by taking/doing: Multi Vit (no iron...didn't want any constipation issues), Vit C 2x/day, Vit D; Listened to meditations and surgery meditations (these were awesome to have in my head, too, when laying in the hospital bed and dealing with any pain or issues afterward); Ate/drank no caffeine, alcohol, sugars, preservatives, fried foods; DID eat lots of veggies, fruits, whole grains and protein (Proteins I had were cottage cheese, eggs, egg whites, tuna, cheese, chicken, fish, some beef, pork tenderloin, cheese sticks for snacks, hard-boiled egg whites); drank TONS of water

Also, I got very itchy from the morphine (?) and the hospital gown made it much worse.  I changed into my own pajamas as soon as I could and would have liked to have more than one pair there. (Loose top that could pull up or down as needed and loose fitting, tie bottoms.

I liked having vaseline for my lips, hand lotion, face moisturizer, sugar-free hard candies (1st artificial sweetener in forever...they tasted great!), a hand-held fan, a little notebook and pen, headbands and hairclips, cortaid cream for the itchiness, and normal stuff like toothbrush, etc.  

I'll look for your surgery date and hope to see you there.

Walked a few miles a day and did pilates and stretching.

Tried really, really hard to adopt a "go with it" attitude...tried not resist the pain, the journey, etc.

I had such a good experience, and hope that you do, too! 

• holtbolt
    holtbolt Member Posts: 302
    edited May 2010

Sandy2009... hope everything went well today! 

Jamie.. congrats on being drain free...

thanks everyone for chiming in on the hysterectomy question... meeting with my local GYN Tuesday to get more info ... Jeanine is checking to see if it's even possible to do it 5/21... also doing my bloodwork Tuesday too... omg.... time flew by between Stages 1 and 2... can't believe it's almost time already to go back...  I can't keep up with thread and where everyone is with their healing/stages, etc.... but I hope everyone has a restful painfree weekend..... Smile

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited May 2010

What to tell your PS - I know it's awkward doing a switch.  My local PS took 12-14 hours to do a diep w/ a possible tram switch.  No way. He was great in explaining everything, very supportive, really  nice guy - but no way was I going to get into that tram-switch deal.  My dh really liked him, but I was not so convinced.  Later, I wrote him a letter explaining that I really liked him, but I needed a definite and solid DIEP, so I'd be going elsewhere.  He wrote me back and said he'd be available if I needed anything else.  After Stage 1, I did have him look at an area on my tummy which I thought might be a seroma.  He was friendly and still supportive, even though he did not do the work.  Of course, he wanted to see my results, and was very impressed.  You have to be true to yourself on this one.  You've got one chance to use that one area of tissue for yourself.  You come first.

• mileha
    mileha Member Posts: 48
    edited May 2010

How long do you have to wear the black bra? Can I switch it to another?

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited May 2010

Sometimes I have had to "push" a little to get a response from Jeanine...  I think she is just really, really, busy, but don't be afraid to email her and let her know how important it is to get that paperwork back.  I have gone as far as out in the 1st sentence "please read all this email" because sometimes they are so busy, then tend to just "skim" them. Don't feel bad about asking for what you need and they will see it gets done.

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited May 2010

Tammy - Thanks so much for posting the link to Dr. DellaCroce's presentation - I only wish they had the visuals to go along with it! But it was great, anyway!

Trishia - Another surgery? That's the pits! So sorry!

Nordy - My husband and I always go to New Orleans over Halloween, so we'll be there. Also, if I need a stage 3 - which I may need if I want to get Sandy's nipples - I don't know yet - then I'll definitely schedule it for then.

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited May 2010

Hi,

its been a few weeks since I have been here.

I am over 500 posts behind. 

I hope everyone is doing good after their surgeries.

Bettye- that is great News!

Gin- Hope your treatments are treating you ok.

Trisha- Sorry that you have to have more Surgery : (

Sallym- I have been waiting to hear back from Jeanine since Monday.  I do think they need another Nurse to help with all their traveling patients.

Im sure I am missing others...those are jsut the posts I remember from a couple pages back.

MN- Sandy is giving her Nipples away on Halloween?

I did not go back far enough to see what is happening over Halloween?

I may redo Stage 2.  And need to figure out when I would do that- If I do that.

I am 1 month out tomorrow.  I still hurt alot.  This stage was very hard- almost as hard as stage 1 for me.  And I didnt have alot done.

My Scabs on my Incisions near my nips (but not my Nips) refuse to heal...they just keep oozing & falling off & then re forming. They are 3/8 wide scabs.  Im beginging to think they will never heal.  I have 1 hole on my breast incision that wont heal.  And an spot/hole on my hip opened up 2 days ago & is oozing too : (

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited May 2010

LOL, Pam, I am NOT giving up another cc of nipple!!  I finally stopped my diligent use of the nipple guards last week, one week short of six months of continual use.  Well, the nips are a lot smaller and softer, and the right is noticeably smaller than the left.   I am going to have my last revision on 10/29 after speaking with Jeanine yesterday.   I'm not sure if there are any surgical options left for building up the nips, but may ask for some Radiesse.  The structure is there after having them re-done, but they need something inside to give them some attitude.  If Dr. D uses Alloderm to build up behind the tattoos, maybe he can do something inside the nips too, but this will be the last procedure because my DH made me promise.  I'm also going to ask to have the ab incision tightened up.  I never got to go though the three weeks of hunching over/back pain, and would like to be pulled tight enough to experience that!

Can we plan a trip to the House of Shock for 10/28? It's an awesome haunted house near Hope Lodge.   We will want to share a taxi, as it's a long ride and a bit expensive for both ways. 

Sandy2009 is out of surgery, feeling and looking good!!

• Nordy
    edited May 2010

Okay, hurray for Halloween in NOLA!!! I am going to book my 1/2 marathon now... Jaimie - get ready to give me tips soon! Now... just to figure out where to stay. I keep thinking the Homewood, but the rates aren't nearly as good as when you get them through the center (like I should be surprised about this!). I just think it is convenient to have someplace that includes breakfast.

Yes, Trishia - I agree - reading labels is so, so important. You would be amazed at all the cr*p they put in our food. My husband has lost 10 pounds just by eating a more natural, whole food diet. And we purchased pastured beef this year as well as joined a local farmer's co-op for fresh fruits and veggies (besides the ones that we grow). Hurray for the local farmer!

• Nordy
    edited May 2010

Okay, hurray for Halloween in NOLA!!! I am going to book my 1/2 marathon now... Jaimie - get ready to give me tips soon! Now... just to figure out where to stay. I keep thinking the Homewood, but the rates aren't nearly as good as when you get them through the center (like I should be surprised about this!). I just think it is convenient to have someplace that includes breakfast.

Yes, Trishia - I agree - reading labels is so, so important. You would be amazed at all the cr*p they put in our food. My husband has lost 10 pounds just by eating a more natural, whole food diet. And we purchased pastured beef this year as well as joined a local farmer's co-op for fresh fruits and veggies (besides the ones that we grow). Hurray for the local farmer! (PS - Have you heard from my doc's office yet?)

Hi Pam! I hope the Center calls you back soon on those open wounds!

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited May 2010

Pam, good to see you back here...sorry you are still having issues, but I have been there, so I understand!

Only 6 more weekly chemos...  If all goes well, I will set up stage 2 after that but think I have to wait a while after chemo finishes, and chemo brain wont let me remember how long that is.  Hey! Maybe I can do it in Oct to be there with everyone!!  I'll have to see how that may go.  I know I have to wait till I have short term disability available again and see what its going to cost me oop.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited May 2010

Another option that you can do if you go at Halloween is take the streetcar until the end and then there is a cab stand at the end.  If not call either at Walgreen or call United Cabs ahead of time and they should have a cab there.  I honestly LOVED riding the streetcar.  We meet a streetcar driver named Melvin who honestly helped us so much.  My last day in NOLA I was hurting after going to the quarters and he needed to get his car on time so he waited for us to get out of a restaurant (we were getting carry out) to get back on schedule so we didn't have to wait.  So I absolutely adore taking the streetcar.  I am odd :) 

Pam~ I sure hope you start to heal soon. 

Nordy~ I am ready to help I have trained a couple of ways and my last 1/2 I did in under 2 hours with a cold on the Baltimore course which is known as a really tough course lots, and lots of hills.  I can't wait to start training again.  I have about 4-5 more weeks and then my slacking is over. 

• Nordy
    edited May 2010

Jaimie - We loved riding the streetcar too! In fact the one day, we just had Katie cancel our car for the day because we were having so much fun riding it around. I will be ready to start training for the 1/2 at the beginning of July... until then, like I said, I have a couple other events! 

Okay, so am going to book my air tonight... then go from there. Woooohoooooo! I think we will fly in early the 28th and leave the 2nd. Unsure where we are staying yet. Likely the Homewood or the Hampton Inn downtown (near Canal). This is going to be FUN. 

• Trishia
    edited May 2010

Nordy~I am still waiting for a call back.  I have left 2 messages. 

Hubby and I are totally in for Halloween in NOLA!  I may not do the run, as I think I am going to do my next surgery end of Aug, beginning of September, as that is a slow time for me with parties.  Could I walk it in under 4 hours?  Hmmm....

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited May 2010

Pam!!  I am so sorry you are having problems again!! Do you think you have some sort of infection in your body causing the incisions not to heal?

• Nordy
    edited May 2010
    Trishia - I have his home number... LOL... do you want me to call? Wink (seriously, do you want me to?) Yes, you could totally walk it in under 4 hours... I think!
  • Trishia
    edited May 2010

LOL!  Not yet!  But if I don't get a call soon, I may take you up on that. 

Pam, honey...I wish this could be easier for you.  ENOUGH already!  Surrounding you in loving, healing energy. 

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited May 2010

Minn, Good-bye to BIG BRA!!

Jamie, hope the itchiness is better

I have been so insane at work I have not been able to read all the last 2+ pages of posts. If anybody wants to be added to the list and I missed you, pls let me know. TY! 

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited May 2010
    Stage 2 Lipo - I'm fairly sure Dr S did some lipo above my belly button, upper midline abdomen.  I'm 2.5 weeks post-op and it continues to be SO sore!!  The other places aren't sore anymore at all.  Did anyone have lingering strong soreness this far afterward?  
  • Nordy
    edited May 2010

KC - I had some lipo on my inner legs - just above my knees and it seemed like it took FOREVER to go away in that particular area. I think we just have some places that are more sensitive than others!

I am booking my airline tickets for October... oooohhhh, I am so excited!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited May 2010

I just read more...

Trisha, sorry you have another surgery. I am sure you are sick of it! But just think, more parts out that can not get cancer!!! ha - but seriously! 

Pam, your recovery sounds hard, I am sure you are in touch with NOLA about your issues, right? Have you sent pics?

KC - Stage 2 was rough for me too, I remember at 5 weeks out, feeling like I had 'had it' already. it took a long time to get to "normal" again. I think, sometimes, it just takes recovery time to heal up...  

• camiam
    camiam Member Posts: 66
    edited May 2010

KC- I'm 6 weeks out from stage 1; Dr S did some MINOR lipo on both my outer thighs (harvesting fat to augment my old reconstructed breast), and at 6 weeks out, the lipo'd spots are the only pain I still have left. And it's more than minor pain; it hurts like I have major bruising on both my outer legs (though the actual bruising has mostly faded). SIX WEEKS LATER! :-O  I just started running this week, actually, and I thought my chest would ache with the bouncing, but it hasn't hurt or bothered me at all. The only pain I had when I first started jogging was guess where? The outsides of my thighs, from the lipo. It feels like someone is punching me in either outer thigh, every step I jog. That lipo is serious stuff! And apparently very, very slow in healing. So take heart, it's normal. :) Just a "pain" for a while, a good long while. But I do believe it's worth it.